Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 78 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 78 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the time being engaged as a carpenter and
builder. In November of that year he went to
Europe and returned with his parents and their
family the following spring. They settled near
Downer's Grove, Du Page County, and Mr.
Weimer resided in Chicago, where he did business
as a contractor. He erected many buildings in
various parts of Cook County. In 1860, became
to Lemont.

On the 23d of June, 1861, Mr. Weimer and
Miss Elizabeth C. Hein were united in marriage
in this place. The lady is a native of the same
town as her husband and came to America with
her parents in 1856.

After two or three years' residence in Lemont,
Mr. Weimer removed to Chicago, where he was
engaged in merchandising until 1865, at which
time he went to New Buffalo, Michigan, and car-
ried on contracting and building, erecting more
than a hundred buildings during his stay there.
For years he devoted his time and attention to
merchandising, and also held the offices of Asses-
sor and Supervisor from 1867 until 1877. For
ten years he was also Justice of the Peace. In
1877, he returned to Lemont, where he has since
resided. For a short time, in company with his
brother, Andrew Weimer, he conducted a wagon
and blacksmith shop, but during the greater part
of the time he has been a contractor and builder. In
1879, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and held
that office for four years. In 1893, he was again
elected to that position, and is kept busy during '
the greater part of the time in the discharge of
his official duties.

Mr. and Mrs Weimer have become the^parents
of seven children, namely: George A.; Rosa, wife
of Peter Meilinger, of Chicago; Mary Ann, Joseph
M., Maria Elizabeth, Frank Joseph and Benjamin
Franklin.

George A. Weimer, of Lemont, is a son of
George and Elizabeth C. Weimer, whose sketch is



given above. He was born at this place on the
5th of June, 1862, and obtained a good education
in the schools of the town, where he spent his
early life, attending until nineteen years of age.
In 1882, he began to learn the drug business, and
continued in that line until May, 1893, becoming
in the mean time a very proficient pharmacist.
His first employer was G. A. Bodenschatz, with
whom he remained six years, when J. G. Boden-
schatz succeeded to the business, and Mr. Weimer
spent the remaining years in his employ. His
genial disposition and good character made him
a favorite with Lemont people, and when but
twenty-one years of age, he was elected to office,
and from that time to the present he has filled
some public position. In 1883, he was elected
Town Clerk and filled that office until 1888, when
he was appointed City Clerk, thus serving until
the next election, when he was elected. In dis-
charging the duties of that position his time was
passed until April, 1893, he being annually re-
elected. At the last-mentioned date, he was
elected Township Supervisor, and was again the
people's choice in 1894. In 1893, he was ap-
pointed to a place in the County Treasurer's office,
which he held until February, 1894, when he was
made deputy in the office of the Recorder of Deeds
in Cook County, in which capacity he is now
serving. In the fall of the present year (1894)
he was nominated by the Democracy as the can-
didate of that party for State Senator from the
Seventh Senatorial District.

On the 22d of October, 1883, Mr. Weimer was
joined in wedlock with Miss Lizzie V. Hettingei,
daughter of George Hettinger, who came to Le-
nient about 1863. He was a member of the first
volunteer fire company of Chicago. To them
four children, two sons and two daughters, were
born, all of whom died of diphtheria in less than
two weeks' time, in May. 1893. The death of his
children destroyed Mr. Weimer's faith in the ef-
ficacy of medicines and caused him to abandon
pharmacy. He is an ardent and influential sup-
porter of Democracy and a member of several fra-
ternal societies.



508



W. S. WHITE.



WILLIAM S. WHITE, M. D.



SEYMOUR WHITE, M. D., is a
native of Greenwood, McHenry County,
Illinois, and was born on the sotli of De-
cember, 1864. The records show, and the Doc-
tor modestly admits, that he is descended on the
maternal side from Francis Capet (Coquilette) ,
the Huguenot half-brother of L,ouis XIV., King
of France, who, on account of the persecutions to
which that sect was subjected, fled to America,
and, changing his name to Coquilette, became the
progenitor of a numerous family in Westchester
County, New York, and later removed with his
family to Rockland County, New York. His de-
scendant, William Coquilette, the great-grand-
father of the subject of this sketch, died in Rock-
land County, New York, at an early age. Maria
(Garrison) Coquilette, his wife, died at the age
of eighty-eight years. Peter Cook, Dr. White's
maternal grandfather, a native of New York and
a descendant of the Knickerbockers, married
Eletta, daughter of William and Maria Coquilette.
Capt. William White, the paternal grandfather
of Dr. White, was born in the city of Gottenburg,
Sweden, in 1813, and at an early age became a
sailor. In his voyages, Capt. White carried
troops to Mexico while the United States was at
war with that country, transported the first ship-
load of stone for the construction of Ft. Moultrie,
and twice circumnavigated the globe. His wife,
who still survives him, was Mary Ehrhardt, of
Philadelphia.

