Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 46 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 46 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


reached a very advanced age.

James Gough was an extensive farmer of Buck-
inghamshire, and died in the land of his birth in
1851, at the age of forty -two years. His wife
long survived him, passing away in 1892, at the
age of eighty. They were both members of the
Episcopalian Church. He was one of the parish



officials, and belonged to the Royal Bucks Yeo-
manry, a cavalry association. In the Gough
family were three sons and three daughters, but
only two are now living: Richard S. , and Re-
becca, who is now a resident of Great Marlow,
England.

Richard S. Gough left his native land in 1859,
at the age of fourteen years, and, coming to Amer-
ica, located in Brooklyn, N. Y., where he spent
one winter. The next summer was also spent in
the Empire State, and in 1861 he made his way
westward to Chicago. He there enlisted in the
war, in the telegraph service, and served for two
and a-half years, when he was discharged on ac-
count of sickness. After the war he went to Dixon,
111., as telegraph operator, spending one year
at that place, and going thence to Bureau Junc-
tion, where he served in the capacity of operator
for two years. His next location was in Musca-
tine, Iowa, and subsequently we find him in
Wilton Junction, Iowa, where he was employed
as agent for the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad
Company, remaining in that place until 1867.



300



EDWARD HAMMETT.



That year witnessed his arrival in Chicago, and
saw him employed in the Chicago Union Stock
Yards, as chief operator in the office of the West-
ern Union Company. In May, 1872, he was ap-
pointed manager of the office, which position he
filled until 1881, when he resigned to accept the
position of manager for the Mutual Union Com-
pany at the stock yards. With that company he
remained until 1883, when the two companies
consolidated, and he then accepted the position of
manager of the Postal Telegraph Cable Company,
which he has filled to the present time, employing
two assistants. He now has charge of thirty-
seven men, and the business has increased from
$3,600 to $200,000 per year.

On the 8th of June, 1864, Mr. Gough wedded
Miss Sarah E., daughter of E. H. and Jane (Sher-
man) Ketcham. Seven children have blessed
this union, two sons and five daughters. Ger-
trude, the eldest, married Connell Sheffler, who is
engaged in business in the stock yards in Chicago,
and they have two sons, Richard and Rankin.



Julia is the next younger. Jennie is the wife of
Charles E. Trescott, a printer of Choteau, Mont.,
by whom she has two children, Gertrude and
Richard. The other members of the family are
Alice, Rea and Raymond. One died in infancy.
The family occupies a pleasant home in Turner,
which is the property of Mr. Gough, who also
owns several town lots. He is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, of the Modern
Woodmen, and of the Telegraphic Mutual Benefit
Association. For about two years he was Presi-
dent of the School Board in Turner, and dis-
charged the duties of that position with the same
fidelity which has characterized all his affairs,
both public and private. He now occupies a very
responsible position, and that he discharges his
duties faithfully and well is manifest by his long
continuance in the service. He is a man of good
business ability, honorable and upright in all his
dealings, and has the confidence and good-will of
those with whom he has been brought in contact.



EDWARD HAMMETT.



ITDWARD HAMMETT, Cashier of the
j^ coin National Bank, Chicago, and a resident
L f Wheaton, is descended from an old New
England family of English origin. His great-
grandfather, Nathan Hammett, spent his life in
Newport, R. I., where he had an estate on the
harbor front, which he divided at death between
his surviving sons, Edward and Nathan. He
passed away July 18, 1816, and his wife, Cathar-
ine Yates, of Providence, R. I., survived him
many years, dying February 17, 1837.

Edward, eldest son of Nathan Hammett, was a
builder and vessel-owner, interested in the whal-
ing industry, and passed his life at Newport.
He died about 1858, being upwards of eighty



years old. His wife, Amy Lyon, was of English
descent, and was, like himself, a native of New-
port. They had five sons and two daughters.
Albert, the youngest of these, is still a resident of
Newport, being seventy-two years of age, and
being still, as always, engaged in the lumber
trade, occupying the site of his grandfather's es-
tate on the harbor front. For a few years he
dwelt at New Bedford, but returned to Newport
in 1853. His wife, Sarah Swasey, was born in
Salem, Mass., and was a daughter of Alexander
Swasey, a captain in the merchant marine service,
making voyages to China. Through her mother,
Mrs. Hammett was descended from Jerathmel
Bowers, who came from England about the mid-



EDWARD HAMMETT.



