Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 77 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 77 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Brockport, N. Y. ; William, who died in Morgan-
ville, N. Y.; Joshua P. of this sketch; and Reu-
ben, who died in Williamston, Mich. The father
of this family was killed by a falling tree, when
Joshua was about six years old, and his wife died
several years later.

Soon after the father's death the family became
scattered. Joshua was adopted by a Mr. Staples,
a farmer residing near Brockport, who treated
him kindly and gave him fair educational ad-
vantages. When he had attained his majority he



began life for himself as clerk in a store in his na-
tive town, and later engaged in teaching school.
On the isth of January, 1845, Mr. Young was
united in marriage with Miss Louisa J. Spencer,
daughter of Oliver and Electa Spencer, of Sweden,
N. Y. The grandfather of the subject of this
sketch and the grandfather of Mrs. Young were
Revolutionary soldiers, and were quartered at New
London, Conn., at the time that place was sacked
by Gen. Arnold; but having been sent out on an
expedition some distance from the town, they es-
caped capture. The young couple began their
domestic life upon a farm near Sweden, N. Y.,
where they resided until 1848, which year wit-
nessed their removal westward. Taking up their
residence in Chicago, Mr. Young here embarked
in business. He built the first house on the West



H. H. MASSEY.



501



Side, south of Polk Street, and in 1856 he pur-
chased eighty acres of land, comprising a part of
the present site of Blue Island, which tract lay
between Western and Maple Avenues, and in-
cluded the most valuable portions of the present
village, extending from Vermont to Burr Oak
Streets. During the next four years he made his
home thereon, devoting his time and attention to
the improvement of his purchase, after which he
returned to Chicago and engaged in the produce
commission business at Market and Lake Streets,
being thus employed until after the death of his
wife.

Mrs. Young passed away in Chicago in Oc-
tober, 1863. She was a member of the Congre
gational Church, and was highly esteemed for her
many excellencies of character. She left two chil-
dren, and one had died in infancy. The surviv-
ing sons, Charles S. and Frank O., are both
prominent residents of Blue Island.

On the yth of February, 1866, Mr. Young was
again married, his second union being with Min-
erva P., daughter of Sweet and Eliza Brayton,
of Blue Island. The lady was born in Marion,
Wayne County, N. Y., and still resides in Blue
Island. She has one son, Chauncey Brayton
Young.

In 1866, Joshua P. Young returned to Blue
Island, erected a fine residence and began dealing



in real estate in Chicago, handling both city and
suburban property. In company with John K.
Rowley, he laid out the south part of Englewood,
between Sixty-third and Sixty-eighth Streets,
and subsequently they platted the town of South
I*awn, now Harvey. Mr. Young continued to
engage in the real-estate business until his death,
which occurred on the 26th of May, 1889. From
the age of sixteen years he was identified with
the Congregational Church. In Blue Island he
organized the society, and contributed liberally
toward the erection of the house of worship. He
served as Deacon of that church until called to
the home beyond, and was ever one of its most
faithful members. He cast his first Presidential
vote for William Henry Harrison, and his last
vote for Benjamin Harrison. He was a member
of the Tippecanoe Club, and filled several local
oiEces, discharging his duties with promptness
and fidelity. He was a man of unquestioned in-
tegrity and lofty, noble-minded principles. He
was not partisan or sectarian, but advocated
human rights in politics, righteousness and tem-
perance in society, and Christianity in the church.
He was ever progressive, and gave much thought
to social and theological questions, though con-
stantly engaged in active business. The influence
of his exemplary life will be long felt wherever he
was known.



HENRY HART MASSEY.



HENRY HART MASSEY, one of the pioneers
of northern Illinois, now living in Blue Is-
land, has since an early day witnessed the
growth and development of this part of the State,
and has borne his part in its progress and ad-
vancement. A native of New York, he was born



in Watertown, February 25, 1828, and is a son
of Hart and Nancy (Matteson) Massey. His
mother, who was a devout member of the Pres-
byterian Church and an earnest Christian lady,
died in Watertown October u, 1845, at the
age of thirty-nine. The father afterward married



502



H. H. MASSEY.



Emeline Utley, and about 1855 removed to Jack-
sonville, 111., where he engaged in the lumber
business for a few years. He then came to Blue
Island and carried on a fire and life insurance
agency. He, too, was a member of the Presby-
terian Church, and was a highly respected citi-
zen. His death occurred on the 3ist of January,
1882, at the ripe old age of seventy-nine.

