Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 29 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 29 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


has for many years resided in Cook County, and
is so widely and favorably known that he needs
no special introduction to the readers of this vol-
ume. This work would be incomplete without
the record of his life, which is as follows: He
was born February 13, 1815, in Bath, Steuben
County, New York, and is a son of Daniel Mc-
Daniel, who was of Scotch descent, but was born
in the State of New York and made farming his
life work. He married Rachel Taner, a lady who
was born and reared in the Mohawk Valley, and
was a descendant of the Mohawk Dutch. They
became the parents of seven children, four sons
and three daughters.

Alexander McDaniel is the eldest son. The
days of his boyhood and youth were spent in his
parents' home and he became familiar with all the
duties of farm life. He aided in the cultivation
of the old homestead until he had attained his
majority, when he started out for himself, and,
leaving the East upon the tide of emigration which
was steadily moving westward, he came to Chica-
go, arriving in this city on the 27th of May, 1836.
Here he worked until the I4th of August, when
he went to New Trier Township, spending sever-
al days looking up lands on the Ouilmette Indian
reservation. He then returned to Chicago, where
he continued until October, when he again came
to New Trier Township, and pre-empted one hun-
dred and sixty acres of Government land where



the town of Winnetka now stands. The land in
the reservation had not then been surveyed. Mr.
McDaniel deposited the price of the property with
the Government agent until it should be surveyed
and placed upon the market, which was four
years later. He built a log cabin, one of the first
four houses which stood between Chicago and the
present site of Winnetka, and there he kept bach-
elor's hall for four years. The only neighbors he
had for the first year, except Erastus Patterson,
were Indians, and he was the only young man in
that locality. Speaking of the Indians, he said
the Ouilmettes were quite enlightened and good
neighbors, always being peaceable. Mr. McDan-
iel purchased three forty-acre tracts of land, pay-
ing the usual price of $1.25 per acre, and forty
at twenty shillings per acre. Upon this land a
part of the town of Evanston now stands. When
he first came to Cook County there were only
three small log cabins north of Chicago, and many
of the now thriving villages and cities had not
sprung into existence, while the work of progress
and civilization seemed hardly begun.

On the 27th of November, 1842, an important
event in the life of Mr. McDaniel occurred, his
marriage with Miss Emeline Huntoon. The la-
dy was born in Champlain, New York, March 1 1,
1824, and is a daughter of George W. and Lucin-
da (Bowler) Huntoon, whose family numbered
ten children. The father was a ship carpenter,
and was born in Vermont, December 9, 1791.
The mother was born January 9, 1796. With
their family they came to Cook County in 1840,



W. R. DERBY.



189



settling on the present site of South Evanston.
Mr. and Mrs. McDaniel became the parents of six
children. Jane, who was the wife of William
H. Kinney, Postmaster of Wilmette, is now de-
ceased; Ellen, widow of A. B. Balcam, resides
with her parents; Charles, who enlisted at the age
of sixteen and served three years in the Eighth
Illinois Cavalry, is now a carpenter and contractor
of Wilmette; George is interested in mining in
Colorado; Henry is a policeman of Wilmette;
and William Grant is a fireman on the North-
Western Railroad.

Mr. McDaniel exercises his right of franchise
in support of the Republican party. His first vote
was cast on the 4th of May, 1837, for William
B. Odgen, first mayor of Chicago, and his first
presidential vote supported William Henry Harri-
son . Soon after the village of Wilmette was start-
ed, he was appointed the first Postmaster, hold-
ing the office for nineteen successive years, when
he resigned in favor of Mr. Kinney, the present
incumbent. He has never sought or desired po-



litical preferment, his time and attention being
largely occupied by his business interests. His
wife, a most estimable lady, holds membership
with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and takes
an active part in its work and upbuilding. For
twenty-six years Mr. McDaniel has been a resi-
dent of Wilmette. His first home at this place,
located on Center Avenue, was the fourth house
built in the town, and in it he resided for twen-
ty-three years. In 1891, he erected a more sub-
stantial and modern dwelling on the same street,
and there spends his declining days. He has wit-
nessed almost the entire growth and development
of the county, the best interests of the communi-
ty ever find in him a friend, and his hearty sup-
port and co-operation are given to those enter-
prises which are calculated to advance the gener-
al welfare. His sterling worth and strict integri-
ty have made him a leading citizen of the com-
munity and one well worthy of representation in
this volume.



