John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 64 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 64 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Paducah in August, 1861. Here he was pro-
moted to be Major of his regiment, and in the
month of April following, at Fort Donelson,
he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-
Colonel. In August, 1862, he was appointed to
the command of the grand guards, pickets and
outposts for the Army of the Tennessee. When
Major-General Ord was appointed to the com-
mand, Ducat was ordered to his staff, and when
Major-General Rosecrans relieved General Ord,
Ducat was attached to the staff of the former. At
Rosecrans' great battle of Corinth and the subse-
quent pursuit of the enemy, he served as acting
Chief of Staff and Inspector-General, and so con-
ducted himself as to receive the warmest con-
gratulations of his superior officers, not only for
bravery, but for efficiency, making most important
suggestions as to movements, and carrying them
out with great success.

Subsequently he was directed by the general in
command to conduct a flag of truce to the enemy
at Holly Springs, Mississippi, a distance of over
seventy-five miles, through a country infested
with a superior force of guerrillas and the enemy's
cavalry, who were not to be depended upon to
recognize a flag of truce. He succeeded, and dis-
played as much tact and discretion in the im-

portant negotiations entrusted to him as in the
field. He was afterward detailed to arrange with
General Burnside the Knoxville campaign, rep-
resenting General Rosecrans on that occasion.

When Major-General Rosecrans took command
of the forces known as the Army of the Ohio
(which subsequently became the Army of the
Cumberland), Colonel Ducat was ordered to ac-
company General Rosecrans and named as acting
Chief of Staff and acting Inspector-General. In
this important and responsible position he ren-
dered the most efficient service in re-organizing,
equipping, disciplining and drilling the army,
in raising the siege of Nashville, and in opening
the railway from that city to Louisville. He was
afterward appointed by the War Department In-
spector-General of the Fourteenth Army Corps,
and after the battle of Stone River and the or-
ganization of the Army and Department of the
Cumberland, he was appointed Inspector-General
of that army and department (the most military
of the staff positions), in addition to which he had
charge of the grand guards, pickets and out-
posts, and the organization of the signal corps
of the army. When it is recollected that Ducat
was a self-educated soldier, his selection from
among the many able and experienced men who
had made war their profession is a distinc-
tion indicating a high degree of merit. He or-
ganized the Bureau of the Inspector-General on a
system substantially new, but adapted to secure
the greatest efficiency and discipline of a great
army in the field. At first his strict and rigid
exactions rendered him unpopular, but as soon
as results began to manifest themselves in the
greater efficiency of the troops, their sanitary
condition and military spirit, he became, among
officers and men, one of the most popular officers
of that army. He formulated and put in practice
a system of picketing and outposting an army
which highly distinguished him. When General
Rosecrans was relieved and Maj.-Gen. George H.
Thomas took command, Ducat was ordered to
the staff of the latter, in which capacity he served
until he left the service at the close of the wjr,
respected and beloved by all.

Many of these facts are obtained from an a *i-


cle written by General Rosecrans, who also said
of him: "I regard him as an extraordinary man,
* * * an excellent tactician, * * a soldier
by nature; so much so, that he never exacted
the credit he easily merited, nor the promotion
given to less able and more plodding men. ' '

The following is from the pen of General
Grant: "His services have been very valuable
and have been highly appreciated." General
Thomas wrote: "One of the most able and use-
ful of the army staff and cannot well be spared."
General Sheridan characterized him as "an
officer of high standing and distinguished merit."
Another writer on the war says: "Ducat was
early distinguished for his thorough knowledge
of military details, his organizing powers and his
executive ability; but especially for his sleepless
vigilance and activity, that mastered all details of
topography and the movement of hostile armies. ' '

The late President Garfield, Quartermaster
General Meigs, Major Generals Ord, Palmer, and
others, addressed the war department, recom-
mending the higher promotion of Ducat, but the
lack of influence at headquarters, together with
his own indifference regarding promotion, seemed
to prevent him from receiving appointments to
higher commands. He was always fully con-
tented in any capacity in the army to which he
was appointed.

