the age of seventeen years, in Chicago.
The mother of Mrs. Taubert, Mrs. Muther, was
born in October, 1818, and joined the great ma-
jority February 16, 1870. Her remains were in-
terred in St. Boniface Cemetery. Her second
husband was Frank Joseph Muther and he was
C. A. TIDEN.
the father of Frank J., Josepha, Charles and
Cecelia. Frank Joseph Muther was a carpenter,
but followed the occupation of a farmer in Park
Ridge. He died May 10, 1867, at the age of
forty -two years. He had lived iu Chicago since
1852. Of his children, Frank Joseph is the old-
est, having been born December 25, 1848. He
married Miss Fannie Cox, of Kansas City, and
their children were named: Frank, Daisy and
Georgia. He is a cigar manufacturer, and re-
sides in Santa Rosa, California. Josepha, born
January 15, 1850, married William Lang and
their children are: William, Frank, Ida and
Charles. The family of Mr. Lang resides in
California, in the city of San Francisco, and he is
a candy-maker. Charles, born in 1851, married
Elizabeth Honsburg, and is with Lawrence, his
half brother. Cecelia, born in January, 1852, died
on the voyage to America in August, 1852, and his
remains were interred in the ocean. John, born
in November, 1853, is an auctioneer and picture
frame manufacturer. He married Charlotte Cof-
fee and resides in California. His children were
John and George Washington. The former died
at the age of eighteen years. Michael, born in
the fall of 1855, married Miss Emma Winhofer,
and died in Santa Rosa, California, in 1888. Mr.
Muther was a carpenter, and his widow and one
child, George, reside in Lake View. Elizabeth,
born August 18, 1858, is a traveling companion
and is now in Honolulu. Amelia, born in 1861,
died in 1864. William, born April 18, 1863,
died September 2, 1897. He married Mary Har-
bach and lived in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their chil-
dren were named: Alice, Mary and Charles.
Mr. and Mrs. Conrad Taubert were the par-
ents of six children: Ida Amelia Josepha, the
oldest, at home with her parents; Edmond Con-
rad Lawrence, born April 12, 1870; Emma
Christina Elizabeth; Robert Henry, born March
18, 1875; Frederick Frank William, born Febru-
ary 27, 1878, at home; and Clara Marie.
Mr. Taubert is a member of Germania Lodge
No. 282, of the Society of Red Men. He was
reared a Protestant and clings to the faith of his
fathers, while his wife is a Catholic.
CHARLES A. TIDEN.
EHARLES ABRAM TIDEN, of a nation of
sturdy, muscular men, is one of the repre-
sentative citizens of Chicago and a com-
petent and valued employe of Spaulding & Com-
pany, jewelers. He was born in the village of
Sollefteo, Augermanland, Sweden, June 15, 1850.
His parents were Olaf and Sarah (Olsen) Sell-
stedt, and were natives of the same province.
Olaf Sellstedt, grandfather of Charles Abram
Tiden, was a tiller of the soil, and his children
were: Nels, Olaf, Anna and Jonas. The last-
named was a Lutheran clergyman.
The maternal grandfather was Olaf Olson,
whose children were: Sarah, Nels, Magnus, Anna,
Mary and Carrie. Olaf Sellstedt, Junior, father
of the man whose name heads this article, was
born in 1814, and died in 1867. He was a tiller
of his own land in Sweden. His wife was born
in 1812, and died April 5, 1863. Her children
were named as follows: Anna, Jonas, Olaf, Nels
and Charles. All are deceased except Charles
and Jonas, the former being the only one to
emigrate from their native land.
Charles A. Tiden reached Chicago May 21,
1871, and has since been a resident of this locality.
He attended school until he was fifteen years of
age, in Sweden, after which he learned the trade
of watchmaker. He practiced this profession in
Sundsvell four years and then served as journey-
man in Guttenberg three years and two years in
Stockholm. At that time he decided to seek his
fortune in America, and immigrated to the
He was employed by different concerns for six
months and subsequently remained with Robert
Seidel two years. He was in the service of J. S.
Townsend, located at No. 1554 Wabash Avenue,
seven years. From the spring of the year 1887,
until August 6, 1898, he was employed in the
well-known establishment, of C. D. Peacock.
Since that time he has been in the service of
Spaulding & Company.
May n, 1892, Mr. Tiden was married to Miss
Carrie Anderson, a daughter of S wen Anderson.
