John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 7 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 7 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

He was sick a large part of the time and served
in the reserve corps at Columbus, Ohio, for eight-
eefi months. He was in the battle of Shiloh and

his regiment was the first one fired upon. He
was also in battles along the Chickahominy River.
November 3, 1865, he was mustered out of serv-
ice. Mr. Johnson was taken prisoner at Bolivar,
Tennessee, but was paroled. After the close of
the Civil War Mr. Johnson located in Chicago
and entered the employ of the Lake Shore &
Michigan Southern Railway Company and has
since been occupied in the interest of that con-
cern. He entered as clerk in the freight office
and remained in that capacity eighteen years. He
then took charge of the out freight house at Polk
Street and Pacific Avenue and after eight years
was transferred to the Englewood east bound
freight, but at the end of four years this house
was discontinued and he was returned to the Polk
Street house, where he is at the present writing.
Mr. Johnson was married February 15, 1862,
to Miss Marilla Alwilda Chipman, daughter of
Holton and Lucy (Hopkins) Chipman. Mrs.
Johnson's great-grandfather was born in England,
and emigrating to America in 1840, located in
Eugene, Indiana, later removing to Bristol, of
that state, where he died in 1847, at the age of
forty- nine years. Holton Chipman was born in
Vermont, as was also his wife. She was married
in Ohio and died January 24, 1893. She was
born April 24, 1809. Her children were eight in
number. Lucy Hopkins married Caleb Nash, of
South Bend, Indiana, and their children are:
Alice, Helen, Delia and Adell; Philenia Rosalie
married Dr. J. N. Roe, of South Bend, and
their children are: Lelia, Crestus and Lennie;
Rachel Parthenia married John Brown, of Val-
paraiso, Indiana, and their children are: Blanch,
William and Agnes; Cynthia Florilla married
C. S. Payne, of Goshen, Indiana, and their chil-
ren are: Lola, Hiram,Chauncey, Emma and Mag-
gie; Austia lanthe married Joseph F. Thomas,
of Edwardsburg, Indiana, and their one child is
Ella; Delia Alice married John Hudson, of Sac-
ramento, California; Cassius Holton married
Wealthy Rouse, at Kendallville, Indiana, and
their one child is Millie; Marilla Alwilda is the
wife of the man whose name heads this article,
and was born November 17, 1843, at Eugene,












j~ RANKLIN PIERCE, who was a well-known
|W resident of Chicago, was a member of a very
I old and respectable New England family,
of English origin. From a genealogical history
of the Pierce family it is learned that Capt.
William and Capt. Michael Pierce, brothers,
were conspicuous persons in the early history of
New England. Capt. William Pierce was the
most celebrated master of ships that came into
the waters of New England in the infancy of the
colonies. He was on very intimate terms with
all the leading colonists, and a warm friend of
Winslow and Bradford. He was first noticed in
the early records of the colony in 1622, when he
was master of the ' 'Paragon," the owner of which
ship was his brother, John Pierce, of London,
England. In 1623 Capt. William Pierce brought
over to Plymouth the "Anne" with her note-
worthy crew. In 1624 he came in the "Charity,"
conveying Winslow with his cattle, which were
the first brought into New England. In 1625
he was at Plymouth in the "Jacob," again
bringing Winslow and more cattle. In 1629 he
commanded the renowned "Mayflower," and in
her took a company from Holland as far as the
bay, on their way to Plymouth. Jn February,
1630, he came with the "Lion" from Bristol,
England, and brought sixty passengers, includ-
ing Roger Williams and his wife, Mary.

He brought the first cotton into New England,
from the West Indies, in 1633. The records
show that he owned a house and lot in Boston in
1634, and in 1636 he brought the first sweet po-
tatoes into New England from the West Indies.

He was shipwrecked in 1641, and found a grave
in the sea which he had navigated so long and

Capt. Michael Pierce, the founder in America
of that branch of the family to which the subject
of this sketch belonged, was born in England
about 1615. He emigrated to America about
1645, and in 1646 located in Hingham, and the fol-
lowing year removed to Scituate, where he lived
the remainder of his life. He was commissioned
captain by the colonial court in 1669, and served
with distinction in King Philip's war, and was
slain in battle in March, 1676.

Franklin Pierce, whose name heads this ar-
ticle, was of the ninth generation in direct de-
scent from Capt. Michael Pierce. He was born
August 16, 1827, in Durham, Greene County,
New York. His parents, Royal and Mary
(Clark) Pierce, were born in Durham and Athens
respectively, in Greene County, New York.
Royal was a son of Mica Pierce, who was in
turn a son of Jobe Pierce.

