John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 39 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 39 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and learned the trade of an iron moulder. This

calling he followed five years, when, with the
money which he had earned and saved, he em-
barked in the sale of hay and grain on his own
account, establishing himself in a small way at
the same location which he now occupies. To
feed he soon added coal, and since his small be-
ginning business has wonderfully prospered.

Gradually, but surely, he has enlarged his un-
dertakings, until at present he conducts a flourish-
ing livery and undertaking business, as well as
his original venture (materially enlarged). His



place of business extends from No. 387 to No.
391 Noble Street, and when he looks back upon
the struggles of his youth and early manhood he
may well be pardoned a glow of gratification as
he reflects that his success has been due to his
own enterprise, industry, economy and probity.
In 1893 Mr. Nielsen married Miss Marie
Bradolph, a native of Norway. Their union has

been blessed with three children, Christine, Eric
and Christian.

Mr. Nielsen is a member of various societies
and clubs, as follows: Society Dania, the Danish
Brotherhood No. 18; Court Republic No. 1043,
Independent Order of Foresters; and the Flour
and Feed Association. He is affiliated with the
Republican party.


(STEPHEN SEXTON, among the pioneer
?\ residents of Chicago, is deserving of especial
Q) mention in this volume. His father, Syl-
vester Sexton, in whose veins the Scottish blood
flowed, was born in County Clare, Ireland, and
came to the United States in 1808. He settled
at Rochester, New York, where he died in 1810,
shortly before the birth of his son Stephen. The
latter was the youngest of eight children. He
grew up in Rochester, where he married Ann
Gaughan, who was born in County Mayo, Ireland,
as were her parents, Thomas and Margaret (Jack-
son) Gaughan. The last-named was a relative
of President Andrew Jackson, for whom her
grandson (see sketch on another page) received
his second Christian name. Thomas Gaughan
was numbered among the van of Chicago settlers,
having located on the site of what is now South
Chicago in 1819. He died there in 1827, and his
widow survived until 1864, reaching the age of
ninety-three years.

Stephen Sexton was a pioneer settler in Chi-
cago, coming here early in the year 1834, and
locating on the North Side. He was a carpenter
by occupation, and became very well known as
an expert draughtsman, builder and contractor.
One of the first public schoolhouses in Chicago
was erected by him. He was an ardent Demo-
crat, and took an active part in political move-

ments during the early days. He died April 7,
1 86 1, having been preceded to the other shore
eleven days by his wife, who died on the 27th
of March, that year. They had eight sons and
four daughters who grew to maturity. Margaret
Elizabeth married James E. Cassidy, and also
reared twelve children; Thomas S., for many
years an employe of the Chicago postoffice, died
in December, 1889; Mary Ann married James
E. Ennis, and reared nine children, all of whom
graduated at the Chicago High School; three died
in early childhood, and James A. is the seventh;
William H. is a citizen of New Orleans, Louisi-
ana; Sarah E. married John Highland, of Chica-
go, who was a Sergeant in Colonel Sexton's com-
pany of the Seventy-second Illinois Infantry;
Henry M. is superintendent of the refrigerator-
car service of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
Railway, being the inventor of the cars used;
George M. is a resident of Chicago; Eliza married
George B. Hopkins, who is superintendent of a
western division of the Wells-Fargo Express;
Austin O. and Joseph W. are residents of Chica-
go, the former being a prominent Democratic pol-
itician, who served several years in the City Coun-
cil and eight years as a Member of the Illinois
Legislature; and Louis N. resides in Liverpool,
England. All the daughters are deceased, and
seven of the sons are still living.




LJ markable circumstance that this gentleman,
/ I although he has attained the age of over
seventy-five years and has spent the greater part
of this time either in active business or military
service, has never been a witness of an accident.
He was born at Stirling, Scotland, a locality teem-
ing with romantic interest and historic reminiscen-
ces, on the 7th of April, 1820. Both his parents
were worthy representatives of the Scotch nation .

