Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 88 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 88 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Irish descent. His wife, Dinah, was a daugh-
ter of Henry and Catharine Turbush, of Fishkill,
New York. Mr. and Mrs. Milo E. Jacobs had
three sons and a daughter: Francis I.; Charles
H., of Marble Rock, Iowa; Wilbur F., of Rock-
ford, Illinois; and Alfaretta, who died at the age
of eleven years, at Winnebago.

Francis I. Jacobs attended the public schools
until the beginning of the Civil War. In August,
1861, being then fourteen years and ten months
old, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-seventh
Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served nearly
five years, beginning with Fremont's campaign in
Missouri. This included the battles of Pea Ridge
and Prairie Grove (where five thousand Union
troops drove twenty thousand rebels from the



574



F. I. JACOBS.



field) , and other engagements of minor character.
After the Missouri service he was taken down the
river to Vicksburg, and took part in the siege of
that place and other expeditions in Mississippi.
Thence he went to Port Hudson, where he was
stationed for some time, and later he was at Mor-
ganza Bend, Louisiana. He camped at New
Orleans and various points in Louisiana. He was
on the Texas frontier during the winter of 1863
-64, where the regiment re-enlisted, and he re-
ceived a veteran's furlough.

While returning to the front after the expira-
tion of his furlough, Mr. Jacobs met General
Banks' army on retreat from its disastrous Red
River expedition. The steamers going down
stream met those going up and formed a bridge,
on which the army crossed from the west bank to
an island in the river. This temporary bridge
was instantly and readily removed before the
enemy could advance and take possession. Mr.
Jacobs continued to New Orleans. ' Later the
regiment went to Pensacola by boats, thence
overland to Mobile Bay, and helped capture the
forts opposite the city, with severe fighting. After
the capture of Mobile, they encamped three miles
from the city, where pieces of iron fell in camp at
the explosion of the arsenal at Mobile Bay. From
here they went, by way of Selma, to Montgomery,
Alabama, and heard of Lee's surrender on the
march.

Mr. Jacobs was soon afterward sent to New
Orleans, and thence went on an expedition to
Sabine Pass, Columbus and Houston, Texas.
While on the levee at Morganza Bend, Louisiana,
he was detailed to serve in the artillery force.
Being surprised by the enemy while saddling a
horse, he received a kick from the animal, in con-
sequence of its pain at being shot. This consti-
tuted the only injury he received during his service
of four years and ten months, though frequently
exposed to a galling fire. He was captured that
evening and marched about a mile to the enemy's
camp. Being unable to walk on account of lame-
ness from the kick of the horse, he was assigned
to an ambulance, and helped to care for the
wounded. During the night a Union ambulance
corps arrived, under cover of a flag of truce, and



by claiming to be wounded he was taken in the
wagon to the Union camp. Among several hun-
dreds of his comrades captured on that day, most
were kept prisoners for eighteen months, and many
were starved and killed. While on duty guard-
ing a plantation in Texas, he was offered the use
of a large cotton plantation for three years, free of
cost. The owner was about to leave the state for
fear of arrest for treason, and thought he could
leave his property in no safer hands than those of
a Union soldier; but his offer was declined. Dur-
ing his service he traveled over 13,000 miles,
marching on foot about one-fourth of that dis-
tance, and took part in four battles and thirteen
skirmishes.

After the war he was engaged in stock-farming
at Downer's Grove, Illinois, where he reared
thoroughbred horses and cattle. In the fall of
1871, he moved to Chicago, where he was em-
ployed in overseeing preparations for rebuilding
the burned city. He was also engaged in buying
old iron for an eastern foundry. For two years
he was engaged in the grocery trade on West
Madison Street, and two years in commission
business on South Water Street. Five years
were spent in the office of the ' ' Panhandle ' '
Railroad, at Crown Point, Indiana. The next six
years were passed on a stock farm in Franklin
County, Iowa, breeding high-grade horses, cattle
and swine. Since 1887 he has been connected
with the commission firm of Wayne & Low, on
South Water Street, Chicago, taking charge of
their butter trade.

Since the fall of 1894 Mr. Jacobs has lived at
Wilmette, where he built a pleasant home. His
business career has been marked by integrity,
activity and thoroughness.

He was married, in 1869, to Miss Julia Flora
Hudson, daughter of Horace Hudson, of Winne-
bago, Illinois. They have one adopted child,
Bdith Wilson Jacobs. Mr. Jacobs is a member
of George H. Thomas Post Number 5, Grand
Army of the Republic. While living at Crown
Point he joined the Masonic order. He takes
considerable interest in public affairs, and gives
his enthusiastic support to Republican candidates
and principles.



