Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 82 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 82 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for Baltimore.

On his recovery, he was engaged for several
weeks in lecturing throughout Central Illinois on
the work of the Christian Commission, and col-
lected several thousand dollars for its use. He
then visited the Army of the Cumberland and
followed General Thomas as he drove the Con-
federate army, commanded by General Hood, out
of Tennessee. He cared for the sick and wounded
of both armies, took the last message of the dy-



ing for the loved ones at home, and aided in giv-
ing a decent burial to the remains of those who
had given up their lives for their country.

Mr. Tompkins was ordained to the work of the
Gospel Ministry April 24, 1867, immediately after
graduating from Chicago Theological Seminary,
in the Congregational Church at Prospect Park
(now called Glen Ellyn), and entered upon the
duties of the Congregational pastorate, serving
jointly this church and the First Church of Christ
in the neighboring village of Lombard, Illinois.
On visiting Minnesota for rest and recuperation,
he was engaged as stated supply of the Congre-
gational Church at St. Cloud. From there, he
was called to the pastorate of the First Congrega-
tional Church of Minneapolis. Three years' resi-
dence in Minnesota made it apparent that a
milder climate was necessary to the health of both
himself and wife, and he resigned his charge in
Minneapolis. He soon after accepted a call from
the Congregational Church at Kewanee, Illinois,
which he served as pastor for over six years.

In May, 1878, the General Congregational As-
sociation of Illinois voted to appoint a Superin-
tendent of its work in the State. A number of
prominent clergymen were candidates for the
position, and after several ballotings, Mr. Tomp-
kins received a majority of all the votes cast and was
declared elected. He entered upon his new duties
in the succeeding July, with headquarters in
Chicago, and is still occupying that position. He
has introduced several new methods in the prose-
cution of the work, and awakened a deeper inter-
est and more hearty co-operation in all the
churches. The most important of the new in-'
strumentalities was the employment of able men
as State Evangelists. This gave new impetus,
strength and enlargement to the work.

In 1869, on the 8th of September, Mr. Tomp-
kins married Miss Ella A. Kelley, a native of
Rutland, Vermont, daughter of J. Seeley Kelley
and MaryE. Hall. To Mr. and Mrs. Tompkins
have been given four children, namely: Roy
James, born in Minneapolis, Mabel Ella, William
C., born at Kewanee, Illinois, and Seeley Kelley,
born at Oak Park, Illinois.



LIBRARY
OF THE
-iVERSITY OF /LL!,'







KASPAR G. SCHMIDT



K. G. SCHMIDT.



535



KASPAR G. SCHMIDT.



RASPAR G. SCHMIDT was born in Vocken-
hausen, near Wiesbaden, Nassau, Germany,
February 20, 1833. His parents' names
were John and Elizabeth (Dinges) Schmidt.
John Schmidt was a tailor by trade and, in later
life, became foreman of a tannery. He served in
the German army as a sergeant-major under
General Blucher. After participating in the bat-
tle of Waterloo, he accompanied the victorious
army to Paris. His death occurred in 1854, at
the age of sixty-two years. Mrs. Elizabeth
Schmidt survived until 1882, attaining the vener-
able age of eighty-two years.

Kaspar G. Schmidt is one of a family of nine
children, of whom but one beside himself came
to America. This was a brother, named Nicholas,
who now resides in Chicago. Kaspar received a
common-school education and, at the age of four-
teen years, began to learn the trade of a machinist.
After serving a four years' apprenticeship at
Mines, he followed the same occupation for some
time at Frankfort-on-the-Main. In April, 1854,
he set sail for America. After a tempestuous
voyage lasting fifty-six days, he landed in New
York. Thence he came direct to Chicago, where
he soon obtained employment at his trade. His
enterprising spirit was not destined to be confined
to mere mechanical labor, however, and he began
saving his surplus earnings with a view to mak-
ing a permanent investment. He did not have
to wait long for an opportunity, and when, in
1857, several large Milwaukee brewers became
bankrupt, he purchased a stock of beer at an ad-
vantageous figure and began doing a small whole-
sale business in that product. This enterprise
continued to prosper until 1860, when he was en-
abled to start a small brewery, at the corner of
Superior and Clark Streets. Two years later, he
removed to Grant Place, which has ever since



been the scene of his operations. His extensive
buildings were totally destroyed in the great fire
of 1871. His loss at that time, including his
residence, amounted to one-fourth of a million
dollars. He was able to recover but a small per-
centage of his insurance, and the entire business
had to be built up anew. Rebuilding upon a
small scale, he enlarged the establishment at in-
tervals until it attained a capacity of one hundred
and fifty barrels per day and furnished employ-
ment to one hundred men. Having more than
recovered his loss by the great fire, and being re-
solved to retire from active life, he sold out his
plant in 1890, and is practically retired from
business.

