Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 3 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 3 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


parish school of Saint Peter's Evangelical Luth-
eran Church in this city, and at the age of eigh-
teen years began learning the cooper's trade,
serving his time as apprentice with Mr. Barr,
since the completion of which he has worked at



his trade as a journeyman. He has been indus-
trious and economical, painstaking and temper-
ate, and through judiciously investing his earn-
ings he has accumulated a competence. In 1886
he bought the property at No. 336 North Paulina
Street, where he now resides, whose value has
greatly increased.

He was married September 16, 1863, to Louise
Goetzke. Mrs. Voelker is a daughter of Gilbert
and Marie Goetzke, and was born at Kesslin,
Germany. Both the parents died in the Father-
land, but all the children emigrated to this coun-
try. The family is scattered, however, only
Mrs. Voelker and another sister, Lena, Mrs.
August Schwerdfeter, of No. 125 Cleveland



C. H. BOESENBERG.



Avenue, residing in Chicago. The others are:
Henrietta, of Colehour, Indiana, who married
Charles Davis, of Dundee, Illinois; Hannah,
wife of John Thons, of that place; Etnelia,
widow of August Daus, of Clintonville, Illinois;
Rica, now Mrs. Volkstroff, of Elgin; Albert,
a resident of Saint Paul; and Mrs. Augusta
Rickow, of Crete, Illinois.

Mr. and Mrs. Voelker have two bright, intelli-
gent daughters, Anna and Ida. The former is
the widow of Adolph Schwank, and, with her



daughter, Mabel, lives in Elgin, Illinois. Ida
is the wife of William Moffatt, a stationary engi-
neer of Chicago. They have one son, named
Thomas.

Mr. Voelker and his family are members of
Saint Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church, and
take a deep interest therein, being active in both
church and Sunday School work. Mr. Voelker
is a Republican, but has never taken any active
interest in politics, beyond exercising his right
of suffrage.



CHARLES H. BOESENBERG.



QHARLES HENRY BOESENBERG, who

b takes a prominent place among the business
men of western Cook County, was born July
9, 1844, at Plum Grove, in the Town of Palatine,
Illinois, and is a son of Henry Ferdinand and
Marie (Heinsoth) Boesenberg. The family has
long been known as one of intelligence and good
business sense. Henry F. Boesenberg was born
September 23, 1819, in Stockendreber, Amt
Neustadt, Ruebenberg, in the kingdom of Han-
over, Germany. He was a son of John Henry
Boesenberg, also a native of Hanover, who died
in 1852, aged eighty years. He owned a mill
and a small farm of ten acres. His mill was run
by wind power, and was patronized by the farm-
ers of the locality. It is still in the possession of
one of his descendants. The original owner
worked and earned the money with which he
bought the property, three years after his mar-
riage. His farm was worked by oxen, as his
tract was too small to support horses. He
married Louisa Magars, a native of the village
of Welwelah, Hanover, who was about the same
age as her husband, and who died at the age of
forty-five years. They had several children, ac-
counted for as following paragraphs relate.



Henry John married Mary Grossman and
succeeded his father in the old mill. His chil-
dren were: Henry, Mary, Alvina, George and
August. The last-named came into possession
of the mill and remained there until his death,
about 1889. A daughter who married a Mr.
Robbe now has the property.

Frederick learned the trade of miller, but
never followed it. He entered the army, where
he remained forty years, gaining the rank of
sergeant. One of his sons emigrated and lives in
Missouri. Rudolph and Karl died while still
young, the latter at the age of twenty-five years.
William married at the age of thirty-five years.
He was a miller and rented a mill until his death.
Henry Ferdinand is the father of the man whose
name heads this sketch. George Adolph, born
April 15, 1822, was baptized May 19, the same
year, by Rev. C. H. Batchen. He married,
January 29, 1851, Katharine Louise Dorothea
Seeman, daughter of Philip and Margarita
(Leseberg) Seeman, who was born January 14,
1831, in the village of Suttorp, Amt Neustadt,
Hanover, Germany. Their children were:
George August, born January 7, 1852, died
August 15, of the same year; Heinrich Herman,