LIBRARY
OF THE
DIVERSITY OF ILLIf'




GEN. HERMANN LIEB



HERMANN UEB.



575



HERMANN LIEB.



HERMANN UEB, who has distin-
|_ guished himself in both military and civil
U life in the United States, was born in Chateau
Hard, near Ermatingen, on the shore of Lake
Constance, Switzerland. The family is among
the oldest in Switzerland.

General Lieb's father, Frederick Lieb, was sent
to London by his father, Siegmund Lieb, in 1809,
to study the English system of cotton manu-
facturing, which he introduced in Russia.

In 1817 Frederick Lieb married Henriette Von
Vosmer, of noble family, born in Schleswig-
Holstein, then belonging to Denmark. Return-
ing to Switzerland in 1825, having amassed a
considerable fortune, Mr. Lieb settled upon the
beautifully situated estate he had purchased, to
pass the remainder of his life in pursuits con-
genial to his studious habits. Frederick Lieb's
family consisted of four sons and two daughters.

Until twelve years of age, Hermann Lieb, the
subject of this biography, attended the Constance
public schools, after which he was sent to a Ger-
man preparatory school, and from there to French
Switzerland to perfect himself in the French
language. At the age of nineteen he joined his
oldest brother, who was in Paris engaged in the
exporting and importing trade, in connection
with Russian houses. The Revolution of 1848
disarranged commercial affairs, and young Lieb,
being an enthusiastic Republican, served in the
Garde Mobile until the corps was mustered out.
In 1851 he left Paris for the United States for the



purpose of establishing a branch house of his
brother's business in New York, but the illness
and death of the latter frustrated this plan. Re-
turning to Paris and becoming dissatisfied with
the conditions there, after a few months' stay he
again left for New York. Spending a few years in
the latter city and in Boston and Cincinnati, he
finally settled in Decatur, Illinois, where, in 1859,
he commenced the study of law.

At the outbreak of the late Civil War Mr.
Lieb enlisted as a private in Company B, Eighth
Illinois Infantry, Col. Richard J. Oglesby com-
manding. On the 25th of July, 1861, he was
elected captain of the company. He took part in
the campaigns for the reduction of Forts Donel-
son and Henry, the battle of Shiloh and siege of
Corinth. In 1862 he was promoted to major of
the regiment, which formed part of Gen. John
A. Logan's division, and participated in the
campaign into northern Mississippi, and after-
ward down the Mississippi River. He was one
of the first to respond to the President's proclama-
tion for the organization of colored troops, and
was appointed colonel of the Ninth Louisiana
Colored Volunteer Infantry. While the regi-
ment was being recruited he served on the staff
of Gen. John D. Stevenson, in charge of the skir-
mishers of his brigade, sharing its fortunes in the
battles of Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills,
Big Black Bridge and the assault on Vicksburg.

In June Colonel Lieb returned to his regiment
at Milliken's Bend, and while in command was



576



HERMANN UEB.



attacked by General McCulloch's Texas Rangers,
whom he repulsed with great slaughter. Benson
J. Lossing's "History of the Civil War" con-
tains the following account of this important
engagement, on the right bank of the Mississippi
River, to which Grant attributed the safety
of the supplies of his whole army at Young's
Point:

"Pemberton's only hope for deliverance was in
the ability of Johnston to compel Grant to raise
the siege. He was informed that General Tay-
lor would endeavor, with eight thousand men
from Richmond, Louisiana, to open communica-
tion with him from the west side of the river. Al-
ready Taylor had sent between two and three
thousand troops under Gen. Henry McCulloch
(brother of Ben, killed at Pea Ridge) to strike a
blow. It was leveled at a little force, chiefly of
colored troops, called the African Brigade,
stationed at Milliken's Bend, composed of about
fourteen hundred effective men, of whom all but
one hundred and sixty (of the Twenty-third Iowa)
were negroes. McCulloch's blow fell first on the
Ninth Louisiana, commanded by Col. H. Lieb,
who went out on a reconnoissancefrom Milliken's
Bend toward Richmond on the 6th of June,
preceded by two companies of the Tenth Illinois
Cavalry, Captain Anderson in command. Lieb
went within three miles of Richmond, when
he encountered Taylor's pickets and fell slow-
ly back; it was evident that a heavy force
was in his front. Very soon some of the
cavalry came dashing back, hotly pursued,
when Lieb formed his troops in battle order,
and with one volley dispersed the pursuers. He
continued to fall back slowly, and the Con-
federates in strong numbers, horse and foot, pur-
sued nearly up to the earthwork at the Bend.
It was now night, and the Confederates lay on
their arms, expecting to make an easy conquest of
the Union forces in the morning. The latter were
on the alert, and when, at three o'clock A. M., the
Confederates returned to the assault, with the
cry of 'No quarter,' they were met by a volley
that made them recoil for a moment; but before
the inexperienced blacks could fire more than an-
other volley, they had rushed over the intrench-