Soon after the close of hostilities, the Home In-
surance Company, of New York, appointed him
to superintend its business in Ohio, Indiana and
Kentucky, and shortly afterward he became its
general agent in Chicago. His career as an act-
ive underwriter was eminently successful, his
popularity and acquaintance throughout the West
being of great advantage to his employers. The
firm of Ducat & Lyon, of which he was the
head, carries on a general fire-insurance business.
The business under his control has always been
successful and profitable. One of the standard
works of America is "Ducat's Practice of Fire
Underwriting," which he brought out in 1857.

Before the great fire he was chairman of the
committee that organized the celebrated Fire
Insurance Patrol of Chicago. He remained

chairman of the Patrol Committee five years after
the fire, and infused into it the esprit du corps
and military spirit that have characterized it
and brought about the extension of the fire
limits to be co-extensive with the city limits
an important work, adroitly managed in the
face of great opposition. He was chairman of
the committee which framed the new building
law after the great fire, and, in conjunction with
Frederick Baumann, wrote the most elaborate
and well-digested building law in this or any
other country. The Board of Local Fire Under-
writers was organized on the basis of his recom-
mendation, in the capacity of committee for that
purpose, to which position he was appointed soon
after the great fire.

In 1873 there was a movement in Illinois to re-
organize the National Guard of the State. The
advice of General Ducat on this subject was
sought, and the military code upon which the
present efficient Guard was organized is the prod-
uct of his brain and pen, for which he was made
major general and its commander. In 1886 he
was elected commander of the Illinois Comman-
dery of the military order of the Loyal Legion.
He was a member of the Grand Army of the Re-
public, and of the Masonic order, being identified
with Apollo Commandery, Knights Templar;
and a member of the Chicago Club. He was
always a staunch Republican, though never a
candidate for civil office. He was married to Miss
Mary Lyon, daughter of William Lyon, Esq., of
Bedford, Pennsylvania. Her death occurred in
Chicago, October 26, 1890, at the age of forty -
three years. In 1892 he was married to Miss
Alice Jane Soutar, daughter of P. J. Soutar, an
eminent lawyer of Dunfermline, Scotland. Six
of General Ducat's children survive. Arthur C. ,
Jr., a graduate of West Point, is a lieutenant in
the United States Army; Kate, the second child,
is the wife of C. P. Stivers, of Chicago; and
Mary, Reginald, Elizabeth and Alice complete
the family, whose members are communicants of
the Episcopal Church, in which General Ducat
was reared. The latter died January 29, 1896, at
his home in Downer's Grove.




0ANIEL WARREN, one of the pioneers of
Illinois, deserves more than passing notice
in this record. He was the representative
of one of the oldest American families, which
will always live in history because of the brave
general who lost his life at the battle of Bun-
ker Hill. Daniel Warren was a successful busi-
ness man, who came West to embrace the op-
portunity to secure a large landed estate at small
original outlay. He was a native of Massachu-
setts, born about 1 780, near Concord, the scene of
the first conflict of arms in behalf of colonial in-
dependence and American liberty.

In early life, Mr. Warren went to western New
York, and opened the first store in Fredonia,
Chautauqua County, that State. He afterward
lived about fourteen years in Westfield, same
county. While a resident of New York, he be-
came acquainted with the Naper brothers, who
settled the present prosperous town of Naperville,
in DuPage County, Illinois. Naturally, when
he decided to locate in the West, he called upon
them, at their Illinois home, and at once found a
satisfactory location about halfway between Na-
perville and the present town of Warrenville.
This was in the spring of 1833, while Chicago
was scarcely thought of as a city, and certainly,
its present marvelous development undreamed-of
by the wildest speculator on human destiny. In
a few years, Mr. Warren sold out his claim and
moved to the present site of Warrenville, where
he built a sawmill and laid out a town. He also
secured nearly a section of land, and made farm-
ing his principal industry until advancing years
caused his retirement from active life. In all his
undertakings, he was assisted by his only son,
Col. J. M. Warren, a sketch of whom will be
found elsewhere in this volume. The father

passed away at his home in Warrenville in 1866,
aged eighty-six years.

