John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 90 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 90 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

York, on the steamer "Germania," serving as
quartermaster, or wheelsman. He next shipped
(again as wheelsman) on the "Key West," a
steamer plying between New York and the
Florida port of that name. The "Key Kest"
was an American vessel, and her cargoes con-
sisted largely of cotton. His next voyage was
between New York and Santos, Brazil, in the

5 88


capacity of second mate of the "P. C. War-
wick," a sailing vessel engaged in the coffee
carrying trade.

In 1866 he went from New York to Buffalo,
and from there he came to Chicago, where he
secured work as a sail-maker in a loft on South
Water Street, owned by George Foster. But his
old love for the water once more asserted itself,
and in August of that year he shipped aboard a
lake vessel as a common sailor. He sailed the
lakes for nine seasons, during four of which he
served as mate on different vessels. Through
the part of the year when navigation was closed,
he drove teams, although one year he visited the
land of his birth, where lay the hallowed graves
of his parents.

In 1875 he purchased a horse and wagon and
embarked in the express business. Eleven years
later (1886) he bought the premises at No. 279

West Ohio Street, where he now resides. Here,
in addition to his express, he conducts a flourish-
ing trade in coal and wood.

Mr. Jenson's success has been due solely to his
own efforts. Coming to Chicago absolutely with-
out means, he has won success without other aid
than that given by industry, perseverance and

In 1876 he was married to Miss Christine E.
Guldbrandsen, a native of Norway, but who has
been a resident of Chicago since early youth.
Six children were born of this union, of whom
three Walter, Howard and James survive, and
are still at home.

Mr. Jenson was a member of Scandinavian
Lodge, Knights of Honor, for eighteen years, and
is a prominent and active member of the First
Norwegian Methodist Church, of which body he
is one of the trustees.


|"~REDERICK KOSCHE. For nearly half a
rft century has Frederick Kosche, now a hale
| * old gentleman of seventy-four years, resided
in the city of Chicago, where he has many friends,
besides securing a comfortable competence and
earning an unsullied reputation. He was born
at Breslau, Prussia, April 15, 1825, and comes of
a prominent family. His father was Christian
Kosche; and his mother's maiden name was
Louise Penning. He was but six months old
when his mother was left a widow. Of her ten
children he was the youngest and the only one to
leave the land of his birth.

Until the age of fourteen years he attended the
parochial school, and was then apprenticed for
three years to learn the trade of a tailor. After
becoming a journeyman he traveled, working in
various cities, until he was twenty-six years of

age, when he entered the Prussian army. After
nearly three years spent in military service he
determined to bid adieu to the Fatherland and
seek a new home beyond the sea. Accordingly,
in 1852, he took passage on a sailing vessel at
Bremen, bound for New York, disembarking on
American soil after a remarkably stormy and
tedious voyage of nearly three months.

Coming at once to Chicago, where he arrived
in September, he found employment at his trade
without remaining idle long. After four years
of industry and frugality he had saved enough
capital to enable him to embark in business as a
grocer, which he did, on Clybourn Avenue, near
Larrabee Street. There the same energy and
integrity which have ever been among his leading
characteristics, soon secured for him a prosperous
and constantly increasing trade, and after several



years of close attention to business he disposed of
the establishment to his sons. Since then he has
led a life of retirement at his pleasant home, No.
607 Orchard Street.

He was married to Miss Julia Baumann, a na-
tive of Baden, Germany, May i, 1854. Nine
children have been the fruit of the union, named
as follows: Caroline, now Mrs. John Debos; Oscar,
a broker; Ernst, a grocer; Augustus, now Mrs.
Schimberg; Mary, wife of William Hanshaw;
Amelia, Mrs. Thomas Furlong; Frederick, a
grocer; Theresa, Mrs. George Shad, of Rochester,
New York; and Charles, a grocer on Sedgwick
Street. Most members of the family attend St.
Michael's Catholic Church.

Mrs. Kosche is a daughter of Franz Baumann

and Abalone Schwartz, who came to America
with their family in 1846, settling near Niles
Center. Mr. Baumanu died in Chicago in 1894,
and the mother of Mrs. Kosche died of cholera,
about 1849. Of their family, Theresa is the wife
of Michael Lochner, of Morton Grove; Christian
and Anton live in Niles, and Ferdinand lives in
Decatur, Illinois.