His father, Alexander McLean, who was born
at Callendar, became a cabinet-maker at Stirling,
where his death occurred when Archibald was
but three years old. The mother, Elizabeth
(Robinson) McLean, was a native of Bannock-
burn. After reaching the age of eighty years
she came to America, and died at Brooklyn, New
York, in 1871, at the venerable age of one hun-
dred and one years and two months. She was
the youngest of a family of ten children which
was conspicuous for the longevity of its members.
Her eldest brother, James Robinson, reached the
age of one hundred and fifteen years, dying at
Glengary, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander
McLean were the parents of seven sons, four of
whom still survive. James is a business man of
Glasgow, Scotland. Alexander and George are
citizens, respectively, of Brooklyn and Albany,
New York. John died in Cork, Ireland, after
serving fifteen years in the British army. Neal
died in a hospital from the effects of wounds re-
ceived during the great American Civil War; and
Archibald B. is the next in order of birth. Don-
ald, the eldest of the family, died in boyhood.

Archibald B. McLean grew to manhood in his
native town, and at the age often years began to

learn the tailor's trade, an occupation which he
has continued ever since, with the exception of
the time spent in military service. At the age of
seventeen years he entered the British army as a
member of the Seventy-first Highland Light In-
fantry, which was soon afterward ordered to Can-
ada to assist in quelling the rebellion then in
progress in that colony. He saw considerable
skirmish duty during this expedition, and was
stationed most of the time at Montreal or St.
John's, Canada.

In 1843 he was discharged from the service of
the Crown, and, coming to the United States, lo-
cated at Albany, New York, where he worked at
his trade for the next two years. At the end of
that time he enlisted in the United States navy
and embarked on the seventy- four-gun ship "Col-
umbus," which sailed from Brooklyn, New York,
upon a voyage around the world. While at a
Chinese port the crew first heard of the war be-
tween the United States and Mexico and received
orders to sail for the coast of California. Upon
their arrival they patroled that coast until the
close of hostilities, when they returned to the
Atlantic Coast by way of Cape Horn. The voy-
age, which terminated at Norfolk, Virginia, had
lasted for thirty-five months, during which time
they had sailed sixty-eight thousand miles.

Mr. McLean again went to Albany and opened
a tailoring establishment, carrying on business at
that place until 1854, when he came to Chicago
and engaged in business on Randolph Street.
Three years later he removed to Janesville, Wis-
consin. Here he carried on a merchant-tailoring
establishment until the outbreak of the rebellion,
when he was again seized with the spirit of mil-



itary enthusiasm. Soon after the fall of Fort
Sumter he recruited Company D of the Second
Wisconsin Infantry, and, declining a Captain's
commission, became the First Lieutenant thereof.
He reached the field with his regiment in time
to take part in the disastrous battle of Bull
Run, and after serving six months resigned his
commission and applied for a position in the Ma-
rine Corps. Having passed the prescribed age,
and the officers not being aware of his past naval
experience, his services were declined, and he re-
enlisted in Company C, of the Twenty-seventh
Wisconsin. He chose the position of color-bearer,
and served in that capacity until the close of hos-
tilities. Though he was constantly exposed to
the fire of the enemy, taking part in many of the
bloodiest engagements of the war, Mr. McLean
received no wounds and was never in a hospital.
After participating in the battles of Fort Donel-
son, Pittsburg Landing and Corinth, he took
part in General Shield's expedition in Arkansas.
This campaign encountered fourteen general en-
gagements in twenty-one days, besides meeting a
great deal of guerrilla warfare. After the close of
the campaign he was sent to Mobile and took
part in the siege of that place, which terminated
the war.

After peace came he remained one year in
Janesville, but in 1866 again located in Chicago,

where he was continuously engaged in merchant
tailoring until June, 1894, when he resigned the
business to his son, W. S. McLean, who had
previously been for some years a partner in the
business. During the twenty-nine years' exist-
ence of this establishment it has won and retained
a valuable patronage and is still in a flourishing

On the nth of April, 1849, Mr. McLean was
married to Margaret Shields, a native of Elgin,
Moray shire, Scotland. Four children have been
born to them, all of whom are residents of this
city. They are: William S., the present successor
of his father in business; Archibald, who is also
connected with the establishment; George, who
has charge of a department in the great wholesale
establishment of Marshall Field & Co. ; and Isa-
bella, now the wife of William L- Melville. Mr.
and Mrs. McLean are the proud grandparents of
eight children.