William R. White, the father of the subject ol
this sketch, and the son of Capt. William and
Mary White, was born in New York City, in
1841, and has been engaged in mercantile pur-
suits all his life. He married Emily A. Cook,
daughter of Peter and Eletta Cook, two children,



William S. and Wilomene T., being the result
of this union.

William S. White came to Chicago with his
parents in 1865. He received his education in
the public schools of Chicago. His first work
was in the grocery store of John A. Tolman & Co. ,
where he remained a year. He later entered the
employ of D. S. Munger & Co. as office boy, and
in three years worked his way upward to the
position of cashier. In 1884 he entered the Chi-
cago Homeopathic Medical College. At that time
the course required only two years, but he at-
tended three years, and during the season of
1886-87 demonstrated anatomy to the class of
which he was a member, and also a part of that
time to the senior class. He graduated in 1888.
Following his graduation, he was successful in
winning honors in a competitive examination, and
during the years 1888 and 1889 was interne in
the Cook County Hospital for eighteen months.
Subsequently he was called to Rochester, New
York, where he opened and put in practical oper-
ation the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital, com-
monly known as the Monroe Avenue Hospital.

Returning to Chicago, Dr. White entered into
the general practice of medicine and dermatology,
..in which he has since been engaged, with office
at No. 70 State Street. In the fall of 1889 he re-
ceived the appointment of Demonstrator of An-
atomy in the Chicago Homeopathic College. In
1890 he was made clinical assistant in the depart-
ment of dermatology, and in 1893 was appointed
Adjunct Professor of Physiology in the same insti-
tution. In January, 1893, he received the ap-
pointment of Dermatologist in the homeopathic
department of the Cook County Hospital, and
still fills all of these positions. He is a member



JEROME BEECHER.



509



of the Illinois Homeopathic Medical Association
and of the American Institute of Homeopathy.
He holds membership in two fraternal organiza-
tions, being medical examiner in the Improved
Order of Heptasophs.

On the sth of October, 1892, Dr. White was
united in marriage with Miss Isabelle Stone, of
Charlotte, Vermont, daughter of Luther D. and
Phoebe (Rogers) Stone.

To judge the future from the past, it is not diffi-
cult to predict for Dr. White success in a much



greater measure than usually falls to the lot of
the medical practitioner. His mind is active, his
memory retentive, his habits studious, his com-
prehension of the science of medicine rapid, intui-
tive and thorough. His manner is easy, affable
and vivacious, with a dash of bonhomie, which,
no doubt, is inherited from his Gallic ancestors.
It is not too much to say that mental attrition
with Dr. White would brighten many preten-
tious members of the medical profession.



JEROME BEECHER.



HERO ME BEECHER, among the early, sub-
I stantial and most exemplary citizens of Chi-
O cago, was a scion of old and well-known New
England stock. His father, Mather Beecher was
one of the pioneers of Central New York, going
thither from New Haven, Connecticut. He was
a tanner by occupation, and gave to his family
the training which has developed so much of
thrift, enterprise and morality among the sons of
New England, and has made an indelible impres-
sion upon the religious, educational and mercan-
. tile conditions of the United States, and particul-
arly the northern half of the country. Wherever
a leaven of Yankee blood is found in a community,
there are sure to be found churches, schools, fac-
tories and sound business men, Chicago was es-
pecially fortunate' in that the major portion of her
pioneers came from the land of industrious habits
and careful economy, and to this cause alone
may be attributed her wonderful progress in busi-
ness supremacy, as well as in social and moral
culture.

Jerome Beecher was born in the town of Rem-
sen, Oneida County, New York, January 4, 1818.
His first implement for self-help was the intellect-



ual training afforded by the village school, and
he was early made familiar with the occupation
of his father, mastering all that pertained to the
manufacture of leather and its uses. His natural
sagacity and shrewdness, with these helps, en-
abled him to conduct the large business which he
built up in later years, and to manage intricate
financial trusts which were placed in his care.

