Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 45 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 45 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


enemies.



C. P. BRYAN.



293



CHARLES P. BRYAN.



/TJHARLES P. BRYAN was bora in Chicago,
1 1 Octobers, 1855. His childhood was spent
\J at Elmhurst, where his parents took up their
residence in 1856. Young Bryan completed his
education at the University of Virginia and the
Columbia Law School. He was admitted to the
Bar in Washington, D. C., in 1878. The follow-
ing year he removed to Colorado, where he en-
gaged in mining and in editorial and literary
work. He edited the Denver Inter Ocean and the
Colorado Mining Gazette, which he owned, and
was elected President of the Colorado Editorial
Association in 1884. A year after his arrival in
the Rocky Mountains he was chosen to represent
Clear Creek County in the Legislature, of which
he was the youngest member. He was Chairman
of the Railroad Committee. As champion of the
people against monopolies, he was called the
"Plumed Knight of the Rockies." He had a
voice in every Republican State convention during
his sojourn in Colorado, and stumped the State
for Elaine. Twice he was urged by the slate-
makers, but declined to allow his name to be pre-
sented to the Republican State Convention as a can-
didate for Secretary of State. The probable nom-
ination for Lieutenant-Governor was also offered
him as an inducement to remain in Colorado.
Filial duty, however, called him back to Illinois
in 1885.

In 1890, Col. Bryan was, unsolicited, nominated
for the Legislature and elected. In 1892 he was
re-elected to represent DuPage County. His chief
efforts in the Legislature have been directed to-
ward ballot reform, World's Fair and National
Guard measures, and those locally of interest to



his constituents. As a boy, he entered the First
Regiment of Illinois National Guards, and has
nearly ever since served in the State troops of Illi-
nois or Colorado, having been commissioned Aide-
de-Camp by four Governors. Col. Bryan is now
on the general staff of the Illinois National
Guard. His occupation is that of contributor to
newspapers and magazines, his line of work be-
ing editorial, historical and descriptive.

The paternal and maternal families of the sub-
ject of this sketch, the Bryans and the Pages, set-
tled in Virginia about 1660. They intermarried
with the Lees, the Carters, Barbours, Crawfords
and Penns. Daniel Bryan, the grandfather of
Charles, made speeches in the Senate of Virginia
as far back as the ' 303 advocating the abolition
of slavery. On account of his pronounced Union
views he endangered his life at Alexandria at the
beginning of the late war. His son, Thomas B.
Bryan, came to Illinois in 1852. As a member of
the Union Defense Committee, as president of the
Soldiers' Home and Sanitary Fair, and in aiding
to equip regiments for the war, he constantly
showed his loyalty to the Union. Company H
of the One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Infantry,
composed of the flower of the youth of DuPage
County, was called the "Bryan Blues" in honor
of the liberality of Thomas B. Bryan. As cham-
pion of Chicago for the site of the World's Fair in
speeches made in Washington and other cities, as
Vice-President of the Columbian Exposition, and
as Commissioner-at- Large to Europe, Mr. Bryan
has won international fame. His son has seconded
him in all these efforts. Famous men from all
over the world have been entertained at the



294



A. F. HATCH.



"Bird's Nest," the Bryans' home. Edward Ev-
erett, President and Mrs. Harrison, the Logans,
Blaines, Cardinal Gibbons, princes, nobility and
ministers and commissioners from nearly every



land have been guests at this beautiful home,
whose hospitalities have helped to give renown to
Elmhurst and to DuPage County.



AZEL FARNSWORTH HATCH.



Gl ZEL FARNSWORTH HATCH, a promin-
I_| ent and well-known attorney-at-law of Chi-
I I cago, living in Lisle, was born on the 6th
of September, 1848, in Lisle Township, DuPage
County, and was the fifth in a family of six chil-
dren born to James C. and Charlotte (Kidder)
Hatch. He remained upon the home farm until
sixteen years of age, and attended the public
schools of the neighborhood, there acquiring his
primary education. In 1867 he entered Oberlin
College, of Oberlin, Ohio, where he continued
his studies until 1870, when he became a student
of the senior class in Yale University. In 1871
he was graduated from that institution, after
which he accepted the principalship of the High
School of Sheboygan, Wis., where he continued
for a year.