Royal Pierce was a tiller of the soil, and was
very successful in collecting this world's goods,
following this occupation for many years. In
the year 1854 he purchased a farm near Belvi-
dere, Illinois, and the year following removed his
family from the Empire State to this farm. After
ten years spent in this location he retired from
active life, and at the age of seventy-five years,
died in Belvidere, April 25, 1878. His beloved
wife survived him until 1888, and died in the
eighty-first year of her life, at Winona, Minne-
sota. Her remains were brought to Belvidere

4 8


and interred beside her husband. The family
of this worthy couple numbered six, and were
named as follows: Franklin, the subject of this
sketch; Jemima, who is Mrs. Bartlett, of Winona,
Minnesota; Wallace, of the last-named town;
Marshall, who was a soldier in the Union forces,
in the late Civil War, and died in a hospital at
Nicholasville, Kentucky; Mary Imogene, who is
now the wife of I,. B. Starkweather, of Lake
County, Illinois; and Clark, who died in the year
1861, inBelvidere, Illinois.

Franklin Pierce grew to manhood on his
father's farm, assisting in its culture during the
summer months, and attending the district
school in winter. He was a studious young
man, and acquired sufficient knowledge to enable
him to instruct others, and followed this profes-
sion many years. At the age of twenty -three
years he went to New York City, and was en-
gaged in steam -boating in the East River, and
later, for one season, was on the North River,
between Albany and New York. He was then
employed as fireman on the Troy & Schenectady
Railroad one year, and later on the Troy & Bos-
ton Railroad.

April 25, 1853, at Troy, New York, Mr.
Pierce was united in marriage with Miss Ann
Elizabeth, daughter of Gilbert Curtis Bristol.
Mrs. Pierce was born in Columbia County, New
York. After his marriage, Mr. Pierce removed,
with his wife, to Rutland, Vermont, where they
remained two years. In March, of the year
1855, Mr. Pierce moved west, and was soon em-
ployed by the Chicago & North-western Railway
Company, as engineer, and his wife followed in
the July succeeding. He was one of the first
engineers of the now important system, and ran
the first passenger train into Harvard Junction.
After remaining in the employ of this company
until 1861, he located on a farm near Belvidere,
abandoning the same after a few months. He then
entered the employ of the Western Union Railroad
Company and had charge of its shops at Savanna,
Illinois, for a period of four and one-half years.
He again entered the service of the Chicago &
North-western Railway Company, and for two
years ran a steamboat for it on Lake Superior ,

after which he was on one of the stock trains of
the company, remaining with the same until
March, 1873. He was large in stature and of
fine personality, exemplary in his life and habits.
On the outbreak of the Rebellion he offered his
services to the Union cause, but was rejected by
the medical examiner. He was a member of the
Masonic order, having attained to the degree of
Knight Templar, and his remains were interred
with Masonic honors. Mr. Pierce was a strong,
athletic man. On one occasion, while engineer
on the Chicago & North-western Railway, he saw
a man lying on the track, fast asleep. Unable to
stop the train he rushed forward and taking a
secure position on the cow-catcher he reached
forward and, with one hand, threw the man from
the track and thus saved his life.

He then purchased an interest in a flour mill
at Harvard Junction, which interest he retained
four years. After he sold this interest he was a
number of years engineer in the Air Line Ele-
vator near the North-western depot, in Chicago,
until the year 1893. He lived to the venerable
age of seventy years, and died August 19, 1897,
three days after hisbirthday anniversary. Mr. and
Mrs. Pierce were blessed with four children, three
of whom died when infants. The only surviving
child, Jennie Irene, married Henry Millard.
She is a musician of recognized ability, being
able to instruct in the art, as well as a very fine
singer. She has a daughter, Marion, who has
inherited her mother's musical talents in a
marked degree, and is a vocalist of a high order.

Mrs. Pierce's parents were Gilbert Curtis and
Ursula Elizabeth (Loomis) Bristol. The family
was of English origin, and Mrs. Pierce was born
in Columbia County, New York. Her grand-
father was Israel Bristol, and he was married to
Anna Blinn.

Franklin Pierce was a Whig at the time of the
existence of that party, and afterward a Repub-
lican. He was a prosperous as well as a worthy
man, and was beloved by all who knew him, and
mourned by his family and friends at his death.
His name will long be remembered, and his
deeds of kindness and thoughtfulness to his fel-
low-creatures were not in vain.




