Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 44 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 44 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


vives him and is the mother of the following chil-
dren: Max, a plumber, and Fanny, the wife of
Isadore Weiskopf, of Chicago; Bessie, the wife of
Albert Richmond, of Philadelphia, formerly pro-
prietor of the Standard Theatre of Chicago,
and now sole wholesale agent for the Schlitz
Brewing Company at Philadelphia, where his
wife operates one of the largest photograph gal-
leries; Joseph, a graduate of the public schools of
the West Side Business College, now manager of
his father's estate; and George and Louis, at pres-
ent students at Notre Dame University, Indiana.
Elizabeth, the second, died at eighteen years of
age; Albert, the sixth, at thirteen; and Sarah,
the seventh, in childhood. Mrs. Abrahams'
grandchildren are: Leo Weiskopf and Leroy and
Wilfred Richmond.

Mr. Abrahams' death occurred on the eleventh
day of April, 1894, at his home at No. 3355 For-
est Avenue, which he purchased and occupied in
1891. He was a man of fine appearance and
pleasant address, and his friendship was of that
warm and earnest character which attracted and
held men to him. He was generous, and many
remember with pleasure the time when he was to
them a friend in need. His eminent geniality
and social qualities brought him so closely in con-
tact with his fellow-men that he naturally became
a member of many societies, among which may
be mentioned the Masonic and Odd Fellows' or-
ders, B'nai B'rith, Hebrew Beneficiary Associa-
tion, Sous of Benjamin, Old Settlers' Society of
Chicago, and others. He was prominent and in-
fluential in politics, a member of the Democratic
party, and a man whose counsel had great weight
with his associates in party affairs. He always
refused nominations for office, which were fre-
quently urged upon him, preferring to be a work-
er for the interests of the party to which he gave
his allegiance rather than receive the emoluments
of office. He was not only a genial and popular
citizen, but was the kindest and most indulgent
of fathers and husbands, and was the idol of his
family.



G. S. INGRAHAM.



287



GRANVILLE S. INGRAHAM.



SHERWOOD INGRAHAM,

b youngest of a family of nine, was born May
27, 1824, in Montgomery County, New
York. His father, born April 23, 1782, was a
tanner and currier, who came from England to
the State of Rhode Island in his boyhood, remov-
ing subsequently to the State of New York, where
he became a very prominent Free Mason and was
universally esteemed, dying at the age of seventy-
three. He was one of the claimants of the cele-
brated "Leeds Estate" in England. His mother,
Philinda Taylor by maiden name, was born May
i, 1784, at Hartford, Connecticut, living to the
remarkable age of ninety-two.

Owing to the disability of total blindness which
afflicted his father for the last twenty-five years
of his life, the subject of this sketch, after an or-
dinary education obtained at the Union Mills
Academy, was obliged to leave home at the boy-
ish age of twelve to seek his own fortunes, and
well indeed did he find them. His first employ-
ment was in a merchant's store in New York
City; afterward, returning to Saratoga County,
was engaged in similar pursuits for a period.

At this juncture the turning point of his busi-
ness life was presented. James McKindley, the
veteran pioneer wholesaler of our metropolis, had
spent many happy boyhood days in companion-
ship with Mr. Ingraham; and now, being at the
head of the mercantile house, McKindley, Church
& Co. , thoughtful for and kindly disposed toward
this early associate, offered Mr. Ingraham, in
1856, a position with his house as traveling sales-
man. Losing no time in reaching his new field
of employment, destined always to be his home,
so well did he foresee the requirements of his own
and higher positions, at the same time bending
every energy toward fulfilling more duties than
those imposed upon him, that in an incredibly
short time, namely in 1860, he was elevated to
the standing of a full partner in the firm, there-
after to be styled McKindley, Ingraham & Co.



The next seven years witnessed severest appli-
cation and unremitting efforts upon his part,
gaining him unstinted meed of praise from all
with whom he had to do, wonderfully fruthering
the interests of his concern, but carried to the
excess of personal disability, so that at the end
of the period of which we are speaking, quite de-
bilitated and "run down" in health, he was com-
pelled to leave his office and seek the means of
regaining strength for the following two years.
The firm, in which he still retained his interests,
was burned out by the great fire of 1871, but
being well insured, it declined offers of finan-
cial aid as well as volunteered extension of time
on bills payable falling due. With marvelous
recuperation, being actually engaged in trade
within a week after the burning, and by good
fortune, it was enabled to meet all obligations as
rapidly as they matured.

