Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 76 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 76 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the same ticket with Abraham Lincoln, and served
two years. In 1866, he embarked in the real-
estate business, which he has followed almost con-
tinuously since, being considered one of the best
judges of real-estate values in the city. During
the three succeeding years he served as City As-
sessor, and in 1880 and 1881 he was Assessor of
the Town of West Chicago. For fourteen years



he was in the tax department of the West Division,
serving in various capacities.

On the 1 5th of November, 1854, Mr. Amick
was joined in wedlock with Julia S. Bishop, a na-
tive of Lewis, Essex County, N. Y. , and to them
have been born three children: Frank S., a real-
estate dealer of Chicago; J. Stella; and Mamie,
who died at the age of three and a-half years.

Mr. Amick was reared in the faith of the Bap-
tist Church, but now holds membership with
no religious organization. He is a member of
Columbian Lodge No. 819, A. F. & A. M., of
Lawndale, and in politics he has been a stalwart
Republican since the organization of the party.
He is a gentleman of genial and pleasant manner,
has an extensive acquaintance among the earlier
settlers of Chicago, and feels a keen and abiding
interest in their early history. His long residence
here makes him familiar with much of its devel-
opment, and in the work of advancement he has
ever borne his part.



HENRY TURMAN BYFORD, M. D.



HENRY TURMAN BYFORD, M. D., Profes-
sor of Gynecology in the College of Physi-
cians and Surgeons of Chicago, and in the
Chicago Post-Graduate Medical School, and of
Clinical Gyneeology in the Woman's Medical
College of Chicago, and ex-President of the Chi-
cago Gynecological Society, is a native of Evans-
ville, Ind., born on the i2th of November, 1853.
He is the second and only surviving son of the
late Dr. William Heath Byford, of Chicago, and
Mary Ann Byford, his wife, the latter a daughter
of Hezekiah Holland, a physician of Mt. Vernon,
Ind. , and sister of a physician, Andrew Holland.
Dr. William H. Byford, the pioneer gynecol-
ogist of Chicago, was a man whose intelligence



and culture, extended observation and experience,
fitted him to fully appreciate the benefits of edu-
cation, proper environment and morality upon the
young, and took such measures as afforded his
sons ample opportunity to enjoy them and to pre-
pare to enter one of the learned professions.

The subject of this sketch obtained in the pub-
lic schools of Chicago his primary education, and
at the age of twelve had completed a large portion
of the public-school course. He then accompa-
nied his elder brother to Europe, where he spent
four years (1865-1868) in travel and study. At
Berlin, he learned French and German, and also
took a full regular classical course including Lat-
in and Greek. It would seem that under the



H. T. BYFORD.



495



circumstances he would have labored under in-
surmountable difficulties in competition with the
pupils of native birth, but at graduation he took
prizes in divinity and also in German composition.

Upon his return to the United States, Dr. By-
ford matriculated in the University of Chicago,
where he contemplated taking higher honors in
the classics; but discovering a preference for the
sciences, he entered the scientific department of
Williston Seminary in East Hampton, Mass., from
which he was graduated in the year 1870. En-
tering the Chicago Medical College, he took a
three-years course, which he completed in 1873,
graduating as valedictorian of his class. It is a
matter worthy of remark that the college records
show that he was marked one hundred per cent,
in all branches of medicine taught, except diseases
of the eye and ear, which at that time did not re-
ceive so much attention as at the present date.
During his second year he attended the lectures
and demonstrations given to the senior class, and
at the end of the year passed a successful exami-
nation in all branches and fairly won the position
of interne in Mercy Hospital.

The serious illness of his brother in Louisiana
requiring Dr. Byford's presence there, interrupted
his hospital course, and prevented his delivering
the valedictory address to his class at graduation.
Although absent from the commencement exer-
cises, his extraordinary proficiency and excep-
tional standing were distinctly recognized by the
faculty, which granted him his degree of Doctor of
Medicine without examination, a very unusual
act, but one which the circumstances of the case
fully j ustified. One condition was attached to the
granting of the degree, and that was that the
young graduate, then hardly twenty years of age,
should not enter the active practice of medicine un-
til he had attained his majority. This was done
out of regard for the ethics of the profession,
which does not encourage the practice of medicine
by minors, however proficient.

