Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 9 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 9 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Wabash Avenue in the spring of 1882. This was
the first house in the locality, and the nearest
house to it at that time was on State Street. The
family is one of the well-known and honored ones
of the community, and each member is a credit
to the neighborhood in which they reside.



HENRY ACKHOFF.



HENRY ACKHOFF, who is now living re-
tired, is a member of a very old and pio-
neer Germany famity. He was born in
Hanover, Germany, November 14, 1830, and is
a son of Claus Eckhoff, which was the original
spelling of the name, but was changed by Isaac
Cook, when he was a member of the legislature.

Claus Eckhoff was twice married, Henry being
of the first family. His mother died when Henry
was a small boy and subsequent to his father's
second marriage, the family, then including three
children, started in June, 1834, from Bremen, in
a sailing ship, and landed in New York in Au-
gust of the same year. The father was a farmer
by occupation and was an old soldier, having
fought in the Battle of Waterloo. Mr. Eckhoff
was possessed of some means and on his arrival
in the United States his objective point was Texas,
but not getting his just dues from land sold in
his native country, he was obliged to locate in
Chicago.

The family spent one year in New York State,
during which time Mr. C. Eckhoff visited
Georgia, remaining there the entire winter. In
the summer of 1835 he went to Pennsylvania,
where he remained one year, and came to Chicago
in 1836. His first work was on the old canal,
and in the summer of 1837 he cut a large quan-
tity of hay for Mr. Gage. He was a few years
superintendent of the Brunster Reservation, and
early in 1844 purchased eighty acres of that land,
which was in Niles Township and was heavily



timbered, and later bought forty acres of prairie
land, now in Jefferson Township, from the gov-
ernment at one dollar and twenty-five cents
per acre. He moved his family to this location
the same year and cleared a fine farm, where he
built a residence and lived the remainder of his
days, dying in 1874, at the age of seventy-nine
years, six mouths and sixteen days. He was a
Democrat previous to 1856, but at the formation
of the Republican party became an upholder of
its principles. His wife survived him until 1893.

The children of Claus Eckhoff were six in
number. John and Henry were the offspring of
the first wife, and the former served until the
close of the Civil War in Company K, Eighty-
ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He is now
deceased. Caroline, wife of C. Seegers; George
J., deceased; Katharine, deceased, and two that
died in infancy were children of his second wife.

Henry Ackhoff enjoyed but limited educational
advantages, having attended a school but about
two months. Since the extremely youthful age
of eight years he has been self-sustaining. While
he was at home, on winter evenings, a Mr.
Bartlett, an instructor, taught him the rudiments
of an education and whatever else he learned he
got by untiring devotion to books without the
aid of anyone. He is in the truest sense of the
expression a "self-made man." While still a
small boy he worked for Mr. Cook and until the
age of twenty, subsequent to this time, he worked
for his father. At the age of twenty he paid one



NICHOLAS SCHNITZIUS.



61



hundred fifty dollars for the privilege of embark-
ing on the sea of life for his own interests. He
immediately engaged in the enterprise of buying
and selling wood, produce and grain of all kinds,
and was very successful. He had much talent
for business and was a natural trader.

At the age of twenty-two years he engaged as
fireman on the Chicago & North-western Rail-
way, the Galena division. In 1855, having ac-
quired some knowledge of the carpenter's trade,
he began contracting for building and erected a
residence on Halsted Street, where he conducted
a boarding house. This was a success financially
and he began investing in real estate, but the
crash of 1857 nearly ruined him. In 1861 he
started a catering establishment at the corner of
Halsted Street and Milwaukee Avenue. In
1862 he purchased land at Nos. 208 and 210
North Halsted Street and erected a double house
for a tenement. In 1865 he started a grocery
store at the northwest corner of Halsted Street
and Milwaukee Avenue, which he conducted
profitably several years. He sold out in 1880
and retired from business.

Mr. Ackhoff has been engaged in political
matters to some extent. In 1866 he was elected
alderman for the Eleventh Ward, now the
Seventeenth Ward. In 1869-70 he was super-
visor for the town of West Chicago, and from



1885 to 1889 was superintendent of the North-
west Postal Station, during the first administra-
tion of President Cleveland. His first presidential
vote was cast in favor of Franklin Pierce, and he
supported the candidates of the Democratic party
up to the time of the election of President Mc-
Kinley. In local politics Mr. Ackhoff does not
strictly adhere to any party, but casts his vote for
the man who, according to his opinion, is best
fitted to serve the people. He has always taken
a commendable interest in the affairs of the
country and his home city.