WILLIAM R. DERBY.



fDQlLLIAM R. DERBY, who was for many
\ A / vears prominently identified with the his-
Yf tory of this community, was numbered
among the honored pioneer settlers, having be-
come a resident of Cook County in 1834. He
was born in Dorset, Bennington County, Ver-
mont, on the 1 7th of March, 1805, and was a
son of Sylvester Derby, whose birth occurred in
the same locality in 1780. In 1816 the father
removed with his family to Genesee County, New
York, where he remained until his death, which
occurred at the ripe old age of ninety years.

William Derby spent the first sixteen years of his
life at his parents' home, and then began to learn
the trade of a wool carder and dresser, which he



followed for nine years. He later engaged in the
hotel business for nearly two years, and in 1834
he emigrated westward to try his fortunes on the
broad prairies of Illinois. He settled on section
34, township 37, range 11, about three miles
southeast of the village of Lemont. At that
time there were only two houses between Joliet
and Chicago. The latter place was a small vil-
lage, and the most far-sighted could not have
dreamed of the prominence and importance which
were to make it the metropolis of the West and
one of the important cities of the world. Mr.
Derby had for neighbors a brother-in-law, Jere-
miah Luther, Orange Chauncy and Joshua Smith,
all natives of Vermont except Mr. Luther, who



190



W. R. DERBY.



was born in New York. When Mr. Derby came
to Cook County he had a span of horses, harness
and wagon, some household effects and $40 in
money. He disposed of his team in order to pay
for his land when it came into market, and he
was thus enabled to purchase one hundred and
forty acres. It was wild land, but with charac-
teristic energy he began its development, and in
course of time transformed it into a fertile farm.
He built a log house, in which he lived for about
twenty-five years, and then erected a two-story
brick residence, which he made his home until
1879, when he sold his farm (then containing
two hundred acres) and removed to Lemont.

Mr. Derby was married on the 28th of June,
1830, in Castile, New York, to Miss Eliza N.
Luther. Together they traveled life' s j ourney for
about half a century. On the 5th of April, 1880,
Mrs. Derby was called to the home beyond. She
was beloved by all who knew her and her friends
were many, By their marriage were born four
children, of whom two are now living. Sylvester
L., the elder, was born in Castile, New York,
September 18, 1836, and at a very early age was
brought to Lemont, where he has since made his
home. He graduated from the high school of
Chicago, and during his early business career
followed farming, but in 1879 he disposed of his
land and removed to Lemont, where he embarked
in the lumber trade, and also in the manufacture
of lumber in Michigan. His standing as a busi-
ness man is above reproach. His systematic
methods, his enterprise and his fair and honor-
able dealing have gained him the confidence and
esteem of all with whom he has been brought
in contact. He enjoys a liberal patronage, and
has a well-equipped lumber-yard. On the 24th
of September, 1855, he was married to Charlotte
D. Russell, of Dover, New Hampshire, and to
them were born five children, four yet living,
namely: Mrs. Ida E. Brown, Sylvester O.,O. R.
and J. A. L. The three sons are associated with
their father in the lumber trade. They are thor-
ough business men, of sterling integrity, and the
firm is one of prominence in the community.



Sylvester L- Derby has been honored with sev-
eral offices of trust, the duties of which have
ever been discharged with promptness and fidel-
ity. In politics he is a Republican. In 1892 he
was President of the Illinois Retail Lumber Deal-
ers' Association. Although he is now nearing
his sixtieth birthday, he is still hale and hearty
as a young man of twenty-five, and is recognized
as one of the leading citizens of Lemont.

John T. Derby, the younger son of William R.
Derby, was born in Lemont, October 29, 1840,
acquired his early education in a log schoolhouse
at Gooding's Grove and later was graduated from
Castile University. He began life as a school
teacher in the town of Palos, Cook County, and
for several years continued teaching in Cook and
Will Counties. He studied law with Judge J. P.
Atwood, of Chicago, where he was admitted to
the Bar, and in 1 873 was chosen Assistant County
Superintendent of Schools under George D. Plant,
which position he held until the close of Mr. Plant' s
official term. He was the first City Attorney of
Lemout, and was a member of its first Board of
Education. On the 7th of May, 1862, was cele-
brated his marriage with Clara H. Dakin, of
Millerton, Dutchess County, New York, and by
their union were born three children, of whom
Nettie E. and Edward D. are now living. Mrs.
Derby died February i, 1885, and in 1886 Mr.
Derby married Miss Abbie E. Jones, of Du Page,
Will County, Illinois. He is at present engaged
in the practice of law, and is a radical temper-
ance man, who supports by his ballot the Prohi-
bition party.

