Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 92 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 92 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


can Tea Company and not long afterward opened
a tea and coffee store of his own, in a modest
way. Business prospered, and in 1878 he had
accumulated sufficient means to enable him to
retire. He was one of the victims of the Fidelity
Savings Bank's failure, and with the other depos-
itors was paid forty-five cents on the dollar. He
managed his real estate investment on Blue Is-
land Avenue so judiciously that when he disposed
of if he found that he had netted a clear profit of
twelve hundred dollars. He bought more prop-
erty on West Van Buren Street, and is at present
owner of Nos. 780, 781 and 785 on that thor-
oughfare.

In politics he is a Republican, and his services
have been in request as a campaign speaker.
He was once an unsuccessful candidate for alder-
man of the Seventh Ward on his party ticket,
He was a warm supporter of Monroe Heath, and
has always been a public-spirited citizen, having
the best interests of the city at heart, and being
instrumental in bringing about many local im-
provements.



6O2



CHRISTIAN DIETERIvE.



Mr. and Mrs. Schmeltz were the parents of two
sons, Henry G. , who has been in the employ of
the Durand family, wholesale grocers, twenty-
seven years, and Albert C., who is credit man
for the firm of Jaeger & Company, wholesale
grocers.

Mr. Schmeltz has been a successful man. He



is a man of unusually keen intellect, possessed of
untiring industry and perseverance; yet he as-
cribes his success, in no small measure,, to the
energy, frugality and wise counsel of his excel-
lent wife, who was in every sense of the word a
helpmeet 19 him. In 1896 they visited the Fath-
erland together.



CHRISTIAN DIETERLE.



CHRISTIAN DIETERLE isof German birth
j C and parentage. He was born at Weiblingen,
\j near Stuckhardt, Wurtemberg, Germany,
March 18, 1830, the son of Michael and Katharine
Dieterle, and one of a family of six children. He
is the only one who has made his ,home in the
New World. The father operated a vineyard
and farming and gardening occupied the atten-
tion of the son after leaving school, his elementary
training being received at the L,utheran parochial
schools, and at those maintained by the govern-
ment. He left school at the age of sixteen years
and for several years worked upon a farm.

Thus his life passed until the spring of 1854,
when he resolved to emulate the example of many
of his compatriots by wooing Fortune in "fresh
fields and pastures new." May 2 of that year he
turned his face toward the setting sun, and set
out for Havre, France. From that point he
sailed for New York, which city he reached June
1 1 . He made no pause at the eastern metropolis
in his westward journey, but at once departed
for Chicago. On reaching that city he found all
avenues of employment closed, because of a
plethora of either unemployed or misdirected
energy.

Being informed that better opportunities were
to be had at I,a Porte, Indiana, he went from
Chicago to that town, where he obtained work as
a farm hand. At the end of the busy season in



agricultural labor he returned to Chicago, and
found work in a livery stable. His task was far
from congenial, and after eight months he aban-
doned it to enter the employ of the Gates Iron
Works, in whose machine shops he worked eight
years. After leaving the employ of this concern
he went to work as a cooper, mastering the
mysteries of the trade and becoming a fairly good
workman within three months. His employer
and teacher was John Hess. He liked the work
and after leaving the employ of Mr. Hess he
opened a shop of his own in the rear of No. 555
West Fourteenth Street, which property he has
since purchased and improved.

Shrewd common sense and inborn industry in-
sured the success which naturally followed. For
twenty years he did a prosperous and remu-
nerative business in his rather modest shop, the
pressure of his orders frequently calling for the
employment of a large number of hands. He
also owned and conducted a cooper shop on
Seventeenth Street, on the present site of the
Jirka School.

Mr. Dieterle is a man of comparatively simple
tastes, and in 1885, having accumulated a com-
petence, he retired from active business, to enjoy
the ease which he had richly earned by a life of
industry, prudence and integrity. His business
record is one of which he may well be proud, and
the story of his private life is without a stain.



JOHN GADEN.



603



As a citizen he is deeply interested in public
affairs, although neither an aspirant for office nor
a party worker. Politically he has always been
an ardent and consistent Republican, having cast
his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in
1860. He is not a member of any society, al-
though he was once affiliated with the Sons of
Hermann and the Germania Society.

Mr. Dieterle married Dorothy Keenle, October
9, 1854. His wife was born in the same town as
himself and they crossed the ocean on the same



vessel. She died December 15, 1896. Five chil-
dren, four sons and a daughter, were born to
them, of whom the youngest son, Albert, died in
Denver, Colorado, in September, 1897, leaving
two children, who are cared for by Miss Dieterle.
Those yet living are: Henry E. , Edward A.,
William and Emily C. Edward is a machinist,
and William is in the employ of Marshall Field &
Company. The family was reared in the Luth-
eran faith, and all its members are devout and
consistent worshippers in that church.



