Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 85 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 85 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


years, from 1860 until 1865, and then became
Chief Clerk in the office of the Adjutant-General
of New York. There he remained until 1880.
Two years later he formed a connection with the
firm of Thomas Cook & Sons, which has contin-
ued up to the present time, and which has seen
him advanced from one position to another, until
he is now General Agent for all western territory,
having entered upon the duties of that position
on the 2oth of April, 1893,

Thomas Cook & Sons are general steamship
and railway agents, and secure passage for sin-



gle tourists or parties visiting any known point
on the face of the globe. They have their agents
in all countries, who make the traveling arrange-
ments, and secure a hotel and other accommoda-
tions for visitors, thus giving the tourist time for
sight-seeing which otherwise would be largely
taken up in planning and executing the trip.
They also issue letters of credit and do all ex-
change business with the banks.

Mr. Hutchinson himself has made several trips
to distant lands, has visited Asia, spent some
time in India, China and Egypt, and has seen
many of the points of interest, historical and
otherwise, in Europe. He expects soon to start
for Japan, where he will spend seven months
among one of the most interesting peoples known.

In his social relations, he is connected with the
Grand Army of the Republic, and in his political
affiliations is a Democrat. His life has been a
busy one, and he well merits the confidence and
trust reposed in him by the company with which
he is now connected. His position is a responsi-
ble one, for he is agent for the entire Western
Territory, and attends to all the business of this
section of the country.



CLARK A. COOLEY.



ELARK A. COOLEY is the efficient Clerk
of Elk Grove Township, Cook County.
He resides on section 16, and is numbered
among the prominent farmers of the community.
His entire life has been spent in this locality, and
an honorable, upright career has gained him the
high regard of all with whom he has been brought
in contact. He was born in Elk Grove Town-
ship, this county, September 21, 1847, and comes
of an old New England family. His father,
Charles Cooley, was a native of Vermont, and
emigrated to Illinois in 1845, locating in Elk
Grove Township, where he took up a claim from



the Government and began the development of a
farm, transforming the raw prairie into rich and
fertile fields. There he carried on agricultural
pursuits and made his home until his death,
which occurred in 1884, in his sixty- fourth year.
In politics, he was a Democrat, and served as
School Director. Mrs Cooley, who bore the
maiden name of Clara Green, is a native of Mass-
achusetts, and is yet living, at the age of seventy-
two. Both families were of English origin.

In the Cooley family were seven children, our
subject, who is the eldest, being the only son.
The daughters were: Kittie, wife of William



LOUIS VOI/TZ.



555



Higgins, of Elk Grove Township; Mary, who
died at the age of six years; Sarah, widow of
John B. Weeks, and a resident of Beadle County,
S. Dak.; Addie, who died at the age of a year and
a-half; Clara, wife of John Carson, a resident of
Iowa; and Mary, who is engaged in teaching
school, and makes her home in Arlington
Heights.

C. A. Cooley spent the days of his boyhood
and youth in the usual manner of farmer lads, and
in the schools of Elk Grove Township acquired a
good English education. From an early age he
has been familiar with all the details of farming,
for as soon as old enough to handle the plow he
began work in the fields, and to agricultural pur-
suits has since devoted his energies. In his deal-
ing, he has been quite successful. His farm com-
prises one hundred and fifty-six acres of valuable
land, and is considered one of the best in the town-
ship, for the fields are well tilled, and it is sup-
plied with all modern accessories and conven-
iences. In connection with general farming, the



owner also carries on stock-raising and dealing,
and has met with success in this line.

In 1871, was celebrated the marriage of Mr.
Cooley and Miss Rosa J. Crego, a native of New
York, who, when a maiden of twelve summers,
removed with her parents to Arlington Heights,
111. There her girlhood days were passed. Two
children grace this union, a son and daughter,
Frank A. and Anna E., both of whom are still
at home.

In his political affiliations, Mr. Cooley is a Re-
publican, and in 1893 was elected Clerk of his
township, which position he is now creditably fill-
ing. He has also served as School Director, and
has filled other offices. Having spent his entire
life in this community, Mr. Cooley has witnessed
the many changes which have taken place in the
county, has seen its growth and upbuilding, and
has aided in its development. He has ever been
a progressive and public-spirited man, and is rec-
ognized as a valued citizen.



LOUIS VOLTZ.



