John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 63 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 63 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

that ever received a distinctive badge from the
Government, which consisted of a red necktie,
worn at the Grand Review in Washington, in
June, 1865. Immediately after the last-named
event, Mr. Stiles was discharged as a supernum-
erary non-commissioned officer, his regiment hav-
ing been consolidated with another.

In 1889 occurred an interesting and important
event in the life of Mr. Stiles, when he took for
a helpmate Miss Delia E. Burt, a native of Liv-
erpool, England, and a daughter of an Episcopal
clergyman, Rev. Dr. Lionel Jerome Burt and his
wife, Henrietta Evangeline, nee Westreff. Mrs.
Stiles is an amiable and accomplished lady, who
takes an interest in church and society matters,
and presides over the hospitable home of her hus-
band with grace and ease. Their residence oc-
cupies a high and healthful site, overlooking the
little city of Wheat on, and is the abode of quiet
elegance and refinement.


It) farmer, now living in the village of Blue Is-
| * land, has by a well-spent life and systematic
business methods won a competence that ena-
bles him to lay aside business cares and spend his
declining days in rest from labor. He was born
near Prattsville, Greene County, N. Y., Novem-
ber 14, 1833, and is a son of Elisha and Persis
(Van Horn) Minard. His parents were natives
of Columbia County, N. Y., and the Minard fam-
ily is supposed to have been of Irish origin, while
the Van Horns are of Dutch descent. The father
of our subject was a son of Joshua and Zipporah
(Bowles) Minard. The former, who was born in

1765, followed fanning near Hudson, N. Y., and
had a family of two sons and two daughters.

In 1841, Elisha Minard emigrated with his
family to Cook County, 111., bringing most of his
goods in wagons. He settled upon a tract of
wild land in Bremen Township, for which he had
previously traded eastern property, owning there
two hundred acres, which is now in possession
of our subject. His death occurred on the old
homestead at the age of fifty-one years, in 1845.
His wife, who survived him for some time, de-
parted this life in Lee County, 111., about 1860.
In their family were the following children: Will-
iam Hubbard, now deceased; Henry H., of Free-



port, 111.; George Wellington and Julia Maria,
both deceased; Mary Eliza, deceased, wife of James
Luce; and Francis V., who completes the family.

The educational advantages which our subject
received were those afforded by the district schools.
He was a child of only twelve years when his fa-
ther died, but remained at home, and at the age
of sixteen took charge of the farm, which he suc-
cessfully operated for many years. He after-
wards bought out his brothers' and sisters' inter-
ests in the place, becoming sole owner. It is still
his property and yields to him a good income.
In 1889 he came to Blue Island, and has since
lived a retired life.

On the 24th of November, 1855, was celebrated
the marriage of Mr. Minard and Miss Margaret
L. Gilson, who was born in Bremen Township,
and is a daughter of Dexter Gilson, one of the
pioneers of that locality. Their children were as
follows: William Arthur, now deceased; Dexter

G.; Millicent M., wife of Irving Patrick, of Will
County, 111.; Nellie L-, deceased; William W. and
Willis W., the former of Chicago, and the latter
deceased; and Wellington and Winnifred, twins,
the former deceased, and the latter at home. The
mother of this family was called to her final rest
June 8, 1877, at the age of thirty-eight years.
On the 26th of October, 1882, Mr. Minard was
again married, his second union being with Ag-
nes J. Patrick, daughter of Walter Patrick, one
of Cook County's pioneers.

Mr. Minard is an advocate of Republican prin-
ciples, having warmly supported that party since
casting his first presidential vote for John C. Fre-
mont. The family attends the Congregational
Church. He is a public-spirited citizen and an
accommodating neighbor, whose genial manners
win the esteem and good-will of all who know


r~R!THJOF T. E. KALLUM, who is con-
Iv) nected with the Chicago Title and Trust
I ^ Company, and makes his home in Blue
Island, was born in Dramen, Norway, July 31,
1863, and is a son of Julius and Louisa (John-
son) Kallum. His father served for twelve years
in the Norwegian army, and was also in the Gov-
ernment employ as a surveyor. In 1865 he bade
adieu to his friends and native land, and with his
family sailed for America. After living for four
years in Chicago, they took up their residence in
Washington Heights, and the father aided in the
survey of that town and built the first residence
after the town was platted. There he spent his
remaining days, being called to the home beyond
on the yth of September, 1873, at the age of forty-
nine years. His widow still resides at the old

home. Their children weie: Carrie, wife of Jacob
Woldenberg, of Washington Heights; Gummil
and Bertha, both of whom are engaged in teach-
ing in that place; and Frithjof of this sketch.