VSAAC SCHAFFNER, who is a dealer in
cigars in the city of Chicago, comes of a
JL good old German stock, whose descendants
have been known in Germany from time far
back in history. Mr. Schaffner has adopted
for his country the Land of the Free, and is
as loyal to it as he is to the memory of his
native Fatherland. Nothing can erase the coun-
try of the Rhine from his mind and at the same
time he labors in the interest of the free United
States. He was born March 23, 1832, in the
village of Eppelsheim, Hessen-Darmsdat, Ger-
many, and his parents were Abraham and Mary
(Hart) Schaffner.

The paternal grandfather of Isaac Schaffner
was Nathan Schaffner, and his children were
named Moses and Abraham. The maternal
grandfather, Henry Hart, had eleven daughters
and two sons. Abraham Schaffner died in 1857,
at the age of seventy-five years. He was a dealer
in horses, cattle and grain. His widow died in
1865, at the age of se vent y- five years. The chil-
dren of Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Schaffner were
named as follows: Nathan, Michael, Yetta, Solo-
mon, Jacob, Lazarus, Lena, Moses, Isaac and

Solomon Schaffuer was the first of his father's
family to emigrate from their native land, and
arrived in America in 1839. He located in Man-
chester, Ohio, and later removed to Cleveland.
He settled in Chicago in 1871, and died here in
1883. He married Henrietta Schwab, who sur-
vived until 1894. Their children were named:
Joseph, Nathan, Caroline, Henry, Abraham,
Rachel and Clarence.

Lazarus and Moses were the next of the family
to come to America, arriving in 1845. They

located in Reedsburg, Ohio, and Lazarus died
there in 1848, unmarried. Moses removed, a
short time later, to Warsaw, Ohio, where he re-
sided twenty-two years, before he came to Chica-
go. Here he established himself in business and
died about ten years since. He married Miss
Fannie Joseph, and their children are named:
Minnie H., Abraham J., Nettie J., Hannah R.
and Morris. One child, Harvey N., is deceased.
The family is residing at No. 459 Forty-fifth

Isaac, Michael and the sister, Yetta, were the
next to come to America, and reached New York
in September, 1847. They located in Reedsburg,
Ohio. Michael remained two years and then
changed his location to Richland County, Ohio,
and still later to Summit County, and conducted
a store at Randolph until 1877, when he died.
He married Mollie Hahn, and their children
were: Abraham, Henry, Nathan and Fyetta.

Yetta, sister to Isaac Schaffner, married Nathan
Becker, having removed to Cleveland, Ohio.
They located in Warsaw and subsequently re-
moved to Chicago, where she died in October,
1895. Her children were named: Rachel, Viola
and Abraham G., the latter now residing at No.
5132 East End Avenue. The father, Nathan
Becker, resides with his daughter, Rachel, at
No. 4911 Grand Boulevard.

Nathan, another of the sons of Abraham
Schaffner, came to America in 1864, and located
immediately in Chicago. He conducted a meat
market, and married Hannah Baum. Their
children were named: Herman, Bertha, Yetta,
Simon, Solomon, Lena, Ida, Paulina and Ada.
Yetta, Simon and Ida are the only ones living at
the present writing, Simon residing at No. 307


Clareniont Avenue. Nathan Schaffuer died No-
vember 14, 1892. His wife died September 28,

After Isaac Schaffner had lived in Reedsburg,
Ohio, two years. he went to Cleveland, Ohio,
where he remained two years. He was a clerk
there and subsequently a commercial traveler
two years. He then located in Warsaw, Ohio,
and opened a general merchandise store at that
place. He went into business with his brother,
Moses, the firm name being Schaffner Brothers.
They conducted the business from 1855 until
1875 and then sold out to Clark & Bucklin. On
his arrival in Chicago, in 1875, Mr. Schaffner
dealt in horses one year. He then went to work
for Hart Brothers two years, and was subse-
quently in the fur business three years. He was
in the bank of Henman, Schaffner & Company
until the year 1893, when he started in the cigar
business. He is doing a brokerage business, and
has made a success from the start to the present

Mr. Schaffner built a residence at No. 6613
Michigan Avenue in 1892. He married Miss
Yetta Hecht, daughter of Joseph and Caroline
(Schwab) Hecht, August 2, 1868. Mrs. Schaff-

ner was born May 9, 1842, in the village of
Weimerschmitten, Bavaria, Germany, and came
to America in 1862. Her brother, David Hecht,
emigrated from his native land in 1855 and lo-
cated in Cleveland, Ohio, and died in California
August 12, 1883. He was born August 17, 1840.
He conducted a business in Cleveland and in St.
Marys, California. He was married, but had no
children. Mrs. Schaffner' s paternal grandparents
were David and Rebecca Hecht. Their children
were: Abraham, Alexander, Matilda, Esther,
Caroline, Rosa, Sarah, Emanuel, Simon, Joseph
and Herman.