JOHN GADEN.



(lOHN GADEN, a well-known property owner
I of the section in which he is located, was
C/ formerly of Germany, having been born
June 10, 1842, in the village of Wolkenwehe, a
place of four hundred people, near a city of five
thousand, Oldesloe, in Holstein, Germany. His
parents were Frederick and Dorothea Margareta
(Relling) Gaden, and his paternal grandfather,
August Gaden.

The last named August Gaden was the fa-
ther of five children Frederick, Johann, Carl,
Henry and Dorothea. Dorothea married Henry
Homan and their children are accounted for as
follows: Henry, John and Dorothea. Their
daughter married Henry Wieser and their son,
Henry, is in Iowa following the occupation of a
farmer. John, who married Wilhelmina Apple,
remained in Germany. His children were named
John, Henry, Sophia, Minnie, Lottie, Louise and
Dorothea. Henry is a farmer in Iowa, and Doro-
thea married John Clausen and resides in Daven-
port, Iowa. Henry, of the family of August
Gaden, never married, and Charles went to
Australia.

Henry Relling, father of Dorothea M. (Rell-



ing) Gaden, was the father of a family which in-
cluded a' son named Henry Relling. The last
named married and remained in Germany. His
children were: Hans, John, Christoph, Diedrich,
Fritz, August, Ferdinand, Margaret, Mary and
Louise. None of this family ever emigrated.

Frederick Gaden was born in 1795, near Olde-
sloe, and died in 1873. He was an extensive
farmer, operating two hundred acres, and raised
stock, finding niarket for his products in Ham-
burg. He was a German Lutheran in religious
principles, and a worthy and highly respected
man. He was a man of fine physique, weighing
one hundred and sixty pounds and well able to
take care of his large property, which afterward
fell into the hands of his son, Henry.

His wife, the mother of the man whose name
heads this article, was born in 1811, and died in
1881. She was the mother of a large family, of
each member of which short mention is made.
Dorothea died at the age of thirty-five years.
Henry, who is on the old homestead, married
Dorothea Gerken, and their children are: Fred-
erick, Clans, Mary and John. Frederick is a
wealthy contractor in Christiana, Norway. He



604



JOHN GADEN.



was twice married and the children by his first
marriage were Andrea and Mary. There were
no children by the second marriage of this man.

Glaus Peter Heinrich, born April i, 1838, was
married March 7, 1876, to Harriet Westensee,
daughter of Herman John and Anna (Knack)
Westensee. She was born February 4, 1854, in
the village of Merkendorf, Holstein, Germany.
The children of this couple are accounted for as
follows: Ernst Diedrich, born May 30, 1889;
Emil, born November 20, 1894, died August 12,
1895. Claus P. H. Gaden and his brother,
Herman, were the first of his father's family to
emigrate. The former reached New York in
November, 1869, journeying west to Omaha,
Nebraska, where he worked at the trade of car-
penter. After one subsequent year in New
Orleans he came to Chicago and was occupied at
his chosen trade until 1880. Later, with his
brother, Diedrich, he started a store at No. 160
Centre Street, in 1888, dealing in delicacies,
which has commanded his attention since.

Marie, the next in order of birth of the chil-
dren of Frederick Gaden, died at the youthful
age of fifteen years. John was the next born,
and Herman Nicholas, born September 25, 1844.
the seventh born. He learned the trade of car"
penter and joiner in Germany and in his work
as journeyman visited Bremen and Hamburg,
Copenhagen and Christiana for his brother Fred-
erick in the last-named city. After his arrival in
America he visited Omaha, New Orleans, and
came to Chicago in February, 1872. He was
employed for wages until 1875, at which time he
established a contract business for his own inter-
ests, with shop on North Clark Street, near
Turner Hall, where his headquarters were located
two years. He then moved to East Chicago
Avenue, near Clark Street, remaining four years
in the same place. After one year in Harlem, he
was six years at No. 600 West Indiana Street,
and since that time has been at No. 795 Fulton
Street. His business is mostly done with archi-
tects, and residences on the south side have taken
his attention to a great extent.

