Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 79 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 79 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


valued possessions is the written testimonial
given him by the department on the occasion of
his retirement.

It was at Copenhagen that he studied his pro-
fession; attending a dental school there two
years, and subsequently practicing in that city



PETER HORSLEV.



one year. In 1890 he came to America, and has
since been a resident of Chicago. His first loca-
tion here was at the corner of Wallace and Thir-
ty-fifth Streets, but after remaining there one
year he removed to his present suite of offices at
the corner of Halsted and Thirty-fifth Streets.

Since coming to this city he has supplemented
his studies in Denmark by eighteen months' at-
tendance at lectures at the College of Physicians
and Surgeons and by obtaining a degree from the
Northwestern Dental College.



Before crossing the ocean he had taken to him-
self a wife in the person of Miss Anna Benson,
who was born in Norway, and to whom he was
married in 1883. Four children have been born to
them, only one of whom Odette is still living.

Dr. Harlev was formerly a member of
"Walhalla," but has severed his connection with
that body. He is, however, a Free Mason, an
Odd Fellow and a member of the American Fra-
ternal League, Danish Brotherhood and Sister-
hood in America and Royal Arcanum.



PETER HORSLEV.



|~^ETER HORSLEV, a resident of Chicago for
LX fifteen years, was born in Jutland, Den-
K) mark, June 4, 1858. His father, Jens Hors-
lev, was a native of Germany, but removed to
Denmark at the time of the Revolution. There
he married a Danish lady, Marie Petersen, and
reared a family of six children, of whom the sub-
ject of this brief sketch is the youngest. The
paternal Horslev was by trade a butcher, and
died in 1867, in the land of his adoption. His
widow survived him thirty years, passing away
in 1897.

At the age of fourteen years Peter Horslev
left school to enter upon a three years' apprentice-
ship at the carpenter's trade; and on becoming a
journeyman, resolved to see the world. He
started out when but a youth of seventeen and
traveled over Germany, Austria, Servia, Bulgaria
and Roumania, visiting also Silesia and Sweden.
His journeyings extended over a period of five and
one-half years, he working at his trade in the
many lands through which he passed. Returning
to his native country, he remained two years,
still working at the bench, and in 1883 he led to
the altar his countrywoman, Miss Minnie Ras-
mussen. The following year he concluded to try



his fortunes in the Western Hemisphere, and in
1884 sailed for America. He left his wife and
infant child behind, and sent for them the next
year.

He first went to Detroit, where he worked as a
journeyman for some four months; but, not feel-
ing satisfied, he came to Chicago. For six years
he was an employe, but in 1890 he started in
business for himself as a contractor. Seven years
later he gave up this pursuit to engage in the
sale of tea and coffee, which he still conducts.

Reference has been made to Mr. Horslev's mar-
riage in Denmark. His wife bore him five chil-
dren, of whom one died in infancy. The names
of those living are: Astria, Sorena, Olga and
Alma. After twelve years of happy wedded life
the mother passed away, and for four years Mr.
Horslev remained a widower. In 1899 he took
a second wife in the person of Mrs. Emma Bjorn,
whose husband, Charles Bjorn, had died eight
years before. The second Mrs. Horslev was the
mother of four children, Jennie, Amy, Celia and
Alvin Bjorn, all of whom live with their mother
and step-father.

Mr. Horslev is an active member of the Wal-
halla Society, in which he takes an ardent inter-



W. S. SCHROEDER.



est. He is at present serving his third term as
president of the order, having previously been
vice-president, fie has also been prominently
identified with organized labor in Chicago since
the first movement to secure an eight-hour day,
in 1886. For three years he was an officer in
Carpenters' Union No. 23, for a year and one-



half a delegate to the Carpenters' Council, and a
delegate to the Trade and Labor Assembly for
about twelve months. In politics he is affiliated
with the Socialist-Labor party, and is president
of the company publishing the Arbcjderen, a Dan-
ish weekly paper published at Chicago in the in-
terests of the working people.



WILLIAM S. SCHROEDER.



STEENBERG SCHROEDER,
f reman i the Chicago & Northwestern
Railway Shops, was born in Middeferry,
Denmark, September 23, 1842, and is the son of
Frederick William and Elizabeth Schroeder, both
of whom died recently in Denmark. Frederick
W. Schroeder died in 1894, aged seventy-six
years, and his wife in 1898, at the age of eighty-
seven years. They were the parents of three
sons and two daughters. The sons all came to
America. Noble, who reached America in 1866,
is a druggist at No. 229 Jackson Park Terrace;
William came to America in 1868, and J. C.,
who came several years later, died in Chicago in
1886.

