Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 2 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 2 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he found employment at cabinet-making, and for
nearly twenty years he worked at his trade, as a
journeyman. At the end of that time his in-
dustry and thrift had enabled him to save a suf-
ficient amount of money to embark in some busi-
ness of his own, and he determined to become a
grocer.

He opened a store on Chicago Avenue, and
soon built up a profitable trade. For eighteen
years he did a prosperous business at this loca-
tion, winning the confidence and good will of his
customers and neighbors, by his unswerving
rectitude and his kindly demeanor. In 1887 he
retired, and since that date has been enjoying
that ease and comfort which is the fitting reward
of a well spent life. Mr. Boesenberg has invested
considerably in real estate, buying property first
on Fulton Street, afterward on Milwaukee Ave-
nue, and still later on North Wood Street, where
he now resides.

In politics he is a Republican, although he has
never been in any sense of the word a political



12



FREDERICK KOLZE.



worker or an aspirant for office. He was for
many years active in the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, but is not now affiliated with any
lodge of that order.

In 1851 he married Miss Dorothee Seemann, a
native of Suttorf, Hanover, the province in which
was the home of his boyhood. Twelve children
have been born to them, six of whom are yet liv-



ing. They are: Henry, a real estate and loan
agent; Margaret, the wife of Henry Stillman; Al-
vina, now Mrs. Henry Hartmann; George, who
is engaged in the grocery business in this city;
John, a resident of Chicago; and Lillian, wife of
William Eickenberg. The family has a wide ac-
quaintance, and enjoys a full measure of respect
in the community at large.



FREDERICK KOLZE.



P~ REDBRICK KOLZE was born July 4, 1836,
rft in the village of Nienhagen, Hanover, Ger-
I many. His parents were Frederick and
Louisa (Koch) Kolze, and an extended account
of his ancestry and family connections may be
found in the biographical sketch of his brother,
Henry D. Kolze, on another page. He came
with his parents to America and lived at home
until his marriage, which took place in 1863. In
April of that year he took up his home at the
place where his widow still resides, buying eighty
acres on the east half of the southwest quarter of
section 20, in Leyden Township, from the Illinois
Agricultural Society. On this land stood a small
cottage, built by Henry Strohmeier. The claim
to the property passed from him to Fritz Bier-
mann, and from the latter to Frederick Kolze,
Senior, father of Frederick. When Mr. Kolze
bought it in 1863 most of the land had already
been placed under cultivation and he paid two
thousand dollars for the tract. In 1877 he erected
the house which was his home during the re-
mainder of his life, and in 1891 he put up new
and commodious barns. Mr. Kolze attended
school in the old country, improving to the utmost
such educational advantages as he enjoyed. He
was a consistent and devout member of the Ger-
man Lutheran Church and an active worker in
the cause of religion. He liberally aided the



erection of St. John's Evangelical Church, of
which Rev. Heinrich Wolf is now pastor.
His life was one void of offense, and he com-
manded the affectionate esteem of all who knew
him.

He was married, April 10, 1863, to Caroline
Wilhelmina, a daughter of Ludwig Banger and
his wife, Wilhelmina Maier. Ludwig Banger
was born in 1800. His father, Herman, was a
carpenter and a prosperous building contractor,
employing a large number of men. Ludwig
Banger, with his wife and five children came to
America in the spring of 1849, on the vessel
"Little Eagle." The ship was a small craft
manned by a crew of seven men -and carrying
only seventy-five passengers, but the voyage
passed pleasantly and occupied only thirty-five
days. His son Frederick had preceded him in
1847, and had settled at Schenectady, New York,
where he was working on a railroad. Ludwig
accordingly made that his objective point, intend-
ing to make it his permanent home, and had
bought a sawmill, when he was attacked by
cholera in such violent form as to cause his death
within six hours. His widow, with her children,
then came on to Chicago, whefe she had friends,
the Fischer family, of Elmhurst, whom she had
known in the fatherland. Mrs. Banger bought a
farm of eighty acres near Lombard, Du Page



J. F. BORGLUM.



County, but after three years sold it and removed
to Chicago, where her boys readily found employ-
ment. Mrs. Banger was born October 24, 1806,
at the same village as her husband; she died
January 27, 1891, at the home of her daughter
Wilhelmina, with whom, she had passed the
closing years of her long and useful life.

