Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 49 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 49 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


American citizen, and with eminent success.
He died on Sunday, February 3, 1895, having
succumbed to an acute attack of bronchitis, which,
combined with other difficulties, burst the bonds
of life.



PHILIP PETRIE.



PHILIP PETRIE.



PETRIE. One of the most interest-
yr ing German historical mementos now in our
\S city is hanging upon the wall of a modest cot-
tage on North State Street. It represents, in the
oil colors of a foreign artist, a superb specimen of
manhood, with gorgeous helmet and breastplate,
mounted upon a fiery charger, bedecked with all
the brilliant trappings becoming those who were
to escort royalty itself, whenever it rode abroad
in imperial Berlin. Beneath is the inscription,
"Philip Petrie, Garde Cuirassier bei der 2er Es-
cadron des Konig's Preusch Regiment."

Philip Petrie, the hero of this sketch, was born
on the seventh day of October, 1814, at Neun-
kirchen, near Trier, Prussia. His father was J o-
seph, a veterinary surgeon, who was the son of
Louis Petrie, a farmer.

Philip was given a fair education, and then set
to learn the trade of a blacksmith. At twenty
years of age he was called, according to the cus-
tom ot his native country, to do his turn at mili-
tary duty. Being of remarkable physique, stand-
ing fully six feet two inches in height, and being
well proportioned, he was selected for the Cuiras-
sier Guards, the King's favorite regiment, which
was a picked body, carefully selected from the
most desirable men in the whole army. And,
indeed, strength was necessary for the bearing of
their armament, which included a breastplate
weighing thirty-four pounds and a helmet of four-
teen pounds' weight, enough in itself to unfit an
ordinary man for action. After a year and a-half
of sen-ice, he was made one of the mounted at-
tendants of the then crown prince, the lately de-
ceased Kaiser Wilhem; and in the years 1834
and 1835 was frequently detailed in charge of a
detachment of guards, as an escort to the imperial
chariot when it was driven abroad through the



gay capital. It is easy to see in one's mind what
a dashing picture he must have made; and, no
doubt, many a Gretchen went to her dreams
thinking that the cuirassier was her ideal of a
husband; and such, indeed, he turned out to be to
the fortunate one whom Heaven had decreed
should be his life-long devoted companion.

After three years of military life, he returned
to his native town to resume his calling of a
blacksmith. Soon after he met and won his wife,
whom he wedded February 7, 1838. Her maiden
name was Katherine Laux, and she was born in
Grosslosheim, Germany, November 18, 1818, her
father being Peter Laux, a blacksmith, who mar-
ried a Miss Barbara Rohrmann. Peter Laux
was a son of Peter Laux, Senior, a lumberman.
Miss Rohrmann' s parents were Matthias and
Bretter Rohrmann. Deciding in 1840 to come to
America, Mr. Petrie took passage, with his wife
and her parents, at Havre, on a sailing-vessel
called the "Kontoullanter." After a stormy pas-
sage of forty-three days, they arrived at Castle
Garden, New York City, whence they proceeded
by canal-boat to Buffalo, thence via steamer ' 'Wis-
consin" to Chicago, which they reached on the
eventful day for the little party and their numer-
ous descendants, August 24, 1840.

Mr. Petrie' s first work was upon the Gov-
ernment Pier, then being built; and afterward
he was in the service of the late Ashel Pierce, the
first agricultural implement manufacturer in our
city. Then he began a long and honorable ca-
reer in connection with the municipal govern-
ment of the day. A member of the police force
under "Long John" Wentworth, he was raised
to Sergeant under John C. Haines, and Lieuten-
ant under Levi P. Boone and Thomas Dyer. In
1850 he was appointed Jailer in the "Old Log



320



PHILIP PETRIE.



Jail," then situated at the corner of La Salle and
Randolph Streets, in which he continued for a
period of fourteen years, during the administra-
tions of Sheriffs William C. Church, C. P. Brad-
ley, Charles M. Geary and Tim B. Bradley. For
a number of years preceding his death, Mr.
Petrie, having become well off, lived a life of quiet
retirement, honored and esteemed by an unusu-
ally large circle of acquaintances.

His speculative mind naturally turned to real
estate. One bargain , which he regretted later that
he did not cling to with greater pertinacity, was
the purchase for $150 of the entire block bound-
ed by the present streets of La Salle, Randolph,
Lake and Fifth Avenue, paying $10 to bind the
bargain. Tht land being then only a "swamp
hole," his mother made such an outcry at what
she thought would turn out to be a bad invest-
ment, that he forfeited his first payment and never
went on with the deal. It is historically inter-
esting to compare that amount of money with
what the present owners of the block (one of the
choicest in our city) would be likely to ask for it,
if approached at this date.

