Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 84 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 84 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


concerning the contemplated Red River expedi-
tion, but Banks spurned the advice of Col. Castle,
who showed him the disaster that was sure to re-
sult from his plans, and the result proved the wis-
dom of Col. Castle's conclusions, based upon his
long experience in travel and navigation. In the
spring of 1865, he again entered the real-estate
business, with office on La Salle Street, in which
he continued to be successful. About two years



later he experienced religion, and devoted much
of his time to the cause of the Master, with tell-
ing effect among his neighbors and friends.

Col. Castle's first wife, Miss Caroline E. John-
son, of Norwich, Conn., was a woman of deep
piety and many beautiful graces. He first met
her in Carbondale, Pa. , and after a married life
of thirteen years she was called to her reward in
heaven. His present wife, Mrs. Emeline Castle,
was born in Pittston, Luzerne County, Pa., in
1818. She is descended from Quaker ancestors,
and married Wells Bennett, of Wilkes Barre, Pa. ,
for her first husband, with whom she came to
Illinois more than fifty years ago. She was one
of the pioneers of Methodism in northern Illi-
nois.

Col. Castle has been for over fifty years a Free
Mason, and more than forty years a Master
Mason. He believes the society has led him to
high and noble resolves, and has contributed more
than $25,000 to the benefit of the order. He is
the only surviving charter member of Cambrian
Lodge No. 58, I. O. O. F., of Carbondale, to
which he has been a liberal contributor.

As a member of the Chicago Union Veteran
Club, he has taken a deep interest in the welfare
of old soldiers. His great pleasure now, how-
ever, is the Mission on West Lake Street, near
Garfield Park, which is now known as the Garfield
Park Methodist Church. It was his interest in
this mission which led him to sever his connec-
tion with the Park Avenue Methodist Church two
years ago, in order to devote more time to mis-
sion work. He is one of the supporting mem-
bers of the Lake Street Mission.

At the present time, Col. Castle is actively en-
gaged in business, and attends to his large inter-
ests with a regularity remarkable for one of his
great age. His large hall at the corner of Lake
and Paulina Streets is occupied by the Salvation
Army, and a good work is being accomplished by
this, the greatest corps in the world.

And now, as the long and eventful career draws
to a close, Col. Castle looks back over the many
years of struggle and strife with a tranquil mind.
Having done the best that he could, he leaves the
rest with his God. His life is well worth the



E, D. PARMELEE.



study of any young man. His is a character of
true nobility, formed by years of honest labor and
honorable dealings with his fellow-men. No dif-
ficulty was so great that it could not be overcome,
and no path so rough that could not be made
smooth. He can well say to the young, with
Bryant:



" So live, that when thy summons comes to join
The innumerable caravan that moves
To that mysterious realm where each shall take
His chamber in the silent halls of death,
Thou go not, like the quarry slave at night,
Scourged to his dungeon; but sustained and soothed
By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams."



EDWARD DAVID PARMELEE.



["" DWARD DAVID PARMELEE, city ticket
1^ agent at Chicago of the Chicago & North-
I western Railroad, claims New York as the
State of his nativity, his birth having occurred in
Aurora, Cayuga County, August 27, 1859. His
parents were David I,, and Jeannette Brown
(Kimball) Parmelee. His father was born in
Middlefield Centre, Otsego County, N. Y., and
was a graduate of Hamilton College, of Clinton,
N. Y. Later he served as Principal of the Cay-
uga Lake Academy, and subsequently carried on
a private bank in Aurora, N. Y. , where he made
his home until his death, which occurred in 1866,
at the age of thirty-eight years. In politics, he
was a Republican, and was connected with a num-
ber of college societies. In religious belief, he
was a Presbyterian, and lived an honorable, up-
right life, which won him high regard. His wife
was born in Chicago, and is a daughter of Mark
Kimball, who was one of the pioneers of this city.
Her birth occurred on Monroe Street, near the
present office of the Adams Express Company,
which locality was then one of the chief residence
portions of the metropolis. The lake then ex-
tended to Michigan Avenue.

