Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 94 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 94 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Five children have been born to them: Palmer,
Jennie (who is married to Nicholas Moe) , Harry,
Clara and Anton. With the exception of Mrs.
Moe and Harry, who is married, all are living at
home.

Mr. Fieldse is an active member of the follow-



ing organizations: Sons of Hermann, a German
order; Knights and Ladies of Honor; and the
Norwegian Glee Club. Of all of these bodies he
has been president, having filled that office in the
Sons of Hermann ten times, besides twice in the
Knights and Ladies of Honor, and six times in
the Glee Club.

His success has been extraordinary. Coming to
this city penniless, he has, through his own indus-
try, thrift and good judgment, built up a pros-
perous business and achieved an enviable reputa-
tion, not only as a skilled artisan, but as a man
of integrity and mental acumen. He is of a social
disposition and his home is a happy one. He
resides in a handsome three story and basement
brick house, which he erected in 1880.



ANTON ROHDE.



Gl NTON ROHDE, who has been a resident of
L_l Chicago over thirty years, and has risen to
/ I independence in the face of difficulties and
misfortunes, was born in Fredensborg, Denmark,
April 13, 1842. He is the youngest of three chil-
dren of Dr. Frederik and Ida Rohde and is
the only member of the family who has emigrated
to America. Frederik Rohde was a graduate of
the University of Copenhagen and practiced medi-
cine for many years. He and his wife passed
away many years ago.

After receiving an elementary training in the
public schools, Anton Rohde entered a drugstore
as clerk, where he remained four years and, at
the end of that time, had made considerable prog-
ress in the study of pharmacy. He then took
a course of two years in the University at Copen-
hagen, graduating in 1866. He was then quali-
fied to dispense drugs and at once accepted a
position in a drug store, and continued as drug
clerk in Denmark two years.



With a spirit of adventure natural to the pen-
insular kingdom, he resolved to seek advance-
ment in the newer country of America, and in
1868 made a journey across the Atlantic and on
to Chicago. As he was not familiar with the
language and customs of his adopted country, he
was not at once able to make use of his knowl-
edge of pharmacy, but spent one year in the
factory of Mahler & Chappell. Having learned to
speak English and having gained an acquaint-
ance in the city, he was able to secure a more desir-
able position and, during the next twelve months,
was engaged in the drug store of Emil Dreyer,
one of the most prominent Danes in Chicago at
that time and for some years Danish consul.

But his natural courage and energy were not
satisfied in serving others, and the next year,
1870, he opened a store of his own, at the corner of
Chicago Avenue and Sedgwick Street, where he
continued in business until the great fire swept
away his property, leaving him in discouraging



ADAM SAUER.



617



circumstances. Shortly after this catastrophe he
made a trip to the South, visiting Texas and
Cuba. His intentions were to settle in the
Danish island of St. Thomas, but he concluded
his means were not sufficient to make a satisfac-
tory beginning, so he crossed to New Orleans.
He was unable to secure any advantages there, so
he returned to Chicago and, borrowing capital,
again opened a pharmacy, this time at the corner
of Sedgwick and Oak Streets. He still had an
account of three hundred dollars with the whole-
sale druggists, Fuller & Fuller, which had been
made previous to the fire, but when he asked to
have this old account included in the new, they
made him a present of the amount by throwing
the bill in the waste paper basket. With an
entirely new stock, Mr. Rohde began business
again, but a short time after removed to Chicago
Avenue. A few months later he found his health
failing and disposed of his stock.

In 1872 he engaged in photography, though
at first he was only able to make a living. He
persevered, however, and after six years of hard
work began to accumulate some capital. With
his usual pride and energy he strove to become
proficient in his art and to please his patrons.
His work gradually increased in artistic merit



and his patronage grew in proportion. His work
is much admired, and at the photographer's con-
vention in Minneapolis, in 1888, he won a fine
medal for the finest display of photographs. He
opened his gallery at No. 90 West Ohio Street,
corner of Milwaukee Avenue, and is still located
at that number, being probably the only photog-
rapher in the city who has been in the same lo-
cation over twenty-five years. He is the oldest
photographer on the street where he is located.

In 1876 Mr. Rohde was married, in Chicago,
to Miss Augusta Traegarth, who was born in
Sweden and came to Chicago with her parents at
the age of two years. Her father, Sven Trae-
garth, was among the prominent citizens in Chi-
cago fifty years ago. Two children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Rohde, Ida and Sven, both
of whom reside with their parents.