For over forty years Mr. McLean has been con-
nected with the Masonic order, and although he
has been at times a member of other societies, is
not identified with any other organization at the
present time. He has been a steadfast Repub-
lican from the organization of that party, and has
ever been a patriotic and public-spirited citizen of
the land of his adoption.


RALPH N. TRIMINGHAM, Secretary of the
Chicago Underwriters' Association, is one of
the best known insurance men in the city.
He was born in St. John's, Newfoundland, Sep-
tember 2, 1838, and is the eldest son of Ralph
and Ann (Brine) Trimingham, and a member of
one of the oldest Colonial families.

The Trimingham family was founded in Ber-
muda by James Trimingham, who emigrated

thither from England during the reign of Charles
II. and died there April i, 1735, The mercan-
tile house which he established and conducted
there during his lifetime was inherited and en-
larged by successive generations of his descen-
dants. He was the father of four sons and two
daughters. Of these, John, the third son, mar-
ried Elizabeth Jones. Francis, the third son of
this couple, died in 1813. He inherited the rare



commercial instincts of his ancestors, and under
his able guidance the business assumed extensive
proportions, and branch houses were established
in the Barbadoes, St. Vincent, and St. John's,
Newfoundland. Several of his sons became
partners in the concern, and continued the busi-
ness for some time after his death. The firm
owned a number of vessels and maintained exten-
sive trade between the places above mentioned
and various ports in Great Britain and South

Francis Trimingham married Frances Light-
bourn, and they were the parents of eight chil-
dren, the youngest of whom was Ralph, father of
the subject of this notice. The last-named gen-
tleman, who was born at Bermuda in 1801, re-
moved while a young man to St. John's, taking
charge of the company's interests at that place.
He was married there, and about 1847 removed
to Baltimore, Maryland, where the firm of which
he was a member also established a mercantile
house. Four years later he disposed of his inter-
est in the business, and in 1851 removed to St.
Vincent, where he turned his attention to agri-
culture and operated a large sugar plantation for
the next four years. He then came to Chi-
cago, and for a brief period re-engaged in mer-
chandising, but soon retired from active business.
His death occurred in 1869, at the age of sixty-
eight years. His wife survived until August,
1874, departing this life at the age of sixty-three
years. She was born in Newfoundland and was
a daughter of Robert and Ann Brine. They
came from the South of England and settled at
St. John's, where Mr. Brine was for many years
a prosperous merchant.

Ralph N. Trimingham was educated at private
schools, it being the intention of his parents to
give him a college education and fit him for
the Episcopal ministry. This purpose had to be
abandoned, however, and at the age of sixteen
years he entered upon his business career as clerk
in a lawyer's office at St. Vincent. His subse-
quent occupations have usually been of a clerical
order, and he seems to be peculiarly adapted for
the accurate, methodical labors which are so es-
seutial to success in such avocations. For some

time previous to the departure of the family from
St. Vincent he was employed as cashier in a dry-
goods store, and his first occupation in Chicago
was of a similar nature. A few years after locat-
ing here he entered the office of Magill & La-
tham, vessel-owners and commission merchants,
with whom he remained for some time. He sub-
sequently became a bookkeeper for his uncle,
William Brine, who was a commission merchant
operating upon the Board of Trade.

Since 1866 he has been identified with the fire-
underwriting interests of the city. His first con-
nection in that line was with the Home Insurance
Company of New York, under the management
of Gen. A. C. Ducat, with whom he remained
for a little over ten years. After leaving the em-
ploy of the Home he for a short time became en-
gaged in mercantile pursuits, but soon re-entered
the business of fire insurance. In 1882 he was
elected Secretary of the Underwriters' Exchange,
a combination of insurance companies, and when
the members of that organization united with
those of the Chicago Board of Underwriters in
forming the Chicago Fire Underwriters' Associa-
tion, an institution organized for a similar pur-
pose, he continued to serve the new concern in
the same capacity. In 1894 the last-named cor-
poration was succeeded by the Chicago Under-
writers' Association. In recognition of his expe-
rience and previous services, Mr. Trimingham
was elected Secretary of the new association, and
the performance of his duties to these successive
organizations has absorbed his time and attention
since 1885.