Mrs. Kolze's paternal grandfather was twice
married. By his first wife he was the father of
three girls and of Ludwig, the father of Caroline
Banger. He was a farmer and landowner, and
a soldier in the German army. The maternal
grandfather of Mrs. Kolze owned a chicory mill,
which his son operated after his death.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Kolze were:
Herman Ludwig, born February 13, 1864, mar-
ried Matilda Franzen, daughter of Henry Fran-
zen. The second son was Edward Diedrich, born
March 30, 1866, married Augusta Gruenwald



June 18, 1890, and resides at No. 305 Ontario
Street, Oak Park. Gustav Heinrich is the third
son, born May 23, 1868, married Emma Schroe-
der November 5, 1893; she is the daughter of
August Schroeder, of the town of Maine, and
was born December 29, 1871. Frank Karl was
the next in order of birth, born May 24, 1870,
married Clara Louise, daughter of Henry Kolze,
of Turner Park, April 10, 1896. Amanda Louise
was born July 29, 1872, and died March 17,
1893. Robert August was born March 29, 1874,
and now resides in California. George Leonhard
came into the world May 4, 1877, and makes his
home with his mother. Matilda Wilhelmina
was born September 27, 1879, and lives at home
with her mother. Julius Frank, the youngest
son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Kolze, was born
on the 3d of January, 1885, and is still a school
boy.



JAMES F. BORGLUM.



Q AMES FIELD BORGLUM. Mr. Borglum's
I place of business is at Nos. 90 and 92 West
G) Ohio Street, where he conducts a well ordered
saloon. He is a well known and popular man in
that section of the city, as well as among Danish-
Americans in all quarters of Chicago, in which
city he has resided since 1865. He is the young-
est of a family of two sons and three daughters,
of whom mention will be made later. His father
was Soren N. Borglum, of Fauborg, Fyen, Den-
mark, where James Field was born April 22,
1839. The elder Borglum was a man of some
local prominence and followed a sea-fairing life
all his days, dying after serving for several
years as captain on a merchantman. He served in
the navy during the war of 1814, and died in his
native country, at the age of about sixty-seven
years. His widow reached the extraordinary



age of ninety-two years before she followed him
to the grave. The eldest son, Galson, died in
Denmark, after passing life's eighty-second mile-
stone. Two daughters are also living in the old
country, and one has passed away. James Field
Borglum is the only living son, and the sole
representative of the family in America.

His life has been by no means devoid of ex-
periences abounding in interest. As a boy he
attended the public school, and at the age of sev-
enteen years set out to see the world. He first
went to Hamburg, where he shipped before the
mast, on the sailing vessel "Emily Farmen."
His first voyage was to Calcutta, where he re-
mained ten months, a portion of which time he
spent in the hospital, a victim of yellow fever.
He left Calcutta as a sailor on a vessel bound for
New York. From that port he went to Boston,



H. H. HANN.



where heshippedon the sailing vessel "Ceylon,"
bound for Melbourne, which carried passengers
as well as freight, and touched all East Indian
ports. After two and one-half years thus spent
he returned to Boston, and for nine months was
employed in the revenue service, coming to Chi-
cago in 1865. His love for the water was still
strong, and for a year he sailed as one of the
crew of a vessel navigating the lakes. At the
end of that time he returned to Denmark, where
he remained five years, and then determined to
re-visit Chicago. This time he came as the
leader of a party of seventy-five immigrants.
Once more his fondness for a sailor's life over-
came him and he spent another year as a common
sailor on the great inland seas. But his love of
adventure and desire for new scenes was not yet
satisfied, and he made a trip overland to San
Francisco, the journey occupying five months.

He remained in California for some two and
one-half years, devoting himself to salmon fish-
ing. He spent some time at Sacramento and
Santa Rosa, and in the spring of 1871 returned
to Chicago. During the following summer he
was mate upon a schooner engaged in the lake



carrying trade. In the season of 1872 he com-
manded the scljponer "Cecelia," as captain, sail-
ing from Chicago to Detroit and Buffalo, and this
position he held eight years. For one year he
was captain of the schooner "Clara," and for the
next eight commanded the "Olga." His next
vessel was the "Nellator," which he sailed a
year, when the schooner was lost, during a vio-
lent storm in December. With this experience
his life as a sailor came to an end. He resolved
henceforth to be a landsman, and to make Chi-
cago his home, and he embarked in the saloon
business, which he has followed nine years.

