Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 87 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 87 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Max Lesem,
in 1894.

Jacob Greenebaum was born at Reipolskirchen,
and lost his father by death when he was six
years old. He was brought up to commercial
pursuits, having the advantage of a thorough ed-
ucation in the German, French and Hebrew lan-
guages, and became a merchant at Eppelsheim,
in the Grand Duchy of Darmstadt. He possessed
a taste for agriculture, and gradually came into
possession of land in the Commune of Eppelsheim
and adjoining territory, until he owned and man-
aged a large estate. His wife, of sacred memory,



5 68



HENRY GREENEBAUM.



was a daughter of Michael and Jetta (Felsen-
thal) Herz, of Eppelsheim, where Mr. Herz was
a veterinary surgeon and a livestock dealer. They
were able to give their children the benefit of
the best schools, and did not fail to thus perform
their duty in preparing them for the stations for
which they were fitted by birth and capability.
In 1852 Mr. Greenebaum sold his possessions and
came to Chicago to be near his sons, three of
whom had preceded him by several years. He
did not engage in active business after coming
here, but made real-estate purchases and built a
number of houses for rent. He died in 1870, at
the age of seventy-three years, and was followed to
the grave by a very large concourse of people,
the large courthouse bell being tolled as the pro-
cession moved, May n, 1870. His wife, survived
him thirteen years, reaching the age of eighty-
seven years. Eight of their thirteen children
came to America, the others having died before
the removal of their parents from Eppelsheim,
several of them in infancy. Elias, the eldest, is
a prominent banker in Chicago. Michael, the
second, was an iron merchant, and did an exten-
sive business in Chicago, where he died in 1894,
leaving a widow and a large and interesting fam-
ily of sons and daughters. He came to America
in 1846, and to Chicago the next year. Jacob,
the third, died here in 1871, and Isaac in 1885.
The latter was a hardware merchant, and later in
life became a broker in Chicago. Henry is the
next in order of birth. Hannah died while the
wife of Gerhard Foreman, an old-time banker of
this city. Barbara is the wife of A. Wise, of
Chicago; and David S., the youngest of the fam-
ily, is engaged in the banking business in the
same city. Elias, Michael and Henry preceded
the rest of the family to Chicago.

Henry Greenebaum was born at Eppelsheim,
Germany, June 18, 1833. He received his prim-
ary education in the public schools, where he
early attracted the favorable notice of the teachers
and school officers. He then took up the classics
at Alzey and Kaiserslautern, and only left off
his literary researches when he started for Amer-
ica. He arrived in Chicago October 25, 1848,
and at once took employment as a hardware sales-



man in the establishment of W. F. Dominick,
who conducted a strictly cash and one-price busi-
ness. Young Greenebaum found this employ-
ment congenial, especially as its conduct harmon-
ized with his ideas of integrity and sound financial
management. After two years of service, in
which he did not fail to improve his opportunities,
he engaged as clerk in the banking house of
General R. K. Swift. Here he met many prom-
inent citizens of the state, and his intercourse with
them enhanced his knowledge of men and affairs.
He was inspired with a laudable ambition to be-
come a man of business, and he so applied him-
self as to be thoroughly conversant with banking
in the course of four years, during which time he
made a trip to Europe and formed business con-
nections for his employer.

At the end of this period, in connection with
his elder brother, Elias, a clerk in the same bank,
he opened a similar business on his own account.
In fact, all of the Greenebaum brothers, except
Jacob, became at one time or another bankers,
though not in the same bank. The subject of
this sketch did not follow the limited lines of
nationality or religious affiliation, but fraternized
with New Englanders and Southerners, as well
as the natives of the Fatherland. He was a reader
and lover of books, and joined the Young Men's
Library Association, in whose affairs he was an
active officer, with Robert Collyer and others, until
the Great Fire. He was among the early officers
of the Athenaeum, another literary institution
after the fire, and was among the promoters of
the City Library. As a member of the commit-
tee of which the late Thomas Hoyne was Chair-
man, he went to Springfield and aided in securing
the permanent establishment of this great institu-
tion, which has grown to be one of the most im-
portant and valuable establishments of the city
of his home.

He became President of the German-National
Bank, which was compelled by the panic of 1877
to close its doors after a long-continued run, in
which it paid eighty per cent, of its liabilities in
cash, and within a comparatively short time paid
the balance, with interest. The German Sav-
ings Bank, of which he was also President, had



HENRY GREENEBAUM.