Mr. Kosche has always taken a deep interest
in political questions touching the welfare of his
adopted country and the city of his home. He
has never, however, been an active politician, and
while affiliating with the Democratic party in
national issues, in questions affecting municipal
government has always held the interests of the
city above partisanship.


(JAMES GRENNAN, who comes of one of the
I oldest and most highly respected families of
Q*/ the Emerald Isle, is a valued and worthy citi-
zen of Chicago. He first opened his eyes on the
misfortunes and mysteries of this world February
9, 1829, in Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland. His
parents were John and Nancy (Perry) Grennan,
he being named for his grandfather, James Gren-
nan, who married twice. His second wife was
Miss Frances Morrison, and her children were:
James and Nancy. The maternal grandfather of
the man whose name heads this article was John
Perry, and by his first wife he became the father
of James, William, Andrew and Nancy. His
second wife's children were named John, Samuel
and Jane. He was a weaver as well as a tiller of
the soil.

John Grennan was a worthy son of his father,
and followed the occupation of weaver in his na-
tive land. His children are as follows: Nancy,
born February 8, 1831; James, whose name heads

this article; Elizabeth, who is married and resides
in New Richmond, Ohio; Fannie, who married
Patrick Mooney, and is the mother of one child,
William; John, who resides in Chicago; and
William, of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

James Grennan came to America in 1862 and
settled in London, Canada. In June, 1865, he
removed to Chicago and was a sailor for a short
time. He was employed in the lumber yard of
F. B. Gardner for six months, and subsequently
for three years was with the Wilmington Coal
Company. He then purchased a team, and since
that time has been occupied with teaming. Be-
ing of an economical and ambitious nature, Mr.
Grennan succeeded so well that in 1868 he was
enabled to build a residence for himself and fam-
ily, where he has since been located, at No. 1617
Armour Avenue.

Nothing is more conducive to the success of a
worthy man than a pleasant, congenial and eco-
nomical life partner. Mr. Grennan was success-



ful in obtaining for a wife one of the most worthy
and sympathetic of women, and his domestic life
has been one long period of peace and harmony.
January 2, 1865, he was united to Miss Mary
Jane McCrink, daughter of Frank and Bethie
(Chestnut) McCrink. Mrs. Grennan was born
in Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland. Her chil-

dren were two in number. Elizabeth married
E. J. Mulholland, of whom extended mention
appears on another page of this work. James,
born December 21, 1869, died when twenty-
eight years of age, December 26, 1897, mourned
greatly by his relatives as well as by his hosts of



1 1 for eighteen years been one of the valued
U employes of the Chicago City Railway Com-
pany, was born August 6, 1857, on Mohawk
Street, near North Avenue, Chicago, and is a
loyal and highly esteemed citizen. His parents
were Stephen and Ann (Tyrell) Grady, and his
grandfather, Thomas Grady, died in 1856, at the
age of seventy years. The last-named emigrated
from his native land after his wife's death, with
the following children : Thomas, Michael, Will-
iam, John, Martin, Stephen and Mary.

Stephen Grady, father of the man whose name
heads this article, was born in Kings County,
Ireland, and died in 1870, at the age of thirty-
six years. His remains were interred in Calvary
Cemetery, Chicago. He was a railroad clerk,
being at one time employed by the Michigan
Central Railroad Company, and later was with
the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad
Company. Stephen Grady was married October
25, 1852, to Miss Ann Tyrell, who died Novem-
ber 5, 1876, at the age of forty-two years. She
was born in West Meath, Ireland.

Mr. and Mrs. Grady were the parents of the
following children: Charles William, Ann Eliza,
Sarah (who married Michael Cole, and resides in
Chicago) , and eight others who died when very
young. Ann Eliza married John Renan.

Charles W. Grady attended the Newberry pub-

lic school until he was twelve years of age, when
he entered a grocery store. He was four years
in his father's store, at No. 188 Dearborn Street,
and subsequently was employed by Ed Quinlan,
at the corner of Eighteenth and State Streets,
five years. Since that time he has been em-
ployed in the train department, as clerk, at the
Chicago City Railway Company's offices.

