Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 81 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 81 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Knapp, at Westfield, Massachusetts, April 15,
1833. Three children came to them, as follows:
Charles Luce Ranney, born January 14, 1834 in
Westfield, Massachusetts; went through the Civil
War, and died in a hospital in Portland, Oregon,
in 1890, unmarried. Ellen Maria Ranney, born
July 5, 1839, in Lee, Berkshire County, Massa-
chusetts, died in childhood at Maumee City; Alice
Maria Ranney, born July 5, 1849 at Maumee
City, Ohio; educated at Miss Ranney's Private
School in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and later a
graduate of the Chicago Dearborn Seminary.
She married December 10, 1868, Walter Weeks
Hilton, a banker of early Chicago, by whon she
has two children: Myra Fisk Hilton, born Sep-
tember 27 1869, educated at the Chicago Dear-
born Seminary; and married June 26, 1889, to
Mr. William Z. Mead, formerly of Virginia, now



of Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he is engaged
in the insurance business. John Ranney Hilton,
born September 5, 1873, educated in the Chicago
High School, unmarried.

On the i gth of January, 1881, Mr. Ranney was
married to Mrs. Adeline S. Peabody, (neeGrosve-
ner) a prominent family of Albion, Michigan, by
the Rev. Daniel M. Cooper, of Detroit, Michigan.
Their more than half a score of happy years of
wedded life were not blessed by offspring. She
still survives him, living at Albion, and visiting
his last resting place on frequent occasions, feel-
ing honored in being the associate of one in every
way so worthy of the best of womankind.

It will be seen that Mr. Ranney leaves no male
child to bear his name throughout the coming
years; therefore, although the good traits of fe-
male descendants will loudly voice themselves in
his behalf, it is especially appropriate that at this
time and in this place and manner, in dignified
setting, surrounded by the best of his contempo-
raries, a lasting memorial be created, befitting
in some degree the superlative characteristics of
manhood possessed by him of whom this is written.

It is to be regretted that some fuller record of
Mr. Ranney's lineal ancestry is not available; for
the present it is known that his maternal grand-
parents were Timothy and Elizabeth Gibbons,
and that the preceding in the male line was Peter
Gibbons. It is unnecessary to call attention to
those prominent in this family, a Cardinal being
in the mouths of us all, at first mention. The pa-
ternal grandfather was Jonathan Ranney.



MARTIN N. KIMBELL,



I ARTIN NELSON KIMBELL, one of the
most public-spirited of Cook County's pio-
neers, who ably bore his part in promoting
its moral and intellectual progress, as well as aid-



ing in its material prosperity, was born in Still-
water Township, Saratoga County, New York,
January 24, 1812. He was the eldest r-hild of
Abel Kimbeli and Maria Powell. The former



M. N. KIMBEU,.



529



was born at Pownal, Bennington, County, Ver-
mont, and was a son of Noah Kimbell, a native
of Rhode Island, who removed to Vermont while
a young man. The last-named was of Scotch-
Irish descent, and a farmer and miller by occu-
pation. He joined the Continental forces and
took part in the battle of Bennington. Abel
Kimbell, in early life, removed to Saratoga
County, New York, where his death occurred in
1833 at the age of forty-two years. He was a
veteran of the War of 1812.

Mrs. Maria Kimbell died in Saratoga County,
New York, in 1830. Her mother, whose maiden
name was Nelson, was of Dutch descent, and her
father's name was Frost Powell. He was of
English-Welsh extraction, son of Obadiah Powell,
a Quaker, who died in Saratoga County at the
age of nearly one hundred years. Some time
previous to the Revolutionary War he removed
thither from Dutchess County, New York, with
his wife Betsy, bringing all their belongings on a
pack pony. They became the parents of three
sons and eight daughters, all of whom lived to
extreme old age. During the Revolutionary
struggle, Obadiah Powell was much censured by
his neighbors on account of his non-combatant
principles, and most of his personal property was
confiscated. He was steadfast in his convictions,
however, and lived to become one of the leading
farmers of the county. At the age of ninety-eight
years he husked several baskets of corn and car-
ried them to the loft of his carriage house. His
house was a favorite gathering-place of his nu-
merous descendants, including the subject of this
sketch, who was the recipient of considerable at-
tention from the old gentleman on account of his
being the first great-grandchild. T About 1840
Frost Powell moved to Wisconsin, settling near
Waterford, in Racine County, where he died a
few years later.

