Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 105 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 105 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1874. In August, 1874, he entered upon a theo-
logical course at the Theological Seminary at
Marjhasville, Missouri, where he finished his
studies May 8, 1877.

After having passed the examination for the
ministry he was sent to Peotone, Will County,
Illinois, where he served as substitute for Rev.
G. D. Wobus, who for his health made a visit to
Switzerland, Europe. He remained there six
months in charge of the spiritual interests of the
German Evangelical Immanuel's Congregation.
Following this he was called to the charge of
St. Michael's congregation at Turner, Du Page
County, Illinois, now known as West Chicago,
where he remained from February 10, 1878,
until January, 1881. He was next called by the
Evangelical St. Peter's congregation of Niles
Center, Cook County, Illinois, where he served
as minister and teacher from January 17, 1881,
until September, 1889. He then responded to a
call by the Evangelical St. Johannes congrega-
tion at the town of Addisou, near Bensenville,
Du Page County, Illinois, where he has remained
since September 3, 1889. At his present loca-
tion the secular and religious instruction to the
children of the congregagtion is given by a
parochial teacher. Mr. Wolf was ordained a
minister of the Evangelical Church May 21,
1877, at Peotone, Illinois, by Rev. Win. Boer-



A. P. ANDERSEN.



697



ner, assisted by Rev. G. D. Wobus and Rev. H.
Stamer. He became a member of the German
Evangelical Synod of the West in June, 1877,
at the conference of the Fifth District of said
synod, held at Keokuk, Iowa. He was made
secretary of this district in 1883 and served until
1890, when he was elected president of the Nord
Illinois, district of said synod, in which capacity
he served until 1894. In 1885 he also was called
member of the board of overseers of the college
at Elmhurst, Illinois, he which he served as sec-
retary for six years and as chairman since 1892,
which position he still occupies. In 1886 the
synod elected him member of the Board of Di-
rectors of its college at Elmhurst, Illinois, and
its Theological Seminary at St. Louis, Missouri,
where he is still serving. Anno 1882 H. Wolf
became a charter member and secretary of the
German Evangelical Colonization Society of Chi-
cago, Illinois, by which, in 1883, a large German
colony at New Salem, Morton County, North
Dakota, was established, which is now in a pros,
perous condition. In the year 1894 Rev. Hein-
rich Wolf with others organized the German
Evangelical Orphans' and Old People's Home As-
sociation of North Illinois. He was elected presi-
dent of said association and chairman of the
board of directors of the Orphans' and Old Peo-
ple's Home at Bensenville, Illinois, which was
erected and dedicated in 1895. Since that time
he also served as secretary of the board of over-
seers of this institution, and still retains the above
positions.

Rev. H. Wolf was married May 18, 1881, to
Miss Louise Wurtz, daughter of Jakob and Sa-
lome (Schoch) Wurtz. Mrs. Wolf was born No-



vember 8, 1862, on the homestead farm of her
parents in Town Winfield, near Turner Junction,
Du Page County, Illinois. The children of this
union are: Theodor Heinrich M. G., born Oc-
tober 13, 1882, at Niles Center, Illinois; Adelheid
Salome M., born Septembers, 1884, died October
19, 1884; Otto Fr. Paul, born September 15,
1885; Heinrich Gustav Adolph, born January 8,
1888; Alfred Philipp Adolph, born May 18, 1890,
at Town Addison, Du Page County, Illinois; Ru-
dolph Edward Daniel, born November 28, 1892;
Reinhard Wilhelm Georg, born January 4, 1896;
and Hermann Heinrich, born March 21, 1898.

Rev. Heinrich Wolf, as his biography shows,
has been a man of industry and untiring energy.
From the date of his entering school until his
graduation he was constantly busy in preparing
himself for future usefulness. He was a close
student, made the most of his opportunities and
succeeded in whatever he undertook. Since his
entrance in the church work he has been ever
busy in ministering to the needs of his congrega-
tion, striving to do his utmost as a teacher, in
both secular and religious matters. That he is a
man of more than ordinary ability, and that his
efforts have been crowned with more than or-
dinary success, is made evident by the number
and importance of the positions, to which he has
been called. In 1879 he made application for
naturalization at the court of Tazewell Coun-
ty, at Pekin, Illinois, and was declared citizen of
the United States June 30, 1879. As he regards
the Republican party as the one through which
the greatest good may be brought to the people
of this government he has bent his energies to
the promotion of the policy of that party.



ANDREW P. ANDERSEN.