Mr. Grady married Miss Mary Martha, daugh-
ter of John Martin, June 27, 1888. Mrs. Grady
was born in Kings County, Ireland, and came to
America September 5, 1865. The children of
Mr. and Mrs. Grady are as follows: Stephen,
born May 26, 1889, died January 18, 1896; Es-
tella Virginia, born October 29, 1890; Ruth Irene,
born March 8, 1891, died at the age of six weeks;
Mary, born February 29, 1892, died while still
an infant; and Edna Marie, born September 20,

Mr. Grady is a very energetic, economical and
ambitious man, and has been able to erect a resi-
dence for the accommodation of himself and fam-
ily at No. 6620 Jackson Avenue, which is a very
comfortable house and was the first in the near
vicinity. He has never sought public favor in
the form of office, but adheres to the principles
of the Democratic party, giving them substan-
tial support in the form of vote. He is a mem-
ber of the Roman Catholic Church of the Holy





(From Photo by W. J. ROOT.)



Gl DOLPH METZGER is one of the prominent
LJ German-American citizens of Chicago, where
/ I he has resided for forty-seven years, and in
whose welfare he has always taken a lively in-
terest. He was born in Langen, Hesse-Darm-
stadt, Germany, March 3, 1832, and having
been left an orphan at the age of seven years, he
was reared by an uncle. Upon leaving school
at the age of fourteen years, he served an ap-
prenticeship of three years to the butcher's trade
at Frankfort, and subsequently worked as a jour-
neyman in that city until 1852, when he resolved
to follow the example of an elder brother, Will-
iam, and emigrate to America.

Accordingly, October 18 of that year, he set
forth on what was destined to prove a far more
eventful journey than he anticipated. He pro-
ceeded from Frankfort to Rotterdam, and thence
to Hull and Liverpool, England. At the last-
named point he took passage for New York on
the sailing-vessel "St. George." The comple-
ment of passengers was one hundred and twenty-
two, of whom six were Germans and the re-
mainder Irish. When thirty-two days out from
shore the ship caught fire. The captain and
crew promptly deserted her, taking life boats
and leaving the unfortunate passengers to their
fate. They afterwards sent the boats back by
some negro sailors from a vessel near by. About
fifty of those on board the doomed craft were
rescued, the remainder perishing miserably. The

vessel to which those saved were thus transferred
landed them January 14, 1853, at Havre, France,
where they were forced to remain four weeks.

Mr. Metzger lost his all, and had it not been
for the kindness of the German Consul and the
German Society his condition would have been
yet more deplorable. They took their country-
men in charge, and sent them on to New York
by the vessel "William Tell," Mr. Metzger
first pressing foot on American soil March 3,
1853, the twenty-first anniversary of his birth.
From New York he went to Buffalo, and after
working there about a month, proceeded to Chi-
cago, where his brother, William, kept a meat
market. Adolph entered his brother's employ
and remained with him nearly five years.

In 1858 he went into business for himself, and
opened a shop at the corner of Canal and Cath-
erine Streets. Two years later his imagination
became inflamed through tales of remarkable
gold discoveries in the country around Pike's
Peak, and he went there to seek the precious
metal. For a few months he kept a meat market
in Denver, but after nine months' absence he
found himself back in Chicago. He then formed
a partnership with his brother, William, under
the style of Metzger Brothers. They carried on
business at William's former location until 1863,
when the firm was dissolved, and Adolph put up
a building on the corner of Halsted and Henry
Streets. Here he began business for himself for



the second time in Chicago, and the venture
proved successful from the start. He was burned
out September 17, 1873, but immediately rebuilt
and resumed business and continued until 1883,
when he retired.

It is not easy to speak too highly of the energy
and tenacity of purpose of such men as Adolph
Metzger. Left an orphan at a tender age, and
thrown wholly on his own resources at seventeen
years, he has made his own way, and his sur-
prising success is due to his own efforts. When
he landed in New York his sole worldly posses-
sions were ten dollars given him by the German
Society of Havre, and a five-franc piece pre-
sented him from a friend. From this small be-

ginning, through industry, sobriety and thrift,
he has accumulated a handsome fortune.

At one time he took an active interest in
politics, as an independent. In 1871 he was
candidate for alderman from the tenth ward, but
the great fire prevented the holding of an election.

He was married in 1857, to Miss Mary Meyer,
a native of Switzerland, by whom he was the fa-
ther of eight children, only two of whom are liv-
ing, Mary (Mrs. Herman Eckstard) and Kath-
arine, now Mrs. Charles Lodding. Mr. Metzger
subsequently married Mrs. Anna Ziegler, widow
of John Ziegler, who has two sons, John and
Louis Ziegler. The family is connected with the
Lutheran communion.