In 1872, at Chicago, he married Christina Jel-
strup, a lady born in Denmark. They are the
parents of twelve children, ten of whom are liv-
ing: Edward, James, Annie, Augusta, Henry,
Minnie, Lelia, George, Elizabeth and Edna.

Mr. Borglum is a charter member of Chicago
Lodge No. 91, Ancient Order of United Work-
men, and has been an active member thereof for
twenty-three years. He also belongs to Court
No. 58, Independent Order of Foresters, and was
formerly, and for several years, a member of the
Society Dania.



HERMAN H. HANN.



HERMAN HENRY HANN, the son of Lud-
wig Dietrich Hann, is one of those young
business men of Chicago who, while yet
standing at the threshold of man's estate, have
already given convincing proof of the possession
of those qualities which command respect and in-
sure success.

He was born on section 31, Ley den Township,
July i, 1875, and received his early education in
the public and parish schools of Harlem, Cook
County. At the age of fourteen he began the
actual work of life as clerk for Martin Damman,



of Harlem, with whom he remained for eighteen
months. His next employment was with Cook
& Chick, of Chicago, steam fitters, and after a
year thus spent he was admitted into partnership
in the firm of Hann Brothers, grocers, August
31, 1895, and at present has charge of the Madi-
son Street branch of their business. He is un-
married, and makes his home with his parents.
He is a member of the Turner and Low German
Societies and of the Plattedeutchen Gilden. In
politics he acts independently, paying little atten-
tion to the dictates of partisanship.



LIBRARY
OF THE
i;NIVERSITY OF ILLIN







: ^I




W. T. JOHNSON.



WILLIAM T. JOHNSON.



THOMAS JOHNSON is one of
Chicago's well-known and eminently re-
spected citizens. He is a native of West-
moreland, Oneida County, New York, born
November 16, 1835, being a son of Thomas and
Hannah (Temple) Johnson, the former born in
Scarboro, England, in 1805. At the age of
twenty years he was married to Hannah Temple.
He was a farmer by occupation, and, being am-
bitious for the attainment of better things than
his intelligence and energy were likely to produce
in his native land, on account of lack of opportu-
nity, he decided to go to America, where oppor-
tunities commensurate with his enterprise were
to be embraced.

Accordingly, soon after his marriage, he, with
his young wife, crossed the ocean and settled on
a farm in Oneida County, New York. His in-
dustrious habits soon won for him a substantial
start and in time he became quite wealthy for a
tiller of the soil. To him and his estimable wife
were born nine children: George, now of Marshall-
town, Iowa; John, deceased; Mary Ann, wife of
John Holland, of Oneida County, New York;
William T., of this notice; Henry, deceased;
Juniette; James, of Oneida County, New York;
Charles, deceased; and Edward, also of Oneida
County, New York. Both parents lived to at-
tain a ripe age, the father dying April 7, 1880,
aged seventy-five years, and the mother, March
29, 1885, aged seventy-seven years and two
months.

William T. Johnson was reared on his father's



farm, one of the best in the famed Mohawk
Valley. His educational advantages were limited
to the public schools, where he was instructed in
the primary branches of an English education.
When twenty years of age he went out from his
parental home to seek fortune and position in
Chicago, then as now, the "Eldorado" of the
west. He arrived in that city a total stranger,
without even a letter of recommendation in his
pocket, but he had what was better unlimited
capacity for work, and a keen discriminating in-
telligence. He at once secured work in the lum-
ber yard of Hayes & Morris, where he worked a
year, first as a common laborer, and later as
foreman.

His observing mind, in the meantime, noted
that certain young men of his acquaintance were
filling positions more desirable than the one he
was in, and it was then ambition urged him to
aspire to be something more than a lumber piler.
With that purpose in view he employed a teacher
to instruct him in the intricacies of book-keeping,
and so closely did he apply himself to his task,
that, after a few months, he was qualified to take
a position at the books of another lumber firm,
that of Shearer & Payne, for whom the well-
known W. W. Strong was general manager. In
this position he continued a number of years,
and then resigned to accept a better position with
Mason & McArthur, proprietors of the Excelsior
Iron Works. While there he acquired much
practical knowledge of the iron business; and as
well, acquired an intelligent comprehension of



16



W. T. JOHNSON.



the methods employed in the safe conducting of a
large business enterprise, in which he was almost
equally chargeable, with the members of the
firm, with the conduct of the business. This
close relation with the members of the firm ac-
quainted him with many of the leading business
men of Chicago and the Northwest, whose
confidence and esteem he possessed long before
he went into business for himself. His em-
ployers, recognizing his business ability, and his
strict loyalty to their interests, advanced him in
every way, and ere long he had accumulated a
snug little fortune, the savings from his liberal
salary. His correct business and social habits,
and his frugality and thrift, observed of all his
acquaintances, were as good as cash capital in
hand, as it commanded for him an almost un-
limited line of credit when he came to arrange
for a manufacturing establishment of his own.