About this time was organized the wholesale
grocery and tea house of Ingraham, Corbin &
May (now Corbin and May) , with which he was
thenceforth prominently identified in its very suc-
cessful upbuilding, until, in 1884, overtaxation
of mental and physical powers rendered retire-
ment again necessary, this time forced to become
practically final. But his fortune continued to be
thus mainly embarked with his firm, and during
the semi-invalid existence of his slow decline, he
always enjoyed thinking and speaking of trade,
and dreaming the optimist's dream of the golden
days bound to come to the trade when the entire
Northwest was better developed in its vast re-
sources.

The last years were made comfortable by a
portion of the means his industrious ability had
accumulated, the summers being mainly spent in
Chicago, while in winter he sought a less rigorous
climate; now in California, now in Florida, until
finding in Pass Christian, Mississippi, surround-
ings thoroughly congenial and beneficial, he there
bought a home in 1888, that he might regularly



288



G. S. INGRAHAM.



surrendei himself to the delights of the semi-
tropic Gulf Coast. Alas for the brevity of life!
Love may not entice away, nor fortune bribe
against the visitation of grim, universally fated
death. The end came on December 20, 1892, to
a patient, long sufferer, resigned to the will of
God.

In boyhood he had followed family affiliations
with the Christian Church, that being a liberal
and righteous faith; but in maturer years he was
attracted by the stanch tenets and rugged char-
acter of Presbyterianism, and so had been for
many years united with the Hyde Park Presby-
terian Church, in which, wholly obedient, he
passed to a reward of good merits.

In Whig days he was a willing follower of
Henry Clay, but on the breaking up of old lines
and the drawing of new ones, he took and held a .
liberal Democratic attitude, in local affairs sup-
porting the best man, irrespective of party. He
was always deeply interested in parks and other
public improvements, and all educational works
had his generous approbation and furtherance.
Being most happily environed, and strongly do-
mestic in temperament, he cared not for "club
life" or society, so called; yet he was not a re-
cluse, neither, as his friends well knew, was he
at all unsociable.

His first home in Chicago was purchased at
the corner of Prairie Avenue and Eighteenth
Street; removing, in 1872, to Washington Ave-
nue, just south of Fifty-fifth Street, he was en-
gaged in the construction of an elegant mansion
in the immediate neighborhood (No. 5520 Wash-
ington Avenue) , when he was taken away. She
who is left to execute his wishes may long find a
noble employment in the finishing of his ap-
pointed work.

The humanitarian shows out nowhere more
plainly than in his will. Years of affliction had
taught him the needs of the sick, while abundant
means enabled him to intelligently contrast the
wretched condition of the indigent ill. Therefore,
in his last testament, after liberal provisions for
his family and near relatives (not overlooking
generous legacies to several charitable institu-
tions) , he directed that the residue of his estate



should be invested and spent in the founding,
building, usefully equipping and maintaining of
a hospital for the poor sick, to be conducted on as
free a plan as possible. Would that all our wealth
accumulators, circumstanced like unto himself,
could be prompted by as philanthropic motives!
Then would riches become a general blessing in
disguise, and the abyss between the financially
high and low forever kindly bridged. Realizing
that he had few dependents, and that he was
largely indebted to the city of his adoption for his
opulence, he, in this dignified, munificent, last-
ing manner of endowing a glorious charity, con-
ceived that that debt should and would be paid;
and though for a time there be a contest over the
will, while something of doubt exists as to the
ultimate fate of the quarter of a million of dollars
thus bequeathed by Mr. Ingraham to the found-
ing of a hospital, which was to bear his name, let
us trust the law will vindicate itself and our testa-
tor friend's wishes, and that his widow, unswerv-
ingly devoted to the administration of his estate,
may be speedily confirmed in her legal rights as
his representative, and so enabled to proceed un-
der the will-terms toward the completion of the
conceived edifice; and generations to come will
thank the justice of the decree while blessing the
memory of him, their patron and benefactor.

Mr. Ingraham was twice married; (i.) July
14, 1847, to Miss Frances Sarah Foster, of Sara-
toga County, New York, who died January i,
1878, having had as issue a son, Hiram Foster
Ingraham, who died February 10, 1874, leaving
a widow, Fannie Ingraham (nee Wood), and a son,
Granville Foster Ingraham, which latter were
cared for by the subject of this sketch while liv-
ing, and abundantly provided for in his last will.

