Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 27 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 27 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Connecticut. Many served in "King Philip's
War, ' ' and fifty-two were active in the Revolu-
tion, of whom nine participated in the battle of
Bunker Hill, where one fell from his dying horse.

Joseph Spalding, grandfather of Jesse, was
born in Plainfield, Connecticut. He was an of-
ficer of the Revolutionary army, and removed to
Pennsylvania in 1780, settling on land near Ath-
ens, Bradford County, on the upper waters of the
Susquehanna River. This land was claimed by
both Connecticut and Pennsylvania, and Mr.
Spalding was obliged to pay tribute to both com-
monwealths before he could secure a clear title.
This was a great hardship, but he went to work



with characteristic energy, and shortly thereafter,
despite all discouragements, became a prosperous
farmer and leading citizen of the community.

John, father of Jesse Spalding, was active and
influential in Bradford County affairs, and at one
time occupied the office of Sheriff, winning uni-
versal approbation by the intrepid and vigorous
manner in which he discharged his official (and
often perilous) duties in a new and somewhat
lawless community. His wife, Elizabeth, was a
daughter of Dr. Amos Prentiss, a distinguished
physician of Groton, Connecticut, and a represen-
tative of a prominent Colonial family.

Jesse Spalding was born at Athens, Pennsylva-
nia, April 15, 1833. While assisting his father
in farm work, he found time to acquire such edu-
cation as the common schools and the academy
of his native town afforded. On attaining his
majority he engaged in lumbering on the north
branch of the Susquehanna, and became a woods-
man and raftsman. At the age of twenty-three
he began to deal in lumber on his own account,
and was successful. His product was rafted to
Middletown, Columbia and Port Deposit, and
marketed in Washington, Alexandria, Norfolk
and Richmond, Virginia, and other points.

Foreseeing the rapid growth of the young city
of Chicago, he removed hither in 1857, and
soon after bought a sawmill at Menekaunee, at
the mouth of the Menominee River, in Wiscon-
sin, where he commenced the manufacture of
lumber. This mill was burned in 1870, rebuilt
and burned in 1871, rebuilt in 1872, and is now
finely equipped with gang, band and circular
saws and modern machinery, being thoroughly
complete in all its appointments. For a time
business was conducted by the firm of Wells &



176



JESSE SPALDING.



Spalding, the firm name later becoming Spalding
& Porter, and subsequently Spalding, Houghtel-
ing & Johnson. In 1871, the concern was incor-
porated as the Menominee River Lumber Com-
pany, and in 1892 Mr. Spalding purchased the
interest of his partners, and has since been the
sole owner. Shortly after he bought out the
New York Lumber Company at Menekaunee, he
secured a milling property at the mouth of Cedar
River, about thirty miles above the city of Me-
nominee, and in 1882 he organized the Spalding
Lumber Company, of which he became President,
being at the same time its active manager. His
purchases of timber-lands in Wisconsin and Michi-
gan to supply the mills of these companies with
logs have aggregated two hundred and sixty-five
thousand acres. Besides its value for timber, this
land has proven rich in iron ore, and three mines
are now successfully operated on the property.
The output of the mills at Cedar River is shipped
in boats owned by the Spalding Lumber Com-
pany direct to Chicago, whence it is distributed
from the Chicago yards to the western and south-
western markets in Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska,
Kansas and Missouri. Lumber has also been ship-
ped recently, in large quantities, direct from the
mills at Menekaunee to Detroit, Buffalo, Roch-
ester, Albany and Boston. The companies of
which Mr. Spalding is the head are among the
largest of their kind, and annually produce from
sixty to seventy-five millions of feet of lumber.

Although he cannot be said to have been a pio-
neer in the lumber business of Chicago, few men
have been more closely identified with its growth
than Mr. Spalding. In fact, his name is indissol-
ubly linked with the political, social and business
interests of the city and the Northwest.