20



C. H. BOESENBERG.



born January 24, 1853, who is mentioned on an-
other page of this work; Marie Frauzista, born
February 19, 1855, died in January, 1880; Mar-
guerita Helena, born October 29, 1856, married
June 18, 1876, Heinrich Stellman, and has the
following children: George, Herman, Stella,
Francis and Lydia; Louise Marie, born January
i, 1859, died May 20, 1881; Frederick, born
February 24, 1861, died within forty-eight hours;
Alvina Louisa, born February 18, 1862, married
Henry Hartmann, a wholesale merchant residing
in Irving Park, Chicago; George Frederick, born
October 18, 1864, resides at No. 505 Lincoln
Street, Chicago; Sophia Wilhelmina, born April
12, 1867, married Henry Damm, and died Au-
gust 14, 1898, leaving three children, Leonard,
Alma and George; Johann Heinrich, born Oc-
tober 2, 1869, married Lydia Luther and has two
children, Earl and Beatrice. Sophia was married
to Frederick Fabbe and remained in her native
land. They had two sons and a daughter.
Louise (Magars) Boesenberg was the daughter
of a farmer. She had a brother, Henry.

Henry F. Boesenberg remained at home until
he was of age, learning the miller's trade. He
left his home in 1841 and journeyed to Chicago,
which was then but a small city. He tilled
much wild land in the vicinity, which was not at
all inviting. He was acquainted with Mr. Fred
Rosemond, who settled in Du Page County, but
otherwise had few acquaintances. He hired out
to a physician as hostler, and remained with him
for some time.

March 23, 1843, he married Katherine Marie
Heimsoth, in Chicago, and at once proceeded to
Plum Grove, in the township of Palatine, where
he bought one hundred and forty acres of much
broken land, of Mr. York, for three hundred dol-
lars. He erected a log house and after two years
sold to Henry Kreiter. He then removed to
Leyden, where he bought eighty acres of gov-
ernment land at a dollar and twenty-five cents per
acre. In 1845116 built a small house, which is
still standing, being the sitting room of the
residence of his son, William. Later he made
additions, one to the north and one to the east.
He bought sixty-nine acres in the northwest



quarter of section 28, twenty-nine acres of the
Government and forty acres of Fred Schmidt.
He also purchased one hundred and twenty acres
where his son George now lives, of Henry Hart-
man. He built a house now occupied by a
tenant, and lived there at the time of his death.
He gave up active farming in 1875. He was a
large, broad-shouldered, smooth-shaven man,
weighing about two hundred pounds, and pos-
sessed of considerable education and great in-
telligence. He was a good judge of agricultural
matters and his opinion was much sought. For
many years he acted as auctioneer among the
farmers for several miles around. He was of a
kindly disposition and ever ready to do a
neighborly act. He was trusted by all his asso-
ciates and frequently honored with public office.
He held most of the township offices and was
assessor for the fifteen consecutive years preced-
ing his death. He was a Republican in politics.
A member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church,
in Addison, Illinois, he found his last resting-
place near it. The date of his death was Novem-
ber 23, 1886.

Katherine Marie (Heimsoth) Boesenberg was
born February 15, 1817, in the village of Haven-
averbergen, Amt Norden, in the Kingdom of
Hanover, Germany. Her father, Karsten Heim-
soth, married Elizabeth Heimsoth, a distant
cousin. He owned a farm in Germany, where
he remained. His children were: Herman, a
farmer and land owner, married Margarita
Mueller; Margaret married Henry Docker and
has two children Mary and Henry; Henry
married Meta Heimsoth, a distant relative, and
emigrated in 1841, locating in Elk Grove, Illi-
nois, where his son, and only living child, Will-
iam, how resides; Karsten came to America in
1842 and located in Leyden, where he bought
eighty acres of land. Twenty years ago Kar-
sten, Junior, removed to St. Louis. He was a
soldier in the Civil War. His wife's name was
Minnie and their children were named Caroline
and Elizabeth. Odelheit, another child of Kar-
sten and Elizabeth Heimsoth, married Herman
Heimsoth, a farmer, and with her children
Henry and Elizabeth remained in Germany.



