Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 71 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 71 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


months in the Union army. He became a Lieu-
tenant in a colored regiment, and was killed at
the battle of Petersburgh, Virginia. Howard B.,
the youngest, died at the age of five years.

Charles G. Ayars, whose name heads this
article, gained his primary education in the pub-
lic schools of various points where his father was
stationed in the ministry, and finished at Rutgers
College, New Brunswick, New Jersey. At the
age of seventeen years he entered mercantile life,
being employed as a clerk in stores at various
places. He spent one year with a wholesale
paper house in New York City, and in 1857
went to Covington, Kentucky, where he entered
the general western agency of the Phoenix Fire
Insurance Company, of Hartford, Connecticut.

In 1859 he became a resident of Cook County,
and engaged in farming at Evanston. Two years
later he removed to the vicinity of what is now
known as Forest Hill, at the crossing of the Wa-
bash and Pan Handle Railroads, where he oper-
ated a large farm, producing annually large
quantities of hay for the Chicago market. While
residing here, he served six years as Clerk of
Lake Township.

In 1867 he was appointed a Deputy Sheriff of
Cook County, and removed to Chicago, where he
filled this position under successive Sheriffs for
eight years. His duties brought him in contact
with people of all avocations, and he gained an
acquaintance exceeded by few men. Probably, not
a half-dozen persons know personally more people



in Cook County than were included in his list of
friends. About this time there was much litiga-
tion over land titles. Many squatters had to be
dispossessed, and Mr. Ayars' duties as Deputy
Sheriff sometimes brought him exciting experi-
ences. His impartiality, coupled with firmness,
and his uniform kindness to the unfortunate in-
spired the public with confidence in him, and
gained for him a host of true friends. In 1874 he
was elected County Commissioner for the Evans-
ton District, and at the expiration of his term he
was re-elected, serving six years continuously,
during which period the present court house
was built.

In 1883 Mr. Ayars formed a connection with
the Phoenix Fire Insurance Company, of Hart-
ford, Connecticut, as State Agent for Illinois,
having general charge of all its business outside
of Chicago, which relation still continues. In
this connection he travels all over the State, giv-
ing careful and diligent attention to his duties,
and, as a result, the volume of business trans-
acted by the company in his jurisdiction has very
largely increased.

Mr. Ayars was married, April 25, 1859, to
Miss Margaret, daughter of William Fredenberg,
of New York City, where her Knickerbocker an-
cestors located in the early Colonial period. Many
of the name now reside there, and Mrs. Ayars is
the first who left that city. For twenty-five years
Mr. and Mrs. Ayars have been connected with
the First Methodist Church of Evanston. The
former is a member of Evans Lodge, Evanston
Chapter and Commandery of the Masonic order,
and of the Evanston Club and Evanston Boat
Club, being among the organizers of the last-
named organization.

Mr. Ayars was among the supporters of John
C. Fremont for the United States Presidency in
1856, and since that time has consistently ad-
hered to the Republican party from principle.
His varied business experience has given him
a wide knowledge of many subjects and made
him a capable judge of human nature, enabling
him to give to his business and social duties the
benefit of a mind ripened by years of practical
training.



E. S. LACEY.



461



EDWARD S. LACEY.



["[DWARD SAMUEL LACEY, President of
1^ the Bankers' National Bank of Chicago,
I enjoys a national reputation as an able
financier, and has won his way to his present
honored position in the business, social and pol-
itical world through his pre-eminent perseverance,
foresight and integrity. He was born in the town
of Chili, Monroe County, New York, November
26, 1835, and is a son of Edward DeWitt and
Martha C. (Pixley) Lacey.

Edward D. Lacey was born at Bennington,
Vermont, and died at Charlotte, Michigan,
November 6, 1862, aged nearly fifty- three years.
He possessed in a notable degree those qualities
of integrity, intelligence and tenacity of purpose
for which the people of the Green Mountain
State are notable. He removed, with his par-
ents to Monroe County, New York, when but
ten years of age, and was educated at Henrietta,
in that State. He engaged in mercantile business
at Chili, New York, and in 1842 removed to
Michigan, locating the next year at Kalamo,
Eaton County, then a comparative wilderness.
He was a man of prominence in that locality,
filling many positions of public trust and respon-
sibility, and was a leading spirit in the develop-
ment and improvement of that section of the State.