Gl NDREW PETER ANDERSEN is of Swe-
J I dish parentage and birth. His parents
/ | were natives of Sodermandlin, where he,
too, was born, January 31, 1853. His father,



Andrew Larson, was a carpenter, and died at his
birthplace at the age of forty-two years. His
mother, Johanna, survived her husband many
years, passing away after reaching her sixty-



698



W. N. STANLEY.



sixth year. The two sons and three daughters
born to them are still living, Andrew Peter An-
dersen being the eldest, and only one who has
sought fortune on this side of the Atlantic. He
left school when a lad of twelve to become an
errand boy, and worked at various callings in
his native place until 1880, when he determined
on coming to America and to Chicago.

On reaching that city, not being a skilled me-
chanic, he found it necessary to accept the first
employment that offered. He found it in a lum-
ber yard, where he worked two months. After
two months he went to Iowa, where, for a short
time, he worked in a " section gang," on a rail-
road. He returned to Chicago, and from there
went to Arkansas, but again gravitated to the
.city which was ultimately to be his home. In
1883 he obtained a position as driver of a milk
wagon, and this was the inception of his present
business, he opening a route of his own two
years later, in the North Division of the city.
For seven years he prospered, through industry,
thrift and uprightness, and in 1890 he bought



the site of his present home, at No. 1 1 1 1 West
Fifty-ninth street, and erected a building. The
same success attended him. He added No. 1113
to his holdings, and at present runs three wagons
and does a remunerative and growing business.
For such men there is no such word as fail.

In. 1888 he married Miss Eva. Louise Johnson,
a native of Smoland, Sweden, where she was
born March i, 1856. Mrs. Anderson is the sec-
ond child of John Peter and Ulrica Petersen.
She came to America in 1881, and to Chicago in
1883. Four children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Andersen Levi Emanuel, Edwin Nathan-
iel, David Theodore and Alice Elvira Victoria.
The family attends the Swedish Mission Church,
of which the parents are members, and in which
they are active workers.

Mr. Andersen has received no outside aid in
building up his success. On reaching Chicago
he had but forty-two dollars. All that he has
accumulated since he owes to his own patient
thrift. Of such a record he may well feel very
proud.



WILLIAM N. STANLEY.



(ILLIAM NEWTH STANLEY, a pioneer

settler of Chicago, and a veteran of the
Civil war, is a native of Purton, Wiltshire,
England. He was born May 22, 1842. His
parents were John and Jane (Newth) Stanley.

May i, 1852, the parents, with their seven
children, embarked at Liverpool, in the sailing
ship ' 'Western World, ' ' then said to be the largest
vessel afloat, and after a voyage of about six
weeks, landed at New York. From there they
came direct to Chicago, which they reached
July 12.

John Stanley was successful in business and
accumulated considerable property. He was en-



gaged in the marketing of meat and vegetables
until about 1875. He then retired from business
and, owing to his wife's poor health, went to
Europe, spending the summer of 1873 abroad.
The next spring they went to Colorado Springs,
where Mrs. Stanley died in 1877. Mr. Stanley
survived his wife about sixteen years, and died
in Florida about 1893. The following named
children were born to this couple: John, now de-
ceased, William N., James, Lucy, wife of O. P.
Hopkins, of Colorado Springs; Giles A., of Chi-
cago; Robert V., of Chicago; Nellie, wife of a
Mr. Jones, of Colorado Springs, and one other
who died in childhood.



JOHN GLAMBECK.



699



William N. Stanley was educated in the pub-
lic schools of Chicago, and later learned the trade
of butcher. He was engaged in business for him-
self on the West Side when the Civil War broke
out, and sold out his business to enlist in the
army, in June, 1861. He became a member of
Company D, Sixty-seventh Illinois Volunteer
Infantry. The term of enlistment was for three
months, but Mr. Stanley served about four
months, when, owing to sickness, he was unable
to re-enlist. Returning to Chicago he resumed
business, which he carried on successfully about
twenty years. From the profits of trade he took
money to invest in real estate and through the
increase in value thereof became one of the sub-
stantial men of the West Side. It is now nearly
twenty years since he went out of business. In
his long business career he always fulfilled faith-
fully every obligation. During this period of
leisure he has devoted a large portion of his time



to travel, although closely caring for his property
interests in different states. He cast his first
presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864,
and has been a consistent member of the Repub-
lican party from that time to the present. Be-
ginning with the year 1855 he served as a vol-
unteer fireman until the paid department was
established. During this period he saw much
arduous service and had some very narrow escapes
from death.