In the Parmelee family were four children, but
our subject is the only survivor. He had one
sister, Fannie, who died in Canton, N. Y., about
six years since, and the other two died in infancy.
He was a lad of seven years when the family re-
moved to Orange, N. J. Subsequently they took



up their residence in Adams, N. Y. , where hf At-
tended Hungerford's Collegiate Institute, piqu-
ing a classical course of study. At the age of
seventeen, just before completing the course, he
came to Chicago, to accept a position as clerk in the
General Baggage Agent's office of the Chicago
& Northwestern Railroad. Since that time he
has been with the same company, and has won
promotion from time to time, until he has attained
his present responsible position. He was first
made assistant depot ticket agent, and in 1884
was made assistant city ticket agent at the old of-
fice in the Sherman House. Since 1887 he has
filled his present position, and a large volume of
business is transacted under his supervision and
management.

Mr. Parmelee supports the principles of the
Republican party, and was one of the original
members of the Marquette Club. He served for
several years on its board of directors, during
which time it first nominated Benjamin Harrison
for the Presidency. He is now a member of the
Chicago Athletic Association, and is a cultured
and accomplished gentleman, who has gradually
risen to his present responsible position by fidel-
ity and strict attention to business. He merits
and receives the confidence and good-will of the
traveling public as well as that of his superior
officers. A courteous aud genial gentleman, he is
well fitted for his positk-fl, which he is acceptably
and creditably filling.



CHARLES ADAMS.



549



CHARLES ADAMS, M. D.



fTjHARLES ADAMS, M. D., one of the physi-
I C cians of Chicago who have risen by their own
U unaided efforts to a conspicuous place among
the medical practitioners of the city, is of English
birth. He was born in Northamptonshire, Eng-
land, on the 29th of May, 1847. His father, John
Adams, was of a yeoman family, which for gen-
erations had been engaged in agricultural pur-
suits and stock-raising. His mother, Elizabeth
(Clarke) Adams, was a daughter of a gentleman
farmer of the same country.

At an early age the Doctor began his studies,
and when a youth of ten he had completed the
course in the grammar school at Wellingborough,
in his native county. In 1856, his father bade
adieu to Old England, and the fair fields, pretty
leas and spreading elms that cause its scenery to
be so long remembered, and, accompanied by his
family, sailed for the United States. He settled
in the then new and crude West, which years of
patient effort are making to resemble, in its phys-
ical features and in many of its institutions, the
land of our forefathers. The Adams family first
located in Milwaukee, where they remained until
1 86 1, when they came to Chicago.

During that period, the Doctor spent the greater
part of his time in school, but on moving to Chica-
go he became book-keeper for his father, who was
engaged in the live-stock business. There he
continued until 1868. Much of his leisure time
was devoted to study, and in this way he obtained
a wide and varied knowledge. In connection
with his general reading, he also took up the
study of medicine, mastered various works 011 that
science, and resolved to make the practice of the
healing art his life work. He finally entered the
office of Dr. J. S. Mitchell, and, after spending



some time there as a student, he entered Hahne-
mann Medical College of this city, from which in-
stitution, on the completion of a three-years course,
he was graduated in 1872. The year after his
graduation he spent as house surgeon in Scammon
Hospital, of Chicago. The greater part of the
year 1873 he passed in Europe, taking a special
course of surgery in I,ondon. On his return to the
United States, he took up the practice of medicine
in Chicago, where his thorough training and fit-
ness for the profession soon brought him a profit-
able practice among the upper classes of Chicago's
citizens.

In 1875, Dr. Adams again crossed the Atlantic
and visited the land of his nativity. He went to
Wellingborough, and was there wedded to Miss
Mary Curtis, daughter of Thomas S. Curtis, a mer-
chant of that place. By their union were born two
children, one of whom, Cuthbert, a young man of
eighteen, is still living. Mrs. Adams died in 1888,
and the following year the Doctor was united in
marriage with Mrs. Elizabeth (Mitchell) Gaylord,
of Chicago, widow of Henry Gaylord, and a
daughter of W. H. Mitchell, the well-known Vice-
President of the Illinois Trust and Savings Bank.

When he again came to the United States, in
1873, Dr. Adams accepted the chair of surgical
pathology in Hahnemann College and thus served
until 1875, when, on the organization of the Chi-
cago Homeopathic College, he accepted the chair
of principles and practice of surgery, which he
filled for some years. Now, after an absence of
considerable length, he again occupies that posi-
tion. The Doctor is also surgeon of the Chicago
Homeopathic Hospital, the Chicago Nursery, the
Half Orphan Asylum and the First Regiment,
Illinois National Guards. He is a member of the



550



HENRY BUDDE.