The interim between graduation and the attain-
ment of his majority was spent by Dr. Byford in at-
tendance upon his brother in Colorado, where he
had the satisfaction of seeing him recover. Declin-
ing his father's proffered partnership, the young



physician thought it best to begin professional life
independently, and associated himself with his col-
lege friend, Dr. J. A. St. John, opening an office
in one of the less fashionable districts of the city.
The brilliant promise of future success which had
appeared in the student was fully realized in the
practitioner. He was energetic, competent, pop-
ular, and successful from the first. In 1879,
he visited Europe a second time, and for a year
and a-half devoted his time about equally to study
in the hospitals and travel for pleasure.

On his return to Chicago, Dr. Byford associated
himself with his father, and directed his attention
principally to obstetrics and the diseases of women
and ehildren, working steadily toward his life ob-
ject the diseases of women and abdominal sur-
gery. Although busy with his private practice
he has not spent his whole time therein. He has
been Curator in the museum of the Chicago Medi-
cal College, lecturer on diseases of children in the
Chicago Medical College, and lecturer on obstet-
rics in Rush Medical College. These positions,
however, were relinquished on account of their
requiring time that he could not spare from his
favorite study and specialty. In December, 1888,
he received the appointment to the chair of
Gynecology in the Chicago Post-Graduate Medi-
cal School, of which he is one of the founders; and
the following year he was chosen Professor of
Clinical Gynecology in the Woman's Medical
College, and upon the death of A. Reeves Jack-
son, in 1892, was elected Professor of Gynecology
in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chi-
cago. He has also been Gynecologist to St.
Luke's Hospital for several years past and surgeon
to the Woman's Hospital. He is a member of
the American Medical Association, Illinois State
Medical Association, of the American Gynecolog-
ical Society, of the Chicago Medical Society, the
Chicago Gynecological Society (of which he was
President in 1887), of the Chicago Academy of
Medicine, and the Chicago Medico-Legal Society.

Dr. Byford is known throughout the United
States as one of the most original and progressive
men in his specialties, and has originated a num-
ber of operations which have been approved and
adopted by medical practitioners generally.



496



J. A. MACK.



Among these are inguinal suspension of the blad-
der, shortening of the sacro-uterine ligaments, bi-
lateral anterior elytroirhaphy, subcutaneous peri-
neal tenotomy and the vaginal fixation and vaginal
drainage of the stump in abdominal hysterectomy.
Not only surgical operations, but also surgical
instruments, have been the objects of Dr. Byford's
study, and of these latter he has originated many
new forms of greater utility than their predeces-
sors that are in daily use and called by his name.
As a clinical and didactic lecturer he has been
very successful, and as a writer on medical topics
is able and voluminous. He was one of the edi-
tors of "Byford's Diseases of Women," a treatise
originally by his father, one of the authors of the



' 'American Text Book of Gynecology,' ' and also
of ' 'A Treatise on Diseases of Women, by Emi-
nent American Teachers. ' '

While in Paris, Dr. Byford was a student at the
school of Julian, where he studied drawing of the
human figure. From other artists of Europe he
learned landscape-painting from nature, and now
seeks recreation in the study of art and the treas-
ures of literature.

On the gth of November, 1882, Dr. Byford
married Mrs. Lucy L. Richard, a daughter of
Frederick Larned, who was a near relative of N.
P. Willis. They have four children, Genevieve,
Mary, Heath Turman and William Holland.



REV. JOSIAH AUGUSTUS MACK.



REV. JOSIAH AUGUSTUS MACK, Gen-
eral Secretary and Manager of the Chicago
Bible Society, was born in Gilead, Tolland,
County, Conn., on the 4th of July, 1828, and is a
son of Ela Augustus and Esther (Cone) Mack,
who were also natives of Gilead, and came of old
New England families. The father was adopted
in his infancy by a man bearing the name of
Mack, which became his surname, although his
own father was named Gillette. The father of
Mrs. Esther Mack, John Cone, was killed, dur-
ing her childhood, by the accidental explosion of
a cannon on one of the training days of the Con-
necticut militia. E. A. Mack served as Captain
of a company of militia, and made farming his oc-
cupation through life. He died at the age of
forty-six years, and his wife passed away in Chi-
cago at the advanced age of eighty-seven. They
came to Illinois in 1836, and the journey by way
of the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes covered a
period of six weeks. The family settled on a
claim near the Fox River, in Kane County, after-



ward purchasing the land of the United States
Government, and for several years they lived the
typical frontier life. Later they removed to Ba-
tavia, 111.