301



die of the seventeenth century, and settled on the
Taunton River, near Somerset, Mass. He was
an extensive shipbuilder and slave-owner, and
built a magnificent mansion near his shipyards.
On account of its commercial surroundings, this
is now an undesirable residence property, and is
used as a tenement for laborers.

Edward Hammett was bom at New Bedford,
Mass., June 26, 1848, and was reared at Newport.
He attended the public school and a private school
there, and a business college at Providence, but
left school at the age of fifteen years, and has
since been actively engaged in business. He
was employed for a time in the Newport postoffice,
and later in his father's lumber office. With an
ambition to be numbered among the citizens of
the growing West, he set out for Chicago at the
age of nineteen. He secured employment as a
clerk with S. H. McCrea & Co., grain and
produce commission dealers, and remained in
their employ fourteen years, which is a strong
testimonial to his ability and faithfulness. For
several years subsequently he was a partner in the
firm of W. F. Johnson & Co. , in the same line of
business. He was one of the original stock-
holders and corporators of the Lincoln National
Bank, and was one of its first officers, and after
two years in other business, resumed his connec-
tion with that bank, of which he is now Cashier.
In the spring of 1883 he became a resident of
Wheaton, and purchased sixteen acres of land,
with a handsome mansion facing College Avenue,
at the corner of President Street. This house
occupies an elevation commanding a view of the
city of Wheaton and surrounding country, and is
an ideal home in which to rear a family.

On November 28, 1870, in Chicago, Mr. Ham-
mett married Miss Mary E. Culver, who is a
native of that city. Her parents, John Breese
Culver and Margaret A. Boyd, were born in New
Jersey, and the city of Leith, Scotland, respec-
tively, the latter being a daughter of John and
Jeannette Boyd. Mrs. Hainmett's paternal grand-
father, Phineas Culver, was born March 17, 1764,
in Bernard, Somerset County, N. J. His father
came from Shrewsbury, England, to Bernard when
an old man, and Phineas was early left an orphan.



With three elder brothers he joined the fortunes
of the Continental Army, being employed for sev-
eral years as errand boy, and carrying a musket
at last. He settled at Horseheads, N. Y., and
became wealthy, owning five hundred acres of
land, but he refused to employ slave labor, as did
many of his neighbors. His wife, Phoebe Breese,
was a daughter of John and Hannah (Gilder-
sleeve) Breese, the former one of the first set-
tlers at Horseheads, N. Y. , and his wife a scion
of an old Protestant-Irish family. John, father of
John Breese, was born in Shrewsbury, England,
in 1713, and settled at Bernard, Somerset County,
N. J., in 1735. His wife, Dorothy Riggs, was
also a native of Shrewsbury. John Breese, their
son, was born at Bernard in November, 1738.
Hannah Gildersleeve was born in June, 1 750, and
they were married June 30, 1769, a date which is
supposed to have followed his settlement at Horse-
heads. Phcebe and Deborah Breese, their twin
daughters, were born in February, 1773. From
the Breese family are descended many noted
American citizens, among whom may be men-
tioned the late Judge Samuel Sidney Breese, Chief
Justice of the State of Illinois; Samuel Findlay
Breese Morse, inventor of the electric telegraph;
and Samuel Sidney Breese, Rear- Admiral of the
United States Navy, who was buried at Newport.

John B. Culver, one of the prominent early
citizens of Chicago, now resides with his daugh-
ter, Mrs. Hammett, at Wheaton. The children
of the latter, nine in number, are as follows:
Albert, a student in the medical department of
the Michigan University at Ann Arbor; Llewel-
lyn; Edith May; Edward; Helen; Amy; Law-
rence; -Dorothy and Margaret. The eldest mar-
ried Mary lone Cook, of Chicago.

Mr. and Mrs. Hammett are communicants of the
Methodist Church, and in many ways are active
in furthering the best interests of the community.
Their home bears many evidences of refined and
cultivated taste, arid is the domicile of a happy
and well-trained group of children, the central
figure being the cheerful wife and mother. Mr.
Hammett has never taken a prominent part in
political affairs, but has always adhered to the
Republican party, as the advocate and admiuis-



3 02



P. P. MATTHEWS.



trator of sound principles of government. He
has served as a member of the Town Council of
Wheaton, and is now a Trustee of the Adams
Memorial Library. Without any sound of trump-



ets, he proceeds daily to perform to the best of
his ability his duty to himself, his family and his
fellow-men.



