John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 36 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 36 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

public-spirited citizen and an enthusiastic ad-
herent of the Democratic party, contributing
much of his time as an organizer and worker for
its success, though always refusing to be himself
a candidate for any office.

Mrs. Jane (Grove) Hutchinson was born in New
York. Her father, who was a native of Penn-
sylvania, was of Dutch descent. The name was
originally written Groff. While returning from
a visit to Mackinaw, in 1856, Mrs. Hutchinson
became a victim of one of the saddest disasters
which ever occurred upon Lake Michigan, being
one of the passengers of the ill-fated steamer
" Niagara," which burned off Port Washington,
Wisconsin. She was the mother of four sons:
Chester M., of Hawthorne, Cook County, Illi-
nois; William A., who is in the United States
revenue service at Port Townsend, Washington;
and George C. and Charles G., both of whom are
residents of Chicago. William H. Hutchinson
was married a second time, to Miss Mary M.
Warner, of Williamsville, New York, and they
became the parents of two sons, Douglas and
Eugene, the latter of whom is now deceased, and
the former resides in Chicago.


2 35

Charles G. Hutchinson attended the Washing-
ton School of Chicago until he was fifteen years
old, after which he was a student for four years at
the Military Academy at Fulton, Illinois. After
the close of the Civil War there being no further
promise of demand for military service he re-
turned to Chicago, and became identified with
his father's business, which he continued to con-
duct for some time after the death of its founder.
In 1879, in company with his brother, George C.
Hutchinson, he established a factory for the pro-
duction of bottlers' supplies and extracts, under
the firm name of W. H. Hutchinson & Son, which
is still retained. Two years later the present
factory on Desplaines Street was built, and about
forty men are employed therein. The subject of
this notice is also identified with several other im-
portant industries. He is a stockholder and
Treasurer of the Independent Brewing Associa-
tion, and President of the Chicago Fountain Soda
Water Company. He is one of the stockholders

of the Coit Paint Company (incorporated) , and is
the inventor and patentee of the Hutchinson
Spring Bottle Stopper, a unique and useful ap-
pliance, which has come into almost universal use.
Mr. Hutchinson is a prominent member of the
Masonic fraternity, being identified with D. C.
Cregier Lodge, Washington Chapter, Chicago
Commandery, Knights Templar, Oriental Con-
sistory and Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine.
Like his father, he has been a life-long Democrat,
but never seeks public position. He is an en-
thusiastic and successful sportsman, and makes
frequent excursions to the woods of Northern
Wisconsin for the purpose of indulging his taste
for fishing and hunting. He is a member of the
Eagle River Fishing and Shooting Club, and of
the Cumberland Gun Club; two of the leading
sportsmen's organizations of Chicago. In all his
business and social relations he is deservedly pop-
ular, through his genial and social disposition
and his kind and courteous manners.


fgjEORGE MILLS ROGERS is not only dis-

btinguished as one of the foremost attorneys
and jurists of Chicago, but has given much
study and careful attention to the leading public
questions of the day. He is well versed in prob-
lems relating to political economy and municipal
reform, and his views are never narrowed by con-
siderations of party policy, nor are his expressions
colored by mere personal or mercenary motives.
His professional integrity and his reputation as
a citizen have been equally well maintained, and
no modern record of Chicago's representative men
would be complete without some notice of his

Mr. Rogers was born at Glasgow, Kentucky,
on the sixteenth day of April, 1854, and is a
son of the Hon. John Gorin Rogers and Arabella
E. Crenshaw, extended notice of whom, together
with the genealogy of their families, is given
elsewhere in this volume. The subject of this
sketch was but four years old when the family
came to Chicago. He was educated at the public
schools and the Chicago University, supplement-
ing the instruction so received by a course at Yale
College, from which famous institution he was
graduated in 1876. He began his legal studies
in the office of Crawford & McConnell, and con-
tinued the same in the Union College of Law



now the law department of the Northwestern

In 1878 he was admitted to the Bar, and began
practice in partnership with Samuel P. McConnell,
a well-known barrister, since one of the Judges of
the Circuit Court of Cook County. During the
continuance of this partnership he was chosen at-
torney for the Citizens' Association, and was a
member of the committee which prepared and
secured the passage of the original reform city
election law. He also personally prepared the
primary election law, which was adopted verbatim
by the committee of the association having that
subject in charge, and was presented to the Legis-
lature for adoption. Owing to the fact that this
bill was in charge of Senator Crawford during its
passage, it became known as the ' ' Crawford
Election Law."

