Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 16 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 16 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


I,. J. HALSEY.



105



Masons, of Chicago, and was a charter member
of the first Masonic Lodge in Jefferson. He is
now connected with Wylie M. Egan Lodge,
Washington Chapter, Siloam Council, St. Ber-
nard Commandery, and Medinah Temple, of the
Mystic Shrine. He was for many years con-
nected with Home Lodge No. 416, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, of Chicago, and is a mem-
ber of George H. Thomas Post No. 5, Grand



Army of the Republic. He is Grand Medical
Examiner of the Independent Order of Mutual Aid
of the State of Illinois.

Mrs. Fonda passed away in 1 890, at the age of
fifty -five years, leaving one child, Carrie Azubah,
who resides with her father. Dr. Fonda is yet in
possession of sound health, and a vigorous intel-
lect, and has many years of usefulness both as a
citizen and physician before him.



REV. LEROY J. HALSEY.



REV. LEROY JONES HALSEY, D. D.,
LL. D. On the 28th day of January, A.
D. 1812, Leroy Jones Halsey was born in
Cartersville, Goochland County, Virginia, on the
banks of the James River, twelve miles from
Richmond, the first-born son of John and Lucy
(Tiller) Halsey. His paternal ancestry is traced
back through the Virginia and North Carolina
settlements to a New England stock of the date
of 1640. He was acquainted with the hardship
of straitened circumstances in his early childhood.
When he was less than five years old his father
met with reverses by too generously becoming
liable for another man's debt. It deprived him
of his business and his home, and forced his emi-
gration to the far southwest to begin life anew.
He located at Huntsville, Alabama.

Leroy was always of a studious habit. He ac-
quired the rudiments of knowledge at home, and
from the few books and periodicals available he
had gained much information before he went to
school. At school learning was a pleasure to
him. Study was a delight, and this love of ap-
plication and research so early manifested was
characteristic of his entire collegiate and theo-
logical course, and remained with him through
life. The days spent in the classic shades of the
old Green Academy at Huntsville were among
the happiest of his youth.



At the age of nineteen he left his home in
Huntsville to enter the University of Nashville,
at Nashville, Tennessee, where he was matricu-
lated in the autumn of 1831, and entered the
junior class. His education had been begun and
was prosecuted from first to last with the ministry
of the Gospel definitely in view.

In the summer of 1834 he was graduated, and
after a visit to his home he returned to Nashville
and taught a select school for a year, from the
proceeds of which he repaid his college debt, and
then accepted the position of tutor in the college.
At the same time, in November, 1835, he placed
himself under the care of the Presbytery of Nash-
ville as a candidate for the Gospel ministry.
Having served as tutor for a year he accepted the
appointment of substitute professor of languages
in place of a professor who was to be absent
for a year.

These three years succeeding graduation, one
spent in private teaching, and two in college
work, were beneficial in fixing and testing scholar-
ship, and also from a financial point of view.
They enabled him to discharge his debt and to
accumulate a fund sufficient to defray the expense
of a theological course.

Retiring from these pleasing associations in the
summer of 1837, after a brief visit to his home
he journeyed eastward by stage coach and steam-



io6



L. J. HALSEY.



boat until, at Frederick, Md., he had his first
view of a railway train, and thence through Bal-
timore and Philadelphia, his first experience of
railway travel, as far as Trenton, N. J. On the
9th day of November he entered the Theological
Seminary of Princeton.

On the 29th day of September, 1840, the semi-
nary life of Dr. Halsey ended with his gradua-
tion. He had been licensed by the Presbytery of
New Brunswick on the 5th day of August pre-
ceding. He immediately began his journey to
the West, stopping in Philadelphia to preach in
several of the churches there and to receive his
commission from the Board of Missions assign-
ing him to missionary labor in the bounds of the
Presbytery of Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

This work continued for more than two years,
when its widely known success and the growing
reputation of Dr. Halsey brought such urgent
calls to wider fields that he was constrained to
give them heed. The one which proved the
most attractive was the one which showed the
greatest need. A recently organized congrega-
tion in the city of Jackson, the capital of Missis-
sippi, was seeking for consecrated leadership and
preaching power. They were without a house
of worship, with little numerical or financial
strength, but with united and zealous purpose
and with a growing and influential community
around, in crying need of Gospel privileges and
influence and work. He accepted their call, and
removing to Jackson, was ordained by the Pres-
bytery of Mississippi and installed pastor on the
2istday of March, 1843.