Mrs. Schaffner's mother died in 1886, at the
age of seventy-five years. Her children were:
Caroline, Solomon, Moses, Alexander, Henry,
Yetta, Lena and Rachel.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Schaffner
are: Albert, David Hecht, Maud Violet and
Erma. Mr. Schaffner was made a Mason in
Warsaw Lodge No. 255, and served as senior
warden. He never cared particularly to hold
public office, but occupied the position of treas-
urer of the local township where he resided for
one term. He votes and argues in favor of the
principles of the Democratic party.


I youngest and most prominent of prac-
Q) ticing dentists in the city of Chicago who
has a promising future before him, is James L.
Ubellar. He was born March 12, 1866, at No.
753 West Lake Street, Chicago. For ancestry
see biography of C. G. Ubellar, in this work.

James L. Ubellar received an ample education
and is a highly refined and intelligent man, of
good standing among those of his profession and
held in deep regard by all with whom he comes

in contact. He attended school in Chicago until
he reached the age of twelve years, after which
time he was at school in Kankakee, Illinois. He
later attended the business college of Bryant
& Stratton three months. He began a course in
the Chicago College of Destal Surgery in 1887,
finishing the course March 25, 1890. In Sep-
tember, 1889, he took a state examination and at
once entered upon the practice of his profession.
He is now a member of the faculty of Union
Dental College of Chicago.


Mr. Ubellar was married March 5, 1885, to
Miss Jennie Louise, daughter of William H. and
Jane (Lee) Hamilton. Mrs. Ubellar was bom
in New York. Mr. Ubellar is a Mason, being
affiliated with Englewood Lodge. He is a Royal
Arch Mason, having taken the degrees in Kan-
kakee Chapter, and is a member of Ivanhoe

Kankakee, Illinois. He is one of the Modern
Woodmen of America, and he, with his wife, is
connected with the Eastern Star Lodge of Kan-
kakee. Mr. Ubellar is not actively engaged in
politics, but is in sympathy with the principles
of the Republican party. He is one of the rising
young men of the present day, and his value is

Commandery No. 33, Knights Templar, of recognized generally by the public and his friends.


(31 LEXANDER SYMONS. Among the en-
I I terprising citizens of our United States, and
/ | those who gain a name for themselves among
the people of the country they adopt, many are
of foreign birth and immigrate to the Land of the
Free for the purpose of taking advantage of its
opportunities, which are not equalled in any
other country on the globe. Though we boast
inhabitants of all races, the most sturdy and ener-
getic of all are those of Scotch lineage. Of this
people of the Highlands who located in the great
metropolis of the west, Alexander Symons is one
of the most respected and highly honored. He
was born December 20, 1828, in the town of
Rothiemay, BanSshire, Scotland, and is a son of
James and Margaret (Block) Symons.

John Symons, father of James Symons and
grandfather of the man whose name heads this
article, served in the English army, and died in
1809, aged about thirty-five years. He married
Anna Currie, and their only children were James
and John. The maternal grandfather of Alexan-
der Symons, John Watt, was the father of Alex-
ander, John, Margaret and some other children,
of whom record cannot now be obtained.

James Symons was born June 20, 1800, in
Banffshire, Scotland. He died in June, 1876, and
his remains were interred at Rothiemay, Scotland.
He was a stone mason and worked as a journey-

man and contractor. The mother of Alexander
and the first wife of James Symons died when
thirty-five years of age, Alexander being her only
child. James Symons married for his second
wife Jane McRobbie, and their children were:
Annie (William, who died at the age of twenty-
two years), John, James, Isabel, Jane, George
and Robert. Annie, Jane, John and James came to
America, but returned again to their native land.

Alexander Symons was the first of his father's
family to emigrate from Scotland, and reached
Illinois in November, 1857. He located in Lock-
port, on a farm near the towu of that name, and
for seven years worked in the interests of another
man, receiving a salary. In the spring of the
year 1865 he removed to Grand Crossing and
purchased two and one-half acres of land border-
ing on Langley Avenue, Seventy-fourth Street
and Champlain Avenue. He built a residence at
this time, and in 1895 erected his present resi-
dence at No. 7410 Langley Avenue. From 1864
to 1873 Mr. Symons was employed at Oakwoods
Cemetery and was then given charge of the Paul
Cornell School building, being in the same posi-
tion at the present writing.