William R. Derby, whose name heads this
record, was an advocate of Democratic principles
and was often called to office by his fellow-towns-
men. He served as Supervisor, was also Justice
of the Peace for five years, was Township Treas-
urer sixteen years and Township Clerk for sev-
eral years. In these various offices he was ever
true and faithful. All who knew him respected
him for his upright life and straightforward deal-
ings and for a public and private career which
were alike above reproach.



JOHN V. STEVHNS.



191



JOHN VOSBURGH STEVENS, M. D.



(TORN V. STEVENS is a native of New York,
I born at Lysander, Ouondaga County, Novem-
G) ber 23, 1851, the son of George B. and Sarah
(Kellogg) Stevens. His paternal grandfather
was of English descent, and came to this country
before the Revolutionary War, his maternal
grandfather being also of an old family and of
Holland-Dutch extraction.

When he was very young his parents removed
to Cook County, Illinois, where they remained
about four years. The health of the mother
becoming precarious, the family returned to New
York, to Oswego County, where she died in 1858,
leaving a daughter seven months old, who grew
to womanhood, and died iu Wisconsin in 1883.

After his mother's dea h, the subject of this
sketch was left largely to the care of his grand-
mother and mother's sister. During his early
boyhood he attended regi ,larly the public school
and also received considerable benefit from study
at home. Later he ento ^d the academy at Mex-
ico, New York, an institution of high grade, and
made such good use of Us opportunities that he
succeeded in passing th. regents' examination,
which entitled successful contestants to admission
to any college in the State in 1866. While still
in his teens, young Stevtus found his health giv-
ing away under continued and close application
to study, and on the advice of the family physi-
cian to seek an outdoor life for him, his father
again came to Illinois, in 1866, settling near Bar-
rington, in Cook County, having in the same year
married, this time to his former wife's youngest
sister, Frances Kellogg.



Here for four years the young man remained
with his parents, attending school and pursuing
his studies at home, at the end of which time, or
when about eighteen years of age, he obtained a
teacher's certificate in Lake County, and in the
winter of 1870 taught his first term of school
with success. In February of the following year
he came to Chicago and engaged in bookkeeping,
but soon bought out an interest in a grocery and
crockery store on the North Side, and was begin-
ning to see good business prospects ahead when
the great fire of October, 1871, swept away the
store and all its contents. Without a dollar,
young Stevens returned to Lake County soon
after the fire and again taught school during the
winter term. Soon after the conclusion of his
school he became the agent of the American Ex-
press Company at Barrington, and on January
i, 1873, was transferred to the messenger service
of the company at Green Bay, Wisconsin, in
which service he remained until the following
June, when he resigned to engage in a business
of his own at Green Bay, and in which he con-
tinued with varying fortunes until 1876.

In the latter year he returned to Illinois and
engaged iu teaching in McHenry County. With
the exception of the following year, spent as a
bookkeeper in Chicago, Mr. Stevens continued
in the work of teaching until 1883, most of the
time in the high schools of Libertyville and
Wauconda. He had long cherished the desire to
enter the medical profession, and now, seeing his
way clear, he left his position at Wauconda in the
fall of 1883 and, coming to Chicago, entered Ben-



192



JOHN V. STEVENS.



nett Medical College, where he was a close stu-
dent, and in March, 1885, graduated with much
credit to himself.

His attainments were evidently appreciated, for
upon graduation he was offered a professor's chair
in the college. This he declined, however, pre-
ferring to enter upon the exclusive practice of his
profession, for which a good opportunity offered
in partnership with an old-established physician
in Wisconsin, with whom he remained for two
years. The partnership was then dissolved, and
Dr. Stevens continued an independent practice in
the same location for over six years, during which
time he built up a large practice and became well
and favorably known by the profession through-
out the State. While here he became President
and later the Secretary for two years, of the State
Eclectic Medical Society of Wisconsin, and was
prominent in all its affairs, being Chairman for
three years of their Committee on Medical Legis-
lation.