Mr. Ackhoff is a member of Stephen A. Doug-
lass Council No. 66, National Union, and Fort
Dearborn Lodge No. 214, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows.

In 1852 he married Mary Seegert, a native of
Germany. Of the six children born to Mr. and
Mrs. Ackhoff two are deceased. Those still in
the land of the living are: Henry W., Louise,
Mary and Charles F. The mother died in 1872.
Mr. Ackhoff is a man of strong convictions, and
on all occasions has the courage of his convic-
tions. He is as fearless in his advocacy of right
as he is in his denunciation of wrong. In his
dealings he is strictly honorable and in the
legitimate channels of trade has won success, and
is spending the evening of his life in the enjoy-
ment of a handsome competence.



NICHOLAS SCHNITZIUS.



lOlCHOLAS SCHNITZIUS is a very old set-
Py tier of Chicago and has been engaged in the
I Is cooperage business several years. He was
born in Mosal, Prussia, September 19, 1833, an< ^
is a son of Mathias and Katherine Schnitzius,
both of whom died in their native land, she in
1842 and he in 1893. Mathias Schnitzius was
nearly ninety years of age at the time of his de-
cease. Nicholas Schnitzius came of a very old



German stock, his ancestors having been German
as far back as is traced to-day.

He was educated in the schools of his native
town and assisted his father in the cultivation of
the farm and growing grapes and making wine.
He was thus occupied until he reached the age of
eighteen years, when he began to learn the trade
of a cooper, serving an apprenticeship of three
years. In the fall of the year 1854 he left the



62



J. S. SYMONS.



Fatherland and embarked from Antwerp in a
sailing vessel bound for New York. After ten
weeks spent on the ocean he was landed and went
directly to Ontario, Canada, arriving at the sus-
pension bridge on Christmas day.

For five months he worked at his chosen trade
in the village of Chippewa, which is five miles
from Niagara Falls. From this locality he re-
moved to Merrittsville, where he remained two
years. In August of the year 1857 he came
west to Chicago and worked two years for a
brick mason, for the small salary of seventy-five
cents per day. He went to Evansville, Indiana,
and worked in that town two years, after which
period he returned to Chicago. At this time the
West Side was being built up to some extent and
for some years he was employed to work in that
section of the city. In 1881, however, he estab-
lished a business for himself on Burling Street,
and two years later purchased property at Nos.
803 and 805 North Halsted Street, and built a



shop for his own use. At this place he carried
on a profitable business and it is still increasing.

Mr. Schnitzius has visited his native land three
times, once in 1871, again in 1872, and returned
there in 1893, when his father died. He is still
in possession of the old homestead in the Father-
land. He is a sympathizer with the principles of
the Democratic party but has never sought favor
from the public in the form of an office.

August 28, 1858, he was married to Miss
Angeline Klein, a native of the same town as
himself, in Germany. Of the four children born
to Mr. and Mrs. Schnitzius but two are still in
the land of the living, Martin and Fritz. The
latter is a druggist in Austin, Illinois. Mr.
Schnitzius is a highly respected and valuable
member of the Roman Catholic Church. He
was a comparatively poor man when he came to
America and deserves much credit for his perse-
verance and success, which came to him entirely
through his own efforts.



JAMES S. SYMONS.



(I AMES STORMS SYMONS. Among the
I most enterprising and energetic of the busi-
O ness men of the city of Chicago, and one of
the most prominent citizens of Brookline.is James
Storms Symons. He was born January 17,1860,
in L,ockport, Illinois, and is a son of Alexander
Symons. For further mention of his ancestors
see biography of Alexander Symons in this work.
J. S. Symons attended school in Woodlawn and
also at the Cornell School, but left school at the
age of fifteen years to enter the world of experi-
ence and labor. He began to learn the trade of
painting with John L. Storms, and after five
years with him entered the Wilson Sewing Ma-
chine factory at Grand Grossing. He occupied
a position in the ornamenting room one year,
and was two years in the trimming room. He



was subsequently employed by different people
at painting, and was three years with the Michi-
gan Central Railroad Company, doing special
painting. He spent some time working as jour-
neyman, and then began to contract for his own
interests and is thus employed at the present time,
being associated with J. B. Storms. His work
has always given complete satisfaction, and he is
looked upon by all as an honest, upright man in
all matters pertaining to business or social prin-
ciples.

