Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 102 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 102 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in America, but removed to Chicago after two
years, in 1850. He served as deputy sheriff,
under Sheriff Wilson, during John Wentworth's
administration as mayor of Chicago. He con-
ducted a hotel at Summit for some time, and
subsequently went to Joliet, where he owned
and operated the Atlantic House, a first-class
hotel. He was located there at the time of his
death.

Mrs. Lewis Jones was a suitable helpmate and
worthy of the office assigned her by her marriage
to Mr. Jones. She was born in 1826, on Free-
man Street, Tenterground, Spitalfields, London,
England, and passed away in that city October
31, 1897. She came to America in 1860, and
spent two years in the United States. Her re-
mains were interred in New Cemetery, London.



After the death of her first husband she married
her cousin, Jacob Abrahams, and her children
were: Barney and Sarah.

The children of Lewis Jones were named as
follows: Maurice Lewis, John and Esther. The
daughter married Michael Harris, and resides in
London, England. John married Sarah Voss,
and lives in Liverpool.

Maurice L. Jones reached New York in April,
1857, and was employed by W. H. Watts, in a
tobacco factory for eighteen months, in New
York. In May, 1860, he located in Chicago, and
was nine months in the service of Solomon &
Oppenheimer, cigar manufacturers. He then
established a business for himself at No. 132
North Halsted Street. He subsequently opened
a store on Archer Avenue, near Halsted Street,
and was manufacturing there, also. In January,
1875, he moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and
remained one year. On his return to Chicago he
opened a store in the City Hotel building, on
Sixteenth Street, between State Street and
Wabash Avenue. He continued successfully
eight years, and then moved across the street, to
remain until March, 1894, when he retired from
active business life.

September 14, 1870, Mr. Jones was married to
Miss Rosie Hass, daughter of Moses and Sarah
(Loeb) Hass. Mrs. Jones was born December
20, 1848, in the city of Trier, Germany, and



F. M. KUMMEROW.



675



came to America in 1865. Her children are as
follows: Emma, born Septembers, 1871; Lewis
Maurice, August 26, 1873; Harry Moses, August
31, 1875, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Bella, Sep-
tember 23, 1877; Alfred, January 24, 1880; Lillian,
July 28, 1882; Hattie Gertrude, April n, 1885,
and Walter Cerf, February 16, 1889.

Mr. Jones is a member of Maurice Mayer



Lodge No. 105, Independent Order of Bnai
Brith, in which he has held the office of outside
guardian. He is a Free Mason, and is connected
with Abraham Lincoln Lodge No. 49, Free Sons
of Israel. Though never a seeker after public
office, he votes in favor of the Republican party,
and is ever found on the side of right, in all
questions.



FRED M. KUMMEROW.



f~RED MARTIN KUMMEROW is one of the
r^ best known and most highly esteemed mem-
I bers of a profession which mitigates the hor-
rors of death, ministers to the sorrowing hearts
of the afflicted and performs the last sad rites for
those who have entered upon the sleep that
knows no waking. He is a member of the un-
dertaking firm of Kummerow Brothers, whose
well-equipped establishment is located at No.
532 West Chicago Avenue.

He was born at Breesen, Mecklenburg-Schwe-
rin, Germany, January 3, 1855. His parents,
Frederick and Frederica Kummerow, were the
heads of a family of eleven children, all of whom
ultimately became residents of Chicago. The
eldest (Sophia) married Christ Dreyving and
with her husband settled here in 1863. Three
years later she died here, of cholera. Her sister,
Minnie, came with her. She married Henry
Rossow, but is now deceased. The third sister,
Frederica, married Christoph Kuehn, in Ger-
many, came to Chicago in 1865, and died the fol-
lowing year.

Brief as was their life in the new land in which
they had found homes, these noble women did
not fail to remember the dear ones whom they
had left behind. Money was remitted, and in
1866, the parents crossed the ocean, bringing



with them the eight other members of the brood
with which God had blessed them.

Frederick Kummerow began his life in Amer-
ica as a laborer. While he received but a small
stipend for his daily toil, his industry and thrift
went far toward compensating him for a mean
remuneration. Gradual savings resulted in rich
accumulation, and finally he was able to start in
business for himself. To-day, at the age of eighty-
five years, he enjoys the rest earned by the con-
joint labor of his hands and brain. Yet he lacks
the kindly tendance of the wife of his youth, who
died in 1885.

