Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 83 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 83 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Freemason. His early political associations were
with the Whig party, and he has adhered to the
Republican organization since it came into exist-
ence. He has never sought political preferment,



but has fulfilled that imperative duty as well as
privilege of the good American citizen, a vote
in every important contest. In 1 843 he was mar-
ried to Miss Orra L. Dyke, of American parentage,
and two children have blessed this union. The
eldest, Frank Austin Snow, resides in Chicago,
as does also the other, Lottie, wife of A. G. Farr,
of the firm of N. W. Harris & Company.



ALBERT G. LULL.






Gl LBERT GALLATIN LULL was bom in

r I Windsor, Vermont, February 20, 1827, and
/I died in Chicago, February 13, 1892. His
parents, Joel and Celia (Smith) Lull, were na-
tives of the Green Mountain State, the Lull fam-
ily being one of the oldest in that commonwealth.
Mrs. Celia "Lull died in Windsor, and her hus-
band afterwards came to Chicago, where he
served as constable for several years. His death
occurred in 1880, at North Attleboro, Massachu-
setts.

After leaving the public schools, Albert G. Lull
became a student for a time at Dartmouth Col-
lege. At Springfield, Massachusetts, he took up
the study of gunsmithing and mechanics. In
1849, he came to Chicago and obtained employ-
ment in the machine shop of H. P. Moses. While
thus engaged, he assisted in the construction of
the first water works in the city. He was subse-
quently employed by Foss Brothers, in a large plan-
ing mill on Canal Street, near Monroe, the site of
which is now occupied by the Union Passenger
Station and railroad tracks. When this mill was
torn down, preparatory to the construction of the
depot, he purchased the machinery, in company
with his brother-in-law, Isaac Holmes, and built
a new mill on the west side of Canal Street, be-
tween Jackson and Van Buren Streets. The firm
dealt in lumber and carried on the manufacture
of packing boxes, doing an extensive business
until 1871, when the entire plant was consumed



in the fire, which occurred on Saturday night, the
8th of October, preceding by one day the memor-
able ' 'great fire. ' ' The disaster which destroyed
the mills of Lull & Holmes made a gap which
saved the West Side from the ravages of the suc-
ceeding fire. The firm rescued the safe contain-
ing their books from the ruins and placed them in
the office of a friend, on the south side of Van Buren
Street, only to be lost in the greater conflagration
of the following day. This alone inflicted a serious
loss on Mr. Lull, who never recovered his fortunes
and suffered a permanent loss of health from the
shock and exertions in trying to rescue his prop-
erty. He retired a few years later from all busi-
ness activities.

On the 5th of April, 1855, he was married to
Mrs. Mary Sammons, daughter of John and Ellen
Holmes, widow of Elijah H. Sammons. Mrs.
Lull was born at Bradford, England, and came to
America with her parents in 1835, arriving in
Chicago in April of that year. She is still active
in mind and body, and relates many incidents of
pioneer life in Chicago. She is a member of the
Cathedral Church of SS. Peter and Paul, in
which Mr. Lull was also a communicant. Two
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lull Rich-
ard H., who is a physician now practicing in
Chicago, and Mary C. , who is the wife of Mark
R. Sherman, an attorney of the same city.

Mr. Lull was a prominent member of the Ma-
sonic order, and likewise, of the Independent



542



E. F. DANIELS.



Order of Odd Fellows, in which last fraternity he
had taken all the degrees and was a member of
the Grand Lodge of the United States. From the
first organization of the Republican party, he was



one of its most steadfast and consistent suppor-
ters, and as a man and citizen, he ever sought to
promote the material, moral and intellectual
growth of the community in which he lived.



EDWIN F. DANIELS.



IT DWIN F. DANIELS, an enterprising busi-
Ya ness man of Chicago, was born at Concord.
L Jackson County, Michigan, January 23,
1848. He is a son of George and Delzina (John-
ston) Daniels, both of whom died before he was
five years old. George Daniels was born at Hull,
England, and was one of a family of eleven chil-
dren who came to America with their parents in
1832. They settled at Dearborn, Michigan, near
Detroit. George Daniels afterwards moved to
Jackson County, where his death occurred in
1854, at the age of thirty -two years. His wife
was of Irish descent.