Mr. Spalding is amply fitted by nature and
training for the manipulation of large interests,
and his success is in no small degree due to the
fact that he does not despise small things. All
the minutiae of his extensive interests are famil-
iar to him, and his practical experience enables
him to give attention to the smallest details. His
investments in banking and other financial con-
cerns are made with the same judicious care, and
are equally successful with his other undertak-



ings. He is a director in many large corporations
of the city, and his advice is frequently sought in
the conduct of many important enterprises. It is
not strange that his fellow-citizens should discover
in him a capable man of affairs; and when the city
was destroyed by fire in 1871, he was sought out
as one who would be useful in adjusting public
business to existing conditions, and in raising
Chicago from its ashes and reviving business ac-
tivity. He was three years in the City Council,
and while Chairman of the Finance Committee,
he, by judicious management, aided in the resto-
ration of the city's financial credit, materially
furthering the establishment of good municipal
government. In 1861, when the Nation was
threatened with destruction, Mr. Spalding was
among its most active defenders. He was re-
quested by the Adjutant-General of the State of
Illinois to build and equip barracks for the Gov-
ernment soldiers (afterward known as "Camp
Douglas"), besides which he built barracks the
following year on the North Side for returning
soldiers. He furnished all the material for these
structures, receiving in payment the State Audi-
tor's warrants, there being no funds in the Treas-
ury to be applied to this purpose.

Mr. Spalding has been an active worker in the
interests of the Republican party from its incep-
tion, because he believed the weal of the Nation
depended upon the success of the principles main-
tained by that party. He was a personal friend
of Grant, Arthur and Conkling, as well as other
now prominent National leaders, and gave coun-
sel in many grave exigencies. He presided at
the unveiling of the Grant monument in Lincoln
Park. In 1881 he was appointed by President
Arthur Collector of the Port of Chicago, and filled
that office in a manner most acceptable to the
Government and the people of the city. With
him a public office is a trust, to be executed with
the same faithful care which one bestows on his
own private affairs; and when he was appointed
Director of the Union Pacific Railroad on behalf
of the Government by President Harrison, he
made a personal investigation of the property in
his own painstaking way, submitting the report to
the Secretary of the Interior. This report, which



S. P. McCONNELL.



177



gave a careful review of the resources of the
country traversed by the line, and its future pros-
pects, was ordered printed by Congress, and com-
manded careful attention from financiers and those
concerned in the relations of the Pacific roads to
the Government. It was also embraced in the
annual report of the Board of Directors of the
Union Pacific Railway Company.

Mr. Spalding was associated with William B.
Ogden and others in the project for cutting a
canal from Sturgeon Bay to Green Bay, by which
the danger of navigating "Death's Door" ' (as the
entrance to Green Bay is known) could be avoid-
ed, as well as saving a distance of about one hun-



dred and fifty miles on each round trip between
Chicago and Green Bay ports. This was com-
pleted in 1882 by the Sturgeon Bay & Lake
Michigan Ship Canal and Harbor Company, of
which Mr. Ogden was the first President, suc-
ceeded on his death by Mr. Spalding. During
the first year of its operations, 745,128 tons of
freight passed through the canal, and in 1892
the business amounted to 875,533 tons. In 1891
4,500 vessels (trips) passed through, and the
next year the number was 5,312. Congress hav-
ing passed an act to purchase the canal and make
it free to all navigators, it was turned over to the
United States Government in 1893.



HON. SAMUEL P. McCONNELL.



ON. SAMUEL PARSONS McCONNELL
was born in Springfield, Illinois, July 5,
1849. His parents, John and Elizabeth
(Parsons) McConnell, still reside at Springfield.
James McConnell, grandfather of the subject of
this sketch, came from County Down, Ireland,
about 1810, and engaged in the manufacture of
gunpowder in New Jersey. He afterward re-
moved to Sangamon County, Illinois, where he
became an extensive farmer and wool-grower.
He was one of the first to cultivate the prairie
soil of Illinois, demonstrating its fertility and
general advantages to his neighbors. He amassed
considerable property, and died in 1867.

John McConnell was born in Madison County,
New York, but went with his parents to Illinois
in his youth. When the United States became
involved in civil strife, he recruited a company of
soldiers, and entered the military service as a
Captain, rising by promotion to the rank of Gen-
eral. Since the close of the war he has been en-
gaged in the insurance business in Springfield.
Mrs. Elizabeth McConnell was born in Connecti-



cut, and is descended from English emigrants who
located there about the middle of the seventeenth
century. Her grandfather, John Parsons, was a
Captain in the Continental army.