Martin N. Kimbell was but six years old when
the family moved to Windham, Bradford County,
Pennsylvania, and a few years later another remov-
al was made to Tioga County, New York. Though
his parents were able to equip him with little
other education, they implanted in his mind those
upright and honorable principles which, with the



habits of industry, frugality and sobriety acquired
in early youth, admirably fitted him for the battle
of life. At the age of twelve years he began
working out among the neighboring farmers, his
first wages being $4 per month. The money
earned in this way was spent for schooling most
of his education being obtained after he had
passed the age of eighteen years. At the age of
twenty he returned to Saratoga County, New
York, where he was employed as foreman upon a
large farm at the extraordinary salary of $i i per
month, the other help receiving from $6 to $8.
So satisfactory were his services that he was
offered still farther advance in salary, but after a
few years he again went to Tioga County and
taught school for several terms at a salary of $15
per month, " boarding around. " Having heard
wonderful tales of the great West, in 1836 he
came to Chicago. His first employment here was
at farm work and teaming. In the fall of the same
year he made a claim to a quarter-section of land
in Jefferson Township, now inside of the city
limits, and in the spring of 1837 built a shanty of
hay on his claim. In 1838 he purchased this
land, paying to the middle man who secured the
title from the Government, the sum of $2.50 per
acre in annual installments of $100. The same
year he built a frame house near the location of
his late residence, and engaged in active farming
operations. Four years later he rented a hotel
on Milwaukee Avenue, at the corner of the thor-
oughfare now known as Warner Avenue. This
house was at that time known as ' ' The Prairie
Grocery," but he changed its name to "Live and
I^et Live." Although this enterprise was quite
successful, he resolved to abandon it because it
did not provide satisfactory environment for his
growing family, and two years later he returned
to his farm, which was his home during the rest
of his life. At one time his farm comprised two
hundred and seventeen acres, most of which has
been subdivided in city lots. In addition to his
fanning operations he engaged for some years in
jobbing and general 'contracting. In 1849 ne
began to grade and plank the highway known as
Milwaukee Avenue, and built about three miles
thereof, and was afterward employed for five



530



M. N. KIMBELL.



years as superintendent of the Northwestern
Plank Road Company. His winters were spent
in getting out oak plank for this purpose in the
Desplaines woods, and some of the timber is still
found in the grade of that thoroughfare. Mr.
Kimbell was also interested in several other en-
terprises, and was for eleven years a director of
the National Bank of Illinois. He was always a
firm friend of the cause of education. Two terms
of school were kept in his house, during which
time he boarded the teacher gratuitously, and
he often contributed money in excess of his
school tax for the purpose of securing capable
teachers. The first schoolhouse in his district
was built by himself and two neighbors at their
own expense. He was a school officer for thirty
years, giving of his time and labor for the benefit
of the public schools without hope of reward.

In early life he was a Democrat, but upon the
passage of the fugitive slave law he renounced
that party, and during the agitation which fol-
lowed that act, he several times sheltered runaway
negroes in his house, and rendered them other
assistance in escaping from their pursuers. He
made no secret of these acts, but such was the
respect with which he was held in the community
that no one interfered with this practical demon-
stration of his principles. Upon the organization
of the Republican party, he became one of its
strongest supporters, and consistently held to that
course ever after. He was a member of the first
Board of Supervisors of Cook County, and served
as Deputy Sheriff at one time. Three of his sons
served in the Union Army during the Civil War,
in Battery A, First Illinois Light Artillery, and
Mr. Kimbell spent most of his time for three
years in sanitary and benevolent work for the
soldiers. The first contribution of $300 which he
raised, was the proceeds of a ball at the Jefferson
Town Hall. In this and other ways he subse-
quently contributed largely to the funds of the
Sanitary Commission.