A commodious house of worship was soon
provided. The congregation grew and the work
enlarged. This prosperous work continued for
five years. During this pastorate, on the 24th
day of April, 1844, he was married to Caroline
Augusta Anderson, of Pendleton, South Carolina,
a granddaughter of Gen. Robert Anderson of
Revolutionary fame.

His well-known success in Jackson led to his
being called to undertake a similar work in Lou-
isville, Kentucky, where a small colony of Presby-
terians desired him to lead them in the work of
founding and establishing a church. Satisfied of



the importance of the enterprise, and undismayed
by its prospective difficulties, he accepted their
call and entered upon the work in the autumn
of 1848.

The church grew rapidly under his ministry.
A comfortable house of worship was speedily pro-
vided, and very soon the congregation, in point
of numbers and ability and efficiency, took rank
with the older churches of the city.

Here he conducted a happy, useful and success-
ful pastorate for ten years, in connection with the
Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church, the same
organization that, in a different locality, is still ac-
tive, strong and prosperous, under the name and
title of the Warren Memorial Church.

In 1859 he was appointed by the General As-
sembly to the Chair of Ecclesiology, Sacred
Rhetoric and Pastoral Theology in the Presby-
terian Theological Seminary of the Northwest,
which the same assembly located at Chicago, on
the basis of an endowment of one hundred thou-
sand dollars donated by the late Cyrus H. Mc-
Cormick, of this city. The institution is now
known as McCormick Theological Seminary.

He entered upon his work in Chicago in the
autumn of that year. The city then contained a
population of barely one hundred thousand. The
seminary was domiciled at first in a rented build-
ing at Clark and Harrison Streets. Two years
later it found temporary quarters in the base-
ment of the North Presbyterian Church at Cass
and Indiana Streets. The present location, at
North Halsted Street and Fullerton Avenue, was
first occupied for seminary purposes in the winter
of 1863 and 1864.

Dr. Halsey continued his active labors in the
seminary for thirty-three years, terminating
them only in 1892, when he was eighty years old.
In addition to the labors of the pastorate and
of the professor's chair he was a faithful and in-
fluential helper in the councils of the church; he
responded to invitations for addresses on public
occasions, and was a frequent contributor to the
columns of the press. In 1858 he published his
first book, "The Literary Attractions of the
Bible," a work of classic merit, which holds and
will continue to hold an assured place among the



L. J. HALSEY.



107



preserved gems of English and American litera-
ture.

After Dr. Halsey came to Chicago his voice
and pen occupied a wider sphere than that of the
seminary alone. He preached often and in many
pulpits all over the land and always with great
acceptance. In 1860 he issued "Life Pictures
from the Bible, ' ' a work that has held, and will
always hold with those who possess it, an eminent
place among the delineations of Bible character.
In 1861 appeared "The Beauty of Immanuel,"
an exposition of the life, character, person, work,
offices and glory of the Christ whom he loved
and adored, a work most stimulating to piety and
helpful to devotion.

In 1866 he published, in three large volumes,
through the Lippincott press, the "Life and
Works of Philip Lindsley, D. D.," a labor of
love, preserving to posterity the literary produc-
tions of one of the most accomplished educators
of his day. In 1871 appeared from his pen "The
Memoir of Lewis W. Green, D. D.," and in 1881
a volume entitled "Living Christianity," a brief,
clear and strong presentation of the fundamentals
of Christian faith and the essentials of Chris-
tian duty.

About this time he became Professor Emeritus
and continued to give regular instruction in
the matters of church government and the sacra-
ments. His pen was by no means idle, for in
1884 he published a very instructive and edifying
book on "Scotland's Influence on Civilization,"
and in 1893 there came from his pen the work
into which he had poured the affections of his
heart and the accumulated events and emotions
of thirty years, "The History of the McCormick
Theological Seminary of the Presbyterian
Church," an octavo volume of five hundred
pages.

Dr. Halsey lived to be eighty-four years old,
dying June 18, 1896.

One of the large privileges of human life is to
dwell in immediate touch with great and good
men. The very presence, the example, and the
teachings of such men, tend to form the character,
to guide the thinking, to elevate the taste and to
direct the activities of whole communities. Be-



neath their kindly but potent influence, society
is rounded out into fairer proportions, the pur-
pose to accomplish noble ends becomes more de-
cisive, sympathy expands and deepens, and life
is found, more and more, to be truly worth the
living. One of the noblest of this high class was
the subject of this sketch.