In 1891 Dr. Stevens returned to Chicago and
was elected to the chair of Diseases of Children
in Bennett Medical College, his alma mater, to
which was added in the following year Clinical
Medicine, both of which positions he still holds,
and in which he has made an excellent record.
In 1891 he was elected Corresponding Secretary
of the National Eclectic Medical Association,
and now serves in that capacity, having been re-
elected annuplly ever since. He was also Secre-
tary of the World's Eclectic Medical Congress,
held in Chicago in June, 1893, i n connection with
the World's Fair. The other eleven members of
the Executive Committee, as well as the general
officers of the congress, ascribe a great part of the
success of the congress to his untiring efforts for
the previous nine months in securing papers and
a very large attendance and making all necessary
arrangements.

The Doctor is also on the medical staff of Ben-
nett Hospital, attending physician at the Willie
Hipp and Bennett Free Dispensaries for children
and the Evanston Emergency Hospital.

Dr. Stevens is a member both of the Wisconsin



and the Illinois State Eclectic Societies, of the
National Eclectic Medical Association, and of the
Wisconsin Pharmaceutical Association. In addi-
tion to his othei duties he edits and publishes
The Annual of Eclectic Medicine and Surgery, a
publication of recognized merit. It is a royal-
octavo book of five hundred pages, published
each year, and containing the meritorious papers
read at the different State societies at their an-
nual sessions.

The Doctor is a member of the Masonic frater-
nity and has taken much interest in the various
degrees, from the Blue Lodge, of which he is a
Past Master, to the Commandery of Knights
Templar, of which he is a member. He is also
an Odd Fellow, a member of the Independent
Order of Foresters and of other fraternal orders,
in all of which he is popular. In his religious
associations Dr. Stevens is a Methodist and an
active worker in the church of which he is a
member at his Evanston home, although his sym-
pathies and his benefactions extend beyond the
boundaries of his own church. In his political
affiliations he is an all-around Republican, as re-
gards national and State affairs, and for good
men only, whatever the party, in the control of
local affairs.

Dr. Stevens was married in 1873 to Miss Gertie
Wood, of Lake County, Illinois, of an excellent
and well-known family there. Mrs. Stevens has
not only proved to be an excellent wife and de-
voted mother, but is known outside the family
circle for her many virtues. They have three
children, a daughter named Edith G., aged six-
teen, and two bright boys, aged six and eight,
and named respectively Clark Jay and Karl I.
Personally, Dr. Stevens is a fine-looking, well-
preserved gentleman, whose genial face is a cor-
rect index to a generous heart and a naturally
refined nature. He easily makes and keeps
friends, and is uniformly regarded as a welcome
addition to any social circle. He has fine literary
tastes, and, so far as his professional duties will
allow, finds pleasant companionship among his
books.



CALVIN T. HOOD.



CALVIN T. HOOD, A. M., M. D.



TODD HOOD, A. M., M. D. The
1 1 remarkable professional career of Dr. Hood
\J illustrates the benefit of good blood and
breeding, supplemented by thorough preparation
and intelligent application. The grandfather of
Dr. Hood, Archie Hood, was a remarkable man
of his time, descended from the early English
settlers of Raleigh, North Carolina, and being
distantly related to the noted Confederate, Gen.
Hood. He was tall and stately, measuring six
feet and four inches in height, without his boots,
and was very intelligent and active. He was
what is often called a " natural bone-setter," and
though he never studied medicine or surgery, was
called upon by people for forty miles around to
set broken bones, which he did with success. He
was straight as an arrow at his death, which oc-
curred in 1872, at the age of seventy-two. He
had three wives, the first of whom, Mary Walker,
was the mother of his children. He built the
first gristmill constructed by English-speaking
people in the Mississippi Valley. This was at
Elkhorn Prairie, Washington County, Illinois.

Samuel Gordon, maternal grandfather of Dr.
Hood, was also of English lineage, and opened
the first store and blacksmith shop at Kaskaskia
after it became a modern settlement. He also
built and operated the first mill for extracting oil
from castor beans, one of the principal early pro-
ducts of that region. He stood six feet seven
inches, and was a famous Indian fighter, winning
many a contest with his red neighbors in the early
days of Kaskaskia, and participating, as well, in
the Blackhawk War. When the bell brought out
by the French to Kaskaskia blew down and was
cracked in a storm, he bargained to repair it, in
consideration of the gift of a clock made in Paris
in 1672 and brought to Illinois the next year.
The case was destroyed in a subsequent fire, but



the works are still preserved by Mr. Gordon's
daughter, the mother of Dr. Hood.