Seven of his children are still living (1899):
Mary, now Mrs. John Mueller, living on West
Chicago Avenue, Chicago; Charles; Anna, the
wife of August Harloff; Dorothy, now Mrs.
Peters, of No. 400 Noble Street; Christian and
Fred, twins; and Christina,, now Mrs. Herman
Borck.

Fred M. Kummerow received his early educa-
tion at the parish school of St. John's in the city
of Chicago. This training was supplemented by
attendance upon a night school, and in due course
he was apprenticed to a trade. His choice dic-
tated that of hardwood polishing, and at this he
attained remarkable proficiency. It was not
until 1877, after he had been for many years a



676



V. A. DANIELSEN.



resident of Chicago, that he started in business
for himself. His partner was Fred H. Drake,
and the firm conducted a general undertaking and
livery business for nearly a year. Then Mr.
Kummerow began to perceive that undertaking
was a profession, rather than a pursuit. For
two years he studied its scientific aspects, re-
ceiving a diploma at the end of each examina-
tion which he was required to undergo.

In January, 1886, he received into partnership
his brother, Charles, the business having been since
conducted under the firm name of Kummerow
Brothers. The present extensive building oc-
cupied by them was erected in 1895. In con-
nection with their business as funeral directors,
the brothers also carry on a flourishing livery
business.



In politics Mr. Kummerow is an ardent Re-
publican. In 1891 he was his party's candidate
for alderman in the Thirteenth Ward, although
not successful. He is a stockholder and director
in the Home Building, Loan & Savings Associa-
tion.

The story of his life would be imperfect, how-
ever, without the recital of the tale of his mar-
riage. June 4, 1876, he married Miss Fred-
erica Louise Kleinfeld. Mrs. Kummerow was
born in Germany. She bore her husband five
children. Of these four are yet living, Minnie,
Louis, Ella and George.

The family is highly esteemed in the section
of the city where it resides. Earnest efforts and
patient industry, when joined to unassailable in-
tegrity, always command respect.



VIGGO A. DANIELSEN.



QIIGGO ALEXIUS DANIELSEN, supreme

\ / secretary of the Danish Brotherhood of
V America and a well-known citizen of Chi-
cago, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, July
12, 1846. He is the youngest of the nine chil-
dren of Daniel P. and Hennenge (Hede) Daniel-
sen. The former represented an important fam-
ily in Copenhagen, where he was born. He
learned the trade of shoemaker and had a place
of business in his native city for many years, dy-
ing at the age of forty-eight years. His wife
was born at Nyhjobing, Mors, Denmark, and
died in Copenhagen, at the age of forty-four
years.

Of their nine children only two are living,
Viggo and a daughter, Mrs. Thora Hansen, now
a resident of Slagelse, Denmark. Viggo A.
Danielsen attended the schools of his native city



until he reached the age of fifteen years. He
then acquired a good elementary education and
entered a store as clerk. He showed marked
aptitude for the work and soon became book-
keeper for a large mercantile firm.

In 1864 Viggo A. Danielsen had his patriotism
stirred by rumors of the war between his own
country and Germany and he entered the Danish
army. As he had been well educated in music
he became a musician. He served faithfully three
and one-half years and after six months at home
re-enlisted. He served in all about fourteen years.
At first he played the cornet in the regimental
band. This was succeeded by the trombone, but
he was able to play any instrument. At the end
of his military career, Mr. Danielsen again took
up bookkeeping, which occupation he followed
until 1882.



GEORGE LARSEN.



677



Believing he would find a greater field of ac-
tivity in America he crossed the Atlantic ocean
and proceeded to Moline, Illinois, where he was
engaged by the Moline Plow Company for six-
teen months. In 1883 he came to Chicago and
entered the factory of David Bradley Plow Com-
pany as painter. He served this concern until
1892, when he was elected supreme secretary of
the Danish Brotherhood. Since that time the
duties of that office have occupied a large part of
his time and so successful has been his execution
of the duties of his office that he has been re-
peatedly re-elected, his present term expiring in
1902.

The man whose name heads this article has



also taken active interest in the proceedings of
various other societies. He was president of the
Danish Veterans' Society three terms and has
always held some office in the society. He is
also a member of the Society Dania, and of the
Danish Singing Society, Harmonien, he hav-
ing been trustee of the latter. He is active in
the interests of the Democratic party, being a
prominent member of the Scandinavian Demo-
cratic Club of Cook County.