Edwin F. Daniels lived with his paternal
grandparents and attended school at Hudson,
Michigan. Before completing his education, how-
ever, he went to Chattanooga, Tennessee, to as-
sist his uncle, Capt. William H. Johnston, who
was a commissary officer in charge of forage for
the army. He continued in that employment
until Sherman's army started on its famous "march
to the sea," when he became a messenger in
charge of forage on the railroad from Chattanoo-
ga to Atlanta. At the time when the rebels
tore up the track, at Big Shanty, Georgia, the
train on which he was serving returned to Al-
toona, just in time to escape capture. After the
battle between Hood and Corse, in which the for-
mer was defeated, Mr. Daniels returned to Chatta-
nooga and soon afterwards left the service and
returned to his boyhood home in Michigan. He
then, for some years, engaged in the manufac-



ture of woodenware and also operated a planing
mill.

In February, 1876, he came to Chicago, and
was employed for four years as Clerk in the
County Treasurer's office. In 1881, he began
dealing in coal, an occupation which he has con-
tinuously and successfully followed until the
present time. The original firm of Weaver,
Daniels & Co. , was succeeded in turn by Pea-
body, Daniels & Co. , and Edwin F. Daniels &
Co. Since 1890, Mr. Daniels has been sole pro-
prietor, and the business, which was inaugurated
on a rather limited scale, has grown to immense
.proportions and is now one of the most extensive
in its line in the city.

He was married in 1880, to Miss Kate Elkins,
daughter of Henry K. Elkins, whose biography
appears elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Daniels
was born in Chicago, and has presented her hus-
band with two sons, Henry Elkins and Raymond
Elkins Daniels. Mr. and Mrs. Daniels are mem-
bers of the First Unitarian Church of Chicago,
and the former is identified with the Union
League, Kenwood, Chicago Athletic and Tolles-
ton Shooting Clubs, and the Chicago Board of
Trade. During the hunting season, he finds
recreation by making weekly trips to Tolleston
for shooting water fowl. He is an advocate of
Republican principles, but ignores party lines in
voting upon local issues. His success may be at-
tributed to his enterprising business methods,
ready decision and integrity of character.









I,. C. CLARK.



543



LYMAN C. CLARK.



I YMAN C. CLARK is one of the leading and
I C prominent business men of Turner, where
l~) he has made his home since 1870. During
the years which have since passed, he has con-
tinuously engaged in the insurance business. He
was born June 10, 1833, in Darien, Genesee
County, N. Y. , and is a son of Henry S. and Deb-
orah R. (Carpenter) Clark. The paternal grand-
father, Joshua Clark, was a Revolutionary soldier
and served under Gens. Washington and Green.
He was a native of Rhode Island, and after his re-
moval to New York he took up several hundred
acres of land. Throughout his life he followed
farming as a livelihood. A prominent and influ-
ential citizen, he was honored with the office
of Justice of the Peace for over forty years. His
death occurred in the Empire State at the ad-
vanced age of eighty-seven. In his family were
thirteen children, twelve of whom grew to mature
years. The maternal grandfather of our subject,
James Carpenter, was a native of Connecticut, and
his entire life was spent in that State, where he
died at an advanced age.

Henry S. Clark was born in Rhode Island, and
became a contractor and builder of New York.
He also engaged in painting, and his death was
the result of his being poisoned by paint, in 1855,
at the age of sixty-two years. His wife, who
was born in Connecticut, died in the Empire
State in 1 88 1 , at the age of eighty- four. Both
were members of the Baptist Church, and the
father was a local preacher of that denomina-
tion. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812,
and his widow received a pension on that account.
In their family were four sons and five daughters,
of whom the following are now living: Henry H. ;
Lyman C. ; Loriuda E. , wife of William Waldron,



of Trenton, Canada; and Susan M., wife of Albert
Blackman, of Erie County, N. Y. Two brothers
lost their lives during the late war. Jerome was
killed at Bentonville, N. C. , and Dennis died at
home from injuries received in the service.

We now take up the personal history of our
subject, who was reared in the State of his nativ-
ity, and in the common schools of the neighbor-
hood acquired a good English education. When
about fourteen years of age, he began learning
the trade of carriage- maker, which he followed
continuously until 1865. The following year he
emigrated westward and took up his residence in
Davenport, Iowa, where he embarked in the life-
insurance business. In 1870 he came to Turner,
where he has since devoted his time and energies
to the same pursuit with good success.

