John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 42 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 42 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

also in parts of Australia and South America, and
its success is due in a large measure to the untir-
ing efforts and good management of Mr. Bassett.
He is a genial and pleasant gentleman, is very
popular, makes friends wherever he goes, and is
justly deserving of the high regard in which he
is held.


(TAMES ORRA CLIFFORD was born Decem-
I ber 8, 1856, at Salem, Kenosha County,
(*/ Wis., being the son of Emery and Mary Jane
(Osgood) Clifford. He comes of English ances-
try, and his forefathers were among the early set-
tlers of the New England States. His paternal
grandparents, John and Nancy (Ray) Clifford,
were born in New Hampshire. They afterward
settled at Collins, Erie County, N. Y. They were
the parents of eleven children. Emery, the sev-
enth of these, was born at Collins, Erie County,
N. Y., October 21, 1832. In the year 1846 his
parents removed from New York and settled near

Salem, Kenosha County, Wis. His maternal
grandparents, John Sherman and Jane (Orvis)
Osgood, were natives of Brookline, Windham
County, Vt. They were the parents of five chil-
dren. Mary Jane, the eldest, was born at Brook-
line, Windham County, Vt., November 30, 1838.
In the fall of 1851 they removed from Vermont,
settling on a farm near Salem, Kenosha County,

Emery Clifford and Mary Jane Osgood were
married at Salem, Kenosha County, Wis., on
February 8, 1856. They settled on a farm near
Salem, Wis. , where their four children were born.



Emery Clifford enlisted in the First Wisconsin
Heavy Artillery, Company L, and was stationed
at Arlington Heights, near Washington, D. C.,
guarding the United States capital until the close
of the civil war, after which he returned and was
engaged in agricultural pursuits until the autumn
of 1874, when he sold his farm and removed to
Delmar, Clinton County, Iowa, where he still re-
sides. Of his four children, James O. is the eld-
est. Jennie O. resides with her parents. Lurie
E. died unmarried in 1882; and Gay Emery, the
youngest, is married and resides at Arthur, Ida
County, Iowa, where he is the manager of a lum-

The subject of this sketch entered the public
(country) schools at the age of eight years. From
the age of eleven he was employed in assisting his
father with the farm work during the summer, and
attending school in the winter, until the summer
of 1873, at which time he left home, going to
Delmar, Clinton County, Iowa, where he entered
the railway service as a messenger boy and ap-
prentice under his uncle by marriage, William E.
Roberts, who was agent for the Chicago & North-
western Railway Company at that station. Here,
during the following year until October, he learned
telegraphy and the duties of a station agent
generally, and has since been in the employ of
the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company
consecutively, as follows: October, 1874, to Au
gust, 1880, at various stations on the Iowa Divis-
ion as telegraph operator and agent. In August,
1880, while he was stationed at Montour, Iowa,
he was appointed to the position of Traveling
Auditor. In this capacity he traveled over the
entire Northwestern System. On November 7,
1887, he was appointed Freight Auditor of the
Chicago & Northwestern Railway; Fremont, Elk-
horn & Missouri Valley, and Sioux & Pacific
Railroads, with office at Chicago, which position
he holds at the present time. His long continu-
ance in this position, where a thorough knowl-
edge of the intricacies of railway accounting, sys-
tematic supervision, and accuracy in every detail,
are essential, attests his executive ability and
faithfulness. His management in business affairs
is characterized by a progressive spirit, seeking

improved methods and higher efficiency in mat-
ters pertaining to his chosen profession. In har-
mony with this idea he has been a member of the
Association of American Railway Accounting Of-
ficers since its organization, having always taken
an active and influential part in its deliberations,
and having been honored by his fellow-members
with the office of Vice- President of the Associa-

On November 7, 1883, Mr. Clifford married
Miss May Elizabeth Dannatt, who was born at
Low Moor, Iowa, June 25, 1859, and who is a
daughter of Benjamin and Jane (Cortis) Dannatt,
natives of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, England,
respectively. In 1851 her grandfather, Samuel
Dannatt, came from England and purchased five
thousand acres of land in Clinton County, Iowa,
giving to the location the name of his old home in
England, and to his residence the name of Kill-
inghome Hall, after his English estate. They
resided at Clinton, Iowa, until October, 1885, at
which time they removed to Wheaton, 111. , where
they now occupy a pleasant home on Main Street,
corner of Franklin. To them have been given
five children. Grace Edith was born at Clinton,
Iowa, February i, 1885. The other four were
born at Wheaton, DuPage County, 111. Lewis
Dannatt on April 17, 1886; Olive on June 8, 1887;
Marshall Emery on February 26, 1892; and Alice
on April 8, 1893. Mr. Clifford has served two
terms in the City Council of Wheaton as represen-
tative of the ward in which he lives, having de-
clined further honors in that direction.