The year 1838 found him in Chicago, whither
his father sent him to look after a stock of
leather, boots, shoes and findings which had been
entrusted to an incompetent or unfaithful agent.
He managed this undertaking with such success
and found such glowing prospects in the young
city that he decided to remain here and engage in
business permanently. At that time the center
of business clustered about the corner of I/ake and
LaSalle streets, and his pioneer store was among
those forming the group. He shortly set up a
tannery, which was destroyed by fire about 1858.
During these years, he had grown in wealth with
the rapid growth of the city and surrounding
country, his industry and integrity bringing him
a large trade, which he retained until he de-
cided to retire and give attention to his invest-



5 10



JEROME BEECHER.



ments. His accumulations had been invested in
land and improved real estate. With other care-
ful investments, these had grown in value beyond
his fondest anticipations, and he found himself
while yet in vigorous middle life a man of in-
dependent means, and at the time of his demise,
after more than half a century's residence here,
his estate had become very valuable.

He became interested in the gas business as
early as 1850, and was made a director in the Chi-
cago Gas Light & Coke Company. He was in-
terested in the Merchants' Savings, Loan &
Trust Company, and was one of the purchasers of
the Chicago West Division Railroad, of which he
was many years a director, in 1863. A recent
writer says: "Among the enterprises of his
earlier years, for which he should be remembered
with grateful regard by those who survive, was
his connection as trustee and treasurer with the
Graceland Cemetery Improvement Company, in
whose peaceful grounds so many once active in the
brisk life of Chicago have found their last resting
place."

Mr. Beecher had in his youth attended the
worship of the Unitarian society near his home in
New York, and he adhered to the faith which
he there imbibed throughout his long and useful
life. The First Unitarian Society of Chicago
was a feeble band, in the third year of its exist-
ence, when he came to Chicago, and to his zealous
aid much of its subsequent strength is due. At
his decease, after completing more than the
allotted years of the scripture, the church pre-
pared and had engraved a most beautiful and
touching memorial, which was presented to his
widow. He was a member of the Calumet Club,
whose meetings of old settlers in annual reunion
gave him great pleasure. The Old Settlers' As-
sociation embraced most of his business and social
companions, and he was prominent in its con-
duct. Mr. Beecher always endeavored to fulfill
the duties of citizenship, but was conspicious in
politics only once in his life. This was in the
memorable campaign of 1840, when the Demo-
cratic party was overthrown and William Henry
Harrison, the Whig candidate, elected to the
Presidency. Mr. Beecher was a delegate in the



convention which nominated Harrison, and took
part in the political meetings held in a log cabin
on the north side, near Rush Street bridge.

In his business relations, Mr. Beecher was a
man of unspotted integrity, careful and quiet in
action, and reticent in speaking of himself or his
affairs. One of his favorite methods of benevolent
action was the assistance of some worthy man in
starting in business, realizing that the truest way
to help others is to teach and aid them to help
themselves. He loved to gather children and
young people about him, and a number were
taken into his family and educated. He was es-
pecially fond of music, and to his own family con-
nections and friends he was ever generous. His
style of living was unostentatious, and his hab-
its were simple and domestic. In bearing, he
was affable and considerate, and he always spoke
charitably of men, making it a rule never to speak
ill of any person.

Four years after his arrival in Chicago, Mr.
Beecher took a helpmeet in the person of Miss
Mary Warren, daughter of Daniel Warren, whose
biography will be found on another page of this
book, and she proved in every way a companion
to him. Mrs. Beecher's twin sister married
Silas B. Cobb, another pioneer leather merchant
(see skeech in this work). The sisters so closely
resembled each other as to be often mistaken, one
for the other.

The first housekeeping experience of Mr. and
Mrs. Beecher was in a modest rented house at the
corner of Lake Street and Michigan Avenue, and
they afterwards built a home on Michigan Ave-
nue. The advance of business drove them to
several removals until thi family homestead at
No. 241 Michigan Avenue was constructed. This
is one of two or three which escaped the flames in
the great fire of 187 1 , and is almost the sole repre-
sentative on the lake front of ' 'old Chicago. ' ' Here
they dwelt for more than thirty years, and here
Mrs. Beecher continues to reside. She is greatly in-
terested in benevolent work, and has been active in
promoting several of the most important charities
of the city, regarding a fortune as a blessing only
in the proportion it is devoted to doing good.






