Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 31 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 31 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Point.

Mr. Thalmann cast his first Presidential vote for
Stephen A. Douglas, and has since been a sup-
porter of the Democratic party and its principles.
He was twice elected Overseer of Roads, and was
School Director for several years. He is also a
member of St. Joseph's Library and Sick Benefit
Association. His farm, located on section 30,
New Trier Township, is under a high state of
cultivation and well improved with all modern
accessories, and the owner is regarded as one of
the leading agriculturists of the community.



ADAM MELZER.



a DAM MEIyZER, a self-made man and enter-
prising citizen, now residing in the town of
Northfield, Cook County, is of German birth.
He was born in the province of Bavaria, Ger-
many, March 29, 1844, and is a son of John C.
and Catherine (Horn) Melzer. His parents were



also natives of Germany, and were there married
in 1835. The father was born on the 2oth of
April, 1811, and at this writing, in the summer
of 1894, makes his home with his son Adam, en-
joying remarkably good health for one who has
attained the very advanced age of eighty-three



202



N. J. BROWN.



years. His wife passed away in November, 1893,
in the seventy-eighth year of her age. The year
1853 witnessed their emigration to America, and
after a long and tempestuous voyage of seventy-
nine days they reached New York. Their fam-
ily numbered ten children, eight of whom are yet
living. The eldest daughter died in New York
City soon after the family came to America. John,
a carpenter and farmer, now resides in Niles
Township; Jacob is a cabinet-maker and under-
taker of Northfield; Adam is next in order of
birth; Margaret, who became the wife of John
Ward, of Maine Township, died May 19, 1888; Jo-
hanna is the wife of Nicholas Haupt, a farmer of
Maine Township; Eva, twin sister of Johanna,
and the widow of Peter Soergel, now lives in Chi-
cago; Nicholas is a cabinet-maker and farmer of
Northfield; Katie makes her home with her
brothers and sisters; and William carries on
agricultural pursuits in Massena, Cass County,
Iowa. After landing in New York the family at
once resumed their westward journey and came
by way of Buffalo and Detroit to Chicago. They
at once took up their residence in Maine Town-
ship, but after three years removed to Northfield
Township, where different members of the family
now reside.

No event of special importance occurred during
the childhood and youth of Adam Melzer. The
first nine j^ears of his life were spent in his native
land, and he then came with his father and
mother to the New World. Since that time he



has resided in Cook County, and is therefore
numbered among its early settlers. In the fall
of 1866, as a companion and helpmate on life's
journey, he chose Miss Louisa Wildhage, daugh-
ter of William Wildhage, a native of Hessen-
Schaumberg, Germany. The lady was born in
the same locality in February, 1846. To Mr.
and Mrs. Melzer have been born five children, a
son and four daughters, who in order of birth are
as follows: William, born March 2, 1868; Mag-
gie, August 15, 1872; Katie, June 17, 1875;
Lulu, May 18, 1881; and Josie, August 5, 1884.

Mr. and Mrs. Melzer have spent their entire
wedded life in their pleasant country home, which
is the abode of hospitality and good cheer. Mr.
Melzer, with foresight and sagacity, saw that the
best investment a farmer could make to improve
his land in this locality would be to drain it, so
he has spent over $1,000 in tiling his eighty-acre
tract. He is now receiving a rental of $8 per
acre for his farm, almost double what he could
have obtained previous to draining it. It is now
a valuable and desirable property.

Socially, Mr. Melzer is a member of the Ma-
sonic fraternity, belonging to Vesuvius Lodge
No. 81, A. F. & A. M., of East Wheeling. Until
quite recently he was a Democrat in his political
views, but is now independent. Whatever suc-
cess he has achieved in life is due to his own
efforts. He started out for himself empty-handed,
and the property which he has acquired is the
just reward of his labors.



NATHANIEL J. BROWN.



U\ATHANIEL J. BROWN is one of the noted idence on ihe frontier, living in Michigan. He
\j pioneers of Illinois, for many years having was bom in Windsor, Vermont, in 1812, and at



m m f J j o

1/9 been prominently identified with the busi-
ness interests and leading enterprises of Cook
County. During his boyhood he took up his res-



the age of three was taken by his parents to New
York, living in the neighborhood of Rochester
andLockport until 1826, when, with the family, he



N. J. BROWN.



203



emigrated to Ann Arbor, Michigan. The public
schools of the Empire State afforded him the
greater part of his educational privileges. Early
in life he embarked in small business ventures,
and later became associated with his brother, who
was the owner of flouring-mills at Ann Arbor.
His brother also established a stage line, and he
became one of its agents. While thus engaged
he became familiar with a largeamount of territory,
and when a favorable opening presented itself, he
made good investments in real estate, purchasing
land in Kent, Ionia and Clinton Counties, which
afterward yielded him rich returns. His land in
Kent County was covered with pine timber, and,
with his usual sagacity, Mr. Brown saw that it
would one day become very valuable. He resolved
to place it on the market in Chicago, and to this
end chartered the schooner "White Pigeon."