Mrs. Tiden was born in Stengordsholt, Smoland,
Sweden, September 21, 1853, and died February
9, 1897. Her remains were interred in Mount
Hope Cemetery, and her loss was mourned by
many friends, as well as by her relatives.
Mr. Tiden is not a seeker after public office,
but a stanch upholder of the principles of the
Republican party. He is a very ambitious man,
and one of the finest workmen in his profession
in the West. He was enabled, in 1892, to erect a
residence at No. 6312 Champlain Avenue, where
his home has since been located.
IT RNST JOHNKE, who is car inspector for
rJ the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Rail-
I road Company in Chicago, is a native of
Germany. He was born August 3, 1847, in the
village of Colberg, and is a true representative of
the sturdy and energetic character of the Ger-
man. His father was a respected man of the lo-
cality where he resided at the time of his son's
birth, whose name was Frederick Johnke.
He lived all his life in the land of his birth and
tilled his own land. His wife died in 1848. Of
the children of Mr. and Mrs. F. Johnke Oottleib,
Wilhelmina, Hennette, Frederick, August, Al-
bertine, William, Albert and Ernst Gottleib,
August, William and Albert are deceased, and of
those who have passed the border, the first three
are buried in Oakwoods Cemetery. William
Johnke came to America in 1868 and located in
Chicago. He married Miss Caroline Ledbuhr,
and their only child is named August.
Frederick and August Johnke emigrated from
their native land and located in Chicago in 1865.
Ernst Johnke, whose name heads this article,
reached New York December 7, 1867, and ar-
rived in Chicago April 3, 1848. He was in charge
of the brick masons, who were employed on the
Court House, and while thus occupied fell at
one time, a distance of forty feet. He followed
this work until he entered the service of the
Chicago. Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Com-
pany, at its elevators, where he was employed
until he accepted a position with the Lake Shore
& Michigan Southern Railroad Company, eight
years later. He has held his present responsible
occupation for a period of seventeen years. This
fact goes to show that his services are valued and
that he is possessed of much stability of char-
July n, 1875, Mr. Johnke was married to Miss
Amelia, daughter of William and Elvina (Cor-
nell) Franke, all natives of the vicinity of Ber-
lin, Germany. Mrs. Johnke was born July 20,
1855. Her parents and their nine children came
to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, in 1865, where the
family still reside. Mrs. Johnke came alone to
Chicago August 2, 1871. Mr. and Mrs. Johnke
became the parents of six children : Albert Will-
iam Peter, born May 25, 1876, died April 2,
1884. George Carl Bernhardt, born June 9,
1878, died March 12, 1884. Elvina Wilhelmina
Phillipina, born December 9, 1879, died March
28, 1884. Edward Henry Ernst, born June 25,
1885, was the next in order of birth. Alma
Emma Henrietta was born December 5, 1886,
and Emma Herinina Albertina, November 7,
1892. The first three died of scarlet fever.
Mr. Johnke has ever been of an ambitious and
thrifty nature, and with a partner of similar
tendencies he has accumulated considerable of
this world's goods. In 1890 he was enabled to
build a residence at No. 6334 Rhodes Avenue,
where he has since resided. He votes in favor
of the Republican party, though he has never
sought public office. His ancestors were Luth-
erans and he has been true to the teachings of
PALMER, one of the best-known
and most extensive building contractors of
Chicago, has built much of the resident
portion of the South Side. He was born Septem-
ber 22, 1840, in Bathurst, Ontario, Canada, his
parents being William and Mary (Wilson) Pal-
mer. Mr. Palmer's grandfather, John Palmer,
was a soldier in the British Army and served
seven years in British India. Mr. Palmer's ma-
ternal grandparents were George and Agnes
William Palmer, Senior, was born in Suffolk,
England, and came to America when a young
man. He passed away in 1886, having reached
the age of eighty years. He was an agricultur-
ist and was a consistent member of the Episcopal
Church. His wife was born in Scotland, emi-
grating when twelve years of age. All her liv-
ing children are residents of Canada, except Will-
iam, whose name heads this sketch.
An attendant of a country school until fifteen
years of age, Mr. Palmer remained on the farm
where he was born, two years more. He was then
made apprentice to learn the trade of carpenter.
After a short time spent at Bathurst, he located
in Chicago, arriving September 3, 1863. He as-
sisted in the erection of the North Side College,
the Reynolds Block and the first Chamber of
Commerce building. He then made a short visit
In May, 1866, with Duncan McClellan, Mr.
Palmer established a partnership contract busi-
ness which continued until the fall of 1868, under
the firm name of McClellan & Palmer. Mr.