Our subject was educated in the public schools
of Washington Heights, completing the pre-
scribed course of study at the age of eighteen.
Later he attended the Metropolitan Business Col-
lege, of Chicago. On leaving the public schools,
he started out to earn his own livelihood, and se-
cured a position in a paper-box factory, where he
worked for about a year. He then became office
boy for Justice D. Harry Hammer, with whom
he remained for about seven years, during which
time he was promoted until he became chief

Mr. Kallum entered upon his official career on



attaining his majority, having been elected Police
Justice of Washington Heights. At the age of
twenty-three he was made Town Clerk of Calu-
met Township, and later was appointed Deputy
Clerk of the Superior Court of Cook County,
serving under Judges Gary, Anthony, J. P. Alt-
geld and Brentano. In January, 1891, here-
signed, in order to accept a position with the Chi-
cago Title and Trust Company, with which he
has since been connected.

On the 23d of February, 1886, Mr. Kalluin
was united in marriage with Miss Ada Sorgen-
frei, daughter of John and Elizabeth Sorgenfrei,
of Blue Island, in which place the lady was born.
They had two children, but both died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Kallum located first in Washing-

ton Heights, but in 1887 came to Blue Island,
and in 1893 h built here a handsome residence,
at the corner of Grove and Chatham Streets.

In his social relations, Mr. Kallum is connected
with the Masonic fraternity and with the Royal
Arcanum, and attends the First German Evangel-
ical Lutheran Church of Blue Island. In politics
he is first, last and always a Republican, the
party finding in him a most stalwart advocate,
ever ready to advance its interests. He is an en-
ergetic, capable and successful business man, and
all duties of a public nature which fall to his lot
are discharged with such promptness, impartiality
and good cheer as to inspire the confidence and
respect of all concerned.


I ofWheaton, and an able and successful mem-
G) ber of the Chicago Bar, has been a resident
of this city since 1871. He is a grandson of
Thomas Snyder, who was bom in the Mononga-
hela Valley, in Virginia, and settled on a farm
near Hubbard, Trumbull County, Ohio, about
1830. Thomas Snyder's father, of German de-
scent, was stolen from Virginia by the Indians
when nine years old and taken west of the Ohio
River, where he was held in captivity until he
grew to manhood. One day he was sent by his
captors across the Ohio River with a pony, to
gather up arrows which they had been shooting.
He seized this opportunity to make his escape,
riding the pony as long as it could hold out to
run, and then continuing his way on foot till he
reached the white settlements. Thomas Suyder
married Rebecca Titus, also a native of Virginia,
of English lineage. He died about 1859, being
in the neighborhood of seventy years old.

Joshua Snyder, son of Thomas, and father of
the subject of this notice, was born in Virginia in
1825, and was therefore but a child when taken
by his parents to Ohio. He married Harriet
Frazier, a native of that State, and in 1844 came
to Illinois, removing thence to Nebraska in 1879.
He has been forty -five years a Wesleyan Meth-
odist preacher, and has moved from place to place
as selected by his conference. He was Chaplain
of the Nebraska Senate in the session of 1892-93.
He served three years in the Union army during
the Civil War, as Captain of Company D, Eighty-
third Illinois Infantry, going out under Col.
(afterward Gen.) Harding, of Monmouth, and
participating in all the experiences of that regi-
ment. His wife, Harriet, is a daughter of John
V. and Nancy (Veach) Frazier, of Scotch an-

J. Frazier, eldest of the four children of Joshua
and Harriet Snyder, was born at Kishwaukee,
Winnebago County, 111., January 16, 1849. Up

4 I2


to twelve years of age he passed most of his life
at Viola, Mercer County, 111., and the family was
located at Bloomington when the father entered
the army. He attended the Normal School at
Normal, near Bloomington, and Monmouth Col-
lege, and graduated in the classical course at
Wheaton College in 1876. He began the study
of law under the preceptorship of Col. H. F.
Vallette, of Chicago, was later with D. C. & C.
W. Nochols, of the same city, and was admitted
to practice in October, 1880. His progress at the
Bar has been steady, and he now enjoys the
emoluments of a large general practice, including
law and chancery cases, and has also successfully
conducted the defense in important criminal trials.
He occupies offices in the Schloesser Block in
Chicago, 111. He served as Police Magistrate of
Wheaton for eight years, and was elected City
Attorney in April, 1893. His cases are prepared
with care, and their trial is marked by legal
acumen and alertness, and a reserve of force which
conspires to overcome any sudden obstacles, as
well as to exhaust the resources of his adversaries.