Mr. Kimbell was married on the 3ist of Au-
gust, 1837, to Sarah Ann Smalley. Her father,
Nehemiah Smalley, died in 1836, soon after com-
ing to Chicago with his family. Mrs. Kimbell was
born in Madison County, New York, April 16,



1816, and has been an able helpmeet of her hus-
band during their long and laborious career. Of
their children, Charles B. is now living retired
at Hinsdale, Illinois; Julius W. is their second
son; Spencer S. is the third; Anne Maria (now
deceased) was the wife of Jacob Stryker; Frank
A. is a resident of Missouri; Angeline, Mrs. E.
H. Smalley, resides at Caledonia, Minnesota;
Martin N., the fifth son, resides on part of the
old homestead; and Edward C. is a resident of
Los Angeles, California. Three of the sons still
reside near the old homestead. All are well-
known business men, and the firms with which
they are connected and manage, have furnished
more stone and brick for Chicago buildings than
any other firm in existence. Mr. and Mrs.
Kimbell had twenty-eight grandchildren and nine
great-grandchildren, beside seventeen children
and grandchildren by marriage, at the time of
his demise. When congregated at the old home-
stead, this family exceeds in number the gather-
ings which took place at the house of Obadiah
Powell in Mr. Kimbell' s childhood.

Mr. Kimbell was a Universalist for fifty-seven
years. He contributed toward the building of
five churches in the city of Chicago, and was a
member of the Church of the Redeemer. All
the members of the family cherish the same faith.

Endowed by nature with a strong and vigorous
constitution, he always enjoyed good health until
about the year 1890, when he began to have
trouble with his feet, which gradually developed
into gangrene. This continued to increase stead-
ily until, in January, 1895, it was decided by a
council of physicians that in order to save, or
even prolong his life and relieve the intense suf-
fering he was enduring, it would be necessary to
amputate his left leg above the knee. This was
accordingly done, with his full consent, and with
the hope on the part of the family that his other-
wise robust constitution would enable him to
rally from the operation. But his advanced age
of eighty-three years was against him, and he
sank gradually until the end, which came Febru-
ary 13, 1895. The last years of his life were
spent in quiet retirement, surrounded by his
numerous family, enjoying the fruits of a life of



A. J. GALLOWAY.



hard and honest labor, combined with temperance,
benevolence and frugality, a useful and exem-



plary life well worthy of emulation by rising
generations.



ANDREW J. GALLOWAY.



NDREW JACKSON GALLOWAY, one of

Hthe pioneer railroad builders of Illinois, has
witnessed the growth of the State from a few
scattered hamlets to one of the most populous and
wealthy commonwealths of the Union, and is still
vigorous of mind and hale in body. He inherits
from his Scotch ancestry those subtle qualities of
mind which make the successful business man
and the vigorous constitution which enables men
to carry on continuous and fatiguing enterprises.
His father, Andrew Galloway, was born in Done-
gal, Ireland, and emigrated to Fayette County,
Pennsylvania, during the first year of the present
century. His ancestors were among those who
fled from the persecution of the Protestants in
Scotland to the North of Ireland, and their
descendants are now numerous in America, in-
cluding many enterprising and successful business
men. Several brothers of Andrew Galloway set-
tled in America. Robert G. also located in Fay-
ette County, Pennsylvania. John settled at Bal-
timore, Maryland, and Samuel went to New
York, whence he removed, in 1836, to La Salle
County, Illinois.

Andrew Galloway's wife (the mother of the
subject of this biography) was Isabel, daughter
of Hugh Wilson, who came from Ireland to Vir-
ginia with his father, John Wilson. The family
moved from Virginia to Pennsylvania, where
Hugh became a lieutenant of militia in the War
of the Revolution. He married a daughter of
Mr. Joseph Pierce, who was, doubtless, of Eng-
lish extraction. He moved from New Jersey to
Westmoreland (now Allegheny) County, Penn-
sylvania, in 1772, making the journey on horse-



back, as there were then no roads over the moun^
tains. The Pierce family was very early identi-
fied with the colony of New Jersey.

Of Andrew Galloway's ten children, two died
in infancy; the subject of this sketch is the fourth,
and beside him, but three are li/ing, namely:
Julia, widow of Francis S. Galloway, Sarah J.,
widow of William Bedford, both residing in Chi-
cago; and George, now of Jackson County, Ore-
gon.

Andrew J. Galloway was born near Butler, the
seat of Butler County, Pennsylvania, December
21, 1814. Before he was six years old, his father
moved to the vicinity of Corydon, then the capi-
tal of Indiana, and in 1823 settled on a farm in
Clark County, same State, where he remained
ten years. He died in Marseilles, La Salle Coun-
ty, Illinois, in October, 1843, of congestive fever
contracted while making preliminary improve-
ments on a farm which he had just located. His
age was sixty-six years.