Palmer then united with Alexander McDonald,
but this partnership continued only a few months,
however, when Mr. Palmer decided to operate his
business unaided, which he did for some time.
In November, 1871, Mr. Palmer established him-
self in business at No. 39 Homan Court. He
was thus located until the spring of 1889. Since
that time he has given his whole time and atten-
tion to building. In July, 1898, he located an
office at No. 4305 Langley Avenue. He con-
structed the Chicago Post-Graduate Medical Col-
lege, the residence of Barry Brothers, thirteen
houses on Ellis Avenue, six on Kenwood Ave-
nue and other residences on the South Side, and
performed carpenter work on the Lake Shore &
Michigan Southern depot and the first Young
Men's Christian Association building. From
1876 to 1898 he resided at No. 3212 Forest
November 26, 1864, Mr. Palmer was united
in marriage to Miss Margaret Carrie Honden,
who was born January 18, 1841, in Scotland.
She passed away in October, 1898, her death
being caused by a cancer. She was a woman of
noble character, a practical helpmeet to her hus-
band, a kind mother, and one whose loss is very
deeply mourned, not only by her immediate fam-
ily, but by neighbors and all who were privileged
to enjoy her friendship. Throughout her long
and painful illness, she uttered no word of com-
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Palmer were five
in number. William John, born August n,
1867, died February n, 1882. George Wilson,
born April 26, 1869, married Miss Helen Fuller.
He is in the service of the Northern Trust Com-
pany, and resides with his wife and only child,
at No. 3212 Forest Avenue. James Davidson,
born March 17, 1871, died February 4, 1882. A
biography of Frank Burr, the next in order of
birth, appears on another page of this work.
Grace was born Augusts, 1875. Though never
an office seeker, Mr. Palmer is a stanch Repub-
lican. He and his family are consistent and
honored members of the Second Adventist
HOHN KANE, who is one of Chicago's repre-
I sentative citizens, was born in 1832, in
C/ Waterford, Ireland. His father was Michael
Kane, and his mother, who was a Miss Tobin,
died when her son John was but three weeks
old. With his father and brother and sisters
Patrick, Mary, Bridget and Nora John Kane
came to America in 1846. He located in Chicago
and was employed by the Chicago, Rock Island
& Pacific Railroad Company. He went, sub-
sequently, to Saratoga Springs, New York, where
he was married. He came back to Chicago and
was occupied as a laborer before he entered into
the enterprise of teaming. In 1 859 he purchased
thirteen and one-half acres of land, between
Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh Streets, and
moved a house to this property. Since that
time he has resided at No. 6619 State Street.
John Kane was married April 8, 1856, to
Bridget Elizabeth, daughter of John and Mar-
garet (Hainan) Guerin. Mrs. Kane was born
August 15, 1830, in Parish Minoe, County Clare,
Ireland. Mrs. Kane and her sister, Mary, immi-
grated to America in 1 85 1 , and located in Esperus,
Schoharie County, New York. They remained
a period of three years and some months, during
which time Mrs. Kane was employed by Mr.
Alfred Isham. She then located in Saratoga
Springs, New York, and was a seamstress in the
tailor shop of Mr. Wilcox two years, and was
with Daniel Stewart, in the capacity of household
assistant, one year. Her father died when she
was about eight years of age, in his early man-
hood. He was a tiller of the soil by occupation.
His wife survived him until 1852, having reached
the age of forty years. Her children are accounted
for as follows: James, a tiller of the soil, is mar-
ried and resides in the city of Melbourne, Aus-
tralia; John died at the age of fourteen years;
Mrs. Kane is the next in order of birth; Mary
never married and died at the age of twenty-two
years; Michael lived to be eight years old; Patrick
died one year before reaching his majority ; Thom-
as, a freight house clerk, married Elizabeth Lahiff,
and resides in San Francisco, California. Cath-
erine and Julia, twins, died at the age of eighteen
months; Maggie lives near Seattle, Washington,
having married John Crane, an agriculturist.
F. A. BROWN.
Mr. and Mrs. Kane became the parents of eleven
children. Mary was born March i, 1857, an d
married Mr. McKicham, extended mention of
whom appears on another page of this work.