For thirty-seven years Dr. Halsey lived in
Chicago. He entered on his work in that city
in the zenith of his powers. Long and painstak-
ing education had fitted him to exercise with
commanding ability the sacred office to which he
had been chosen. He had reached first rank as
a preacher and pastor before he entered on the re-
sponsible task of training young men for the
ministry, and he came to this new work ripe in
learning, mature in piety, skilled in administra-
tion, familiar with the best methods of profes-
sional education, intimately acquainted with the
foremost churchmen of the period, ardent in the
cause of a world- wide evangelization, embalmed
in the confidence of the influential communion,
which he represented, and in every way well
fitted to advance the important enterprise to which
he stood committed.

At the time of his entrance to Chicago Dr.
Halsey was called to lay the foundations upon
which varied structures should be raised. Society
was hardly formed, and his influence was felt in
directing it along lines of Christian refinement.
There was but one Presbyterian Church on the
North Side, and that near the heart of the city.
He early helped plant another and then others
as the years went by.

McCormick Theological Seminary was but just
opened in Chicago. Its maintenance and develop-
ment and permanent establishment had yet to be
provided for.

Few men have ever been called to so large and
so varied a work in so important a center and at
such an epoch-making period. For this impos-
ing undertaking he had the equipment requisite,
whether we consider it on the side of a large and
unhesitating faith in the sublime truths which he
came to teach and defend, or in the steady cour-
age for the day of small things to be fostered in a
period of unrest and conflict or of conspicuous



io8



THOMAS GOODE.



talents fitted to meet the diversified calls arising
from the extensive task or of sublime patience
in the midst of the fluctuations and discourage-
ments incident to the sure establishment of a
young institution in the center of a comoaratively
new section of our great country.

In the prosecution of these wide ranging labors
Dr. Halsey laid his formative hand on a larger
number of men than any other theological teacher
of the Presbyterian Church in the West. His
early colleagues soon passed on one in less than
two years, to his heavenly home the others to
important fields elsewhere.

Dr. Halsey remained undaunted at his post in
sunshine and in storm, when rude war rolled un-
checked over the land, when peace once more



settled on a still united nation. Under all the
changes of an eventful period he stood fast, the
one commanding figure in the changing scene,
around whose person the destinies of the institu-
tion revolved, and in whose lone hand its inter-
ests often reposed. And ere yet unseen hands
with gentle touch closed his eyes to earthly sight,
to be re-opened so soon amid the splendors of
mediatorial glory he had witnessed the triumphs
of the cause to which he had devoted so many
years of his life, in the establishment of a semi-
nary of sacred learning, equal in its equipments to
any in the land, and full to overflowing with in-
genuous youth in preparation for the noble work
of preaching the Gospel in every tongue and to
every land under the sun.



THOMAS GOODE.



'HOMAS GOODE, one of Chicago's most
worthy pioneers, now living in rest and re-
tirement on Racine Avenue, was born
April 18, 1816, in the Parish of Enfield, in Mid-
dlesex, near London, England. He is a son of
Thomas and Maria (Head) Goode, the former a
native of Warwickshire, and the latter of Middle-
sex, England.

Thomas Goode, senior, was an orphan from the
time he was a small boy, and was sent to London,
where his eldest brother lived, and where he
learned the trade of baker, at which he worked
for many years. He had seven children that
grew to maturity, three of whom came to America
with their parents. John and Thomas came in
1845, sailing from London, and upon arriving in
New York, they went to Albany by boat, and
from there proceeded to Buffalo by the canal.
From Buffalo they came to Chicago by the old
steamer "Madison."

In 1859 Thomas Goode visited England, and



when he returned to America his parents accom-
panied him, spending their last years in Chicago.
The father died in 1870, his wife having preceded
him by three years. Edward, a younger brother,
came to the United States about 1864, and still
resides in this city, and John Goode makes his
home in Florida.

Thomas Goode received only an ordinary educa-
tion in the schools of his native land, which were
then much poorer than now, and was early em-
ployed in a greenhouse, in the cultivation of
flowers and plants.