H. N. Gaden has built about one hundred
residences, and among other buildings Saint



Luke's Hospital. He was married September
1 5, !877, to Wilhelmina Schroeder, daughter of
Carl and Marie (Seekamp) Schroeder. Mrs.
H. N. Gaden was born March 24, 1858, at No.
282 Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago. Her father
came over in 1847. The children of Mr. and
Mrs. H. N. Gaden are three in number: Arthur
Henry Ernst, born June 30, 1878; Frederick
Louis, born June 7, 1880; and Adelia Emma
Roslind.

Margaret Marie, eighth child of Frederick
Gaden, was born July 10, 1850, and died Sep-
tember 10, 1895, her remains resting in Forest
Home Cemetery. March 28, 1873, this lady was
married to Theodore Clamer, who was born De-
cember '14, 1845, in Oldesloe, Germany. With
his wife and three children he reached New York
December 24, 1881. The children of Mr. and
Mrs. Theodore Clamer are accounted for as fol-
lows: Frederick William Henry, born Ma}' 13,
1874; Henry Frederick Theodore, known as
Theodore, Junior, born October 27, 1876; and
Henry Julius, born September 8, 1877.

August, the next child of the parents of John
Gaden, was born September 7, 1848. He never
married, and died August 18, 1897. This was
the favorite brother of John, and they were asso-
ciated in nearly all their business transactions.
He was quite prominent and served as alderman
in Harlem from 1884 to 1891. Heinrich Died-
rich, born January 3, 1854, landed in New York
October 10, 1883. He had learned the trade of a
tanner in Germany, but abandoned it after one
year in America. In Jefferson Township he kept
twenty-two cows and established a milk route,
which he retained three years. He subsequently
started a store at No. 151 Clybourn Avenue,
which occupied him two years, when he joined
his brother Claus, as is mentioned above.

John Gaden, of whom this article is a biog-
raphy, learned the trade of brick-laying, and fol-
lowed it in his native land. With his brother,
August, he reached New York in June, 1871, and
traveled to Omaha, Nebraska, where a brother,
Gustav, had preceded them. Mr. Gaden re-
mained there five months, and was employed on
a government steamer the same length of time.



HENRY GILBERT.



605



He went to St. Louis and for some months fol-
lowed his former trade there. He was similarly
occupied in New Orleans one year, and the same
length of time in Galveston, Texas. He spent
some months in New Orleans and Davenport,
Iowa, subsequently coming to Chicago to change
his occupation.

He located a restaurant on Clark Street, near
Chicago Avenue, which he carried on two years,
and then bought a lot in Harlem and erected a
building for the purpose of starting a saloon and
general merchandise store. This was in 1876,
and he eontinued, with success, until 1884, when
he built at No. 193 Madison Street and became
identified with his brothers, August and Herman,
who had built at Nos. 195-197. In 1884 he sold
out the mercantile portion and made a restaurant
of the place. In 1888 he built a business block
near Altenheim Station with his brother, Her-
man, to whom he sold out later. In 1891 Mr.
Gaden established a fine resort and picnic grounds,



hall, theatre and bowling alley, all of which oc-
cupies one acre of ground.

March 9, 1875, Mr. Gaden married Rosa
Johanna Wilhelmina, daughter of Ludwig Died-
rich Hann. For further mention of her ancestry
refer to sketch of her father, in this volume. The
children of Mr. and Mrs. Gaden are accounted
for as follows: Infant boy, infant girl, Rudolph
August Herman, born August 6, 1877, lives
at home; Martha Matilda Wilhelmina Albina
Sophia, born August 27, 1879; Henry Frederick,
born July 22, 1881; Edwin Henry August, born
May 4, 1883; Anton Herman, born November 6,
1886; and an infant boy.

Mr. Gaden is a member of Olympia Lodge,
No. 477, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He
conducts one of the finest resorts in Harlem be-
cause he is careful of the reputation of the place.
He caters only to the first-class people. He is
blessed with a charming wife and daughter and
energetic, intelligent boys.



HENRY GILBERT.



HENRY GILBERT, foreman in the tin de-
partment of the Chicago & Northwestern
Railway Company's shops, has spent almost
his entire life in Chicago. He was born in Os-
wego, New York, January 12, 1834. His par-
ents, Sherrod and Elizabeth Ann (Acres) Gil-
bert, were natives of England. They were mar-
ried in Oswego, and in the year 1826 came to
Chicago, when Henry was two years old. Both
died in this city, the mother in 1854, and the
father in 1869. Their remains rest in Graceland.
They were the parents of two children, Henry
and Matilda.

Henry Gilbert was educated in the public
schools of this city. He learned the trade of tin
and copper smith with Thomas George, on Lake



Street, and worked as a journeyman until 1863,
when he entered the employ of the Chicago &
Northwestern Railway Company, and was given
charge of the tin department, which position he
has held ever since.