John, born November 6, 1859, died March 23,
1887. He was killed by a train of the Lake
Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Company,
at Root Street. Michael, born August 29, 1861,
married Mary N. Steinberg, and their children are
Clarence and Grace. He is a gate-keeper and has
occupied this position twenty-one years. Mar-
garet, born August 13, 1863, married John Metz-
ger, and resides at the corner of Seventy-ninth
Street and Ford Avenue. Mr. Metzger is an
engineer and his children are: Nellie, John, Fred-
erick, Philip and Bessie (the last two named be-
ing twins) Kate and George. Patrick Henry
Kane, born March 23, 1865, married Sophia
Lowie. He is a policeman, and resides at the
corner of Sangamon and Seventy-second Streets.
His children are Albert and Roger. Ellen, born
December 25, 1866, married Samuel Rank. Her
children are: Grace, Mamie and Hattie. Thomas,
born November 24, 1867, is a watchman in the
employ of the New York, Chicago & St. Louis
Railroad Company. He married Annie Brown
and resides on Chauncey Avenue. Their chil-
dren are named: George, Thomas, Theresa and
Stephen. James was born July 17, 1869, and
died at the age of fourteen months. Elizabeth,
born March 23, 1871, married Eugene Hutton,
and their only child is named Eugene. Mr. Hut-
ton is a paper-hanger and decorator and resides
on Wabash Avenue. Nora, born January 4,
1874, died when four days old. Stephen, born
December 25, 1876, was in Troop E, First Illi-
nois Cavalry, in the war with Spain.
Mr. Kane was born of Roman Catholic parents
and is a stanch Democrat in politics. He is not
an office-seeker, but is interested in the fate of
his party and never fails to offer his influence
and arguments in its favor.
FREDERIK A. BROWN.
r~REDERIK ANIAS BROWN is one of
Vri those sons of Denmark who have found a
| * home in America at an early age, and who,
while yet in the flush of young manhood, have
attained success through their own unaided ex-
ertions. He was born January 19, 1866, at
Nakskow, and is the oldest of four children born
to Hans and Laura Brown, both natives of Den-
mark. His father was a brewer and still carries
on the same business in his native place.
The elder Brown was naturally desirous of
training his son to his own trade. Accordingly,
when Frederik was fifteen years old and had
attended the common schools for the customary
period, he was placed to work in a general store,
where he might learn something of the funda-
mental principles of business, and later was sent
to a brewing school (the only institution of the
sort in Denmark), to learn both the science and
practical art of brewing. At the age of twenty-
one years he returned to Nakskow and took
charge of his father's business. There he re-
mained for a period of two years, when he left
his native country to begin a new career at
Arriving in this city he commenced work for
the North Western Terra Cotta Company, in
which employ he remained four years. He re-
turned to this concern, after working as collector
for six months, during the Columbian Exposition,
and continued with the company for a year and
one-half. His next venture was to start a brewery
G. I. HOFFMANN.
at Racine, Wisconsin, the only one of its kind in
America making non-intoxicating beer. After
two years he disposed of his interest in the busi-
ness to his partner, who still carries it on. Re-
turning to Chicago, he entered into a teaming
contract with Kuh, Nathan & Fischer, wholesale
dealers in clothing, with which concern he has
Before leaving Denmark he was married to
Johanna Hansen, who was born in Copenhagen.
Mr. Brown is an active member of the Danish
Veterans' Association, of which he is (1899)
secretary. He was several years president of the
Danish Turners' Society, which has gone out of
existence. In religious faith he is a Lutheran,
and is a Republican in politics.
GEORGE I. HOFFMANN.
0EORGE I. HOFFMANN is a native of Lok-
I ken, Denmark. He was born July 4, 1834,
t_J and is the fourth child and third son of
Thomas Christian Hoffmann and his wife, Cath-
erine M. Petersen. Both parents were natives of
Lokken, where the father was prominent in both
mercantile and farming interests. He died at the
age of fifty-eight years. The mother died at the
age of seventy-five years. Both parents spent
their lives in their native place. Their family
consisted of ten children, seven of whom grew to
George I. Hoffmann passed his boyhood in his
birthplace, attending the local schools until the
age of fifteen years, when he was apprenticed to
a farmer. Here, by his industry and close atten-
tion to business, he rose at the end of two years
to be assistant overseer. One year later he left
that position to take charge of the property of a
deceased uncle. At the end of two years this
farm was sold and he managed another place for
two and one-half years. At the end of that time
he decided to come to America, and spent six
months in making preparations for the journey.