To Hart and Nancy Massey were born eight
children: Harriet Amelia, who died December
14, 1846; Henry H. of this sketch; Julia Jane,
who became the wife of A. B. Safford, of Cairo,
111., and died January 31, 1862; Heman Whelpley,
who died in Santa Rosa, Cal., November 25, 1891;
James Bates, who is living in Oakland, Cal. ; Emily
Elizabeth, who died in Blue Island, April 18,
1894; Ann Eliza, widow of A. H. Irvin, and a
resident of Blue Island; and Charles M., who
died in Blue Island, August 15, 1864.

The children of the second marriage are: Ella
Amelia, wife of Rev. Samuel F. Dickenson, now
of Grand Junction, Colo. ; and Harriet Holmes,
wife of George T. Hughes, of Downer's Grove,
111. The mother died in Blue Island April 20,
1876.

H. H. Massey of this sketch was reared to
manhood on his father's farm, and in 1847 re-
moved to Joliet, 111. , where he was employed as
clerk in a general store for two years. He then
went to Chicago and secured a position in the
dry-goods store of O. Sherman & Co., at No. 104
Lake Street, then one of the leading dry-goods
establishments of the city. Nearly all of the bus-
iness was done on I/ake Street, while the present
commercial center of the city was a residence dis-
trict. In the fall of 1851, Mr. Massey went to
Blue Island as clerk for the contractor who graded
the Rock Island Railroad. The following yeai
he became Treasurer of the southern division of
the Illinois Central Railroad, with headquarters at
Jonesboro, until the road was completed to Cen-
tralia, when his office was removed thither. He
also acted as pay-master between Wapello and
Cairo, 111., until 1855, when he resigned and re-
turned to Blue Island. Soon after he bought an
interest in a general merchandise store, and carried
on business along that line for twelve years.



Mr. Massey has since been prominently identi-
fied with the business of this locality. In 1868
he engaged in the grain and commission business
on the Chicago Board of Trade, with which he
was connected until 1871. From that time until
1876 he dealt in real estate in the city and in
Blue Island, after which he was appointed Cash-
ier in the County Recorder's office, and served
for five years. During the succeeding year he
was employed in the real-estate department of the
Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Company,
and was then in the grain commission business
until 1892, when he retired to private life. He
now occupies his time and attention with improv-
ing his grounds and looking after his real-estate
interests in Blue Island. He has added a num-
ber of subdivisions to the village at various times.

On the 4th of August, 1853, in Blue Island,
was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Massey and
Miss Clarissa C. Rexford, daughter of Norman
Rexford. They have become the parents of five
children: Willie R., who died at the age of six
years; Mary S., now the wife of Charles R.
Clark, of Chicago; Julia R., wife of W. N. Rudd,
of Blue Island; Harry A.; and Fred F., who is
now a clerk in the Continental National Bank of
Chicago.

The members of the family are all communi-
cants of the Universalist Church of Blue Island,
and Mr. Massey has served as one of its Trustees
and as Treasurer during the greater part of the
time since its organization. Socially, he is a
member of the Masonic fraternity, and is Treas-
urer of the Illinois Universalist State Convention,
of which organization he was a charter member.
In politics, he is a stalwart Republican, and never
fails to vote in support of the men and measures of
his party, although he has never sought office for
himself. With the educational interests of the
community he has long been identified, serving
as School Treasurer of Worth Township for
twenty years. He has also been Notary Public
since 1856. He takes a commendable interest in
all questions of public concern, and is one of the
most esteemed citizens of Blue Island. Mr. Mas-
sey remembers when there was only one house at
Washington Heights and one at Auburn Park.






LIBRARY
OF THE
.iVERSITY OF ILL!'



ORRINGTON UJNT.



503



ORRINGTON LUNT.



PjRRINGTON LUNT is one of the founders
K)\ of Evanston, and of the Northwestern Uni-
^J versity, and has been one of the important
factors in the upbuilding of Chicago. In the days
of the infancy of the city, he cast in his lot with
its settlers, and his interests have since been con-
nected with theirs. Many monuments to his
handiwork still stand, and the history of Cook
County would be an incomplete volume without
the record of his life. He was born December 24,
1815, in Bowdoinham, Me. His father, William
I<unt, was a leading merchant of that place, and
represented his district in the State legislature.
He was a direct descendant of Henry Lunt, of
Newburyport, Mass. , who emigrated to the United
States from England in 1635. The mother of our
subject died when he was ten years old, and his
father afterwards married again. He lived to a
ripe old age, and both he and his second wife
died December 31, 1863.