He was a son of Maj. Samuel Lacey and
grandson of Ebenezer Lacey, natives of Wood-
bury, Connecticut. The latter served in the
Connecticut Line through the Virginia and Penn-
sylvania campaigns of the Revolutionary War,
under Generals Washington and La Fayette, be-
coming an Orderly-Sergeant in the latter' s com-
mand. He was a son of Thaddeus Lacey, who
moved to Connecticut from Boston, Massachu-
setts. The first ancestor in America came from



the vicinity of Belfast, Ireland, and located at
Boston in 1704.

Samuel Lacey was born at Woodbury, Con-
necticut, and went with his parents Ebenezer
and Mary (Hurd) Lacey to Vermont in 1784.
He established the second cloth-dressing works
in the State at Bennington, and in 1818 removed
to Monroe County, New York, where he was a
prosperous and influential citizen. During the
War of 1812 he was Major of the First Regiment
of Vermont Militia, which was called into service
on the northern frontier. He assisted in the first
organization of the Whig party at Syracuse,
New York, in 1835, and was for many years one
of its ablest supporters. He died at Marshall,
Michigan, May 9, 1863, in the eighty-fifth year
of his age. He married Ruth, eldest daughter
of Anthony Sigourney, of Oxford, Massachusetts,
a Revolutionary veteran, who took part in the
disastrous campaign of 1776, on Long Island and
about New York City, being twice wounded in
battle during that service. He was the fourth in
line of descent from Andrew Sigourney, a prom-
inent Huguenot, who, with his wife, escaped
from Rochelle, France, after the revocation of
the Edict of Nantes in 1685, and became one of
the founders of Oxford, Massachusetts. Mrs.
L- H. Sigourney, the famous writer and poet,
married a descendant of the same family.

The subject of this biography was about seven
years old when the family settled in Eaton
County, Michigan, where he continued to reside
until 1889. He was educated at the public
schools and Olivet College. At the age of eight-
een years he began his business career as clerk
in a general store at Kalamazoo, Michigan.

In 1857 ne returned to his home at Charlotte,



462



E. S. LACEY.



Michigan, and in 1862, in partnership with
Hon. Joseph Musgrave, established a private
bank, which became, in 1871, the First National
Bank of Charlotte. He was the active manager
of this institution from its organization, officiat-
ing as Director and Cashier, and upon the death
of Mr. Musgrave became its President. He was
distinguished for ability and thoroughness in his
methods, and became identified with many im-
portant business interests. He was a Director,
and for many years Treasurer, of the Grand River
Valley Railroad Company, which he helped to
organize.

Early in his career his fellow-citizens began to
recognize his fitness for the discharge of public
duties, and his opinion on financial questions has
always been accorded great consideration. His
first official position was that of Register of
Deeds of Eaton County, which he held four years,
beginning in 1860. In 1874 the Governor of
Michigan appointed him a Trustee of the State
Asylum for the Insane, and he continued to fill
this position for six years. In 1876 he was a
delegate to the National Republican Convention
at Cincinnati, and from 1882 to 1884 was Chair-
man of the Republican State Central Committee
of Michigan. He also served as the first Mayor
of the city of Charlotte, and assisted in inaugu-
rating its excellent system of public improve-
ments. In 1880 he was elected to Congress from
the Third Michigan District, and served two
terms. He was nominated by acclamation and
elected by a vote far ahead of his ticket in each
instance. He declined to accept the candidacy
for a third term, but in 1886 became a candidate
for the United States Senate, in which he was
unsuccessful, though he showed great strength
and popularity.

In Congress he served on the Committees on
Postoffices and Post Roads and Coinage, Weights
and Measures. But he was distinguished chiefly
through the ability displayed in the consideration
of financial questions. In the Forty-eighth
Congress he attracted wide attention by a mas-
terly speech on the silver question. His address
on the use of silver as money, delivered before
the American Bankers' Association in Chicago in



1885, was received with marked attention and
increased his popularity among financiers. His
prominence in monetary circles caused him to
be recommended by friends in Michigan, New
York, Boston and Chicago for the position of
Comptroller of the Currency, to which he was
appointed in 1889.