E. H. HANN.



21



Elizabeth, next in order of this family, also re-
mained in Germany. Maria, the youngest, was
mother of the subject of this sketch. The last
named, in company with her brother Karsten,
left Germany in the ship " Paulina," and after
spending seven weeks on the ocean and three
weeks on the Erie Canal and Great Lakes, arrived
in Chicago in November, 1842. Henry F. and
Marie Boesenberg were the parents of eight chil-
dren. Charles Henry's name heads this article.
Louisa Rosetta, born August 9, 1846, married
Diedrich Muenstermann and lives on section 5,
Leyden Township. Louise Maria, born January
1 6, 1849, died five days later. Louise Maria, the
second by that name, was born August 29, 1851,
and died September 24, 1853. Herman, born
December 3, 1853, married Albertina White and
resides at Rockford, Missouri. He is an attorney.
He has six children living and has lost four.
George Adolph and William will be found repre-
sented elsewhere in this volume.

Charles H. Boesenberg, whose name heads this
notice, remained on the old farm until his mar-
riage in 1871. He was not satisfied with farm
work and resolved to enter into business. Ac-
cordingly he went to Chicago and started a
grocery at No. 266 West Chicago Avenue, where
he continued two years. He followed the same
business at No. 279 West Chicago Avenue six
years. He then sold the establishment to his
uncle, George Boeseuberg, and removed to Man-
heim. He erected a cheese factory which proved



very successful, turning out as high as twenty
cases of cheese per day. This enterprise he con-
tinued eight years. At the same time he opened
a store which he still owns. This he has con-
ducted very successfully and carries a large and
varied stock of general merchandise, including
coal and farm machinery. His various enter-
prises have ever been established on strict busi-
ness principles and have been uniformly success-
ful. His judgment concerning value is of the
best, and his advice is frequently asked and
always carries weight. He still possesses twenty-
three acres of the sixty-three which he received
from his father, the other forty having been sold
to the Franklin Park Land Association. In 1890
Mr. Boesenberg was chosen township assessor
and has served continuously since. He is a
Republican in national affairs, and served as
postmaster during the Harrison administration.
He and his family are members of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church.

Octobers, 1871, was celebrated the marriage
of the subject of this biography and Miss Matilda
Hann, daughter of Ludwig Hann, of whom a
sketch will be found on another page of this
work. Mrs. Boesenberg was born March 8, 1852.
Four children were born of this marriage and all
those living reside at home. Their names with
dates of birth are: Edgar Herman, May 2, 1872;
Ernil George, August 19, 1873, died March 4,
1874; Othelia Margareta, June 4, 1875; and
Adolph George, April 9, 1878.



EDMUND H. HANN.



f~ DMUND HENRY HANN. A detailed ae-
ry count of the parentage and family connec-
I tions of Edmund Henry Hann may be found
in the sketch of his father, Ludwig Dietrich
Hann, which appears elsewhere in this volume.



He was born upon his father's farm, in Leyden
Township, January n, 1870. He attended
school at Oak Park and after receiving a sound,
rudimentary education, entered the employ of
John Seeger, grocer, at No. 244 West Indiana



22



A. C. CALKINS.



Street, in the city of Chicago. After remaining
with Mr. Seeger for four years he entered the
employ of Edward Drissinghaus at the corner of
North Avenue and Leavitt Street; and seven
months later that of Martin Dammauer, at No. 2
Franklin Street, Harlem, where he remained for
three years. He then accepted a situation with
John Gadin, proprietor of a restaurant, but after
four months returned to Mr. Dammauer, by
whom he was again employed for three years,
and for six months by William Wicke, who
bought out the business. August 31, 1895, he
formed a partnership with his brother, Herman
H. , and under the firm name of Hann Brothers
they opened a grocery at No. 193 West Madison
Street. Business prospered with them, and
May 21, 1896, they opened a branch store at
No. 319 Randolph Street. Since January i,



1900, Edmund H. has been proprietor of the lat-
ter establishment, the partnership having been
dissolved at that date.