In 1867 he married Maria L. Bowman, a native
ofOswego, New York, and daughter of William
and Maria Bowman, of Scotch nativity. Mr. and
Mrs. Stanley are the parents of two children:
William A., a grocer of Chicago, and Emma, wife
of John E. Dickinson, of Burlington, Kansas.
Two children John and Thomas, died of diphtheria
in 1877, aged respectively eight and four and
one-half years. In religious faith the parents are
Presbyterians.



JOHN GLAMBECK.



(|OHN GLAMBECK is the eldest of seven
I children of Jorgen and Maren (Hansen)
O Glatnbeck, of the Island of Fuen, Denmark.
His father, who served in the Danish-German
war of 1864, is by occupation a hand loom weav-
er, and both his parents are still living in Den-
mark. Indeed, Mr. Glambeck is the only mem-
ber of the family to cross the water to the New
World.

He was born July 12, 1863, and until his
eighteenth year he led the usual uneventful life
of the Danish youth of his class. After leaving
school he worked on a farm, and in 1882 he came
to America. His first home after reaching this
country was at Canton, Ohio, where he found
employment in a brick yard for a period of six
months. From there he went to Saint Croix



County, Wisconsin, where he had an opportunity
to attend school in the winter. The following
summer he went still further west, working for
some months in Montana, for the Northern Pa-
cific Railway Company, and later in the harvest
fields of the (then) Dakota Territory.

Returning to Wisconsin, he bought a small
farm in Saint Croix County, and again began at-
tending school during the winter months, when
farm work was practically at a standstill. After
a short time, however, he once more took up
work on a railroad, first at Knapp, Wisconsin,
and later at Monticello, Illinois. From the lat-
ter place he came to Chicago, where he has ever
since resided, with the exception of a few months
in 1888, which he spent in his native land.

His first employment here was in a grocery



yoo



NIELS CHRISTENSEN.



store at the corner of Cottage Grove Avenue and
Twenty-fifth Street, but on his return from Den-
mark he engaged in the sale of teas, coffees and
similar goods. From 1894 t 1896 he was again
a grocer's clerk. In the latter year he became
reporter for "Arbejderen," a journal devoted to
the interests of Scandinavian working men, and
in 1897 was chosen its editor. He held this po-
sition some eighteen months, when he again em-
barked in business as dealer in teas and coffees.
In August, 1899, he again became editor of the
same journal, now published at No. 36 North
Clark Street, Chicago. He resides at No. 6023
Sangamon Street.

In politics Mr. Glambeck is an ardent Socialist,



having taken an active part in the council of the
Socialist Labor party since it was organized in
1886. He has served as secretary of the state
committee and has always been a leader. In
1895 he married Miss Katherine Nielsen, a lady
born in Denmark. They have two children, Ag-
nes and George.

He is a member of the Danish Brotherhood
and of the Socialist Labor party. He organized
the first Danish branch of the latter society in
Chicago in 1891. In fact the Chicago branch
was the first Danish branch to be organized in the
United States. For the first six months he was
its secretary. He is now president of the Scan-
dinavian Branch No. i.



NIELS CHRISTENSEN.



PJ)IELS CHRISTENSEN was born at Thy,
| / Denmark, December n, 1863. He is a son
|/9 of Paul Christensen, a master blacksmith of
that place, and who is still living there; his moth-
er's maiden name was Mattie Nielsen. Paul
Christensen served as a private soldier in the
Danish-German war, and is a popular and influ-
ential man in his native village.

Niels is the first of four children two sons and
two daughters all of whom are living. He and
one sister, Johanna, are the only ones living in
this country. Like most boys of his class in his
native country he went to work early. Leaving
school at the age of fourteen years he was ap-
prenticed to the painter's trade, and after serving
a term of four years emigrated to the United
States. This was in 1881, when he was a mere
youth of eighteen, but he had within him those
traits of industry and perseverance which have
characterized his later years, and which consti-
tute the elements of success.



On reaching America he came at once to Chicago.
He experienced no difficulty in finding work at
his trade, as a journeyman, and such were his
energy and thrift that two years later he was able
to open a shop of his own. His business steadily
grew until he employed seven, and sometimes
eight men, and he continued to conduct it five
years. In 1888 he opened a store for the sale of
general hardware in the same block where his
present establishment is situated. In the follow-
ing year he erected a building of his own at
No. 1223 Fifty-ninth Street, and in 1891 another
at No. 1 149, in the same street, which he still
owns. In 1895 he built his present store on the
adjoining premises, Nos. 1145 and 1147. He
has largely increased his stock of hardware and
added thereto a line of glassware, china and house
furnishing goods.