(2.) December 6, 1 88 1, to Miss Harriette Au-
gusta Foster (sister of his former wife, a daugh-
ter of Hiram Clark Foster), who had no children,
but who was and is the soul of faithfulness toward
him and his house, and appointed as one of the
executors of his will.

(For some details of the Foster pedigree, vide
under sketch of James Mairs Gilchrist, on another
page herein.)

Mrs. Ingraham' s mother was Elizabeth Platt,



NICHOLAS BUSCHWAH.



289



of a family of honorable standing and mention in
Eastern centers. Elizabeth was the fifth child
and daughter of Alexander Smith and Annie
Platt (nee Wakeman, of Greenfield, Connecticut)
and Gal way, New York; Alexander being the
fourth son of Obadiah and Thankful Platt (nee
Scudder, of Huntington, Connecticut), and
North Fairfield, Connecticut; Obadiah being the
fourth son of Obadiah and Mary Platt, nee Smith,
who removed from Huntington across Long Is-
land Sound (with his brother Timothy) , found-
ing the Fairfield branch of the family; Obadiah
was the eldest son of Jonas and Sarah Platt (nee
Scudder), of the "Older Huntington" (Connecti-
cut) branch. Jonas was the second child and
eldest son of Isaac and Elizabeth Platt (nee
Wood) who (with his brother Epenetus) founded
the "Older Huntington" branch. Isaac was



probably born in England, being the third son of
Richard and Mary Platt, who came to this coun-
try from England in 1638, landing at New Haven,
Connecticut, where he afterward acquired valuable
landed possessions. The old family seat, how-
ever, is at Milford, a few miles thence west,
where the first American progenitor is buried,
and where have ever since dwelt the honored de-
scendants.

The English seat of the emigrating branch is
believed to be Bovingdon, a village near Hert-
ford, England. The Herald's College shows
some seven coats-of-arms assigned and granted
to different English families by the name of Platt.

From the foregoing it will be seen that Mrs.
Ingraham, through her mother, represents the
eighth generation of Platts in the United States.



NICHOLAS BUSCHWAH.



BUSCHWAH is, doubtless, the
best informed man living in regard to titles to
Cook County realty. His long experience of
over thirty years in the preparation and examin-
ation of abstracts, together with his reliability and
unquestioned integrity of character, has earned
the confidence and respect of all political parties,
and of investors and business men generally. He
was born amid the romantic scenery bordering
the River Rhine, the place of his birth being the
village of Wahlen, Rhenish Prussia, and the date
of his advent being the iQth of October, 1842.
His parents, Nicholas and Marie (Dewald)
Buschwah, were natives of Germany, of French
extraction. The father was a carpenter and
builder by occupation. In 1844 he sold his beau-
tiful home and grounds in the land of his birth
and emigrated with his family, which then in-
cluded four children, to the United States, in or-



der to secure to them the blessings of political
and religious liberty. He located in Chicago,
where he followed his trade until death, January
24, 1864. His wife survived him several years,
dying at the age of seventy years. They em-
bodied the regular habits and sturdy character
for which our German citizens are conspicuous,
and left to their posterity sacred memories and a
good name. Seven of their children survive and
are residents of Chicago. Margaret, the eldest,
is now Mrs. John Woltz; Catherine is the widow
of Caspar Koerper; and the others are Matthew,
Nicholas, John, Peter and Jacob. One died in
childhood, and Mary, who was the wife of Mi-
chael Schwiser, passed away May 4, 1877.

The subject of this notice received his primary
education at the Kinzie School, then the only
public school in North Chicago, and known as
Alden G. Wilder 's School. He afterward became



2oo



NICHOLAS BUSCHWAH.



