Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 104 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 104 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ing a journeyman in 1882. In 1886 he sailed for
America, and proceeded from New York forth-
with to Chicago, reaching this city May 5, the
date of the Anarchist riot at Haymarket square.
From Chicago he went to Stonebank, Waukesha
County, Wisconsin, where for a year and a-half
he ran a steam-launch, at the same time driving
a coach for W. H. Bradley. From there he went
to Milwaukee, where he became coachman for
E. D. Matthews, remaining with him three /years.



Returning to Chicago he became coachman for
the late P. C. Hanford, after whose death he
took a similiar position with James Christian
Hansen, in whose service he continued until the
close of the World's Fair. About 1894 he became
coachman for Edson Keith, and has continued in
the employ of the Keith family until the present.
Mr. Kaustrup has never married. Among the
members of his race in Chicago he has wide ac-
quaintance, and is held in high repute for his
sound sense, keen judgment and unswerving
probity. He is at once astute, yet affable, gen-
erous but just. He is a prominent member of
the Walhalla Society.



KNUD R. KNUDSEN.



RNUD RASMUS KNUDSEN is of Danish
birth and parentage, having been born in
Aarhus, Jutland, December 9, 1864. He
enjoys the unique distinction of being the six-
teenth of a family of twenty-three children born
of one mother, of whom sixteen grew to manhood
and womanhood, and eight are now living. His
father was Rasmus Knudsen, for many years a
stock dealer, but now retired from active busi-
ness. He was a soldier during the war of 1848-
1850, serving with distinction, and a man of no
little local prominence. His wife's maiden name
was Anna Martens, a daughter of an officer who
served gallantly throughout the same war. She
died in 1898.

Knud R. Knudsen was apprenticed to the tin-
ner's trade at the age of fourteen, and after serving
a term of five years worked for about a year in his
native country, as a journeyman. He then went
to Germany, where he traveled extensively, and
from there to Paris, all the time supporting him-
self by working at his trade. After a short so-
journ in Paris, he returned to Denmark, where



he soon afterward engaged in business for him-
self at the town of Aarhus. There he remained
two years and, in 1888, emigrated to America,
coming at once to Chicago.

After arriving here, and while seeking employ-
ment at his trade, he willingly turned his hand to
any honest labor that presented itself. He final-
ly secured a journeyman tinner's position, and
was in the employ of one concern three years.
By 1894 he had, through industry, perseverance
and thrift, accumulated sufficient means to enable
him to engage in business on his own account.
He opened a hardware store and in connection
therewith, a shop for 'the manufacture of cornices
at No. 3446 Cottage Grove Avenue. Later he
removed to No. 3450, in the same street, where
he yet remains.

The career of Mr. Knudsen stamps him as a
man of intelligence, enterprise and integrity.
He reached Chicago, unknown and friendless,
with but little more than twenty dollars in his
pocket. From this slender capital he has devel-
oped, through his own handiwork and by the



CHARLES MARTENS.



691



exercise of his brains, his present profitable busi-
ness, in which, at times, he employs as many as
fifteen men. As he looks back upon his gradual
rise from the position of the almost penniless
immigrant, he may well be pardoned if he feels a
glow of honest pride at the thought that his suc-



cess is due to his own efforts. He has been an
active member of the Walhalla Society since 1891.
In 1888 he married, in Denmark, Christina
Nelsen, who has borne him four children: Jens,
who died in infancy; Anna, Nels and Frederik.
The family attends the Danish Lutheran Church.



CHARLES MARTENS.



EHARLES MARTENS. Mr. Martens' bap-
tismal name was much longer than the
abbreviation of the same by which he is gen-
erally known. He was christened Karl August
Gunther, at Gartow, Germany, where he was
born October 20, 1827. His father was Charles
Christian Martens and his mother's name before
marriage was Dorothea Dankert. Gartow is a
picturesque Hanoverian village, with a popula-
tion of about eight hundred souls, situated on
what was then the Prussian frontier, and distant
some eighteen miles from Hamburg.