Mr. Christensen is in every sense a self-made
man. Arriving at Chicago with a capital of not
more than thirty-seven cents he has risen, step



WILLIAM SCHROEDER.



701



by step, through his own unaided exertions, to
the possession of a well earned competence, and
in the position of a successful, substantial busi-
ness man. The story of such a life is, in itself, a
sermon.

He was marrried in 1886 to Miss Meba Han-



daughter of a gallant Danish soldier, who was
made prisoner by the Germans during the war
of 1864. A daughter, Mamie, was born to them
in 1888.

Mr. Christensen is a member of John Ericksen
Lodge No. 361, Independent Order of Odd Pel-



sen, born in Schleswig-Holstein, in 1863, and the lows.



WILLIAM SCHROEDER.



fDQlLLIAM SCHROEDER for a period of

\ A / forty-seven years Mr. Schroeder has been a
V V resident of Cook County and during a great
part of that time a citizen of. Chicago. It is in
that city that he has accumulated a competence,
through his own labor, and to it he is sincerely
attached. He was born near Grabow, Mecklen-
burg, Germany, August 12, 1828. He and his
brother, Henry C., were the only children of
Christian and Katharine Schroeder, and are mem-
bers of a family well known and highly respected
in the Fatherland. The father, who was a farm-
er, died in Germany, in 1854, and the mother,
who crossed the water to her sons the following
year, passed away in Chicago in 1880.

William Schroeder was educated at the parochi-
al schools, and worked on a farm until drafted into
the German army. After performing military ser-
vice for the prescribed period, he determined to
join his brother Henry, who had come to Chicago
in 1851. Accordingly, in 1852, he took passage
from Hamburg to New York, in a sailing vessel,
and after a voyage of nine weeks, reached his
port of destination.

He pursued his journey to Chicago, then a very
different place from the metropolitan city of to-
day, and first found employment as a farm hand
for a Mr. Talcott, at Desplaines. After eighteen
months he returned to the city to begin work for



the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad Company,
now the Chicago & Northwestern, with which
corporation he remained eighteen years, or until
just before the conflagration of 1871. By that
time, through industry and frugality, he had ac
quired sufficient means to enable him to engage in
business for himself, and he opened a grocery at
the corner -of West Chicago Avenue and Noble
Street. Trade prospered with him; hard work
and honesty brought their reward; and in 1883
he sold out his business and retired.

While not in any sense of the word a politician
Mr. Schroeder is a strong Republican in political
faith, having cast his first vote for Fremont and
having been 'affiliated with that party ever since.
In religious belief he is a Lutheran. He is a
member of Robert Blum Lodge, No. 58, Indepen-
dent Order of Odd Fellows, and of Germania En-
campment in the same order.

July 5, 1856, he married Miss Louise Stier,
who is like himself of German birth. Their
union has been blessed with two daughters,
Louise and Carrie. The former married J. C.
Borgwardt and the latter is the wife of R. O.
Krueger. Mrs. Schroeder entered into rest Jan-
uary 5, 1889, and her grave is at Waldheim Ceme-
tery.

Mr. Schroeder has passed the limit of three score
years and ten allotted by the Psalmist as the span



702



ANTON PAULSEN.



of human life and is spending his declining years
deprived of the society and comfort of the wife of
his younger days, yet he can look back upon a
life well spent a life of usefulness, of integrity



and of success. A kind and generous husband
and father and a good citizen, he has furnished
an example of domestic and civic virtue well
worthy of emulation.



ANTON PAULSEN.



G| NTON PAULSEN is a member of the fra-
LJ ternity of blacksmiths, his trade being one
/ ) which developes brawny muscles and at the
same time enlarges the mental perception. The
natural tendency of men and women is to rev-
erence great physical strength; yet the average
member of the community utterly fails to com-
prehend the truism that the perfect man is not
only the highest type of animal life, but that,
linked to his immense muscular power, govern-
ing and controlling it, is a well disciplined mind
and a tender heart. Poets have made the black-
smith the subject of their song, and artists have
delighted to depict him on their canvas.