On the i8th of September, 1855, Mr. Clark was
united in marriage with Miss Laura E. Babcock,
daughter of Rev. R. and Lucinda (Gilbert) Bab-
cock, the former a native of Massachusetts, and
the latter of New York. Seven children have
been born of this union, two sons and five daugh-
ters. Altie Florence is the wife of C. E. Norris, of
Turner, by whom she has four children: Charles
H., Carroll W., Ernest L. and Florence. Clar-
ence Henry, deceased, was a twin brother of Altie
Florence. Clara Louise, Henrietta and Charles
Herbert are all deceased. Ella Laura is the wife
of E. B. Holmes, of Turner; and Lulu Pauline
completes the family.

The parents are both members of the Method-
ist Episcopal Church and take a most active part
in church and benevolent work. Mr. Clark has
been Steward of the church for thirty -seven con-
secutive years, and has also served as Trustee
and Class-leader for many years. He is now Su-



544



E. H. CASTLE.



perintendent of the Sunday-school, which is mak-
ing good progress under his able management.
He has also been prominently identified with tem-
perance work. In politics, he is a Republican,
and socially is connected with Amity Lodge No.
472, A. F. & A. M.; Doric Chapter No. 166, R.
A. M.; and Siloam Commandery No. 54, of Oak
Park. He and his wife are both members of the
Order of the Eastern Star. Mr. Clark has a good



home and other town property in Turner, and is
numbered among the valued and representative
citizens of this community. He has lived an up-
right, honorable life, and his career is one well
worthy of emulation. He has the confidence and
high regard of all with whom he has been brought
in contact, and it is with pleasure that we present
to our readers this record of his life.



EDWARD HERRICK CASTLE.



j~DWARD HERRICK CASTLE. To the
fp student of human progress, or the youth who
seeks an example worthy of his emulation,
the history of this successful man offers especially
interesting features. His career has been full of
adventure and excitement, and yet the experi-
ences of his life have made his mind philosophical
and his heart sympathetic. When he was born,
the nation was young and still almost an experi-
ment, so that men were not encouraged to ven-
ture into strange fields of action. He has lived to
see the American nation become one of the great-
est of the earth; and now, in his old age, he re-
joices that he has been permitted to witness the
triumph of the institutions of liberty.

E. H. Castle was born in Amenia, Dutchess
County, N. Y., on the 5th of August, 1811, and
is now nearing the completion of his eighty-third
year. His great-grandfather, Gideon Castle, was
one of the early Colonists who came from Eng-
land. A brother went to Virginia, while another
accompanied him to New York. Gideon, son of
Gideon Castle, who lived to the age of ninety-
six years, occupied an honorable place in his-
tory as a member of Gen. Washington's per-
sonal staff. He was with the immortal com-
mander through the Revolutionary War as Com-
missary of Subsistence. He owned a mill in



Dutchess County, which manufactured flour for
the Continental army. After the treaty of peace he
removed to Amenia, where his son, William
Castle, father of the subject of this biography,
passed his life. His farm was situated about two
miles from the village of Amenia, and here Ed-
ward H. Castle grew up to be a strong and hearty
youth, full of ambition. He longed to go to sea
and visit strange lands, and to make his fortune
in the world. However, he remained upon his
father's farm until about ten years of age, attend-
ing the small school in the vicinity. He after-
ward attended Dr. Taylor's academy in Cortland
County, but his restless disposition soon drove
him to sea, and he shipped on a bark bound for a
distant port. After a voyage of many months,
he returned to find his mother dead and the house-
hold in mourning.

This seems to have been a turning-point in Mr.
Castle's life. The death of his dear mother af-
fected him deeply. He had started out into the
world full of youth's bright hopes, and this sud-
den bereavement was a severe blow. He'had not
been permitted to close the dying eyes of his best
friend on earth, or receive her last blessing. He
determined to honor her memory by making
something of himself. In deference to his father' s
earnest wish, he consented to enter the office of



E. H. CASTLE.



545









his father's attorney, Samuel Perkins, and take
up the study of law. He studied faithfully two
years, until an attack of measles resulted in a
partial loss of his eyesight. He had long been
convinced that he was not calculated to make a
lawyer, and on being relieved from his studies,
he began to look about for an opportunity to enter
a business life, much to his father's disappoint-
ment. His subsequent fortune shows the wisdom
of his choice.

Soon after attaining his majority, on the ist of
September, 1832, Mr. Castle started out from his
father's home in Freetown, Cortland County,
whither he had moved from Dutchess County.
He traveled on foot over a lonely road to Carbon-
dale, Pa. , one hundred miles distant. At Car-
bondale, Deacon Hodgden had a force of men and
horses employed in hauling coal from the mines
to the canal. Young Castle applied to him for
employment, and was offered $14 per month and
board. He stipulated, however, for what he
proved to be worth at the end of three months, a
unique plan, which was accepted by the Deacon
with alacrity. Before the day of settlement came
around, Castle was foreman and was paid $40 per
month. By gradual increase his salary soon rose
to $100 per month, and he shortly bought out his
employer, giving in payment his personal note,
which was promptly paid when due.