William S. Schroeder was educated in the
schools of his native place. He learned the trade
of ship carpenter and made voyages for thirteen
years, a part of that time as ship's carpenter, and
the remainder as mate, having passed an exami-
nation and secured his license for that purpose.
His voyages took in nearly all of the world. He
sailed three times around Cape of Good Hope,
visited the Indies, Mediterranean Sea, California,
Iceland and many other places and was once
ship-wrecked off the coast of Finland. In 1868
he shipped at Liverpool, England, as mate in an
American sailing vessel, and after landing in
New York decided to come to Chicago, where
one of his brothers resided.



After sailing on the lakes one summer he en-
tered the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern
Railway Company in the shops at Chicago. In
a few years he was promoted to be assistant fore-
man, and later was made foreman in the car-
building department, which position he has held
about twenty-five years. His long term of serv-
ice is the best evidence of his skill as a mechanic
and his fidelity to duty.

Mr. Schroeder has a reputation as an inventor,
and has patented a number of useful devices.
One of the most important is the Chicago car-
coupler, patented in 1889, and which is in use all
over the Chicago & Northwestern system, as well
as on several other roads. Another invention of
his is the grain car door, now used on the Chi-
cago & North western system, and on other roads.

Mr. Schroeder is interested in fraternity and
the teachings of secret societies, and is a member
of the Knights of Pythias, the National Union,
and also of the Mutual Aid Association of the
company in whose employ he is at the present
time. In 1874 he married Annie Melkild, a na-
tive of Norway, who came to the United States
while yet a child. Of this union two children,
Elenor and Charles, have been born. Mrs.
Schroeder passed from this life in 1883, sincerely
mourned by a host of friends and relatives.

While not taking an active part in politics, Mr.
Schroeder has always been sufficiently interested



516



JOHN ESCH.



in public affairs to exercise his frauchise in the
interest of good government, and though oc-
casionally voting for a man of the opposite party,
he has generally supported the Republican ticket.
He is not a member of any church, but is a man
of exemplary habits and exerts is influence in
the interests of morality.

His life has been spent during the past quarter



of a century, largely, in devising ways and means
by which the life and limbs of his fellow-men
might be preserved, and their usefulness aug-
mented through the use of his inventions. Truly,
of one whose efforts have been crowned with such
a measure of success it may be said that he has
not lived in vain, and that the world is happier
through him.



JOHN ESCH.



HOHN ESCH, who has played an important
I part in developing the agricultural resources
G) of Cook County, but is now retired, was
born September n, 1836, in the village of
Schale, province of Westphalia, Germany. His
parents were Gerhardt Lambert and Marie (Von
Haar) Esch. The father was a prominent citi-
zen of the village of Schale, his native place, and
carried on an extensive business as a building
contractor in that and the neighboring villages.
He also owned a farm of forty acres. Of tall
stature, weighing about one hundred and eighty
pounds, he possessed considerable education and
was a member of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church. He died in the spring of 1845, at the
age of sixty-five years, and his body lies buried
in his native village. He had one brother, John
Esch, who was also a carpenter. Mrs. Marie
Esch was a native of Schale, where she died in
1839, aged about sixty years. Following is the
record of her children :

Gerhardt Lambert Esch, born February 14,
1814, died in Leyden, Illinois, December 18,
1891. He was a wagon maker in Germany, re-
moved to Illinois in 1842 and settled at Bensen-
ville, where he built one of the first wagons made
there. He bought eighty acres of land on sec-
tion 16, in Ley den Township, for which he paid
the Government price of one and one-fourth dol-



lars per acre. Here he built a house, which is
still standing. He subsequently purchased twenty
acres in section 10, and continued farming until
1889, after which he lived with his brother, John
Esch. He was married about the time he pur-
chased his first land to Mrs. Mary Lageschulte,
who was born in Germany and died in Ley den in
1877.

Annie Esch, born about 1816, married a man
named Meier and became the mother of seven
daughters. She afterward came to America and
died about 1889, being then the wife of Mr.
Kluender. Mary Esch also came to this coun-
try, married John Kirk, had two children, and
lived at Quincy, Illinois, where she died about
the beginning of the Civil War. Elsebine Esch
remained in Germany, where she married Henry
Kuhlenbusch and had three children. Gerhardt
Esch learned the carpenter's trade and left home
for America at the age of twenty-one years, after
which his relatives never heard of him. Katharine
emigrated to Quincy, Illinois, where she married
and had two children. Both she and her hus-
band are dead. Henry Francis Esch died at the
age of twenty years, and one other child of his
parents died in infancy.