I GUIS VOLTZ, who is successfully engaged
1C in farming on section 10, Northfield Town-
l*v ship, Cook County, claims Germany as the
land of his birth. He was born in Hesse-Darm-
stadt, September 30, 1833, and is the second in or-
der of birth in a family of six children whose par-
ents were Louis and Elizabeth Voltz. They were
also natives of Germany. In the common schools
of the neighborhood our subject acquired his edu-
cation. No event of special importance occurred
during his boyhood and youth, which were quietly
passed in his father's home. Having arrived at
years of maturity, he determined to seek his for-
tune in America, and in 1857 crossed the Atlantic
to the New World. He made his way direct to Chi-
cago, and thence removed to McHenry County,
111., where he secured work as a farm hand by the



month. When he had acquired a sufficient capi-
tal, he purchased land in Jefferson Township, Cook
County, and began farming in his own interest.
For a time he continued the cultivation and im-
provement of that tract, but at length sold out, and
in 1870 purchased the farm on which he now re-
sides in Northfield Township.

Mr. Voltz was married in Jefferson Township
in 1862, the lady of his choice being Miss Mar-
garet Kilwy, a native of Germany, who at the
age of fourteen years left the Fatherland and came
to the United States. By the union of this worthy
couple were born the following children: Louis,
who is now deceased; William, who is married;
Katie, who has passed away; Charlie, at home;
Emma, deceased; Emma, the second of that name;
Edward, Walter, Sophia, Ella, George, Frank,



556



A. SOHM.



Richard and Albert, all of whom are yet under
the parental roof. The children were all born in
Cook County, and nine of the number are still at
home.

Mr. Voltz now carries on general farming, and
is the owner of one hundred and six acres of good
land, which he has placed under a high state of
cultivation. He has also made many good im-
provements upon his farm, and its neat and thrifty
appearance indicates his careful supervision. His
life has been a busy one, and as the result of his
energy and untiring labors he has become the
possessor of a comfortable property. He may
truly be called a self-made man.



In religious belief, Mr. Voltz is a Lutheran, and
in politics is a Republican, having supported his
party by his ballot for many years. He has
held the office of School Director for a long period,
and the cause of education finds in him a warm
friend. For six years he served as Township
Commissioner, and is now Township Treasurer.
In September, 1883, he was elected Supervisor of
Northfield Township, and has held that position
continuously since, discharging his duties with a
promptness and fidelity that have not only caused
his retention in office, but have also won him the
high commendation of all concerned.



A. SOHM.



a SOHM is at the head of one of the leading
engraving establishments of Chicago, and is
doing a good business, which has been se-
cured through excellent workmanship, courteous
treatment and honorable dealing. His success is
therefore well deserved. Mr. Sohm claims Aus-
tria as the land of his birth, which occurred in
1862. His father, Joseph Sohm, was also a na-
tive of Austria. Under the parental roof our
subject was reared to manhood, the days of his
boyhood being quietly passed. The schools of
the vicinity afforded him his educational privi-
leges, and when he had mastered the common
branches of learning, he turned his attention to
business pursuits, whereby he might earn his
own livelihood. For some time he engaged in
block-cutting.

At length Mr. Sohm resolved to try his fortune
in America, for he had heard much of its advan-
tages and privileges, and believed that he might
thereby benefit his financial condition. In 1881
he crossed the ocean to the New World, and on
his arrival in America learned the engraving
business in the establishment of the Acme En-
graving Company, of Chicago. He spent three
years in mastering the trade, becoming a most
excellent workman, and then for five years fol-



lowed that vocation in the employ of other firms
in the city.

It was in 1888 that Mr. Sohm embarked in
business for himself, being then located on La
Salle Street. About a year later, however, he
removed to the Staats Zeitung Building, where
he has now been for the past four years. He en-
gages in mechanical engraving, and the artistic
work which he turns out has secured for. him a
liberal patronage. He is recognized as one of the
best engravers in the city, and his high reputa-
tion is well deserved.

In the year 1891, was celebrated the marriage
of Mr. Sohm and Miss Gertrude Bruh. He and
his wife are members of the Catholic Church, and
in the social circles in which they move they have
many friends who esteem them highly. In his
political views, our subject is a supporter of the
Democracy, but has never been an aspirant for
public office, preferring to devote his entire time
and attention to other interests. It proved a for-
tunate day for him when he determined to leave
his native land and make a home in the New
World, and he has never yet had occasion to re-
gret the change, for he has here won a prosperity
that would probably not have come to him had
he remained upon his native soil.