The birthplace of the elder Martens was Quarn-
stadt, near Gartow, where he first opened his
eyes September 15, 1799. He lived to the age of
seventy-seven years, and died in Cook County
July i, 1876. He emigrated to the United States,
with his wife and four children, in 1847, taking
passage in a sailing vessel leaving Hamburg Au-
gust 15 of that year. Sixty-seven wearisome
days elapsed before the little party landed at New
York, October 4, 1847. The father's objective
point was Chicago, where he had a friend and
compatriot, Frederick Preusner, whose widow is
still living, at Manchester, Iowa. For six weeks
he remained in the city, during which time his
friend busied himself in making him familiar
with the outlying country.

The result of his investigation was, that at the
end of that time he bought, from one W. H.
Boyle, one hundred and twenty acres of land,



eighty on the north half of the northwest quarter
of section 27, and forty on the southwest quarter
of section 22, in Leyden Township. A small
house.worth about one hundred and fifty dollars,
stood upon the land, and the price paid was seven
hundred dollars. About ten acres had been pre-
pared for cultivation, but no plowing had been
done for several years. He built a house some
four hundred yards west of the present residence
of Louis Schierhorn, the site now being marked
by a solitary elm, the sole survivor of what was
once a fine grove. Here he lived until his death.
He sleeps in Graceland Cemetery. By trade he
was a tailor, having served an apprenticeship of
three years, and in Gartow he owned a shop and
employed workmen, but he never worked at it in
this country, with the exception of a few weeks
in Chicago. He was a man of large physique
and well proportioned, about five feet nine inches
in height and weighing one hundred and seventy
pounds. Politically he was a Republican. His
religious faith was that of the German Lutheran
Church, of which he was a consistent member.
His wife, the mother of Charles Martens, was
born at Gartow, December i, 1798, and died De-
cember 24, 1872. She rests beside her husband
at Graceland.

Besides Charles, their children were: Charlotte
Marie Dorothea, born July 7, 1824, who married
John Ruh, in 1846. Her husband was a native
of Brerstadt, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, where



692



CHARLES MARTENS.



he was born Novembers, 1821. He came to Chi-
cago in 1844. By trade he was a tailor, and he
followed that occupation for a time, and later en-
gaged in the insurance brokerage business, which
he pursued until his death. His widow is still
living, at No. 548 Wells Street, Chicago. Her
life presented some features of unusual interest.
She left home at the age of thirteen years, intent
upon learning the trade of a professional cook at
Hamburg. So proficient did she become in her
chosen calling, that she was employed in a noble-
man's family, but abandoned her position to join
her people in their emigration to a strange land.
Mr. and Mrs. Ruh's children were: John, born
September 18, 1847, an( ^ died in infancy; Carrie,
born October 21, 1849, and married to Otto Af-
feld, of Brooklyn, New York; George, born Oc-
tober 4, 1851, and died at the age of three weeks,
and Louise Fredericka, born November 23, 1856,
now Mrs. L. A. Kohtz, of No. 650 Fullerton Ave-
nue, Chicago. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Affeld
with the date of their respective births, are as
follows: Charlotta Louise, September 25, 1873;
Otto, October 10, 1875; Louise, April 19, 1876;
Antoinette, August 23, 1879; Carrie, November
29, 1880; Ida Ernestina, July 7, 1885. Mr. and
Mrs. Kohtz are the parents of three children, Ida
Louise, born October 17, 1879; Louis, June 21,
1888; and Elsie, January 6, 1889. The second
child of the Martens family was christened Henry
Christian, whose biography may be found on an-
other page. The fourth (Charles being the
third) and youngest was Fredericka Charlotta,
who was born October 4, 1835. On her twentieth
birthday she married Valentine Ruh, who was
born April 27, 1833, in Brerstadt, Germany. He
learned the plumber's trade with Wilson &
Hughes, then located at Lake Street and Fifth
Avenue, and subsequently opened a shop of his
own on North Wells Street, which is still con-
ducted by his son, Frank. He was a volunteer
fireman, and a member of the famous "Red
Jacket" Company, which was officially known as
No. 4. He was also a man of considerable promi-
nence in municipal affairs, and was a member of
the council during the terms of Mayors Rice and
Sherman. He started in business in 1872 and