The subject of this notice is connected with
several fraternal organizations. He has been a
member of Thorwaldsen Lodge, Knights of
Pythias, seventeen years. He is also a member
of the order known as the Dansk Brodersamfund.
With his brethren and among his acquaintances
and friends, he is ever found to be a polished
gentleman, and a genial and entertaining com-
panion.



ADAM SAUER.



Gl DAM SAUER, now deceased, was for many
LJ years a well-known business man in the
/ I northwestern section of Chicago. He was
born February 18, 1846, in the village of Lohne,
Kreis Fritzlar, Germany. His father was Martin
Sauer, who apprenticed him to a cabinet-maker,
after he had completed the curriculum of studies
taught in the school of his native village.



In 1865, having served the prescribed term of
apprenticeship, he came to Chicago, and here
obtained work at his trade from a Mr. Clark, in
whose employ he remained some five years. He
then formed a co-partnership with a brother-in-
law, and together they opened a grocery store on
Milwaukee Avenue near Chicago Avenue. The
business was not to Mr. Sauer's liking, and after



6i8



JOHN DE KOKER.



a few months he disposed of his interest therein
to his partner and returned as a journeyman to
Mr. Clark. Later he embarked for himself as a
saloon-keeper, continuing in that line of trade
until his death, which occurred September 24,
1886.

He was a man of sterling integrity and of a
genial, generous disposition. He was noted for
his public spirit, as well as for his genuine loyalty
to the country of his adoption. In politics he
was an ardent Republican and always au earnest
worker for his party's success. He was a mem-



ber of the Independent Order of Foresters and of
the Teutonic Singing Society. In religious faith
he was a Lutheran.

He was married, August 9, 1868, to Miss
Anna, daughter of Henry Hamil, a native of the
same German village as himself. A more ex-
tended notice of Mrs. Sauer may be found in the
biography of Mr. Hamil, which appears else-
where in this volume. The issue of the mar-
riage was three children, the eldest of whom is
deceased. Those yet living are: Alice S. and
Alma M., the latter the wife of Otto Nottelman.



JOHN DE KOKER.



(JOHN DE KOKER was born March 17, 1862,
I and is a son of Abraham and Martha (Mo-
G) balius) De Koker, the former a Belgian and
the latter a Hollander by birth. Both died in
Chicago. His father was one of the first settlers
of Chicago and one of the first carpenters in the
vicinity of Roseland, Pullman and Kensington.
Five of his children now reside in Chicago.

Abraham, the eldest, resides on a farm at De
Motte, Indiana. Mollie, who married John Oling,
an employe of the Illinois Central Railroad
Company, resides in Kensington. Jane married
Charles Fraatz, and died in 1892, leaving five
children. Cornelius, born April 13, 1856, con-
ducts a catering establishment at No. 6321 South
Park Avenue. March 3, 1879, he was married
to Miss Johanna, daughter of Peter Mack, and a
native of Holland. His children are: Peter,
Annie, Maud, Abram, Joseph and Cora. James
is a contracting carpenter, very successful in this
enterprise, and resides at No. 25460116 Hundred
Seventeenth Place. John is next in order of
birth. Jacob was born November 26, 1865, and
is occupied in the same business as his brother
Cornelius. He was married to a native of the



Netherlands, Miss Nellie Leits, and a daughter
of Jacob Leits. She was born in 1867, and her
children are accounted for as follows: Maud, born
in September, 1888, died in November of the
same year; Maud, another child of the same
name, was born in November, 1889, and died at
the age of seventeen months; Martin, born June
5, 1891, and Abraham, born May 27, 1894, re-
side in Chicago.

John De Koker attended school until he reached
the age of fourteen years, subsequent to which
time he was occupied in agricultural labors until
nineteen years of age. Being very energetic and
ambitious of character, he began the sale of fish
and vegetables, with a market in the town of
Pullman. After two years he began catching
fish for sale. In the spring of the year 1890 he
conceived success in another line of occupation
and established a saloon at the corner of One
Hundred Third Street and Wabash Avenue, a
very desirable location. He entered the build-
ing which he had erected for another, but in 1892
he changed his location to a building of his own,
at the comer of the same street and Michigan
Avenue. He remained there until May, 1895,






P. G. RUEHL.



619



when he removed to the northern part of the
state of Michigan. August 16, 1897, he returned
to Chicago and has since resided at the corner of
Ninetieth Street and Cottage Grove Avenue.