Mr. Hatch arrived in Chicago in 1872, and be-
gan the study of law in the office of Shorey &
Norton, attorneys, with whom he continued for
about two years, when, in September, 1874, he
was admitted to the Bar. In December following
he entered upon the practice of his profession, and
during the first year was associated with Messrs.
Norton and Hulburd, under the style of Norton,
Hulburd & Hatch. In 1880 he formed a part-
nership with O. F. Aldis, and under the firm
name of Hatch & Aldis these gentlemen con-
tinued business for several years, when the part-
nership was dissolved. Mr. Hatch is now alone
in business. He has been very successful in his
legal practice and has won an enviable reputation
therein.



On the sth of February, 1880, our subject was
united in marriage with Miss Grace H. Greene, of
Lisle, daughter of Daniel Greene, of DuPage
County. By their union were born four daugh-
ters: Alice V., Helen, Laura and Grace P. All
are still with their father. The mother's death
occurred in Chicago, on the i8th of April, 1886.

Mr. Hatch is a Republican in political sentiment,
but is not strongly partisan, and has never been
an office-seeker, preferring to devote his entire
time and attention to his legal practice and other
business interests. He is connected with various
important concerns of the city. He is one of the
Directors and owners of the Chicago Herald and
the Chicago Evening Post, and is also one of the
exchequer committee of the Equitable Trust Com-
pany of Chicago. He is a Director of the United
Press, and is also connected with several other
enterprises. He has been a member of the Board
of Directors of the Chicago Library for three
years. He had charge of the organization of the
committees of the World's Fair and of the first
meeting of the stockholders. This was one of
the most wonderful corporations ever formed, as
there were at that time over twenty-eight thou-
sand stockholders. He took an active part in
promoting the interests of the World's Columbian
Exposition, and did all in his power toward mak-
ing the Fair a success. He is a well-known and
leading citizen and a worthy representative of the
enterprise and progressive spirit which have made
Chicago the second city of the Union.



' 'MY

THE
UNIVERSI ' OF ILLI








X d



P. D. ARMOUR.



295



PHILIP DANFORTH ARMOUR.



DANFORTH ARMOUR, who is
yr known throughout the world through his
^9 extensive business interests, is also widely
known for his efforts in behalf of his fellow-men.
While his financial gains have been great, he has
not neglected opportunities for devoting a fair
proportion to benevolent and educational work.
Through his generosity and fostering care, the
Armour Mission, originally established in 1881
by a bequest of $100,000 from his brother, Jo-
seph F. Armour, has grown to cover a very wide
extent of educational and philanthropic work, be-
ing permanently endowed and supplied with ade-
quate buildings and apparatus and a large corps
of instructors. This institution is recognized as
a powerful factor in the city's literary develop-
ment, and one of Mr. Armour's benevolent works
is thus made too prominent to be hidden. Of his
many private and quiet acts of charity the world
will know but little.

Philip D. Armour was born in Stockbridge,
Madison County, N. Y., on the i6th of May,
1832, being one of a family of six sons and two
daughters given to Danforth Armour and Juliana
(Brooks) Armour, his wife. The parents left
Union, Conn., in September, 1825, and settled at
the above-named place, where they engaged in
farming. The paternal ancestors were of Scotch-
Irish lineage, and were early established in this
country. The maternal progenitors were, no
doubt, of English blood, though they must have
early renounced allegiance to the mother coun-
try, as we find them honorably mentioned for
acts of daring in the struggle for American inde-
pendence.



Amid the simple surroundings of a New York
country home, P. D. Armour and his brothers
and sisters grew to maturity, imbibing the frugal
and industrious habits which have been handed
down from New England, and have done so much
to develop and husband the resources of the
United States. Wherever the New England
spirit has been prevalent, schools, churches and
manufactories have risen simultaneously, and so-
ciety has rapidly advanced in the arts and sci-
ences. The mother of this family was noted for
a joyous disposition, and under her loving care its
members grew up in a strong affection one for
another, and readily adopted habits of cheerful
industry, which led them all to material success.

Circumstances so favored Philip that, in addi-
tion to the district school, he was privileged to
attend the village academy. Here he became a
leader in both sports and studies, and it was con-
sidered a privilege to belong to his "set," for he
early developed a perseverance and determination
that carried through whatever he undertook.
His ambition had already looked beyond the nar-
row limits of a country hamlet, and when the dis-
covery of gold in California became a topic of gen-
eral interest throughout the country, he eagerly
joined a company which proposed to make the
overland trip to the land of gold. They left
Oneida, N. Y., in the spring of 1852, and reached
their destination after six months of toilsome and
dangerous journeying. Not all the dreams of all
the Argonauts were realized. They found the
country full of desperate adventurers, who had
everything to gain and nothing to lose, with lit-
tle or no law to restrain them. Here the habits






29 6



P. D. ARMOUR.



and ideas absorbed in early life by young Armour
served him well. He went to work, and after
four years of moderate success, in which the sal-
ient points of his character were more fully
brought out, he returned for a short visit with his
parents and the companions of his youth.