On the i6th of April, 1885, he was married to
Miss Carrie J., daughter of Robert G. Goodwillie,
an early resident of Chicago. They are the par-
ents of two daughters, named, respectively, Eliz-
abeth and Anna. For thirty-eight years Mr.
Trimingham held membership with the Third
Presbyterian Church of Chicago, in which, for
seventeen years, he was Elder and Clerk of the
Session. He is now Elder of the First Presby-
terian Church at Oak Park, where he lives. He
has been identified with the Masonic order for
the last twenty years, being a member of Cleve-
land Lodge, Washington Chapter and Siloam



Commandery, Knights Templar, of which he is
Past Eminent Commander. His life has been
marked by diligent, punctual habits and the con-
scientious observance of upright principles. He
has witnessed the growth and development of

Chicago for nearly forty years, and during all that
time he has spent but little time out of the city,
his chief recreation being found in his domestic
and social relations.



bwell known amid Masonic circles through-
out America and Europe, and has a world-
wide reputation for sterling character, accommo-
dating manners, and devotion to the interests of
the order. He was born at Palmyra, Wayne
County, New York, June i, 1834, and is the son
of George Washington Barnard, whose death oc-
curred previous to the birth of this son. The
father of George W. Barnard, whose name was
spelled Bernarde, was a Frenchman. Following
the noble example of the immortal La Fayette,
he came to America to enlist in the cause of free-
dom, and upon the termination of the conflict
settled in western New York, where he married
and became the father of two sons. The elder
of these died without issue, and the second lived
and died in Wayne County, that state. The lat-
ter became the captain of a passenger packet on
the Erie Canal, a position of considerable import-
ance in his time. His wife, Sabrina Deming,
was a native of New York, and now resides in
Howard City, Michigan, at the extreme old age
of eighty years, her present name being Preston.
Gilbert W. Barnard was reared in the family of
his maternal grandfather, David Demming, a na-
tive of Connecticut, who removed to Jackson
County, Michigan, soon after his grandson be-
came a member of his family. The Demming
family was founded in America by four brothers,
who settled in Connecticut early in the seven-
teenth century. The name was originally spelled

Dummund, but by a process of evolution peculiar
to foreign names in America, it became Demming,
and was contracted by the present generation by
the omission of one "m."

The subject of this biography spent the first
fifteen years of his life in Jackson County, Mich-
igan, whence he came to Chicago and began his
business career as clerk in a general store. He
afterward engaged in the book and stationery
business, which line of trade he carried on for
several years, achieving a reputation for upright
and honorable dealing, and winning the esteem
and confidence of his fellow-citizens. During the
first year of his residence in Chicago he joined
the volunteer fire department, and during the next
nine or ten years rendered much valuable service
to the city.

In October, 1864, he joined the Masonic order
and has ever since been actively identified with
its interests. He has taken over three hundred
degrees known to Masonry, and has filled most
of the principal offices in the subordinate and
grand lodges. He is at present Past Master of
Garden City Lodge; Past High Priest of Cor-
rinthian Chapter No. 69, R. A. M. ; Past Emi-
nent Commander of St. Bernard Commandery
No. 35, Knights Templar; Past Commander-in-
Chief of Oriental Consistory ; Grand Secretary of
the Grand Chapter; Grand Recorder of the Grand
Council and of the Grand Commandery; and
Grand Secretary of the Council of Deliberation,
S. P. R. S., and other bodies.

t <.RY




In 1877 he was elected Secretary of the Capit-
ular, Cryptic and Chivalric Grand Bodies of the
State of Illinois, a position he has ever since filled,
and has devoted the best years of his life to the
interests of the fraternity, administering to the
wants of his brethren, and relieving the needs of
their widows and orphans in distress. His sig-
nal ability and unrelenting efforts in the perform-
ance of his duties have won for him a host of
friends and admirers. He has labored untiringly
in behalf of the Illinois Masonic Orphans' Home,
of which he was the first Secretary, and through
his active efforts has contributed much to the up-
building of that worthy institution.