Josiah A. Mack acquired his early education in
the district schools, then the only educational in-
stitutions. Afterward he attended a boarding-
school in Batavia for several terms. At the age
of eighteen he began clerking in a general store
in Batavia, and three years later entered into part-
nership with his uncle in the same business.
After two years he yielded to the desire for
Christian work and became agent for the Ameri-
can Bible Society, and in that capacity labored in
northern Illinois for three years. This occupa-
tion gave him experience and training for public
speaking and determined him to enter the Chris-
tian ministry. A college course being out of the
question, he took up the study of theology with
Dr. William E. Merriman, who afterward became
President of Ripon College, at Ripon, Wis.

After studying for one year, Mr. Mack was



REUBEN LUDLAM.



497



licensed to preach by the Elgin Association of
Congregational Churches, and in 1839 he ac-
cepted his first pastorate at Udina, 111., where he
was ordained by a special council, Rev. N. C.
Clark preaching the sermon. He was later called
to Plainfield, where he labored with growing suc-
cess for four years. When the war broke out he
took an active interest in organizing troops for the
service, and during the struggle was sent to
Helena, Ark. , as a representative of the Christian
Commission. There he engaged in Christian
work among the soldiers and colored people. He
spent some further time in the South for the ben-
efit of his health, which had broken down under
his labors at Peoria, in the First Congregational
Church of that city. He held pastorates also at
Moline and other points in Illinois, and in 1876
was called to his native town in Connecticut, where
he served as pastor of the church for over six
years.

In 1883 Rev. Mr. Mack returned to Illinois and
became General Secretary and Agent for the Chi-
cago Bible Society, in which service he continues.
Under his management the receipts of the society
have increased from $2,000 to $14,000 per annum.
In 1889 the society was reorganized and special
provision made for a Bible-work department, in
which fifteen to twenty young women have been



employed, and the force is increased as fast as
means justify. This work is undenominational,
and the society is supported by benevolent con-
tributions. It has been in existence for over fifty
years, and is managed on the broad basis of the
fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man.

Mr. Mack was united in marriage in 1850 with
Eliza Sophia Towne, a native of Troy, N. Y.,
and a daughter of Deacon Silvanus Towne, of
Batavia, 111. To them were born six children
who grew to maturity. Emily Eliza, wife of
George C. Clark, of Peoria, 111.; Charles Augus-
tus, pastor of the Congregational Church at Ran-
toul, 111.; Mary I,., wife of Charles Alden Smith,
Principal of the preparatory school at Lake Forest
University; William Howard, of Philadelphia,
Pa. ; Fannie Cone and Rose C.

Mr. Mack has always taken an intelligent in-
terest in political and other public interests, though
he is not a partisan politician. Growing up among
the people, and earnestly sympathizing with what-
ever makes for good government and mutual con-
fidence, he has cast his vote and given his influ-
ence in ways promotive of these ends. His good
judgment and conscientious labors have been of
inestimable value to the cause with which he is
identified, while his genial, pleasant manner has
won him many warm personal friends.



REUBEN LUDLAM, M. D.



REUBEN LUDLAM, M. D., one of the fore-
most physicians, surgeons and medical
writers in the Northwest, was born in Camden,
N. J., on the yth of October, 1831. His parents,
natives of New Jersey, were descended from
early Colonial immigrants. His father, Dr. Jacob
W. Ludlam, an eminent physician, spent his
earlier years in the East, but removed with his
family to Illinois in 1856, and died in Evanston



in 1858, after a long life spent in alleviating the
sufferings of humanity. His widow, Mrs. Mary
Ludlam, now eighty-six years of age, still resides
in Evanston.

Reuben Ludlam's inherited tendencies and early
training led him to follow in the professional foot-
steps of his father. In his childhood he was ac-
customed to accompany his father in his daily
round of visits, and took great interest in the cases



498



RKTJBEN LU.DLAM.



he saw. His studious habits and thoughtful na-
ture caused his rapid advancement at school, and
at the age of nineteen he was graduated from the
old academy at Bridgeton, N. J., with the highest
honors of his class. At the age of sixteen he be-
gan the study of medicine in his father's office,
and when qualified matriculated at the University
of Pennsylvania (where his father had received
his medical education) , finished the curriculum,
and was graduated therein in 1852. He had spent
six years in preparation for the practice of his
chosen profession.

