John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 50 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 50 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Kellogg was again married, March 10, 1884,
at Manchester, Iowa, to Miss Sarah A. Durey.
This lady is the youngest daughter of William
and Rebecca Durey and a native of Bethesden,
Kent, England.



DR. FRANKLIN CHAVETT.



BR. FRANKLIN CHAVETT, for forty years
a practitioner of medicine in the City of Chi-
cago, was born in New York City June 14,
1 8 1 1 . In the following year, owing to threatened
financial troubles occasioned by the declaration of
war against England by this country, he was
taken by his parents home to France, where two
years later his father died.

The estate left was amply sufficient to allow of
a most excellent education being given the son,
his medical schooling being obtained at the Royal
College of Besancon. Years later, he was also
granted a diploma by the Bennett Medical Col-
lege of Chicago

At the ape of twenty-one, he returned to Amer-



ica, settling in New York City, the scene of his
nativity, where he was a successful practitioner
of medicine for over a score of years. But in
1853, filled with dreams of renewed health and
accumulated fortunes in the new Eldorado, he re-
moved to Chicago, locating on State Street, be-
tween Madison and Monroe, where for another
score of years he kept a home and office, and
built up one of the finest practices in medicine
enjoyed by any physician of those days.

In 1873, for private reasons, he sold his down-
town property to remove to Englewood in the
suburbs, at that time but a small village, but now
grown to one of the finest residence neighbor-
hoods en mile. He here built a fine residence



326



FRANKLIN CHAVETT.



on Yale Avenue, and quickly came to be recog-
nized, as what he was esteemed to the very lastby
his friends and associates, a most charming com-
panion, trustworthy friend and superior doctor.

During the latter part of his life, being in af-
fluent circumstances, and having built up a de-
mand for his remedies on the part of patients liv-
ing long distances from his home, he wished, and
was fortunately able, to cease active practice for
the most; save in complying with very numerous
demands from abroad for his diagnosis and treat-
ment, which were mainly carried on by mail. In
this inexacting manner, he was enabled to in-
crease his fortunes in a comfortably easy way ; for
his final years were weighed down by a complica-
tion of maladies attendant upon old age and the
wear and tear of a very busily occupied life.

He died at his home on the loth day of No-
vember, 1 894, at the hale old age of eighty-three,
universally loved and respected. His remains
were taken to Mount Olivet.

Doctor Chavett was twice married first in
New York City, at the age of twenty-one, to Miss
Catherine Purcell, who, after bearing him six
children, died in 1848. Of these children, all
but one, Miss Gabrielle Chavett, died before their
father. Miss Chavett, whose health is far from
strong, passed the final months of her father's
life in administering to his wants, as only a dear
devoted daughter can. Some years after his ar-
rival in Chicago, the doctor again married, this
time Miss Elizabeth Bannon, who died in July,
1 894, leaving no children. Aside from the daugh-
ter afore-mentioned, there are but two grandchil-
dren, living in the East, who remain of the
doctor's line.

Doctor Chavett was in good standing in his
profession and thoroughly ethical in all his
transactions. He was an honored member of the
National, State and local Medical Societies, and
an honorary member of the Union Medical So-
ciety of Englewood, of which he was for many
years Treasurer. Some of the foregoing societies
have passed touching resolutions on their loss,
since his death.

Doctor Chavett comes of a distinguished French
family. His maternal grandfather was a soldier



in the French army; and on the occasion of the
visit of Benjamin Franklin to solicit aid from that
country for the American Colonies during the
Revolutionary War, was acting as sentry at the
door of the Chamber of Deputies. This fact gave
him an opportunity of hearing Franklin' s stirring
appeal to his countrymen; being thoroughly
stirred thereby, and his term of service under the
tricolor having soon expired, he enlisted his
fortunes with the great and magnanimous LaFay-
ette, with whom he came to America, and under
whose banner he fought in many notable battles,
being present at the final surrender at Yorktown.
After the surrender of Lord Cornwallis, he re-
turned to his native country, where he continued
to reside until his death. But so deep was his
regard for this New World, that he persuaded his
daughter (who had married the father of the sub-
ject of this sketch) to come to New York City,
where Doctor Chavett was born, as hereinbefore
narrated. There is a strain of noble blood in the
family, readily discernable in the observation by
the doctor of the Noblesse oblige.