After a visit of a few weeks at his native place,
he again started West, and located at Milwaukee,
Wis., where he entered into partnership with
Frederick B. Miles in the grain and commission
business. To this business he gave his time and
energies, with the result that it flourished and
gave him a high standing among business men.
In 1863, the firm was dissolved, and in the
spring of that year he formed a connection which
gave ample scope to his energies and abilities,
and hastened his pecuniary advancement. This
was a partnership with John Plankinton, a wide-
ly-known merchant and provision dealer, who
had been long established at that point, and the
new firm engaged extensively in pork-packing
for the market. At this period, the tendency of
prices was ever upward, because of the large de-
mands and limited supply made by the Civil War,
and business prospered with Plankinton & Ar-
mour. Herman O. Armour, a brother of the
junior partner, had established himself in the
grain and commission business at Chicago in
1862, and three years later he was induced to
take an interest in and charge of a New York
branch, under the style of Armour, Plankinton &
Co. At the same time, the Chicago business of
H. O. Armour & Co. was placed in charge of Jo-
seph F. Armour, and so continued until 1870.
In 1868, Armour & Co. began packing meats in
Chicago, and two years later absorbed the busi-
ness of all the Armour brothers in this city. In
1871, Armour & Plankinton established a pack-
ing-house at Kansas City, under the supervision
of Simon B. Armour, who gave the same judi-
cious and active care to its interests which have
characterized all the business undertakings of the
Armours. In 1883, the Kansas City business
was assumed by the Armour Packing Company,
in which Kirkland B. Armour was the leading
spirit. For four years previously it had been op-



erated by the Armour Brothers Packing Compa-
ny, with Andrew Watson Armour as President.

In 1875, P. D. Armour came to Chicago, and
from this center of the provision business has ever
since manipulated the business of the several
plants. The extent of this can be judged from
the fact that the distributive sales of the Chicago
branch exceed the receipts of any single railroad
corporation in the world. Mr. Armour has as
yet relaxed but little of his labor, and is found at
his desk at seven o'clock in the morning directing
business. To all he is most affable and courte-
ous, and he is regarded by his friends as the most
genial of men. His only departure from atten-
tion to his private business consisted in the ac-
ceptance of a directorship in the Chicago, Mil-
waukee & St. Paul Railroad, at the earnest re-
quest of his friend, Alexander Mitchell, of Mil-
waukee, now deceased. He has been a stock-
holder in the Milwaukee Mutual Fire Insurance
Company, and many other enterprises which de-
served and needed his sanction and support. The
simple habits and healthful surroundings of his
boyhood gave him a vigorous physique, which,
seconded by a sound constitution, has enabled
him to perform wonders in the line of business,
and he still possesses a wonderful vitality, which
promises many more years of labor to him. He
is ably assisted by his sons, Jonathan Ogden Ar-
mour and Philip D. Armour, Jr. , who have proven
themselves apt pupils in the school of business in
which their sire is past master.

Mr. Armour was married at Cincinnati, Ohio,
in October, 1862, to Miss Belle, only daughter of
Jonathan Ogden. Starting in life with the same
sound New England training, Mrs. Armour has
been a true sharer in the labors and successes of
her husband. The family is affiliated with the
Plymouth Congregational Church, in the work of
which strong organization Mr. Armour takes a
deep interest and bears his due share. If the am-
bitious American youth seeks an example worthy
of his emulation in the struggles of life, let him
study the qualities which have made Mr. Armour
financially successful, and which have led him to
share his prosperity with those around him.



T. E. LEWIS.



297



THOMAS EDWARD LEWIS.



