John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 30 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 30 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

with any one who may have occasion to call upon
him, and his presence in the community is a
blessing, for his personality, as well as his pro-
fessional skill, carries an elevating and restorative


merly Superintendent of the Illinois Division
of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Rail-
road, was born in Mendham, Morris County, New

Jersey, in 1826. When quite young, he was taken
by his parents to Milton, Pennsylvania, where
they remained about two years. They then re-
moved to Pottsville, in the same State, and from



there to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where they stayed
about three years. After that the family moved
to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where Rhuel attended
the common school for four years. Later he was
at a boarding-school at Lititz, Pennsylvania, in
which town he also attended school under the
tuition of Mr. J. Beck for about eighteen months.
The family then moving to Philadelphia, he re-
mained there about six years, and at the age of
sixteen was apprenticed to a Mr. Brewer in the
chair-making business. When, however, he had
been for two years with Mr. Brewer, his parents
moved to New York City, and he went with them.
He there went under the instructions of William
Walling and finished his trade.

After learning this business, Mr. Chamberlin
went to Troy, New York, and worked for W. L.
Adams, but being in ill health while there he
returned to New York City. After his recu-
peration he went back to Troy, and there, mak-
ing a contract with Burge & Bros. , who were the
proprietors of a chair factory on Adams Street,
he remained until their factory was burned down,
about two years later. After this he went to
New York City and engaged in the chair busi-

ness. Being unfortunate in this enterprise he
failed, but paid all his debts in full, owing no one
at the time of shutting down his factory. He
then accepted an offer made by Burge & Bros. ,
who had rebuilt their factory at Troy. From there
he again went to New York City, and secured a
position on the Third Avenue City Railway as
conductor when it first opened. He stayed on
that road three years, and later was on the Dela-
ware Division of the New York & Erie Railroad
as head brakeman, under Supt. Hugh Riddle.
Here he remained one year, and then for about
four years was conductor on an extra freight train.
After this, in the year 1873, he was made pas-
senger conductor on the New York & Oswego
Midland Railroad, remaining there until June,
1874. In November he went to Chicago to take
a position as passenger conductor on the Chi-
cago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad. On Jan-
uary i, 1878, he was appointed Superintendent
of the Illinois Division of the Chicago, Rock Island
& Pacific Railroad.

Mr. Chamberlin is a member of Port Jervis
Lodge No. 328, Delta Chapter No. 191, and Del-
aware Commandery No. 44, K. T., of Port Jervis.


^ the Polish Church at Lemont, was born on
p\ the 25th day of March, 1836, in the city
of Warsaw, Poland. His father was Andreas
and his mother Josepha (Majewska) Kozlowski,
natives of the same city. Andreas Kozlowski
was a captain in the French army, and served un-
der Napoleon I. in Spain, in 1806, and in the
European War of 1812. He was a valiant sol-
dier, and fought for what he considered the inter-
ests of Poland. He lived to the age of seventy-
six years, dying in 1852. He was married three

times (the second wife being the mother of the
subject of this biography), and was the father of
twenty-one children. Josepha Kozlowski was
the mother of ten children, seven sons and three
daughters, only three of whom are now living,
the subject of this sketch being the only one in

The father of Andreas, Adalbert Kozlowski,
was also a soldier, and served in the Polish army,
having witnessed the coronation of the last king
of Poland and given him his unswerving adhesion.
He was a man of more than ordinary means, a



landed proprietor, and owner of tenement houses
in Warsaw. He lived to be upwards of eighty
years old, and died in 1847.

Candidus Kozlowski is a man of rare education
and attainments, and used his best and most
strenuous efforts for the liberation of his native
land from Russian rule. He was educated in his
native city, and in 1863 became a leader in the
revolutionary movement which resulted in the
complete subjugation of the Polish patriots, and
the execution of a large number of their leaders
including hundreds of the friends and relatives
of Mr. Kozlowski. With a handful of men, num-
bering less than a hundred, he fought his way
through to the Austrian frontier, where he was
warmly received by the populace and Austrian
common soldiers, who applauded his bravery and
assisted his escape toward Italy. He is still un-
der the ban of a Russian death sentence, and dare
not return to the dominions of the Czar.