Association of Military Surgeons of the United
States, of the Illinois Homeopathic Medical Asso-
ciation, the Chicago Medical Association, belongs
to the Academy of Science of Chicago, and is a
Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society of
London.

Dr. Adams possesses a large library of profession-
al works and also of general literature, the charac-
ter of which shows his wide knowledge of books,



and splendid ability to select the best, and none
other. He not only possesses a library, but has a
knowledge of the contents of almost every volume
in it, whether English, French or German. His
success is a fitting reward of his labors. He has
been, and still is, a hard student, an earnest, pains-
taking and successful practitioner, a faithful friend
and a cultured, genial gentleman.



HENRY BUDDE.



HENRY BUDDE, a well-known farmer of
Niles Township, Cook County, residing on
section 17, is the youngest in a family of
three sons, whose parents were Conrad and Leo-
nore (Baesner) Budde. He was born December
5, 1815, in Messenkomp, Hanover, Germany,
and his brothers were William and Christian
Budde. His parents died when he was only two
years of age. Losing the entire estate which
came to them from their father, the three brothers
separated, and Henry, when only a child, was
thrown upon the mercies of a cold, and often pit-
iless, world. In July, 1845, he left his native
land and sailed for America, landing in New
York after a voyage of five weeks. He at once
came to Cook County, arriving July 20, 1845.
Here, during the following winter, he chopped
one hundred and seventy-five cords of wood, re-
ceiving in compensation for his hard labor three
shillings per cord. The next year he became the
possessor of sixty acres of land on section 17,
Niles Township, where he now resides.

In 1846, when war's cruel tongue was calling
for brave men to do battle against the Mexicans,
Mr. Budde believed it his duty to enlist in de-
fense of his country, for although he was not
an American born, he was now an American cit-
izen. In June he became a member of Company



K, First Illinois Infantty, under Capt. Mowers,
and was honorably discharged in 1847. At the
battle of Buena Vista, on the. 22d of February of
that year, he was wounded in the left leg.

Returning from the scene of strife, he laid aside
the weapons of war for Cupid's bow and arrow,
and wooed and won Miss Marie Linaman, who
became his wife April 8, 1848. They had four
children: Henry, born October 4, 1850; Marie,
May 20, 1852; John, born in 1854; and Louis,
January 21, 1859. After the death of his first
wife, Mr. Budde, in July, 1882, married Mrs.
Marie Ludwig, who was called to the home be-
yond December 5, 1887, at the age of fifty years.
He was again married, for the third time, August
23, 1894, to Mrs. Sophia Uhrscheller, widow ot
Charles Uhrscheller, of Chicago. Mrs. Budde' s
first husband, Henry Schmidt, served many
years on board of a United States man-of-war.
From New York he removed to Chicago about
1864, and died there in 1878.

Mr. Budde has devoted the greater part of his
time and attention through life to agricultural
pursuits. He received from the Government one
hundred and sixty acres of land in return for his
services as a Mexican soldier, and this he traded
for the farm upon which he now resides. It is a
valuable place, highly cultivated and well im-



JOHN UNOLD.



proved, and its neat and thrifty appearance indi-
cates the careful supervision of the owner. He
has erected thereon a fine brick residence, one of
the most beautiful homes in this locality.

Mr. Budde holds membership with the Luth-
eran Church, in which he is now serving as
Trustee. For several years he has served as
School Director, and the cause of education finds
in him a warm friend. He cast his first Presi-
dential vote in 1848. He said, "I went so far



astray as to vote for Buchanan, but since that
time I have been a Republican," and he is true
to the party of his choice to this day. In Mr.
Budde is seen a self-made man, who began life
without capital, but success crowned his efforts
and he has won a handsome competence. He is
now recognized as one of the substantial agricul-
turists of this community, as well as one of its
highly respected citizens.



CAPT. JOHN UNOLD.



EAPT. JOHN UNOLD, who is now living a
retired life in La Grange, is one of the hon-
ored veterans of the late war, who followed
the Old Flag in defense of the Union for about
three years and faithfully aided in securing the
victory that made the United States inseparable.
He was born in Germany on the 2gth of Novem-
ber, 1829, and is a son of George and Elizabeth
(Brechiesen) Unold. The family numbered six
children, four sons and two daughters, as follows:
George and David, both now deceased; Chris-
topher, who is the owner of a factory for the man-
ufacture of wooden- ware in Germany; Elizabeth,
who is still living in the Fatherland; and Mary,
now deceased. George Unold was a millwright
by trade, and in Germany he spent his entire life,
as did the mother of our subject.