569



a similar experience at the same time, and met
its liabilities in the same honorable manner. The
aggregate deposits of these banks in the time of
their highest prosperity approximated five mill-
ions of dollars.

In his social and benevolent activities Mr.
Greenebaum has accomplished a stupendous
work, the simple enumeration of which almost
exceeds the capacity of this article. His great
heart and wide popularity are evidenced by the
mere mention of these associations. He is a life
member of the Chicago Historical Society, the
Academy of Sciences, the Astronomical Society,
and of several kindred associations. Through
secret and benevolent societies he has been per-
mitted to do more for his fellows than often falls
in the way of a single man. All Jewish interests,
congregational, charitable and educational, owe a
heavy debt to the tireless energy and enthusiasm
of Mr. Greenebaum. In 1855, at Cleveland, Ohio,
he joined the nearest lodge of the Independent
Order of B'nai B'rith, and two years later took a
card of withdrawal in order to assist in institut-
ing Rammah Lodge Number 33, of that frater-
nity, in Chicago. He was an active member of
District Lodge Number 2 for ten years, and one
of the founders of the Cleveland Orphan Asy-
lum, of whose Board of Trustees he is still a
member. At the convention of the order in 1868,
at New York, as a member of the~Committee on
Constitution, he was largely instrumental in plac-
ing the entire body upon a Democratic basis, es-
tablishing the sovereignty of lodges. At that
convention a charter was granted to District Grand
Lodge Number 6, of which he became the first
Grand President by unanimous choice, and twice
succeeded himself. His usefulness in these and
other matters is well known to the great body
of the Jewish people in Chicago, and has become
almost as well established in foreign lands. In
June, 1885, he assisted Julius Bien, President of
this order, in instituting District Grand Lodge
Number 8 at Berlin, Germany. Five years later
he was in attendance at the convention of the order
at Richmond, Virginia, representing the Berlin
District Grand Lodge, and in May, 1895, repre-
sented District No. 9, Roumania, at the conven-



tion in Cincinnati, Ohio. He has delivered many
addresses in various conventions, the last being
at Grand Rapids, Michigan, in February, 1892,
upon "Knowledge and Character." His spoken
and written matter is always clear and effective.
He is an officer of the Jewish Training School, a
Director in the German Altenheim, and holds
membership in many other organizations.

In the purely religious institutions of his people
in Chicago he has ever been foremost and efficient.
Before he was of age he was Secretary of the con-
gregation B'nai Sholom. In 1855 he withdrew
to join that of Anshe Maarib, and was elected an
honorary member of the congregation of B'nai
Sholom. He was one of a minority in Anshe
Maarib who proposed a modification of forms of
Jewish worship, and was associated with Levi
Rosenfeld and Lazarus Silverman as a commit-
tee to make the desired changes in the official rit-
ual. Although the majority were favorable to
their report, Mr. Greenebaum would not consent
to its adoption by a mere majority, and accord-
ing to his desire the reformers were induced to
go out and form a new congregation, which is
now known as Sinai, and is the strongest con-
gregation in Chicago. In 1864 Mr. Greenebaum
was the founder of Zion Temple on the West Side,
and was its President seven years. In 1882 he
was requested to take charge again, which he
did for two years, and during this time the move-
ment was started for the building of the beautiful
temple of the society erected at Washington
Boulevard and Ogden Avenue. In the fall of
1895 a large number of co-religionists living south
of Thirty-ninth Street united to organize the
Isaiah Temple, a Jewish Reform congregation,
with Dr. Joseph Stoltz as Rabbi, and Mr. Greene-
baum was elected the first President of the con-
gregation by a unanimous vote.

Mr. Greenebaum was one of the foremost in
placing on a firm foundation the United Hebrew
Charities, formerly known as the United Hebrew
Relief Association. It built and maintained a hos-
pital on La Salle Avenue. At the laying of its cor-
ner-stone, when May or John B. Rice was the only
speaker beside Mr. Greenebaum, the latter said:
"While it is true that it is to be built and when



570



HENRY GREENEBAUM.



completed will be maintained by the Jews of Chi-
cago, yet its doors will ever be open to any poor or
sick man, without any reference to nationality, de-
nomination, creed or color;" and his utterance
was deeply applauded by the Jewish people pres-
ent. He takes a just pride in the fact that he is
an honorary member of Johanna Lodge, the lead-
ing organization of Jewish ladies in Chicago,
devoted to charity and intellectual culture. He
is also President of the Past- Presidents' Associa-
tion of District Grand Lodge Number 6, 1.O.B.B.,
and for thirty years officiated in Zion Temple as
reader on the most important Jewish holiday, the
eve of the Day of Atonement.