PASCHAL P. MATTHEWS.



[~}ASCHALP. MATTHEWS, one of the highly

LX respected citizens of Hinsdale, who well de-
[3 serves representation in the history of his
adopted county, is a native of the Empire State.
He was born in Herkimer County, August 3,
1811, and is a son of Edmund and Lucy (Mc-
Clelland) Matthews, the former of French descent,
and the latter of Scotch lineage. Edmund Matth-
ews was twice married, and by his first union
had a son, Charles. By the second, there were
five children: Henry; Lucy, deceased, wife of
Reuben Wellington; Paschal P.; Emery, and
Lucretia, deceased, wife of Myron Everetts. In
early life the father of this family was a carpenter,
and helped to build the first market-place in Bos-
ton. Later, however, he followed agricultural
pursuits. He served during the War of 1812, as
Quartermaster, and died on his farm in New
York September 2, 1848, at the age of seventy-
three years. His wife survived him some time,
and passed away February 17, 1862. They held
membership with the Presbyterian Church in
Mexico, Oswego County, N. Y.

Mr. Matthews whose name heads this record
spent his boyhood and youth upon his father's
farm, remaining at home until he had reached his
twentieth year, when he began to earn his own
livelihood. Later, he attended school for a few
months, and then engaged with a stage company
for ten years. He was afterward for nearly ten
years captain of a packet-boat on the Erie Canal,
running between Syracuse, Schenectady and Utica.
With the hope of bettering his financial condi-



tion, he determined to come to the West in 1859,
and, carrying out this resolution, took up his
residence in Chicago. He embarked in the grain
business, and was connected with the Board of
Trade for many years, continuing operations along
this line until 1883, when he retired from active
business.

On the 2 1 st of May, 1840, Mr. Matthews wedded
Miss Louisa Vinton, and they became the parents
of one child, a daughter, Alice, now the wife of
Nelson R. Davis. The mother died in 1891, since
which time a niece of Mr. Matthews has been
keeping house for him.

For many years our subject has been a mem-
ber of the Odd Fellows' fraternity. In early life
he exercised his right of franchise in support of
the Whig party, but on its dissolution joined the
ranks of the new Republican party and has since
fought under its banner. It was in 1889 that he
came to Hinsdale, where he has a beautiful home
and ten acres of valuable land within the corpora-
tion limits of the town. He has now reached the
age of eighty-two, but his years rest lightly upon
him, and he is still strong and active. His eyes
are bright, his mind clear and keen, and he is a
good and rapid penman. While not a church
member, he has always attended religious services
and contributed liberally to church and benevo-
lent work. He is a man of fine physique and
excellent carriage, and bids fair to live for many
years to come. His life has been honorable and
upright, and his many friends hold him in high
regard.



' THE
UNIVERSI.. OF ILLI MIS




MARSHALL FIELD



MARSHALL FIELD.



303



MARSHALL FIELD.



I ARSHALL FIELD, the merchant prince of
Chicago, who believes in sharing his pros-
perity with his fellow-citizens, comes of the
hardy New England blood which has done so
much toward developing the whole northern half
of the United States. He was born in Conway,
Franklin County, Mass., in 1835, and is a son of
a farmer of that town. His early life differed
none from that of lads of that time and region.
His education was supplied by the local public
school and academy, and his attention was early
turned toward a mercantile career, which accord-
ed best with his tastes and ambition.

The student of human progress, and the youth
who seeks an example worthy of his emulation,
in the struggle for success will find in the career
of Marshall Field one more proof that the road
to prosperity is a plain and narrow path, which
lies open to almost every American youth. With
no capital other than an active brain and the en-
ergy of youth, he laid the foundation of a mag-
nificent estate, and a firm adherence to a simple
rule of business has enabled him to complete the
superstructure. He has never borrowed money,
and has always insisted on the same rigid com-
pletion of contracts on the part of others which
has characterized his own actions.