MATHIAS HOFFMAN.



557



MATHIAS HOFFMAN.



|ATHIAS HOFFMAN, a prosperous and
highly respected farmer of Niles Township,
Cook County, residing on section 18, was
born on the 25th of July, 1825, on the River
Rhine, in Prussia, and is a son of Peter and Su-
sannah (Saul) Hoffman, both of whom were born
in Prussia in the year 1799. The grandfather,
Mathias Hoffman, was also a native of the same
country and was a farmer by occupation. In
1842, the parents with their children turned their
faces toward the setting sun and started for the
New World. They crossed the Atlantic in a
sailing-vessel and made their way to Chicago,
taking up their residence on the northwest quar-
ter of section 1 8, Niles Township, Cook County,
where the father purchased a farm of ninety -five
acres, paying $3 per acre. At his death in 1846,
he was the possessor of two hundred and sixty
acres, a valuable and desirable place.

The children born to Peter and Susannah
Hoffman were: Mathias; John, who was a farmer
of Northfield Township; Michael, who lives in
Des Plaines; Marguerite; Nicholas, a farmer of
Niles Township; and Mrs. Catherine Schmelzer.
John and Marguerite are deceased.

Mathias Hoffman was in his seventeenth year
when, with the family, he bade adieu to the Fa-
therland and came to the United States. In Niles
Township he has since made his home, and during
the long years which have since passed his hon-
orable, upright life has made him many friends.
He was married on the 7th of September, 1850,
to Miss Barbara Harsom, daughter of John Har-
som, a farmer and a native of Bavaria. The lady
was born September 19, 1828, and by their union
have been born five children, who in order of
birth are as follows: William, who was born Sep-
tember ii, 1851, and is now a carpenter of South



Evanston; John, born February 24, 1853, who is
now living retired at Gross Point; Nicholas, a
farmer of Northfield Township, born October 19,
1854; Catherine, who was born March 23, 1857,
and is now the wife of James Dal ton, of South Chi-
cago; and Marguerite, who was born March n,
1859, and is the wife of Anton Mayer, a farmer
of Hamlet, Indiana.

Mr. Hoffman received as his portion of his
father's estate forty acres of the old home place
and twelve acres of timber-land. All his other
property has been acquired through his own ef-
forts. By perseverance and untiring industry, he
has made life a success and has acquired a hand-
some competency. Some years since he gave to
each of his children seventy acres of valuable
prairie land, and ten acres of timber, save to
one daughter, to whom he gave $7,000 in cash.
He has ever been of a liberal and generous nature,
free and open-handed with those in whom he
takes an interest, and cannot do too much to en-
hance the happiness and promote the welfare of
his family. Although he has transacted a large
volume of business, he has never had a lawsuit,
but has ever been at peace with all mankind.

The parents and their children are all members
of the Catholic Church, and are highly respected,
having many friends in this community. In his
political views, Mr. Hoffman is a Democrat, and
cast his first Presidential vote in 1848. Although
he has never been an office-seeker, he has served
as Assessor of Niles Township for twenty-four
years, has been Road Commissioner six years, and
School Director for a quarter of a century. Be-
ing a man of excellent judgment, he has made
an efficient officer, and his fidelity to duty is well
attested by his long service.



558



T. S. ROGERS.



CAPT. THEODORE S. ROGERS.



EAPT. THEODORE S. ROGERS is one of
the leading citizens of Downer's Grove, and
an honored veteran of the late war, who
wore the blue in defense of the Union, and vali-
antly followed the Old Flag in many of the most
hotly contested battles of that struggle, which
not only did away with slavery, but made the
Union more indissoluble than before. The Cap-
tain was born in Morristown, St. Lawrence
County, N. Y., August 30, 1831. The family is
of English lineage. The father, Joseph I. Rogers,
was a native of Rhode Island. Removing to
the Empire State, he there married Caroline
Smith, who was born in New York, and was also
of English extraction. Her father was a well-
educated man, and kept a hotel in New York for
a number of years. In 1844 Mr. Rogers came
with his family to Illinois, making the journey
by water to Chicago, where he hired a team, with
which he came to DuPage County. Here he
purchased a farm, upon which he spent his re-
maining days. He was a stanch Republican,
and took quite an active part in local politics.
His death occurred in this county, at the age of
sixty-two years. He was the only son of the
family who lived to any age, but has a sister,
Mrs. Julia Aldrich, who is now living in this
county, at the advanced age of ninety-five years.
The mother of our subject still survives her hus-
band, and although now in her eighty-third year,
her mental and physical faculties are well pre-
served.