Personally, Mr. Snyder is a man of large frame
and fine physique, and his presence is calculated
to attract attention anywhere, and especially to
impress a jury, when re-enforced by his keen
mentality and able pleadings.

In political associations, he is an ardent Repub-
lican, and is not at a loss to account for the faith
that actuates him in sustaining this exponent of
his ideal in the progress of good government.
He attends the Methodist Church, of which his
wife is a communicant.

Mr. Snyder became the husband of Miss Frankie
Ellen Wheaton on the i4th of August, 1878, and
is the possessor and occupant of a happy home on
Seminary Street, in the city named for Mrs. Sny-
der's father, Jesse C. Wheaton, Sr. Two bright
children complete this family circle, namely:
Juanita Clemm and John Frazier, Jr. Mrs. Sny-
der graduated in the classical course of Wheaton
College in June, 1875, and taught six years in
the Wheaton High School, being Principal the
last three years.


0AVID CRAIG MAHON, who is now living
retired on a competency acquired through
perseverance and honest toil, was born in
County Antrim, in the northern part of Ireland,
February 14, 1830. His grandparents were
Scotch-Irish, but of them he remembers noth-
ing. His father was John Mahon, a native
of Scotland, who removed to Ireland with his
parents when very young. He emigrated to
America with his family in 1842, and remained
in New York City a few weeks, after which he
came to Chicago. When a short period had
elapsed, he took up his residence upon a farm
about eighteen miles from the city, situated in

Northfield Township, Cook County. Here he
spent the remainder of his life, passing away at
the advanced age of eighty -four years. He was
a successful farmer, and left his family in com-
fortable circumstances. The mother of our sub-
ject, who bore the maiden name of Martha Craig,
was a native of County Antrim, Ireland. Her
parents were Scotch-Irish, and removed from
Scotland to the Emerald Isle at an early day.
She was married at her birthplace in 1820, and
the children born to this worthy couple were
Martha, Mary Jane, John, Elizabeth, David,
Agnes and James. Four died in Chicago, and
Elizabeth, James and our subject still reside here-


David Mahon was educated in the common
schools of this city, and in 1844, at the age of
fourteen years, he began to learn the trade of
carriage-ironing with Oliver Jellerson. He served
this firm five years, and then engaged with the
McCormick Reaper Manufacturing Company,
with which he continued for two years. In 1851
he entered the employ of the Galena Union Rail-
way Company, working in their shops, which
were opened at that time; but the gold fever be-
ing then at its height, with a friend, he resolved
to go to California. They set out from Chicago
on the 1 6th of April, and with a mule-team made
the entire journey overland by the usual route,
making short stops at principal points for rest
and fresh supplies, and meeting with no unpleas-
ant experiences. On, the i5th of September, they
arrived at Sacramento, where they remained for
a week, for the purpose of procuring a mining out-
fit. Mr. Mahon then went to Grass Valley, a
small mining town of about six hundred inhab-
itants. Here he worked nine months, digging
for gold, when, broken down in health through
hard work and constant exposure, he was com-
pelled to abandon that labor. He then returned
to Sacramento, and after a brief rest, entered the
service of Howe & Prudder, manufacturers of
wagons, mining tools and supplies. He was made
foreman of the works at a very large salary, ow-
ing to his great efficiency. The first work per-
formed was to iron two large stage coaches for car-
rying passengers between Sacramento and Stock-
ton. With this firm he remained two years,
when, in the summer of 1854, he embarked for
home on the steamer "Uncle Sam," which he
left at Panama to cross the Isthmus to Aspinwall.
At this point he took passage for New York on
the Vanderbilt steamer, "North Star," and New
York was made without a stop. He then contin-
ued on his way by rail to Chicago, reaching home
in June, 1854. Mr. Mahon has never regretted
the trip. To him it was not only a source of
pleasure, but also of profit in many ways.