Mr. Hann was baptized and reared a German
Lutheran; in politics he is independent. He is a
member of General Grant Lodge No. 116, of the
Royal Arcanum, and of the Harlem Singing
Society.

November 9, 1897, he was married to Elvira
Elizabeth, daughter of William and Matilde
Boelke, who was born in Germany, March 26,
1873. A daughter, Clara Amanda, was born to
them August 8, 1898.

Mr. Hann's business prospects are of the best.
To the performance of his daily duties as a mer-
chant and a man he brings an earnest purpose,
tireless energy and unswerving fidelity, that
rarely fail to bring success.



ALLEN C CALKINS.



(31 LLEN CRAIG CALKINS, a pioneer lura-
J 1 berman of Chicago, was born March 27,
/ | 1823, at Waterbury, Vermont, and was a
son of William and Rosalinda (Craig) Calkins.
The father was a teacher at Burlington, Ver-
mont, and afterwards a lawyer at Ticouderoga,
New York, where he settled about middle life.
He was for many years a deacon in the Presby-
terian Church. His father, John Prentice Cal-
kins, was a pioneer settler of Vermont. The
amily carries some of the blood of Elder William
Brewster of the " Mayflower."

Allen C. Calkins' education was obtained in
the common schools of his native town, and in
the academy of Shoreham, Vermont. After
leaving school he was employed as a clerk in a
general store for some years by Wilson & Calkins,
the junior partner being a brother of, Allen.
Subsequently he engaged in business for himself



at Ticonderoga, and later moved to Albany,
where he remained about four years. He then
took charge of a lumber business at Lockhaven,
Pennsylvania, which he was obliged to give up
on account of climatic influences at the end of
three years.

In 1855 he came to Chicago and entered the
employ of Holt & Mason, lumber dealers, which
firm was succeeded by that of Holt & Calkins, of
which Allen C. Calkins was junior partner.
This was succeeded by the firm of Calkins &
Stone, which later became Calkins & Fisher, and
was located on Archer Avenue. In 1873 Mr.
Calkins retired from the lumber trade.

For several years he was engaged in the man-
ufacture of brick at Galesburg, Illinois. He,
with Judge Tuthill, Jesse Hildreth, George N.
Harlow and others, organized the Consumers'
Gas Company of Chicago, of which he was sec-



H. D. KOLZE.



retary. Mr. Calkins was a member of the Board
of Education under Mayor Heath, and also served
as alderman of the old Fourth Ward in the ear-
lier City Councils.

On the 3oth day of August, 1847, he was mar-
ried to Miss Sophia Jane Larrabee, at Ticonde-
roga, by Rev. Henry N. Davis. Miss Larra-
bee is the daughter of Lucius Callender and
Calista W. (Bugbee) Larrabee. Mr. Larrabee
was a teacher and surveyor, and was for a period
of seven years captain of a steamboat on Lake
George, one of the most beautiful sheets of water
in the world. The Larrabees, for generations,
had been citizens of Connecticut and Vermont.
For genealogy see biography of Charles R. Lar-
rabee in this volume.

Sophia J. Larrabee was born on the first day
of the year 1827. She and her husband were the
parents of seven children, one of whom died in
infancy, and six grew to adult age. Charles R.,
one of these, is a real estate dealer of Chicago.
Mary J. resides in Racine, Wisconsin. Rosalind
C. passed away soon after attaining her majorhy.
Lucius A. is a member of the Chicago Board of
Trade. William L. is a partner in a wholesale
grocery house at Freeport, Illinois. Edward C.
is connected with Armour & Company in New
York.