His services in behalf of this association could
not fail to attract attention to his signal ability as
a lawyer and a statesman, and caused his ap-
pointment as Assistant City Attorney. This po-
sition he filled with such credit that, in 1886, he
was appointed City Prosecuting Attorney, but ow-
ing to the ill-health of his wife, which demanded
that he should travel with her, he resigned the
office in April of the following year. After return-
ing to the city he was appointed, in November,
1887, to the office of Assistant United States At-
torney, but resigned that position in the following
March, to re-engage in private law practice.
With this business he has combined that of real-
estate and loans, and his transactions have grown
to such volume as to require the assistance of
several clerks.

On the ist of February, 1889, he was ap-
pointed :i Master in Chancery of the Circuit Court
of Cook County, and has discharged the duties of
that judicial office with such candor and im-
partiality as to earn and receive the approbation
of courts, attorneys and litigants.

In 1893 it was deemed advisable by the leading
lawyers of Chicago to take some practical steps
toward the separation of judicial affairs from the
contamination of political interests. With this
end in view, they placed in nomination eight
candidates for judicial positions, who were equally

divided in political affiliations between the two
leading parties. Mr. Rogers received the highest
vote of any candidate before the Bar Association
the total number being 1346, out of which he
received 1222. This nomination came to him
without any solicitation on his part, and, although
the "party machine" which dominated the Dem-
ocratic convention prevented the endorsement
of his nomination, which he made no effort to
secure, his endorsement by the members of the
Bar, who were influenced by no political consid-
erations, but by a desire to elevate the judiciary
and purify the administration of justice, was re-
garded as a far greater compliment than an elec-
tion as a candidate of any political party could
have been.

On the 3d of June, 1884, Mr. Rogers was mar-
ried to Philippa Hone Anthon, a daughter of the
late Hone Anthon, of New York City, whose
family is conspicuous for the large number of
eminent professional men among its members.

Mr. Rogers is one of the founders of the Iro-
quois Club, and among the other clubs with
which he is prominently identified may be men-
tioned the Illinois, University and Law Clubs.
In the fall of 1888 he united with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, in which his father had
been one of the leading spirits, and he has repre-
sented his lodge in the Grand Lodge of Illinois.
In 1882 he made a foreign tour in company with
his brother, who was suffering from ill-health,
and visited the principal cities and other points
of interest in Europe. His active mind and keen
observation could not fail to make this trip of
value to him in broadening his experience and
extending his knowlege of men and the affairs of
the world.

For a number of years after beginning his pro-
fessional career, he was prominent in the political
counsels of the Democratic party. In 1880 he
was nominated as the candidate of his party for
State Senator. His personal popularity may be
judged from the fact that the usual Republican
majority of two thousand in his district was re-
duced to eight hundred. For some time he was
Vice- President of the Cook County Democratic
Committee, and labored diligently, though in



vain, to bring about some needed reforms in the
organization and methods of the party. Becom-
ing displeased with the methods of politicians, he
became one of the organizers of the Iroquois
Club, which was established for the purpose of

exerting an influence in National politics, leaving
local strife to those whose taste led in that direc-
tion, and he was elected one of its first Vice-


ROBERT HERVEY, LL. D., who was for
nearly forty years a familiar figure in Chi-
cago court rooms, was born in Glasgow,
Scotland, August 10, 1820. He is a son of Alex-
ander and Elizabeth (Gibson) Hervey. The fa-
ther was a son of Robert Hervey, who founded a
mercantile establishment at Glasgow, in which
Alexander succeeded him. The business career
of the latter was cut short by his death, when his
son Robert was but eleven years of age. Mrs.
Elizabeth Hervey afterward came to America, and
for a number of years resided with her son in
Chicago. She died at Brockville, Canada, in

Robert Hervey was educated in his native city,
first at a grammar school and later at the Uni-
versity of Glasgow. While at this institution he
began the study of medicine, and the knowledge
thus obtained was of great use to him in subse-
quent legal practice. With this information he
often surprised courts, as well as expert witnesses.
At the age of seventeen years he went to Canada,
intending to enter, into mercantile business in
connection with uncles who were residing there.
By the advice of one of the latter, however, he de-
cided to study law, and became a student of Hen-
ry Sherwood, of Brockville, afterward the Attor-
ney-General of Ontario. When this gentleman
removed to Toronto, Mr. Hervey accompanied
him to that city, where he was admitted to prac-
tice in 1841. He then opened an office at Otta-
wa, then called By town, the eastern terminus of
the Rideau Canal, which had recently been com-
pleted. He continued his legal business at Otta-

wa until 1852, when he came to Chicago, and has
since been continuously in legal practice here.