Samuel P. McConnell was educated at the
Springfield High School and Lombard University
at Galesburg, Illinois, graduating from the latter
institution in 1871, with the degree of Bachelor
of Arts. He read law with the firm of Stewart,
Edwards & Brown, of Springfield, and was ad-
mitted to the Bar in 1873. In December of the
same year, he came to Chicago, where he has
since been a prominent member of the Bar, and
has occupied an honorable position upon the
Bench.

In 1889 he was elected a Judge of the Circuit
Court of Cook County, to fill the vacancy caused
by the death of Judge McAllister, and, upon the
expiration of the term in 1891, he was re-elected.
In 1894 he resigned this office, and resumed his
private practice. He was led to take this step by
the inadequacy of the salary paid a Circuit Judge.
It is much to be regretted that almost any man



I 7 8



MINER RAYMOND.



fitted to grace and honor the Bench is able to earn
several times the salary of a Judge in private
practice.

Among the most prominent cases tried before
Judge McConnell may be mentioned the first
Croniu trial, the case of Ross versus White, the
Chicago City Railway Company versus Springer,
and the receivership of the J. H. Walker Com-
pany, in which property to the amount of five
millions of dollars was involved. His impartial
and equitable decisions earned him the respect of
attorneys, jurors and litigants, and his departure
from the Bench was widely regretted.

In 1876 he was married to Miss Sarah Rogers,
daughter of Judge John G. Rogers, of whom ex-
tended mention is made on other pages of this
volume. Judge and Mrs. McConnell are the par-
ents of three children, named, respectively, Julia,
James and Eleanor.

From youth Judge McConnell has been a Dem-
ocrat, departing from the precepts and example
of his father. He has never been a candidate for



any other office than that of Judge, though re-
peatedly importuned by party managers to be-
come a political leader. Among the social and
fraternal associations into which he has naturally
been drawn, may be mentioned the Iroquois, Lit-
erary and Waubausee Clubs. While President of
the first-named organization, he took a decided
position on the silver question, which was antag-
onistic to that of many members, and he felt it
incumbent upon him to resign, but this act
aroused such a strong protest in the club, that he
was induced to withdraw his resignation.

He presided over the city convention which se-
lected delegates to the State Democratic Confer-
ence, held at Springfield in June, 1895, to deter-
mine the attitude of the party on the silver issue.
He was made Permanent Chairman of this con-
ference, which wholly sustained his views upon
the question at issue. In this, as in all other
matters affecting public policy, he has been actu-
ated by a desire to promote the general welfare,
and without wish to occupy office.



REV. MINER RAYMOND, D. D., LL.D.



|~)EV. MINER RAYMOND, D.D., U,.D.,
Y\ the oldest college professor in the Methodist
P \ denomination, both in respect to age and
length of service, and one of the oldest teachers
of theology now living, is a resident of Evanston,
and until a short time since was active in edu-
cational work, in which he had been engaged for
more than sixty years. He is a native of New
York City, and was born on the 2gth of August,
1811. His father was Nobles Raymond, and the
genealogist of this family has traced its descent
from Raimonde, Count of Toulouse, France, and
demonstrated that, on account of its espousal
of the Huguenot faith, its members were expa-
triated, and some fled to Essex, England, whence



the emigration to America occurred. The Ray-
monds became settlers in New England, and now
a host of this name, many of them prominent in
commercial and educational affairs, trace their
descent to the two or three who came to the
colonies in very early times.

Nobles Raymond married Hannah Wood, and
they became the parents of nine children, of
whom Miner was the eldest. Soon after his birth
his father removed with his family to the village
of Rensselaerville, New York, and there the boy,
when of school age, began to receive the rudi-
ments of his education, remaining in school un-
til twelve years of age. At that time his services
were required in his father's shop, and he spent



MINER RAYMOND.



179



the following six years in learning the art of
making shoes, in which he became so proficient
that his handiwork was second to that of no other
workman in style or finish. The same rule of
doing well whatever he did was as rigidly ad-
hered to when he was a mechanic as it has been
since he has held a position in the forefront of
educators.