was active and successful until 1889, when he re-
tired. He died December i, 1895, and his grave
is at Graceland. Mrs. Ruh survives him, mak-
ing her home at Franklin Park. Four children
were the fruit of this marriage. The eldest,
Frank Edward, was born July 15, 1856; Henry,
the second son, was born May 9, 1859, and died
July 18, 1866; George was born March 10, 1861,
and died August 31, 1862; Edmund, born April
7, 1866, married Clara Hartman, September 18,
1895, by whom he is the father of Harriet
Frances, who was born November 10, 1896.

The grandfather of Charles Martens was named
Johan Joachim Christian Martens. He was born
at Quarnstadt, about five minutes' walk from Gar-
tow. He was a tenant and gardener upon the
estate of Graff, Earl of Barnstorf. Johan Joachim
Martens married Marie Schultz. Their children
were: Charles, the father of the gentleman whose
name appears at the head of this sketch, and a
summary of whose life has been already given;
August, a tailor by trade, who removed to Lon-
don, England, where he married and whence,
after the death of his wife, he emigrated to New
York; and Detlow, a carpenter, of whom all
trace has been lost since his leaving the Father-
land. The Martens family was one of the oldest
and most respected in Gartow, and had been con-
nected with the Barnstorf estate for many genera-
tions.

Charles Martens' maternal grandfather was
William Dankert. He was a coachman for the
Earl and married a Miss Schultz, by whom he
had two children, Dorothea (the mother of
Charles) and William, who went to Paris, where
he learned the trade of a piano-maker, and where
he passed the remainder of his days, dying un-
married.

After the death of his father, Charles Martens
remained on the farm, which he continued to
cultivate, and to which he added forty acres of
prairie land, on the southeast quarter of section
2 1 , and ten acres of timber. He was a young
man of but twenty-four years when he took
charge of the property, but he was strong, active,
energetic and keenly alive to the responsibilities
of his position. In the winter of 1868 and 1869,



C. J. CLAUSEN.



693



he built the house being now occupied by J. J.
Martens, of whom a brief sketch may be found on
another page.

In 1883 Mr. Martens divided his property
among his children, and has since then led a life
of retirement, richly earned. His wife's maiden
name was Fredericka Schultz, to whom he was
married March u, 1851. She is a daughter of
Jochetn and Caroline (Kalow) Schultz. She
was born August 27, 1829, in the village of
Rechenzien, Prussia, and crossed the ocean alone
in 1851. Within six weeks after her arrival at
Chicago she had met, loved and married Mr.
Martens, and the .following year her parents,
with their three other children, emigrated. Her
father bought forty acres of land in Proviso Town-
ship, which he afterward sold, taking up his resi-
dence on the site where his son, John Schultz ;
now lives, on section 22, of Ley den Township.
By trade he was a tailor, but he did not follow the
occupation after coming to America. He died in
1869, aged sixty-five years. His wife, Mrs. Mar-
tens' mother, died October 8, 1879, at the ad-
vanced age of eighty-four years. Their children
were as follows: Dorothea, wife of Frederick
Volberding, whose husband is still living on sec-
tion 30, of Proviso Township; John resides in the
same township, and is mentioned in an article
headed by his name, on another page of this
volume.