This office, so far as regards national finance, is
second only to that of Secretary of the Treasury.
His administration, extending from 1889 to 1892,
covered one of the most critical periods in the
history of the national banking system. He
pursued a vigorous and yet conservative policy,
keeping in view the protection of depositors and
creditors, and his conduct of the office was
endorsed by the ablest financiers. His integrity
and ability have always been recognized, and his
national reputation caused his services to be
sought by many of the leading financial institu-
tions of the country. Believing in the resources
and future of Chicago, he resigned in June, 1892,
to accept the presidency of the Bankers' Na-
tional Bank of that city.

On New Year's Day, 1861, Mr. Lacey married
Miss Annette C. Musgrave, daughter of his busi-
ness partner, Hon. Joseph Musgrave, of Char-
lotte, Michigan. Two daughters and a son,
named, respectively, Jessie P., Edith M. and
Edward Musgrave, complete the family. Since
coming to Cook County, the family has resided
at Evanston, where it is identified with the First
Congregational Church. Mr. L,acey is a mem-
ber of the Society of the Sons of the American
Revolution, the Union League Club, Bankers'
Club (of which he has been President), Bankers'
Athletic Association, Evanston Club and Evans-
ton Country Club. He has always been an
enthusiastic Republican, and wields a strong
influence in the party councils.

Personally, Mr. L,acey is a man of fine phys-
ique, ready discernment, and pleasing manners.
All who have occasion to approach him in regard
to social or business matters are certain of
receiving courteous attention, notwithstanding
the attention necessarily bestowed upon the
financial and business matters of great magni-
tude entrusted to his management.



".



LIBRARY
OF THE
OF ILLIV




LOUIS F. HAAS



L. F. HAAS.



463



LOUIS F. HAAS.



GUIS FREDERICK HAAS. The fascina-
tions of the condition of the government
and the people in general of this United
States appeal to the minds of many natives of
foreign lands in such a way as to draw many of
them to become inhabitants of our Land of the
Free and adopt a place among the famous
American free and equal associates. Of these
many become successful in the marts of trade,
through the advantages offered those loyal to our
flag. Louis Frederick Haas figures among the
men of the last fifty years who have emigrated
from their native land and become followers of
our fortunes.

He was born in Otweiler, Prussia, October 24,
1821, and came to America with his brother in
1837. He previously attended school in the land
of his nativity and became confirmed in the
church, whose creed had been followed and
whose laws had been adhered to by his ancestors
for many generations. His first work in America
was on the old canal, but failing health forced
him to abandon this occupation. When he had
recovered somewhat his usual condition he
learned the trade of a horse shoer with Frank
Bush, and about the year 1842 opened a shop in
his own interest on Randolph Street, near Wells
Street. He conducted a business at this location
forty years and was for some time personally
known to every citizen in Chicago.

Mr. Haas was in no sense of the word a
politician, being independent of party and voting
at proper times for the man who in his estimation



was best fitted to fill the offices for the interest of
the people at large. He was, however, interested
in every enterprise tending to the uplifting of the
minds of his fellow-men, and sanctioned all good
and noble work. He was a prominent, in-
fluential citizen, and was honored and respected
by all who knew him in business, and beloved by
all friends and acquaintances, as well as his near
relatives.

Mr. Haas was a member of the old volunteer
fire department, belonged to the Fireman's Ben-
efit Association, and was also connected with
the Sharpshooters' Club. He was a very broad-
minded and liberal man. Mr. Haas .was one of
the first directors of the Uhlich Orphans' Asylum
and for many years was treasurer of the institu-
tion, being at all times very much interested
in it. He was one of the founders of the
old St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church,
having helped to carry the boards on his back
from the river to the side of the church, for the
first structure, which was a frame building. He
was prominently connected with the work of the
church and contributed to its support very
liberally, in a practical as well as spiritual man-
ner.

In 1843 he married Miss Sarah Wolfe, who
was also born in a foreign land, the place of her
birth being near Strasburg, France. She came
to Chicago, in 1839. This couple became the
parents of eleven children, six of whom are living
at the present writing. Louis is a captain in
the police department. Carrie married Charles



464



C. R. LARRABEE.



Leupold, of Chicago, and resides at No. 1295
North Halsted Street. Charles, Philip, Herman
and William are the names of those living.

Louis F. Haas died July 23, 1888, mourned by
many friends and leaving a vacancy in the family



circle which cannot be filled. Mrs. Haas is still
living, surrounded by a host of true and worthy
friends and residing near her children, who have
turned out to be of great comfort to her, as well
as a source of just pride.