Mr. Symons took for his life partner, on April
9, 1859, Miss Jane Storms, daughter of James
Storms (for further mention of the ancestry of
Mrs. Jane (Storms) Symons, see biography of


James Storms, on another page of this work).
Mrs. Symons was born February 12, 1836, in
Urquhart, Murrayshire, Scotland. The children
of Mr. and Mrs. Symons are five in number, two
having died while still very young. James
Storms, the eldest, resides at No. 7424 Langley
Avenue and follows the occupation of painter;
John resides in West Pullman, at the corner of
One Hundred Twenty-first Street and Emer-

ald Avenue; Annie married James A. Martin, a
clerk in the South Town Assessor's office, and
resides at No. 7425 Champlain Avenue; Alexan-
der, who is a carpenter, and Margaret are at
home with their parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Symons are among the valued
and influential members of the Ingleside Method-
ist Episcopal Church, and he upholds the politi-
cal principles of the Republican party.


GlNTON TEMPEL, now living retired at
| 1 his pleasant home, No. 1022 North Hal-
/| sted Street, is an old resident of Chicago.
He was born May 2, 1830, in Steinheim, Prov-
ince of Westphalia, Prussia. He received his
education in the public schools of his native
place, after which he served four years' apprentice-
ship at cabinet-making, at which he worked un-
til he emigrated to America. In the spring of
1852 he sailed from Hamburg on the "Marquis
of Queensbury," an English vessel, and after
nearly eight weeks on the voyage he was landed
at New York. On his arrival he spent about two
years in New York and Connecticut, working at
his trade. In the spring of 1854 he was joined
at New York by his brothers, William and
Christian Tetnpel, and all three continued west
to Chicago. After one year at carpenter work
he opened a small fruit store at the corner of
Sherman and Van Buren Streets. He continued
three years at this location and then removed to
North Clark Street and continued in the same
business. Early in the year 1861 Mr. Tempel
removed to St. Louis, Missouri, and there estab-
lished a fruit and grocery business. He served
for a short time in the Missouri militia, during
the Civil War, but owing to poor health was
obliged to secure a substitute. He spent a year

in New Orleans previous to the war. He lived
in the city of St. Louis seven years, and on his
return to Chicago opened a store on Twelfth
Street. In 1873 he removed to South Water
Street and continued in the commission business
until 1 88 1, when he retired from active business
life to enjoy a much-needed and well-earned rest.
During his business career he was successful in
all his undertakings, being naturally of an ener-
getic character and bound to profit by his efforts.

Though he never held public office, Mr. Tempel
voted for the representatives of the Democratic
party, believing that this was the most worthy of
handling the affairs of the nation. Mr. Tempel
married, in 1861, Miss Katheriue Kohle, a native
of Prussia. Mrs. Tempel, who had proved her-
self a very worthy helpmate and a noble wife,
passed beyond the border in March, 1895. Mr.
Tempel is a very valuable and prominent member
of the Roman Catholic Church.

Franz Tempel, the father of Anton, was a
bookbinder by occupation and a man of consider-
able education and prominence. He served as a
soldier in the Prussian army and fought against
Napoleon. He was twice married. His first wife
was Mary Stidl, by whom he had two sons,
Anton, whose name introduces this article, and
William, whose biography appears on another



page of this work. After the death of his first
wife he married Elizabeth Laraers. To this union
seven children were born, namely: Christian;
Clements, who was a soldier in the Union army,
and lost his life in the Civil War; Julius, Frank,
John; Elizabeth, wife of a Mr. Bebee of Chicago;

and Mary, deceased. The mother of this family
died in Prussia in 1866, and the following year
Anton visited his native land, and when he re-
turned brought with him his father and the re-
maining members of the family. Franz Tempel
died in Chicago in 1869.


|"^ HllyIP KUSSEL. This gentleman, a retired
yf wholesale grocery merchant of Chicago, is a
[3 prominent representative of those German-
American citizens who have achieved success by
industry, good judgment and legitimate business
methods. Of a lithe physical constitution, active
mind, vivacious disposition and perfect suavity of
manner, he has always enjoyed the esteem of
many friends. His success in life has been in a
great measure due to these qualities.

Mr. Kussel was born November n, 1827, near
Bingen on the Rhine, Germany, the city made
famous by an eminent English author in that

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 7 of 111)