ment. Then occurred a most sanguinary hand to
hand fight for several minutes, with bayonets and
clubbed muskets, the colored troops contesting
every inch of ground with the greatest obstinacy
and answering the question, 'Will the negoes
fight ?' with a distinct affirmative. Combatants
were found after the struggle close together,
mutually transfixed, the white and the black
face, the master and slave, close together and
equal in death."

Having received a bullet in his left thigh,
Colonel Lieb went North on a leave of absence.
Upon his return he was ordered by General
Grant to organize a heavy artillery regiment and to
take charge of the defenses of Vicksburg. This
regiment was formed by collecting from the vari-
ous contraband camps sixteen hundred able-
bodied colored men, who were put under Euro-
pean military discipline by Colonel Lieb. A
splendidly drilled regiment was the result. He
also established battalion schools in which these
colored soldiers were taught the elementary
branches of learning, and many of these men
have since occupied important political positions
in the state of Mississippi, thus verifying the
opinion the Colonel always has held that the
army is a civilizer. Colonel Lieb was appointed
brigader-general for meritorious services in the
field in 1865, and was mustered out in 1866, hav-
ing served five years and one month.

Locating permanently in Chicago in 1868, hav-
ing removed his business from Springfield, Illi-
nois (the publication of the Abend Zeitung), the
General plunged into the political campaign of
1869, with his famed reputation for thoroughness
and energy. Since 1869 the General has been
identified with the Democratic party.

In 1873, after being admitted to the practice of
law, General Lieb was elected county clerk of
Cook County, serving four years. At that time
the county clerk was clerk of the County Court,
the Probate Court and clerk of the County Com-
missioners. Until his term of office Cook Coun-
ty had no map of its real estate. He had one
made and perfected which has been of incalculable
value to its owners and dealers in real estate. In
1879 he was appointed by Mayor Harrison su-



S. N. NIELSEN.



577



perintendent of the water department of Chicago,
which office he held for six years. In 18858. Corn-
ing Judd, Postmaster of Chicago, appointed the
General to be superintendent of second class
matter, and latter of the registry department.
In 1889 the General was elected county com-
missioner of Cook County and the next year
re-elected for a second term. He was a strong
advocate of the cottage system for the insane, and
several cottages were constructed during his terms
of service. He also advocated the employment
of the insane in various light manufactories and
on the farm, which employment proved very
beneficial to the health of the patients. Discover-
ing many old soldiers in the poorhouse, a way
was provided for their admittance to various sol-
diers' homes, or they were furnished with em-
ployment in positions which they were found
competent to fill.

In 1895 the General was appointed to the su-
perintendency of Postal Station "A," North Di-
vision of the city of Chicago. He is a member of
the Grand Army of the Republic, the Masonic
order and of Swiss and German benevolent



societies. Though not identified with any re-
ligious body, he is a stanch supporter of good
morals, and attends Unity Church (Unitarian) ,
with which denomination his family is connected.

General Lieb was married in 1869 to Miss
Sarah Hill Stevens, of Somerset County, Maine.
Like her talented husband, Mrs. Lieb is a writer
of recognized worth, and is the author of a
child's history of Michigan, a work of wide pop-
ularity.

Among the best known works of General Lieb
are: "The Protective Tariff," published in 1887,
reaching six editions; "The Foes of the French
Revolution of 1789," published in 1890; and the
"Life of Emperor William I. and the German
People," in 1891. Four sons have been given to
General and Mrs. Lieb, Frederick Carl, Her-
mann, Thomas Jefferson and Francis Keller Lieb.
The eldest died in 1878, and the third in 1892;
both are buried in Rosehill Cemetery. A disin-
terested patriot, a scholarly and benevolent gen-
tleman and a brave soldier, General Lieb's his-
tory offers a most worthy example for the emula-
tion of American youth.