At the age of seventeen, young Field went to
Pittsfield, in his native State, where he spent four
years as clerk in a general store. Having thor-
oughly mastered the details of the business, he
began to look about for a field that promised a
wider opportunity for a young man. At that
time (1856), Chicago was a city of about sixty
thousand people, and he resolved to cast his lot
in the growing town, which showed an energy
that promised a rapid development. On his ar-



rival in Chicage, he at once secured employment
in the wholesale dry-goods house of Cooley,
Wadsworth & Co., which soon after became
known as Cooley, Farwell & Co. Though
he occupied a subordinate position, his ability
and familiarity with business soon became appar-
ent to his employers, and at the end of four years
he was taken into partnership, and the largest
house of its kind in the West became Farwell,
Field & Co. In 1865 this firm was dis-
solved, and Mr. Field entered into a partnership
with Potter Palmer and L. Z. Leiter, under the
title of Field, Palmer & Leiter, which connection
continued two years, at the end of which time
Mr. Palmer withdrew, and the house was hence-
forth known as Field, Leiter & Co. until
1881, when, upon the withdrawal of Mr. Leiter,
the style became Marshall Field & Co., and
has so continued. For almost thirty years Mr.
Field has been the head of the firm, and under
the operation of his simple business rules it has
steadily prospered. In 1868 the business was
located at State and Washington Streets, where
the buildings and stock were totally consumed in
the great fire of 1871, entailing a loss of three
and one-half millions of dollars. After serious
delays, and with much difficulty, two and one-
half millions of this were collected from the insur-
ance companies, and with a dead loss of one mill-
ion dollars, the business was continued, being
temporarily located at State and Twentieth
Streets, while the rebuilding of the house at State
and Washington went on. This has been grad-
ually increased in size by purchase and construc-
tion until it covers more than one-half of the
block bounded by State, Washington and Ran-
dolph Streets and Wabash Avenue. In the year



304



J. A. DOLLINGER.



1893, the portion covering the southeast corner
was constructed, embodying every essential of
comfort and convenience known to the modern
builder's art. The wholesale department was
separated from the retail in 1872, and removed to
the corner of Madison and Market Streets. This
location was soon found inadequate foivthe needs
of the business, which was continually increasing,
and in 1885 the construction of a building for the
wholesale business was begun on the block sur-
rounded by Fifth Avenue and Franklin, Adams
and Quincy Streets. This was completed in 1887,
and at once occupied, and continues to be the
model of its kind for the whole world.

Such, in brief, is the record of achievements.
Let none ask for further details. To the subject
of this biography all publicity is extremely dis-
tasteful. The public demands all the knowledge
obtainable, some from motives of mere curiosity,
others from honest desire to benefit from the ex-
perience of a successful man. If one would em-
ulate his example, let him adopt the same rules
of life: Always pay cash, never give a note or
mortgage, labor steadily, and never speculate
or spend anything idly. In the conduct of
the great wholesale house of Marshall Field &
Co., goods are purchased for cash and sold
on short time. Customers are strictly required
to meet their payments, and are thus led to be
cautious in contracting obligations, and prompt
in their cancellation. By this method, the house
retains the trade of the best and most success-
ful merchants, and the interests of all are con-
served. Under this safe and wholesome system,



the trade has grown to the annual dimensions of
$35,000,000. The pay-roll of the two stores in-
cludes from 3,500 to 4,000 persons, and to all of
these, as well as any who may have business with
him, Mr. Field is always accessible. With a won-
derful power of organization, and the ability to
gauge the qualifications of his subordinates, he
encourages each by uniform kindness and consid-
eration, and all are most loyal and faithful aids
in the prosecution of business.

Mr. Field's home is the seat of quiet luxury,
with no ostentation. He goes little into society,
but takes a deep interest in the welfare of the city
of his home, and responds liberally to all just
calls upon his purse, though much of his benevo-
lence is secretly bestowed. When the estab-
lishment of the new University of Chicago was
made possible by the liberality of Mr. Rockefeller
and others, Mr. Field donated a valuable tract of
city ground as a part of the site. This gift seems
all the more liberal in view of the fact that the
institution is controlled by the Baptist Church,
while Mr. Field is a Presbyterian. After the
World's Columbian Exposition was closed, the
people of Chicago began to agitate the idea of
preserving as much as possible of the exhibits in
a permanent home, which was made possible by
Mr. Field's gift of one million dollars. On the
second day of June, 1894, this institution was
formally opened, under the title of " The Field
Columbian Museum, ' ' with a few simple ceremo-
nies, and its benefits are likely to extend to many
generations and many millions of the American
people.