Soon after his arrival home, Mr. Mahou re-
turned to his old railroad position, which he held
until 1863. He was then transferred to the com-
pany's shops at Sterling, 111., and appointed fore-

man, which position he held for eight years, when
he resigned in 1871 to accept a better position
with the Vulcan Iron Works, of Chicago. Here
he had charge of their blacksmith department,
and remained with that firm for twenty years, one
of its most trusted and faithful employes, who by
fidelity to duty won the entire confidence and re-
spect of the firm. He has now retired with a
competency, obtained through long years of hon-
est toil and judicious investments.

The month of June, 1854, witnessed the mar-
riage of Mr. Mahon and Miss Mary Ann Adams,
daughter of William H. and Maria (Bethel) Ad-
ams. Her parents were of English descent, and
came to Chicago in 1835, from New York. They
lived and died on a farm near the city, and there
Mary was born. She had a sister and two brothers:
Elizabeth, wife of Charles Harpell; William, who
is married and resides in Chicago; and James,
who died in this city in 1874. To Mr. and Mrs.
Mahon were born the following children: John,
who married Jennie Thompson, and has a son
Willie; James, who died when six years of age;
and Annie, Mrs. Charles Grimm, who died at
the age of twenty-two, in 1885. She and her
brother lie buried in Graceland Cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Mahon attended the Midwinter
Fair held in San Francisco, Cal. They left Chi-
cago via the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad,
March 8, 1894, an< i returned June 8, 1894. They
not only visited the Fair at San Francisco, but
Los Angeles, Sacramento, and other points of
interest in the Golden State. Mr. Mahon went
over the ground traversed during his first resi-
dence in California, but found that so many
changes had occurred everything was unrecog-
nizable. He was greatly pleased, however, with
his trip.

Mr. Mahon is a member of Covenant Lodge
No. 526, A. F. & A. M.; Corinthian Chapter,
R. A. M.; St. Bernard Commandery No. 35,
K. T. ; and Oriental Consistory. He has taken the
Thirty -third Degree, and is very prominent in Ma-
sonic circles. He also belongs to the California
Pioneers, and takes great interest in regularly at-
tending their meetings He is a member of the
Presbyterian Church.



ager and senior member of the real-estate
firm of Dudley F. Dorsett & Company, lo-
cated on Dearborn Street, Chicago. Though a
comparatively young man, his business career has
been marked by an integrity of purpose and pro-
gressive, persevering spirit that justly entitles him
to representation in this record. He is the sec-
ond of nine children born to Folsom Dorsett and
Anna Vezain, and is a native of Indiana, born in
the town of Burrows, Carroll County, on the twen-
ty-seventh day of February, 1867.

While Folsom Dorsett was born in the Empire
State, his father, Dudley F. Dorsett, came from
New England, the family being remotely of Eng-
lish origin. About 1845 the last-mentioned re-
moved with his family to Pekin, Illinois, where
he was engaged in agriculture until 1867, when
he became a resident of Chicago. Here he em-
barked in the manufacture of pipe and cement,
which industry he carried on for about ten years,
retiring shortly before his death, which occurred
in 1877, at the age of seventy-eight years. His
wife, whose maiden name was Lawrence, was one
of the heirs of the famous Lawrence-Townley es-
tate in England. Her death occurred in Chicago
in 1872.

Folsom Dorsett has been a citizen of Chicago
since 1870, having been continuously in the em-
ploy of Marshall Field & Company since that
date. Mrs. Anna Dorsett was born in Paris,
France, and came with her parents to America in
1850. They first settled at Syracuse, New York,
but later removed to Ottawa, Illinois, where Mr.
and Mrs. Dorsett were married.

The subject of this notice attended the Hayes
School in Chicago, and at fifteen years of age be-
gan his business career, which has been continu-
ously in one line from that date. He first entered
the employ of Turner & Bond, real-estate dealers.

After spending three years as an errand boy, clerk
and assistant bookkeeper, he was advanced to the
position of bookkeeper and cashier. He contin-
ued with this firm over ten years, becoming the
chief office man of the concern. During this pe-
riod its volume of business greatly increased, and
his duties and responsibilities were correspondingly
augmented. When this firm dissolved in 1892,
he took an interest in the firm of Henry L.
Turner & Company, continuing this connection
until April i, 1894, when the present firm of
Dudley F. Dorsett & Company was organized. In
addition to a general real-estate business, it nego-
tiates loans, places insurance and gives special at-
tention to the interests of estates and non-resi-
dents. Though it began operations at an inaus-
picious period of the trade in realty, Mr. Dorsett
had an extensive acquaintance and patronage al-
ready acquired, and the business of the firm has
been steadily prosperous.