Mr. Calkins was one of the first Chicago men
to build a summer home at Lake Geneva. His
death occurred there in the early hours of No-
vember 19, 1899. He superintended some work
about his summer residence, preparatory to clos-
ing it for the winter, and in so doing contracted
a cold which developed into pneumonia, which
proved fatal.

He was a life-long Republican, and stood high
in the councils of his party. His service in the
offices he held was straightforward, prompt and
unsullied by any mercenary act. Both he and
his wife were members of the Protestant Episco-
pal Church. The latter has sustained this
relationship ever since she was twelve years old.
He joined in 1852, and for many years past had
been a member of the Standing Committee of the
Diocese of Illinois. For a period of forty years
or more he was a delegate to the annual conven-
tions of the church. He was one of the most
active and efficient members of Trinity Church
of Chicago, to which he was very strongly at-
tached.

He was a man of strongly marked but pleasing
physiognomy, of attractive and entertaining per-
sonality; a man full of force and energy; liberal
and kind, and devoted to his friends and family.
His chief pleasure was in making others happy.



HENRY D. KOLZE.



HENRY DIEDERICK KOLZE belongs to
that class of worthy German emigrants
who have been able, in this land of great
opportunities, to win wealth and comfort for them-
selves and great advantages for their children.
He was born July 7, 1839, in the village of Nien-
hagen, Amt-Neustadt, Ruebenberg, Kingdom of
Hanover, Germany, a son of Frederick and Louisa
(Koch) Kolze. The former was a son of Kurth



Henry Kolze and Anna Marie Luehrs. This
couple were also grandparents of William and
Frederick Kolze and Mrs. Louisa Wolff, of whom
mention is made elsewhere in this work.

They are parents of three sons, Frederick,
John Henry and Diederick Henry. A history of
the first will be found below. The second is men-
tioned in the history of Henry Kolze. Diederick
Henry emigrated to America in 1846, this being



H. D. KOLZE.



the first of the family to leave his native land.
He located in Chicago, where he followed the
trade of a cabinet maker. He married Margaret
Fee and had five daughters and one son. The
latter is a painter and resides at No. 1386 Har-
vard Street, Chicago.

Frederick Kolze was born in the village of
Nienhagen, November 22, 1802, and passed away
in the town of Leyden, Cook County, Illinois,
November 28, -1878. He is buried at Saint John's
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Du Page County,
Illinois, where his faithful wife rests beside him.
He was a small farmer in his native land, own-
ing about ten acres. His wife, Louisa Koch, born
June 15, 1807, in the village of Stocken, Hanover,
and died January 22, 1881, was the daughter of
an innkeeper. She had one sister, Katharina
Dorothea, who married Diedrick Hurfer and re-
mained in German}', where she died while still a
young woman.

Frederick Kolze resolved to leave the Father-
land and seek his fortune in America, where so
many of his countrymen had already found wel-
come and homes. With his wife and seven children
he sailed June 10, 1849, on the ship "Seneca,"
and after a long ocean voyage landed in New
York. He arrived in Chicago, his objective point,
October 15 of the same year. He proceeded at
once to Leyden Township, where he rented several
farms in succession, first of Mr. Draper, then of
Robert Duulop, and then of Fred Krunwilde. In
1853 he bought eighty acres of Christoph Meyer,
the west half of the southeast quarter of section
7, which was mostly broken up. The land was
originally entered by M. L. Dunlop, who sold his
title to Meyer. The first house built on the land
is still standing, being used as a storehouse.