He was at that time engaged to his present
wife, but left his young sweetheart to follow him
later, and in 1861 he landed in this country,
corning to Lee County, Illinois, where he was
engaged in farming for about two months; but
the war of the Rebellion had been declared and
the young Dane was anxious to help his adopted
land, so with two of his countrymen he enlisted
in Company A, Second Illinois Cavalry, and
served with that regiment until the battle of Fort
Donaldson, in 1862, when he was wounded. He
was unwilling to be left behind and stayed with
his company until after the battle of Shiloh, when
his condition became known to his officers and
he was honorably discharged on account of dis-
ability. This is a fine record for a man who had
been but a few months in this country. No
native-born American has a better. After leav-
ing the army he spent a short time at Dixon,
Illinois, and arrived in Chicago in 1862.
He at once started in business manufacturing
cigars, locating first at No. 37 Kinzie Street. He
remained at this site until 1865. He then re-
moved to No. i$ l /2 North Wells Street, where he
continued the same line of business as before.
After a period of two years he moved again to
No. 105 East Kinzie Street, but the fire of 1871
turned him out of both home and business. He
was able to recover only a nominal amount of
insurance, and, removing his family to West
Chicago, he rented one-half of a store on West
Kinzie Street, where he began to build up again
the trade swept away when Chicago was de-
stroyed. He was at this location until 1873, when
he moved to No. 201 Milwaukee Avenue, and in
1888 removed to his present location, where he
has been since that date.
Mr. Hoffmann was engaged to Miss Anna S.
Larsen, who came on to Chicago from Denmark,
and they were married August 18, 1862. They
have a family of five children. They are: Kath-
rene (deceased); Catherine S., who is at home
with her parents; Ida T. , who is engaged in
teaching; Thomas C. , who died at the age of two
years; and L. Maria, who is a teacher of music.
Mr. Hoffmann is a firm believer in Democratic
principles and is active in party work. He was
elected county commissioner in 1876 and served
in that capacity until 1879. He then took a trip
to his native country, and on his return contin-
ued at his business.
He is one of the most interesting of our large
and highly respected Danish citizens, being the
founder of the Society "Dania," the great social
and charitable factor among the Danes of this city.
He is the last man living of the twelve who were
its original promoters, and it was due to his per-
sonal efforts that it reached its present prominence.
He is also one of the founders of the Danish
Lutheran Trinitates Church, which was the first
church established in Chicago. He is a Mason
of note, being a member of Hesperia Lodge No.
411, Washington Chapter No. 43, Siloam Coun-
cil No. 53, and Chicago Commandery No. 19.
Mr. Hoffmann occupies an enviable position
among his acquaintances and friends. He has
overcome many difficulties in business life and
has been enabled to help many of his fellow-
countrymen, besides being a loyal American citi-
zen from the moment he landed in this country.
FIELDSE was born January 31, 1844,
| / at Flekkefjord, in the northwestern part of
I tD Norway. Both his parents were natives of
the same place, and were of that hardy, virile
stock which has made the name of Norseman a
synonym for strength and endurance. They
were the parents of nine children, and lived to
celebrate their diamond wedding. Mr. Fieldse's
father, Peter Fieldse, died at the age of eighty-
five years, and his mother, whose maiden name
was Anina Jacobsen, at eighty-three, both pass-
ing away near the spot where they were born.
All their children grew to manhood and woman-
Nels Fieldse was the youngest. Until his
fifteenth year he attended the common schools,
and after passing through their various grades
was apprenticed to learn the trade of cabinet-
maker, the term of apprenticeship (as is usual in
Norway) being five years, with no more com-
pensation than mere subsistence. After becoming
a journeyman, young Fieldse, anxious to see
more of the world, set out for Copenhagen, and
afterward visited Breslau, Guttenburg and Berlin.
Returning to Norway, he remained at home for
about a year and a-half, when he determined
upon removing to Chicago.
He reached this city while the great fire of
October, 1871, was still raging. It was a time
when every variety of labor was in demand, and
he readily found work at his trade. For twenty
years he was thus employed, having been a fore-
man during a considerable portion of this period.
While serving in that capacity he fitted up the
First and Commercial National Banks, Spaulding
Brothers' store, the Metropolitan Business College,
the ceiling in the Cathedral of the Holy Name,
besides some other handsome interiors.
In 1891 Mr. Fieldse opened his present place of
business, at No. 398 West Chicago Avenue, which
he operates as proprietor, under the business
style of the West Side Mantel Company. He en-
joys the reputation of being one of the finest and
most artistic workmen in Chicago, and makes
specialties of handsome mantels, tilings, railings,
wainscotings, and other interior fittings.
He was married in Chicago May 3, 1873, to a
Norwegian young lady, Miss Nicolene Planting.