On May 2, 1889, Mr. Symons was married to
Helen R. Whiles, a daughter of Edward Winles,
the latter being a native of New York state. Mr.
Symons is not an active politician, but upholds
the Republican party at every favorable op-
portunity.



LIBRARY

OF THE

.'IVERSITY OF ILLIN




JACOB GROSS



JACOB GROSS.



JACOB GROSS.



/1ACOB GROSS, who lives in retirement, in
I his pleasant and luxurious home at No.
@) 1730 Deming Place, has resided in Chicago
since 1855. He was at one time connected with
one of the largest banking and real-estate firms
in the city of Chicago, and in the faithful per-
formance of all duties or trusts imposed upon him
and the life of industry which he has led, has justly
earned all his honors. Whether as a brave soldier
or an able, ambitious, public servant, he has ever
shown himself a gentleman and that fact has thor-
oughly established him in the hearts of the people.
Jacob Gross was born February n, 1840, in
Jacobsweiler, Rhenish Bavaria, Germany, and is
a son of Henry and Barbara (Lotz) Gross.
Henry Gross was a tiller of the soil, and died
when Jacob was but thirteen years old. He and
his good wife had four children, namely: Kath-
arine (now deceased) ; Gertrude, now Mrs. Adam
Miller, Henry and Jacob, of this article. The
mother died in Richton, Cook County, Illinois, in
1860. In May, 1855, Mrs. Gross with her four
children sailed from Havre, in the sailing ship
"Elizabeth," and twenty-eight days later landed
in New York. They came directly to Chicago,
arriving July i .

Jacob Gross was well educated in the parish
school of his native place and after coming to
Chicago attended Brown's School, on the West
Side, and passed a credible examination for the
high school; but did not enter. He learned the
trade of tin-smith, at which he served a reg-
ular apprenticeship, and afterwards worked six



months as journeyman. He then went to Rich-
land and was clerk in the store of his brother-in-
law until the Civil War broke out. In August,
1862, he enlisted for service in the Union Army,
joining Company B, Eighty-second Illinois Volun-
teer Infantry. He served continuously, partici-
pating in many of the hardest -fought battles of
the war, until May 25, 1864, when he was
severely wounded, at the battle of New Hope
Church, Georgia, by a rifle ball, which so shat-
tered the bones of his right leg that amputation
became necessary. He lay in a hospital in Chat-
tanooga until February, 1865, when he was
honorably discharged in Chicago, February 14,
1865. In 1866 he was appointed deputy police
clerk and served two years, and was elected
West Town collector for three terms. He was
then elected in 1872 clerk of the circuit court,
and was twice re-elected and served until 1884,
when he was elected state treasurer and served
one term of two years. He has always been a
Republican and has attended state conventions
and other gatherings since he became a citizen.
In 1883 he became a member of the banking
firm of Felsenthal, Gross & Miller, which was
made a state bank in 1891. After serving as
state treasurer he became actively engaged in the
bank and was vice-president until 1896, when,
owing to failing health, he resigned and has
since lived in retirement. Mr. Gross is a mem-
ber of Lessig Lodge No. 557, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons, also Columbia Post No. 708,
Grand Army of the Republic.



SARGENT FIELD.



October 20, 1870, he married Miss Emma
Schade, a native of New York, but of German
parentage. They became the parents of three
children, namely: Mamie, now Mrs. William



Falk, William H. and Flora. The family is con-
nected with St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran
Church, among the congregation of which each
one is highly honored.



SARGENT FIELD.



(ej ARGENT FIELD. Among the foremost of
7\ the citizens of our United States are those
Vi/ men who can relate a history reaching back
to the time that their ancestors were among the
early settlers of the colonies. They inherit stur-
diness, ambition and love of country in almost
every case. In removing westward in the early
days of the western part of the country, they fur-
ther proved their interest in the welfare and growth
of the nation. Sargent Field could boast a lineage
of which any man might be proud. From the
fact that his father was born in the town of Sur-
rey, New Hampshire, in 1765, is shown that his
people were among the early pioneers of the col-
onies.

Sargent Field was born June 25, 1802, in
Peacham, Vermont, a son of Nathan and Hepzi-
bah Field. His father removed to Peacham in
1788, and in 1794 became an active and valuable
member of the Congregational Church in that
section, with which body he was connected until
his death. Nathan Field was a sincere Christian
and endeavored to rear his children in the paths
of right. His children were: Sargent; Ann
Eliza, who married Milo Lodgett; Charles and
Nathan, who lived in Neponset, Illinois. His wife
died August 16, 1857, aged eighty years, and was
buried in Hardwick. November 10, 1859, his own
death followed, after he had reached the remark-
able age of ninety-four years and three months.