Mr. Clifford possesses a fine physique, and has
the easy, cordial bearing which makes and retains
friendships. He is of a social disposition and is
prominently identified with numerous fraternal
orders, among which may be named the Masonic,
Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of Amer-
ica and National Union. He attends the Epis-
copal Church, in which Mrs. Clifford is a com-
municant, and gives his political fealty to the
Republican party. Mrs. Clifford is a refined and
amiable lady, who presides over their pleasant
home with easy grace, and aids her husband in
making it a hospitable and attractive abode.




Postmaster of Babcock's Grove, and a prom-
inent citizen of Cook County, was born
in Putney, Vt. , October 19, 1803, and died in
Chicago, February i, 1873. His parents were
Theodore and Dorothy (Wilson) Hubbard. The
family is descended from Edmund Hubbard, who
was born in Hingham, England, about 1570, and
crossed the Atlantic to Charlestown, Mass., in
.1633. He died in Hingham, Mass., March 8,
1646. One of his sons, Rev. Peter Hubbard, a
dissenting clergyman, founded the oldest church
now in existence in the United States, located at
Hingham. He died there January 20, 1679, in
the seventy-fifth year of his age, and the fifty-
second year of his ministry. He was a graduate
of Magdalen College, of Cambridge, England.
Among Edmund Hubbard's descendants are num-
bered many eminent judges, ministers and educa-
tors, and the present Earl of Buckinghamshire,
England, is a descendant of the same family. The
Hobarts, or Huberts, of England came from Nor-
mandy during the reign of William the Conqueror.
The earliest known record of the family locates
them near Dieppe, Normandy, in 1198. They
were a baronial family in Norfolk, England, where
John Hobart resided in 1260. One of his de-
scendants, James Hobart, was made a Knight of
the Sword by Henry VII. in 1504. They were
created baronets in 1611. Our subject repre-
sented the eighth generation in America. The
names of his progenitors in direct line were Ed-
mund, Thomas, Caleb, Benjamin, Peter, Sr.,
Peter, Jr., and Theodore.

Peter Hubbard, Sr., died near Ft. William Hen-
ry during the French and Indian War, of wounds
received in that service. His son was an Ensign
in a New Hampshire company during the Revo-
lutionary War. The father of our subject was
born in Keene, N. H., October 25, 1774, and

died in Hartford, Vt. , February 15, 1814. His
wife died at Babcock's Grove, July 16, 1840, at
the age of sixty -seven years.

Doctor Hubbard was the fourth in their family
of seven children. He was married November
25, 1828, to Anne Ward Ballou, who was born
December 29, 1809, in Deerfield, near Utica, N.
Y. , and was a daughter of Ebenezer and Marana
(Ward) Ballou. The Ward family has an ex-
tensive genealogical history, which can be traced
back to 1 1 30. The name is derived from ' 'Gar' '
or ' 'Garde. ' ' Ralph de Gar, or de la Warde, flour-
ished in Norfolk, England, at the time of Henry

Returning to the personal history of Dr. Hub-
bard, we note that he settled in Chicago May 21,
1836, and about a year later went to DuPage
County, pre-empting a farm near the present vil-
lage of Glen Ellyn. A few years later he was
made the first Postmaster of Babcock's Grove,
keeping the office in his house and bringing the
mail from Bloomingdale on horseback. In 1851,
he returned to Chicago, where he engaged in the
practice of medicine until his death. He had pre-
viously studied for the ministry, but later entered
the medical profession, and as a physician se-
cured a liberal patronage. He also had an ex-
tensive knowledge of law, and was a man of more
than ordinary intellectual ability, although he
had little opportunity for education while a boy.
For several years he served as County Commis-
sioner of DuPage County.