While a boy, A. J. Galloway spent his sum-
mers in doing such work upon the farm as he
was able to perform, getting a little insight into
the mysteries of letters during the winter months.
At the age of fifteen, he found an opportunity to
earn his board by working evenings and Satur-
days, while attending a grammar school at Camp
Creek, some miles distant from his home. In
1834, he entered the preparatory department of
Hanover College, Indiana. He had intended to
study the classics, with a view to taking up the
science of medicine, but his attention was turned
to engineering by the great demand made by
canal and railroad construction, and the liberal



532



A. J. GALLOWAY.



compensation offered to competent engineers.
Under the instructions of Professors Harney and
Thompson, he made special studies in mathemat-
ics and engineering, and received his diploma as
civil engineer in April, 1837.

Proceeding to Evansville, he hoped to obtain a
position on the Indiana Central canal, but was of-
fered the charge of the Mount Carmel Academy
at Mount Carmel, Illinois, soon after, and accepted
for one year. Among his pupils were many
young men who have since become distinguished
men of business, law and letters. At the close of
his school year, he accepted an appointment as
assistant engineer in the service of the State, and
was actively employed in the location and con-
struction of railways in that section of the State.

In the fall of 1840, he went to Springfield, and
was employed during a part of the following win-
ter as assistant enrolling clerk of the Senate. In
the following July, he received an appointment
from the Canal Commissioners as engineer on the
Illinois & Michigan Canal, under Chief Engineer
William Gooding and his assistant, Edward B.
Talcott. He continued in this work until the
suspension of operations in the winter of 1843-4,
when he retired to the farm which he had pur-
chased in 1842, on the Big Vermillion river in
La Salle County. In 1845, he resumed his posi-
tion and employment on the canal, with head-
quarters at Marseilles, and continued until De-
cember, 1846, when the work was about com-
pleted and he was relieved. Within a few days,
he was elected enrolling and engrossing clerk of
the lower house of the Legislature, to which posi-
tion he was also elected in 1848. At the close of
the session in 1849, he was appointed Secretary
to the State Trustee of the Canal Board, with of-
fice in Chicago. He moved his family to the
city, and for over two years filled this position,
until he resigned to accept the office of assistant
engineer under Col. Roswell B. Mason, on the
Illinois Central Railroad.

Mr. Galloway located about one hundred and
fifty miles of the line of this road, and superin-
tended the construction of the twelfth division
until near completion, when he was transferred
to the land department of the same road, with an



increase of $ 1,000 per annum in salary. He
superintended the survey of more than a million
acres of the company's lands, and made sketches
for maps of the same, with descriptions of the
character and quality of every tract surveyed.

He retired from the railroad service in July,
1855, and formed a company, with two others,
to deal in real estate and lands, under the title of
A. J. Galloway & Company. Before the close of
that year, they bought sixty thousand acres of
Illinois Central lands, all of which eventually
passed into the individual possession of Mr. Gal-
loway. For some years he was occupied in dis-
posing of these holdings, together with sales on
commission for the company and other owners,
and has done his share in securing the location
of desirable citizens in the State.

Mr. Galloway cast his first Presidential vote
for Martin Van Buren, in 1836, and has voted
in every national contest since. He adhered to
the Democratic party until the organization of
the Republican in 1856, since which he has af-
filiated with the latter party. He was a member
of the Twenty-seventh General Assembly of Illi-
nois, and chairman of the committee on canal and
river improvements in the house. This was the
first Legislature under the present State Consti-
tution, and held four sessions, two of them being
called by the Governor of the State, and one of
which was made necessary by the fearful conflagra-
tion which destroyed some two hundred million
dollars' worth of property in Chicago in the brief
space of twenty hours. He was elected to fill a va-
cancy in the Cook County Board of Commissioners
in November, 1872, by some eight thousand major-
ity, but was beaten on the "law and order" ticket
in the following year for the same office, by some
ten thousand majority given for the candidate on
the "people's ticket." In 1882, he was a candi-
date on the Republican ticket for County Clerk,
and though elected by the legal votes cast, was
counted out. While at Springfield, he formed
the acquaintance of Abraham Lincoln, and their
mutual friendship continued with the life of the
latter.

As chairman of the committee on taxation of
the Citizens' Association, he has rendered valu-



JAMES TOMPKINS.



533



able aid to that very useful organization, and at
various times, through the medium of the press,
has given to the public useful hints, facts and
statistics which ought not to be forgotten.