Mr. Schmidt was married in 1856 to Barbara
Wagner, who was born in Rhodt, Rheinpfalz,
Bavaria. She died on the 2ist of September,
1894, at the age of sixty years. Of the eight
children born to this union, five reached mature
years. Barbara Elizabeth is now the wife of
George W. Kellner, of Chicago; Katie Emma is
Mrs. Martin Herbert, of Chicago; August died in
1889, at the age of twenty-eight years; George
K. and Edna complete the list of the survivors.
Ten living grandchildren make glad the heart of
Mr. Schmidt.

Mr. Schmidt was a charter member of Mithia
Lodge No. 410, F. & A. M., in which body he
has filled all the chairs, and served as Master for
five years. He helped to organize the Germania
Club, with which he has since been identified,
and is one of the original members of the Sonue-
felter a German singing society. Ever since he
became a citizen, he has given faithful allegiance
to the Republican party, because its principles
embodied his ideas of progress and good govern-
ment. In 1868, he was elected Alderman of the
Thirteenth Ward, serving four and one-half years



536



G. M. DEARLOVE.



in that capacity. The time of election was
changed during his term from fall to spring, thus
prolonging his term six months. From 1874 to
1877, he served as County Commissioner, during
which time he was chairman of the Building
Committee of that body, and had charge of the
construction of the present court house. His ex-
perience in the repeated construction of his own
ample buildings was especially useful to him in
the discharge of this duty, and was of great



benefit to the county, and the city of Chicago.
He owns a fine stock farm at Twin Lakes, Wis-
consin, where he has spent considerable time in
recent years, and where he finds enjoyment and
recreation. Though sixty-two years of age at
this writing, Mr. Schmidt is still hale and hearty.
His interest in the growth and development of
Chicago is unabated, and he views with pride and
satisfaction the continuous progress in which he
was for many years an active participant.



GEORGE M. DEARLOVE.



EEORGE M. DEARLOVE, B. L. ( a young
man of pronounced judgment and business
ability, who makes his home in Chicago,
though spending much of his time in travel, is
a native of Cook County. He was born in
Northfield Township, in 1873, and is a son
of George and Mary A. Dearlove, the his-
tory of whose lives may be found elsewhere
in this volume. In his early years he attend-
ed the public schools of Chicago, and later,
as a youth, the Morgan Park Military Academy.
After graduating from the last-mentioned institu-
tion, he attended the North- Western Military
Academy at Highland Park, from which, after
passing the Government examination in an able
manner, he received his commission of Second
Lieutenant in the State Militia, subsequently at-
taining to the rank of Senior Captain and Ad-
jutant. While attending the academy he was
President of the Class of 1891.

Not satisfied with his attainments thus far, Mr.
Dearlove then attended Lake Forest University,
completing the entire course with the exception
of the senior year. Thence he went to Monmouth
College at Monmouth, Illinois, where he took a
course in Liberal Arts, graduating June 6, 1893,
with the degree of B. L- While a student of



Lake Forest University, he was a member of the
Zeta Episiton, and of the Eccritian Society while
attending the college at Monmouth. In the lat-
ter institution, as well as at Lake Forest, he
made a special study of Economics and of Finan-
ciering.

Possessed of strong human interests and a live-
ly intelligence, it is not strange that Mr. Dear-
love should find one of his keenest delights in
traveling, especially as he is financially able to do
so. Since 1887 he has spent most of his vaca-
tions in traveling, chiefly through the South and
West. In these journeys he has happily com-
bined pleasure and business, for, being possessed
of considerable foresight and discernment, his
travels have given him abundant opportunities
for investment in promising enterprises. He was
one of the promoters and constructors of the As-
toria & Columbia River Railroad, and is still one
of the Directors of the company which operates
the same a corporation which pays the largest
dividends of any railroad company in the United
States. He was also one of the original incor-
porators, and is now Vice-President of the Florida,
Ocean & Gulf Railroad; Director of the Florida
Central & Peninsular Railroad; and Director and
Vice-President of the Florida Engineering and






E. C. LONG.



537



Construction Company, which owns about two
million acres of land in Florida. In addition to
these numerous offices, Mr. Dearlove is a Direc-
tor of the Florida Development Company, which
has extensive fruit lands in Florida, with offices
at Jacksonville, Florida and Chicago; and a Di-
rector of the Avon Park National Bank at Avon
Park, Florida.