John Esch is the youngest of the family. He
received the benefit of the educational advantages
afforded by his native village and at the early age



A. C. RICHELSEN.



of fifteen years resolved to emigrate to America,
where his elder brother had already established
himself. The latter, being without children,
desired his younger brother to join him in his
American home. In company with a friend,
Frederick Frei, John Esch left Germany in
March, 1852, and finished a long ocean voyage
at New Orleans May 15 following. Proceeding
direct to Leyden he made his home with his
brother until 1859, when he married and settled
on a farm of forty acres. From 1857 to 1870 he
operated a threshing machine, with considerable
profit. By gradual purchases he acquired a
valuable farming property, comprising ninety
acres in section 35, twenty-four acres in section
36 and sixty acres at Manheim, all in the town
of Leyden. He built a house on section 35 in
1854, the work being done by Christoph Weiss.
This was repaired and enlarged from time to
time, and in 1885 a new residence was erected.

Mr. Esch carried on extensive farming opera-
tions until 1895, when he gave the responsibilities
and labors into younger hands and purchased
a handsome residence at No. 215 Chicago Ave-
nue, Oak Park, where he has since resided. He
has ever been a valued member of the Evangelical
Church, and has always enjoyed the respect and
esteem of his fellow-citizens. He has taken a
deep interest in education, and was school trustee
for a period of nine years. In political questions
he adheres to the principles promulgated by the
Republican party.

March 9, 1859, Mr. Esch was married to Miss
Loretta Ernestine Weiss, who was born Novem-



ber 4, 1840, in Goldlauder, Germany, and died
February 21, 1876, in Leyden. Her body was
first buried at Elgin, but was later removed to
Forest Home Cemetery. She was a daughter of
Christoph and Mary Weiss, who emigrated to
America about 1853.

To John and Loretta Esch were born the fol-
lowing children: February 29, 1860, Amelia,
now Mrs. Frank Robinson, residing at the corner
of Chicago and Sixty-fourth Avenues, Oak Park;
September 8, 1861, Henry Samuel, who died Oc.
tober 9, 1879; November 17, 1863, John William,
who married Emily Bessler and resides on the
family homestead in Leyden; March 16, 1866,
George Frederick, who died March 17, 1895;
July 6, 1868, Louis Franklin, now a farmer in
Clay County, Nebraska, who married Ida May
Newmann and has a son, Forest C. Esch; Octo-
ber 19, 1872, Heinrich Herman, now residing
with his brother on the old farm; August 4,
1875, Loretta Marie, who died October 2, 1876.

Mr. Esch was wedded a second time August
15, 1876, to Mary Rech, daughter of William
and Elizabeth (Schlierbach) Rech. Mrs. Esch
was born October 4, 1854, in the village of Bie-
ber, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. She came to
America in 1864, with her parents, who now re-
side in Elgin, Illinois. Six children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Esch, as follows: Hattie
Lillian, September 21, 1877; Edna Winona, Jan-
uary 19, 1879; Bertha Elizabeth Amelia, No-
vember 12, 1880; Willis Carl, August 13, 1882;
Frank Rech, November 23, 1883; and Emil Ed-
ward, June 6, 1887.



ANTON C RICHELSEN.



Gl NTON CARL RICHELSEN is one of those
LJ yet in the flush of early manhood, who have
/ I blazed their own path through the woods
with the axe whetted by industry, integrity and



perseverance. He was born April 19, 1868, at
Jyndevadt, in the Province of Schleswig, Ger-
many, where the language, antecedents and
character of the people are still essentially Dan-



E. C. BUNCK.



ish. His parents Peter and Johanna M. (Jo-
hanseu) Richelsen are still living, the father
being engaged in farming and also doing a mer-
cantile business.

A. C. Richelsen is the second in a family of
nine children, seven of whom are still living. He
remained at home until he was eleven years of
age, and then continued to work for neighboring
farmers until he attained his majority. He re-
ceived instruction in a parochial school until six-
teen years old, and entered the army, in accord-
ance with German usage, November 7, 1890.
He was called to Altona, Hamburg, to join the
Third Company, First Thyringschen Infantry
Regiment, No. 31, i n which he served two
years.