In November, 1838, Mr. Galloway was mar-
ried to Miss Rebecca Buchanan, youngest daugh-
ter of the late Victor Buchanan, senior, of Law-
rence County, Illinois, a well-known and highly
esteemed farmer, a native of Pennsylvania, who
died and was buried on his farm in the year 1843,



having reached the ripe age of eighty-one years.
Following are the names of Mr. Galloway's
children: Rebecca Elizabeth, wife of George G.
Gunther, now residing in California; Robert Wil-
son, an amateur artist and member of the Chicago
Board of Trade, died at the age of twenty -seven
years; Margaret, widow of Samuel ~L,. Fogg, and
James Buchanan, a prominent business man, re-
side in Chicago. Jessie died in 1870, aged
twenty years.



REV. JAMES TOMPKINS, D. D.






REV. JAMES TOMPKINS, D. D., for seven-
teen years Superintendent of the Congrega-
tional Home Missionary Society of Illinois,
is not only an able preacher but a superior busi-
ness man as well. His practical ideas and genial,
sunny disposition inspire confidence and interest
in all with whom he conies in contact, and secure
ready co-operation in his work. He was born in
Galesburg, Illinois, on the 6th of April, 1840.
His father, Deacon Samuel Tompkins, was one
of the founders of that city, being a member of
the committee that came from New York, in
1835, to select the site of an institution of learning
and, incidentally, of a town in the "wild West."
The committee entered a township of Govern-
ment land and platted a village in its center, in
the name of Knox College. Tompkins Street,
on which is located Knox Female Seminary, is
named in honor of this pioneer. Samuel Tomp-
kins was a native of Rhode Island, and his wife,
Mary Grinnell, was born at Paris Hill, Oneida
County, New York.

James Tompkins spent his early years in his
native place, studying in the public schools, until
1854, when he entered the preparatory depart-



ment of Knox College. He graduated from that
institution in 1862, taking the degree of Bachelor
of Science. In 1865, having pursued special
lines of study, he received the degree of Master
of Arts. In 1867, he graduated from Chicago
Theological Seminary, and in 1888 he received
the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity from
Illinois College.

During his preparatory and college course, he
maintained himself by teaching school, and the
same year of his graduation at the age of twen-
ty-two he took charge of Elrnwood Academy, at
Elmwood, Illinois. He continued here two years,
at the end of which period a regular system of
graded schools was established by the town and
the trustees of the academy decided to merge
that institution in the public high school. The
formation of the grades and establishment of the
high school was a task assigned to Mr. Tomp-
kins, and faithfully carried out.

While he was in college, the call of President

Lincoln was issued for seventy-five thousand men

.to put down the rebellion, and a company was

enlisted at Knox College, Mr. Tompkins being

among the first. So many men were enlisting



534



JAMES TOMPKINS.



throughout the State that it was feared the com-
pany of students would not be accepted, and its
captain was sent to Springfield to urge the matter
upon Governor Yates, but the mission was vain,
and thus several good soldiers were spoiled in the
making of some good ministers.

After graduating, Mr. Tompkins aided in re-
cruiting some companies of volunteers under a
later call. These went into the Seventy-seventh
and Eighty-fifth Regiments of Illinois Volunteers.
Through much open air speaking in recruiting,
Mr. Tompkins was suffering from a slight inflam-
mation on the lungs at this time, and the exam-
ining surgeon refused to pass him for military
duty. As he was anxious to go out with the
men he had enlisted, he endeavored to persuade
the surgeon that his ailment was temporary, but
the official was inexorable and he was compelled
to remain behind. After resigning his position
at Elmwood, however, in June, 1864, he was en-
abled to give his services to the country by join-
ing the United States Christian Commission,
which did such valuable work for the "boys in
blue" in camp and hospital and on the battle-
field. In this service, he remained until the close
of the war. He was first sent to the Army of the
Potomac, in company with Rev. W. G. Peirce,
the beloved and heroic chaplain of the Seventy-
seventh Illinois. When they reached City Point,
Virginia General Grant's headquarters they
responded to a call for volunteers to go to the
front, and were assigned to duty at Point of Rocks,
on the Appomatox river. Here Mr. Tompkins
met with an accident which nearly proved fatal.
After hovering between life and death for a week,
he rallied sufficiently to be taken in an ambulance
to City Point, and was placed on a steamer bound



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 81 of 111)