Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 80 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 80 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Royal League, and also belongs to the German
Benevolent Association of River Grove.



MARTIN LOYCE.



I ARTIN LOYCE. More than half a cen-
tury has passed away since Martin Loyce
first set foot in Chicago, a young (German
emigrant, without acquaintances to lend him aid;
but with a firm determination to do for himself.
He has witnessed wondrous changes, and has
seen the city grow from the unimportant place
which it was in the fourth decade of the nine-
teenth century, to the stately metropolis of nine-
teen hundred, and in all these stupendous trans-
formations he has borne the part of a patriotic
citizen.

He was born in June, 1830, in Schweikof, in
the upper part of Baden, Germany, where he was
educated, and worked at farming until he ac-
companied his mother and step-father, G. Laiger,
in their emigration from Germany in 1847. The
family at first took up a residence in Buffalo,
where they remained until 1849. With the
opening of navigation in the spring of that year
they came to Chicago, taking the first boat that
passed through the lakes. In the autumn of 1849
young Loyce was apprenticed to one James Ward,
to learn the trade of harness-making. He served
a term of three years, and then began working as
a journeyman.

For some months he was employed in a shop
in Aurora, but with this brief exception he has
resided in Chicago continuously since his arrival
from Buffalo. After several years spent in work-



ing at his trade he entered the employ of the
Illinois Central Railroad Company, in 1857.
Such was his capability and fidelity to duty that
he remained in the service of that company
thirty-five years. During the last fifteen years
of this time he was station policeman. In his
early youth he joined the old Volunteer Fire
Company., and continued in the service until the
inauguration of the new system. He is still,
however, a member of the Firemen's Benevolent
Association.

In 1891, having passed the age of three score
years, and having, through his own efforts, his
patient industry and judicious investments of
his earnings, acquired a competence for his de-
clining years, Mr. Loyce retired from active work
and is at present enjoying a serene old age. His
physical and mental powers remain unimpaired,
and he is keenly alive to the events and interests
of the day as when, fifty years ago, he first
walked the muddy highways of Chicago in 1849.

He is not a strong partisan in politics, though
he has usually supported the Democratic ticket.
May 26, 1860, he was married to Miss Margaret
Smith, a daughter of Nicholas Smith, whose
biography appears upon another page. Mrs.
Loyce's family is an old and prominent one in
Germany. She herself was born in that country
but came to America with her parents in 1842.
The voyage from Antwerp to New York occupied



522



CARL STAADE.



forty-two days, and from thence the journey to
Chicago was made by canal boat through the
Hudson River and Erie Canal to Buffalo, and
from that point by the steamer ' ' Great Western. "
Mrs. Loyce's father was a scholarly man, and by
profession a surveyor. On reaching Chicago he
opened a private school, and had for a pupil at
one time Mr. Van Horn, who had just been
elected county surveyor and who, being entirely
ignorant of surveying, came to Professor Smith
to be instructed in its arts and mysteries. Mr.
Smith continued to conduct his school with
marked success until about fifteen years before
his death, when he retired to enjoy a well-earned
rest. He died in the autumn of 1870, his wife,



Margaret, having passed away seventeen years
before. He was the father of seven children,
only two of whom survive Mrs. Loyce and her
brother, Peter, who is at the head of the firm
of Peter Smith & Company, manufacturers of
wagons.

To Mr. and Mrs. Loyce have been born seven
sons: Martin, residing on Twenty-seventh Street;
Fred, motorman on the Chicago City Railway;
Edward, a railroad .man; Robert, a decorator;
John, an engineer on the Illinois Central Rail-
road; William, a painter; and George, residing
with his parents. The family is Catholic and
attends the Church of the Holy Angels on Oak-
wood Boulevard.



CARL STAADE.



EARL STAADE, who is a well-known busi-
ness man of Turner Park, was born Febru-
ary 2, 1835, in Raeritz, Mecklenburg, Ger-
many, a son of Carl and Dorothea _ (Consoer)
Staade. Carl Staade, Senior, was a workingman
and sou of another Carl. The last named was
father of the following children: Carl, Christian,
Joachim, Francis and Sophia. The name was
originally Stade. Carl Staade, the second, mar-
ried an only child. Their children were: Sophia,
Fredericka, Carl, John, Mary, Christopher, Caro-
line, and two who died young. The mother died
at the age of thirty years, and the father in 1840,
aged forty-eight.