Nancy Morton, who became the wife of Daniel
Warren, and the mother of a son and seven
daughters, was born in Orange, Worcester Coun-
ty, Massachusetts, on the ninth day of February,
1785. When nine years old, she went with her
parents to Madison County, New York, and was
the favorite companion of her brother, Rev. Sal-
mon Morton, a well-known pioneer clergyman of
western New York. That she was a woman of
refinement and graces of mind is shown by the
character of her daughters, several of whom be-
came ornaments of Chicago society. The pio-
neers were largely dependent upon their own re-
sources for amusement and culture, and the youth
of the time were fortunate whose parents brought
educated and refining influences with them. Mrs.
Warren took a keen delight in the lives of her
offspring, and lived to a great age, retaining her
faculties to the end, which came February 4,
1873, and she was buried on the eighty-eighth
anniversary of her birth.

Following are the names of the children of
Daniel and Nancy (Morton) Warren: Philinda,
widow of P. H. Fowler, now in her ninety-first
year, residing at Warrenville; Louisa, married
Frederick Bird, and died at Rockton, Illinois;
Julius Morton (see biography elsewhere in this
volume); Sarah, wife of Abel Carpenter, died in
Chicago; she was one of the first teachers in this
city, in a select school; Harriet, Mrs. C. B. Dod-
son, lived at Geneva, Illinois, where she died;
Mary and Maria were twins, the former now re-
siding in Chicago, being the widow of Jerome
Beecher, and the latter died in the same city,
while wife of Silas B. Cobb; Jane married N. B.
Curtiss, a prominent business man of Peoria.








EHARLES C. P. HODDEN was born at Gro-
ton, New Hampshire, August 9, 1827. His
father's name was Phineas H., and his
mother, prior to her marriage, was Miss Betsey
Parker. His genealogical record shows his earliest
American ancestor to have been one Richard
Holden, who, in 1634, with his brother Justinian,
came from Ipswich, England, in the sailing-ves-
sel "Francis," settling in the locality which after-
ward became Watertown, Massachusetts. Mr.
Holden' s maternal grandfather was Lieutenant
Levi Parker, a patriot who served in the army of
the Revolution, taking part in the battle of Bun-
ker Hill and not returning to his fireside until
after the surrender of Cornwallis. He chanced to
be with Washington at the time of Arnold's trea-
son and Andre's capture, and served as one ol
the guards at the execution of the gallant British
officer who was punished as a spy, and whose
conspicuous bravery Lieutenant Parker sincerely

Mr. Holden' s father, with his family of nine
children, came West in 1836, reaching Chicago
June 30. With hired ox-teams he at once set out
for the prairie, where he pre-empted one hundred
and sixty acres of Government land, selecting as
a location Skunk's Grove, on the "Sauk Trail,"
in the edge of Will County, thirty miles south of
the future city. He was the first settler in that
region, his nearest neighbor being two miles and
a-half distant, and his children being compelled
to walk three miles across the trackless prairie to
receive instruction in the rude log hut which
served as a schoolhouse.

Among such surroundings Charles rapidly de-

This sketch is taken from the "History of Chicago," by per-
mission of the publishers Munsell & Co.

veloped great physical strength. When not more
than ten years old he drove a breaking team of
five yoke of oxen, his father holding the plow,
and was able to do all that usually fell to the lot
of farmers' boys in those early days. When he
was fifteen, his father placed him in Sweet's gro-
cery store, on North Water Street, near Wolcott,
now North State Street, where for six months he
worked hard for his board. At the end of that
time, however, his employer presented him with
a pair of cassimere pantaloons, which the young
clerk highly prized.

In the spring of 1847 his patriotic ardor, no less
than his love of adventure, prompted him to en-
list in Company F, of the Fifth Regiment of Illi-
nois Volunteers, and after serving until the end
of the Mexican War he was mustered out of serv-
ice at Alton, Illinois, October 16, 1848. He
immediately secured employment in the book
otore of A. H. & C. Burley, where he remained
until March, 1850. On the igthofthat month
he joined a party which set out from Old Fort
Kearney, Missouri, for California. The route
was overland, and the pilgrims took up their
weary journey with two teams. They reached
Hangtown July 1 2 and at once began mining on
the Middle Fork of the American River. Young
Holden spent two seasons on this stream, pass-
ing the second at Coloma Bar. In the fall ot
1851 he began farming and stock-raising at Napa
Valley, which pursuits he followed until Decem-
ber i, 1853, when he turned his face eastward.
He took passage on the steamship "Winfield
Scott," bound from San Francisco for Panama,
but the vessel was wrecked in a fog on the reef
of Anna Capa Island, at midnight, December 2.
As soon as the grinding of the ship's bottom on