In the latter part of the year 1863, at Bologna,
Italy, he was ordained a priest of the Roman
Catholic Church. After he took holy orders, he
became a traveler and visited many countries, in
eluding the greater portion of Europe and parts
of Asia and Africa. He came to the United

States in 1872, and established a church at Cin-
cinnati. He purchased a Lutheran Church, which
he converted into a Catholic institution, and chris-
tened it St. Stanislaus. About a year later, he
returned to Europe and revisited many of the
countries in which he had previously traveled. In
1874 he became a permanent resident of America,
and took charge of a parish at La Salle, Illinois,
where he remained seven years. After a visit in
Europe, he was rector of St. Josaphat Church in
Chicago for five years, and has been for the last
five years in his present charge. His parish com-
prises four hundred families, and the school in
connection numbers three hundred and fifty pupils.
Father Kozlowski's liberal education and wide
travels have made him a cosmopolite in ideas, a
practical man in business, a genial gentleman and
an able priest. As a recreation, he gives consid-
erable attention to the study of astronomy, and
is the possessor of a fine telescope, which he pur-
chased at the Paris Exposition, and on which he
was obliged to pay a duty of $42. He is loved
and respected by his people and the entire com-
munity, and is one of the most valuable of the
country's adopted citizens.


IV A ENZO RUSSELL, a farmer residing on sec-
I V I tion 22, Northfield Township, has the honor
I (9 1 of being a native of Cook County, his birth
having occurred in the township which is still his
home, February 17, 1839. He is the only child
of Jacob and Eliza (Rhints) Russell, both of
whom were natives of Sharon, Schoharie County,
New York. His mother was a daughter of Henry
Rhines, a shoemaker and farmer. In 1834 Jacob
and Eliza Russell emigrated to Cook County, Illi-
nois, arriving in Chicago with a capital of $6.

The father first engaged in burning charcoal
about four miles from the city, and in this way
secured enough money to purchase a team, with
which to engage in farming. He settled on sec-
tion 22, Northfield Township, where he still
makes his home, residing with his son Menzo.
He became the possessor of three hundred acres
of good land, and may truly be called a self-made
man. He has borne all the hardships and expe-
riences of frontier life, and is familiar with the
history of Cook County from its earliest days.


He has now passed his eighty-fourth birthday,
but is remarkably active for one of his years, and
still works upon the farm. In early life he was a
Democrat, but since the organization of the Re-
publican party has been one of its supporters.
Mrs. Eliza Russell died January 8, 1892, aged
seventy-five years, three months and six days.

Menzo Russell has always lived upon the farm
which is yet his home, and therefore has a wide
acquaintance throughout this community. No
event of special importance occurred during his
boyhood and youth, which were quietly passed
on his father's farm. Having attained to mature
years, he chose as a companion and helpmate on
life's journey Miss Margaret Russell, the wed-
ding being celebrated July 3, 1859. The lady is
a daughter of David Russell, who was a native
of New York, and lived to be seventy-two years
of age. With his brothers, William and John,
their wives and father and mother, he was laid to
rest in the family burying-ground, two miles
southeast of Shermerville. Mrs. Margaret Rus-
sell's three brothers, Norman, Jacob and John
Russell, promptly responded to their country's
call for troops at the breaking out of the Civil
War,- and valiantly aided in the defense of the

Union. Her grandmother had three brothers in
the Revolutionary War; therefore the Russell
family has been well represented in military af-
fairs when the country was in need of valiant

To our subject and his wife were born eight
children, four sons and four daughters, but the
former are all now deceased. Mary Elizabeth,
born October 17, 1862, is the wife of George
Goebel, a stone and brick mason of Evanston.
Catherine, born June 16, 1864, is the wife of
Joseph Selzer, a farmer of Northfield Township.
L,eona, born December 20, 1866, is the wife of
Joseph Bastien, a tinner of Evanston. Lottie,
born January 13, 1877, is at home. The parents
of this family are both members of the Methodist
Church, and are highly respected people, who
have many warm friends in the community. Mr.
Russell is a stalwart Republican. He cast his
first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, and
has supported each Presidential nominee of the
party since that time. He is a wide-awake and
progressive citizen, and public enterprises calcu-
lated to advance the general welfare never solicit
his aid in vain.


F^ETER CRAWFORD, one of the most deserv-
yr ing pioneers of Cook County, was born in
K> Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1796, and was a
son of Peter and Janet (McNaught) Crawford.
The father was born near Inverary, on I/ochTyne,
Argyleshire, in 1753, and was a boat-builder in
his native land. He died in Delaware County,
New York, in 1848. His wife died in Hamden,
New York, in 1836, at the age of seventy years.