The Rogers family numbered six children,
three sons and three daughters, but Ella is now
deceased. The others are Mary I/., widow of
Chauncy Harmon, and a resident of Downer's
Grove; Theodore S.; Joseph W., a prosperous



merchant of this place; Francis A., a successful
farmer of Downer's Grove Township; and Sarah,
wife of John A. Kinley, of Aurora, 111.

Capt. Rogers spent the first thirteen years of
his life in the State of his nativity, and in 1844
came with his parents to Illinois. He remained
at home until twenty years of age, when he be-
gan teaching school in this county. For twelve
winters he followed that profession, while in the
summer months his labors were devoted to work
upon the home farm. He had attended the com-
mon schools, and was graduated from the Down-
er's Grove High School. On the igth of July,
1862, prompted by patriotic impulses, he re-
sponded to the country's call for troops, and en-
listed as a private of the One Hundred and Fifth
Illinois Infantry. On the organization of Com-
pany B, he was elected Captain. The regiment
went into camp at Dixon, and was mustered into
the United States service September 2, 1862, and
sent thence to Louisville and Frankfort, Ky., en-
gaging at the skirmish at the latter place. Capt.
Rogers took part in the battles of Bowling Green,
Taylor's Ridge, Smoke Creek Gap, and at the
battle of Resaca had charge of the skirmish line
in front of the assaulters. He led his men at
Calhoun, Cassville, the advance on Dallas, New
Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Lookout
Mountain, Golgotha, the assault on Kenesaw, the
battle of Marietta, Chattahoocb.ee River, Peach
Tiee Creek, the battle of Atlanta, and the siege
of that city. On the 3oth of September, 1864,
he resigned and was honorably discharged from
the service. He participated in many skirmishes
and battles, and his war record is one of which he
may well be proud.

On the i3th of December, 1855, the Captain







CAPT. THEO. S. ROGERS.



LIBRARY

OF THE

/|V ERS1TY OF



P. C. GARDNER.



559



married Miss Helen M., a daughter of Dexter
and Nancy (Capron) Stanley, who were among
the early settlers of DuPage County. She was
born in Pennsylvania, February 6, 1833, but
since her second year has made her home in this
county. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers had two children,
Bertha and Glen, but both died in infancy.

The Captain was elected Sheriff of DuPage
County in 1860, but on entering the service of
his country he left reliable deputies to perform
the duties of that office. He has served as Super-
visor, Township Clerk and Collector. He was a
member of the Board of Town Trustees for four-
teen years, and, with the exception of one year,
was President during that entire time. He cast
his first Presidential vote for Scott, but it is need-
less to say that he is now a stanch Republican,
supporting that party which was formed to pre-
vent the further extension of slavery. In 1892
he was appointed by Gov. Fifer on the Board of
Equalization to fill the vacancy caused by the
death of Henry L. Bush. He is a prominent
Grand Army man, and with the exception of one
year has been Commander of Naper Post No.
468, G. A. R., of Downer's Grove, since its or-
ganization. At that time he refused to have the
office, but, his comrades insisting upon his ac-
cepting the position again, he is now the incum-
bent. He has served as Superintendent of the
Agricultural Society of the county for a number



of years, and is a member of the Masonic frater-
nity of Downer's Grove, and the Royal Arcanum
of Hinsdale. He also belongs to the Loyal
Legion of Illinois, the last two being societies of
the Army of the Cumberland and the Army of
the Tennessee.

After his return from the war, the Captain en-
gaged in teaching school for a year, then spent
one year in the insurance business, and in July,
1866, embarked in the market and provision busi-
ness in Chicago. In 1871, in the great fire, he
was burned out, and again in 1874, but with
characteristic energy he rebuilt, retrieved his
losses, and has since successfully carried on busi-
ness. He now has one of the finest markets in
Chicago, located at the corner of Wabash Ave-
nue and Eighteenth Street. His possessions have
all been acquired through his own earnings, and
he has gained a handsome competence, but in-
stead of using it all for selfish ends, he gives lib-
erally to charitable and benevolent work. The
needy are never turned from his door empty-
handed, and probably no man has contributed so
much to the poor of Downer's Grove as has
Capt. Rogers. He has a beautiful home here
and several lots and business houses. Through-
out DuPage and Cook Counties he has a host of
friends, and is held in the highest regard by all
with whom he has been brought in contact.