Conducive to a life of success and realized
ambitions through one's own efforts, is a worthy
and helpful life partner, such as Mr. De Koker
secured. He was married June 15, 1887, to Miss
Bertha, daughter of John Stall. Mrs. De Koker
was born in Holland and came to America when
she was quite young. She is the mother of six
very bright and attractive children: Maud, born



October 3, 1888; Abram, April 25, 1890; Jacob,
Novembers, 1891; Annie, in August, 1893; John,
April i, 1896; and Richard, March 5, 1898.

In the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Mr.
De Koker is a member of Fernwood Lodge No.
228. He is independent in his political views,
preferring to vote at all times for the man, rather
than for the furtherance of party. He has served
as judge of elections. By all men who have been
fortunate enough to make his acquaintance, Mr.
De Koker is regarded with respect and esteem,
and is recognized as a man of honor and integrity.



PAUL G. RUEHL.



RAUL GUSTAV RUEHL, belongs to the
yr great class of German- Americans which
1$ does so much for the upbuilding of the best
and most substantial businesses of the metropolis
of the west. He was born October 7, 1861, in
Wiesbaden, Germany, a son of Gustav William
and Minnie Byanky (Remmy) Ruehl.

The grandfather, William Ruehl, was in the
business of cutting and dealing in stone, which
was handed down to his sons. His children were:
William, Gustav, Carl, Alvina and Rose. None
emigrated from their native land except Gustav
William. Siegfried Retnmy, maternal grandfa-
ther, was a Frenchman and has five children.

Gustav William Ruehl died May i, 1871, and
his remains were interred at Waldheim Cemetery.
He was born August 23, 1829, in Wiesbaden,
Germany. He conducted a stone yard in his na-
tive land and followed the cut stone business in
the town of Wiesbaden, in partnership with his
brother, Karl. He left his family in Germany
and came to America in 1859. He came to Chi-
cago and established a business like the one he
left in Germany, and his stone yard was between
Polk and Harrison Streets, on the south branch



of the river. His partner was Mr. Reece. In
the year 1866 he sent for his family and sold his
interest in the business in the old country to his
brother.

His first extensive contract was for the old
Court House, on the North Side. He was the
first cut stone worker in Chicago, and had a
monopoly of the business for a long time. He
was practically an invalid the last four years of
his life, and lived retired. He lost all his ac-
cumulations in the fire of 1871. Mrs. Minnie B.
Ruehl, the mother of Paul G. Ruehl, died Jan-
uary 3, 1890. She was born February 23, 1829,
in Mentz, on the Rhine, German}'. Her chil-
dren were Paul Gustav and a daughter, Frances,
who was born July 14, 1853. She married Theo-
dore Onsweiler, a cattle dealer, and resides in
Wichita, Kansas. They have five bright, inter-
esting children.

Paul G. Ruehl attended public schools until he
reached the age of fourteen years. He was sub-
sequently employed two years at the store of
Marshall Field & Company and subsequently at
clerical labor in the postoffice six years. For
four years he conducted a billiard and pool hall



620



L. A. McDOLE.



at No. 2834 Union Avenue. He then entered
the police department, and was patrolman for a
period of nine years. He has since been one
year with the Union Stock Yards & Transit
Company.

Conducive to the success and happiness of a
man's whole life is a pleasant, congenial life
companion, such as Mrs. Ruehlhas proven. Mr.
Ruehl was married October 20, 1887, to Miss
Edith Sophia Ann, daughter of George Parker.
She was born in London, England, February 18,
1865, and came to America in 1869. The chil-
dren of Mr. and Mrs. Ruehl are as follows: Paul



William, born July 21, 1888; Ruby Sophia Ann,
September 2, 1891; William George Parker,
March 9, 1893; and Minnie Olive Belle, July 3,
1894.

Mr. Ruehl is connected with the Policemen's
Benevolent Association. He has served as judge
of election, and casts his vote in favor of the
Republican party. He is a worshipper in the
Baptist Church and sanctions any move for the
benefit of the people, and lends his influence, as
well as financial aid, to charity. Coming of a
very old and respected family, he is a credit to
the name he bears.



LEMUEL A. McDOLE.



I EMUEL ALEXANDER Me DOLE was
born Februarys, 1857. At the time of his
birth his parents, David and Catherine
(Emmy) McDole, resided at Newport, now
Maine City, Michigan.

The name was originally Dole, and the great-
grandfather of L- A. McDole emigrated from
France and settled in Vermont, marrying into a
family of Whitney s. His son, David McDole,
added the prefix to the name. He was born in
Vermont, where his parents were among the first
settlers. They later removed to Pappineauville,
province of Quebec, Canada, where David Mc-
Dole conducted a store. He married Miss Chloe
Carpenter and had children as follows: Alexan-
der, Lemuel, David, Cynthia, Fannie, Caroline
and Olive.