Soon after receiving his diploma, Dr. Ludlam
came to Chicago. He was a young man fresh
from the influences of the regular or allopathic
school of teachers, but he did not allow his train-
ing or environment to overbalance his judgment,
and after weighing the doctrines of Hahnemann,
the great founder of homeopathy, with care and
conscientious attention, he decided they were
largely true and should be adopted. To renounce
the teachings of those he had learned to re-
spect for their great knowledge of the healing art
was a matter that required a great effort, but,
his mind once made up, he was equal to the effort,
embraced the new theory of medicine and became
a practitioner of the new school. In 1859, tne
Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago was or-
ganized, and he was chosen to fill the chair of
physiology, pathology and clinical medicine
therein. On account of the high degree of skill he
showed in those branches, he was transferred, four
years later, to the chair of obstetrics and the dis-
eases of women and children. He was made
Professor of the Medical and Surgical Diseases of
Women a few years later, and elected Dean of the
college faculty. In each of these capacities
he rendered inestimable service, and his cheerful
and attentive manner endeared him to all who
came within the circle of his acquaintance. For
twenty-five years he was Dean of the faculty, and
resigned that place to become President of the
college and hospital in 1891, which office he still
holds.

From the first Dr. Ludlam gave very close at-
tention to gynecology, and after exhausting the
opportunities of this country he made four medi-



cal journeys to Enrope, where he spent some years
in hard study and painstaking labor in order to
make himself complete master of the subject. As
might be expected from the man and from the ef-
fort, his success was abundant and almost beyond
belief. In the department of uterine surgery, his
services in difficult operations are constantly in
demand throughout the Northwest, and as a con-
sulting authority his ability is recognized wherever
he is known.

Dr. I,udlam was chosen President of the Amer-
ican Institute of Homeopathy, the oldest National
Medical Society in America, in 1869, and presided
over its deliberations at Boston, and delivered
the annual oration, entitled "The Relation of Wo-
man to Homeopathy." He was also elected
President of the Chicago Academy of Medicine, of
the Illinois Homeopathic Medical Society, and the
Western Institute of Homeopathy. In 1870, he
was offered, but declined, the position of Physician
in Chief of the Woman's Homeopathic Infirmary
of New York City, and that of Professor of Obstet-
rics and Diseases of Women and Children in the
New York Homeopathic Medical College.

The confusion and almost total disorganization
of mercantile and social functions that succeeded
the great fire of 1871, made it necessary to or-
ganize a Relief and Aid Society for attending
the sick and homeless, who otherwise would
have been left to suffer, and in many cases to
die, for want of medical attention. Dr. lyudlam
was one of the physicans who with tireless gener-
osity devoted their best efforts toward the relief of
suffering without pay or hope of reward. In
1877 the State Board of Health was organized,
and Gov. Cullom, recognizing Dr. lyudlam's fit-
ness for the place, appointed him a member of the
Board. He was twice re-appointed and his service
extended over a period of fifteen consecutive years.

Although Dr. Indiana is so well known as a
physician and surgeon, it seems probable that he
is best known, to the reading and professional
world at least, as a writer. For six years, begin-
ning in 1860, he was editorially connected with the
North American Journal of Homeopathy, publish-
ed in New York, and for nine years with the
United States Medical and Surgical Journal, pub-



LIBRARY

OF THE

.VERSITY OF ILLir







STEPHEN D. JONES



S. D. JONES



499



lished in Chicago. Since 1879, he has been edi-
tor of the Clinique, a monthly abstract of the
work of the Clinical Society and the Hahnemann
Hospital. His paper entitled "Clinical Observa-
tions Based on Five Hundred Abdominal Sec-
tions, ' ' was one the most important contributions
to this paper. In 1871 his great work entitled
"Clinical and Didactic Lectures on Diseases of
Women' ' was published, and is now in its seven-
teenth edition. It is an octavo of over one thous-
and pages, employed as a text -book in all home-
opathic colleges, and is an acknowledged author-
ity among homeopathic physicians both in Amer-
ica and Europe. This work has been trans-
lated into French, and has equally as high a
standing among the physicians of continental
Europe as among the English-speaking med-
ical practitioners. In 1863, Dr. Ludlara
brought out a volume entitled "A Course of
Clinical Lectures on Diphtheria, ' ' which was the
first work of a purely medical character ever pub-
lished in Chicago and the Northwest. In 1880,



in return for the compliment paid him by the
translation of one of his volumes into French, Dr.
Ludlam rendered into English a valuable work
by Dr. Jousset, of Paris, entitled "A Volume of
Lectures on Clinical Medicine."