Mr. Dorsett has recently become interested in
the fielding Electric Alarm Mail Box, an ingeni-
ous, novel and useful arrangement lately patented,
and is a stockholder and secretary of a company
organized to promote its manufacture and sale.

On the eighth of September, 1890, occurred the
wedding of Dudley F. Dorsett and Miss Coraline
Bosworth, the latter a daughter of H. M. and
Elizabeth Bosworth, of Kansas City. Mr Dorsett
is connected with several social and fraternal or-
ganizations, among which may be mentioned the
Masonic Order, the Royal League and the Inde-
pendent Order of Foresters. He has been a con-
sistent supporter of the men and issues of the Re-
publican party, and, though never seeking public
office for himself, has been instrumental on more
than one occasion in securing positions of trust and
honor for his friends, of which class the city con-
tains a legion.




born in Dublin, Ireland, on the 24th of Feb-
ruary, 1830. His father, Mungo Moray
Ducat, was a gentleman who traced his lineage
from a very ancient Highland family, renowned
in the annals of Scotland. He was a native of
Cupar Angus, but in early life removed to New
Lawn, County Dublin, Ireland, where he also
possessed large estates. His wife, Dorcas Julia
Atkinson, was born in County Armagh, Ireland,
and died in Downer's Grove, Illinois, in Novem-
ber, 1889, aged eighty-six years. Her father
was an Englishman, of Cambridgeshire.

Arthur C. Ducat was educated at private
schools in his native city, and at the age of
nineteen years came to America with the inten-
tion of becoming a civil engineer. He pursued
that profession for some years on important rail-
road lines and other public works. This occupa-
tion was abandoned when he was tendered the
position of Secretary and General Surveyor of the
Board of Underwriters of Chicago, which position
he accepted and occupied until the opening of the
Civil War. In the mean time he began to mani-
fest a keen interest in the affairs of the city, and
organized, drilled and disciplined the Citizens'
Fire Brigade, a semi-military and armed body of
citizens. Their duties were to attend fires and save
and guard property and life. This action also
had a deeper meaning, for Ducat had resolved to
abolish the old "volunteer" fire department and

introduce a new one in its place on a paid and
disciplined basis, employing steam fire-engines.
He was obliged to protect the first engines
brought to Chicago from the demonstrations and
attacks of mobs, incited by the bad element of the
volunteer department, which he did by the aid of
his fire brigade. He wrote the ordinances estab-
lishing and substituting steam engines for the old
hand machines, and enlisted the vote of the Com-
mon Council to adopt it.

Upon the beginning of hostilities between the
North and the South, he was one of the first to
offer substantial aid in support ot the Government.
His taste had led him to the study of military-
history and science, and he knew as much of the
art of war as a lieutenant fresh from West Point.
The roar of the first guns had scarcely ceased
before he had raised and offered first to the State
of Illinois and then to the National Government
a corps of three hundred engineers, sappers and
miners. Many of these men were professionals
who had seen service and understood the details
of field and permanent fortifications, and works
connected therewith, the rapid construction of
bridges, roads, etc. The Government was not
aware, however, of the struggle before it and per-
haps thought that engineers would not be neces-
sary. So Ducat was chagrined and disappointed
by the rejection of what he foresaw would be a
much-needed service. Notwithstanding this re-
fusal, he immediately enlisted as a private, and



in April, 1861, became a member of the Twelfth
Illinois Infantry. He was without political, gov-
ernmental or family influence, and resolved to do
his duty and depend upon his merits for promo-
tion. Although a good horseman, he selected
the infantry arm of the service, as he believed it
would do most of the fighting. His regiment
was among the first that seized the important
strategic point of Cairo and supported General
Lyon in taking possession of the arsenal at St.
Louis. It was not long before Ducat's military
acquirements and capabilities were appreciated.
Within a month he was commissioned Second
Lieutenant, and afterwards appointed Adjutant of
the regiment. Upon the expiration of the three
months for which he had enlisted, he was again
enrolled for three years in the same regiment, and
appointed Captain of Company A. The Twelfth
formed a part of the brigade that first occupied
the sacred soil of Kentucky, taking possession of

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 63 of 111)