She was a daughter of Malcolm and Catherine
(McKinley) McNaught. Her father was a ship-
carpenter, and came to America at the age of nine-
ty years. His death occured in Delaware County,
New York, in 1825, at the age of ninety-five.
His children were: Gilbert, a Baptist minister of
Delaware County, New York; John; Neil, who
died in Scotland; Mrs. Janet Crawford; Cather-
ine and Mary, who died in Scotland; and Archi-


bald. The mother of this family passed away in
Scotland in 1818, at the age of eighty-four.

To Peter and Janet Crawford were born eight
children: Malcolm, who died in infancy; Donald,
who died in Hamden, New York, in 1868, at the
age of eighty-two; John, who died in Scotland in
1817, at the age of twenty-nine; Gilbert, a Pres-
byterian minister, who for a number of years was
pastor of a church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but
died in Leroy, Genesee County, New York, in
1848, at the age of fifty-six; Catherine, who was
born in 1796, and died at the age of seventy-five
years; Peter, of this sketch; Sarah, who became
the wife of Malcolm McFarland, and died in Ham-
den in 1853, at the age of fifty-two; and Janet, who
died in Hamden in 1872, at the age of sixty-

Peter Crawford, whose name heads this notice,
came to America in 1820, on a sailing-vessel, lo-
cating first in Delaware County, New York, with
his parents. In Buffalo, New York, he wedded
Juliet Sophronia Hubbard, a native of Westmin-
ster, Windham County, Vermont, born October
19, 1807. She was a daughter of Salmon and
Caroline (Pratt) Hubbard. Mrs. Crawford's fa-
ther was a son of Daniel Hubbard, who died in
Massachusetts in 1813, at the age of eighty years.
Salmon Hubbard was born in Sunderland, Hamp-
shire County, Massachusetts, in 1774, and was
the eldest in a family of five children, the others
being Spencer, Lemuel, Polly and Electa. Salmon
Hubbard died in Canadice, Livingston County,
New York, about 1859. His children were: Hi-
ram, who was proprietor of a livery and stage line
and died in Canandaigua, New York, in 1848, at
the age of forty-nine years; Daniel, who died, in
1849, at the age of forty-eight; Elijah H., who was
born in Guilford, Vermont, and died in New York
in 1830, at the age of twenty-seven; Salmon, who
was born in Westminister, Vermont, in 1805, and
died in 1835; Juliet Sophronia, wife of Peter
Crawford; Almira, who was born in Greenwich,
New York, in 1810, became the wife of John
Purcell, and died in Canadice, New York, in 1884;
and Oman, who was born in Williamson, Ontar-
io County, New York, in 1813, and died in 1834.
Mrs. Caroline (Pratt) Hubbard was born

Decembers, 1774, and died in 1816, in Wind-
ham County, Vermont. She was a daughter of
Samuel and Mary (Clark) Pratt. One of her
brothers, Samuel Pratt, located at Buffalo, New
York, in 1804, driving thither from Vermont in
the first carriage that ever entered that place.
He became a leading merchant of Buffalo, and
his descendants are prominent hardware and iron
dealers in that city. The Pratt family is supposed
to have been established in America by ancestors
who came from the north of Ireland. The Hub-
bards are probably of English origin. Both were
well-to-do families in Vermont before moving to
New York.

In 1844, Mr. and Mrs. Crawford left their New
York home and came to the young and growing
city of Chicago. In their family were four chil-
dren, who reached mature years. Gilbert, who is
now engaged in the real-estate business in Chica-
go; John, who was prominently connected with
the same business for some years, but is now de-
ceased; Sophronia A., widow of A. B. Kellogg and
a resident of Denver, Colorado; and Hiram P.,
whose sketch is given on another page of this

On coming to Chicago, in the year 1844, Peter
Crawford began dealing in lumber. Twelve years
later he removed to Cicero Township, where, in
1848, he had purchased a tract of land of one
hundred and sixty acres, paying for the same $15
per acre. This tract is now within the city lim-
its. Mr. Crawford lived upon that farm until his
death, which occurred in 1876, at the age of
eighty-two years. He had been in good health
until a few days before his death, which was the
result of a severe cold, contracted while attending
an election. He had voted at every Presidential
election from 1836, at which time he supported
William Henry Harrison. He was always an
advocate of a protective tariff, and his last vote was
cast for R. B. Hayes. His wife, who survived
him about ten years, died in 1886, at the ripe old
age of eighty years. Peter Crawford possessed a
large fund of general information, and a remark-
able memory, which, combined with good judg-
ment and natural business ability, fitted him fora
successful and honorable business career.