SOREN N. NIELSEN.



(7JOREN N. NIELSEN, born December 16,
?\ 1857, i n Sultuui Vensgssel, Denmark, came
Cy/ to America in 1884, and has been a resident
of Chicago for fifteen years. He is the son of
Nels C. and Johanna Nielsen, and is the third of
a family of five children born to that couple, of
whom three are still living. His father was a
farmer and died in Denmark at the age of seventy-
five years. His mother attained the same ripe
old age and sleeps in the sod of her native laud.
After attending the common schools, young
Soren, at the age of fourteen years, entered upon
a seven years' apprenticeship to the trade of a



stone mason, working at other occupations during
the months when the harsh Danish winter ren-
dered the handling of blocks of stone a physical
impossibility. Having become a journeyman, he
went to Copenhagen and worked at his trade in
that city for four years, and for two years at
other cities. During the winters of these six
years, when comparative idleness was enforced
upon him, he supplemented his early education
by attending college at Copenhagen and Colelde
Moen; his aggregate attendance at these two
institutions being about a year and a-half.
Encouraged by reports from Danish emigrants



578



F. W. HANSEN.



to America, he determined to follow in their foot-
steps, and in the spring of 1884 (as has been
already said) he came to Chicago. For ten years
he worked as a journeyman. At the end of his
first decade of residence he found himself able,
through industry, sobriety and prudent manage-
ment, to engage in business on his own account.
In the conduct of his own affairs he has dis-
played the same qualities, and he is to-day a busy
and prosperous contractor, having erected build-
ings in all parts of the city.

When thirty-four years of age, in 1891, he mar-



ried. He chose for his wife one of his own coun-
trywomen, Christine Jorgensen. Mrs. Nielsen
was born in Denmark June 10, 1861, and came
to Chicago when seventeen years old. Two chil-
dren have been born of the marriage Elker and
Margaret.

Mr. Nielsen is an active and prominent member
of Trinity Lutheran Church, having been for a
time trustee and secretary of that organization.
He also belongs to the Young People's Associa-
tion, and was for several years a member of the
Society Dania.



FREDERICK W. HANSEN.



|~~ REDBRICK WILLIAM HANSEN was
Yy born at Assens Fyen, Denmark, July 3,
I ^ 1865. He is the son of Lars Peter Hansen,
who for a quarter of a century was the only mail
carrier of that place. He died in 1879. Mr.
Hansen' s mother was Catherine, and is still liv-
ing, making her home in Chicago. He is the
second of a family of six children, all of whom
grew to maturity.

Like a majority of the Danish boys of his class
he attended school until he was fourteen years of
age, when he was apprenticed to a trade. The
trade chosen for him was that of a baker, and he
served the required term of five years. The first
three were spent with one Jacob Supply, of
Udby Kro, the last two at Copenhagen, in the
largest confectionery establishment of the Danish
capital. After becoming a journeyman he worked
for various firms, and finally removed to Stav-
anger, Norway. There he remained three years,
having charge of one of the largest confectioneries
in that city. Here, in 1886, he was married, his
bride being a Norwegian maiden, Miss Kitty,
the youngest child of Typograf O. Aadnesen.



Two years later, in 1888, he crossed the water
and came to Chicago. When he reached this
city his cash capital was but thirty-five cents, yet
he possessed what was of far more value health,
strength and pluck. Recognizing that work of
some sort was in immediate and urgent necessity
he secured employment as a laborer. Four
weeks later he found work at his trade. At first
his weekly wage was small, but his skill being
soon recognized he was rapidly promoted until
he became foreman. He filled this position in
several establishments before engaging in busi-
ness for himself, which he did in 1893, at No.
353 Erie Street. Disposing of this place after
eight months he removed to Oak Park, but re-
mained there only a short time. In 1894 ^ e
opened his present bakery at No. 447 West Chi-
cago Avenue. Here he has prospered greatly
and carries on a large and remunerative trade. In
1898 he opened a branch at No. 353 West Erie
Street, the location where he had opened his first
establishment ten years before. He employs
ten bakers and uses four delivery wagons, selling
both at wholesale and retail.



GEORGE SCHROEDER.



579



Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have five children,
Anton, Oluf, Kitty, Lillie and Willie, the eldest
having been born in Norway. Mr. Hansen is a
member of Humboldt Park Council of the Royal
Arcanum, and of the Society Dania. In 1896 he
purchased a summer house at Druces Lake, Illi-
nois, where his family spends the heated term,



and in 1898, the three-story brick building on
Chicago Avenue, where he resides and does busi-
ness. In 1899 Mr. Hansen, his wife and three
of their children, made an extended trip to Eu-
rope, visiting the countries of Norway, Denmark
and Germany, and renewing the associations of
their youth.