CHARLES R. LARRABEE.



EHARLES ROLLIN LARRABEE, who, in
his quiet and unobtrusive way gave a strong
impelling force to the moral and material
development to the city of Chicago, entered into
rest at his home on Dearborn Avenue, in that
city, June 3, 1899. He was born February 17,
1825, at Ticonderoga, New York, then a small
village adjoining the ruins of the Revolutionary
fort bearing the same name.

His great-grandfather, John Larrabee, who was
born in 1732 at Plainfield, Connecticut, married
Mary Spalding, a representative of one of the
first and most conspicuous American families.
He removed to Pownal, Vermont, in 1780,
being clerk to the proprietors of that town,
whose charter he recorded. He was a valu-
able man in a new settlement, being well edu-
cated for his time and a surveyor by occupa-
tion. In 1783 he purchased a farm at Row-
ley's Point, on Lake Champlain, on which he
settled. He established the first regular ferry
there, and the place has since been known as
Larrabee's Point, its present postoffice title.

The youngest of his four children, Dr. William
H. Larrabee, was born at Plainfield, and prac-
ticed medicine many years at Shoreham, Ver-
mont, later removing 'to Ticonderoga, where he
died in 1836. He was a studious and cultivated
man. His wife was Lovice Callender, of Scotch
ancestry. The eldest of their three children,
Lucius Callender, was carefully trained and be-
came a teacher and surveyor. For many sum-



mers he commanded the little pleasure steamer
that plied Lake George. He was born on the
last day of the year 1799, and was married at
Ticonderoga in 1824, to Calista W. Bugbee, of
an old New England family. In 1852 he came
to Chicago, where he died four years later. The
subject of this sketch is the eldest of his four
children.

As a boy, Charles R. Larrabee is described as
a handsome manly lad, of winning disposition
and obedient and gentlemanly in deportment.
Possessing a keen sense of humor, and being
fond of sports, he was often a leader among his
playmates. His father was a strong man, both
mentally and physically, and being an educator,
gave his son a good training. The mother was
many years an invalid, and her deeply religious
character was impressed upon her son. The lat-
ter attended the public school and was confirmed
in the little Episcopal Church of his native vil-
lage at the age of fourteen years. It was his
desire to enter the ministry, and for a time he
kept up studies under the tutorship of the rector
of the scattered flock at Ticonderoga, but lack of
means compelled him to abandon this purpose
and before he was seventeen years old he began
to support himself.

In 1843 (the mother having died), the father
came to Chicago, with his two eldest sons, and
spent the winter as guest of his brother,
William M. Larrabee, then a prominent citizen
of the young city. In the spring he returned to



C. R. LARRABEE.



465



his eastern home, but the elder son had found
employment here and decided to remain, and
from that time continued to make his home in
this city.

His first position was that of librarian for the
Young Men's Christian Association, which pos-
sessed then some three thousand volumes. After
acting one year as bookkeeper for Woodworth &
Long.millers at the foot of Lake Street (for which
service he received one hundred dollars and board,
in the family of Mr. Long), he entered the hard-
ware store of William F. Dominick. His new
position brought him a slight advance in com-
pensation, the salary being one hundred and
seventy-five dollars, but he found himself in
meals, sleeping over the store. Table board was
supplied in those days by Mrs. Haight at two
dollars per week. Her boarding house was one
of a brick row on the present site of the Chicago
Opera House.

In 1851 Mr. Larrabee became a partner in the
business, and it was now conducted under the
name of William F. Dominick & Company. Five
years later, R. L. North joined Mr. Larrabee in
purchasing the interest of the senior partner.
Through the panics of 1857 and 1873, as well
as through the more terrible ordeal of the great
fire, this house continued in business success,
with honorable record, and voluntarily retired
from the field in 1888.

In 1877 and 1878 Mr. Larrabee held the office
of city treasurer. From 1 888 until the year of his
death he was treasurer of the Title Guarantee &
Trust Company of Chicago.

On his coming to Chicago Mr. Larrabee be-
came a member of St. James' Church, which
then stood on Cass Street between Illinois and
Michigan Streets. He transferred his connection
for a time to Trinity Church on the South Side,
but in 1849 returned to St. James', where, in May,
1851, he was by Rev. Robert H. Clarkson, united
in marriage to Mary A. Wood of the same parish.