In 1840 Mr. Goode married Miss Ellen Colpus,
and their first three children were born in Eng-
land. Soon after coming to Chicago he bought
property on the West Side, in Carpenter's Ad-
dition, and later, bought twelve acres in North
Chicago, afterwards Lake View. Here he raised
vegetables extensively for the city market, and
through his prudence and industry, and the great
growth of the city, became wealthy. He sold



G. N. POWELL.



109



some of his land to a railroad company, and the
remainder mostly in lots. He retired from active
business about ten years ago. Mr. Goode is an
ardent Republican, but has never been willing to
accept any public office himself. He is an ad-
herent of the Protestant Episcopal Church.

Mr. Goode has been married twice. By his
first wife he had six children, two of whom died
in infancy. Those of his children living are:
Edwin Peto; Jane, wife of John M. Gibson; La-



viuia and Rowland T. The mother of this family
died about 1879. In 1891 Mr. Goode married
Miss Margaret M. Gubbins, a native of the city
of Chicago.

Mr. Goode has lived many years in his present
location, and has many friends. He is one of the
oldest and most highly respected citizens of this
part of the city, where, during his long residence,
he has proven his sterling qualities of mind and
heart.



GEORGE N. POWELL.



JEORGE NELSON POWELL, one of Chi-
cago's pioneers, came to the West in 1833.
He was descended from English and Welsh
ancestry, and his lineage has been traced back to
Thomas Powell, who was born in August, 1641
(probably in Wales), and died at Westbury,
Long Island, December 28, 1721. A descendant
of his in the fourth generation, Obadiah Powell,
was the grandfather of the subject of this sketch.
Obadiah Powell died in Saratoga County, New
York, at the age of nearly one hundred years.
Some time previous to the Revolutionary War he
removed thither from Dutchess County, in the
same state, with his wife Betsy, taking all their
belongings on the back of a pony. Like his
Quaker ancestry, he was opposed to war, and
was much censured during the Revolutionary
struggle because of his non-combatant position,
and most of his personal property was confiscated.
He was steadfast in his convictions, however, and
lived to be one of the leading farmers in the com-
munity. At the age of ninety-eight years he
husked several baskets of corn, which he carried
on his shoulder to the loft of his carriage-house.



He was the father of three sons and eight daugh-
ters, all of whom lived to extreme old age, and
his house was the favorite gathering-place of his
descendants. His son, Frost Powell, lived until
1840 in Dutchess County, New York, where he
married Katharine Nelson, who was of Dutch
descent. In 1840 he removed to Waterford, Ra-
cine County, Wisconsin, where he died a few
years later.

His son, George N. Powell, whose name heads
this article, was born August 13, 1807, in Dutchess
County, New York. He received the best edu-
cation that the locality afforded at that time, and
early in life became a general contractor. Being
convinced that the West offered great business
opportunities, he removed in 1833 to Chicago.
Here he rented a tract of land from Archibald Cly-
bourn, and engaged in farming and gardening. In
1836 he located in what was afterwards known as
Jefferson Township, making claim to the north-,
east quarter of section thirty-six, which he pur-
chased at the land sale of 1838. He at once com-
menced the improvement of a farm on this land,
which was then in a state of nature, and for sev-



no



G. N. POWELL.



eral years kept a public house for the entertain-
ment of travelers. While still in the prime of
life, and apparently having many years of active
usefulness before him, he was stricken with
cholera and died August 1 8, 1850. Besides being
a careful and successful business man he was ever
active as a citizen and took a great interest in pub-
lic affairs, affiliating in politics with the Dem-
ocratic party.

March 22, 1835, Mr. Powell married Miss Ara-
mesia Harmon, who was born in Montgomery
County, Virginia, February 27, 1820. Her par-
ents, Henry Harmon and Mary Ann Horn-
barger, were natives of that state, and the chil-
dren of Revolutionary soldiers. Henry Harmon
enlisted as a soldier in the War of 1812, but peace
was declared before his services were called for.
He died October 29, 1829, and his widow mar-
ried Jacob Miller. In 1832 this couple came to
Chicago, where Mr. Miller worked as a carpen-
ter. In 1849 he made the overland journey to
California, and died there in the fall of that year.
His widow died December 27, 1876, in Minne-
sota. The family arrived in Chicago at the time
of the Black Hawk War, and took refuge in Fort
Dearborn. The daughter, Aramesia, was but
twelve years of age at that time, and received her
education and grew to womanhood in the pioneer
settlement. She has been an observant witness
of the marvelous growth of Chicago from a mere
hamlet of log huts to the second city in the land.
George N. and Aramesia Powell were the par-
ents of six children, the first of whom, George
W., died in childhood. John Frost, the second,
is a prominent citizen of Waukegan, Illinois,
where for some years he was largely engaged in
manufacturing. He is especially active and in-
fluential in the municipal affairs of that city, where
he served many years as alderman, and was
Mayor three terms. He is largely interested in
Chicago property. William H., the third son,
was a dealer in real estate in Chicago from 1870
until his death, in August, 1896. He married
Elizabeth J. Ritchie, who bore him a son, George
H. Powell, now engaged in the real-estate bus-
iness in Chicago. Mrs. Elizabeth J. Powell died
in 1886.