GEORGE SCHROEDER.



/JjEORGE SCHROEDER, although a native

bChicagoan, is descended from a well-known
and highly esteemed family of Hesse-Darm-
stadt. His father was John M. Schroeder, and
his mother, Margaret Goetzinger, of Bin gen,
Germany. To this couple were born eleven chil-
dren, five of whom are yet living: Katharine, wife
of A. W. Wendt; George; Louisa, Mrs. Frank
Urson; Lena, who is married to F. W. Englehardt;
and Emma.

The elder Mr. Schroeder, as has been said, was
a native of Hesse-Darmstadt. He received his
early education in the parish school, Lutheran,
of his native place, and later learned the cabinet-
maker's trade. In 1849 he left the Fatherland
for the new world, proceeding at once to Chicago,
after landing on American shores. It was an un-
attractive place in those days, but Mr. Schroeder
was neither repelled nor discouraged. He had
faith in the city's future, and with that resolute
determination which is characteristic of his race
and nation, at once set to work to hew out his
own road to success. For a few years he worked
at his trade, but about 1858 opened a grocery
store and meat market at the intersection of Ash-
land and Austin Avenues. He was the pioneer
in these lines of trade in that section of the city,
and his business prospered. He continued it



until 1871, when he believed he perceived better
prospects in the hotel and saloon-keeping busi-
ness. Accordingly, disposing of his market and
grocery, he opened an establishment of this char-
acter at No. 501 West Chicago Avenue. There
he remained until his death, which occurred
March 20, 1890. His widow still survives him.

John M. Schroeder was a genial, whole-souled
man, fond of social pleasures and readily making
and keeping friends. He was an earnest Repub-
lican in politics and took an active interest in
advancing his party's welfare, yet he never
yearned for office. In social and fraternal or-
ganizations he always felt at home and was both
a Mason (belonging to Mithra Lodge No. 410,
Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons) and an
Odd Fellow, being connected with Goethe Lodge,
No. 329, of that order. Both he and his family
attended the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

George Schroeder, whose name heads the
present sketch, was born at Chicago, March 23,
1859. He was educated in the public schools
and at Bryant & Stratton's Business College,
taking a two years' commercial course in that
institution. On receiving his diploma he entered
the employ of J. S. Kirk & Company, the well-
known soap manufacturers, and has remained
with that concern twenty-five years. Beginning



580



C. W. EISEL.



in an exceedingly subordinate position, he has
gradually worked his way upward in its service
through unflagging industry and unquestionable
fidelity. At present he holds the position of
secretary of the company.

He belongs to Garden City Lodge No. 141,
Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, to the Royal
League, the Royal Arcanum and the North
American Union. On national issues he votes



with the Republican party, but in municipal
elections he rises above mere partisanship.

December 8, 1881, he was married to Miss
Mathilde, daughter of Henry Grusendorf, whose
biography may be found elsewhere in this volume.
She has borne him three children: Edward,
George and Dorothea. Mr. Schroeder and his
family are members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church.



CHRISTIAN W. EISEL.



EHRISTIAN WILLIAM EISEL. Among
the most prominent and energetic citizens of
the city of Chicago who have attained a
comfortable position through their own ability
and industry, many are the sons of good old Ger-
man families. This nation of people is one of
strong characteristics, steadfast minds and sturdy
muscular ability. They are equal to the endur-
ance of more hardships and disappointments than
almost any other on the globe. Christian Will-
iam Eisel was born in Mulhausen, Saxony, Ger-
many, July 26, 1865, a son of Henry August and
Christina Mary (Marshall) Eisel.

Henry A. Eisel, born January 2, 1832, in Ger-
many, died in Chicago September 16, 1890, and
his remains were interred in Oakwoods Cemetery.
He was a brewer, conducting his own establish-
ment in his native land for seven .years. Sub-
sequent to the sale of this property he entered the
German army and fought all through the Franco-
Prussian War. In the spring of the year 1872
he emigrated from his native land, arriving in
America May 4 of the same year. He came to
America on the vessel "Duringer," which was
later sold to the Russian government. He be-
came occupied at his trade and was at the head
of the malters in Seipp's brewery until the time of




Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 88 of 111)