a student at the Franklin School, Daniel C. Fer-
guson Principal, and completed the course of
study at the age of fifteen years, the Chicago
High School not being built at that time. He
then entered the real -estate office of James H.
Rees, to learn the real-estate business, and subse-
quently he entered the office of Rees, Chase &
Company, abstract makers, with whom he began
his clerical career, serving their interests for eight
years, during which time the style changed to
Chase Brothers. He became very proficient in
the preparation of abstracts, and after the ter-
mination of his engagement with this house he
served one year as money-delivery clerk in the
office of the American Express Company. This
was a responsible and arduous position, and he
often handled a million dollars in a single day.
He was next employed by Fernando Jones &
Company, the well-known abstract makers, whose
office was then located at No. 42 Clark Street.
He remained with this firm four years, filling the
place of chief abstract maker, after which he was
employed in the office of the City Comptroller up
to the time of the great fire of October 8 and 9,
1871. During the period immediately subsequent
to that catastrophe he assisted the Chicago Relief
and Aid Society as chief clerk and paymaster of
the Third Division of the city. For two and one-
half years thereafter he was an assistant in the
office of the City Clerk. At this time the firm of
Williams & Thielcke sought his services in the
conduct of their abstract office, and when, in Sep-
tember, 1885, their books became the property of
Cook County, he continued with the work, re-
maining in the employ of the county over seven-
teen years making the first abstract turned out
by the county and was chief abstract maker in
the department of abstracts in the Recorder's of-
fice throughout this period. During his long ex-
perience in the examination and production of
abstracts, he has becomes familiar with all the
details and technicalities of the business, and has
prepared more instruments of the kind than any
other individual.

In April, 1893, he resigned his position in the
Recorder's office, since which time he has con-
ducted an independent business as examiner of



titles, in connection with which he does a general
loan, real-estate and investment business. The
extensive acquaintance which he has formed dur-
ing his connection with this line of work brings to
him an ample and lucrative patronage, and many
large investors find it to their advantage to en-
trust to him the conduct of their financial trans-
actions. For many years past he has conducted
a loan and real-estate agency in connection with
his other undertakings, and has displayed such
judgment and discretion in placing funds entrust-
ed to his care that he has never found it necessary
to foreclose a mortgage or trust deed. His integ-
rity, justice and fairness are recognized alike by
creditors and debtors, and every man who forms
his acquaintance through a business transaction
becomes a permanent friend. By his shrewd
management many a poor and delinquent debtor
has been saved from total loss, while the interests
of the creditor have been at the same time fully
protected.

On New Year's Day of 1868 occurred the
marriage of Mr. Nicholas Buschwah to Miss Har-
riet A. Dye, daughter of Prof. Nathan Dye,
whose life history appears on another page of this
work. She was born at Truxton, Cortland Coun-
ty, New York, and at an early age began to de-
velop a talent and taste for music, taking her first
lesson from her father at the age of three years.
At fourteen she became a teacher of music, and
for many years previous to her marriage gave
instruction in both vocal and instrumental work,
often assisting her father in the conduct of his
classes and concerts. Ida A., the only child of
Mr. and Mrs. Buschwah, is a graduate of the
Chicago Conservatory of Music, and a teacher of
recognized ability in musical circles. She is the
wife of Leroy Grant, with whom she resides at
Laramie City, Wyoming.

For many years Mr. and Mrs. Buschwah were
members of Unity Church of Chicago, the soci-
ety established by Rev. Robert Collyer, who con-
ducted the ceremony at their wedding and the wed-
ding of their daughter, Ida A. They are among
the original members of the Independent Liberal
Church, organized by Rev. T. G. Milsted in Oc-
tober, 1894. It is a society founded upon prin-



GEORGE DEARLOVE.



291



ciples of benevolence and Christian brotherhood.
Mrs. Buschwah is one of the trustees of the soci-
ety, and both she and her husband are enthusiastic
and active in good works. She is a member of
Chicago Chapter, Daughters of the American Rev-



utive Board of the Twenty-first Ward Republican
Club, and has been a life-long supporter of the
principles of that party, and numbers among his
friends many of the leading citizens of Cook
County, irrespective of political or other connec-



olution. Mr. Buschwah is a member of the Exec- tions.






GEORGE DEARLOVE.



EORGE DEARLOVE, a prominent pioneer
of Northfield Township, now living in Chi-
cago, was born in Harrowgate, Yorkshire,
England, in May, 1824. He is the only surviving
child of Richard and Hannah (Matterson) Dear-
love, who in 1836, with their family, came to
America, settling in Northfield Township, Cook
County, where they became the owners of an ex-
tensive tract of land on Milwaukee Avenue.
This tract, which is still retained in the family,
includes several of the finest and most productive
farms in Cook County, well supplied with first-
class improvements.

The children of Richard and Hannah Dear-
love were Mary, William, Peter, Richard,
Thomas, George and Hannah, all of whom be-
came leading citizens of Northfield Township,
but, as stated above, are now deceased, with the
exception of George. The latter became the
owner of several fine farms in Northfield Town-
ship, but in 1885 removed to Chicago, where he
has since dealt in real estate, his long acquaint-
ance with the county giving him an intimate
knowledge of land values which has helped him
materially in his business.