Daniel N. and Mary C., the fourth and sixth,
are deceased. A sketch of the fifth, Perry P.,
appears below. In 1862 Mrs. Powell married
Theodore Mismer, a native of Strasburg, which
was at the time of his birth, in France, but now
belongs to Germany. They have one daughter,
Clara, now the wife of Fred C. Irwin, of Chicago.
Perry Polk Powell, the youngest son of George
N. and Aramesia Powell, was born January u,
1845. He remained at home assisting in the
cultivation of the farm and attending the district
school until he reached the age of seventeen
years. At that time the Civil War was stirring
the martial spirit of every patriotic American,
and young Powell was no exception to the rule.
Though still very young, he enlisted, July 6,
1862, in Battery A, First Illinois Light Artillery.
In the fall of that year he took part in the Vicks-
burg Campaign under General Sherman, and
celebrated his eighteenth birthday by participat-
ing in the Battle of Arkansas Post. On account
of sickness he was discharged August 7, 1863, but
on his recovery re-enlisted in Battery G of the
First Illinois Light Artillery, and was discharged
at the close of the war at Memphis, Tennessee.

After farming for one year in Cook County,
Mr. Powell removed to Blairstown, Iowa, where
he carried on a general store for about two years.
He then returned to Cook County, and has since
followed farming and gardening. In 1870 he
also engaged in the real-estate business, in which
he has been very successful. He has given his
hearty support to the Republican party and was
a member of the first board of trustees of Jeffer-
son after its organization as a village. He was
initiated into Masonry in July, 1867, in Lincoln
Lodge No. 199, at Blairstowu, Iowa. He is a
member of Winfield Chapter No. 42, Royal Arch
Masons, and is Past Commander of Winfield Com-
mandery No. 15, Knights Templar, both of Win-
field, Kansas. He is also a member of Siberd
Post No. 58, Grand Army of the Republic, De-
partment .of Kansas. Mr. Powell was married
January 10, 1872, to Miss Mary E., daughter of
Thomas and Christie McGregor. Three children
have blessed this union, named in order of birth,
Maud, Frank and Ethel.



C. B. DUPEE.



CHARLES B. DUPEE.



EHARLES BILUNGS DUPEE. Among
the business men who helped to promote
the growth of Chicago, both materially and
morally, the subject of thisi sketch should receive
honorable mention. His ancestors were the de-
voted French Huguenots, whose love of liberty
and freedom of religious thought induced them to
leave old France and settle in the New World.
James, grandfather of Charles B. Dupee, was born
in Walpole, Massachusetts. He was among the
most progressive of the citizens of the old Bay
State. (See sketch of H. M. Dupee for com-
plete genealogy.)

Their son, Cyrus Dupee, was also born in Wal-
pole, and learned the mercantile business in Bos-
ton. For a long period he was engaged in the
wholesale provision trade in Brighton, Massachu-
setts. He was married at Brighton (now Alls-
ton), Massachusetts, to Miss Elizabeth English,
of that place. He died there in 1841, leaving
eight children. Three of his sons, Charles B.,
Cyrus and Horace Dupee, became prominent bus-
iness men of Chicago, where the last two are still
engaged in active life. He was a man of sterling
character, devoted to his family and diligent in
business. The family has for many generations
been noted in mercantile business, and has al-
ways maintained a high reputation for integrity.

Charles B. Dupee was born in Brighton, Mass-
achusetts, May 12, 1823. His first business under-
taking was in the meat and ice trade at Fitchburg,
Massachusetts, in which he was moderately suc-
cessful. In 1854 he became a resident of Chicago,
establishing himself here in June of that year
his family, which at that time consisted of a wife



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 16 of 111)