In 1875 Mr. Danielsen was married in Copen-
hagen, to Miss Betty Swanson, a native of
Sweden. They have two children now living,
Axel, a musician, of Chicago, and Betty, residing
with her parents.



GEORGE LARSEN.



LARSEN, dealer in wines and
|_ liquors at No. 239 Milwaukee Avenue, was
V.J born at Skjelskor, Denmark, November 27,
1846. His father, John York Larsen, was a
prominent mason contractor of that place, where
he died at the age of fifty-three years. The
elder L,arsen married Maria Petersen, who sur-
vived him, passing away in her sixty-third year.
Five of their six children are still living. George
was the third in order of birth. His early educa-
tional advantages were the best that the locality
afforded, but at the age of fourteen years he left
school to assist his father in his business. For
nine years thereafter he remained at home, but
in 1869, an overmastering impulse to hew out
his fortunes in a strange land induced him to
emigrate.

Landing at New York in 1869, he came at once
to Chicago. Among his fellow passengers from
Denmark were Henry Hertz and the Thorsen
family. His first employment was found upon a



farm, and later he worked in a hotel. In 1872
he started in business as proprietor of the Aurora
Hall, located on Milwaukee Avenue. He was
genial and popular, and before long was given
the sobriquet of "Aurora," from his connection
with that place of resort. He was also the foun-
der of one of the earliest Danish newspapers
published in the city, the Sunday Post. This
was the first paper in Chicago to employ illus-
trations.

He remained at Aurora Hall but a short time,
when he sold out his business. During the next
twenty-five years he was located at different
points, having been during that period fifteen
years in the employ of Jacob Wolfort and Mahler
& Gale in one place. Finally he again opened
an establishment of his own. After being two
years on Milwaukee Avenue he removed to
Grand Avenue, near Hoyne. His business pros-
pered, and in 1891 he built a handsome home at
Cragin, at a cost of five thousand dollars. At



678



N. C. ANDERSEN.



one time he was interested in a patent medicine
and electric battery business, which was suc-
cessful.

Other places of trust which he has filled have
been a clerkship in Judge Bauer's court and the
post of manager of a hotel and saloon at No. 219
Milwaukee Avenue, for the owner, Mrs. Hansen,
which was long a favorite resort for the Danish
residents of Chicago. In 1897 ^ e opened his
present establishment, a finely appointed and
well-conducted wine room.

He married, in 1872, Miss Elizabeth C. Meyer,



who is also a native of Denmark, born in Copen-
hagen. Of the four children who were the fruit
of this marriage, two are living, Axel and Elsie.

Mr. Larsen is a member of the Denmark
Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and of the Har-
monien Singing Society. Politically he is a
Democrat of the strictest faith, being a promi-
nent member of the Harrison Guards and of the
Scandinavian Democratic Association.

Two brothers and a sister reside at Copen-
hagen, all well-to-do and enjoying desirable posi-
tions in society.



NIELS C ANDERSEN.



CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN, grocer,
nV of No. 234 North Elizabeth Street, enjoys
1/9 an enviable reputation among Danish-
Americans in Chicago. He was born at Jylland,
Denmark, on December 8, 1861, being the second
child and second son of Anders P. Jensen and
Anna Catherine I/arsdatter. His father, who
was at the time of his marriage and still is, a
prosperous farmer, is living (1899), at the age of
sixty-three years. Mrs. Andersen, Senior, died
at the age of thirty-five years. Eight children
were born of this marriage and all reached ma-
turity.

Mr. Andersen's childhood and early youth
were spent at home, his time being divided be-
tween attending school in the summer and work-
ing upon the farm during the winter. Indeed,
he first began to assist in farm work when he was
eight years old. At the age of thirteen years he
left school, and a year later began earning money
for himself. By the time he was eighteen he
had accumulated enough money to enable him to
emigrate to America, and on April 25, 1880, he
walked the streets of Chicago for the first time.



In worldly wealth he was very poor; he had but
two cents in his pocket. But he was rich in the
qualities which, when properly employed, count
for far more than money intelligence and grit.

Fortune favored him, and he soon secured em-
ployment with C. F. Rasmussen. At first he
received but eight dollars per month, but his em-
ployer recognized his capability and integrity by
increasing his compensation from time to time,
until, at the end of three years, he was in receipt
of thirty dollars per month.

With his savings he embarked in the milk
business at No. 22 Bismarck Court, and con-
tinued in this line until 1894. In that year he
disposed of his route, good will, wagons, cans
and so forth, and engaged in the trade of a
grocer, although still selling milk in connection
with his other commodities.