He built the first (a log) house on North State
(then called North Wolcott) Street, using it for
a residence as early as 1842. Soon after coming
to Chicago, Mr. Petrie invested in a piece of land
on Dearborn Street, which resulted in making
him quite wealthy, his rent-roll at one time be-
ing, for the day, quite considerable. But his
property in houses was swept away by the great
fire of 1871, leaving but little insurance; and had
it been insured in the local companies, it would
not have been of much benefit, as most of them
were compelled by the wholesale losses to go into
bankruptcy. But he set about with such deter-
mination that he soon made it all, or more, up
again.

Some time after the Big Fire, he acquired a
valuable piece of property on North State Street,
where, at No. 273, he built a modest home, which
he called his homestead, and where he lived for
the last twenty years of his life. Here he cele-
brated his golden wedding, February 7, 1888;
and here, after a lingering illness, he passed
away to his final rest, November 30, 1890, at the



good old age of seventy-seven, fifty-one years of
which had been honorably spent in the city of
Chicago.

The deceased was one of the founders and
stanchest members of the St. Joseph Catholic
Church, under whose auspices the obsequies were
held, which were attended by a number of the
leading members of that sect in the city, and
then interment was made in St. Boniface Ceme-
tery. He had worked well, he had established a
good family to bear on his name in this new coun-
try, and the recent death of a dear son had even
further resigned him to the mortal passing of the
spirit.

For many years he was a prized member of the
German Old Settlers' Society, at one of whose
annual picnics Mr. Petrie and his wife, as the
oldest couple present, in length of life in Amer-
ica, were awarded a gold medal. Mrs. Petrie, at
the Turngeminde picnic of 1883, was also given
a gold medal for being the oldest lady settler
present. This is now much treasured by a grand-
daughter.

Mrs. Petrie survives her husband, filled with
charitable thoughts, whose expressions have been
so many and valuable that she is known for them
all through the city. Although rather infirm in
health, it is hoped by her many friends that she
may long be spared for their delight and counsel.
Eleven children have blessed their union, of
whom three were taken in childhood. The fol-
lowing is a brief account of them:

Charles S. was born September 25, 1840, and
is Assistant Marshal and Secretary of the Chicago
Fire Department, having charge of all machinery,
engines and repair shops belonging thereto. He
has been with the department ever since 1861,
before that time having been employed as an en-
gineer upon Mississippi River steamboats. He
married Miss Martha Morton, of Nashville, Ten-
nessee, by whom he has nine living children:
Philip, Nicholas, James, George, Charles, Jr.,
Louis, Mary, Mattie, Florence and Rosa.

Matthias P. was born September 15, 1842. His
first business experience was with Berger, Ruh-
ling & Company, wholesale toys, later traveling
for a time for White & Company, wooden and wil-



B. F. HEAD.



321



low ware. He then started a grocery at the
corner of North Clark and Division Streets. After
the fire of 1871, he became a member of the
Board of Trade, from which he turned his atten-
tion to the malting business with great success.
He now has a large malt house at Burlington,
Racine County, Wisconsin, where he resides.
He married, November 15, 1864, Miss Katherine
Weidinger, of this city, by whom he is at present
the father of three children: Edward, unmarried,
and an engineer in the Chicago Fire Department;
Otto and Emma. Barbara, the next of the pa-
rental family, was born September 18, 1844, and
died January 15, 1868.

Nicholas, who was born on the 7th of Novem-
ber, 1846, was married, on the 24th of Sep-
tember, 1878, Miss Julia Schoen, of Chica-
go, by whom he has two promising children,
Cora and Katherine. He was with the One Hun-
dred and Thirty-second Illinois Regiment in the
Army of the Tennessee in 1864 and 1865, and
acted some time as Orderly for Generals Paine
and Pickett. He was in the Chicago Postoffice for
a term of twenty-one years, having been the Super-



intendent of Foreign Mails when he resigned. He
is now a wholesale and retail liquor dealer.