The Captain was born and reared in his native
village, and attended the public schools of Ger-
many until thirteen years of age, when he was
bound out for a three-years apprenticeship to the
harness-maker's trade. He then traveled through
Germany for three years, working at that occupa-
tion, and in 1849, when a young man of twenty
years, he crossed the broad Atlantic to America
on a sailing-vessel, which after six weeks upon
the bosom of the Atlantic dropped anchor in the
harbor of New York City. He made his first lo-



cation in Newark, N. J., where he worked at his
trade for two years. He then went to New
Haven, Conn., where he spent the four succeed-
ing years of his life, and in 1855 removed to Chi-
cago. For two years he was there employed as a
harness-maker, after which he went to Fullers-
burg, DuPage County, where he started a shop
of his own and engaged in business until 1861.
He also carried on a general store at that place,
and was Postmaster of Fullersburg for a time,
but in 1862 he disposed of his business interests
in order to enter the service of his adoped coun-
try.

Mr. Unold had watched with interest the prog-
ress of events and saw that the war was to be no
holiday affair; so, prompted by patriotic impulses,
on the 1 5th of August, 1862, he became a private
of Company D, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois
Infantry. Before he was mustered into service,
which event took place at Dixon, he was trans-
ferred to Company I, and became Second Sergeant.
The first active engagement in which he partici-
pated was at Frankfort, Ky. He afterwards took
part in the battles of Resaca, New Hope Church,
Cassville, Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek
and Clintonville. He was wounded in the left
ankle by a shell at the battle of New Hope
Church, but did not go to the hospital. At At-



552



L. P. HASKELL.



lanta, he was promoted to the rank of First Lieu-
tenant, and was mustered out as Captain. He re-
ceived his discharge June 15, 1865, for the war
was then practically over, and the preservation of
the Union an assured fact.

Capt. Unold at once returned to his home in
Fullersburg, where he established another har-
ness shop, which he carried on until 1868, when he
came to La Grange, and opened a general store.
He carried on business along that line until 1887,
when he sold out and has since lived retired. He
was successful in his business dealings and there-
by acquired a comfortable competence, which now
enables him to enjoy the rest which he has so
truly earned and richly deserves. He now owns
considerable real estate in La Grange.

On the 5th of February, 1852, Capt. Unold was
united in marriage to Miss Martha Hoppach.
Unto them have been born nine children, namely:
Willemanie, now deceased; Lewis, who holds
the position of book-keeper in his brother's



store in La Grange; George, who carries on a
large general merchandise establishment in La-
Grange; Julia, deceased; Amelia, wife of Ed-
ward Tillotson, who is living in Michigan; Ottil-
da, widow of Samuel Clifford; and Amanda, Lou-
isa and Sherman, all of whom have now passed
away.

In politics, Capt. Unold is a supporter of the
Republican party, and from 1869 until 1875 he
served as Postmaster of La Grange. He was for
seventeen years one of its School Directors, and
did effective sendee in the cause of education,
proving a capable officer. Socially, he is con-
nected with the Grand Army of the Republic.
He came to this country a poor boy and has made
all that he possesses by his own careful business
management, his thrift and enterprise. His life
has been well and worthily spent, and he has
achieved a success which now enables him to
spend his declining years surrounded by all the
comforts and many of the luxuries of life.



LOOMIS POMROY HASKELL,



I OOMIS POMROY HASKELL, who has for
1C thirty-seven years been successfully engaged
\ J in the practice of dentistry in Chicago, has
won a reputation for skill and ability that has
made him known not only in this city but through-
out the world. His prominence in professional
circles makes him well worthy of representation
among the leading citizens of Cook County.

Dr. Haskell was born in Bangor, Me., April
25, 1826, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary
(Fuller) Haskell, who were natives of Gloucester,
Mass. The Haskell family in America was
founded by three brothers, who in an early day
emigrated from England, their native land, to the
New World, and became early settlers in the Mass-
achusetts Colony. About 1823, the father of our



subject removed to Bangor, Me. , and five years
later went to Marblehead, Mass. , where his last
days were passed, his death occurring in 1830.
He was a shoe-maker by trade, and opened the
first shoe-store in Bangor, Me. His wife, who
survived him thirty years, died in Milwaukee,
Wis., in 1860. She was a daughter of Rev.
Thomas Fuller, a Congregational minister of
Gloucester, Mass. Both Mr. and Mrs. Haskell
were members of the Congregational Church, and,
socially, he was connected with the Masonic
order.