Archie Hood had eight children, seven of whom
grew up and are still living, being residents of
Illinois. James, the third child, married Nellie
A., daughter of Samuel Gordon, and settled at
Sparta, Illinois, where he engaged many years in
mercantile business, and where he still resides,
being in the sixty-fourth year of his age, his
business being continued by his son, one of the
most active and" enterprising citizens of that re-
gion. Rev. John Hood, pastor of the First Pres-
byterian Church of Galesburg, is another of the
sons of Archie Hood. He is a member of the
Board of Trustees of Knox College, of which
body he has been President.

Mrs. Nellie A. Hood is a graduate of Oberlin
College, Ohio, a woman of cultivated tastes and
intellectual attainments, and her influence in form-
ing the character and directing the studies of her
sons (only one of whom displayed any taste for
business, the others being in professional life) has
been powerful and lasting.

The subject of this biography is the eldest of a
family comprising four sons and a daughter. He
was born at Sparta, Randolph County, this State,
on the nation's eighty-sixth birthday anniversary,
July 4, 1862. At a very early age he began as-
sisting in his father's store, in the intervals be-
tween school days. He graduated from the local
high school, and before the age of sixteen began
the study of medical science, which he continued
for five years, under the tutelage of Dr. David S.
Booth, a widely-known physician of Sparta. He
attended Princeton (New Jersey) College and the
University of Michigan, where he was Clinical
Assistant. After teaching school a year, during
which time he continued his medical studies, he
came to Chicago, March 17, 1884, and entered



194



R. H. CHAMBERUN.



the spring term of the College of Physicians and
Surgeons. In February of the following year he
took his degree from this institution and at once
began practice. In September of the same year
he entered the Chicago Homoeopathic College,
from which he was graduated in February, 1886.
Ever since that time he has enjoyed a steadily
growing practice. He occupies an office in the
Marshall Field Building, where he is found fore-
noons, making a specialty of mental and nervous
diseases, in the treatment of which hs has
achieved a remarkable success. He is constantly
driven with the applications of patients in the
vicinity of his home office on West Adams Street.

In 1887, only a year after completing his medi-
cal courses, he was elected Professor of Physi-
ology and Pathology of the American Dental
College, in which he continued to lecture five
years. In 1889 he began lecturing on Electro-
Therapeutics in the Chicago Homoeopathic Col-
lege, and a year later was made Associate Pro-
fessor of Mental and Nervous Diseases in the
same institution, and has fulfilled the duties of
that chair ever since. He is also Assistant Busi-
ness Manager of this institution, and has had
entire charge of the buildings and appurtenances
for the last four years.

Dr. Hood is a man of wonderful vitality and
remarkably strong physique. If he were not, he
certainly could not perform one-half the work
which he has been performing for many years. For
a man of his comparative youth he is carrying
large responsibilities, with credit to himself and



the institutions with which he is identified. He
is a member of the Illinois Homoeopathic Society,
the Chicago Academy of Physicians and Sur-
geons and the American Institute of Homcepathy.
He is a member of the official board of the West-
ern Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, and,
while not in any sense a politician, adheres from
principle to the Republican party in matters of
public policy.

On the ist of September, 1886, Dr. Hood mar-
ried Miss Ethel May Barker, a native of Nunda,
New York, and a daughter of O. W. and Mary
(Swain) Barker, of old and long-lived American
families. Mrs. Hood's parents reside on a farm
near Nunda, where she was reared. Having fit-
ted herself by a course of study, she became one
of the first trained nurses employed at the Pres-
byterian Hospital in Chicago, where she first met
the Doctor. They have two daughters, namely:
Grace Gordon, born on the anniversary of her
father's birth, in 1887, and Ethel May, born
March 5, 1890.

Those who meet Dr. Hood, either socially or
professionally, are at once impressed with his
manly bearing, his kindly courtesy and his cul-
tured intellect. In the midst of his multifarious
duties he always has time to pass a pleasant word



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 29 of 111)