On this farm Frederick Kolze made his home
until the time of his death. He was a prominent
member of Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran
Church and helped build the edifice near which
he is buried. He joined the Republican party
when it was first organized and continued to sup-
port its policy. The family of Frederick and
Louisa Kolze is accounted for in the subsequent
lines of this paragraph. Marie, born November
28, 1828, married Elijah Peacock and was the



mother of Charles D. Peacock , the well known jew-
eler of Chicago. Katherine Dorothea, born July
24, 1831, married Diedrick Plesse April i, 1855.
The latter was born May 8, 1810, in the village of
Markendorf, Hanover, Germany, came to America
in 1849 and died in Leyden, Illinois, July 7, 1893.
Their only child is Emma, born October 30, 1856,
who married Simon Cronemeier, April 10, 1892;
Arthur and William Cronemeier, born respectively
October 24, 1893, and August 7, 1896, are her
children. Annie, the third child of Frederick
Kolze, was born in 1833, married Lawrence Bo-
walskee and lives in Golden City, Colorado.
Their children are: Lawrence, Elizabeth, Max and
Henry. Frederick, the fourth child, is represented
on another page of this work. Henry is the sub-
ject of this notice. Louisa married Professor Gus-
tav Earhorn, a music teacher at No. 3716 Wabash
Avenue, Chicago. Dora, born in 1844, died at
the early age of fifteen years.

Henry Diederick Kolze, of whom this sketch is
written, always remained with his father. He
carried on farm work as a boy and later took
most of the responsibility, though he was not
nominally placed in control until he reached the
age of twenty-seven years. He has made farming
his business and has made his farm among the
most productive in his locality. He erected his
present convenient and comfortable residence
in 1894.

December i, 1865, Mr. Kolze married Mary
Biermann, who was born September 23, 1845, in
Germany. She died August 18, 1869, leaving
two children, Bertha Caroline, born February
it, 1867, and George Diederick, born December
31, 1868. The daughter married Ernest Will
and lives at Richland, Illinois. The son married
Freda Geier and resides in Addison, Illinois, and
has two children, Ralph and Lawrence. Mr.
Kolze was married a second time July 22, 1870,
to Sophia Henrietta Frank, daughter of Joachim
and Fredericka (Hoppe) Frank, who was born
June 30, 1847, in Dielsdorf, Prussia. Six chil-
dren were born of this union. Anna Marie, born
November 16, 1871, married Edwin J. Walters,
lives at No. 777 Woodbine Avenue, Oak Park,
and has two children, Clarence and Edwin. Henry



F. W. MORRISON.



Charles, born February 12, 1874, lives with his
parents. Those remaining of this family are:
Ida, born January 21, 1877; Frederick, December
31, 1878, died January 2, 1879; Hulda Marie and
Arthur Herman, twins, September 19, 1882.
The subject of this sketch is connected with



Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, as
are the members of his family. He is a Republi-
can in politics, but not an office seeker, preferring
the peace of private life to the turmoil of politics.
He takes a great interest in the common schools
and was four years a school trustee.



FREDERICK W. MORRISON.



f~ REDBRICK WILLIAM MORRISON, a na-
rrf tive of Chicago, and a life-long resident of
| * Cook County, was born in Chestnut Street,
in the vicinity of the old Ogden School, June 13,
1866. His parents were of good American stock
and were named James Winthrop and Elizabeth
(Lyman) Morrison. James W. Morrison was
born in East Owego, New York, and at the early
age of sixteen years was called upon to assist in
the care and support of his widowed mother and
eight small brothers and sisters. He was faith-
ful to this trust, and guarded the interest "of those
dependent upon him with a wisdom worthy of a
much older man. He subsequently removed to
Indiana and later to Chicago.

During three years he was a clerk in the office
of the Michigan Central Railway, and then
secured a position in the postoffice department,
where he was employed over twenty years. This
long term of service, where honesty and regu-
larity were essential, is a sufficient testimonial
of his trustworthiness and integrity. In 1882
he was made an Odd Fellow in Fort Dearborn
Lodge of Chicago, and soon became an influ-



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 3 of 111)