Mrs. Martens' paternal grandfather married
MissBrinkman. Their children were: Frederick,
Jochem and Elizabeth, all born in Germany.
Frederick settled in Proviso, and his son, Fred-



erick, is still living on section 29, of that town-
ship. Elizabeth married Mr- Prill, and remained
in her native land. Mr. Schultz was a farmer.
The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Martens-'was
the father of Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Voss. Caro-
line and George never emigrated.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Mar-
tens are: Louise, who married H. A. Draper,
whose biography appears elsewhere in this vol-
ume; Caroline, now Mrs. William Polzin, of No.
39 State Street, Chicago; John J., Charles and
Henry, whose biographies are to be found in this
work; and two children died in infancy. The
family attends the German Lutheran Church.

Mr. Martens is a stanch Republican, and has
held the office of collector for two years, and of
school director nine years. In casting the eye
back over this necessarily imperfect sketch of his
life, one cannot fail to be impressed by the native,
rugged worth of his character. Beginning life
as a pioneer in a new country, he permitted no
obstacle to daunt him, he knew not the meaning
of the word "failure." With resolute will and
steady perseverance he hewed out his own path
to success, as the pioneer blazes a way through
the forest. He is now Hearing life's sunset, but
for him the coming shade of nightfall has no ter-
rors. The love of family, the respect of his
fellow-men and the serene confidence inspired by
Christian hope will illumine the crossing of the
river, just as the recollection of a life of honorable
industry, of unflinching fidelity to duty and of
spontaneous generosity enable him to review the
past without regret.



GLAUS J. CLAUSEN.



ELAUS JOHANSEN CLAUSEN is the senior
member of the firm of Clausen & Stone,
sprinklers of No. 81 Twenty-second Street.
He was born July 3, 1847, in Koerrup, Schleswig-



Holstein, and is the fourth child and third son of
Andrew Clausen and Elizabeth Nielsen. His
parents reared a family of seven children, five of
whom are living. Andrew Clausen was a farmer,



694



MARTIN COLBY.



and died when about seventy years old, but his
wife is yet alive at the age of eighty-one years.

Claus J. Clausen emigrated from Denmark
when a youth of eighteen years. His life up to
that time had not greatly differed from that of
other Danish boys of his class, he having attended
the public schools until he was fourteen years of
age, and for four years worked upon a farm. He
first went to Australia to prospect for gold. For
five years he was in the mining camps, when he
returned to his native country, but only to re-
main about four months. His next departure
was for America, and his first employment after
reaching this country was as a farm hand at Clif-
ton, Illinois. After five months he removed to
Chicago. Here he engaged with Rasmus T.
Bertlesen to learn the carpenter's trade. This
occupation he followed about ten months, when
the Chicago fire occurred. Seeing that teaming
was likely to prove profitable, he purchased a



team and embarked in that business. Two years
later he entered the employ of a gentlemen on
Prairie Avenue near Twentieth Street, and from
there entered the service of William H. Mitchell,
a banker, with whom he remained fourteen
years. At the expiration of that time he formed
a partnership with Andrew Clausen, under the
name of Clausen Brothers, to engage in the
sprinkling business, which he has since followed.
He is now associated with F. L,. Stone.

Mr. Clausen married Miss Marie Larsen in
1891, and is the father of two children, Elizabeth
J. and Andrew R.

He has been for several years a leading mem-
ber of the Walhalla Society, and has infused new
life into the order, among whose members he is
widely known and universally esteemed.

He has been moderately successful in business
and owes all that he has to his own hard work,
grit and gumption.



MARTIN COLBY.



IV A ARTIN COLBY, a member of the firm of
Yl Colby Brothers, at No. 1200 West Fifty-

101 ninth Street and No. 6757 South Halsted
Street, was born at Aalborg, Denmark, August
19, 1868. For a detailed history of his parentage
and family relations, the reader is referred to the
biography of John Colby, on another page of this
work.