Of the children of Doctor and Mrs. Hubbard,
Augustus, a civil engineer, died in Amboy,
111., in April, 1865. Carlos, manager of a wagon
factory, died in Chicago at the age of forty years.
Oscar died in Groesbeck, Tex., in April, 1877;
Adolphus, who was the founder of the Sons of the
American Revolution in 1879, is now connected
with the California University of San Francisco,

2 7 6


and is a member of muny historical societies. Ed-
ward Clarence, who was a prominent attorney of
Hartford, Ky., died in Chicago, June 27, 1887,
at the age of forty -four years. He was a mem-
ber of the Thirteenth Illinois Infantry during the
late war. Enlisting April 21, 1861, he was dis-
charged June 1 8, 1864, after having participated
in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post,
Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, siege of
Vicksburg, and other engagements. Ellen, who
died soon after her graduation from the Chicago
High School, end I/aura complete the family.

Mr. Hubbard was a life-long Democrat, but all
of his sons support the Republican party. In his re-
ligious views he was a Universalist. Of the first
Masonic lodge of Chicago he was a charter mem-
ber and was made an honorary member previous

to his death. Prominent in public and business af-
fairs, he was an honored and highly respected
citizen, who for many years was connected with
the leading interests of Chicago. His skill and
ability as a physician won him an enviable repu-
tation, and he was widely known as a man of ster-
ling worth. Mrs. Hubbard is an honorary mem-
ber of Chicago Chapter of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, and is honorary Vice- Pres-
ident of the Daughters of 1812. She is also a
member of the Historic Council, which was estab-
lished to keep alive the memories of the men who
gave liberty and fraternity to the western world.
She now resides in Glen Ellyn with her daughter
Laura, who is a lady of intelligence and refine-
ment, and a corresponding member of the Chi-
cago Historical Society.


. NATHAN DYE. No mention of the
LX musical fabric of Chicago and the West can
K) be considered complete without a notice of
Professor Dye, who was endeared to many of the
early families of Chicago. A man who attained
the ripe old age of eighty-three years, he was
beloved by all with whom he came in contact.
He was a pioneer in his chosen profession, and
taught both vocal and instrumental music in
three generations of some families. One of the
secrets of his great success lay in his love of the
divine art, and his ability to so simplify his meth-
ods as to bring them within the grasp of almost
infantile minds.

Nathan Dye was born in the town of De Ruy-
ter, Madison County, New York, June 30, 1808,
and lived on the homestead farm until he was
sixteen years of age. The country schoolhouse
was a mile and a-half away, and the boy attend-
ed school half of each year from the age of seven
to ten years, helping on the farm during the in-
tervals, as was customary with lads of his time.

After this, he had but three months' schooling,
although always a student. When he was twelve
years of age, he met with an accident which
caused a lameness from which he never entirely
recovered. He was married, in 1833, to Miss
Lucy Maria Kinyon, of Milan, New York, and
four years later they removed to Kenosha, Wis-
consin, then called Pike Creek, and later South-

A few years after coming West, Mr. Dye deter-
mined to devote his life wholly to music, which
had hitherto employed but a portion of his time
and energy. In 1844 he introduced his induct-
ive method of teaching in Milwaukee, Wiscon-
sin, by giving a series of concerts there with a
class of his Kenosha pupils. He continued to
teach in Milwaukee, with pronounced success, un-
til 1848, when he settled permanently in Chicago.
His phenomenal power of teaching children to
read music at sight attracted wide attention. For
years his classes, both adult and juvenile, were
a prominent feature of the musical world of Chi-



cago and adjacent cities. A part of his life work
which is full of beautiful memories was that con-
nected with those of his pupils whom he assisted
in the development of musical powers that must
have remained dormant but for this generous and
kindly teacher. How many were placed in con-
dition of self-support along the line indicated by
nature's gift, only their helper knew. Several
of Professor Dye's pupils made brilliant reputa-
tions on the lyric stage and in great oratorios.
He numbered in his early classes some of Chica-
go's most prominent citizens. The well-known
comic opera singer, Lillian Russell, first started
on her musical career under his tutelage. In the
spring of 1880 the Professor was tendered a tes-
timonial and complimentary benefit concert at
Central Music Hall, which his old friends and
pupils made a great success.

In November, 1843, ^ e was bereaved by the
death of his wife, which occurred in Kenosha,
and a year's illness followed this sad blow. The
loss was somewhat compensated by the survival
of his three children for many years thereafter.