Mr. I,unt of this sketch attended the public
and private schools of his native town, and in his
fourteenth year entered his father's store, serving
as clerk until he attained his majority, when he
was admitted to partnership. They safely passed
through the financial panic of 1837, for their busi-
ness had been prudently managed, and they could
thus meet the crisis. Soon after, the father re-
tired, and a partnership was formed between Or-
rington and his brother W. H. They did a good
business, and besides dealing in dry goods traded
largely and shipped hay and produce to the South.
In 1842, Mr. L,unt sold out, preparatory y to mov-
ing westward. He believed that better advant-
ages were furnished by the new and rapidly grow-
ing West, and the then young town of Chicago
attracted him. He left home on the ist of No-
vember, and on the nth reached his destination.
This western town had then not a single railroad,
and its business at that time was very slack, not



much being done through the winter season.
Mr. Lunt hoped for better opportunities in the
spring, but his wife's health at that time forced
him to return to Maine. The many discourage-
ments which he met disheartened him, but he
would not give up, and in the later part of July
we again find him in Chicago. He had no capi-
tal, but was furnished with letters of recommen-
dation from leading merchants in the East. He
began business as a commission merchant, and
soon had built up a flourishing trade. In the
summer of 1844 he began dealing in grain, and
in the following winter packed pork to a limited
extent. Both of these ventures proved profitable,
and he then leased one hundred feet of ground on
the river front for ten years, erecting thereon a
grain house. With the growth of the city his
business increased, and in those .early days he
made one sale of fifty thousand bushels, which
was considered a large transaction. He had now
made about $10,000, but trade the following spring
proved disastrous, and he lost all he had. He
never shipped grain East, Chicago being his only
market, and through the experience gained by
his losses he became a prudent and careful busi-
ness man. He has been a member of the Board
of Trade since the beginning, but the business
done there in early years was little, as the organi-
zation had to struggle for existence for some
time, notwithstanding a lunch of crackers and
cheese served as an attraction. In 1853 he aban-
doned the grain trade, and retired for a time from
commercial life.

Mr. Lunt has been connected to a considerable
extent with official positions. He was first called
to office when in his twenty-second year, being
elected Clerk and Treasurer of his town, and also
appointed Justice of the Peace. In 1855 he was
elected to the office of Water Commissioner for
three years for the south division of the city.



504



ORRINGTON'JAJNT.



On the expiration of his first term he was re-elect-
ed, and during the last three years he served as
Treasurer and President of the Board. At the
end of the six years the city departments were con-
solidated in the Board of Public Works. He was
made a Director of the Galena & Chicago Union
Railroad in 1855, and continued as such until the
consolidation of the road with the Northwestern.
For several years he was one of the Auditors of
the Board of Directors, and his time was largely
given to the business of the office. During his
last two years with the road he served as its Vice-
President. In 1877 Mr. Lunt was elected by the
lot owners of Rose Hill Cemetery Company as
one of the three trustees for the care of the lot
owners' fund. He was President of the Board,
and for the last few years its Treasurer. It has
been well managed, and a fund of $100,000 col-
lected and now in their hands has been invested
in Cook County and city bonds.

Mr. Lunt had previously leased his warehouse,
but the parties failed after the panic of 1857, and
he took possession of it in 1859. Forming a
partnership with his brother, S. P. I,unt, they
used the warehouse as a canal elevator, and did a
large business, sometimes handling three and a-
half million bushels annually. Impaired health,
however, forced him to abandon the grain trade
in 1862, and in 1865 he started for the Old World
with his family, spending two years abroad, dur-
ing which time he visited many of the famous
cities of Europe and Asia.