Like his brother, Martin Colby received his
early training in the public schools of his native
village. At the age of fourteen years he was
apprenticed to a grocer, serving a term of four
years. He worked at this business, after com-
pleting his apprenticeship, until 1889. In that
year he followed his brother to Chicago. For
the first six months after reaching the United
States he worked as a farm hand, and for about
four months he worked as a wood chopper.



He first found employment in Chicago as a
coachman, which pursuit he followed eighteen
months. During the next two years he worked
as a clerk in a grocery store at No. 82 Oak Street,
when he resumed his seat upon the box and his
handling of the reins for three months. His next
situation was with a Mr. Johnson, a grocer on
Fifty-ninth Street, and in 1894 ne entered into
partnership with his brother John. The steady
success of the firm from the day of its inception
has been already told. On the opening of the
HalstedStreet branch, Martin was made manager.

He was married, in 1894,10 Miss Mary Petersen,
a young lady born in Denmark. Their union
has been blessed with three children Roy,
Norma and Baby.

Mr. Colby is a member of Ben Hur Court of
the Royal Arcanum.



LIBRARY




REV. HEINRICH WOLF



REV. HEINRICH WOLF.



695



REV. HEINRICH WOLF.



REV. HEINRICH WOLF. The subject of
this sketch is the son of Carl and Salome
Elisabeth (Friedly) Wolf, and was born
December 31, 1855, on a farm called Kreithof,
near the village of Penzing, Bezirksamt Lands-
berg, Oberbayern, kingdom of Bavaria, Ger-
many.

His great-grandfather, Bartholomaeus Wolf,
born June 20, 1768, in the vicinity of Zweibrueck-
en, Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, died May 28, 1828, on
the farm which he owned and cultivated. He
married MissSauermilch, whose brother migrated
to England, where he became quite wealthy and
died childless. The only descendant of Barth-
olomaeus Wolf was a son named Martin, who
was born at the same place in the Rheinpfalz in
1789.

Martin Wolf, the paternal grandfather of the
subject of this sketch, was twice married, first to
Elisabeth Ritterspach. Of this marriage the fol-
lowing named children were born: Michael, born
1811, died January 14, 1877; Heinrich, born June
20, 1817, died July 14, 1888, and Jakob, born
1820, died 1864. All of these sons were large
farmers and lived in Bavaria. Mr. Wolfs sec-
ond wife was Caroline Kraemer, to whom he was
married in the year 1823. She died October 31,
1860. Her children were: Carl, father of the
subject of this sketch, born 1824, died November
16, 1860; Philippine, born 1826, died 1857;
Magdalena, born in 1828, married; Louise, born
in 1830, married, died May 24, 1871.

About 1830 Martin Wolf sold his homestead in
the Rheinpfalz and bought a farm near Dachau, in
Oberbayern, Bavaria, and settled thereon with his
family. Afterward he purchased the farm named
Kreithof, near Penzing, which contained about
two hundred acres, settled thereon and lived there



with his son Carl until the death of the latter in
1860, after which time he made his home with his
older son, Heinrich, who owned a farm and brick
yard at Bobingen, near Augsburg, Bavaria,
where he died June 26, 1871. Physically Mar-
tin Wolf was tall and slim and retained his vigor
up to the time of his death, a short time before
which he walked three miles to church. He was
good natured and very religious. He was a
farmer all his life and his financial condition was
good.

The maternal grandfather of the man whose
name heads this article was Georg Friedly; by
his first wife he hao three children: Georg, Jakob
and Friedrich. His second wife, Eva Koester,
born in 1814, bore him three children also: Sa-
lome Elisabeth, in 1836; Eva, in 1838, and David,
in 1840. Georg Friedly died in 1842. His widow
afterwards died as the wife of the above men-
tioned Heinrich Wolf, in 1875. Jakob Friedly
with his family came to America in 1872, with
members of the Wolf family, and settled at Buf-
falo, New York. The Friedly s were farmers in
Bavaria. The eldest daughter of Georg Friedly,
the mother of the subject of this sketch, Elisa-
beth Salome Friedly, was born September 30,
1836, at the village of Kleinschwabhausen, Bezir-
ksamt Dachau, Oberbayern, Bavaria.