"HOMAS EDWARD LEWIS, a self-made,

enterprising and progressive citizen of Whea-
ton, is one of the pioneers of Illinois, hav-
ing come to the State with his parents in 1839.
He is a native of Swansea, Wales, born on the zd
of July, 1826. His ancestors were prominent in the
military service of Great Britain, and were among
the most ancient in that country. His grandfather,
Joshua Lewis, was a farmer, and lived to be over
ninety years old, being succeeded on retiring by
his son Joseph, father of Thomas E. Lewis, all
being born on the same farm. Joseph Lewis
married Margaret, only daughter of Thomas Rob-
erts, a neighboring farmer. Beside this daugh-
ter, Mr. Roberts had two sons, John and Thomas.
The former was a very stalwart specimen of
manhood, being six feet and six inches in height.
He led the choir in the Independent Church near
his home.

As above stated, in 1839 Joseph Lewis came
with his family to America. Proceeding at once
to West Northfield, Cook County, 111., he pre-
empted a quarter-section of land, on which he
passed the balance of his life. His wife died in
her seventy-first year, and he lived to see his
eighty -eighth. Of their thirteen children, twelve
grew to maturity, the third dying in Wales, and
nine are now living. Following are their names:
Joseph, Mary, Elizabeth, Thomas, Evan, John,
William, Sarah, David, Charles, Eli, Maria and
Margaret. The eldest mastered Hebrew, Greek,
Latin, navigation and surveying before he was
twenty years old, and became a Methodist Epis-
copal clergyman. He died at the early age of
twenty-seven years, at Norwood Park, 111., where
he was buried, though his home was at Beloit,
Wis., where he built the first Methodist Church



of that city. David and Mary are deceased, and
William is a resident of Portland, Ore. Charles
is practicing medicine in Chicago.

Thomas E. Lewis attended school in his native
place till he was nine years old, when he went to
work. His first week's wages were eighteen
cents, which he kept as a souvenir for many
years. With the exception of about a quarter's
attendance at night school in Chicago, the balance
of his education has been supplied by contact
with the world, and he has proved a most apt
pupil. Nature blessed him with a sound mind
and constitution, and he is considered one of the
solid men whose presence in the community is a
blessing, for his judgment is correct and he has
the courage to carry out his convictions. With
no early advantages, with no aid save his own in-
dustry and adherence to an ideal, he has amassed
a modest competence, and has earned the respect
and good-will of his fellows.

The old proverb says, "Where there is a will,
there is a way," and one morning in the spring
of 1843 young Lewis set out on foot for Chicago
to find the way, his capital on starting consisting
of fifty cents. His feet becoming sore from the
action of a pair of new and stiff boots, he made a
bargain with a teamster bound for the city to
carry him thither for eighteen cents. Arriving
on South Water Street, he came opposite the
lumber-yard of Sylvester Lynd, the first person
to whom he had spoken after alighting, and he at
once engaged to work in the lumber-yard at such
remuneration as Mr. Lynd found him worth after
trial. This was soon fixed at $i 2 per month, and
in addition his kind employer provided him with
a new suit of clothing, complete, in order that he
might attend Sabbath-school. He soon made



298



T. E LEWIS.



himself familiar with the lumber business, and
was promoted to the position of inspector, with a
corresponding salary. He remained in the city
for seven years, being for a short time in the em-
ploy of the late Deacon Philo Carpenter, a well-
known pioneer of Chicago.

In the spring of 1850 Mr. Lewis took a help-
mate, in the person of Miss Margaret, daughter
of Edward and Elizabeth Jones, all of Bala,
Wales, where the family has dwelt for many gen-
erations on the same farm, called "Nanthir," and
which is still occupied by some of its members.
Mrs. Thomas J. Evans, a pioneer of Racine, Wis. ,
is a sister of Mrs. Lewis. Mr. Lewis immediately
took his bride to a farm of his own at Arlington
Heights (then called Dunton), Cook County,
where he broke up and improved wild land and
got a good start in the world. He remained
there eighteen years, serving continuously as
School Director, and then removed to Blue Is-
land, in the same county, and continued his agri-
cultural pursuits, being there also a school officer
for six years. Beside farming, Mr. Lewis has
dealt extensively in lands, and is a large owner
of Chicago and Hyde Park real estate, as well as
numerous farms. He dwelt two years in Engle-
wood, and removed thence on the ist of May,
1891, to Wheaton, where he built a handsome
home on an eminence near College Avenue Station.
He still occupies himself with the care of his large
farms near Wheaton, though he finds time to give
attention to all matters of public concern, especi-
ally education, on which his judgment is emi-
nently sound and. practical. He has striven to
equip his children for the battle of life, and six of
his daughters are graduates of the Cook County
Normal School, and successful teachers.