Michael, born October 14, 1848, is unmarried,
and in the real-estate business, in which calling
he is one of the oldest in the city, having formerly
been in partnership with Mattocks & Mason.
Joseph B., born October 24, 1855, was in the
Chicago Postomceas Superintendent of the North
Division Postal Station, but of recent date with
Kirk Brothers, as collector. He married Miss
Laura Schlegel, of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, by
whom he is the father of two children, Walter
and Gertrude. Katherine, born February 26,
1857, married George Hack, a large wagon man-
ufacturer of Crown Point, Ind. ; she died Novem-
ber 18, 1890, without issue. George Philip, born
November 2, 1 859, was a bookkeeper for his broth-
er Michael; he died, single, September 17, 1891.

The full account of the life of the first Ameri-
can progenitor and his descendants to this date
will surely be welcomed by members of the fam-
ily, both born and unborn; and his face is herein
preserved for the pride of friends and relatives
for all time to come.



BENJAMIN F. HEAD.



gENJAMIN FRANKLIN HEAD, an early
resident of Illinois, was born in Hillsbor-
ough, Ohio, September 30, 1842. His par-
ents, William W. and Sarah (Bidamon) Head,
were natives of the same town. The Head family
is of English ancestry. Their first American
progenitors settled on the east shore of Maryland
previous to the Revolutionary War. William
Head, grandfather of the subject of this notice,
who was probably born in Maryland, became one
of the pioneers of Highland County, Ohio, where
his wife's father was killed by Indians during the
border struggles in which the early history of
Ohio abounds.



In 1856 William W. Head moved, with his fam-
ily, to Macomb, Illinois, where the balance of his
life was spent upon a farm. His death occurred in
1891, at the age of eighty -six years. His wife
died at Macomb, December 14, 1892, at the age
of eighty-four years and five months. She was
born in Winchester, Virginia, and went to Ohio
with her parents during her childhood.

Benjamin F. Head attended the public schools
of Hillsborough and Macomb. At the age of
eighteen years, he left home and came to Chicago,
securing employment as brakeman on the Illinois
Central Railroad. Being a youth of regular hab-
its and punctual character, he gained promotion



322



K. D. REDINGTON.



successively to freight and passenger conductor.
He served in the last-mentioned capacity for seven
years, being employed in the suburban service.
He had charge of the first Hyde Park suburban
train, and made occasional trips on through trains.
His efficiency and faithfulness won the confidence
and esteem of the officials of the corporation, and
he was in a fair way to further promotion when
he resigned his position in 1880. He then began
dealing in real estate in Chicago, and has been
successful in that line. His operations include
all kinds of city and suburban property, and he is
well known among holders and investors.

He was one of the original members of the Old
Reliable Railroad Conductors' Association, of
Columbus, Ohio, but abandoned that organiza-
tion in 1879, when he became identified with the
Conductors' Mutual Aid and Benefit Association
of the United States and Canada, of which organ-
ization he is now one of the Directors. He was
one of the early members of Chicago Council No.
58, National Union, and has served as Treasurer



and Vice-President thereof, and is one of the
Trustees of the Oakland Methodist Church. In
the building of the property of the latter organiza-
tion, he was an active worker and contributor of
his means.

He was married in 1868 to Mary E. Work,
daughterof John C. Work, of Hillsborough, Ohio.
Two sons complete the family of Mr. and Mrs.
Head, named Harry and Paul F. , the former being
employed in the office of the Rookery Building.

Since 1873 the family residence has been on
Drexel and Oakwood Boulevards. Mr. Head has
been a life-long advocate of Republican principles,
and has frequently served as clerk and judge of
elections. In 1889, during President Harrison's
administration, he was appointed the first Super-
intendent of the Hyde Park Postal Station, but
resigned that position at the end of fourteen
months, owing to private business cares requiring
his attention. He is an energetic and public-
spirited citizen, and enjoys the esteem and friend-
ship of a large circle of acquaintances.



EDWARD D. REDINGTON.



ITDWARD DANA REDINGTON, a weii-

rp known resident of Evanston and business
I man of Chicago, son of Edward C. and Caro-
line D. (Stearns) Redington, was born November
12, 1839, at Chelsea, Vermont. He was educated
in the public schools of Chelsea and at the St.
Johnsbury Academy, whence he went to Dart-
mouth College, graduating from that famous in-
stitution with the Class of 1861. After graduat-
ing he was a teacher in St. Johnsbury Academy
for one year, and in the winter of 1863-64, he
served as Assistant Cashier of the Passumpsic
Bank.

From 1862 to the close of 1865 Mr. Redington
was actively engaged in the defense of the Union.