Dr. Ludlam has been twice married. His first
wife was Anna M. Porter, of Greenwich, N. J.,
who died three years after her marriage. His
second wife was Harriet G. Parvin. They have
one son, Dr. Reuben Ludlam, Jr., a young man of
ability, whose education and habits have enabled
him to be of assistance to his father in the perform-
ance of his multifarious labors, as well as to estab-
lish for himself an enviable reputation as a prac-
titioner. Dr. Ludlam is an untiring worker, an
enthusiastic student and an accomplished linguist.
He is social and a very entertaining conversa-
tionalist, whose fund of humor and anecdote en-
riches his instructive familiar discourse. As a
writer he is forceful, graceful and lucid, and as a
physician he stands in the front rank.



STEPHEN DECATUR JONES.



ITEPHEN DECATUR JONES, a worthy

representative of one of the pioneer families
of Cook County, now resides in Blue Island,
where he is engaged in business as a dealer in con-
fectionery, stationery, etc. This is the place of
his nativity, for his birth here occurred on the
23d of October, 1846. His parents were Stephen
and Martha (Crandall) Jones. His father, who
was a native of Broome County, N. Y., born No-
vembers, 1806, died in Blue Island, June 14, 1851.
His ancestors were early settlers of the Empire
State, and took part in the War of the Revolu-
tion. Mrs. Jones was born in Westford, Chit-
tenden County, Vt., on the ist of November,
1808, and died in Blue Island on the 5th of Au-



gust, 1890. Stephen Jones came to Blue Island
in 1836, being one of three who in that year lo-
cated there. He opened a wagon-shop, and car-
ried on that line of business most of the time un-
til his death. His wife came to Cook County in
1836, and the following year they were married.
Three children of the six who were born of their
union survived the period of infancy: Eda Ann,
who was the first white child born in the village
which is now her home; Stephen D. of this sketch;
and Alice A., now the wife of C. 'A. Roberts, of
Pasadena, Cal. The mother was one of the orig-
inal members of the Universalist Church of Blue
Island, and in many other waysthe family was con-
nected with the early history of this community.



500



J. P. YOUNG.



The gentleman whose name heads this record
was reared and educated in his native town, and
at the early age of sixteen years started out in life
for himself. He began to earn his livelihood by
working at the carpenter's trade, which he fol-
lowed in this locality until 1868, when he went
to Brushton, Franklin County, N. Y., where he
engaged in farming. In 1872, he returned to
Blue Island, and followed his trade until 1880,
when he embarked in his present line of business.
He earnestly desires to please his customers, and
his courteous treatment and straightforward deal-
ing have won him the confidence and respect of
all.

On the 1 2th of September, 1871, Mr. Jones was
joined in wedlock with Miss Martha Slate, daugh-
ter of Charles P. and Ann (McElwain) Slate, of
Bangor, N. Y. The lady, who was born in Ft.
Covington, N. Y. , April 24, 1849, was a member of
the Universalist Church, and died in Blue Island,



December 17, 1893, at the age of forty-four years.
In the family were five children, but two died in
infancy. Those still living are Emma Alice, Asa
Charles and Martha Lillian.

Mr. Jones was one of the original members of
the Universalist Church of Blue Island, and has
ever identified himself with those interests calcu-
lated to improve the community and promote the
general welfare. Socially, he is a member of the
Masonic fraternity, the Royal Arcanum and the
Knights of the Maccabees. In politics, he was
formerly a supporter of the Republican party, but
now affiliates with the Democracy. For two terms
he served as Clerk of Worth Township. He is a
man of upright character, of a pleasant and accom-
modating spirit and manner, and has the high re-
gard of all who know him. He can recall many
interesting reminiscences of the early days in Blue
Island, and may well be numbered among her
pioneer settlers.



JOSHUA PALMER YOUNG.



(JOSHUA PALMER YOUNG, an honored
I pioneer of Chicago and Blue Island, was born
Q) in Brockport, Monroe County, N. Y., on the
1 8th of March, 1818, and is a son of Eli M. and
Temperance (Palmer) Young. Their family num-
bered four children: Eli, a resident farmer of



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 76 of 111)