As early as 1856 he took an active part in or-
ganizing several German societies, and was Pres-
ident of the German Aid Society in 1861. He
was the first President of the Orpheus Mannaer-
chor, in 1869. On account of his services in fur-
thering the war for the preservation of the Amer-
ican Union, he is an honorary member of the
Eighty-second Illinois Veteran Association. Dur-
ing the Civil War he maintained a recruiting of-
fice in Chicago at his own expense, and furnished
a man to serve in the army as his representative.
He was Chief Marshal on the following occasions:
the Siegel Festival in 1862; the great Peace Jubi-
lee of 1871; the opening of Humboldt Park by
the German people; and the unveiling of the
Humboldt monument. He was Division Marshal
at the unveiling of the Fritz Reuter monument,
and was Adjutant-General 011 German Day at
the World' s Fair in 1893, and also at the recent
commemoration of the German victory at Sedan.
It will thus be seen that he is and has been for
forty years a prominent representative of the best
German element in Chicago.

Mr. Greenebaum has never been a politician,
and holds broad and liberal views on political, as
well as religious, questions. He originally af-
filiated with the Democratic party, and was a
warm admirer of Stephen A. Douglas, whose
personal friend he was. Without his previous
knowledge, he was placed on the Democratic
electoral ticket in 1860. His only political office
previous to that was that of Alderman from the
Sixth Ward, defeating in the election the ' 'know-



nothing' ' candidate. In the City Council he act-
ed as Chairman of the Finance Committee. After
the war he became a Republican, and was chosen
Elector-at- Large on the Presidential ticket of that
party in 1872. With Charles B. Farwell, he
represented Cook County on the first Equaliza-
tion Board of the state, and the clear financial
ideas of these two gentlemen enabled the first
board to complete its business in five days. He
was appointed by Governor Palmer a delegate to
a national convention at Indianapolis to devise
means for protecting European immigrants, and
was a member of the committee which laid the
matter before Congress. He was a member of
the Committee on Finance to make preliminary
arrangements for the Philadelphia Exposition of
1876. He was active in promoting the adoption
of Chicago's park system, and was appointed a
member of the West Chicago Park Commission
in 1869, and was once re-appointed. He was
one of the first promoters of direct trade between
Chicago and Europe, and for many years his let-
ters-of-credit were readily cashed throughout the
civilized world.

In 1855 Mr. Greenebaum was married, in New
York, to Miss Emily Hyman, whose birthplace
is not far from that of her husband. Having been
trained in the same manner and under the same
customs, they have been happily united all these
years in aim and thought, and are warmly wel-
comed in general, as well as Jewish, society.
Mrs. Greenebaum sympathizes wholly with her
husband's benevolent disposition, and does her
part in aiding him. For twenty-two years she
has been the representative of the Jewish people
in the directory of the Home for the Friendless,
and has fulfilled her duties in perfect accord with
her associates. The only child of this couple,
born August 24, 1856, was named George Wash-
ington, and died on the day which completed his
first year of life. Several orphaned children of
relatives have been reared by Mr. and Mrs.
Greenebaum with the same loving care which
their own would have received had he been
spared to them.

Though still influenced much by his early Ger-
man training, Mr. Greenebaum is a true Ameri-



D. S. SMITH.



can, loyal through and through. He is a student
of literature and modern languages, of which he
speaks half a dozen, and is much interested in
music. He has contributed liberally to the mu-
sical culture of Chicago, and to providing a home
for musical art. He is a firm believer in the
power of woman in the ethical development of the
world, and approves of every effort to remove her
trammels and make her the equal of man in lib-
erties and power, as she is in talent.

Mr. Greenebaum is a resident Manager at Chi-



cago of the Equitable Life Assurance Society of
the United States, and has been connected with
the company since the spring ot 1882. His ster-
ling character and business activity have secured
for him a large business from the best element of
Chicago, and won for him a deserved respect and
confidence on the part of the general officers of the
society. Although in his sixty-third year, he is
a special favorite of the young people, to whom he
is sympathetic and congenial as an associate. He
is an optimist, and always pleasant and agreeable.