During a period of thirty-seven years, begin-
ning with Easter day, 1856, Mr. Larrabee served
this church as vestryman, junior warden and
senior warden. During this period he was dele-



gate to the diocesan convention, and served as
its treasurer from 1870 to 1885. From the early
history of the Chicago Nursery and Half Orphan
Asylum, he served on the board of directors. He
was many years a trustee of Racine College and
of the General Theological Seminary of New
York. For the twelve years prior to his death,
he was treasurer of the Western Theological
Seminary in Chicago.

Beside his widow, Mr. Larrabee left eight chil-
dren. The eldest, Rev. Edward Allan Larrabee,
was born March 31, 1852, in Chicago. He grad-
uated from Racine College (Wisconsin), in 1873,
and from the General Theological Seminary in
New York in 1876. Since June, 1884, he has
been rector of the Church of the Ascension, at
Elm Street and La Salle Avenue.

Annie. D. Larrabee married Cecil Barnes, of
Portland, Maine, who established a university
school in Chicago and died within a year. Her
second husband was John De Koven, of Chicago.
Eleanor L., Mary C. and Caroline Larrabee reside
in the city. Emily W. is the wife of John N. Til-
ton, an architect of Chicago, and Rosalind C. is
the wife of Charles A. Street, a prominent lum-
berman of the same city. RollinN. Larrabee, for
many years in the service of the Western Electric
Company, is now in the South.

The esteem in which Mr. Larrabee was held
by his associates is well shown in the numerous
letters of condolence sent to the family and by
resolutions adopted by the numerous charitable
and religious bodies of which he was a member.
The last session of the diocese of Chicago was
held during his fatal illness, and the expression
of regret at his absence expressed in suitable
resolutions adopted by that body were changed
to condolence, on account of his death before the
resolutions could be forwarded. A part of these
were as follows: ' 'The legacy he has left you and
us is a priceless one. It is the legacy of a stain-
less name, of a spotless life, of a deep and heartfelt
devotion to the church of his love, of a firm faith
in the Catholic creed, and of a ready and self-
sacrificing will wherever the interests of the
church demanded his service. While deeply



466



FREDERICK KRUEGER.



lamenting his loss, the members of the committee
feel that they must felicitate the members of his
family on a life well lived, on a just and glorious
triumph well deserved."

The trustees of the Western Theological Semi-
nary sent the following: "The board of trustees
is sadly reminded of the decease of our beloved
colleague, Charles R. Larrabee, by his absence
from our meeting. His interest in the seminary
and devotion to its welfare were manifest in his
gift of time and labor in the discharge of the
duties of his most important office, that of treas-
urer, from the outset of its career. These merits,
as a member of our board and as an officer of the
institution, were built, as we all know, upon the
most exalted Christian character, exhibited in
every relation of life. Quiet, modest, devout,
steadfast in devotion to duty, able and earnest,
we miss the presence of Charles R. Larrabee and
most sincerely mourn his loss. ' '

The resolution of the Board of Directors of the
Chicago Nursery and Half Orphan Asylum well
sums up his life. ' 'He quietly and naturally found
his place with all influences that make for right-
eousness. In all the years and through all vicis-
situdes of fortune, in the gentleness of refinement,
in the blamelessness of integrity, without ostenta-
tion, he kept himself unspotted from the world."



In the close relationship of parish work, he
made himself best known, and the following
tribute from his associates is a fitting close to this
article: "Resolved, By the rector, wardens and
vestrymen of St. James' Church, Chicago, that
there be placed on record an expression of our
appreciation of the long and faithful services
rendered to this parish by Mr. Larrabee. For
upwards of half a century he was a constant wor-
shipper in St. James' Church, and for a great
part of that time served as vestryman and church-
warden. His demeanor, experience and wisdom
made him an efficient servant of the church,
while his beautiful character and consistent
Christianity endeared him to the hearts of all our
people. In him the several rectors of St. James'
found a helper ever faithful, loyal and devoted,
and his fellow-vestrymen a friend, one with them
both in furthering the welfare of the parish he
loved so unselfishly and also in gentle, sympathic
companionship. And now that he has entered
into his rest, we thank God for the gift of such a
man to the church, and to his family and house-
hold, who miss and long for his loving, helpful
presence, we tender our earnest sympathy. 'The
righteous live forevermore; their reward also is



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 71 of 111)