His only son, Byron E. Dye, died at Paola,
Kansas in September, 1883, and his remains were
taken to Kansas City for burial. His daughters
are Harriet A. and Frances E., of Chicago, the
former being the wife of N. Buschwah, and the
latter the wife of Gen. C. T. Hotchkiss, who won
his title in the Civil War. This sketch is penned
in loving memory of Professor Dye by Mrs. Hotch-
kiss. In 1855 Professor Dye married Miss Cor-
delia A. Hamlin, daughter of the late Rev. E. H.
Hamlin, once pastor of the First Baptist Church
of Chicago. Twin sons were born of this union.

After thirty-five years of happy wedded life,
they were separated by death only two months,
her demise occurring first. He passed away July
30, 1891, at his home, 383 Park Avenue. He
had been an invalid about seventeen months,
though his final illness was a severe attack of
pneumonia, which his great age made resistless.
His funeral took place Sunday, August 2, at Cen-
tral Music Hall, and his remains were interred
in the family lot at Kenosha, beside those of his
first wife. The funeral services were conducted
by Rev. Thomas G. Milsted, of the First Unita-

rian Church of Chicago, assisted by Mrs. Emma
J. Bullene, a trance speaker and an old pupil of
Professor Dye.

Professor Dye was an advanced thinker in the
line of religious conviction, investigating fear-
lessly and impartially new theories, and listening
gladly to the presentation of truth, as seen by
Christian or unbeliever. He accepted the tenets
of spiritualism, after the most careful and can-
did research, finding satisfaction in its teachings
as given by the scientific writers in that line of
thought. He was a great admirer of Rev. Dr.
Thomas, in whose discourses he found much food
for reflection.

Professor Dye was a descendant of old Revolu-
tionary stock, and imbibed the love of liberty
with his earliest breath. It is not strange, there-
fore, that he was identified with the earliest Aboli-
tion movement, and labored unflinchingly for the
emancipation of the colored man. Fifteen mem-
bers of the Dye family served in the Continental
army, several of them being officers. Among
the number was Gen. Thomas Dye, a personal
friend of Washington and La Fayette, who were
often entertained at his house in Bergen, New
Jersey, during the memorable winter of 1777-78.
Daniel Dye, grandfather of the subject of this
biography, endured the horrors of that winter at
the Valley Forge encampment, his feet being
swathed in rags for protection. He often related
reminiscences of the privations endured by him-
self and comrades at that time. At one time a
number of British officers visited General Wash-
ington under a flag of truce, and such was the
destitution prevailing in the camp that the only
refreshment he was able to offer them consisted
of baked potatoes and salt, which were served on
pieces of bark, in lieu of plates. Daniel Dye
was born in Kent County, Connecticut, February
10, 1744. He enlisted in Captain Beardsley's
company, Seventh Regiment of the Connecticut
Line, May 28, 1777, and was under command of
Col. Heman Sift. He was discharged from that
company February 17, 1778. Prior to entering
the regular service, he was a member of Captain
Fuller's company of militia, and did duty in the
New York campaign of 1 776. He was the father

2 7 8


of eight children, the eldest of whom was John
P. Dye, born May 9, 1768. About 1791 he
moved from Connecticut to western New York.
His wife's name was Sally Rhodes, and Nathan
was the tenth of their eleven children.

Professor Dye was a member of the old Tippe-
canoe Club, and ever maintained the principles

upon which that organization was founded. He
was always thoroughly posted on current political
events and matters of historical interest. Every
movement looking toward the moral and physical
uplifting of humanity in general received his
cordial support and commendation.


"HOMAS TAGNEY, whose death occurred
on the seventh day of September, 1 894, at
897 Seminary Avenue, was one of the early
settlers of Chicago, having first visited this city
in 1836, nearly sixty years ago. He was a native
of Sheffield, England, born May 15, 1818. His
father, Thomas Tagney, was a musician in the
British army, as was also one of his brothers. In
1833 the elder Tagney migrated with his family
to Canada, where he taught music, in which he
was very proficient, for several years. The family
afterward returned to England, but the subject of
this sketch preferred to remain in this country,
and continued for a short time with his uncle in
Canada. Young Tagney was of a restless and
roaming disposition, and desired to see other parts
of the world. He accordingly went into the
Southern States, and was engaged on different
plantations in Alabama and Louisiana, in the vi-
cinity of New Orleans, for several years. Al-
though only a boy in his teens at the time he
went there, he rapidly acquired knowledge that
enabled him to direct plantation work, and he be-
came an overseer. In this employment he earned
good wages, a large portion of which he managed
to save.