PROF. DAVID S. SMITH, M. D.



. D. S. SMITH, M. D., late President of
LX the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago,
[& was born in Camden, New Jersey, April 28,
1816. His father, Isaac Smith, was born in Salem
County, of that state. His mother's family name
was Wheaton, a family of Welsh extraction.
The sturdy, manly principles which mark the
career of Professor Smith are largely due to the
character he inherited from his parents. They were
both noted for great force of character, and they
trained their children in ways of strict right-
eousness and integrity. Besides this training,
David received from his parents a nature full of
energy and perseverance, attributes which were
strong factors in leading him to a grand success
in the field of labor he eventually chose as his
life work. From his mother, particularly, he
received a taste for learning that led him to be-
come a most diligent student. He made rapid
progress in his studies, and early evinced a strong
inclination for the study of medicine. In this he
was encouraged, and when only seventeen became
a medical student in the office of Dr. Isaac Mul-
ford, of Camden, New Jersey. He attended three
full terms of lectures at the Jefferson Medical Col-
lege in Philadelphia, and graduated in 1836.



Chicago, at that time, began to attract the en-
terprising youth of the East, and Dr. Smith,
with his references, began practice in Chicago.
He was successful from the start, and in 1837
went back to Camden to visit his parents. It
was a momentous visit, as it was then that Dr.
Smith attained the first insight into the then new
doctrine of homoeopathy. So interested did he
become in the subject, that he resolved to investi-
gate it thoroughly. He bought all the books he
could find in the English language treating upon
the matter, and brought them with him when he
returned to Chicago. Circumstances led him to
Joliet for a time, and there he studied assiduously
the doctrines of Hahnemann. The world to-day
knows the result of his researches. Dr. Smith
brought the new science to the front to such pur-
pose that he has been called "the Father of
Western Homoeopathy." He procured from the
Illinois Legislature, in 1854-55, the charter of
Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago. The
original draft of this charter was written by Dr.
Smith in the law office of Abraham Lincoln at
Springfield, Illinois. The achievement of con-
ceiving and establishing this college gave to Dr.
Smith great honor and credit.



572



D. S. SMITH.



Dr. Smith remained in Joliet until 1842, when
he returned to Chicago. In the spring of 1843
he adopted the new system in his practice. He
was thus the first physician to introduce homoe-
opathic practice west of the Great Lakes, a region
that now has six medical colleges, twice as many
hospitals, and more than two thousand prac-
titioners to represent what he stood for singly and
alone. He was both surprised and gratified at
the favor with which the new system was received
by the public. He soon had more calls than he
could respond to, and other practitioners were
attracted to his side. So rapidly did the new
school increase in members, that a medical body
was soon formed whose power has kept pace with
the other great factors in the growth of the west-
ern metropolis. Dr. Smith was naturally elected
President of the Board of Trustees of Hahnemann
Medical College when it was organized. He held
that position until 1871, when he resigned in
favor of Dr. A. E. Small. At the death of the
latter he was again elected President, and held
the office up to the time of his death. He was
obliged to desist from his labors on account of
failing health at various times, and in 1866 he
went to Europe, where he spent a year in travel.
His reputation had preceded him, and he was
received at the various hospitals and colleges
which he visited with the friendliest attention
and consideration from the distinguished mem-
bers of the profession. When he returned home,
in 1867, he was fully restored to health, and fol-
lowed his profession till the day of his death.

Dr. Smith was an attendant of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and through his mother's in-
fluence he became early imbued with a deep
religious conviction. He was a man of sterling
integrity and unflinching uprightness, simple in
his habits, dignified, urbane and generous. His
noble efforts and humane spirit were recognized
when the cholera epidemic fell upon the city from
1848 to 1854. Instances of his devotion to the
suffering poor at that time can be related which
place him in the ranks of the most noted bene-
factors of the human race. He was hospitable
in the extreme, and an attentive listener to all
who sought his ear for counsel. Thoroughly ac-



curate in his own habits, he was a strict disciplin-
arian, and demanded the same adhesion to duty
which he rendered himself. In recognition of
his ability, and in appreciation of his services to
the cause of homoeopathy, an honorary degree
was conferred upon him, in 1856, by the Homoe-
opathic Medical College of Cleveland, Ohio. In
1857 h e was elected General Secretary of the
American Institute of Homoeopathy, in 1864 was
chosen President, and in 1865 Treasurer of this
national association.