Mr. Andersen has been twice married. His
first wife, Matilda Nelson, died February 25,
1888. One daughter was born to them, Aimie
Catherine, who has now reached the age of four-
teen years. His second wife was Miss Eliza
Catherine Hansen, by whom he has had one son,



JOHN MERKI. EDWARD HANSEN.



679



Arthur Christian, born in 1891. He is a past
worthy member of Wicker Park L,odge No. 28,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

In every essential particular Mr. Andersen is
a thoroughly self-made man. His capital of two
cents has grown and multiplied, until the
friendless immigrant has become the prosperous



man of business. Yet its manifold multiplication
has been the result of no fortunate speculation.
No wind of political patronage has filled the sails
of his business. He owes his success to that
singleness of purpose which has already made so
many of his countrymen prominent figures in the
business world.



JOHN MERKI.



(JOHN MERKI, JUNIOR, the second son of

I John and Agatha Merki, was born at Corn-

G) ing, New York, September 17, 1854. A

sketch of the lives of his parents may be found

elsewhere in this volume.

When he was two years old the family removed
to Chicago. John was educated in the public
schools of the city and at Deyrenfurth College.
At the age of nineteen he was apprenticed to the
trade of a harness-maker, and served the pre-
scribed period of three years. He then began
work as a journeyman, but after two years so
spent he entered the employ of the Chicago &
Northwestern Railway Company, as a laborer.
Here his industry and fidelity were soon recog-
nized, and gradual promotion in the company's
service followed, he being at present general fore-



man of the freight department at the State Street
station. This steady advancement to a post of
such great responsibility, and one which calls
for a high order of integrity and executive capac-
ity, is in itself a convincing proof of the con-
fidence felt by his superiors in his ability.

December 30, 1876, he was married to Miss
Emma H. Pauly, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Edward H. Pauly. To Mr. and Mrs. Merki
have been born two sons, Emil and John, and a
daughter who bears the names of her two grand-
mothers, Agatha Ida.

In politics Mr. Merki is a Democrat, but has
at no time either sought or desired office. The
members of the family are connected with the
Christian Church, and are highly esteemed in the
large circle of friends in which they move.



EDWARD HANSEN.



[~~DWARD HANSEN, now deceased, was,
ry during his lifetime, a man known and
|__ esteemed through a wide circle of acquaint-
ances. Born near Christiana, Norway, February



22, 1860, he received his early training in the
common schools of his native place. At the age
of fourteen years he left school to begin work for
an elder brother. While yet a very young man



68o



J. M. PEDERSEN.



he was imbued with a desire to emigrate to
America; and as soon as circumstances favored,
he carried his project into execution.

His first employment in this country was in a
rolling mill at Pittsburgh, where he remained
until 1882. In that year he came to Chicago.
For three years after reaching this city he worked
in the Malleable Iron Works, and later for the
McCormick Harvester Company and other con-
cerns, until he engaged in the bakery business.
His first venture in this line was on Grand
Avenue, and there he remained until 1889, in
which year he removed to Center Avenue. Two
years afterward he established himself at No. 277
West Erie Street. His death occurred in 1896,
at his home on West Superior Street, and from
there his remains were borne to Mount Olivet
Cemetery.

His demise was deeply deplored. All over the
northwestern section of the city his recognized
integrity and genial disposition had won him



friends, who united in paying him a last sad
tribute of affection. One of his friends wrote a
commemorative ode which was sung at his funeral.
He was a member of the Royal Arcanum and of
one of the workingmen's societies, in the councils
of both of which he took a prominent part.

His widow, Mrs. Brunhilda (Hulst) Hansen,
is a native of Norway, having been born at
BodOe, December 4, 1855. She was educated in
the schools of her birthplace, and at the age of
twenty-seven years came to Chicago, alone. Here
she married Mr. Hansen February 2, 1882. The
union was blessed with four children: Leif,
Lillian, Walter and Edward. Mr. Hansen had
an adopted daughter, Hilda, born in Norway,
who now resides with her foster mother.

Mrs. Hansen still carries on the business of her
late husband. She is an active member of the
Norwegian Lutheran Church, and an earnest
worker in the Aid Society and Children's Home
Society of that body.



JOHN M. PEDERSEN.