With the foregoing record of his business con-
nections before one, it is hardly necessary to re-
mark that Mr. Dearlove is a young man of keen
perception and ready decision, who never loses a
business opportunity for lack of promptitude in
action. In address he is pleasing and intelligent,
showing a great general knowledge of men and
affairs, remarkable in one so young.



EUGENE C. LONG.



IT UGENE CONANT LONG was born in Bran-
Yy don, Vermont, October 31, 1834, and is a*
I son of James and Cerusa (Conant) Long,
who were among the early pioneers of Cook
County. James Long was born in Washington,
District of Columbia, and was a son of Andrew
and Alice Long, of Baltimore, Maryland. An-
drew Long was killed in the service of the United
States during the War of 1812. The family of
Long (or Laing, as it was originally spelled) is
of Scotch extraction, and was founded in America
by four brothers who settled at Baltimore about
1660. Commodore Long, who was in the United
States naval service during the Revolution, was
descended from one of these.

While a young man, James Long went to New
York City, where he became a partner with Sam-
uel Hoard, afterwards Postmaster of Chicago, in
the publishing business. A few years later, the
firm removed to Brandon, Vermont, where they
published a newspaper for some years. In 1835
James Long moved, with his family, to Cook
County and engaged in farming in Jefferson town-
ship, near the present village of that name, now
within the limits of the city of Chicago. Not find-
ing agriculture very profitable, after three years'
experience, he sold out and moved to Chicago
and built a steam grist mill on Michigan Avenue,
at the corner of Lake Street. This he operated



for several years. The engine in this mill was
employed in pumping the water which was first
supplied by the city to the people of Chicago.
This contract continued some years, the water
being forced, through hollow logs laid in a few
streets near the river. Those outside the service
were wont to keep barrels for storing a supply,
and these barrels were filled by private enterprise,
at ten cents per barrel.

After disposing of the mill, Mr. Long was ap-
pointed by President Polk as Keeper of the light-
house, which stood near the site of the present
Rush Street bridge. He subsequently served as
County Treasurer, and for a number of years filled
the office of Alderman of the First Ward. After re-
tiring from business and public life, he spent con-
siderable time in travel, and his death occurred
in Paris, France, on the loth of April, 1876, at
the age. of seventy-four years.

Mrs. Cerusa Long died in Chicago in 1874, at
the age of sixty-seven years. She was a daugh-
ter of John Conant and Chara Broughton, of
Brandon, Vermont. John Conant was descended
from one of the earliest American families. His
grandfather, Ebenezer Conant, served in the Con-
tinental army, as Captain of a Massachusetts com-
pany. Roger Conant, father of the last-named,
was among the Colonial Governors of Massachu-
setts preceding Governor Endicott.



538



FRANCIS HUTCHISON.



Bugene C. Long was still in his infancy when
the family came to Cook County, Chicago being
at that time a village of three or four thousand in-
habitants. While a boy, he was accustomed to
do the family marketing. The chief produce
market was on State Street near Randolph, and
its wares were brought by farmers from long dis-
tances and displayed in wagons and other vehi-
cles, much after the present fashion of the Hay-
market of the West Side. The pioneers of that
day did not lack for the substantials, though there
was little cash in circulation, and they were largely
ignorant of the present style of living in the city.

At the age of seventeen years, Eugene C. Long
graduated from the Beardsly Seminary, and soon
after became a clerk and teller in the Marine
Bank. His connection with that institution con-
tinued for twenty- two years, during the last twelve
of which he served as Cashier. In 1874 he re-
signed this position and engaged in the stock and
brokerage business, continuing that occupation



five years. He then entered the office of the late
Judge Van H. Higgins. Since 1880 he has been
a stockholder and Secretary of the Rose Hill Cem-
etery Company, and since 1893 has also been
Treasurer of the corporation.