During the second year of his service a cholera
epidemic raged at Hamburg, and the troops
were sent to the barracks at Lokstadtlaga. Here
they were drilled two weeks, when they were ov-
ertaken by the epidemic, which swept away one
and one-half regiments. They were then moved
to Mecklenburg, where they remained seven
weeks. Soon after this time Mr. Richelsen,
with twenty-one others, was discharged from the
service with honor, having reduced their term
from three to two years by good behavior. Mr.
Richelsen beat the company snare drum during



his term, receiving the distinctions belonging to
that function. He left the army September 15,
1892, and remained at home with his parents
about three months, meantime working on the
farm.

In the early part of January, 1893, he bade
adieu to home and friends and set out for Chi-
cago. Here he worked about two years at vari-
ous occupations and then went to Grundy Coun-
ty, Illinois, where he continued two years in the
service of a farmer named Frank Holroyd. Re-
turning to Chicago about the first of December,
1896, he was married here on the fifteenth day of
that month to Miss Sorine M. Jensen, a Danish
lady by birth, who has since performed the part
of a faithful wife and helpmeet. In the following
spring he went to work as a teamster and contin-
ued four months, at the end of which time he
purchased a team and began business on his own
account. Two years later he added another team
and wagon, and is doing a successful and grow-
ing teaming business, with headquarters at his
residence, No. 2623 Shields Avenue.

Mr. Richelsen has been a member of the Wal-
halla Society since coming to this city. He has
a wide circle of acquaintances and is esteemed as
a faithful friend, an honest man and an upright
citizen.



EDWARD C BUNCK.



IT DWARD CHRISTIAN BUNCK first op-
ry ened his eyes in the northern part of Den-
L_ mark, at a place called Thisted, May 18,
1871. His father was a keeper of a restaurant
and was widely known and highly respected.
He had served in the war with Germany in 1864,
and the veterans of that memorable struggle were
held in reverence. Mr. Bunck's mother was, be-
fore marriage, Helene Petersen. She died in



1876. He has a sister older and a brother
younger than himself, and these three comprise
the family.

At the age of sixteen years Edward C. Bunck
had completed the course of training prescribed
in the Danish common schools, and was appren-
ticed to learn the trade of a painter. The three
years of his service having been completed, he at
once emigrated to the United States, coming di-






G. W. HANNIS.



rectly to Chicago. He reached this city June 5,
1891. His trade, his industry, his ambition and
his grit constituted by far the greater part of his
available capital. He also had seven dollars in
cash. He immediately sought and obtained work
as a journeyman.

Four years were enough for him to acquire
sufficient acquaintance with the language, cus-
toms and business methods of the people of a
strange land to enable him to go into business
with a slender capital, which temperance and
thrift had enabled him to slightly augment. In
1895 he struck out on his own account and has
since then been constantly prosperous, each year
seeing his efforts rewarded by fresh success. In
busy seasons he employs about ten men.

He opened his first shop at No. 449 Monticello
Avenue. Some eighteen mouths later he re-



moved to the corner of Forty-seventh Street and
Calumet Avenue. There he remained until
1899, when he established himself at his present
location, No. 4648 Calumet Avenue.

Mr. Bunck is an active and prominent member
of the Danish Brotherhood, having held, at vari-
ous times, the offices of recording secretary, fi-
nancial secretary, vice-president and president.
In politics he is a socialist, having been president
of the Danish Section No. i, for a year. He was
also, for a time, manager of the "Arbejderen," a
journal published in the interest of the socialist-
labor party, and is now one of the directors of
the company publishing it.

His tastes are refined, his disposition genial,
and his nature candid. He is a musician of no
mean skill, and his company is always in request
among his very wide circle of friends.



GEORGE W. HANNIS.



gEORGE WASHINGTON HANNIS, an
early resident of Chicago and one of the old-
est firemen in its service, is a native of
Bridgeton, New Jersey, where he was born
May 30, 1832, being a son of Thomas W. and
Mary Ann (Stow) Hannis. His ancestors lo-
cated in Pennsylvania early in the seventeenth
century, and engaged in farming on the present
site of the city of Philadelphia. One of the most
interesting objects to be observed in that city
during the Centennial Exposition was the old
brick farmhouse erected by the Hannis family
before the city was built. This family has fur-
nished many prominent in the military affairs of
the nation.