Abandoning that life in 1836, he came direct to
Chicago, with a small fortune, which he invested
in North Side property. Two lots, 143 and 145
Illinois Street, for which he paid $600, he still

had in his possession at the time of his death,
and their value had increased to twenty-five thou-
sand. For several years Mr. Tagney was a steam-
boat engineer, and sailed all over the Lakes, from
Buffalo to Duluth On retiring from the lake
service he settled at Muskegon, Michigan, where
he resided five years, and was engaged as engi-
neer in the sawmill there. Returning again to
Chicago, he engaged as mechanical engineer in
the employ of the Fulton & St. Paul Grain Ele-
vators. He superintended the construction of the
former (first known as Munn & Gill's Elevator),
both in its original construction and when rebuilt
in 1873. He was continuously in the employ of
this elevator company for thirty-three years, a
testimony to his regular habits, ability and devo-
tion to the interests of his employers.

At the time of the great fire in Chicago, in 1871,
Mr. Tagney owned houses and lots on Illinois,
Indiana and Wells Streets, which, of course, were
consumed by the element which devastated the
entire North Side. But he had great confidence
in Chicago, and within three months rebuilt the
Illinois Street property, selling the other; this
property being the first house rebuilt. In the
year 1885, having spent the greater part of a long
life in active, arduous and useful labors, Mr. Tag-
ney retired from business and moved to Lake
View, where he remained until his death. In
his later years he bought residence property on





Fletcher, Baxter, North Halsted Streets and Lin-
coln Avenue. In 1847 he was 1 married to Miss
Alice Steele, daughter of Hugh and Mary Steele.
She was born in May, 1828, in Canada, to which
country her parents had immigrated from the
North of Ireland, and died in Chicago on the 7th of
August, 1892, aged sixty-four years. Mr. and
Mrs. Tagney were the parents of seven children,
of whom five grew to maturity. Henry Thomas,
the eldest, was an engineer by profession, and
succeeded to the place made vacant by his father
in the Fulton Elevator. He married Miss Ella
Moore, and died in 1893, leaving a widow and
three children, Henry T., George and Effie.

The second son, James William, is a sign-paint-
er, and resides on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago.
February 27, 1872, he married Miss Kate Casey,
a native of County Cork, Ireland, daughter of
Dennis and Mary Casey. They have four liv-
ing children, Thomas, Charles, Harry and Alice
Marion. Alice Jane, the third child, was married,
in 1873, to William Young, and now has two
children. Hugh, the elder, is a salesman, and
William, the younger son, is an artist. Mrs.
Young conducts a prosperous business on Diver-
sey Street. John E. is an engineer. He married

Ada Weinberg, and has three children, Willie,
Charles and Nellie. Charles S., the youngest son
of Thomas Tagney, is now engaged in the livery
business. He was married, February 18, 1893, to
Miss Hilda Anderson, a native of Sweden; they
have one child, an infant.

Mr. Tagney was one of those men whose busy,
but quiet, lives have been spent in the upbuild-
ing of the great city of Chicago, and in the ac-
cumulation of wealth for his posterity. He was
a man whose temperate life and intensely domestic
characteristics were fit patterns for imitation of
those who succeed him. His disposition was
quiet and undemonstrative, but his impulses were
generous, and he never refused aid to the needy.
In politics he was a Democrat, supporting the
men whom he deemed best qualified for the offices
which they sought, but never asking for place for
himself. In his early life he was a member of the
Baptist Church, but in his later years he cher-
ished liberal ideas. In his investments he was
fortunate, in his domestic life happy, always pro-
viding for his wife and children a comfortable and
pleasant home. His sterling qualities of head
and heart attracted to him many friends, who are
left to mourn his departure from their midst.


GlLONZO J. CUTLER is widely known as
I I one of the most daring and successful brok-
/ | ers operating upon the Chicago Board of
Trade. His transactions are distinguished by a
display of exceptional judgment, discretion and
foresight, which causes his movements to be
watched and commented upon by the whole field
of speculators and investors. It is a notable fact
that the men who have made and retained fort-
unes on the Board of Trade were all of a kind
especially endowed with the trading instinct, or

made wise in the school of experience; and Mr.
Cutler can justly be classed under both these
heads. Every move made by him is carefully
calculated and planned, and all his financial ar-
rangements are faithful to well-grounded princi-
ples of business.

Mr. Cutler first came to Chicago in the spring
of 1869, being then but seventeen years of age.
His cash capital at that time consisted of about

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 42 of 111)