He enlisted in the Twelfth Vermont Volunteers
August 23, 1862, and was Sergeant-Major to Feb-
ruary 23, 1863, and afterward Second Lieutenant
of Company I until mustered out July 14, 1863.
On the 24th of February, 1864, President Lin-
coln appointed him additional Paymaster, United
States Volunteers, with the rank of Major, and he
remained on duty with the Army of the Potomac
until June 24, 1865, when he was ordered to
Springfield, Illinois, to pay mustered-out troops.
He served there until November 30, 1865, at
which date he was discharged from service.

From 1866 to 1871 he was employed by the
Kansas Pacific Railroad Company as cashier and
paymaster, residing successively at Wyandotte,



,




(From Photo by W. J. ROOT).



JAMES B. KELLOGG.



J. B. KELLOGG.



323



Leavenworth and Lawrence, Kansas. In 1871
he engaged in the lumber trade at Lawrence, con-
tinuing that busines there until 1875, when he
removed to Chicago. For the next twelve years
he followed the same business in this city. Since
1888 he has been connected with the Provident
Life and Trust Company, of Philadelphia, Penn-
sylvania, in its Chicago agency. These several
positions, and his continuance therein, indicate
his superior executive faculty, as well as persist-
ence and integrity.

Mr. Redington has been twice married, the
first union being with Mary Ann, daughter of
Ephraim and Mary Ann Chamberlin, of St.
Johnsbury, their wedding taking place there No-
vember 15, 1864. Mrs. Redington died in April,
1880, leaving three children, who still survive,
namely: Lizzie Stearns; John Chase and Paul
Goodwin, twins. The second marriage occurred
on the 1 8th of May, 1882, the bride being Mary
Julia, daughter of Ezra and Julia R. Towne, of
Topsfield, Massachusetts, by whom he has one
child, Theodore Towne Redington. The family
affiliates with the First Congregational Church
of Evanston, where they have resided since 1884.



Mr. Redington has been prominent in the
Grand Army of the Republic, serving as Aide on
Commander Veazey's staff in 1891. He is a
member of the Illinois Commaudery of the Loyal
Legion, of the Western Society of the Army of
the Potomac and the Sons of the American Revo-
lution. He has been President of the Chicago
Alumni Association of Dartmouth College, was
President of the Chicago Association Sons of
Vermont for 1894, an< i on the 22d of January, of
that year, he was elected President of the Chi-
cago Congregational Club for the ensuing year.
During the last-named year, he was also one of
the Vice- Presidents of the Chicago Association
of Life Underwriters. He is a Republican in
politics, though while living at Lawrence, Kan-
sas, in 1873, he was the Prohibition candidate for
Mayor of that city, and was a member of the
School Board from 1872 to 1875. The foregoing
is sufficient comment upon the superior social as
well as business qualifications of Mr. Redington,
and illustrates the confidence and esteem which
he enjoys among his fellows. He is cordial in
manner, and his easy bearing betokens good
breeding and a sound heart and brain.



JAMES B. KELLOGG.



(TAMES BRADFORD KELLOGG, a marine
I underwriter and adjuster of long experience
Q) and acknowledged capability, was born in
Whitesboro, New York, September 9, 1825. He
is the eldest son of EH C. Kellogg and Lu-
cretia Barnard. The former was born in Shef-
field, Massachusetts, his family being of Scotch
lineage. While a young man, he went to New
York, where he was engaged in mercantile busi-
ness. In 1835 he removed to Monroe, Michigan,
and continued in the same occupation for ten



years. At the end of that period he became a
resident of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and after con-
ducting a mercantile business for a time, he en-
gaged in milling. His death occurred in that
city in 1855, at the age of fifty-four years. Mrs.
Lucretia Kellogg, who was a native of the Em-
pire State, died at Whitesboro, while on a visit
to that place, in 1838. Of their six children,
James is the only resident of Illinois. Edgar,
the youngest son, now a resident of Denver, Colo-
rado, is the only other survivor.



324



J. B. KELLOGG.



James attended a private school at Monroe,
Michigan, with the expectation of adopting a
professional career, in accordance with the wish of
his parents, and in 1841 he entered the Michigan
State University at Ann Arbor, becoming a mem-
ber of the first freshman class of that famous in-
stitution. Owing to his father's financial embar-
rassment, following a crisis which had overspread
the country a few years previous, he was obliged
to abandon his college course at the end of one
year. He then became clerk and bookkeeper in
his father's establishment, and for the next few
years devoted his energy and talents to the recup-
eration of the family fortunes. He accompanied
his father to Milwaukee in the same capacity,
and in 1852 he entered into partnership with his
father in the milling business. This enterprise,
however, was not successful, but his operations
in that city had been marked by such clerical
ability and integrity as to secure the confidence
of many of the business men of the city, and in
1853 he was tendered the position of Secretary of
the Commercial Insurance Company of Milwau-
kee. This corporation was then in its infancy,
and he established its affairs upon a substantial
basis, and continued to have charge of its office
affairs, with the exception of one and one-half
years, until 1864, when the company suspended
business, though in a sound financial condition.
During the interval above alluded to, he offici-
ated as Cashier of the Exchange Bank of William
J. Bell & Company, of Milwaukee, organized
under the State L,aw of Wisconsin.