After three years of business, Mr. Castle en-
tered into partnership with Stephen Clark,
and the firm carried on a large lumber trade and
opened a general store. They also secured through
attorneys the lease of the Fall Brook coal mines
for ninety-nine years, and added mining to their
lumbering and mercantile business. Mr. Castle
finally became sole owner by purchasing his part-
ner's interest, and continued to prosper until his
store and stock were destroyed by fire in 1838.

The year previous to that last above mentioned
had brought reports to Mr. Castle's Pennsyl-
vania home of the wonderful village on the shore
of Lake Michigan, under the shadow of Ft. Dear-
born. During that year this village began to be
a thriving business center, and streets were opened
&?, far west along the main river as the north and
sourb branches. A paper was established by



John Calhoun, of New York, and was making
the prospective advantages of the town known.
Although he had been very successful in Carbon-
dale, Mr. Castle felt that the growing West of-
fered him greater advantages than he had hith-
erto enjoyed. He purchased a stock of goods in
Philadelphia, which was transported by the only
method then known by wagon over the moun-
tains to Pittsburgh. Here he added iron, nails,
and the heavy goods manufactured at Pittsburgh,
and chartered a steamer to carry his stock, with
which he proceeded down the Ohio and up the
Mississippi and Illinois Rivers to Peru. Here he
decided to open business, and soon after started
another store at Joliet, having added to his stock
at St. Louis on the way up. In a short time,
Mr. Castle went into partnership with Gov. Mat-
terson and Hiram Blanchard, in a contract for
excavating a part of the Illinois & Michigan
Canal.

In the spring of 1839, Mr. Castle became a
resident of Chicago, arriving on the ist of May,
having previously disposed of his mercantile bus-
iness at Peru and Joliet. He opened a store in an
unfinished building at the corner of Lake and
Wells Streets, so far out of the then business cen-
tre that his venture was considered risky by many.
The business soon grew to be profitable, however,
and Mr. Castle shortly became a pioneer in what
has since proved one of the greatest glories of the
western metropolis the grain trade. Although
the modern grain elevator was then unknown, he
handled in one year 100,000 bushels, shipping by
lake and canal to New York.

With his usual business foresight, Mr. Castle
early secured large tracts of land, entering one
tract of swamp lands in the Illinois Valley, em-
bracing six hundred acres, at ten cents per acre.
Many derided him for buying this worthless land,
but he, with others, secured the passage of a
drainage act by the State Legislature, and within
ten years after its purchase he sold portions of it
for $50 per acre. Mr. Castle also opened a dairy
farm at Wheeling, and found a ready market for
the product of his fifty cows in the city.

Navigation seemed natural to Mr. Castle, and
we find him engaged in the Mississippi River



546



E. H. CASTLE.



trade for seven winters, exchanging the products
of the St. Louis markets for those of New Or-
leans. At one time he sailed the fine steamer
' ' Alonzo Child. ' ' He secured a tract of two hun-
dred acres of land in Washington County, Tex. ,
and several years of his life were spent in making
a beautiful plantation of this land.

In November, 1849, Capt. Castle bade farewell
to his Chicago friends and set out for the newly-
discovered gold fields of California. Proceeding
down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, he
accepted the position of mate on the "Florida,"
and set sail for Chagres. Crossing the Isthmus,
he found at Panama the good ship ' 'Unicorn, ' '
of the Aspinwall Line, and was tendered its com-
mand by the owner. On account of the crowded
condition of the port, it was found impossible to
carry all who wished to go, and a plot was made
by some of the disappointed ones to murder Capt.
Stout, but the plot was overheard by Capt. Castle
and a friend, and was frustrated. With a crew
of one hundred and thirty men and seven hun-
dred passengers, Capt. Castle set sail for San
Francisco, stopping on the way at Acapulco to
secure as much provisions, cattle and coal as
could be procured. January 5, 1850, found them
in San Francisco without accident. Among all
the hordes found there, one desire seemed para-
mount gold. Fabulous prices were paid for all
the necessaries of life, and the most fortunate
were those who discreetly remained in town and
sold merchandise. Capt. Castle was one of these.
He plied a small steamer, the "Eldorado," be-
tween San Francisco and Sacramento, and opened
a store in the latter city. On the 5th of Feb-
ruary, 1850, he opened a hotel, called the Illinois
House, in San Francisco, which at once did a
thriving business. He also purchased, or secured
the consignment of, over four hundred cargoes,
and operated a very extensive warehouse trade.