Andrew Hannis, grandfather of the subject of
this sketch, served in the war for independence
and Thomas W. Hannis was a soldier in the
Mexican, Blackhawk and Civil wars. In the



last named struggle the latter also had a son,
Alonzo Hannis, who was a member of Company
C, First Ohio Cavalry.

Thomas W. Hannis was a tanner and currier
by trade. In 1840 he moved from New Jersey to
Cincinnati, Ohio, whence he came, in 1854, with
the son whose name heads this sketch, to Chi-
cago, where some other members of the family
had previously located. The next spring G. W.
Hannis returned to Cincinnati and brought his
mother. The father, born in 1801, died here in
1 88 1, and the mother survived him several years,
passing away August 18, 1898, at the ripe old
age of ninety -one years and seven months. They
had a family of eight children, only three of
whom are living at this writing George W. ,
Martha (Mrs. William Hunt) and Alonzo all of
Chicago.

George W. Hannis received his education in the



520



H. W. MARTENS.



city schools of Cincinnati, and learned the ma-
chinist's trade with Abel Shock. He assisted in
making the first steam fire engine built in the
United States, and was a member of a fire com-
pany in Cincinnati. On his arrival in Chicago
he established a machine repairing shop, and
readily secured the city work. He did all the
repairing of fire engines and built all the trucks
and hose carts used before the great fire of 1871.
After that disaster he started anew and later sold
out his business. For a period of ten years he
was general superintendent and manager for
E. B. Preston, manufacturer of fire apparatus.
He then formed a partnership with Eaton & Prince
and re-opened his old shop on Michigan Street,
where they continued in business one year. At
the end of this time Mr. Hannis entered the em-
ploy of the city, in its repair shops, where he is
still engaged. In ^855 he became a member of
the old volunteer fire department and continued
with it until the establishment of a paid depart-
ment. He is a member of the Volunteer Fire-
men's Benevolent Association, in which he has
been a trustee many years. Beside being a mem-



ber of the Masonic Order, being affiliated with
Waubansia Lodge No. 160, he is a member of
Union Lodge No. 9, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and Cosmopolitan Lodge No. 6, Knights
of Pythias. He is a consistent Republican in
political matters, but has never been an eager as-
pirant for political position. At one time he
served the city two years as deputy sealer.

October n, 1863, Mr. Hannis was married to
Miss Delarah Chessman, a native of Bridgeton,
New Jersey, where she was born October 10,
1845. Four children came to bless his home, two
of whom are now deceased. Frank Hannis, the
eldest of the living, is a jeweler located at York,
York County, Nebraska; and the other, Pearl, is
the wife of T. F. Lawrence, of Nebraska City, in
the same state.

Mr. Hannis has always taken an intelligent in-
terest in public affairs, and has cheerfully done
his share in promoting the interests of his home
city. A pleasant conversationalist and a genial
gentleman, he has endeared himself alike to fam-
ily and friends, and enjoys the esteem of a wide
circle of acquaintances.



HENRY W. MARTENS.



HENRY WILLIAM MARTENS was born
in a rude log house standing on section 27
of Leyden Township, October 18, 1854.
His father was Charles Martens, a brief sketch of
whose life may be found on another page, where
Henry's parentage and ancestry are more fully
set forth.

He received his education at the common and
parochial schools, and worked upon a farm until
he reached the age of thirty-six years. Then for
two years he was in the employ of his brother,
John, as clerk in the latter's store and in the
postoffice, which the latter was the head of. He



also learned the trade of watch repairing, for
which he had a natural inclination, from an old
German watch-maker named Wechendorf, but
never carried it on as a means of earning a liveli-
hood. Of late years he has devoted his attention
wholly to house painting and decorating, doing
business as a contractor, and having in connec-
tion with his cousin, Henry G. Martens, built up
a large and profitable trade. Mr. Martens owns
a two-story and basement brick dwelling house
at No. 560 Wells Street, Chicago, but resides
with his father at River Grove.

He was married to Miss Meta Katerbau, Sep-



MARTIN LOYCE.



521



tember 12, 1893. She was born in the west
division of Chicago, September 3, 1872, and is
the daughter of Karl Katerbau and Frederika
Schultz. Mr. and Mrs. Martens have been
blessed with one child, Harold Henry, who came
into the world June 14, 1895.

In politics Mr. Martens is a Republican, and



has served for two years as school director in
Franklin Park. He was in the German Lutheran
faith, but is at present a member of the First
Presbyterian Church of River Park. He was a
charter member of Franklin Park Lodge of the



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 79 of 111)