LIBRARY
OF THE
DIVERSITY OF ILL!'




WILLIAM METZGER



(From Photo by W. J. ROOT.)



WILLIAM METZGER.



WILLIAM METZGER,



P GJlLLIAM METZGER. For more than half
\ A I a century this worthy pioneer has resided

V V in Chicago, and in that long interval he
has drawn to himself many true friends. He
was born May 30, 1825, inLangau, near Frank-
fort-on-the-Main, Province of Hesse- Darmstadt,
Germany. Both his parents, Henry and Margaret
Metzger, were natives of the same place and were
members of old and highly-respected German
families. Henry Metzger kept a meat market
and also conducted an inn. The parents died
when William was yet a mere boy, leaving a
large family, five of whose members became
residents of the United States.

The subject of this sketch was the enterprising
one who first left his native land and settled in
America. The next year he was followed by his
sisters, Mary and Katharine, both of whom are
now deceased. Hermann arrived in 1850, settled
in Burlington, Iowa, and died there many years
ago. Adolph resides in Chicago, whither he
came in 1853.

William Metzger attended the parish school
until he reached the age of fourteen years, when
he was obliged to become self-supporting, as the
large family was not well provided for, on ac-
count of the premature death of the parents.
Immediately on leaving school he was appren-
ticed to a butcher to learn the trade, and served
three and one-half years, after which he con-
tinued to work at his trade in Frankfort until

1847.



In May of that year he left home and kindred
behind him to seek a fortune in a new and
strange land. The native American can realize
little of the sorrow and loneliness that beset the
foreigner when he first sets foot in a country
whose language and customs are nearly altogether
new and uncongenial to him. Proceeding down
the River Rhine, young Metzger went to Lon-
don, England, where he took passage on a sail-
ing vessel bound for New York, and spent six
tedious weeks on the ocean. The prospect might
well daunt a stout heart, but he was determined
to make his way, and went first to Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, where he might hear a familiar word
and become somewhat accustomed to the ways
and language of the country. He arrived there
in time to witness the celebration of the nation's
birthday, which took place the next day. In
October he went to Buffalo, New York, and was
employed at his trade there until September of
the following year, when he carried out his pur-
pose to cast his lot with the growing city of
Chicago.

Here he toiled two years in the service of Ellis
& Clybourn, the well-known early meat dealers,
and then set up a market of his own, on West
Randolph Street, having a partner in the person
of Frederick Steigele. A short time later, in
1852, they bought out Peter Beygeh, on Market
Street, and continued there two years. Mr.
Metzger then purchased ground on Canal Street,
between Polk and Mather Streets, where he es-



512



A. B. KIRCHHOFF.



tablished himself alone as soon as he could erect
a building for the purpose. Here he conducted
a profitable business until 1860, when he re-
moved to the corner of Fifteenth and Canal
Streets and continued there eight years. This
property he rented and established himself in a
small packing house on Lumber Street, near
Halsted. This he carried on until 1876. In that
year he moved his residence to the corner of
Lumber and Halsted Streets, where he continued
to reside until 1883. At this time he built a
house at the corner of Fifty-sixth Street and
Kimbark Avenue, and lived in retirement from
business six years.

In 1889 he was active in organizing the Chi-
cago Brewing Company, and was one of the di-
rectors and its president and treasurer five years.
At the end of this period he sold his stock in the
concern. In 1893 the Valentine Mueller Pack-
ing Company was organized at Nos. 502 and 504
Larrabee Street, and Mr. Metzger has been a
stockholder in that concern ever since.

He has ever been a shrewd and energetic busi-
ness man, and success has amply rewarded his
efforts. Though never a politician in the sense
of seeking office, he has frequently made his in-
fluence felt in political contests. He is a Re-



publican from principle, and supports a partisan
ticket in national affairs, but is independent of
any organization in local contests. He is a
charter member of Herder Lodge, No. 669, An-
cient Free and Accepted Masons, and was several
years its treasurer.