Mr. Dearlove was married in 1872 Miss Mary
A. Dwyer, daughter of Peter and Maria Dwyer,
of Newport, Herkimer County, New York, be-
coming his wife. Mrs. Dearlove, who is a lady
of refinement and ability, acquired her primary



education in the public schools of Herkimer
County, and later attended a select school at New-
port for one year. She then took a three-years
course at Fairfield Seminary, and still later at-
tended the State Normal School at Albany, New
York, but did not finish the course on account of
sickness. From the age of seventeen years she
was engaged at intervals in teaching. She came
to Cook County in the year 1867, and taught for
several years after her arrival, she and her sister
being the first teachers of the Normal System in
Cook County.

March 5, 1888, Mrs. Dearlove graduated from
Bennett Eclectic College of Medicine and Surgery,
with the degree of M. D., and afterwards grad-
uated from the Chicago College of Ophthalmia
and Aural Surgery. Since her graduation she
has practiced her profession with marked success,
and has won the confidence of the public and of
her associates to a most flattering degree. Dr.
Dearlove holds membership in the Chicago Eclec-
tic Society, and in the State Eclectic Medical So-
ciety, and during the progress of the World's
Columbian Exposition was in charge of the Illi-
nois Woman's Hospital at the Exposition
grounds.

To Mr. and Mrs. Dearlove were born the fol-
lowing children: George M., whose biography
appears elsewhere in these pages; Thomas, a
student at the North- Western Military Academy;



292



JOHN CRAWFORD.



and Mabel H. In his religious adherence Mr.
Dearlove is a member of the Church of England,
and in his political leanings he is a Republican,
though not a strict partisan, and never an as-



pirant for public honors. He is a successful
farmer and business man, and he and his family
enjoy the esteem of a large circle of acquaintances.



JOHN CRAWFORD.



(JOHN CRAWFORD, deceased, was for years
I connected with the business and official in-
O terests of Cook County, and was a prominent
and representative citizen. He was born in Buf-
falo, New York, October 14, 1832, and died in
Chicago on the ist of February, 1894. His father,
Peter Crawford, is mentioned elsewhere in this
work. John spent the first twelve years of his
life in the Empire State and then accompanied
his parents on their removal to Chicago. Here
he became his father's assistant in the lumber
trade, and was thus employed until nineteen
years of age, when he entered Knox College, at
Galesburg, Illinois, where he pursued a prepara-
tory course of study. Later he entered Hamilton
University (now Colgate University) of Hamil-
ton, New York, and when his literary education
was completed he taught in Cicero Township,
Cook County, for several years.

At the age of twenty-four Mr. Crawford began
reading law in the office of Judge Buckner S.
Morris, of Chicago. He did not complete his
legal studies, but yet obtained a knowledge of law
which proved of great benefit to him in his sub-
sequent business and official transactions. For
many years he dealt largely in real estate, hand-
ling not only his own subdivisions at Crawford
Station, but also much other property. He served
for several terms as Supervisor of Cicero Town-



ship, also as Trustee and Assessor, and in numer-
ous other local offices. He was County Commis-
sioner for two terms, being a member of the Board
at the same time with Carter H. Harrison, about
the beginning of the latter' s political career. They
were elected on the ' ' Fire Ticket, " as it was
called, the election being held soon after the great
fire of 1871.

On the 22d of August, 1861, Mr. Crawford was
united in marriage with Miss Adelaide F. Neff,
daughter of William and Olive Neff, of Chicago,
and a native of Buffalo, New York. When a little
maiden of six summers she came with her par-
ents to this State. Her father died in March,
1887, but her mother is still living in Chicago.
To Mr. and Mrs. Crawford were born three chil-
dren: John H., a real-estate dealer of Chicago;
Florence, who is now deceased; and Genevieve.

Mr. Crawford was a member of the Millard
Avenue Baptist Church, and the family still at-
tends that church. He belonged to the Masonic
fraternity, and in his political affiliations was a
Republican. He was a man of earnest convic-
tions and conscientious motives, and by straight-
forward dealing and uniform courtesy he won the
good-will of all with whom he came in contact.
Probably no man in Cook County had fewer



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 44 of 111)