Thus the son was left an orphan at an early
age, with several younger brothers and sisters.
He was obliged to earn his daily bread and assist
in caring for others, thus developing traits of
self-dependence. He remained in the Father-
land until he reached the age of thirty-one years,
when he resolved to better himself by going to
America, the land of opportunity. With his



wife and one child he took passage on the ship
"John Bertram" and landed in New York after
a voyage lasting thirty- three days. He continued
his journey to Chicago, and entered the employ
of Henry Hochmeister, a farmer. He continued
as a laborer one year, and then rented a farm of
Frederick Brooks, in the town of Maine. This
arrangement was so satisfactory that it was con-
tinued thirteen years. In 1880 Mr. Staade re-
moved to Turner Park, where he bought property
of his brother, John Staade, and opened a saloon,
which he conducted successfully up to this time.

October 20, 1862, occurred the marriage of
Mr. Staade to Sophie Raemer, daughter of Joa-
chim and Sophie (Tage) Raemer, who was born
June i, 1834. Mr. and Mrs. Raemer were the
parents of the following children: Frederick,
Sophie, Johann, Fredricka, Carl, Mina, Ida and
Hannah. To Mr. and Mrs. Staade have been
born four children.

Louisa, the first of these, born February 25,
1859, married Charles Foss and lives in Niles,



L. A. KELLER.



523



Illinois. Their children are: Ida, Charles, Ed-
ward, Etnil and Albert, the last two being twins,
Hannah and Gottfried (twins) , Theodore, Eliza-
beth, Katy and Minnie. Annie, the second of
the children of Carl Staade, was born May 29,
1867, married Mathias Schaefer, and also resides
in Niles Their children are, Philip, Charles,
Frank and Annie. Bertha, born September 29,



1868, married Frank Wiemerslage, October 17,
1888, and resides in River Park. Their children
are: Arnold, born November 5, 1891, died Octo-
ber 20, 1895; Frank, born Nsvember 28, 1893;
William, January 25, 1896; and Clarence, April
18, 1898. Johanna, born August 26, 1871, is
the wife of William Boesenberg, of whom suitable
mention is made in another place in this book.



LOUIS A. KELLER.



I GUIS ALEXANDER KELLER has nearly
It reached the limit of four score years which
|_y was allotted by the Psalmist as attainable,
only by reason of strength. Conscious of a well
spent life, and serenely awaiting life's sunset, in
the sublime hope which Christianity affords, he
lives in quiet ease at his home, No. 432 Wells
Street. He was born November 12, 1821, near
the classic village of "Bingen on the Rhine,"
which name has become a household word
throughout the United States, through the charm-
ing poem which bears that title.

Leaving school when fourteen years old, he
was apprenticed for three years to the hard, yet
manly trade of a ropemaker. After becoming a
journeyman he followed the customs of his coun-
try, traveling from city to city, working at his
trade here and there and acquiring a broader
knowledge of the world. A considerable part of
his life during this migratory period was passed
in Switzerland; and it was in that country of
skilled artisans, with its lofty mountain peaks
and perpetual snows, the very cradle of enlight-
ened democracy, that he married, in 1848, Mar-
garet Moench, who was born at Wurtemberg,
Germany. Immediately after their union the
newly wedded pair set sail for America, coming
directly to Chicago. Having a little capital they
decided to invest it in a site where Mr. Keller



might open a shop for the conduct of his trade.
The location settled on was on Wells Street.
(It had been previously occupied by one Fitzgerald
as a trunk factory, in a small way.

Here Mr. Keller started the manufacture of
rope and the constantly growing commerce
through the lakes greatly favored him. Nor was
he less benefited by his own mechanical skill
and his sound business sense. He gradually in-
creased the number of his workmen, and the
world was looking bright when the sweeping,
devastating, death- dealing flames of 1871 con-
sumed ten thousand dollars worth of his accumu-
lations. He did not attempt to resume business
in the general confusion which followed the holo-
caust, but, disposing of his shop, bought proper-
ty at No. 432 Wells Street, where he erected the
residence which he still occupies. Since then he
has not been engaged in active business.

Mr. Keller has been twice married. His first
union has been already noticed. Its fruit was
three daughters: Mary, Mrs. Frank Senger;
Katherine, widow of John Low, residing on Wol-
fram Street; and Anna, Mrs. Hermann Marquerdt.