In 1855 he married Mary Jane Muldoon, of
Chicago, a native of Bridgeport, Connecticut, and
of Irish parentage. Of this union four daughters
and two sons were born, of whom three daughters
died in childhood. The surviving children are:
William Henry; Charles, a machinist; and Anna
Mary.

Mrs. Gilbert died January 7, 1897. The mem-
bers of the family are connected with the Bethany
Congregational Church, where they are highly
respected by the congregation.



6o6



C. H. MARTENS.



Mr. Gilbert has seen many charges and has
twice witnessed the building of the city. Previ-
ous to the fire of 1871 he lived on LaSalle Ave-
nue, and was burned out there, losing all of the
improvements he had put upon the property.
In the spring of 1872 he purchased a lot at
No. 19 Iowa Street and erected a residence where
most of the surrounding country was unbroken
plain, thus becoming one of the first settlers in
this now populous portion of the city.

Mr. Gilbert is a member of Cleveland Lodge



No. 211, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons.
His political faith is Republican and his vote is
always cast for the Republican national electors,
but in local affairs he votes independently.

Mr. Gilbert's life has been spent in promoting
the commercial and financial interests of the
country by improving the means by which the
products of this great country are moved from
one point to another. By the labors of such men
as he have the arteries of commerce been devel-
oped during the present century.



CHARLES H. MARTENS.



EHARLES HENRY MARTENS was born
on a farm in section 27, of Ley den Town-
ship, Cook County, on December 10, 1852.
His family relations and descent are set forth in
the biographical sketch of his father, Charles
Martens, elsewhere in this work.

He was educated in the public and parochial
schools, and passed the first thirty years of his
life at his parents' home, but in the spring of
1883 built the house where he now lives, and on
the thirteenth of the following June took to him-
self a wife. He then began the cultivation of a
farm of sixty acres, which he afterwards increased
to eighty by the purchase of twenty additional
acres. April 19, 1889, he disposed of this prop-
erty, with the exception of the homestead and a
plat of two acres surrounding it, obtaining four
hundred and fifty dollars an acre for the land in
section 22, and three hundred and fifty dollars
an acre for that in section 21. He still deals, to
some extent, in real estate, as to the value of
which his judgment is seldom at fault.

Reference has been already made to Mr. Mar-
tens' marriage. His wife was Louise Mary
Popp, a daughter of Adam Popp, who was born
in that township, January 31, 1861. The issue



of the marriage has been as follows: Walter,
born May 13, 1884, died September 12, 1886, and
buried at Eden Cemetery; Eva Frederika, born
May 7, 1887; Elsie Louise, born August 24, 1890.

Mr. Martens is a member of Waldeck Lodge
No. 674, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons,
and of the German Lutheran Church. In politics
he is a Republican, and has held several offices.
For two years 1884 and 1885 he was collector
of the township, for a like period assessor, and
for three years school director and for eighteen
months president of the village.

Mr. Martens has one of the most attractive sub-
urban homes to be found around Chicago.
Everything about it has been planned, laid out and
built under his own personal supervision, and the
evidences of refined taste and skilled workman-
ship are to be seen on every hand. Since dispos-
ing of his original farm to aid in the building up
of Franklin Park, he has engaged more or less in
farming for his own pleasure, though never with
an eye to profit. His reputation for integrity and
business sagacity is an enviable one, his word be-
ing regarded as equivalent to his bond, while his
commercial judgment has been repeatedly shown
to be well nigh unerring.






LIBRARY
OF THE
DIVERSITY OF ILLI*'







MAJ, L. S. RASMUSSEN



L. S. RASMUSSEN.



607



LAURITZ S. RASMUSSEN.






I AJ. LAURITZ S. RASMUSSEN was born
at Copenhagen, June 5, 1837. He comes
of a line of military ancestors. His father,
Hans Peter Severin Rasmussen, who was a na-
tive of Jutland, was an officer in the Danish navy,
while many others of his progenitors served with
distinction as soldiers or sailors under the flag of
their country. His father died at the age of
seventy, and his only sister when but four years
old. He has no brothers.