Like all true Welshmen, Mr. Lewis is proud
of his native land, its people and their achieve-
ments, though this does not detract in the least
from his loyal American spirit. He is a Director
and Treasurer of the Cambro Printing Company,
of Chicago, which publishes a Welsh and English
newspaper called Columbia, the largest of its kind
in the world. For a short time Mr. Lewis was
President and General Manager of this company,
but as soon as it was firmly established he re-



signed those positions, because he could not de-
vote his time to them. When it was found neces-
sary to provide a bond for the payment of prizes
offered for competition in the International Ei-
steddfod, in Festival Hall, at the World's Colum-
bian Exposition, Mr. Lewis, with true patriotic
spirit, came forward and gave his personal secur-
ity for $12,500, which was ultimately paid out of
the receipts of the festival, thus justifying his
faith in his compatriots and the Fair.

In religious matters, Mr. Lewis is liberal and pro-
gressive. He attends the Congregational Church
with his entire family. In political concerns, he
adheres to the Republican party, because he be-
lieves it rests on true underlying principles, but
has never found the time nor had the inclination
to seek preferment. He took a deep interest in
the public school management, because he had a
large family to educate, and gave much time to
this interest, always insisting on the conduct of
the schools with a sole view to the public welfare,
sometimes making enemies by his course, but al-
ways triumphing in the end. He is now serving
as Alderman from the Second Ward of Wheaton.
He is a member of the Welsh Society, Cymrodo-
rion, and the League of American Wheelmen, he
being an expert bicycle-rider.

On the 6th of May, 1889, death entered the
home of Mr. Lewis and took the kind, faithful
wife and mother, leaving, beside the bereaved
husband, seven of her nine children to mourn her
absence. The eldest of these, Margaret J., wife
of George H. Brewster, of Wheaton, died July 9,
1891. Joseph W. resides at Blue Island, where
he is engaged in manufacturing; and Sarah M.,
who for some time held the position of Critic
Teacher at the Cook County Normal School, is
now her father's housekeeper. Alice U., wife of
James H. Kerr, resides at Amsley, Neb., and is
prominent in temperance and Sunday-school
work, making frequent public addresses in their
behalf. Mary A., Mrs. William H. Hoar, died
a few weeks before her mother. Cora E. gradu-
ated at the Blue Island High School, at the
Cook County Normal (being valedictorian of the
two-years graduating class), and at Oberlin Col-
lege, Ohio. She is now Principal of the Belle



R. S. GOUGH.



299



Plaine School in Chicago, and Chairman of the
Executive Committee of the Illinois State Teach-
ers' Association. She makes frequent addresses
on educational topics, and was chosen to conduct
the model school which served as a World's Fair
exhibit near Jackson Park, and carried it through
successfully. Ada I,., widow of J.W. Bannerman,
with her son Tommy, resides with Mr. Lewis.
Edward J. is engaged in the real-estate and fire-
insurance at Wheaton, 111. Grace May (often
called Minnie) is pursuing a medical course at
the Woman's College in Chicago.

Mr. Lewis is a frank, whole-souled gentleman,
with refined instincts and manly self-respect,



which forbid his doing a mean or low act, and his
conversation is always cheerful and entertaining.
Out of a ripe experience, he has gathered a large
stock of general and useful knowledge. Now, in
his sixty-eighth year, he is in the full vigor of a
temperate and well-spent life. He has a closely
knit frame, weighing one hundred and ninety
pounds, and has promise of an extended continu-
ance of an existence which has blessed himself,
his family, and the community at large. When
his time comes to lay down the active duties of
life, which have been a perennial source of pleas-
ure, he can safely consign the good name that he
has won to the care of a worthy posterity.



RICHARD S. GOUGH.



RICHARD S. GOUGH, Manager of the Postal
Telegraph Cable Company at the stock yards
in Chicago, although doing business in the
metropolis of the West, makes his home in Turner,
preferring the quiet of a small town in which to
spend his leisure hours. England has furnished
a number of valued citizens to DuPage County,
among whom is our subject. He was born in
Buckingham, England, February 6, 1844, and
his parents, James and Ann (Scott) Gough, were
also natives of the same country. The paternal
grandfather was an English farmer, and spent his
entire life in his native land. The maternal grand-
father, William Scott, who was also an agricul-
turist, was a member of the regular militia, and
was an Episcopalian in religious belief. He



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 45 of 111)