Mr. Brown built a mill upon his land, and as
soon as possible in the spring of 1835, a raft of
lumber, which contained six schooner loads, was
launched at what is now Granville. With a big
lumberman from Maine to assist him, Mr. Brown
cut the craft loose from its moorings. No such
attempt as this to carry lumber down the stream
had been made before, or since, but the journey
was safely accomplished. Arriving in Chicago,
he found that objections were made by the local
dealers to him selling lumber there, but he finally
obtained permission, and disposed of his cargo at
a handsome profit. For some time he continued
his lumber shipments to Chicago with excellent
success.

While in this city, Mr. Brown formed the ac-
quaintance of Augustus Garrett, who afterward
founded the Biblical Institute of Evanston. Mr.
Garrett proposed that they form a partnership,
and. they finally agreed to form a combination
which should not interfere with Mr. Brown's land
speculations in Michigan. He owned a section
of land in the center of Ionia County, Michigan,
and a town was platted upon it. Mr. Garrett was
to have charge of the sale of the lots, and Mr.
Brown proceeded to the new town of Ionia and
proposed to erect a sawmill there. Lots sold
rapidly, and the following winter Senator Ewing
succeeded in having the Grand River district land-



office located there. Through some trickery,
however, this was not done, but Mr. Brown man-
aged to sell his lots and realized therefrom a small
fortune. This was invested in Chicago land, and
Garrett & Brown became the owners of three
thousand acres in the Chicago land district. They
became the owners of the most famous auction
house in the West, and it was soon filled with
goods of every kind from the East, to be sold at
auction or traded for town lots, for settlers were
rapidly coming in and there was a wild scramble
for property. The business done at the first house
increased so rapidly that two branch houses were
established. They not only sold all kinds of com-
modities and town lots, but also disposed of
Illinois and Wisconsin property. At one time
they owned nine thousand acres in and near Chi-
cago. In 1837 the partnership was dissolved.

Mr. Brown is a keen, far-sighted business man,
and this characteristic was shown by his invest-
ment in lands at Madison, Wisconsin, at the time
the State Capitol was located there. Knowing
that the location would cause a boom, he made ar-
rangements whereby he received the news of the
location eighteen hours in advance of any official
report; thus he had ample opportunity for secur-
ing the property, and within a day he had sold
land until he had realized in cash more than half
as much money as he had invested. His later
sales also added materially to his income. Mr.
Brown became interested in banking with Lyman
A. Spaulding, of I/x:kport, New York, establish-
ing a bank at Ann Arbor, Michigan. In later
years he was engaged in the construction of the
Illinois & Michigan Canal, taking a contract to
complete two sections, running through what is
now the village of I^emont. The financial panic
caused by the suspension of the National Bank
about that time caused the canal contractors to
receive no pay, and Mr. Brown suffered an enor-
mous loss. During his work on thecanal, however,
he obtained a knowledge of the geology of the
neighborhood and noted the immense deposits
of limestone. Afterward investing in these, he de-
veloped an important industry, and became the
owner of a valuable property. He removed to
Lemont and was soon recognized as its leading



204



FRANCIS SIXT.



citizen, and now has a larger property interest in
the city than any other citizen.

Mr. Brown has ever been a friend to the labor-
ing classes, in fact his own life has been one of
labor. The cause of temperance has found in him
a warm friend and he has done much to promote



sobriety among working men. In politics, he
was a Democrat, and supported that party until its
members in the South fired on Ft. Sumter, when
he espoused the cause of the Union and joined
the ranks of the Republican party, with which he
has since affiliated.



REV. FRANCIS SIXT.