The first Mrs. Keller died in 1879, and March
24, 1 88 1, he married his present wife, whose
maiden name was Julia L. Holtzmann, and who
was born at Kempen, Province of Posen, and
reared by an aunt in Berlin, German}'. She is a



524



W. H. DRECHSLER.



lady of rare intelligence, broad experience and
high education. Her father was a barrister and
at one time a member of the celebrated regiment
of Black Hussars. Her nephew is mayor of the
city of Zinten and is a man of fortune. Her uncle
was one of the founders of an institution at Ber-
lin for the care of aged merchants and their
widows. Nearly thirty years of her life was
spent in England as an instructor in German and
as nursery governess, alternating these pursuits
with the vocation of chaperon and traveling com-
panion to many prominent people, among whom
may be mentioned Lady Young, Lady Astley,
Lady Ashburton and Ambassador Mohrenheim,
of Russia, visiting Saint Petersburg with his
family.

While living in the household of Major Riley,
as nursery governess, she almost daily visited
Windsor Castle, and was personally known to



every member of the royal family, not excluding
Her Majesty, the Queen. She cherishes many
relics, curios and articles of virtu gathered dur-
ing her travels through Great Britain and the
continent of Europe, most of which were the gifts
of distinguished members of the aristocracies.

In 1885 Mr. and Mrs. Keller went abroad,
traveling extensively on the continent. Lady
Young, learning that Mrs. Keller was at Meisen-
heim, Germany, telegraphed her to come to Lon-
don, at the same time sending her money to de-
fray the expense of the journey, and requesting
her to take charge of her town house.

Mrs. Keller is also an authoress, having pub-
lished a work entitled "The Lost Rib," which
has met with wide success. In religious faith
the family is divided, Mr. Keller being a Luther-
an and his wife a communicant of the Church of
England.



WILLIAM H. DRECHSLER.



[DCJILLIAM HENRY DRECHSLER, who
\ A I is living in retirement in the village of
Y V Harlem, was born November 20, 1836, in
the village of Lodeman, Hanover, Germany.
His parents, Henry and Wilhelmina (Koch)
Drechsler, left Germany in 1847, and landing
in Baltimore, in the spring of that year, pro-
ceeded at once to Du Page County, Illinois,
where they had acquaintances. They remained
there until the fall of 1849, when Mr. Drechsler
purchased eighty acres in section 33, Leyden
Township, the price being two hundred dollars.
He erected a story and one-half house the same
fall. In 1851 he purchased forty acres more in
the same section and later ten acres in section 26.
On this farm he carried on agricultural pursuits
until the time of his death. In his native land
he was a cooper and conducted a shop of his own



besides attending to his small farm. He was
a Republican in politics and a member of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church.

Mrs. Wilhelmina Drechsler was born in the
village of Asaback, Hanover, and was the
daughter of Christ Koch, a shepherd. The
latter came to America with his daughter and
her family and died about 1850, being buried at
Addison, Illinois. Beside the daughter he had a
son, Henry, who came to America at the same
time. He enlisted as a private in the Civil War,
and after its close joined the regular army. He
was stationed in the west for some time, but
later secured his discharge and made his home in
Indiana, where he died. The children of Henry
and Wilhelmina Drechsler were Ernst, deceased,
whose widow resides at the corner of Wood
Street and Carroll Avenue, Chicago; William H.,



F. E. NIELSEN.



525



whose name heads this article; Henrietta, Mrs.
Frederick Kuhlman, of whom mention is made
elsewhere in this work; Henry, born in 1842,
married Elizabeth Biermann, and resides at Fort
Dodge, Iowa; and Charles, who died at the age
of twenty-one years.

An uncle of Henry Drechsler, August Drechs-
ler, died in Germany. His widow, with her two
children, came to Indiana, where she married a
Mr. Honsinger. Her children were named Will-
iam and Henrietta. The latter married a carpen-
ter, Henry Stosen, and lives at Green Garden,
Illinois.

William H. Drechsler, of whom this sketch is
written, came to America with his parents at the
age of eleven years. Thus his education was
completed in this country. He grew up under the
toils and hardships such as were common to pio-
neer life everywhere in the west, doing his share
in the improvement of his father's farm. At the
age of twenty-four years he took charge of the
same and carried on farming there until 1873,
when he concluded he had borne his full share of
hard work and responsibility and resolved to take
life more easily. He removed to No. 132 North
Elgin Street, Harlem, where he remained until
1889, when he erected his present modern resi-
dence at No. 129 in the same street. He re-
tained the ownership of his farm until 1891, when
he sold it to Henry Weiss. For some time after
coming to Harlem he carried on a teaming busi-
ness, and for thirteen years drove the hearse for
William Senne, then a prominent undertaker of
Oak Park. Since then he has retired entirely



from active work. In politics Mr. Drechsler has
ever been a staunch Republican, but has never
been desirous of holding office.