The event in his youth most far-reaching in its
results on character and fortune was his conver-
sion and union, at the age of seventeen years,
with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which
he was to be so conspicuous and honored. His
father and mother were faithful adherents of that
creed. For more than twenty years they were
the only permanent residents of Rensselaerville
who were connected with that church, and their
house was ever a home for Methodist ministers.
The account of the great revival at Wilbraham,
Massachusetts, kindled in Miner Raymond a de-
sire for knowledge; it was the turning-point in a
great life, starting him on a new course and
bringing him into intimate and helpful relations
with an educational institution. Through the
efforts of the Presiding Elder of the district in
which he resided, he began his advanced educa-
tion in the Wesleyan Academy at Wilbraham,
then the only Methodist institution of learning of
any magnitude on this continent, of which only
three or four were then in existence. Like many
another student, he added to his limited means
by the labor of his hands; and the proceeds of
his work on the bench, mending the boots and
shoes of his fellow-students, helped to meet the
expenses incident to his education. But this did
not continue long. It was soon discovered that
he was endowed with the gift of teaching, and he
was made assistant teacher, a position which he
held for three years, while still a student in the
academy. His especial faculty for elucidating
the principles of arithmetic, which were then
very imperfectly treated in the textbooks, led to
his selection as teacher of a class of teachers, and
this was the starting point of his long career as
an educator.

Graduating in 1831, he was immediately made
a member of the faculty, and taught in that in-



stitution with marked success for ten years. In
1833 his name appears in the catalogue as usher,
and it was then he began his remarkable peda-
gogic labors. In 1834 he was advanced to the
charge of the English department, where he
labored with great success and growing popu-
larity for four years. During this period he had
been a diligent student and had delved deep into
the mysteries of ancient languages, the natural,
mental and moral sciences, and the higher mathe-
matics, for which he discovered a taste and apti-
tude. When the degrees were conferred by the
Wesleyan University upon the students he had
taught at the academy, he received, in recogni-
tion of his high ability and efficient services,
the honorary degree of Master of Arts. In 1838
he was promoted to the chair of mathematics,
which he filled with distinction for the three
years he remained as a teacher in the institution.

While yet engaged in teaching, Professor Ray-
mond joined the New England Conference, in
1838, and three years later entered upon pastoral
work. He served two years at Worcester, Massa-
chusetts, four years at Church and Bennett Street
Churches, Boston, and in 1847 went to Westfield,
where he remained one year.

Upon the resignation of Robert Allyn as Prin-
cipal of the Wesleyan Academy, Professor Ray-
mond was requested by the trustees to take the
position at the head of that institution. The
pastorate was the ideal life work to which he was
attached and for which he had educated himself,
but, after mature consideration, he decided to put
aside preference, and accept what he considered
a call of duty, and entered upon the work with a
devotion and energy that left a very deep impres-
sion upon the school at the head of which he
stood.

The first two or three years of Dr. Raymond
at Wilbraham were tentative and preparatory.
New buildings were necessary to the success of
the school, and how to get them was a problem,
the solution of which demanded his full strength;
but he met the difficulties and conquered where
most men would have failed. In spite of debt
and other obstacles, he succeeded in erecting
Fisk Hall, in 1851. In the two years following



i8o



MINER RAYMOND.



the number of pupils greatly increased, and in
the year 1853 rose to over six hundred, nearly
double the attendance of previous years. Through
the efforts of Dr. Raymond, Binney Hall was
built, in 1854. The principal building of the
institution, including its dormitory and board-
ing apartments, was destroyed by fire two
years later. Nothing daunted by this calamity,
he set about obtaining the means to rebuild it in
still nobler proportions, and that same year suc-
ceeded in completing a structure costing fifty
thousand dollars. By the act of an incendiary,
in 1857, tn i s structure was also destroyed, but
Dr. Raymond and a few brave aids rose superior
to the discouragements that had beset them, ob-
tained money by popular subscription, aroused
the friends of education throughout the state, and,
by petition and strong personal influence, secured
legislative aid, by which means a third building,
more commodious, more beautiful and more cost-
ly than its predecessors, rose upon the site of
their ruins, and to-day is the chief ornament of
this seat of learning, a monument to the faith
and indomitable courage of Dr. Raymond.