In 1864 he formed an association with a Mr.
Holden, and together they built the Phoenix
foundry, at that time the largest in the city,
which they profitably conducted for two years.
In 1866 Mr. Johnson entered into a co-partner-
ship with H. P. Kellogg, to carry on a
wholesale and retail hardware business on Clark
Street, near Monroe Street, where they were
when the great fire of October, 1871, swept away
the store. This inflicted a loss which consider-
ably impaired their individual assets. As soon
thereafter as possible, they established a similar
establishment on Randolph Street, where a suc-
cessful business was carried on until 1891, when
the firm dissolved, and Mr. Johnson retired from
merchandising. The success of his career in a
business and financial sense may now be partly
measured by his large property holdings.

Mr. Johnson now spends his time chiefly in
planning and erecting building improvements on
such vacant lots and blocks as remain in his
possession unimproved. He has built up many
entire blocks in business and flat buildings, and
is still carrying on improvements. "I was a
pioneer on this ground," he has been heard to
say, "and I shall not desert it until every lot
feels the weight of a good building."

Although Mr. Johnson's life has, almost since



his arrival in Chicago, been fraught with weighty
and incessant business cares, he has, withal, been
personally identified with many official positions
of trust. As early as 1890, he became interested
in politics and in that year took an active part in
the local campaign for Mr. Lincoln. Unaided,
he succeeded in raising in the settled portions of
the West Side, enough young men to form a re-
spectable company of "Wide- Awakes," the first
company of the kind in the United States. The
night of their initial appearance they marched
down Lake Street, on which street the Honorable
Joseph Medill then lived, in a small frame house,
and gave him a rousing serenade. Mr. Medill
evinced his appreciation of the honor by making
a short speech to the boys, complimenting
them with a donation of $5 and a suggestion
that they could partake of liquid refreshments at
his expense at a nearby bar. That exciting
campaign introduced Mr. Johnson into politics
and he soon appeared in the councils of the Re-
publican party, as a delegate to conventions and
as committeeman. He very soon became the
acknowledged leader of a very enthusiastic fol-
lowing, and in 1878, entirely without solicitation
on his part, he was nominated for the State
Senate and was triumphantly elected. He was
well received by his associates in the Senate, and
assigned to some of the important committees. He
soon won an enviable reputation as a debater,
and by his logic and eloquence secured the
passage of every measure for which he became
responsible, some of which were of great im-
portance. The bill for registration of voters
was his, and was passed and became the first law
on the subject in this State. Of even more local
importance was his park refunding bill for the
West Side, whose passage he secured and which
proved of immense benefit to the parks and
people of that division of the city. Successful
as he had been as a Senator, he was not a candi-
date for re-election.

In 1880 he received the nomination for
county treasurer and was elected by a large
majority. At the time of his election the tenure
of that office was two years, but during his in-
cumbency the legislature passed an act extending



FRANK SCHWEINFURTH.



the time to three years. He was appointed
railroad' commissioner by Governor Oglesby in
1884, and so satisfactorily did he discharge the
duties of this somewhat difficult position that he
received the warmest commendation of all parties.
He also held the office of indian commissioner,
having been appointed to that position by Presi-
dent Garfield.

Subsequent to Mr. Cleveland's inauguration,
the commissioners were holding a session in
Washington and, although Mr. Johnson believed
the civil service law a good thing, he, at that
time, was of the opinion that the new president
should be allowed to choose his own indian com-
missioners and accordingly he offered a reso-



lution that the commissioners resign in a body.
To this his colleagues demurred, but he acted
upon his own convictions and tendered his resig-
nation to the President, which was accepted.

Mr. Johnson is a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity, being connected with Lafayette Chapter,
Royal Arch Masons, and Chicago Commandery,
No. 19, Knights Templar. He was married May
21, 1862, to Miss Kate A. E., adopted daughter
of Judge Nathan Allen. Three children have
resulted from this union, namely: Catherine
Grace, wife of H. L. Bleecker, of Los Angeles,
California; Etta Alice, who died in 1898; and
Mabel, wife of Dr. W. B. Marcusson, of Rush
Medical College.