In 1857 the subject of this sketch was married
to Louisa, daughter of Henry Pflug, who died
in October, 1864. Her children were: Henrietta,
born February 13, 1861, who married Fred Mes-
enbink, mentioned elsewhere in this work;
Minnie, born September 7, 1862, married August
Hillmer, a carpenter of Harlem; Henry, born
February 5, 1864, a carpenter in Marengo Street,
Oak Park; and Ernst, born October n, 1857,
died at the age of twenty-one years.

Mr. Drechsler was married a second time Jan-
uary 5, 1866, to Miss Annie Margarita Adelaide
Heitmann, daughter of Herman Heitmann, who
resides in section 4, Proviso Township, Illinois.
Mrs. Drechsler was born in Germany. Her
children are: Ida Dorothea Henrietta Adelaide,
born January 19, 1868; Annie Elizabeth Margaret
Henrietta (Mrs. August Lehmkuhl), born Feb-
ruary 26, 1870; Carl Frederick, born April 9, 1872,
is an undertaker in Oak Park; Martin Henry
Herman, clerk in Carson & Pirie's, born February
24, 1874; William Heinrich, born February 13,
1876, a jeweler in Oak Park, Illinois; Herman
Frederick, music teacher in Oak Park, born
March i, 1878; Martha Herminie Emma Doro-
thea, born July 26, 1880; Adolph August George,
born August 21, 1882; Matilda Albertina Eliza-
beth, born February 24, 1885; Clara Louisa
Amelia, born August 17, 1888, passed away on
the 1 7th of February, 1889, and is buried at Con-
cordia Cemetery.



FRITZ E. NIELSEN.



P" RITZ EMIL NIELSEN has been a valued
to resident of Chicago since 1887, when he em-
I igrated from Denmark, in which country he
was born July 25, 1853, at Slugelse Sjelland.



His father, Anders Nielsen, who died in
1868, at the extraordinary age of seventy-nine
years, was a stone mason and contractor. For
three years he served his king as a soldier, being



526



H. F. J. P. HANN.



engaged in the war of 1848 with Germany, and
returning home with the rank of sergeant. He
was the husband of Maria Phillipsen, who sur-
vives him, a hale old lady of eighty-three years,
who has never left her native land . Of their six
children, one died in infancy, and one after
reaching the age of thirty-five years. Fritz E.
is the third son and third child, and the only one
of the family residing in America.

He enjoyed the usual advantages extended to
Danish boys, of a rudimentary education in the
public schools. He served an apprenticeship at
the mason's trade, and subsequently was a con-
tractor at Copenhagen for ten years. As has
been already said, he came to the United States
in 1887, and at once settled in Chicago. For a
few years he worked at his trade as a journey-
man, in various American cities. He spent six
years in Utah, where he took some large con-
tracts. He constructed at Logan City, Utah, the
Agricultural College, established jointly by the
United States Government and the Territory.
This building contains one and one-half millions
of brick.

Returning to Chicago in 1894, he began doing



business as a contractor. Since then his shrewd
business sense, sound judgment, unwearying
industry and unquestionable honesty have all
contributed to his success. Among both busi-
ness men and contractors he is well known and
regarded as both intelligent and upright. He
has erected many large buildings in the city,
among them being one at No. 5815 Jackson
Avenue, and another at the corner of Powell
Avenue and Placer Place, and others the recount-
ing of which would prove tiresome.

He was married, in 1893, * Marie Hansen,
who was born in Aaborg, Denmark, and came to
Chicago five years before her marriage. Three
children have been born to them Victor, Rosa,
and Clara. Their home is at No. 3510 Went-
worth Avenue.

Mr. Nielsen is prominently identified with the
Walhalla Society, and an active worker in pro-
moting its interests. He was for several years a
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows. In religious faith he adheres to the
teachings of his fathers, as promulgated by the
Lutheran Church. His political principles are
those of the Republican party.



HENRY F. J. P. HANN.



HENRY FREDERICK JOHN PHILIP
HANN was born April 7, 1866, on the old
homestead, in the township of Leyden. He
is one of the sons of Ludwig D. Hann, whose
biographical sketch appears on another page, and
to which the reader is referred for a fuller account
of the family genealogy and history. Such edu-
cational training as he received was obtained at
the public school of Oak Park, and the first
thirty -two years of his life were spent upon the
farm, he having rented the old homestead from
his father during the last five years of his resi-
dence there. December 16, 1898, he removed to
Harlem, where he opened a flour and feed store,
March i, 1899.