He first opened an office in partnership with
Buckner S. Morris and Joseph P. Clarkson, at
the southeast corner of Lake and Clark Streets,
in the same building where Judge Thomas Drum-
mond then held United States Court. Mr. Her-
vey subsequently took James R. Hosmer into
partnership for a time, and in May, 1858, became
a partner of Elliott Anthony since a distin-
guished Judge of the Superior Court. Mr. A. T.
Gait was afterward admitted to this firm, and
for many years the firm of Hervey, Anthony &
Gait was one of the best known in Chicago. Mr.
Hervey's early partner, Joseph Clarkson, was a
brother of Bishop Clarkson, who was then Rector
of St. James' Church on the North Side, and
afterward became Bishop of Nebraska.

Mr. Hervey has practiced in all courts, from
Justices' up to the Supreme Court of the United
States, to which latter he was admitted in 1873,
and has been employed on some of the most im-
portant criminal cases in Cook County. The first
of these was in 1855, when he defended Patrick
Cunningham, accused of killing a policeman.
This case created a great sensation in Chicago, but
Mr. Hervey secured a change of venue to Wau-
kegan, where the minds of the jurors were less
prejudiced than in Chicago, and his client was
sentenced to the penitentiary for eight years for
manslaughter. The adroit and skillful manage-
ment of the defendant's attorney saved the latter
from a death sentence and established the law-
yer's reputation. Though he has defended some



notorious criminals, none of his clients have ever
been executed. He was attorney for some of the
aldermen and Cook County Commissioners who
were accused of "boodling," and all his clients
were acquitted.

One of the most important cases taken up by
the firm of Hervey & Anthony was the dissolu-
tion of the consolidation of the Chicago & Galena
Union Railroad Company with the Chicago &
Northwestern Railroad Company, a deal which
was manipulated by the directors of the respect-
ive roads to the dissatisfaction and alleged dis-
advantage of the stockholders of the former road,
who had not been consulted in the matter. The
contest was finally settled by payment of dam-
ages to the plaintiff stockholders of the Chicago
& Galena Union.

For six years past Mr. Hervey has been afflict-
ed with ill-health, which has confined him to his
house and prevented his attendance at court or
social gatherings. While his health permitted
him to do so, he attended the Episcopal Church.
Since 1865 he has been a member of the Masonic
fraternity, having joined Blaney I/odge at that
date. While a young man he joined the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows at Ottawa, and be-
came the Noble Grand of Ottawa Lodge No. 1 1.
His connection with this order was abandoned,
however, on his coming to the United States,
though he has often regretted this action. While
a citizen of Canada he was quite an active politi-
cian, and spent considerable of his time, energy
and money in the effort to help shape local affairs.
His uncle, who realized the futility of this course,
exacted a promise from young Hervey on coming
to Chicago, that he would not mingle in the pol-
itics of the United States. This pledge has been
faithfully observed, and he did not become a voter
until 1887.

In 1852 he became a member of St. Andrew's
Society, an organization in which he has ever
taken an active interest, and has probably done
as much for its promotion as any single member.
He has served as President of the society for six
terms. The object of this association is to relieve
the distress of the unfortunate among the coun-
trymen and women of its members, and it has

come to be one of the leading charitable institu-
tions of the city. In the winter of 1865, during
which there was much suffering to be relieved
among the poor and unfortunate, the funds of the
society became exhausted, and, at the request of
his friends, Mr. Hervey prepared and delivered a
lecture on Robert Burns at the old Metropolitan
Hall. The receipts of this lecture netted the
society about $450. This address met such pop-
ular approval that it was afterward several times
repeated in other places. In 1883 the faculty of
Wesleyan University at Bloomington, Illinois,
invited him to deliver this lecture, together with
an address to the graduating class of that institu-
tion. This request was cheerfully complied with,
and as a token of their appreciation of this effort
the degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred upon
him by the university. Another lecture on
Walter Scott, which he delivered several years
later at the same hall, also netted the society a
handsome sum. In 1865 he helped organize the
Caledonian Club, and was chosen its first Chief,
a position which he filled several years.