Naturally, with his many professional duties,
Dr. Smith never sought political honors, but he
lived and died a stalwart Republican. He was
President of the Second Ward Republican Club
in its palmiest days, during the Hayes campaign.
He was at the time of his death the honored and
popular President of the old Tippecanoe Club of
Chicago, which was organized in July, 1887, by
those who ad voted for General Harrison in
1840.

Dr. Smith was married, in 1837, * Miss
Rebecca Ann Dennis, a native of Salem, New
Jersey, who survives him. She came to Chicago
in 1835 with her uncle, E. H. Mulford, in whose
family she resided until her marriage. Four
children blessed their union, two of whom survive.
The eldest is the widow of Maj. F. F. White-
head, of the United States army. Caroline is the
wife of E. L. Ely, of New York City.

Dr. Smith died in Chicago, April 29, 1891.
The following resolutions were adopted by the
faculty of Hahnemann Medical College and Hos-
pital of Chicago, and the members of the hospital
staff:

' ' Inasmuch as we have been deeply grieved by
the death of our worthy and venerable colleague,
Dr. David S. Smith, we, as a faculty, in expres-
sion of deep sorrow, and in acknowledgment of
his inestimable services, do hereby adopt the fol-
lowing resolution:

' ' Resolved, That we recognize first of all the loss
of the profession at large, in which, as the first
representative of our school of practice in this
locality, his undaunted energy and marked abil-
ity during the pioneer days have given the im-
print of success and of character to the modern



F. I. JACOBS.



573



standard of medicine. What he knew to be right
he faithfully prescribed. What he honestly be-
lieved he bravely defended and earnestly applied.
To his ability and his faithfulness the followers of
homoeopathy owe a debt of gratitude, and the
generations to come will bow in reverence to his

name.

' ' Resolved, That as the President of our College
and Hospital, we shall miss his guiding spirit
and his encouraging presence. In all our work
he has ever been a willing helper and a good ad-
viser. His life was consecrated to the college he
established and loved, and his pride was centered
in her prosperity. The joy of his last days was
the realization that ' Old Hahnemann ' had ful-
filled the desire of his heart and had become the



largest homoeopathic college of the world. To
every student his words were an encouragement
to honest ambition. To every graduate he gave
the inspiration of hope.

' ' Resolved, That more than all we admire the
manly qualities and the Christian character of his
life. In all things he was ennobling. At all
times the silent dignity of his faith gave a strength
to his work. His absence will ever be mourned
and his memory forever honored. In our loss we
shall sacredly prize the record he leaves us.

' ' Resolved, That to his bereaved family we ten-
der our sincere sympathy, and offer the token of
love we bore our departed friend and associate in
their sorrow."



FRANCIS I. JACOBS.



RANCIS IRVING JACOBS, a gallant vet-
eran of the great Civil War, residing at Wil-
mette, was born at Spafford Hollow, Onon-
daga County, New York, October 4, 1846. He
is the son of Rev. Milo E. and Cornelia (O'Far-
rel) Jacobs. Milo E. Jacobs was born in Ver-
mont, and removed with his parents to New
York in boyhood. His father, Elias Jacobs, was
a native of Vermont, of German descent. Betsey
Jacobs, wife of the latter, was of Welsh descent.
The Jacobs family dates from early Colonial times
in this country, Elnathan Jacobs, the father of
Elias, having been born, probably in Vermont,

in 1750-

Milo E. Jacobs was educated at Cazenovia,
New York. He entered the Methodist ministry
while a young .man. In 1857 he went to Ogle
County, Illinois, and settled on a farm. Two
years later he removed to Winnebago, Illinois,
where he joined the Rock River Conference, and
was successively located at Lena, Richmond, Sand
L,ake, Lanark and other charges. He died in



Winnebago, on account of an injury received in
Chicago in the spring of 1874, aged fifty-one
years. His widow died in Chicago in 1893, aged
seventy-two years. She was born at Spafford
Hollow, New York. Her father, William O'Far-
rel, who was born August 28, 1784, was a farmer,



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 87 of 111)