Major Rasmussen graduated from the Danish
Military Academy at the age of twenty, and was
at once commissioned a lieutenant in the Seven-
teenth regiment of infantry. In 1861 he was
granted leave of absence at his own request and
came to America, where he enlisted as a private
in Company D, First New York Infantry Volun-
teers. In 1862 he re-enlisted once more as a
private in the One Hundred and Nineteenth
Regiment, New York Infantry, and served to the
close of the Civil War. He took part in the
Potomac campaigns, and in the battle of Gettys-
burg. Later his regiment was sent West, where
he participated in the fierce fight at Lookout
Mountain and marched with Sherman to the sea.
He was transferred to the One Hundred and
Nineteenth United States Colored Infantry, made
second lieutenant for gallant service, and attached
to the command of General Stoneman. He re-
ceived his majority in 1865, and was assigned to
duty at Louisville, Kentucky, to aid in muster-
ing out Sherman's army. He next re-joined his



regiment at Brownsville, Texas, and from there
was ordered to Arizona Territory, where he saw
service in fighting the Indians.

In 1866 he resigned his commission and went
to New York, coming soon afterward to Chicago.
He soon accepted the general agency of the
Great Western Life Insurance Company, of New
York, with headquarters at St. Paul. A year
later he returned to this city and entered the
employ of the Burlington & Missouri River Rail-
road Company as local agent. He remained with
the company until 1871. Since then he has been
connected with the various newspapers, and him-
self published, for two years, a journal called the
Daily North-west. Since the year 1894 ne ^ as
been engaged in the real-estate business, his
present location being at No. 1379 Humboldt
Boulevard.

In 1877, when the famous riots occurred in
Chicago, Major Rasmussen, then a captain of
the state militia, was the first officer to report for
duty. During seven days he was on guard, until
relieved by a regiment of regulars.

Major Rasmussen has been a widower since
1882, and all his eight children are deceased.
He is an active worker in the Grand Army of the
Republic, being a member of Butler Post No.
754, and having organized many others, of
several of which he has been commander. His
first presidential vote was cast for Abraham
Lincoln in 1864, and he has since supported the
Republican ticket in national contests.



6o8



CONRAD TAUBERT.



CONRAD TAUBERT.



EONRAD TAUBERT, one of the highly re-
spected and esteemed citizens of Chicago,
has for the past fifteen years been a valued
and honored employe of the Chicago French
Embroidery Company, and is a skilled and ex-
perienced fringe-maker. He was born July 14,
1844, in the village of Kaiserroda, in Saxon
Weimer, Germany. His parents were Conrad,
Senior, and Christina (Kaiser) Taubert.

The grandfather of the man whose name heads
this article was Herominus Taubert, and he was
a weaver. The maternal grandfather had four
children. Conrad Taubert, Senior, was a weaver
in his native land and died when in the prime of
manhood, in 1863. His wife died January 23,
1872, at the age of fifty-three years. Her chil-
dren were: Conrad and Henry, the latter being a
resident of No. 78 Maud Avenue, Chicago.

Conrad Taubert, of whom this commemoration
treats, was the first of his father's family to emi-
grate to America and he went directly to Mendota,
Illinois, and four weeks later, November 7, 1865,
located in Chicago. He followed the occupation
of his fathers and was a weaver, but there being
no special demand for men of his occupation, he
became a fringe-maker. For a short time he was
with Henry Went, at the corner of Polk and Jef-
ferson Streets, after which he entered the employ
of Mr. Fiedler, cord and tassel maker, and re-
mained thus occupied three years. He then be-
came identified with Mr. Jacobs, at the corner of
Michigan and Wells Streets, and was with him
until April, 1871, when he started a catering es-



tablishment on Sedgwick Street. He was burned
out some months later by the great fire and re-
moved to New York, where he became an em-
ploye of Mr. O'Brien, at No. 66 Bowery. He
remained but three months, when he was back
in the service of Mr. Jacobs, of Chicago, and con-
tinued in his employ a period of five years. He
was ten years subsequently in the service of Mr.
Peters, at No. 61 Washington Street, and since
that time, a period of fifteen years, has been
identified with the Chicago French Embroidery
Company, at the southwest corner of Madison
Street and Fifth Avenue. This concern moved
their place of business to No. 71 Market Street.

August 4, 1868, Mr. Taubert married Mary
Muther, daughter of Alouiwse and Josepha (Jely )
Muther, who was born April 15, 1843, in Aus-
tria. Alouiwse Muther died in 1846, at the age
of thirty-two years. He was a tiller of the soil
and his children were four in number. Mrs.
Taubert is the oldest. I/awrence Muther, the
next in order of birth, is a partner and superin-
tendent of the Union Special Sewing Machine
Company. He resides at No. 406 Forest Ave-
nue. Joseph conducts a catering establishment
at No. 187 Washington Street, his home being
at No. 193, the same street. Alouiwse died at



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 92 of 111)