In 1856 Sargent Field, with his family, moved
westward, remaining a short time in Chicago,
but settling in Ashkum, Illinois. He conducted



a hotel in this town for one year, and subsequent-
ly became a tiller of the soil near that town, and
continued in this occupation until 1862, when he
removed to Grand Crossing. He traded his farm
to Paul Cornell for an acre and one-half of land
lying between Cottage Grove and Drexel Ave-
nues and making the southeast corner of Cottage
Grove Avenue and Seventy -third Street. Mr.
Cornell had removed a house from the corner of
Sixtieth Street to this location, and a part of the
house is still standing. This was the first resi-
dence in this section.

Mr. Field was married May 14, 1829, in Hard-
wick, Vermont, to Sarah Bailey, daughter of
John and Abigail (Bailey) Cobb. She was born
February 4, 1809, in Hardwick, and died Octo-
ber 28, 1863, and was buried in Rosehill Cem-
etery. The children of John Cobb were as fol-
lows: Florilla, who married Paris Coates; Sarah,
Mrs. Field; and Abigail, who married Charles
Field. Florilla removed westward and lived in
Chicago, and her son, Calvin Coates, is still in
the city.

Mr. and Mrs. Sargent Field were the parents
of five children: Charles Porter, the eldest, born
April 21, 1831, married Miss Charity Elizabeth
Hudson, and removed west three years before
his father. He located in Chicago, but returned
east and settled in Brooklyn in 1864. He had
no children and died September 12, 1879, and
was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn,
New York. Orville Jenson Field, the second
child of the man whose name heads this article,



CAPT. J. MACAULEY.



was born May 21, 1834, and married Cecelia Em-
eline Orcutt. He settled in Chicago in 1863,
died March 29, 1889, and his remains were interred
in Oakwood Cemetery. His children are as fol-
lows: William, who is in Chicago; Sarah Elvi-
rah, Mabel and Louisa.

John Cobb Field, born May 26, 1839, married
Sarah McCombie and came to Chicago with his
father, Sargent Field. He removed to Kansas
in 1871, returned to Chicago in 1893, and died
March 2, 1894. His children are: Frederick,
William and Minnie Estelle. Sarah Aurora
Field was born January 7, 1842, in Peacham,
Vermont, and was married November 3, 1864, to
Charles Augustus Boughton. He was a son of
William Boughton, of New Jersey, and was born
July 13, 1841. The children of Mr. and Mrs. C.
A. Boughton were named as follows: Anna
Luella, Charles Herbert, Eugene, Helen Eliza,



Edna Aurora, who died at the age of four months;
and Clifford LeRoy. Alvah Eugene Field was
born November 6, 1849, and January 13, 1873,
was married to Isabella Storms. The children
of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Field were: Arthur Sar-
gent, Esther Aurora, Isabella Irene and Lily. Of
these, the son, Arthur, is the only one living.
A. E. Field is the proprietor of a grocery store at
the corner of Seventy-third Street and Cottage
Grove Avenue.

Sargent Field was a man of noble and refined
character and was an influential and valued mem-
ber of the Presbyterian Church. He was a strict
upholder of the principles and interests of the
Republican party and for eight years held the
office of sheriff of Caledonia County, Vermont.
He died July n, 1863, and was buried in Rose-
hill Cemetery. His loss was mourned by his
many friends and relatives.



CAPT. JOHN MACAULEY.






EAPT. JOHN MACAULEY was born July
13, 1829, at Rathfriland, County Down, Ire-
land, and was the second son of John Mac-
auley, a carpenter and resident of [that town.
His mother was Elizabeth, daughter of Patrick
Brigharu, a resident of Rathfriland, of Scottish
ancestry.

John Macauley, senior, became convinced that
the Western Hemisphere offered better induce-
ments to industry than his native land, and in
1847 he came with his family to the United
States, landing in New York May 22. He re-
mained in that city until 1853, when he removed
to Chicago, where both he and his wife died in
1860, the former surviving the latter only one
day. One funeral served for both, and both were
interred in the same grave at Graceland Ceme-
tery. Each had attained the age of seventy-six



years. They were the parents of three sons and
three daughters, namely: Mary Ann, Susannah,
Margaret, George, John and William.