CAPT. PETER G. GARDNER.



EAPT. PETER G. GARDNER, one of the
representative citizens of La Grange, and a
man prominent in public affairs in this com-
munity, claims Ohio as his native State. He was
born near Zanesville, September 12, 1842, and
was the second in a family of four children, three
sons and a daughter, born unto Adam and Eliza-
beth Gaertner. The mode of spelling the sur-
uame was changed to Gardner by the Captain.



The father was born in Germany, and there grew
to mature years. Having married, he came to
this country, locating near Zanesville, Ohio. His
wife died in 1846, after which the family was
scattered, and the father joined an Ohio regiment
for service in the Mexican War. He was killed
in the siege of the City of Mexico.

Capt. Gardner was only four years of age at
the time of his mother's death. He was bound



560



P. C. GARDNER.



out to a farmer near Zanesville, and there resided
until fifteen years of age, when he began work-
ing as a farm hand by the month through the
summer season, and in the winter he attended
the common schools. On the i7th of April, 1861,
he joined Company A, of the Fifteenth Ohio In-
fantry, for three months' service, being among the
first to respond to the call for troops. When that
term had expired, he immediately re-enlisted, and
was made Corporal March 7, 1862. He was ap-
pointed Sergeant January i, 1864, and was made
First lieutenant February 9, 1865. On the ist
of January, 1864, he again enlisted for another
term of three years, if the war continued so
long. On the gth of February, 1865, he was dis-
charged as an enlisted man, to accept a commis-
sion as First Lieutenant of his old company and
regiment. On the 22d of December, 1865, in
Columbus, Ohio, he received his final discharge.
He participated in the engagement at Philippi,
W. Va. , and afterwards took part in the battles
of Carricks Ford, Cheat Mountain and Shiloh.
He also participated in the engagement at Liberty
Gap, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge, and was
in the entire campaign from Chattanooga to At-
lanta, which lasted from May i until Septem-
ber i, 1864. During all that time hardly an hour
passed during which the sound of the guns could
not be heard. He took part in the engagements
at Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, New Hope Church,
Kennesaw Mountain, Chattahoochee River, and for
five weeks was in the siege of Atlanta. The army
then went South, and after the battle of Franklin
the regiment in which Mr. Gardner served, which
formed a part of the rear-guard, had to destroy
the bridge at that place. They then returned to
Nashville, Tenn., with Gen. Thomas in com-
mand, and participated in the campaign. In June,
1865, Capt. Gardner was sent to western Texas,
and during the month of August, with his troops,
marched from Matagorda Bay to San Antonio,
where he remained on duty until December, 1865.
He then marched back to the Gulf of Mexico,
after which he returned home. He received no
serious wounds, but had some very narrow es-
capes. He still has in his possession the sword
which he carried through the greater part of the



war, and upon it is a large scar that was caused
by a piece of shell striking it.

When his country no longer needed his serv-
ices, Capt. Gardner returned to his home in
Zanesville, Ohio, but after a short time went to
visit his sister in Mattoon, 111. The eldest
brother of the family, now deceased, was in the
Sixth Iowa Infantry. The Captain had not seen
him since the home was broken up until the
night following the battle of Shiloh, when they
chanced to meet. The brother was wounded at
the battle of Missionary Ridge, and was a cripple
throughout the remainder of his life. George A. ,
another brother, was a member of the same com-
pany and regiment as our subject, and is now
residing in Chula, Mo., a retired farmer and
prominent citizen of that place, where he is en-
gaged in the banking business. Their sister,
Catherine, is now the wife of Henry Hortinstine,
a farmer residing in Chillicothe, Mo.

Removing to Clinton, Iowa, in 1866, Capt.
Gardner there engaged in the fire-insurance bus-
iness until 1869, when he went to Chicago, where
he followed the same pursuit and where he is
still engaged in business. In the spring of 1871,
he came to where the town of LaGrange now
stands, being the first resident of the village.
Purchasing a lot on the prairie, he has made
this place his home continuously since.

In June, 1869, was celebrated the marriage of



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 85 of 111)