REV. FRANCIS SIXT. In the mediseval
ages of chivalry, when men shed their blood
and gave up their lives freely on the field of
battle in support of the principles they loved, it
was no uncommon thing for a warrior, after his
days of wars and battles were over, to retire to a
religious institution and devote the remainder of
his days as zealously to the cause of Christianity
as he had fought for the success of his chosen
cause in secular matters. Loyola, whose name
will be ever dear to the heart of true Catholics,
was a soldier priest, whose military training and
experience fitted him for the ecclesiastical offices
he was later to fill with so much honor. The
fathers in the church at the present day are not
so frequently graduates from the school of arms,
or men who have responded to their country's
call for defenders, but there are some such, even
now.

Rev. Francis Sixt, of Lemont, is one. His
family dates back to the year 1200. On the 2ist
of May, 1850, he first saw the light of day at the
village of Unterroedel, among the fruit and grain
fields of Bavaria, and there his youth was passed.
At the early age of five, he began his education
at the public school, where he continued until he
was twelve years old. At that date he went to
the Gymnasium in Eichstadt, attending there and
at Amberg till he had reached the age of nine-
teen. He was then drafted into the army, and
served in the Sixth Cavalry Regiment of Bavaria



for two years. During his term of service the
Franco- Prussian War occurred, and he saw some
of the most arduous service in that hard-fought
and terrible struggle. He was present at the
victories of Sedan, Orleans and Paris. In follow-
ing the army of McMahon with "Unser Fritz"
into Sedan, he spent twenty-one hours in the sad-
dle each day for three days, and he and many
other soldiers were so blistered by hard riding
that the blood from their mutilated limbs ran into
their boots, and the scars of their wounds yet
remain.

In March, 1871, at the close of the war, his
military service being ended, Mr. Sixt came to
the United States, landing at New York on the
2ist of April. He then proceeded to Milwaukee,
where he entered St. Francis' College. Among
his instructors were Rev. Mr. Salzmann, D. D.,
Rector; Archbishop Katzer, Professor of Dogmas
and Philosophy; Reverend (now Monseignor)
Zeininger, teacher of Philosophy and Chemistry;
Rev. Joseph Reiner, now rector of St. Francis and
Professor of Modern Languages; and Rev. Mr.
Moppethorst, rector and Professor of Moral The-
ology and Common Law. Our subject was gradu-
ated in 1876, and on the roth of June of that year
was ordained by Rt.-Rev. Bishop Folly, D. D.,
Bishop of Chicago. Soon after he became assistant
to the Rev. Patrick Riordan, rector of St. James"
Church, of Chicago, now Archbishop of San Fran-
cisco, remaining six months, and then taking a



A. W. BURNSIDE.



205



similar place with Rev. Ferdinand Kalvelage, of
St. Francis' Church, where he remained two years
longer. He was then transferred to Lockport, Illi-
nois, where he took charge of St. Joseph's Church,
with two missions, Gooding's Grove and Mokena,
attached. This work occupied his time and at-
tention for the next six years.

On the ist of April, 1884, Father Sixt was
transferred to Lemont, since which time he has
been rector in charge of St. Alphonsus' Church.
At his coming, he found the financial affairs of
the parish in a very bad condition, two-thirds of
the church property sold for taxes, and the parish
about to dissolve. Father Sixt is a positive man,



and he took hold of the spiritual and temporal
affairs with a firm hand and brought together the
members of the church, collected money, paid off
the indebtedness, redeemed the property, and re-
paired the buildings, spending upwards of $10,000
in that way. He put everything in a prosperous
condition, and the people of his parish are now
among the most happy and contented. He was
the man for the place, and by precept and exam-
ple has shown his people how to succeed, and
they follow his teachings to a very great de-
gree, for his influence has been and still is great
among his parishioners, many of whom he has
helped to buy homes.



AARON W. BURNSIDE, M. D.



lARON WALLACE BURNSIDE, M. D.
The retrospect of a well-spent life, whose
chief element has been one of usefulness to
diseased and suffering humanity, is a thing that
any man would contemplate with satisfaction.
The man who has lived such a life, coupled with
the elements of honesty, uprightness and kind-
ness of heart, is loved and honored by his fellow-
men. Such a man is Dr Burnside, the subject of
this sketch.

The Empire State, which has contributed so
many valuable citizens to the West, is the place
of his nativity. He was born March 21, 1829, at
Wheeler, Steuben County. His ancestors were
of the famous Wallace family, and were known
as the Wallaces of the Burnside (i. c., Brookside)
from the place of their residence in Scotland, and



in later years adopted Burnside as a surname, but
retained Wallace as a Christian name in most
cases. Three brothers of this family came to
America in an early day and settled in New York
and New Jersey, and from them sprung a nu-
merous progeny, numbers of whom have located
in many States of the Union, from the Atlantic to
the Pacific. The grandfather of Dr. Burnside
married at an early age, and with his brave
young wife made his way from Albany to Otsego
County, New York, part of the way following a
bridle-path through the wilderness, and settled
in the forest, where he had purchased land. He
erected a sawmill, later built others, and being a
man of great energy and endurance, by hard
work and economy succeeded far beyond his ex-
pectations. He died when fifty-six years of age,



2C-6



A. W. LURNSIDE.



having been one of the wealthiest men in that
section of the State.