1 1 ened his eyes upon the farm lying in sec-
\J tion 14, of Addison Township, DuPage
County, September 28, 1852. His father was
Johann Heinrich Franzen and his mother's maid-
en name was Katharine Deters. The elder
Franzen was born October i, 1813, at Schale,
Prussia. He emigrated in 1834, arriving June
27 at Baltimore, with his family, and finally made
his home in Addison Township, where he located
in 1835, and at one time he owned three hundred
and forty acres of land. He was a farmer all his
life, with the exception of his first year in Amer-
ica, when he lived in Chicago. He established
the first linseed oil mill in DuPage County and
probably in Northern Illinois. This was suc-
cessfully operated by him about thirty years,
until Chicago competition rendered it unprofit-
able. His second wife, the mother of Charles
August, was a native of the same place as him-
self, and was born September 14, 1824. She was
married to Mr. Franzen in October, 1844, and
bore her husband ten children, as follows: Bar-

ney L-, born October 2, 1845, a farmer living
one-half mile northwest of Bensenville, 111.; Car-
oline, born August n, 1847, married J. H.
Schutte, of Pingree Grove, Illinois; Emma Cath-
erine, born April 6, 1849, and became the wife
of Rev. G. Koch, living at Beecher, in this state;
Henry F. D., born March 3, 1851, died August
14, following; Charles August is next; John
Henry, born February 27, 1855, and died March
7, 1880; Dorothea, born January 25, 1857, widow
of Frank Ort, of Bensenville; Gustav, born De-
cember 14, 1858, and died September 10, 1860;
William F. , born March 18, 1861, now on the
old homestead; and Herman H., born September
3, 1868, residing at Ithaca, Illinois, four miles
west of the family's original home.

The father of Johann Heinrich, and grand-
father of Charles August Franzen, was Herman
Bernhardt Henry Franzen, a native of Prussia,
where he was born October 14, 1772. He was
the husband of Fenne Adelheit Elfring, who was
born in Germany, March 18, 1781. The issue of
this marriage was as follows: Anna Katharine



Maria, born August 10, 1810, and married to
Carl Schwerdtfeger, and whose son, Henry, is a
teamster in the West Division, Chicago; Johann
Heinrich, the father of Charles August; Anna
Gasina, born February 29, 1816, afterward Mrs.
Dietrich Fischer, and whose son, W. H. Fischer,
is an attorney located at Room 510, 84 I/aSalle
Street, Chicago, with a home at Wheaton; Jo-
hann Bernhardt, born December 3, 1818, and
whose biographical sketch appears elsewhere;
and Gerhardt Heinrich, born January 7, 1823,
residing on section n, Leyden Township.

Charles A. Franzen was educated in the coun-
try schools and studied book-keeping for six
months at Bryant & Stratton's Business College,
in 1869. He remained on the farm until he was
twenty-two years old, when his father started his
present business. For about eighteen months
Charles August conducted it as his father's rep-
resentative, and since 1875 has had entire con-
trol of it. He deals in lumber, coal, feed, flour,
seeds and kindred articles.

May 14, 1875, he married Mary Heuer, who
was born in Cook County, September 5, 1855.
Mr. and Mrs. Franzen have been blessed with
eleven children, as follows: Frederick Henry,
who was born August 4, 1876, and lived but a
single day; George Edward, born August 10,
1877; Ida Katharine Amalia, October 28, 1879;
Reine Sophia Emma, January 16, 1882; Albert
William, September 29, 1883; Walter Herman,
October 23, 1885, deceased; Edna Dorothea Car-
oline, November 17, 1887; Hulda Emma, Au-
gust 7, 1890; Erwin Henry, February 8, 1893;
Gilbert Henry, January 3, 1895; and Oscar
Henry, June 15, 1897. The family belongs to
the German Emanuel United Lutheran and Re-
formed Church.

Mr. Franzen is a Republican in politics and is
held in high esteem among his fellow-citizens,
who have testified their appreciation of his worth
by electing him, at various times, village trustee
and school director, holding the last named posi-
tion thirteen years.


I cage's gallant fire fighters at present living
C/ have a record for so many years of continu-
ous service as Captain John Godfrey Carlson of
Engine Company No. 83.