He was married in October, 1858, to Harriet
Alexander, step-daughter of Van H. Higgins,
and daughter of the first Mrs. Higgins Elizabeth
(Morse) Alexander. Mrs. Long was born in
Jacksonville, Illinois, and is the mother of two
daughters, Eugenie and Harriet, the first being
now the wife of Edward L- Frasher, of Chicago.

Mr. Long and his family are members of the
Protestant Episcopal Church, and he has been a
life-long Republican in principle and practice.
The record of his business career shows him to
be capable and upright, for only through these
qualities could any one hold the positions he has
filled. In manner, he is courteous and easy, show-
ing long familiarity with the best men and methods
of the day.



FRANCIS HUTCHISON.



r"RANCIS HUTCHISON, a successful Chi-
1M cagoan now living in practical retirement,
| is a Scotchman by nativity and spent his
youth upon the banks of the river Leven, the
outlet of Loch Lomond, a locality which has been
rendered famous in song and story, and abounds
with historic interest and romantic scenery. His
birth occurred on the 3oth day of April, 1828, in
the village of Alexandria, Dumbartonshire. His
parents, James and Janet (Weir) Hutchison,
were in humble circumstances and, though able
to afford their offspring but a rudimentary intel-
lectual training, endowed them with habits and



principles which fitted them for filling responsible
and useful positions in life.

James Hutchison was born at Abernathy, near
Perth, Scotland, but removed during his youth
to Dumbartonshire where his later life was spent.
Mrs. Janet Hutchison was a daughter of Donald
Weir, a well-to-do farmer and herdsman of Argyle-
shire. But three of their nine children are now
living, and Francis is the only resident of the
United States. The other survivors are Rev.
John Hutchison, an Independent (Congrega-
tional) minister at Ashton-under-line, England,
who has filled his present pastorate for upwards



FRANCIS HUTCHISON.



539



of forty years, and Donald Hutchison, who is
the chief engineer of a steamship company, which
operates a line of vessels plying between Liver-
pool and the La Plata river in South America.

At the age of eight years, Francis Hutchison
began to earn his daily bread by laboring in the
print and dye works which abound in the vicin-
ity of his birthplace. At fourteen he was set to
learn the carpenter trade serving five years ap-
prenticeship at that industry. He was afterwards
employed as a ship-carpenter and acquired a de-
gree of skill and proficiency which has since
served him in good stead.

Having heard fabulous-sounding stories of the
great land beyond the Atlantic ocean, he deter-
mined to see and investigate its wonderful re-
sources by a personal visit and, not without con-
siderable misgivings as to the duration of his
sojourn, in 1858 he took passage upon the steamer
"Kangaroo" for New York, arriving in that city
on the ninth day of June. He went from there
to Rochester, New York, and after spending a
few months at that place, took passage by way of
the lakes for Chicago whither he arrived in due
time, landing upon a temporary pier at Clark
Street. His destination was the home of his uncle,
Donald Weir, who lived on the Des Plaines river
near "the Sag," but as the address which had
been furnished him was rather vague, he spent
several days in unnecessary travel before reach-
ing the place, a delay which was amply atoned
for by the hearty welcome accorded him upon his
arrival. As a number of farm houses were being
erected in that neighborhood, he found a ready
demand for his services, and his first season's
earnings so far exceeded any sum he had ever
received for a corresponding period of time that
all doubts concerning the superior advantages of
this country as a permanent place of residence
were dispelled from his mind and he determined
to become an American citizen.

In the fall of 1860 he went to Helena, Arkan-
sas, where he was employed at his trade until the
following spring, when, owing to the outbreak of
the rebellion and not wishing to be pressed into
the Confederate service, he returned to the North
without being able to collect the money he had



earned there. His brief residence at the South
had given him a good understanding of the con-
ditions which prevailed there, however, and en-
abled him to take a more conservative view of
the questions which divided the union than pre-
vailed among the more enthusiastic partisans of
the North.

The prevailing wages for house-builders in
Chicago at this time ranged from seventy-five
cents to one dollar per day, and Mr. Hutchison
found it more profitable to engage in ship car-
pentry. He was subsequently employed in build-
ing gun-boats for the United States Government
at St. Louis, and at Cairo, Illinois. In 1863 he
purchased an interest in a distillery at Joliet, but
as some features of the business became distaste-
ful to him, he sold out the following year and in-
vested his profits in vessels plying between Chi-
cago and the lower lake ports. He continued
the carrying trade for the next nine or ten years,
and in the meantime purchased several lots and
a residence at the corner of Van Buren and
Throop Streets. The rapid growth of the city
soon created a demand for this location for com-
mercial purposes and he replaced his residence
with several substantial business blocks. He has
since bought and improved other valuable west-
side property, and of recent years the care and
renting of these buildings has absorbed most of
his time and attention.