Being admonished by failing health to return
home, Capt. Castle sailed on the steamer "Col-
umbus" for Panama in the fall of 1851. The sea
voyage and careful nursing which he received
from the ship's matron soon made him compara-
tively well. During the voyage, he was sent for
by a Mr. Saltpaugh, who had noticed that Capt.



Castle was a Mason. Mr. Saltpaugh was dying
with cholera, and confided to Capt. Castle's care
his money ($1,200) to be delivered to Mrs. Salt-
paugh at Port Gibson, N. Y. The captain of
the vessel claimed the custody of this money un'
der a United States law, but Capt. Castle said:
"I promised that man, who was a brother Mason,
to deliver the money to his widow, and you can
only secure it from my dead body." The matter
was not pressed any further, and Capt. Castle
subsequently had the pleasure of delivering the
money to its rightful owner. By steamer "Fal-
con" to Cuba, and "Ohio" to New York, Capt.
Castle was once more united with his wife and
daughter, who met him in New York, and the
meeting was a joyful one.

Soon after his return to Chicago, Capt. Castle
was appointed Western Agent of the Erie Rail-
road, and administered its affairs for four years,
largely increasing its traffic, and at the same time
he dealt more or less in city property, with profit
to himself. During most of this period he acted
as General Agent for the entire Mississippi Val-
ley. After retiring from the railroad agency, Mr.
Castle engaged in the real-estate business on a
large scale, in partnership with Lewis W.
Clark, which continued until the death of Mr.
Clark, after which Mr. Castle continued alone.

In 1858, Mr. Castle turned his attention to rail-
road construction, and secured, after much ef-
fort, a charter from the State of Missouri for
a road from Canton to the Missouri River, a
distance of two hundred miles. The people along
the line promptly subscribed for double the stock,
and he had completed about fifty miles of track
when the outbreak of the Civil War stopped all
operations and caused him a lieavy loss. The
rebel, Gen. Greene, drove Capi. Castle and his
men from the State and seized all the stores, iron
and cars, valued at about $2, 000,000. Nearly all
of Capt. Castle's force was composed of single
men, who were loyal to the Union, and when he
asked them to join the Union army they responded
almost to a man. Chartering a steamer, he took
them to St. Louis, where they were accepted by
Maj.-Gen. Fremont, and Mr. Castle was made a
colonel on Fremont's staff. Col. Castle was made



E H. CASTLE.



547



Sttj^rrintendent of Railroads for the Western De-
partment, comprising twenty-seven lines, with
headquarters at St. Louis. By his arrangement,
various lines centering there were connected, and
a vast amount of delay and expense thus saved to
the Government. He prepared a uniform scale
of freight rates, which was accepted by Congress
and known as the Castle Rates. He and his faith-
ful men were kept busy in repairing the damage
to bridges and grades by the rebels, who well
knew that the success of the Union troops was
much enhanced by rapid transportation.

A warm friendship sprang up between Col.
Castle and his brave commander, which contin-
ued as long as both of them were permitted to
live. When Gen. Fremont was ordered to Vir-
ginia, Col. Castle accompanied him and was em-
ployed in bridge-building. He had bridges and
wagons for their transportation built in Pitts-
burgh, and because of his presence everywhere in
preparing a way to cross rivers on pontoon bridges,
the soldiers dubbed him "Col. Pontoon."

After Sheridan's famous raid up the Shenan-
doah River, Col. Castle was summoned to Wash-
ington by President Lincoln, for whom he per-
formed some special services, and received the
thanks of the President and Congress. After the
surrender of Vicksburg, Col. Castle contracted to
furnish Gen. Grant's army with twenty-eight
thousand tons of ice, which was done with con-
siderable difficulty on account of the fall of water
in the Mississippi, necessitating the employment
of railroad transportation a part of the way, and
re-shipment by boat at Cairo. When the ice was
delivered at Vicksburg, Gen. Grant thanked Col.
Castle with tears in his eyes, and the town was
illuminated. Col. Castle was sent by the Presi-
dent to confer with Gen. Banks at New Orleans



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 83 of 111)