In 1864 he was elected to the chair of system-
atic theology in Garrett Biblical Institute, Evans-
ton, Illinois, and resigned his position at the
head of the academy, which he left enjoying a
high degree of prosperity. Coming to Evanston,
he entered upon a work which his long experience
as a teacher, ripe scholarship, and devotion to his
profession have made eminently successful and
gratifying in its results. For thirty-one years
he filled a position in which he was eminently
useful as a teacher, and during three years of
that time was also pastor of the First Methodist
Episcopal Church in Evanston. Soon after en-
tering the institute, he became convinced that he
was spending one-third of his time in telling the
students what the meaning of the theological
authors was. Then came the determination to
write out his lectures and make the expression
as plain as possible, so that theology might be
clearly taught and readily understood. In due
time appeared his "Systematic Theology," in
three volumes, intended for students preparing
for the Methodist ministry, which has proved to



be a very popular book. One distinguished
authority is quoted as saying: "It is the strong-
est defense of Armiuianism we have seen." Be-
sides his pastoral work, Dr. Raymond has helped
to direct the work of the church in its national
councils. Six times he was elected as a delegate
to the General Conferences, as follows: Pitts-
burgh, in 1848; Boston, in 1852; Indianapolis, in
1856; Buffalo, in 1860; Philadelphia, in 1864;
and Brooklyn, in 1868.

Dr. Raymond was married, August 20, 1837,
to Elizabeth Henderson, of Webster, Massachu-
setts, who died September 19, 1877. Five chil-
dren were born of this union, all of whom are
now living. Mary is the widow of Philip B.
Shumway, the builder of the Elgin, Joliet &
Eastern Railroad, and now resides in Evanston.
William is in the employ of that railroad. Samuel
B. is a prominent citizen and prosperous sugar
broker in Chicago. James H. is a well-known
and successful patent lawyer in Chicago. Freder-
ick D. is Secretary and Treasurer of the Elgin,
Joliet & Eastern Railway Company.

On July 28, 1879, Dr. Raymond was united in
marriage with Isabella (nee Hill), widow of Rev.
Amos Binney. Dr. Raymond's domestic life has
been a pleasant one; his house has been the dwell-
ing-place of peace and happiness. His exemp-
tion from illness up to the past winter, and the
contentment of his mind, have conspired to pre-
serve his physical vigor, which is evidenced by
the full head of hair, now of flowing whiteness,
and the clear, bright eye which lends vivacity to
his countenance.

Rev. David Sherman, D. D., author of the
' ' History of the Wejleyan Academy at Wilbra-
ham," has thus written of Dr. Raymond:

' ' His first essays in teaching reveal the born
schoolmaster, destined to advance to the fore-
front. No one who attended his classes can ever
forget his clear and forcible instructions. The
principles involved in the study were seized upon
and traced onward through intricate problems as
in lines of light. No one could fail to see or to
be carried with the demonstration. But his
superiority as a teacher was not simply in the ex-
tent and accuracy of his knowledge, or even in



JAMES McMAHON.



181



his ability to make truth visible; it was rather in
that higher ability to develop the student and to
create in him the capacity to investigate and
master truth. It was not simply the amount of
knowledge he communicated, it was the way he
impressed himself upon other minds coming un-
der his instruction. The man, even more than
the pedagogue, was behind his utterances. ' '

The same writer, in speaking of him as a
preacher, says:

' ' With him religion was the main considera-
tion, and his convictions on the subject were
deep and strongly expressed. He spoke with
the demonstration of the spirit and power. If
his prayers and exhortations were thoughtful and
intellectual, they were, at the same time, intense



and fervid, enlisting the emotions of the heart as
well as the accurate formulations of the brain.
* * * * Though gifted with large capacity
for astute and accurate thought, he was gladly
heard by the people, because his logic usually
came to a white heat. To the religious people of
Wilbraham he was for a quarter of a century the
oracle. No other principal, certainly after Dr.
Fisk, obtained so firm and enduring a hold upon
the people as Miner Raymond."

What was said in those days may be repeated
with emphasis concerning his labors in later
years, when in the enjoyment of his full intel-
lectual strength and the knowledge and experi-
ence gained in more than half a century of con-
tinuous mental activity.



JAMES McMAHON.



(TAMES McMAHON. Few people in Evan-
I ston are as well known, or regarded with as
(*/ much sincere respect and admiration, as the
subject of this notice and his excellent wife.
During their residence of over thirty years in
Cook County, they have been almost constantly
identified with charitable and philanthropic en-
terprises, and have won the friendship of both
rich and poor to an unusual degree.



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 27 of 111)