Mr. Hutchison was married in 1864 to Miss
Elizabeth Jones, daughter of Thomas Jones, who
died in Chicago in 1882, at the age of more than
eighty years. The lady was born in Denbigh-
shire, Wales, and came to America in 1856. She
has been an able helpmeet and counsellor of her
husband, and their union has been blessed with
four children, three of whom are still under the par-
ental roof, namely: Elizabeth Agnes, Catherine
Jane, wife of S. B. Foster, James Francis and Jean-
nette Weir. All the members of this family are
identified with the Jefferson Park Presbyterian
Church.

Mr. Hutchison is a man of simple tastes, and
leads a quiet and unostentatious life, though he
does not think it out of place to crack an occa-
sional joke among his old-time friends. Since the



540



W. B. SNOW.



war he has been a pronounced Republican, but
sometimes ignores party lines concerning ques-
tions of local import. When he first arrived in
Chicago his total cash assets were comprised in
a gold quarter eagle. This he carefully hoarded
for some time and when obliged to spend a por-



tion of it for repairing his shoes, he received in
change a one-dollar bill of "wild-cat" currency,
which proved to be worthless. His subsequent
prosperity, therefore, may be attributed solely to
his frugal, industrious habits, correct judgment
and integrity of character.



WILLIAM B. SNOW.



P QlLLlAM BLAKE SNOW, who put on track
\ A/ tne nrst railway passenger coach built in
V Y Chicago, is descended from an old Ameri-
can family. The environment of the New Eng-
land fathers was calculated to develop all that was
sturdy in mind and body, and in many of their
descendants are found the qualities which enabled
them to survive the hardships they were com-
pelled to endure and caused them to prosper in
the midst of most forbidding conditions. The
spirit of adventure and progress which led to the
colonization of New England, still lives in the
posterity of the Pilgrims, and has raised up sim-
ultaneously throughout the northern half of the
United States churches, school houses and fac-
tories.

William B. Snow was born in Bellows Falls,
Vermont, February 13, 1821, and is a son of Sol-
omon and Lucina Snow. His ancestors were,
doubtless, English, and early located in America.
His paternal grandfather was a chocolate manu-
facturer near Boston, and his maternal grand-
father, "Bill" Blake, established the Bellows
Falls Gazette, one of the first newspapers in Ver-
mont. His wife was Polly Wait, of Milbury,
Massachusetts.

The subject of this biography passed his boy-
hood in his native village, receiving his education
in the schools there existing. At the age of four-
teen years, he began working in his father's
wagon and carriage shop, becoming expert in the



use of woodworking implements. For some years
he was employed by his uncles in a paper mill.
When twenty-two years of age, he set out to make
his fortune, going to Springfield, Massachusetts,
where he took contracts for carpenter work. From
there he went to Seymour (then called Hum-
phreysville), Connecticut, where he was employed
by the American Car Company, and moved with
that establishment to Chicago in 1852. At this
time he had a contract with the company for
building coaches, and set up the first one ever
constructed in this city. This was purchased by
the Chicago & Galena Union Railroad, then in
its infancy. An account of the origin of that en-
terprise will be found in this work, in the sketch
of John B. Turner, who was its founder. When
the American Car Company sold out to the Illi-
nois Central Railroad Company, Mr. Snow was
employed by the new proprietor, with whom he
continued from 1857 to 1872. His integrity and ex-
ecutive ability had meantime become known to
many Chicago citizens, and he was offered a lucra-
tive position by the Pullman Palace Car Company,
for which he traveled three years. At the end of
this period, he again took employment with the
Illinois Central Company, and so continued until
he retired from active business in October, 1891.
Mr. Snow has always been a quiet citizen, giv-
ing his undivided attention to business, and leav-
ing others to manage their concerns in their own
way. He has been a faithful attendant of the



A. G. LULL.



Reformed Episcopal Church, with which his fam-
ily is affiliated, being identified with Bishop Che-
ney's congregation. He is a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and a demitted



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 82 of 111)