Mr. Paulsen, in his own person, presents one
of the highest types of his honorable craft. He
is still a young man, in the prime of his early
manhood, yet he has already accomplished much,
while the future holds out bright promise of
future achievement. He was born in Jutland,
Denmark, May 17, 1872. His father, Paul
Paulsen, was a man who walked in a humble
path. He was a laborer by occupation, but
straightforward and conscientious. He still lives
in Denmark, as does also his wife, Johanna Soren-
sen. They are the parents of four children, two
of whom they mourn as dead. Anton is the third,
and the only one who has made his home in the
New World.

Like most Danish youths of his class, it was



considered necessary that he should learn a trade,
and after leaving school, at the age of sixteen
years, he was apprenticed to a blacksmith. Four
years elapsed before he was admitted to the ranks
of the journeymen, and in 1892, his trade ac-
quired, he set sail for New York. His first halt-
ing place on American soil was Newburgh, New
York. From there he proceeded to Quincy, Illi-
nois, where he worked at his trade some three
years. He spent a short time at St. Louis, and
in 1895 came to Chicago.

His first year here was spent as a journeyman,
working for daily wages, but at the expiration of
that period he found himself able to begin busi-
ness on his own account. His patient industry
and judicious economy had borne their legitimate
fruit. His first shop was located at the corner
of State and Thirty-eighth Streets. He makes a
specialty of horseshoeing, although doing all
descriptions of smithy work as well. He is well
known and universally respected in the locality
where he lives, and has built up a remunerative
business.

Mr. Paulsen has been a member of the Wal-
halla Society for two years, and has shown con-
siderable interest in promoting its growth and
welfare. In 1897 he was united in marriage with
Margaret Braateu, a young lady born in Nor-
way. Their union has been blessed with one
daughter, Johanna.



LIBRARY
OF THE
DIVERSITY OF ILLI'




DR. THEODORE NIELSEN



THEODORE NIELSEN.



703



THEODORE NIELSEN.



'HEODORE NIELSEN, M. D., resides at

No. 395 West Chicago Avenue, and is well
known and highly esteemed among the
Danish people of Chicago. His father is Rev.
A. S. Nielsen, who is a native of Denmark and
was for many years pastor of the oldest Danish
Lutheran Church in Chicago. This venerable
divine is still living, his home being in Wiscon-
sin. Two years ago he was honored by being
given the title of Knight of the White Cross, by
the present king Christian of Denmark. Dr.
Nielsen's mother, who is still living, was, before
marriage, Johanna Paulsen. They were the
parents of eight children, the doctor being the
second in order of birth.

Dr. Theodore Nielsen was born at Saby, Den-
mark, April 3, 1863. He began attending school
in his native country, but his parents came to
America when he was but eight years old. The
family first settled at Cedar Falls, Iowa, where
young Theodore passed through public schools,
subsequently attending the Iowa State Normal
School. In 1881 he accompanied his parents to
Chicago and began the study of medicine, to
which he devoted himself for three years. He
next matriculated at the Chicago Medical College,
and after taking a course of four years at that
institution, graduated. Since then he has been
in active practice, although for a period of nine
years he also conducted a drug store in partner-
ship with his brother. He is a member of the



Chicago Medical Society and of the Illinois State
Medical Association.

In 1885 he became the husband of Miss Anne
Jensen, a young lady born in Chicago, but of
Danish parentage. Mrs. Nielsen's parents may
be reckoned among the city's early settlers, hav-
ing settled here before the holocaust of 1 87 1 . Dr.
Nielsen's marriage has been blessed with three
children, of whom one, Ethel, died at the age of
six years. Those surviving, Theodore and
Esther, are aged, respectively, nine and six years.

The doctor is a member of various benevolent
and fraternal organizations the Society Dania,
the singing society "Harmonica," the Danish
Brotherhood, Danish Young People's Association
of Chicago and the United Danish Brotherhood.
Of some of these societies, which embrace the
feature of insurance, he is the examining physi-
cian. As a musician and amateur actor he has
attained no little reputation in Danish circles,
where his ability as a delineator, elocutionist and
musician is highly esteemed. He is at the head
of a dramatic and musical association of which he
is the organizer. He is also a constant contrib-
utor to the Scandinavian press, among whose
patrons his articles are always eagerly read.

He has also associated with himself, in profes-
sional life, his old friend, Dr. J. A. Hinrichsen,
who attends to the outside practice of the firm,
Dr. Neilsen chiefly confining himself to office
work.



704



C. F. SORENSEN.



CHARLES F. SORENSEN.



CJHARLES F. SORENSEN. Born in the



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 105 of 111)