There is melancholy thought inspired by the
dying out of a once proud and honorable line.
For here ends the male line of which the doctor
was descended, and of which he was so worthy a
flower. It is therefore with unusual, though sad,
pleasure (inasmuch as the last of the lifework
of this family is done) that this opportunity is ac-
cepted to present with fairly impartial words the
name and fame of the deceased. The likeness
seen upon an adjoining page is a lifelike picture
of the most kindly, intellectual face of him who has
spoken words of encouragement to thousands of
sufferers, and whose deeds have verily raised
from the grasp of death many a poor fellow-
creature seemingly doomed to an untimely grave.

His friends, who knew the goodness of his
heart, will never forget him in their lives; but
since all are destined soon to pass away, it will
be with growing satisfaction that future genera-
tions will look upon the lineaments of our friend,
and pause from active life to contemplate the
long and useful career of one of God's noblemen,
who first came to the new West to bestow hap-
piness and health upon the wretched.



L. D. CASTLE.



327



LESTER D. CASTLE.



I ESTER D. CASTLE, who is now living a
It retired life in Harrington, is numbered among
[_2? the honored early settlers of Cook County of
1843. His residence, therefore, within its borders
covers a period of half a century. The record of
his life is as follows: He was born in the town
of Florence, Oneida County, N. Y., March 4,
1827, and is a son of Edward Castle, who was
born in Waterbury, Conn., December 19, 1800.
He was reared, however, in the Empire State,
whither he was taken when two years old by his
father, Phineas Castle, who was one of the first
settlers of Florence. His great-grandfather, Phin-
eas Castle, Sr. , was a Captain in the French and
Indian War. The mother of our subject bore the
maiden name of Jerusha W. Bellows. She was
born in New York, and was a daughter of Abner
Bellows, an early settler of Florence, Oneida
County.

In 1843 Edward Castle emigrated to the West
with his family and located in Palatine Township,
Cook County, where he made a claim of one hun-
dred and sixty acres, purchasing the land from
the Government. It was a wild tract, upon which
not a furrow had been turned or an improvement
made, but he transformed it into a good farm and
continued its cultivation for a number of years.
His last years were spent in Barrington, and he
was buried in the Barrington Cemetery in 1871.
His wife still survives him and lives with her son
Lester, a well-preserved old lady of eighty-six
years. Our subject is the eldest of four children,
the others being Emily, deceased, wife of William
Lytle; Rhoda J., wife of ex-Gov. Ira J. Chase, of
Irvington, Ind. ; and Charlotte, deceased, wife of
Alfred S. Henderson.

Mr. Castle whose name heads this sketch spent
the first sixteen years of his life in his native
State, and in its common schools began his educa-
tion, which was completed by study in Waukegan



Academy. He then successfully followed teach-
ing during ten winter terms. Having purchased
a half of the old homestead, he carried on farm-
ing during the summer months. On his father's
death he became sole owner of the old home farm,
to which he added a forty-acre tract adjoining,
making in all a fine farm of two hundred acres of
valuable land. Upon it are good buildings, and
the place is well improved. Its owner is always
regarded as an enterprising and progressive agri-
culturist, and by his well-directed efforts he has
acquired a handsome competency. In 1877 he
rented his farm to his son, and removed to Bar-
rington, but after two years returned to the old
home, and again carried on agricultural pursuits
until 1887, when he purchased a residence, and
has since lived retired in this place. He owns
one of the nicest homes in Barrington.

Mr. Castle was married in Lake County, June
9, 1852, to Miss Lucy A. Taylor, daughter of
Samuel Taylor, of Warren Township, that county.
She was born in Massachusetts, but was reared
and educated in Ohio and Illinois. They have
seven children: Arthur L., who is married and
resides in Elgin, where he is employed in the
postoffice; P. V., a prominent attorney of Chi-
cago, a member of the firm of Cutting & Castle;
Charles, who is Postmaster of Austin; Pearley
D., who is cashier of the Austin State Bank;
Ben B., a salesman in the employ of Farwell
& Co., of Chicago; Eva, a successful teacher,
now employed in Irving Park; and Lottie, wife of
C. W. Coltrin, a dentist of Austin.