3OHN SOLLITT, now in his eighty-first year,
was in his younger days one of the largest
contractors and builders of Chicago. He was
born November 19, 1813, in Stillington, County
of York, in what is one of the most beautiful sec-
tions of England. His ancestors were Hugue-
nots, who emigrated from France to England some
two hundred years ago. His paternal grandfather
was John Sollitt, and his maternal John Cass.
The former was a stone-mason, and the latter a
carpenter. The father of our subject, John Sol-
litt, was also a stone-mason and a sculptor. All
were prominent in their professions and lived and
died in England.

At the age of six years the subject of this
sketch entered the common schools of Stillington,
and was graduated therefrom in his twelfth year,
after which he began learning the carpenter's
trade with his grandfather. He remained in his
employ until his twenty-first year, when, in May,
1834, with his wife and child, he went to Canada.
He worked at his trade in Hamilton and Toronto
for a year or two, when a friend, residing in Mad-
ison, Wisconsin, wrote to him glowing accounts
of that country, and he decided to remove to that
place. He started by way of the Lakes for Milwau-
kee, but, experiencing difficulty in reaching that
point, on account of a storm raging on Lake Mich-
igan, he landed in Chicago. This was on the 6th
of June, 1838, and he had but $5 in his pocket.
Chicago, at that time, contained a population of
about four thousand.

Business was very dull in this city then, and he
had difficulty in obtaining employment; but he
finally made an arrangement with Azel Peck, a
prominent contractor and builder, in whose em-
ploy he remained for three years. He then en-
tered the service of Peter Lewis Updyke, with

whom he continued for five years. On the expi-
ration of that period he entered into partnership
with Messrs. Peck and Updyke, and their 's be-
came the leading firm of the kind in Chicago.
Mr. Peck died in 1848, and the partnership was
continued between Mr. Sollitt and Mr. Updyke
until the latter's death, in 1850. In the fall
of 1849 they erected the old Tremont House,
which was destroyed in the great fire of 1871.
Mr. Sollitt then carried on building operations
alone, with great success. He erected several of
the finest buildings in Chicago, including the old
courthouse, built in 1852-53, and having acquired
a competency through thrift and enterprise, he
retired from business, and has since given his time
to his private interests and the enjoyment of a
well-earned rest. Soon after his retirement from
building operations, he purchased large tracts of
land in Kankakee and Will Counties, forty-three
miles from Chicago, and there moved his family,
hoping the country air would prove beneficial to
his wife's health. This hope, however, was disap-
pointed, for she died in 1871. During this period
Mr. Sollitt spent a portion of his time in Chicago
and the remainder with his family. The town of
Sollitt, in Will County, was named in his honor,
and he gave to the Chicago & Eastern Illinois
Railroad Company $1,000, with which to build a
new depot at that place. After the death of Mrs.
Sollitt he brought his family back to Chicago,
and now resides in his handsome home at No. 515
Jackson Boulevard.

When scarcely twenty years old Mr. Sollitt was
joined in wedlock with Mary Smith, daughter of
Thomas Smith. Her father, a farmer by occupa-
tion, resided in Tollerton, Yorkshire, England.
Her uncle, Thomas Pollard, carried on a large and
popular hotel, called the "Angel Inn," situated



near Tollerton, on the main stage road between
London and Edinburgh. Mrs. Sollitt died of
cholera in Chicago, in 1850, and was buried in
Graceland Cemetery. Eight children were born
of their union. Elizabeth, now a resident of En-
glewood, has been twice married. Her first hus-
band was Alfred Bromfield, and her present hus-
band is William Ivers. By each marriage she
has had three children. Mary died in childhood.
Hannah, deceased, was the wife of Henry Curtis.
Jane, deceased, was the wife of Thomas Wallin.
James J. lives in Sollitt. Oliver died when one
year old. John resides in Oklahoma; and Fanny
died in Chicago in 1865. In 1854 Mr. Sollitt was
united in marriage with Anna Rowntree, who was
one of a family of seven children. She was born
in or near Richmond, Yorkshire, England, and
came to America with her parents, who located in
Rochester, Racine County, Wisconsin. On their
deaths she went to live with her brother Chris-
topher, who resided near that city, and at
his home was married. After a happy wed-
ded life of seventeen years, which was all passed
in Chicago, with the exception o r one year
in Sollitt, she died of consumption, and was laid
to rest in Graceland. She had two children.
Charles, who resides in Sollitt, where he follows
farming, is married and has two children, Leslie
and John. The daughter, Blanche, is the wife of
Nathaniel Board, a solicitor for the Chicago &

North- Western Railroad, residing in Oak Park.
In 1874 Mr. Sollitt was married in the town of
Waterford, Wisconsin, to Anna Blackburn, and
they have a son, Walter, a bright and promising
youth of seventeen years, who is now preparing
for college in a Chicago academy.