Carl Wolf, the father of Heinrich, was born in
1824, in the Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, settled with his
father on the Kreithof, in Oberbayern, and in
1847 was first married to Magdalena Schwarz,
who became the mother of the following children:
Rosina, who was born 1848 and died in 1872.
Carl, born September n, 1850, married Mar-
garetha Herget, and resides at Inningen, near
Augsburg, Bavaria, where he owns and operates a
large brickyard. He is the father often children,



6g6



REV. HEINRICH WOLF.



five sons and five daughters. Michael, born No-
vember 21, 1852, died January 27, 1887, was a
farmer, married and lived at Koenigsbrtinn, near
Augsburg, Bavaria, where he left his widow and
two children. Magdalena, the wife of Carl
Wolf, died at the Kreithof in 1854. He mar-
ried his second wife, Elisabeth Salome Friedly, in
1855. The children of this union were three in
number. Heiurich, born December 31, 1855, is the
subject of this notice; Georg, born December 19,
1857, married Caroline Kautz, of West Chicago,
Illinois, and lives near Little River, Kansas, on
his farm; he has six daughters and one son. Au-
gust was born Novembers, 1859, an< ^ resides at
Buffalo, New York, where he is engaged in rail-
road business. He married Lena Hoffmann. They
are the parents of two daughters and six sons.

Heinrich Wolfs father, Carl Wolf, died at the
Kreithof November 16, 1860, and was buried
at Lang-Erringen, Bavaria. Heinrich Wolfs
mother was married after the death of her first
husband to Johann Georg Maurer, April 2, 1861.
The children of this marriage were: Maria,
born March 24, 1863, who married W. B. Wat-
son, of Little River, Kansas, by whom she has
four sons; Carolina, born December 16, 1864,
married Georg R. Wolf, is the mother of two sons
and three daughters and lives on the farm near
Nardin, Oklahoma Territory; Gottfried, born Oc-
tober 12, 1867, married Miss Mitchel, is the fa-
ther of two children and also lives on his farm
near Nardin, Oklahoma; Rosina, born January
26, 1870, married John Beyer, a farmer, lives in
Oklahoma, and is the mother of four children;
Johann, born April 2, 1874, and Jakob, born
May 26, 1877, who live at home with their father
near Little River, Kansas. Mr. Maurer came to
Buffalo, New York, in November, 1871, where
he was joined by his wife and her seven children
June 14, 1872. In 1875 the family removed to a
farm near Detroit, Michigan, where they re-
mained until 1880, when they moved to a home-
stead near Little River, Kansas. There Hein-
rich Woli's mother, Mrs. E. Salome Maurer,
died November 17, 1895, as the age of fifty-nine
years. Her body found its last resting place in
the Bean Cemetery at Little River, Kansas.



Heinrich Wolf was educated in the public
schools of the city of Augsburg, Bavaria, while
his parents lived on their farm and brickyard at
Bobingen, near that city. Augsburg is one of
the oldest cities in Germany, its origin being
the Roman Fort ' 'Augusta Vindelicorum' ' erected
anno 13 before Christ, it is also famous by the
Reichstag, which was called by Kaiser Carl V. in
1530 to that city, where the Protestants delivered
and defended their confession of Evangelical
faith. In March, 1868, Heinrich Wolf entered the
gymnasium of St. Anna high school, in that city,
and studied until 1870. He then enrolled him-
self at the gymnasium in Newburg (at the Dan-
ube River) , Bavaria, in which he remained until
April, 1872, when he emigrated to America. He
next attended the Evangelical Pro-Seminary at
Elmhurst, Illinois, from April 8, 1873, until June,



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 104 of 111)