For several years prior to 1865 Mr. Kellogg
was Secretary of the Milwaukee Chamber of
Commerce, and was presented by his associates
on his retirement with a very handsome silver to-
bacco box, filled with a new brand of the weed
known as "Lincoln Greenbacks," as stated by
Judge Levi Hubbell, who made the presentation
speech, as a token of the regard and esteem in
which he was held by them. At the date last
mentioned he went to New York City, and en-
tered into a contract with the Underwriters'
Agency of that city to manage its lake marine
department for three years. His previous expe-
rience in underwriting had been largely in the



line of marine risks, and his readiness and busi-
ness tact proved of great advantage to his em-
ployers. At the expiration of this contract he
came to Chicago and took charge of the marine
department of the Home Insurance Company of
this city. A few months later this company dis-
continued its marine business, a departure which
greatly disappointed Mr. Kellogg, who antici-
pated a large and lucrative line of risks at this
port.

Returning to Milwaukee, he re-engaged in ma-
rine insurance, and in the summer of 1869 or-
ganized the Northwestern National Insurance
Company of Milwaukee, intended especially for
marine and fire underwriting. Among the prin-
cipal stockholders and directors of this company
were many of the chief capitalists of that city,
some of whom have since gained a national repu-
tation as financiers. It is still doing a flourishing
business, and numbers Mr. P. D. Armour among
its directors. Mr. Kellogg was the Secretary
and Manager, and under his skillful conduct it
rapidly grew to prominence among underwriters.

In February, 1872, he severed his connection
with this company, and the following year be-
came once more a resident of Chicago, where he
has ever since been engaged in marine underwrit-
ing and in adjusting marine losses. Since 1892
the firm of Kellogg & Robinson, of which he is the
head, has been the only one in Chicago giving
exclusive attention to marine adjusting. He is
thoroughly familiar with marine law, and is con-
sidered an authority upon all questions pertain-
ing to marine insurance. His advice is often
sought by underwriters, and he is frequently
called upon to arbitrate between the companies
and their policy-holders. His sound judgment
and spirit of fairness, combined with his thorough
knowledge of values, conspire to make his de-
cisions just and acceptable. For twenty-two
years past he has been a member of the Board of
Trade, which connection has proved advantage-
ous to his other interests.

While avoiding club life, Mr. Kellogg has never
shirked any proper social duties, and is a patron
of those refining institutions which tend to de-
velop the best elements of the people in a large



FRANKLIN CHAVETT.



325



city. He is a member of the Art Institute and
the Field Columbian Museum, and adheres to the
faith of the Episcopal Church, in which he was
reared. For some years he was prominent in the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in 1852
was Grand Representative from Wisconsin to the
Grand Lodge of the United States, after serving
several years as Secretary of the Grand Lodge of
the State. He is a prominent member of the
Masonic fraternity, and for many years was act-
ive in its councils and labors. While a resident
of Wisconsin, he was for some years Grand Sec-
retary of the Grand Lodge of that State. In
early life he was identified with the Whig party,
and cast his first Presidential vote for Zachary
Taylor; but since the disintegration of that party
he has been an advocate of Democratic princi-
ples, though never an aspirant for public posi-
tion. One of the earliest political events in his



recollection is a gathering at Fort Meigs during
the famous "Tippecanoe" campaign of 1840, at
which William Henry Harrison was the chief
orator. Following the custom of those days,
people from several neighboring counties assem-
bled, and the proceedings, which lasted for sev-
eral days, created a deep impression on the youth-
ful mind of Mr. Kellogg.

Mr. Kellogg has been twice married, first at
Fort Plain, New York, October 14, 1852, to H.
Jane Diefendorf, daughter of Dr. James and
Nancy Diefendorf, of that place. The only sur-
viving child of this union is Helen, wife of
Charles P. Woodruff, of Rochester, New York.



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 49 of 111)