His son John, the father of Dr. Burnside, was
a resident of Steuben County, and was exten-
sively engaged in the manufacture of stage
coaches, which were widely known for their ex-
cellence, and were used over a large territory.
He married Ann Eliza Teller, daughter of James
and Lucretia (Brown) Teller, who was descended
on the maternal side from Atineke Jans, the
granddaughter of William IV. of Holland, who
has become celebrated in and out of the courts of
law as the owner of the immensely valuable
Trinity Church property of New York, over
which almost endless litigation has arisen.

Aaron W. Burnside is one of a family of seven
children, and accompanied his parents to near
Bucyrus, Ohio, where they settled in 1842. His
home was on a farm until he attained his ma-
jority, and in the work he performed he found
health and strength, and his surroundings were
such that he grew to manhood in the community
where manliness and morality were valued, and
his training in those matters was what it should
have been, as his after life has shown. The
common schools gave him his education in the
fundamental branches. At the age of twenty-one
he entered the Wesley an University, at Delaware,
Ohio, where he spent two profitable years, and
then, having decided to adopt the practice of
medicine for his life work, he matriculated at the
Eclectic Medical College, of Cincinnati, from
which he was graduated in 1854. He at once
engaged in practice in that city, and enjoyed
three years of success. He then migrated west-
ward and settled at Belvidere, Boone County,
Illinois, where for many years he was a leading
physician and did a large practice.

In 1 88 1, on account of ill health, caused by
overwork and the great amount of driving inci-
dent to a large country practice, he removed to
Chicago. Here his ability as a physician was
speedily recognized, and he was soon possessed of
a large practice. In the year 1882, Dr. Burn-
side was appointf.-d on the medical staff of the
homeopathic department of the Cook County



Hospital, and later becoming President of this
body served in that capacity for several years,
and then terminated his relation therewith by
resignation. The only other public position the
Doctor has filled is that of Examining Surgeon
of Pensions, which he held for fourteen years,
while residing in Boone County. During his in-
cumbency of that position he examined many
hundreds of applicants for pensions and never
had one returned for re-examination.

Dr. Burnside married Mary Ann Leslie,
daughter of John Leslie, of Cincinnati, Ohio, in
1854. One son was born to them in 1857, John
L- Burnside, for many years connected with the
firm of King Bros. , furnishing goods.

Dr. Burnside was again married, October 30,
1864, this time to Margaret E. Fuller, daughter
of Judge Lucius and Candice (Newell) Fuller, of
Belvidere, 111., and sister of Allen C. Fuller, Ad-
jutant-General of the State of Illinois during the
War of the Rebellion. By this marriage one
child was born, Vincent Wallace, who is connect-
ed in business with the National Printing and
Engraving Company.

Dr. Burnside became a member of the Masonic
Order in 1856, and has repeatedly held the posi-
tions of Master of the Blue Lodge, and High
Priest of the Chapter, having been a Thirty-
second Degree Mason since April 29, 1869. He has
been a life-long Republican, but has never been
active in politics, nor held a political office. In
1857 he became a member of the Illinois Homeo-
pathic Medical Association, and twenty-five years
ago of the American Institute of Homeopathy.
As has been said above, Dr. Burnside has never
sought office or political preferment. His life has
been devoted to the discharge of his duties as a
physician to his fellowmen, and in this he has
been successful, and in his success he has been
charitable, as is attested by thousands of uncol-
lected bills for medical attendance upon the poor
and distressed. His life shows him to be a credit
to the illustrious family from which he springs,
and to his kinsman, the 'ate Gen. Ambrose E.
Burnside.



Tup

""'VERSI. : OF , LH - llf




JOHN A. HUTCHINGS.



J. A. HUTCHINGS.



207



JOHN A. HUTCHINGS.



(JOHN ALEXANDER HUTCHINGS, of Oak

I Glen, is numbered among the boys in blue
Q) who during the late war valiantly aided in
the defense of the Union. He is recognized as
one of the most loyal and patriotic citizens of this
community, as well as one of the leading business
men. For more than a quarter of a century he
has been prominently connected with the com-
mercial interests of this place and is now success-
fully engaged in the manufacture of tile.