His long connection with the Ancient Accepted
Scottish Rite has placed him in correspondence
with all branches of the order in all parts of the
world. His commodious quarters in the Masonic
Temple are general headquarters for Masonic
affairs, and the resort of brethren from every civ-
ilized country on the globe. They contain an
ample library, and are filled with numerous other
articles of use or interest to members of the fra-

Mr. Barnard was married in 1863, and one child,
a daughter, is still living, he having lost three


(JACOB MANZ, one of the self-made men of
I Chicago, and prominent among its Swiss-
\~) American citizens, is an excellent representa-
tive of the benefits of a Republican Government.
He was born October i, 1837, in Marthalen, in
the canton of Zurich, Switzerland, in which his
grandparents and parents, Jacob and Elizabeth
(Keller) Manz, were also born.

Jacob Manz, Sr. , was a stone-cutter in early
life, and became an architect and superintendent,
which indicates that he made the best use of his
faculties and opportunities. Having heard much
of the wonderful republic beyond the seas, he
came to America in 1853, to ascertain for himself
if it afforded better opportunities for an ambitious
man than his native land. He spent six months
at Lima, Ohio, and came to Chicago in the spring
of 1854. He soon decided to remain here, and
wrote to his wife to dispose of their property in
Switzerland and follow him, with the children.
On account of the youth of some of the latter,
whose studies were not yet completed, as well as
the difficulty of disposing of the property to ad-

vantage, the move was postponed until death pre-
vented the meeting again on earth of husband
and wife. The latter died in 1860, at the age of
fifty -eight years. Mr. Manz did some building
in Chicago, but was forced in a short time to give
up business by the failure of his sense of hearing.
His latter years were occupied in carving marble
monuments, and he died in 1886, aged eighty-
four years, leaving two sons and two daughters.
Marguerite, the eldest, is the wife of Ulrich
Liechty, residing at Polk City, Iowa. Elizabeth,
Mrs. Toggenburger, is living at Bluffton, Ohio,
near which place the younger son, William, also

Jacob Manz, the elder son and third mature
child of his parents, grew up in his native village,
attending the public schools until his thirteenth
year. He was then apprenticed to a firm of wood-
engravers in Schaflhausen, with whom he re-
mained until sixteen years old. Through the
dissolution of partnership of his employers, he
was unable to finish the prescribed term of his ap-
prenticeship, but his natural ability and industry



had already made him a skillful engraver. He
immediately set out for America, crossing the
ocean on a sailing-vessel, and arriving in Chicago
in the middle of July, 1855. He soon found em-
ployment with S. D. Childs & Company, with
whom he continued six years, and was next for
five years in the employ of W. D. Baker, a well-
known Chicago engraver. His long terms in
these connections are sufficient indication of his
faithfulness and skill. After a short period with
Bond & Chandler, Mr. Manz formed a partner-
ship with another engraver and went into busi-
ness for himself, late in 1866.

The firm was known as Maas & Manz, and was
first located at the corner of Clark and Washing-
ton Streets, and was two years later moved to
Dearborn and Madison. While here, Mr. Manz
became the sole proprietor of the business, by
purchasing the interest of his partner, and was a
very heavy loser in the great fire of 1871, realiz-
ing almost nothing of insurance. He had faith,
however, in himself and the city, and very soon
opened a shop on West Madison Street, near
Union, whence he shortly removed to Clinton
and Lake Streets. He subsequently occupied
locations on LaSalle, Madison and Dearborn
Streets, and is now established atNos. 183 to 187
Monroe Street. The business, in the mean time,
has kept pace with the growth of the city and
the improvements in the art of engraving. It is
now conducted by an incorporated company,

known as J. Manz & Company, of which Mr.
Manz is President, F. D. Montgomery Vice-
President, and Alfred Bersbach Secretary and
Treasurer. Every process of engraving adaptable
to the printing-press is carried on, and about one
hundred people are employed in the establish-

The genial and benevolent character of Mr.
Manz has naturally led to participation in the
work of many social and charitable organiza-
tions. He is a member of the Sons of Hermann,
Schweizer Maennerchor, Swiss Benevolent Socie-
ty, Germania Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons, and Gauntlet Lodge, Knights of Pythias,
also of the Royal League and National Union. In
religious faith, he adheres to the Swiss Reformed
Church, and has been a Democrat in political
preference since 1876. His only visit to the home
of his childhood was made in the summer of 1894,
when he made a tour of interesting localities in

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 39 of 111)