Mr. Hervey was first married to Miss Maria
Jones, daughter of Dunham Jones, a farmer near
Brockville, Canada, who removed thither from
the United States during the Revolutionary War,
on account of his loyalty to the British CrQwn.
Mrs. Maria Hervey fell a victim to the cholera in
1854. In 1861 Mr. Hervey was again married,
to Frances W. Smith, a native of Rochester, New
York, and his present helpmate. Her mother,
who is now Mrs. T. B. Bishop, is a native of
England, and resides in Chicago, aged over eighty
years. Mr. Hervey has three children. Alexan-
der is a farmer near Charleston, Missouri. Rob-
ert is the manager of an extensive lumber com-
pany at Tonawanda, New York; and Sophia is
the wife of Sidney F. Jones, of Toronto, Ontario.
For twenty-four years past Mr. Hervey has lived
near the lake shore, on Twenty-fifth Street, hav-
ing moved to that location a short time previous
to the great Chicago Fire, and thereby avoided
becoming one of its victims. In this pleasant lo-
cation his most recent years have been altogether
spent, and here his friends always receive a hearty

' 'RY




/\ zen of Chicago almost from its beginning.
Q) His ancestry made him heir to all the noble
qualities of the best Puritan stock. None of our
citizens have come down through stock more dis-
tinguished than the Hinckley and Otis families of
Plymouth Colony, from whom is descended the
subject of this sketch. (We regret that the scope
of this work does not permit a more detailed gen-
ealogy of these families than what follows.)

Samuel Hinckley, the common ancestor of all
bearing the name in this country, was typical of
his race; honest, industrious, prudent; qualities
descended without interval to the present times.
In the spring of 1635, as a "Dissenter," he came
from Tenterden, Kent County, England, sailing
from Sandwich on the ship "Hercules" (two
hundred tons, Capt. John Witherly) , bringing a
wife, Sarah, and four children. Landing at Bos-
ton, he went direct to Scituate, where he built a
house, "No. 19," on Kent Street; removing to
Barnstable in July, 1640, where he died October
31, 1662, leaving eleven children, three sons of
which number, Thomas, Samuel and John, left

Thomas, son of the emigrant, was born in Eng-
land about 1618; came to New England with his
father; was Governor of Plymouth Colony dur-
ing the last eleven years of its existence as a
Colony, and was at the time of his death (April
25, 1705, at Barnstable, ae. 87) one of the Coun-
cil of the United Colonies. Moore's "Lives of
the Governors of Plymouth and Massachusetts' '
gives extended due notice of his deeds; and a

record of his public life is found in "The Records
of Plymouth Colony." Of his private life little
is known; but "during half a century he held
offices of trust and prominence in the Old Colony,
and had a controlling influence over the popular
mind. * * The architect of his own fortunes.

* * Of good common-sense and sound judg-
ment. * * Honest and honorable. * * In-
dustrious, persevering and self-reliant; and the
best lawyer in the colony. * * Independent in
religion, tolerant before his times; he possessed
his faculties to the very end. ' '

Gov. Thomas Hinckley married, first, Decem-
ber 4, 1641, Mary Richards, of Wey mouth (whose
sister Alice married Dept.-Gov. William Brad-
ford), and, second, March 16, 1660, Mary Glover
(widow of Nathaniel), who is said to have been
beautiful in person and the most accomplished
and intelligent woman in the colony; of which
excellent characteristics abundance has come down
to later generations.