the rocks aroused the three hundred or more pas-
sengers to a comprehension of their danger, they
buckled on life preservers, promptly given them
by the officers, and anxiously awaited their sup-
posed fate. They recalled the doom of the ill-
fated "Independence," which had gone to the
bottom a few months before with four hundred
souls on board. The officers of the "Winfield
Scott" did their duty nobly, the furnace fires
were promptly extinguished and the first boat-
loads of impatient, terror-stricken voyagers were
landed on the shelving rocks, which, however,
seemed a veritable haven of refuge. The pass-
age to these rocks was perilous, but every one
was safely transported. The stranded passengers
and crew, however, underwent torments of hun-
ger and thirst upon a barren ledge until rescued,
seven days after the wreck, by the steamship
"California," which carried them to Panama.
The ' 'Scott' ' was abandoned to the pitiless buffet-
ing of the elements and ultimately went to pieces.
Neither cargo, express matter (except the money),
mail nor baggage was rescued. The destitute
passengers made the best of their way across the
isthmus and were taken to New York by the
Pacific Mail steamer "Illinois," landing January
3, 1854. Mr. Holden returned to Chicago, reach-
ing this city March 18, 1854, precisely four years
(lacking one day) from the date of his departure.

The next important event in his life was his
entry into the service of the land department of
the Illinois Central Railroad Company, which
occurred February 20, 1855.

Seven months later on September 17, 1855
he was married to Miss Sarah J. Reynolds,
daughter of Isaac N. and Rue Ann Reynolds, of
New lycnox, Will County, Illinois. Mrs. Hol-
den was the granddaughter of Abraham Holder-
man, of Holderman's Grove, Illinois, where he
settled in 1830.

Mr. Holden has been a prominent figure in
Illinois politics since 1858, when he went as a
delegate from Chicago to Springfield to the Re-
publican State Convention. The train that car-
ried the delegation was decorated with a banner
bearing the legend, "For United States Senator,
Abraham Lincoln." It was after the adjourn-

ment of this convention that the great commoner
uttered those memorable words:

"A house divided against itself cannot stand.
I believe this Government cannot endure per-
manently, half slave, half free. I do not expect
the Union to be dissolved. I do not expect the
house to fall, but I do expect it will cease to be
divided. It will become all one thing, or all the

Mr. Holden was elected a member of the city
council in April 1861, he representing the old
"fifth ward," and continued a member of the
municipal legislature until December, 1872. Dur-
ing his protracted term of service he had an eye
single to the city's good. He worked as did few of
his confreres, ' 'public office' ' being, in his esti-
mation, a "public trust." Measures of genuine
improvement not for his own ward, but looking
to the benefit of all Chicago found in him an
ardent champion. The improvement of streets
was one of his cherished hobbies, of which he
never lost sight. In this connection due credit
should be given to Mr. Holden's labors. The
water supply received his thoughtful considera-
tion, and it was largely through his efforts that the
present system of abundant distribution through-
out the city took its inception and received its im-
pulsive force. While a member of the council he
was constantly agitating this question. He was
the advocate of pure water, and plenty of it, for
every man, woman and child within the corporate
limits. Indeed had it not been for him and others
like him, Chicago would have been, to-day, as
poorly supplied with water as some of her sister
western cities. It was through his persistent la-
bor that the city authorized the building of the
second tunnel under the lake, with its extension,
besides the construction of the waterway ending
at Ashland Avenue and Twenty-second Street.

As to Mr. Holden's influence in this regard,
see proceedings of the common council for 1869
and 1870, pp. 87, 91, in, and page 690, Pro-
ceedings 1868-9.

During the dark hours of the nation's history,
Mr. Holden was conspicuously loyal. His vote,
his voice and his efforts were always in support
of the Union. His vote as a municipal legislator



was always in behalf of aiding the National Gov-
ernment with men and money. In 1862 he
raised a company for the Eighty- eighth regiment
of Illinois Volunteers, his brother, Levi P., being
elected its captain. In 1864, when a draft was
ordered in case the quota of troops allotted to
Chicago was not furnished through voluntary en-
listment, he determined that there should be no
draft in his ward the Tenth. He organized a
"Ward Draft Association" and was chosen its
president. The members worked with a will, and
the sum of $51,912 was raised wherewith to pay
bounties to volunteers, thus warding off what
Mr. Holden was inclined to regard as a threat-
ened disgrace. Mr. Holden furnished three rep-
resentatives for his family for the army Harris
Durkee, for his wife; Frederick A. Hausmann,
for his sister-in-law, Rowena P. Reynolds; and
Alonzo C. Ide for himself.