Mr. Hutchings is a native of Somerset, Eng-
land, born March 14, 1838, and is a son of James
Young and Sarah Jane (Linden) Hutchings.
His father was born in Somerset, in the year
1 809, and was a wheelwright by trade. His moth-
er was born January 18, 1 80 1, at Bridgewater,
London, and was a daughter of Joseph Linden, a
sea-captain. In 1838 James Y. Hutchings, leav-
ing his family behind him, sailed from the land
of his birth to the New World, and after a voyage
of one month found himself on American soil.
He landed at New York, and after looking about
him for a time was so well pleased with the
country that he sent for his family, who joined him
the following year. In 1843, ne followed the "Star
of Empire' ' westward and took up his residence in
Northfield Township, Cook County, Illinois.
The journey was made by canal to Buffalo and
thence to Chicago by way of the Lakes. Shortly
before reaching their destination they encountered
a heavy gale, which drove them back to Mackinaw
and made the time of their trip one mouth. In 1847
Mr. Hutchings purchased one hundred and twen-
ty acres of land, for which he paid $7.50 per acre.
A few years afterwards the Chicago, Milwaukee
& St. Paul Railroad Company was induced to
build its depot at Oak Glen on the Hutchings



farm, and this land was subdivided and a part of
the village has been built thereon.

Our subject is the fourth in the family of six
children. The eldest daughter died in infancy.
Henry Joseph is a miller living in Oak Glen.
Frederick James is now deceased. John A. is the
next younger. William L. is a farmer of Oak
Glen. Sarah Jane is the wife of E. F. Conner, of
Albert Lea, Minnesota.

It was during the infancy of John A. Hutch-
ings that he was brought by his mother to Amer-
ica, and upon the old home farm in Northfield
Township the days of his boyhood and youth
were passed. On the 3d of August, 1861, when
rebellion threatened the destruction of the Union,
he volunteered his services in defense of his coun-
try, and was assigned to Company F, Thirty-
ninth Illinois Infantry the celebrated " Yates
Phalanx." His captain was Amasa Kennicott,
and he was under Cols. O. L. Light, Thomas
O. Osborn and O. L. Mann. He faithfully and
valiantly served until November 28, 1865, when,
the war having ended, he was honorably dis-
charged. At Weir Bottom Church, Virginia, he
was twice wounded in one minute. On all nation-
al holidays he demonstrates his love for ' ' Old
Glory ' ' and the nation he defended by unfurling
to the breezes the largest flag in Northfield Town-
ship.

On the gth of December, 1869, Mr. Hutchings
was married to Miss Amelia J. Whitney, who
was born at Diamond Lake, Lake County, Illi-
nois, March 17, 1852. Mrs. Hutchings is a daugh-
ter of David Bagley and Elizabeth (Hicks) Whit-
ney. Mr. Whitney was born in Topsham, Orange
County, Vermont, October i, 1810, but most of
his boyhood was spent in Dalton, Coos County,



208



JOHN JENKINS.



New Hampshire, where his ancestors had lived
for several generations and where some of their
descendants still reside. His mother's maiden
name was Andrews. Her family were early set-
tlers of Orange County, Vermont.

In 1835, Mr. Whitney came to Illinois, first lo-
cating at Joliet. A few years later he removed
to Lake County, Illinois, becoming one of the
first settlers of that county, where he owned a
valuable farm. His death occurred March 26,
1886.

Mrs. Elizabeth Whitney was born in England,
and came to America with her parents when sev-
enteen years of age. Her father, John Hicks,
was an early settler at Joliet, but afterwards re-
moved to Lake County, Illinois, where the bal-
ance of his days were spent. Mrs. Elizabeth
Whitney died at Diamond Lake, Illinois, Janu-
ary 31, 1856.

Mr. and Mrs. Hutchings have three children:
Oliver A., who was born September 29, 1870,
and is a live-stock dealer of Kansas; Elsie Ada,
who was born May 8, 1875, and is the wife of
Philip A. Kennicott, a promising young phy-



sician, who is practicing his chosen profession in
Oak Glen; and Lillian Minerva, who was born
November 14, 1884, and is yet with her parents.
Mr. Hutchings and his family are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Oak Glen. In
politics he was a Republican until the organization
of the Prohibition party, when he joined its ranks.



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 31 of 111)