JOHN ANTON DOLLINGER.



q



OHN ANTON DOLLINGER, a traveling
salesman residing at Wheaton, is numbered
_, among the early residents of DuPage County,
and has made his own way in the world since he
was ten years of age. He was born in Baden,



Germany, on the 24th of December, 1845, and is
the eldest child of Christopher Dollinger, a native
of the same place. His mother died when he was
an infant, and when he had arrived at the age of
twelve years his father brought the four children



D. N. CHAPIN.



305



to America. The second child, Adelaide, Mrs.
George Rieser, resides in Naperville Township,
DuPage County. Christopher, Jr., is a resident
of Colorado Springs, Colo. ; and Margaret, Mrs.
Luther, dwells in Fredericksburg, Neb. Chris-
topher Dollinger engaged in farming in Naper-
ville Township, where he died in 1873, aged
about sixty years.

From the time of his arrival in America, our
subject has been independent of parental aid in
supporting or educating himself. He took em-
ployment in a hotel and meat-market kept by his
maternal uncle, Nicholas Graff, at Danby, now
Glen Ellyn, attending school a portion of the
time, and continued in this way until the death
of his uncle. He was afterward employed in a
general store until 1862, when he entered the
military service, as a member of Company I, One
Hundred and Fifth Illinois Infantry, in defense
of the American Union. This service continued
about three years, and involved a participation in
many of the most decisive battles of the war. Mr.
Dollinger was mustered out at Washington in
June, 1865. While in front of Chattanooga, he
was excused from duty on account of illness, but
refused to leave his comrades, and remained at
the front to the finish.



Since 1 867 Mr. Dollinger has been in mercan-
tile business, and for some years kept a grocery
in Chicago. For the last seventeen years he has
traveled in the capacity of salesman, and twelve
of those years have been passed in the service of
his present employers, Franklin MacVeagh & Co.
In 1872 he became a resident of Wheaton, and
he is the owner of a handsome brick residence on
Wesley Street, near Scott. He takes an active
interest in the social affairs of the town, being a
prominent member of the Grand Army of the Re-
public and Knights of Pythias, as well as a genial,
magnetic gentleman, whose friends are numbered
by his list of acquaintances. He entertains lib-
eral religious views, and is an ardent supporter
of the principles of the Republican party.

In 1868 Mr. Dollinger married Miss Emagene
C. Wicks, who was born in Carthage, N. Y., and
bears in her veins the blood of the principal Eu-
ropean settlers of New England and New York
French, English and Dutch. Her parents
were Stutley and Ann E. (Strong) Wicks, the
former being a son of Stutley Wicks, whose wife's
maiden name was Treadway. Three children
complete the family of Mr. and Mrs. Dollinger,
namely: Anna W., Charles A. and William.



DEACON NEWTON CHAPIN.



0EACON NEWTON CHAPIN, deceased,
a prominent resident of northeastern Illinois,
was a man widely and favorably known.
He was born in Chicopee, Mass., April 17, 1821,
and was a son of William and Lucy (Day) Chapin.
The family is descended from Deacon Samuel
Chapin, who emigrated from England about 1640.
He was one of the seven men who founded Spring-
field, Mass., and was prominent in the govern-
ment of that town for many years. Twenty



thousand of his descendants contributed to the
erection of a monument to his memory in Spring-
field a few years since. His direct descendants
now number fifty thousand people, about three-
fourths of whom are professed Christians, many
of them being widely known in church work and
other fields of labor. The family is indeed an
honored one.

Newton Chapin spent his boyhood upon a farm,
aiding in the labors of the fields from an early



306



D. N. CHAPIN.



age. His school privileges in youth were limited,
but, wishing to acquire a good education, he at-
tended Andover Academy after reaching the age
of twenty-one, meeting his tuition with money
saved from his wages as a mechanic. Leaving
school, he engaged in carpenter work in Spring-
field, and followed that occupation and bridge-
building until 1856, when he decided to seek a
home in the West, hoping thereby to benefit his
financial condition. Coming to Illinois, he located
in Chicago. The previous season he spent a few
months in St. Louis, Mo. In 1867, he removed
to Lombard, where he made his home until 1874,
when he returned to Chicago. In this city Mr.
Chapin was engaged in bridge and depot building,
his first contract being the building of the first
Van Buren Street bridge. He was associated
first with William B. Howard, and later with D.
L- Wells, and built many bridges for the Chicago,
Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and other corpor-
ations. He was the inventor of the "Newton
Chapin Clamp and Key' ' for truss bridges.

In the great fire of 1 87 1 , he lost all his property,
but managed to pay off his creditors in full, al-
though he never afterward became a wealthy man.



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 46 of 111)