Mr. Lunt was united in marriage, on the i6th
of January, 1842, to Cornelia A. Gray. Her father,
Hon. Samuel Gray, was a prominent attorney of
Bowdoinham, his native town, and was Repre-
sentative, Senator and a member of the Gover-
nor's Council of the State. He was also promi-
nent in commercial circles. Four children were
born unto Mr. and Mrs. Lunt, three sons and a
daughter, but one son died in infancy. Horace,
who graduated from Harvard University, is a
leading attorney; and George is a sturdy busi-
ness man. Cornelia G., the accomplished daugh-
ter, seems to have inherited her father's philan-
thropic nature, and takes a most active part in
charitable and benevolent work.



During the late war the Union found in Mr.
I<unt a faithful friend. He was a member of the
Committee of Safety and War Finance, appointed
at the first meeting, which convened April 13,
1 86 1. The Sunday after the fall of Sumter he
spent in raising supplies and in preparing the first
regiment to start from this city to Cairo. His
labors in behalf of the army and the Union then
continued until victory perched on the banners of
the North. Four years after the commencement
of the struggle he had the pleasure of being
present when the Old Flag was again flung to the
breeze from the battlements of the fort, attending
the Grand Review of the victorious army, and
visiting the principal cities of the late Confed-
eracy.

When about twenty years of age, Mr. Lunt
joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his
name is inseparably connected with the history of
its growth in this locality. For about twenty
years he was Trustee of the Clark Street Method-
ist Church, and during much of that time was
Secretary of the Board. He bought several lots
on the corner of State and Harrison Streets in
1848, and five years later sold them on three
years' time to the church at cost price. That
ground was afterwards exchanged for the site of
the Wabash Avenue Methodist Church, to which
he transferred his membership in 1858. He has
always given most liberally for the erection of
church edifices, both of his own and other denom-
inations in the city, and struggling churches in
the West. Of the Clark Seminary at Aurora, he
was one of the first Trustees. This was built by
a private company, but subsequently turned over
to the church without compensation. He was
one of the charter members, and has been Secre-
tary, Treasurer and General Business Agent of
the Garrett Biblical Institute from its organiza-
tion in 1853. I Q company with a few others, he
procured the charter for and incorporated the
Northwestern University of Evanston. The com-
mittee was appointed to secure a site. They
wished to get land on the lake front, but could
find none which they thought near enough to the
city, and were almost closing a deal for property
in Jefferson. Through the instrumentality of



MATERNUS SCHAEFER.



505



Mr. Lunt, however, who, in riding one day, vis-
ited the present site of Evanston, the business was
deferred, and his judgment led to the selection of
the spot where now stands the University. To
this institution he has contributed in time, energy
and money, and while he was in Europe the board
set aside land, now valued at $100,000, which he
had given, as the Orrington I,unt library Fund.
Desirous, also, to render possible the erection of
a suitable library building, he has given $50,000
toward the one now in process of completion.
This splendid building is of Bedford stone, beau-
tiful in style, graceful and enduring. The finest
structure on the campus, it is a fitting memorial
of the man whose name it perpetuates in the let-
ters carved upon its noble entrance: THE OR-
RINGTON LUNT LIBRARY. He has always been
on the executive committee of the school, and
has been largely instrumental in the success of
the institution. He was early connected with the
Chicago Orphan Asylum, and raised nearly $20,-
ooo to complete the edifice, while a member of
the building committee in the summer of 1854.

The Chicago fire consumed the home of Mr.
Lunt and all of the buildings from which he de-
rived an income. The winter following he served
on the Special Fire Relief Committee. Many
Methodist Churches and the Garrett Biblical In-
stitute also suffered great losses, and a committee
to devise means for their relief was appointed by
the Rock River Conference. Arrangements were
made to solicit funds, and Mr. Lunt became Sec-



retary and Treasurer. For eighteen months he
was actively engaged in the disbursement and
collection of the money raised, about $150,000.
By this means he was enabled to rebuild the Gar-
rett building, the structure being finer than the
former one. When he could find time for his own
work he built the fine banking-house occupied by
Preston, Kean & Co. He has truly borne his
part in the upbuilding of Chicago.

On the i6th of January, 1842, was celebrated
the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lunt, and a half-
century later was celebrated their golden wedding.
Two hundred friends met to extend to this worthy
couple their congratulations for the happy years
that had passed, to review the lives so well spent,
and to wish them the return of many more such
pleasant occasions. The co-workers of Mr. Lunt
in church, in business and in his university labors
all bore their testimony, not only to his pleasant
companionship, but to his honorable, upright life
and exemplary character. Many beautiful gifts
attested the esteem and love of guests, which
could not be expressed in words alone. Al-
though Mr. Lunt has led a very prominent life,
he is yet retiring and very unassuming in man-
ner. He has followed the Golden Rule, has
walked in the light as he saw it, has been un-
wearied in well-doing, and when he shall have
been called to the home beyond he will leave to
his family what Solomon says is better than great
riches, ' ' a good name. ' '



MATERNUS SCHAEFER.