Mr. Castle was first a Democrat. In 1848 he
cast his first vote for Martin Van Buren, and in
1852 supported John P. Hale. In 1856 he voted
for John C. Fremont, and has since been a stal-
wart advocate of the men and measures of the
Republican party. He has himself been elected
to a number of local offices, having served as



328



0. T. MAXSON.



Township Clerk, Town Supervisor, and as County
Supervisor for two terms. He was also Town-
ship Treasurer for about fifteen years, and is now
serving his second term as Police Magistrate.
He has been a delegate to numerous county con-
ventions. The cause of education has ever found
in him a warm friend, and he has done effective
service in its interest during the many years he



has been a member of the School Board. His
mother is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Mr. Castle is a valued and progressive
citizen, who is ever found on the side of right and
order, and who has always taken a commendable
interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of
the community in which he has so long made his
home.



DR. O. T. MAXSON.



0R. O. T. MAXSON, who is engaged in the
practice of the medical profession in South
Evanston, has built up a good business, for
he is well versed in everything connected with
the science and has spared neither labor nor ex-
pense in perfecting himself for his chosen calling.
His skill and ability are now recognized, and he
has not only won a liberal patronage, but has also
gained a high reputation among his professional
brethren.

The Doctor was born in Centreville, Allegany
County, N. Y., March 29, 1824, and is one of
seven children, four sons and three daughters,
who were born unto Joseph and Amelia (Ward)
Maxson. Only two of the family are now living,
the Doctor, and Caroline, who is the widow of
Dr. J. W. Beardsley, of Minneapolis, Minn. The
parents were both natives of Rhode Island. The
father was a trader, farmer and merchant. In
1846, he removed to Bradford, Wis., where he
lived for twenty-four years, his death occurring
in 1864, at the age of eighty-two. His wife
passed away in 1846, at the age of forty-six years.
Both were members of the Universalist Church.
They built the house of worship in Centreville,
N. Y., and for two years paid the salary of the
minister. The paternal grandfather, Joseph Max-
son, was a very wealthy man. His father also
bore the name of Joseph. The grandfather
Ward was a farmer and had a family of fifteen



children, all of whom lived to be married, and
nine of whom died in 1846.

Orrin T. Maxson was reared in Centreville,
N. Y., and there acquired his early education.
He afterwards attended Rush Medical College, in
Chicago, for he had determined to make the prac-
tice of medicine his life work, and was graduated
from that institution in the Class of '49. He
then established a hospital in Nevada, Colo., in
connection with Dr. Clark, and was at that place
one year, after which he went to the mouth of
the St. Croix River, and bought out the old fur
company of that place. He there platted what
afterwards became the city of Prescott, Wis. He
there remained for fifteen years, and during most
of the time engaged in the prosecution of his pro-
fession.

In 1 86 1, the Doctor entered the service of his
country, joining the boys in blue of Company A,
Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry. He served until
after the siege of Atlanta, when he was honorably
discharged, his three-year term having expired.
He held the rank of captain, yet most of the time
was detailed as a surgeon. After the war he en-
gaged in practice in Waukegan and Chicago for
a long period, seventeen years of that time being
spent in the former city. Leaving Waukegan in
1883, he removed to Evanston, where he has
since made his home. He has built up a large
practice, and his success is well merited.



' 'KY
THE
UNIVERSI ' OF ILII




JOHN ROBERTSON.



JOHN ROBERTSON.



3 2 9



In December, 1846, Dr. Maxson was united in
marriage with Miss Eunice McCray, daughter of
William and Candace (McKinney) McCray, na-
tives of Tollaud, Conn. Five children have been
born unto them, three sons and two daughters, but
Herrick, Orrin and Almira are now deceased.
Orrin Prescott, who was the third in order of
birth, is now a practicing physician of Wauke-
gan. He married Miss Kittie Sherman, and they
have four children, a son and three daughters:
Eunora, Evelyn, Leta and Harold. Amelia, who
was the youngest of the Doctor's family, is the
widow of L. L- Knox, and now lives with her fa-
ther in Evanston. She has two children, Orrin
and Helen.

While residing in Wisconsin, Dr. Maxson
served as a member of the Legislature for several
years, and was chairman of the railroad commit-
tee which disposed of the land grant. He was
for six years State Regent of the Normal Schools



of Wisconsin, which included all the colleges and
schools that had Normal classes in the State. Gov.
Randall was a particular friend of the Doctor's,
and, unsolicited, appointed him County Judge of
Pierce County, Wis. In politics, he was in early
life a Democrat, but at the breaking out of the
war he joined the ranks of the Republican party
and has since been one of its stanch advocates.
In his official duties he has ever been found faith-
ful and true, endeavoring to serve the best in-
terests of the people. Both himself and wife are
members of the Congregational Church, their
connection covering a period of forty years The
Doctor is a Knight Templar Mason and also be-
longs to the Odd Fellows' Society. While in
Waukegan, he was a member of the Lake Coun-
ty Medical Society. The Doctor owns landed in-
terests in various parts of this county, and a home
property and other real estate in Evanston.