FRANK SCHWEINFURTH.



[""RANK SCHWEINFURTH, SENIOR.

to This veteran of the war of the Rebellion , who
I has been identified with the history of Chi-
cago since 1852, was born at Wiesloch, Baden,
Germany, May 29, 1837. His father, who was
the proprietor of a noted bakery, was named
John, and his mother, Mary. Both died in the
Fatherland they loved so well, but the six of
their children who reached maturity emigrated
to America. Mary, the first born, arrived in
1846. She was the wife of Victor Jones, and
both she and her husband are now deceased. In
1852 came Barbara, who fell victim to the chol-
era shortly after her arrival. Clara, the young-
est daughter, married Frederick Edler, and died
in 1863. George is a flour merchant, doing busi-
ness at Nos. 377 and 379 West Lake street, and
Philip is deceased.

Mr. Frank Schweinfurth, after receiving an el-
ementary education in the public schools, learned
the baker's trade, and followed that pursuit some
years, after which for five years he drove a bak-



er's wagon. When President Lincoln issued his
first call for volunteers in April, 1861, young
Schweinfurth joined the ranks of the ninety-day
recruits, in the Turners' Union Cadets. He re-
enlisted for three years in the Twenty-Fourth
Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served with such
gallantry that January i, 1862, he was promoted
to a second lieutenancy in Company K, and in
the following June was commissioned first lieu-
tenant of Company E. He commanded his com-
pany at Chickamauga, in which battle he was
made a prisoner. For ten months he was con-
fined in Libby Prison, and was then taken to
Macon, Georgia, and later to Charleston and Co-
lumbia, South Carolina, and to Raleigh and Wil-
mington, North Carolina, spending eighteen
months in rebel prisons. At Wilmington he was
exchanged, and in March, 1865, was mustered
out of the service by general order of the War
Department, at Annapolis, and was paid off at
Washington.
Returning to Chicago he engaged in business



i8



CHRISTOPH VOELKER.



on his own account, purchasing an interest in his
brother's bakery at No. 413 South Clark Street.
Soon afterward he disposed of this place and em-
barked in the wholesale flour business, in part-
nership with his brothers, George and Philip.
For a year the firm was located on West Erie
Street and was then dissolved. The second year
Philip and Frank reopened business at No. 28
Market Street. Thence they removed to Nos.
250 and 252 South Water Street, and just before
the great fire of 1871 they established themselves
at No. 403 South Clark Street, where they opened
a bakery in connection with their flour store.
Here business was not so good as Mr. Schwein-
furth wished, and for several years he has not been
engaged in the trade, living quietly in retirement.
Mr. Schweinfurth cast his first presidential
vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860, and until
within recent years has been an active worker in
the Republican party, standing high in its coun-
cils, but never seeking reward in the shape of
political preferment. In his earlier years he was



fond of social pleasures and a member of numer-
ous organizations, among them being Hose Com-
pany No. 3, of the old Volunteer Fire Depart-
ment, which he joined in 1855; the Masonic fra-
ternity, the order of Odd Fellows and various
singing societies. He was also a charter member
of Lyon Post No. 9, Grand Army of the Repub-
lic. He is still a member of the Chicago Turn-
Gemeinde, with which he has been connected
since 1855. When this society built its present
hall he was treasurer and a member of the build-
ing committee.

December 5, 1865, he was united in marriage
to Eva Margaret Walter, who has borne him sev-
en children, six of whom are yet living: Anna,
Katharine, George J., Frank, Junior, Clara (who
died May i, 1897), Julia and Philip.

Mr. and Mrs. Schweinfurth, with their chil-
dren, are members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church, and the family is universally held in
high esteem in the community in which they
have lived so long.



CHRISTOPH VOELKER.



/7JHRISTOPH VOELKER. For forty-six
|( years Mr. Voelker has been a resident of
U Chicago, having accompanied his father's
family on their emigration from Germany in the
fall of 1853. He was born at Rockwitz, Meck-
lenburg-Schwerin, Germany, January 30, 1844.
His father's name was Ernst Voelker, of whom a
more extended mention may be found in the
biographical sketch of William Voelker, brother
of Christoph. The latter was educated at the



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 2 of 111)