I ATERNUS SCHAEFER, a retired farmer
residing in Gross Point, has, as {the result
of his enterprise and industry in former
years, acquired a competency that now enables
him to lay aside business cares. Reclaims Prus-
sia as the land of his birth, which occurred on
the 26th of August, 1833. He is the eldest in the
family of thirteen children born to Peter and



Lena (Bleser) Schaefer. In 1843 the parents
bade adieu to the Fatherland, and, having crossed
the briny deep to the New World, took up their
residence in New Trier Township, Cook County,
where they continued to make their home until
called to their final rest. The father died June
12, 1894, in his ninetieth year, and his wife passed
away in 1891, at the age of seventy-nine. They



506



GEORGE WEIMER.



were well-known and highly-respected people,
and further mention of them and their children is
made in connection with the sketch of John
Schaefer, on another page of this work.

The gentleman of whom we write became fa-
miliar with farming in all its details at an early
age. He was married on the 26th of August,
1854, to Miss Mary Schaefer, daughter of John
Schaefer, a tanner. She was born in Prussia,
November 4, 1835, and died May 21, 1891, the
last of her family to pass away. Fourteen chil-
dren were born of this union, seven sons and
seven daughters, of whom two sons and six daugh-
ters are yet living, namely: Katrina, who was
born March 4, 1856, and is the wife of Louis A.
Brucks, a real-estate dealer and insurance agent
of Englewood; Christina, who was born Decem-
ber 19, 1857, and is the wife of Mathias Wagner,
a carpenter and contractor of Englewood; Anna
Maria, who was born March 26, 1861, and is the
wife of Gerhard StefFens, a liquor dealer of Gross
Point; Peter Joseph, who was born December 29,
1862, and is a contractor and builder of Wilmette;
Frank, who was born October 18, 1864, and fol-
lows farming at Gross Point; Helena, who was
born February 21, 1867, and is the wife of Peter



Sesterhenn, an agriculturist of the same locality.
Margarite, born November 24, 1868, wife of Max
Engels, who is engaged in the beer-bottling busi-
ness at Gross Point; and Eva, who was born No-
vember 13, 1870, and is the wife of William Wer-
ner, a teamster of Chicago.

Mr. Schaefer and his family are Catholics in
religious faith, belonging to St. Joseph's Church
in Gross Point. He cast his first Presidential
vote for Buchanan, then supported Lincoln, and
has since been a stanch Republican. He has
filled the offices of Town Collector, was President
of the Village Board for thirteen years, and has
been School Director for a quarter of a century.
He is a member of St. Joseph's Library and Sick
Benefit Association, and is a loyal citizen, devoted
to the best interests of the community. He now
owns thirty-five acres of valuable land on section
33, New Trier Township, besides a number of
residences in Wilmette. He is a worthy repre-
sentative of an honored pioneer family, and is a
highly-respected citizen, whose excellencies of
character have gained for him the confidence and
esteem of all with whom he has been brought in
contact.



GEORGE WEIMER.



WEIMER is one among the repre-
|_ sentative citizens of Lemont. He was born
^_J in Nassau, Germany, on the 23d of Septem-
ber, 1835, and is a son of John and Margaret
(Weis) Weimer. The father was a blacksmith,
and died when George was only five years old.
Three years later, Mrs. Weimer became the wife
of John Noll.

Our subject was the third in a family of four



children, two sons and two daughters. At the
age of five years, he began to attend the public
schools, and finished the course at the age of
twelve. During the next two years he attended
the high school and also took lessons as a private
student, acquiring a good practical education. In
1853, he left Germany for the United States, and
landed at New York on the 23d of August of that
year. In New York City and Raritan, New Jer-



GEORGE WEIMER.



507






sey, during the succeeding two years, he learned
the cabinet-maker's trade, after which he started
westward, arriving in Chicago August 23, 1855.
There he learned carpentering and made the city
his home until the latter part of 1857, a portion



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 77 of 111)