John Macauley, in common with his brothers
and sisters, was educated in private schools in his
native town, and he acquired the trade pursued
by his father. This trade afforded him occupa-
tion and a livelihood until the year 1858, when
he was appointed a detective on the police force
of the city of Chicago. He continued in this serv-
ice twenty years, with the exception of a short
period during the Civil War, when he was em-
ployed in the secret service of the United States
government in the south. In this arduous serv-
ice he had many narrow escapes. On one occa-
sion, while in pursuit of his duty in Kentucky,
he was pursued by several mounted men and was
shot at seven times, one bullet tearing a hole



66



AUGUSTUS BAUER.



through his saddle. In 1878 he resigned from
che police force and lived a life of quiet retire-
ment until his demise, which occurred February
10, 1898. His body was deposited in Graceland
Cemetery with Masonic honors. Rev. J. A. Rond-
thaler, assisted by Rev. Dr. John Rusk, officiated
at the funeral.

Mr. Macauley was made a Mason in 1863, in
Kilwinnig Lodge No. 311, Chicago, and sub-
sequently became a life member of that body.
He was among the faithful members of the Ful-
lerton Avenue Presbyterian Church and acted in
political matters with the Republican party. He
was a great lover of rifle shooting and was cap-
tain of the Englewood and Lake View Rifle
Clubs. Among his trophies were three gold
medals, won in contests in marksmanship. In
disposition, Mr. Macauley was very generous
and he died as did the father of the Scottish bard,
"owing no man a penny."

He was married on Wednesday, June 22, 1859,
to Miss Emily A. Shrigley, in Chicago. Mrs.
Macauley is a daughter of John and Emily
(Knight) Shrigley. John Shrigley was an Eng-



lishman by birth, and came to America in his
youth, locating in Chicago in 1832. One year
later he was followed by his wife and five chil-
dren, whom he had left in Vermont, where he
was married. In the early history of Cook
County he served as its sheriff and was keeper
of the county jail. He died August 15, 1853,
and his remains were buried in Graceland Ceme-
tery. He was born November 22, 1802, in the
parish of Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England. His
wife, Emily Adaline Knight, was born May 7,
1801, in Dumuierston, Windham County, Ver-
mont, and was a daughter of Jonathan Knight, a
paper and woolen manufacturer of Dummerston.
Her mother, Emma Perry, was a relative of the
famous commodore, whose exploits on the inland
lakes won a proud portion of American history.
Mr. and Mrs. Macauley were the parents of
three children: Rollin Parker, Emily Adaline
and Harriet Mae. The son married Miss May
Bullard, of Sterling, Illinois. They have three
beautiful boys, John Chester, Julian Mannington
and Kenneth Rich. Emily A. Macauley became
the wife of Elmer Hill, of Chicago.



AUGUSTUS BAUER.



GJUGUSTUS BAUER, an early resident of
I I Chicago who was many years conspicuous
/ I in the business and social life of the city,
was a native of Germany and received the
thorough business training which is vouchsafed
to every artisan in that country. He was born
June 16, 1827, in Offenbach, near the capital
city of Frankfort, and was a son of Jacob Bauer.
The father being a teacher, young Bauer had
especially advantageous opportunities for obtain-
ing an education, opportunities which he im-
proved to the utmost, being industrious and apt
as a student. After completing his school course,



he took up the study of architecture under a
skillful tutor at Darmstadt, Germany, and became
an adept in planning and conducting building
operations.

Like many other ambitious citizens of his
country, he turned his eyes toward the setting
sun, in the hope of finding better opportunities
for advancement than were afforded by the
crowded condition of all lines of effort in the
Old World. About 1852 he arrived in America,
and spent two years in New York City. Here
he shortly found employment in his profession,
and was occupied in planning and directing the



W. H. CARMAN.



67



erection of the dome upon the famous Crystal
Palace of that city, in which the first World's
Fair was held.

Again he moved westward, and arrived at
Chicago in 1854, and here the balance of his life
was spent. Shortly after his arrival he formed a
partnership with Thomas B. Carter, a connection
which continued for a period of twelve years.
From 1867 to 1874 he was associated with Mr.
Loebnitz. He was a heavy loser by the great
fire of 1871, being extensively interested in local
insurance companies, which were ruined by that
catastrophe. He continued the industry which
characterized his youth throughout his life, and
executed many important labors in the city
which was honored in being his home, ceasing
only when his life terminated, February 8, 1894.
The vault in the old Fidelity Building, which
was constructed under his direction, withstood
the terrible ordeal of the great fire and preserved
the valuable papers it contained, a remarkable
circumstance amidst the universal ruin of that



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 9 of 111)