His experience as a fireman dates back to 1857,
when he joined the old Volunteer Fire Company,
with which he was connected two years, when he
quit the service, but only to re-enter it in 1862,
becoming a member of Engine Company No. i ,
commonly known as the " Long John " Company.
For several years he served as pipeman, and was
afterward transferred to Engine Company No. 4,
and promoted to captain of that company in 1871,
previous to the Great Fire. During that holo-

caust he did heroic service in the face of unprece-
dented danger, and despite unparalleled fatigue,
having been on duty uninterruptedly from the
hour of being called out until Tuesday forenoon,
and a circumstance which added not a little, to
the men's fatigue was the fact that the}' had been
at a fire on the Saturday and Sunday before,
which called for their constant attendance and
hard work for twenty-four hours without cessa-
tion. Most of Captain Carlson's service has been
rendered in connection with Engine Company
No. 4, but he has been with his present company
since its organization in 1897.

He was born in the Parish of Liared, Wester
Gotland, Sweden, November 29, 1835, and is the



son of Joseph and Gustava Carlson. He was
educated in his native country, and after leaving
school learned the trade of a tailor, which he fol-
lowed, both in Sweden and Chicago, until he
was enrolled in the paid fire department.

In 1852, the family, consisting of his parents,
his two sisters and himself, emigrated to America,
settling at Chicago. Here Mr. Carlson, Senior,
died in 1855, his widow surviving him until
1894. The captain and his sister, Mrs. Emma
C. Johnson, wife of John A. Johnson, are the
only living members of his father's family.

In 1873 he was married to his countrywoman,
Mathilda Johnson. The issue of this union has
been three children Albert Godfried, Hilldor
and Arthur James. The family attends Emanuel
Lutheran Church, which was organized in 1853,
Captain Carlson being the only charter member
now connected with the society.

Captain Carlson is a member of the Volunteer
Firemen's Association, the Firemen's Benevolent
Association, and the Mutual Aid Association.
He is a man of independent mind and does not
acknowledge allegiance to any political party.


tailed account of Mr. Marten's ancestry may
be found in the biography of his brother,
Charles Martens, on another page of this volume.
Henry Martens was born in Gartow, Kingdom of
Hanover, Germany, October 18, 1825. His
father was Charles Christian Martens, and his
mother's maiden name was Dorothea Dankert.
He learned floriculture in the old country and
followed that pursuit until his emigration, in the
fall of 1847. On reaching America he catne at
once to Chicago, where for a time he turned his
willing hand to any honorable toil that presented
itself. He worked on the canal and as a farm
hand, and helped build the Chicago & North-
western railroad between Chicago and Elmhurst.
In 1850 he enlisted as a private in Company B,
Third United States Infantry, under Colonel Oli-
ver L. Shepherd. Within eighteen months he
had risen to be first corporal and was later a first
sergeant. His regiment was sent to New Mexi-
co to build and perform garrison duty at Fort
Defiance, and he finally received his discharge at
Albuquerque. This military service entitled him
to exemption from draft during the Civil War,

but his patriotic spirit would not suffer him to
avail himself of the privilege, and he insisted up-
on paying three hundred dollars for a substitute
who might represent him among the boys in

After receiving his discharge, he joined a wag-
on train bound for St. Louis, as a guard. The
journey proved itself a most exciting one. Mr.
Martens had a friend named Michael McGlone, a
typical long-haired frontiersman, a capital fellow
when sober, but a demon when crazed by drink.
Mr. Martens insisted that he, too, should be
taken as a guard, agreeing to become security for
his good behavior. The two friends first pro-
ceeded to Santa Fe, to receive the money due
them from the Government, and joined the party
at Las Vegas. After leaving that point Mc-
Glone' s unfortunate habit overcame him. He
got drunk, started a disturbance of mammoth di-
mensions, and came near killing several of the
travelers, whom he had come to protect, before
he could be overpowered, disarmed and secured.
At Kansas City Mr. Martens left the train, and
there he had an experience with tin-horn gam-
blers, not easily forgotten. He was decoyed, on



a pretext that he was to meet some of his friends,
into a room filled with gamblers and thugs, who
locked the door and made him a prisoner. He
had a large sum of money upon his person,
which fact was probably known to his warders.
The old frontier soldier's presence of mind, how-
ever, did not desert him. Quietly drawing a re-
volver he ordered them to open the door, or suf-
fer the consequences. The door was opened
without further parley.

From Kansas City he returned to Chicago,
reaching the city toward the close of 1855. At
that time the Ruh brothers John, Valentine and
Joseph were conducting a bakery on North
Wells Street. Mr. Martens bought the interest
of John and Joseph, and formed a partnership
with Valentine, devoting himself to a mercantile
life one year. But the business, with its attend-
ant confinement and monotonous routine of duties,

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 90 of 111)