His part in civic affairs has always been a prom-
inent one. He was marshal of the city council
on the occasion of the reception of the remains of
President Lincoln on their way to their final rest-
ing place at Springfield, and chairman of the com-
mittee named to secure the attendance of General
Grant at the great fair held at Dearborn Park,
July, 1865. It was he who introduced the reso-
lutions which were adopted by the council relative
to Lincoln's funeral.*

At the time of the great fire of 1871, he was
president of the council, and rendered valuable
service in bringing order out of chaos and secur-
ing succor for the destitute. A detailed account
of his efficient work at that trying period may be
found in Andreas' History of Chicago, Vol. II,
pp. 761-772. f At the next municipal election
both the great political parties Republican and
Democratic placed Mr. Holden in nomination
for the mayoralty, each also nominating a full
ticket for the other city offices. But there was an
element in the community which was of opinion
that political considerations ought not to be re-
garded at such a time, and in consequence a com-
plete "citizens'-" ticket, known as the "fire-
proof," was nominated, containing the names of

*See Council Proceeding! for 1866, p. 8.

tSee also Council Proceedings for 1871, pp. 346, 347.

Joseph Medill for Mayor and David A. Gage foi
Treasurer. The "fire-proof " ticket was elected.

In 1872, Mr. Holden was an elector on the
Greeley ticket, but, with his associates, went
down in the political cyclone which swept the
country in November of that year.

Previous to this in March, 1869 Governor
Palmer had appointed him a West Chicago Park
Commissioner, and re-appointed him in 1871. He
accepted the trust, and with his brother commis-
sioners laid out the magnificent system of parks
and boulevards which has so largely aided in
building up the great West Side. He resigned
from the board in 1878.

In 1873, he was called upon to mourn the loss
of his wife, who for a lifetime had been his coun-
sellor, his helpmeet, and the honored mistress of
his happy home. She passed away July 26, after
a lingering illness, and was laid to rest at Rosehill.
It was a source of regret to both Mr. and Mrs.
Holden that the latter's youngest sister, Rowena
(who had been a member of the family since
1858), was not at home during this protracted
sickness, she being absent on an extended tour
through Europe and the Orient. An adopted
daughter, Sarah J. , remained to sustain him in
his bereavement.

In February, 1873, Mr. Holden left the employ
of the Illinois Central railway, after eighteen
years' consecutive service, during which period
he had aided in selling two million acres of the
corporation's lands. He then took a prominent
part in the construction of the Chicago & Illi-
nois River Railroad, running from Joliet to Coal
City, the charter and organization of which he
virtually controlled; he disposed of his interest in
this company, whose line ultimately became a
part of the Chicago & Alton system.

In 1874, he was elected a County Commissioner,
and July 4, 1877, as president of the board, laid
the corner stone of the county court house. His
investments in real estate proved fortunate, and
he has erected several blocks, among them one
at the corner of Monroe and Aberdeen Streets
and another at Nos. 298 to 302 West Madison

Mr. Holden's adopted daughter, Sarah J., was



married, February 17, 1885, to Mr. George M.
Say re. and now resides at Elmira, New York.
They have two children, Charles Holden and
Grade. Some three years later, July n, 1888,
he was married for a second time, his bride being
Miss Thelena N. McCoy, daughter of Henry M.
and Mary (Lakin) McCoy. She was born at
Port Perry, Canada, where she received her
schooling and musical education. Her mother
died in 1879, and she being the eldest daughter,
much fell to her lot in caring for the family, which
consisted of her father, two brothers and three
sisters. She bravely assumed the responsibility.
The children were educated, and while caring for
her household she was pursuing her musical and
other studies. The western fever having seized
her father, he removed with his family to South
Dakota, where, in the winter of 1888, they passed
through the terrible blizzard that scourged the

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 64 of 111)