He was married January 12, 1893, to Miss



Sophia Wille, a daughter of Frederick S. Wille.
Mrs. Hann was born at Crete, Will County,
Illinois, February 20, 1869. The issue of the
marriage has been three children: Herbert
Dietrich Frederick, born December 24, 1894;
Henry Edmund, April 9, 1897; and Frederick
John, born March 12, 1899. Mr. and Mrs.
Hann are members of the German Lutheran
Church. He is a Republican.

Mr. Hann is one of the solid and respected
citizens of Harlem. He owns the property
where his store is located, and his business
prospects are bright. Throughout life he has
been industrious, progressive and upright, and
he enjoys the full confidence and respect of the
community in which he resides.



O. D. RANNEY.



527



ORRIN D. RANNEY.



0RRIN DATUS RANNEY was born at East
Granville (on Holden Hill), Massachusetts,
March 6, 1812, unto Orrin and Betsy Ran-
ney, {nee Gibbons.) He had one brother and three
sisters, all of good attainments. The brother,
Timothy Pickering Ranney (now deceased), was
long a prominent laywer at Newark, New Jersey.
His sisters, Nancy Deborah and Sarah Sheppard
Ranney, were both graduates of Mount Holyoke
Seminary, Massachusetts. The former (now de-
parted) for many years had a private ladies'
seminary at Elizabeth, New Jersey. Sarah mar-
ried Mr. J. Austin Scott, a capitalist, of Toledo,
Ohio. Sarah Sheppard Ranney Scott and hus-
band are now both. dead.

The subject of this sketch, on account of ill
health was obliged to forego youthful aspirations
for becoming a clergyman. After finishing his
common school education, at the age of fourteen
years, he began clerking in Westfield, Massachu-
setts. Upon his marriage, at the age of twenty-
one, he began to conduct his own store at L,ee,
Massachusetts, whence he removed to Adrian,
Michigan. Thence he went to Maumee City,
Ohio, where he remained for a period of about
ten years; thence to Toledo, Ohio. In all of
these places he continued, with varying fortunes,
in the mercantile business.

Removing from Toledo, Ohio, he came to the
final destination of his earthly life, arriving in
Chicago in 1856. He went directly into the pro-
vision commission business, on South Water
Street, where he was long associated with the
still surviving veteran Sherman Hall. Later he
was for some years a member of the Board of
Trade, in which we need not add he was deeply
interested, and at whose marvelous growth he was,
with his compeers of earlier days, obliged to mar-
vel greatly.

In May, 1872, he became attached to the force



of the First National Bank, serving that corpora-
tion most faithfully in the capacity of Manager ol
the Safety Deposit Vaults, for upwards of a score
of years, unto the very time of his death, March

4, i894-

By political faith, he was a staunch Republi-
can, following the progressive career of that su-
premely American party in every election with
his unvarying support at the ballot box. The
uplifting force of his long and good life is found
in the Presbyterian dogma, to which he sub-
scribed by actions which "speak louder than
words." At the time of his coming to our city,
he identified himself with the First Presbyterian
Church, in which he was ever honorably promi-
nent, acting as an Elder for long years, up to
within about two years of the time of his decease.
He was also warmly interested in the welfare of
the Foster Mission, a time-honored school of that
denomination. The Rev. Herrick Johnson offici-
ated at his funeral, and he was laid at rest in
Albion, Michigan.

Our departed friend belonged to no clubs, he
was no society man; he belonged to his home; he
was a man for the fireside and his tried, true
friends. Said one of those high in position, with
whom business associations for a lengthy period
had brought the subject of this sketch into close
relations of importance, ' ' I would as soon have
thought of our bank suddenly becoming bankrupt
for some inexplicable reason, as to know that
anything had gone wrong with our Deposit De-
partment while it was under Mr. Ranney's super-
vision." Another, standing under the shadow
of his tomb, said, "He was an honest man in
every way, church, business, social and domestic
life; none could come nearer perfection than Orrin
Datus Ranney. All knew him only to respect
and love, as one of God's noblemen."

As the Creator does not finish the lives of any,



528



M. N. KIMBELL.



no matter how saintly, upon this lower earth, so
we cannot record in worthy fulness what is most
deserving of historic remembrance and emulation
on the part of succeeding generations of business
men, about to enter upon important duties in our
vast and rapidly growing metropolis. Surely, we
may trustfully believe, as he was without fear,
he passed to fields of Paradise without punish-
ment; as he submissively wore the cross, the
crown of eternal bliss is already encircling his be-
loved brow.

Mr. Ranney was twice married, having and
leaving children only by the former marriage.
The first union was with Miss Phoebe Eldredge,
the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Isaac



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 80 of 111)