(JOHN MARTIN PEDERSEN. No class of
I men is more deservedly held in high esteem
(*/ than are the competent funeral directors.
To the house of death they come, with noiseless
tread and with the look and word of sympathy,
robbing bereavement of its exterior gloom and
effacing, with their skilful touch, the incipient
traces of decay. With this highly honorable
and honored profession John M. Pedersen is as-
sociation.

By birth he is a Norwegian, having been born
at Christianssund, in that countr}', February 25,
1871, and is the only child, living, of the three
born to Peden A. and Eliza (Jensen) Pedersen.
His mother died at the age of fifty-six years,
but his father is still an honored resident of the



place where he was born. It is somewhat a
cause for surprise that he did not become a
cooper, his paternal ancestors having followed
that trade through three generations, and the fa-
ther of John M. being yet a skilful workman.
On leaving school, however (at the age of fif-
teen years and eight months), he entered the
employ of a merchant and exporter of his native
town named Christian Johnson, in whose service
he continued until he was eighteen years old.
Following the family tradition, he then com-
menced to learn the trade of cooper, working in
the same factory with his father. But his natural
tastes led him in other directions. He attended
a technical school and a business college, and in
1892 he took a new departure. In other words he



HENRY PETERS.



681



bade adieu to Norway, its forests and its cooper
shops, and came to Chicago. His first employ-
ment here, extending over five months, was as
a janitor at No. 155 Washington Street. His
next was with the Chicago Coffin Company, with
which concern he remained for six years. Mean-
while he studied embalming under the well-
known Professor Clarke, of Springfield, Ohio,
and having successfully passed the examination
prescribed by the State Board of Health Ex-
aminers, at Chicago, was awarded a diploma



December 12, 1898, together with a license.
Within a few weeks thereafter he opened an es-
tablishment at No. 884 Armitage Aveuue, where
he conducts a prosperous and growing business.
He has been a member of the Independent Order
of Good Templars since he was twelve years old,
and has filled all the offices in the order in the
subordinate lodge. For the past four years he
has belonged to the Young Men's Christian As-
sociation and is also connected with the Knights
of the Maccabees.



HENRY PETERS.



HENRY PETERS. Among the many citizens
of German birth who have aided in making
Chicago what it is, the name of Henry
Peters deserves especial mention. For forty- two
years he has lived here, always attached to the
city of his adoption and ever ready to do all that
in him lay to advance her best interests.

He is the son of John and Louisa Peters, of
Netzschow, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany,
where he was born November 28, 1833. Both
his parents are at rest in the Fatherland, where
all their children reside with the exception of
Henry and his brother, Joachim. The latter
emigrated from Germany to America in 1866,
and settled in Chicago, where he yet resides,
having retired from active business. His home
is at the corner of Oakley Avenue and Potomac
Street.

Henry Peters received his early education at
the parish school at Netzschow, leaving that in-
stitution after receiving confirmation, at the age
of fourteen years. His father apprenticed him to
a blacksmith and he learned that manly trade.
After qualifying himself as a journeyman, he
traveled through various cities, working at his
trade, until 1857, when he took passage on a



steam packet from Hamburg for New York. The
voyage consumed eleven days, and immediately
upon lauding he set out for Chicago, reaching his
point of destination September 18.

He found no difficulty in obtaining work.
While the city then was far different from the
Chicago of to-day, it was active and bustling,
and then, as now, intent on forging to the front.
Good mechanics were in demand, and Mr. Peters
was a skilled workman. His industry and thrift
enabled him to purchase, in 1871, property at
No. 400 Noble Street. Here he lived until 1884,
when he erected his present handsome flat build-
ing, on the same site, which contains apartments
for four families. For the past six years he has
abandoned toil. He is nearing his seventieth
year and while still a robust and vigorous man,
he feels that his useful, well-spent life has earned
for him a right to rest.

November 7, 1869, he was married to Dorothy,
daughter of Frederick Kummerow, whose biog-
raphy may be found on another page. Six chil-
dren have been born to them: Elizabeth, now Mrs.
Theodore H. Jeschke; William, Henry, Anna,
Minnie and Edward. The family is connected
with St. John's Lutheran Church.



682



G. F. GEBERT. L. M. HOFFENBLAD.



GEORGE F. GEBERT.



CJEORGE FREDERICK GEBERT, who is
|_ one of the most respected and highly
U esteemed citizens of that portion of Chicago
where he resides, was born October 8, 1866, at
the corner of Twenty-seventh Street and South
Park Avenue, Chicago. His parents were John
and Hannah (Heckleman) Gebert.



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 102 of 111)