After the death of the father the family removed
to Salem, Mass., where the Doctor attended school
until fifteen years of age. He then went to Bos-
ton and entered a printing-office, where he was



J. O. HUTCHINSON.



553



employed for four years. His experience there
formed an excellent supplement to the limited ed-
ucational privileges he had previously received.
On leaving the printing-office, he took up the
study of dentistry in the office of his brother-in-
law, Dr. M. P. Hanson, of Chelsea, Mass., and
in connection with the latter he gave considerable
attention to the manufacture of carved block
teeth. It was through this means that he became
widely known among his professional brethren in
New Kngland.

Ere leaving the East, Dr. Haskell was united
in marriage with Sarah E. Wason, a native of
Chester, N. H. Six children were born of their
union, but only four of the number are now liv-
ing, namely: Ella P.; Lizzie M., wife of Rev. W.
J. Clark, of Lamoille, 111.; Sarah Isabel, wife of
Col. J. B. Parsons, of Dwight, 111.; and Anna N.,
wife of W. T. Barr, of Hinsdale, 111. The two
children now deceased are Harriet N. , who died
in infancy ; and Mary F. , who died at the age of
fifteen years.

In 1856, Dr. Haskell left his old New England
home and removed to Milwaukee, Wis. The
following year he came to Chicago, where he has
since been almost continuously engaged in prac-
tice. He demonstrated the excellence of his
methods for two terms in the Baltimore College
of Dental Surgery, and for two terms in the Minn-
eapolis College. He was Professor of prosthetic
dentistry in the Chicago College of Dental Sur-
gery for four years, and for three years in the
dental department of the Northwestern Univer-
sity. In 1888 he established the first post-grad-
uate school of dentistry, which since that time



has furnished instruction to hundreds of students,
mostly practicing dentists from all parts of North
America, as well as England, Germany, Holland,
Chile, Australia and New Zealand. The Doctor
is a frequent contributor to dental journals, and
is the author of " The Student's Manual and
Hand Book for the Dental Laboratory," which
circulates extensively among the profession in
America, and has been republished in France and
Germany. Since the organization of the party,
Dr. Haskell has been a stanch Republican. In 1848
he cast his first vote, supporting Martin Van Buren
on the Free-Soil ticket, and he was a delegate
to the first Free-Soil Convention ever held in
the United States, which met at Worcester,
Mass. He is a member of the Chicago Dental
Club, the Illinois State Dental Society, and the
American Dental Association. He and his fam-
ily are members of the Congregational Church of
Hinsdale, where they make their home. He has
practiced dentistry longer than any other dentist
in Chicago, and with one exception has been ac-
tively engaged in dental work here longer than
any other member of the profession. He keeps
fully abreast of the times, and is continually
studying to gain new knowledge on the subject
to which he has given his life work. Thus has
he won a front rank among the dentists of the
world. He is a gentleman of pleasing address
and prepossessing manner, and is an interesting
writer and able speaker. So well known is he
throughout the Northwest, that the history of
Cook County would be incomplete without this
sketch.



JAMES O. HUTCHINSON.



(TAMES O. HUTCHINSON, who for nine
I years has been in the employ of the well-
G) known firm of Thomas Cook & Sons, now oc-
cupies the position of General Western Agent,
with headquarters at No. 234 South Clark Street,



Chicago. His long continuance with the com-
pany is a testimonial of his ability and fidelity
more expressive than any words could be. Mr.
Hutchinson was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in
1845, and comes of one of the oldest families of



554



C. A. COOLEY.



the Empire State. His ancestors were originally
natives of Scotland, and came from that country
to America not long after the Colonies had been
founded on the shores of the New World. The
father of our subject was a man of prominence
and influence, and served as a member of the
General Assembly of New York. The maternal
grandfather, Judge Strong, sat on the Supreme
Bench of the State in 1812, and was a prominent
figure in the history of that time.

James O. Hutchinson spent the days of his boy-
hood and youth in his parents' home, acquiring
his education in the public schools and in the
naval academy. He acted as Lieutenant for five



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 84 of 111)