JOHN ROBERTSON.



(TOHN ROBERTSON, a highly respected citi-
I zen of Barrington, now practically living retir-
O ed, is numbered among the native sons of Illi-
nois, his birth having occurred in Lake County,
December 29, 1844. His father, John Robertson,
was born in New Hampshire, October 20, 1810,
and in 1837 emigrated westward to this State,
settling near Deer Grove, Lake County. He was
one of the honored pioneers of that locality. He
married Charlotte Sutherland, who was born in
Vermont, but in her girlhood came to this State
with her father, an honored pioneer of Cook
County. Mr. Robertson started out in life for
himself with no capital save a young man's bright
hope of the future and a determination to suc-
ceed, but by industry and good management
he worked his way upward and became a sub-
stantial citizen. He was recognized as one of the
leading men of Lake County. He took an active



part in local politics and held numerous official
positions of honor and trust, discharging his duties
with credit to himself and satisfaction to his con-
stituents. He passed away September 8, 1877,
at the age of sixty-seven, and his wife died two
years previous, in 1875. They lie buried in Fair-
field Cemetery, where a monument has been
erected to their memory.

John Robertson is the second in order of birth
in their family of four sons and five daughters.
Lydia, the eldest, is the wife of William Hicks,
of Palatine; Silas is living retired in Barrington;
Cordelia is the wife of Edward Clark, of Barring-
ton; Persis is the wife of James Diamond, of Nor-
mal Park; Joseph died at the age of nineteen
years; Mary is the wife of Charles Patten, of
Palatine; Elmer resides in Palatine; and Lida
died at the age of twenty-one.

In his parents' home, John Robertson spent the



33



G. W. WATERMAN.



days of his boyhood and youth, and the schools
of Lake County afforded him his educational priv-
ileges. After arriving at mature years he turned
his attention to farming, which he followed in
Lake County for twenty years. He owned and
operated four hundred acres of valuable land and
was a successful agriculturist. In 1887 he rented
his farm, purchased a residence in Barrington,
and has since made his home in this place. He
owns a large and valuable farm at Lake Zurich,
where he has a nice summer residence, and each
year he and his family there spend about four
months. He is also one of the stockholders arid
directors in the Barrington Bank, and is President
of that institution, which is one of the solid finan-
cial concerns of the county. He is a man of good
business and executive ability, who by careful at-
tention to the details of his business and well-di-
rected efforts has won a success which is the
just reward of his labors.

On the 3d of October, 1866, in Lake County,
Mr. Robertson married Julia E., daughter of



David Parker, who removed from Vermont to
Lake County in an early day, and there spent the
remainder of his life. His daughter was born in
Erie County, N. Y., but was reared in this State.
Our subject and his wife have five children: Cora,
wife of A. J. Leonard, of Rockefeller, 111. ; Albert
L-, who is Cashier of the Barrington Bank; Emma,
at home; Frank, a successful teacher of Cook
County; and Lydia, who is attending school in
Mayfair.

Since casting his first Presidential vote for Gen.
Grant in 1868, Mr. Robertson has been a stalwart
advocate of the Republican party and its princi-
ples, and has frequently served as a delegate to
its conventions. He is a member of the Barring-
ton Lodge of Modern Woodmen, and is a chari-
table and benevolent man, who contributes liber-
ally to churches and worthy enterprises, and does
all in his power to advance the best interests of
the community. His sterling worth and many
excellencies of character have made him a highly
respected citizen.



GEORGE W. WATERMAN.



gEORGE W. WATERMAN, a retired farmer
residing in Barrington, is one of the worthy cit-
izens that Massachusetts has furnished toCook
County. He was born in the town of North Ad-
ams, Berkshire County, on November 17, 1826,
and is descended from good old Revolutionary
stock, his grandfather, Thomas Waterman, hav-
ing been a soldier in the War for Independence.
His father, Capt. George T. Waterman, was a
native of Berkshire County, and in North Adams
married Eunice Hoskins, who was born in the
Bay State. He followed farming, and also en-
gaged in teaming. He served in the War of 1 8 1 2 ,
with the rank of Captain, and afterwards received
a pension in recognition of his services. He held
a number of local offices of honor and trust, and
was ever a valued citizen. In 1842, he emigrated
westward, and cast in his lot among the early set-



tlers of Barrington Township, Cook County,
where he purchased eighty acres of raw land, but
in a short time the unbroken prairie was fenced
and transformed into rich and fertile fields. He
there carried on agricultural pursuits throughout
his remaining days. His death occurred in 1875,
and he was laid by the side of his wife in Barring-
ton Cemetery, where a substantial monument has
been erected to their memory. Mrs. Waterman
had passed away a few years previous.