Mr. Sollitt cares little for society, preferring to
give his time and attention to his family. He was
reared in the Episcopal Church, which he at-
tended for a time on first coming to Chicago.
Later, he joined Robert Collyer's Unitarian
Church, and occupied a pew there for a number
of years. He erected the first Unitarian Church
built in Chicago, its location being on Washing-
ington Street, between Clark and Dearborn. Po-
litically, Mr. Sollitt is a conservative Democrat,
and has, with few exceptions, voted that ticket.
He is an advocate of free trade, the advantages
of which have been made evident to him since
leaving England. While never aspiring to office
or taking an active part in politics, he ran for
Alderman in 1852 and County Clerk in 1854. He
has always been a reader of the Chicago Tribune,
and is a man well informed on all questions of the
day. He was one of Chicago's earliest settlers,
and is a model of a healthy mind in a healthy
body, of business industry and integrity, and of
civic virtue. His memory of events relative to
the past history of Chicago is perfect, and a rec-
ord of them would make a volume.


gARNARD THALMANN, who carries on
agricultural pursuits on section 30, New
Trier Township, was born in Prussia on
the 23d of March, 1836, and is a son of Gerhard
Thalmann, who was born in the same country,
July 24, 1801, made farming his life work, and
died on the 1 6th of July, 1867. His wife bore

the maiden name of Kerdrad Kohle, and was a
daughter of Adolph Kohle, a native of Prussia,
and a stone-cutter by trade. She was born in
that country in 1 804, and by her marriage had a
family of four sons and two daughters, of whom
three sons are living, namely: Barnard of this
sketch; Henry, Postmaster of Gross Point; and



Joseph, a farmer of that community. The parents
came to America in 1847, landing in New York
on the I4th of April, after thirty days spent upon
the bosom of the Atlantic. After visiting rela-
tives in Boston for three weeks they came to
Cook County, and Mr. Thalmann purchased
eighty acres of land on section 30, New Trier
Township. He afterwards added forty-four acres
on section 33, and there made his home until
called to his final rest.

Barnard Thalmann spent the first eleven years
of his life in his native land, and then accompa-
nied his parents on their emigration to America.
In his father's home his childhood days were
passed, and during his youth he became familiar
with farm work in all its departments. On the
26th of September, 1865, he was united in mar-
riage with Mary Feldmann, who was born in
Gross Point, June 4, 1848, and is a daughter of Jo-
seph Feldmann, whose birth occurred in Prussia
on the 4th of August, 1817. He came to America
with his parents in August, 1833. His father
died in Albany, New York, while en route for
Chicago, and the other members of the family
continued their westward journey. For two years
they lived in Chicago, and then removed to New
Trier Township. Here Mr. Feldmann still re-
sides, making his home with his daughter, Mrs.
Thalmann. His other children are: Christina,
wife of Anton May, a contractor and builder of
Wilmette; Frank, an engineer on the Ft. Wayne

Railroad, residing in Chicago. Mrs. Mathias
Pauly, Mrs. Nick Fellens and Mrs. Peter Kunz,
all of Chicago; and Mrs. Nick Surges, of Lcm-
bard, Du Page County, Illinois.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Thalmann have been born
twelve children, of whom nine are living, five
sons and four daughters: John G., who was born
April 5, 1867, and is a carpenter residing in New
Trier; Joseph, born February 24, 1871, who fol-
lows farming; Barnard, born May 25, 1873, a car-
penter; Elizabeth, born August n, 1875; Kate,
September 23, 1877; Frank, December 7, 1880;
Anton, June 27, 1883; Mary, March 28, 1885;
and Anna, July 25, 1890. Elizabeth attended
St. Joseph's College, of Milwaukee, for one year,
and all have received good common-school ad-
vantages. The parents and their family are
members of St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Gross

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 30 of 111)