September 22, 1852, at Buffalo, New York, he
was married to Miss Katharine Teutsch, a native
of Bavaria, having been born February 26, 1836,
at Sieferstadt, in the Rhein-Pfalz. Six of their
children are living, namely: Mary, wife of Valen-
tine Mueller; Anna, now Mrs. W. H. Wallace;
Augusta, wife of John W. Popp; Margaret, Mrs.
Frederick Handtmann; Charles W. and Emma,
still residing with their parents. The family is
identified with St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran
Church.

Mr. Metzger is a thorough American in prin-
ciple and has always done his full duty in promot-
ing the best interests of the city and state. His
business cares have not dulled his nature, and he
is still hale and hearty. A man of large stature,
of kind heart and genial manners, with well-
preserved body and mind, he still holds the
friendship of a long and busy business life, and
enjoys the respect and kind wishes of all who
have been privileged to know him.



AUGUST B. KIRCHHOFF.



Gl UGUST BERNARD KIRCHHOFF is the
Jl son of Henry Kirchhoff, whose biography
/ | appears on another page of this volume,
and to which the reader is referred for informa-
tion.

He has born May 13, 1863, and passed the
first twenty- two years of his life at his father's
home. He then started out to make his own
way in life, bringing to bear the same energy and
industry that have marked his subsequent career.
His first employment was as a station agent for



the Chicago, Milwaukee & Saint Paul Railway
Company at Pingree Grove, Illinois. For five
years he discharged the duties of this responsible
post with scrupulous fidelity, and for three and
one-half years thereafter was at Franklin Park.
His next business undertaking was the operation
of a printing office on Peoria Street, in partner-
ship with D. L. Gill, the firm name being Kirch-
hoff & Gill. This venture he abandoned after a
year, to accept a clerical position with Morgan &
Wright. For twelve months he remained with



JOHN HARLEV.



513



this firm, at the expiration of which period he
entered the office of the auditor of the Milwaukee
and Saint Paul Railway Company as clerk, and
has continued in the service of that corporation
ever since.

He was married January 24, 1887, to Elizabeth
Ellen Scoffern, a daughter of Richard Scoffern,
of Allen, Michigan. She is a native of England,
where she was born March 26, 1866.



Mr. Kirchhoff became a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America in 1888, and is also a
member of Franklin Park Council, No. 107,
Royal League, of Franklin Park. He is scribe
of that body, and has held the office ever since
its institution.

In politics he is a Republican, and has been
treasurer of Franklin Park ever since the organ-
ization of that village.



JOHN HARLEV.



(JOHN HARLEV. "The profession of dent-
I istry," as Oliver Wendell Holmes has beau-
Q) tifully and truthfully said, "has established
and prolonged the reign of beauty; it has added
to the charms of social intercourse and lent per-
fection to the accents of eloquence; it has taken
from old age its most unwelcome feature, and
lengthened human life far beyond the limits of
the years when the toothless and purblind patri-
arch might well exclaim, 'I have no pleasure in
them.' "

It is of this noble profession that Dr. John
Harlev is a distinguished member. He is de-
scended from a prominent family of Denmark, in
which country he was born June 14, 1858. His
grandfather, Jens Harlev, was a teacher and dea-
con and director of church music, and was the
father of six sons, of whom five were dragoons
and one a musician.

Dr. Harlev's father, Niels Henning Harlev,
served as a soldier in three wars those of 1848,
1851 and 1864. By occupation he was a building
contractor, and he erected many mills, as well as
numerous churches. He still lives (1900) in the
land which he has served so well, in retirement
upon a farm; and although eighty years old he
yet retains every physical and mental power.



Mrs. Harlev, Senior, whose maiden name was
Marie Raven, is also living, in hale and hearty
form, at the age of sixty-eight years.

The doctor's boyhood and youth were passed
in his native country. Until he reached the age
of fourteen years he attended the common
schools, and for three years afterward he worked
upon a farm. The military blood of his ances-
tors, however, coursed through his veins, and he
abandoned the plowshare for the accoutrements
of a soldier. For two years he was a corporal,
and then, trying the examination for promotion
to a lieutenancy, he failed to pass. It was this
circumstance that led to his voluntary withdrawal
from the service, and ultimately to the dental
profession gaining an honored member and the
United States a valued citizen.

On quitting the army he went to Copenhagen,
where for six years he was connected with the
police force, and during half that time held a
high position in the service. One of his most



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 78 of 111)