In the family were three sons and four daugh-
ters: Waitay, wife of S. W. Kingsley, of Bar-
rington; Nancy, deceased; Ann, wife of Charles
Hawley, of Barrington; Susan, deceased, wife of
Henry Hawley, of Barrington; G. W., of this
sketch; J. M., a carpenter of Elgin, 111.; and
Charles H., who resides in Petersburg, 111.

Mr. Waterman of this sketch acquired a good



H. B. KURD.



common -school education in his native State, and
at the age of seventeen years came to Illinois. He
aided in clearing and developing a farm in Bar-
rington Township, and afterwards assumed its
management. He also bought more land, and
thus extended its boundaries. As a companion
and helpmate on life's journey, he chose MissAl-
vira, daughter of Gilbert Applebee, who resides
in Barrington, at the advanced age of ninety-four
years. Their union was celebrated in Barrington
June 2, 1853, and six months later they removed
to a farm of one hundred and twenty acres ad-
joining the old homestead. Subsequently Mr.
Waterman made other purchases, until his farm
comprised two hundred acres of good land. He
built upon it a substantial residence and large
barns, together with good outbuildings, and made
it one of the model farms of the community. He
also owns another good farm of one hundred and
twenty acres. He commenced life empty-handed,
with no capital, but has steadily worked his way
upward, and by his enterprise and industry has
become the owner of two valuable farms and a
fine residence property in Barrington.

In 1885, Mr. Waterman was called upon to
mourn the loss of his wife. They had three chil-
dren: Susan, wife of A. D. Church, of Barring-



ton; J. W., a substantial farmer of Barrington
Township; and F. L., who resides in the vil-
lage. All arc married and have families. Mr.
Waterman was married in Barrington, in the
spring of 1888, to Mrs. Rhoda Ann Richardson,
a widow and a sister of his former wife. She
had two children by her first husband: Laura,
wife of C. P. Hawley, of Barrington; and Dr. H.
D. H. Richardson, of this place.

Mr. Waterman has been identified with the Re-
publican party since becoming a voter, and is a
warm advocate of its principles. His fellow-towns-
men, appreciating his worth and ability, have fre-
quently called upon him to serve in positions of
public trust. He has been Supervisor, and is now
President, of the Barrington Mutual Fire and
Tornado Insurance Company. He has also been
School Trustee for a number of years, and he
gives his hearty support and co-operation to all
enterprises which he believes calculated to prove
of public benefit. He and his wife are faithful
members and active workers in the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Mr. Waterman is a man of
upright character and sterling worth, and his
honorable career has won for him a large circle of
warm friends.



HARVEY B. HURD.



HARVEY B. HURD has been prominently
identified with the advancement of Chicago
and its interests for many years. For nearly
half a century he has resided in the city, or in its
beautiful suburb of Evanston, and during this long
period he has been a powerful factor in molding
not only the destiny of this metropolis, but of the
entire West as well. He was born in Hunting-
ton, Fairfield County, Conn., February 14, 1828,
and is a son of Alanson Kurd, who was of Eng-
lish descent. His mother was of both Dutch and
Irish lineage. If ever it could be said of any one



that he made his own way in life from poverty to
a high and honorable station, it is true of Harvey
B. Hurd. It is said that when he left home to seek
a fortune for himself, he carried all his possessions
in a handkerchief, and when he arrived in Chi-
cago, some years later, his capital was only half
a dollar; yet this poor youth was in subsequent
years to play a part which has influenced the ca-
reer of the State, and aided in molding the pre-
liminary studies of a generation of young Ameri-
can lawyers. Until he was fifteen years of age
he spent the summer months in work upon his



332



H. B. KURD.



father's farm, while in the winter season he at-
tended school.

On the ist of May, 1842, Mr. Kurd bade adieu



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 50 of 111)