At the time of his death he had had seventeen
children, of whom fifteen lived to maturity; only
three of them, however, being sons to leave issue,
namely: Samuel, John and Ebenezer, from whom
are descended a very numerous and widely scat-
tered posterity. By the second wife he had nine
children; the fifth of whom, John, born June 9,
1667, married Thankful Trot May i, 1691, had
six children: one John, the youngest, born Feb-
ruary 17, 1701, married, September 17, 1726, Be-
thiah Robinson and had eight children; the fifth
child, Adino, born December 12, 1735, married
Mercy Otis, had three children, the youngest being



Solomon, born in Barnstable, Massachusetts,
March 3, 1770, married Mercy Otis, finally set-
tled at Pomfret, New York, where he died De-
cember 19, 1831; he had eight children: George
Otis (father of the subject of this sketch), born
October 30,1795, married Sally Taylor, of Buck-
land, Massachusetts, died in Sacramento, where
he was buried; left in Illinois the following chil-
dren: Samuel (subject of this sketch), Mary O.,
Sarah E., Otis D., Horace A., Harriet W. and
Abner T.

The Barnstable (Massachusetts) family of Otis
is descended from Gen. John Otis, born in Barn-
stable, Devonshire, England, in 1581, came to
Hingham, Massachusetts, in 1635, thence to
Scituate, thence to Barnstable. His son John
came to Barnstable with his father, where he
left descendants, many of them illustrious. One
of his sons, Col. John Otis, was twenty years
Representative, Commander of Militia eighteen
years, First Judge of Probate thirteen years, and
Chief Justice of Court of Common Pleas and His
Majesty's Counsel twenty-one years; left six chil-
dren: two females (of whom Mercy, married
Gen. James Warren, brother of Gen. Joseph, who
fell at Bunker Hill) and four males: First, Gen.
John, King's Attorney and member of Coun-
cil nine years; second, Nathaniel, Register of
Probate many years; third, Solomon, Register of
Deeds, County Treasurer, etc., etc., died 1778;
fourth, Col. James, two years Speaker of House
of Representatives, Judge of Probate, Chief Jus-
tice of the Court of Common Pleas, Member of
the Council, and, from the time of departure of
General Gage to the adoption of the Constitution
of Massachusetts, exercised the functions of Chief
Magistrate of the Commonwealth by right of sen-
iority. He had ten children, the most illustrious
being James Otis, Jr., "The Patriot," immortal-
ized by opposing the "Writs of Assistance,"
"The Stamp Act," etc., etc., of whom United
States President, John Adams, said: "I have
been young and now am old, and I solemnly say
that I have never known a man whose love of
country was more ardent or sincere; never one
who suffered so much; never one whose services
for any ten years of his life were so important to

the cause of his country as Mr. Otis' from 1 760
to 1770."

Samuel was born June 12, 1818, at Buck-
land, Franklin County, Massachusetts, two hun-
dred years after Thomas Hinckley, the Governor
of Plymouth Colony. The maiden name of his
mother was Sarah Taylor, from whom he derived
his middle name.

While Samuel was yet a child, his parents
moved to Chautauqua County, New York, a sec-
tion of country at that time regarded as the far
West. In 1836 his father turned his footsteps
still farther towards the outskirts of civilization,
and finally selected Illinois as his future home.

The journey was made with ox -teams, by slow
stages, through an almost unbroken wilderness,
which the red man had but recently ceded by
treaty. Young Hinckley drove one of the teams.
Passing beyond Chicago, his father pre-empted a
tract of land where Lake Forest now has its pala-
tial homes and college halls.

Here Samuel began his life work. The priva-
tions and trials of those pioneer days and years
were numerous and extremely severe. Every-
thing had to be made; the houses of logs hewn
from the forest; roads laid out and cut through
heavy timber; mills to be erected and the wilder-
ness cleared away and the ground made ready
for civilization.

In those far-off times, flour cost twenty dollars
per barrel, and other things in proportion. The
Indians, too, were frequent visitors at the cabins of
the pioneers. As a rule they were harmless, but
wanted all the food there was in sight.

It was in this school of trial, and sometimes of
adversity, that Samuel T. Hinckley was educated
for his business career, and thereby trained to
habits of industry, strict economy and perfect in-
tegrity enduring qualities which he carried with
him through life.

At the age of eighteen this young pioneer came
to Chicago on a quest of furthering his fortunes,
and was most fortunate in coming to the fa-
vorable notice of Captain (afterwards General)
J. D. Webster, at that time Superintendent of
Improvements in the local lake harbors, including,
besides our own, Milwaukee, St. Joseph and




Michigan City. Such work required absolute
freedom from ice; so in the spring, summer and
autumn months, our young hero toiled manfully

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 36 of 111)