David McDole left Canada during the war of
1812 and fought with the United States as an
officer. The maternal grandfather of the man
whose name heads this article, Frederick Emmy,
came to America in 1840, and located in Detroit.
He came from Strassburg, Germany, a city lo-
cated on the Rhine River. His wife was a French



lady and their children were named: Frederick,
David and Catherine.

David McDole, son of David McDole, Senior,
was born June u, 1827, in Pappineauville,
Canada, and died May 17, 1898. His remains
were interred in Oakwoods Cemetery. In his
early manhood he removed to Oswego, New
York, and served an apprenticeship in Goodsell's
ship yards. He then located in Detroit, Michi-
gan, and was in the service of E. B. Ward until
1865, when he began contracting for himself.
At Newport, Michigan, he built the schooner,
' ' Meers, ' ' and many others. He built more lake
vessels than any other man and was part owner
in the schooner ' 'John Rice ' ' and old brig
"Prebel." In the spring of the year 1868 he lo-
cated in Chicago, in what is known as South
Chicago, where he made his home until his death.
He had charge of dock work for the Calumet &
Chicago Canal & Dock Company, under Charles
Mears, doing the first dock work in the imme-
diate vicinity.

He built the first schooner that entered the
harbor of Calumet, now South Chicago. He



CONRAD KNUTSEN.



621



later put in the slip at the Brown rolling mills
and completed the dock at Ninety-third Street.
In 1865 he fell off a tug, and in after years his
health was impaired by this accident, the fall
being a distance of thirty-seven feet. He was
known as one of the finest mechanics on the
lakes. The children of Mr. and Mrs. David Mc-
Dole were four in number. Charles Edward,
born January 12, 1854, resides in Chicago.
Lemuel A. is the next in order of birth. Olive
Rosaline married Gest Westfeldt; and Clara, the
youngest, married Harry Sellick. For his second
wife, Mr. McDole married Miss Mary Donaldson,
and her daughter, Ida, married Thomas Cart-
wright, who resides in Montana.

Lemuel A. McDole was educated in Maine City
Academy, attending until he was twelve years of
age. He then became occupied at packing
shingles, and subsequently worked in and around
ship yards until 1869, when he went to school in
South Chicago for a short time. After leaving
school he was in the same interest as formerly,
and went into the postal service under E. G.
Clark, the first postmaster in South Chicago, who
also owned and operated a coal yard.

After three years in this capacity his father
started a coal yard. The old Volunteer Fire
Company located in the vicinity, and L. A. Mc-
Dole took the engine out to the first fire, which
was the burning of the Casper House, across the
street. He subsequently for one year occupied
himself with the house moving business and for
the same length of time was engineer for his



father on the tug "Meteor." For a short time
he was on a pleasure boat, which had for its
course the distance between Harrison Street and
Lincoln Park. For a period of three years he
was engineer on the boat ' ' Pet, ' ' and took the
first vessel load of lumber into Calumet Lake.
He was in the government employ, being engin-
eer on a government launch for two years. In
1 88 1 he had charge of draining and putting in
the artifical lakes in Washington Park, being in
the employ of the Washington Park board until
1885, when he was made chief engineer of the
Standard Oil Company's plant, located at the
corner of Sixty-third Street and Prairie Avenue.
Until 1890 he was engineer for Martin Ryerson,
at No. 45 Randolph Street, after which he became
inspector of elevators and machinery for the
London Guarantee & Accident Company, with
which concern he is still identified.

Being very ambitious and energetic, Mr. Mc-
Dole succeeded in building a cottage at No. 6420
St. Lawrence Avenue, in 1888, which burned
and was replaced by a fine two-story brick house,
built in 1895. August 29, 1894, Mr. McDole
married Miss Charlotta Olive Heavens, daughter
of Frederick and Sarah Heavens. His wife was
born in Dixon, Illinois, and her only child, Fred-
erick, was born October n, 1897. The family is
connected with the First Baptist Church. Mr.
McDole' s father came of Protestant stock and his
mother of Roman Catholic. He is a truly con-
scientious man, enjoying the honor and respect
of all who meet him.



CONRAD KNUTSEN.



O ONR AD KNUTSEN is a native of Norway,
1 1 but has been a valued and respected citizen
\J of the United States for many years. He
was born at Bergen, Norway, July 5, 1860. His



father, Knut Knutsen, was a shoemaker, who
died in his native place at the age of fifty-seven.
The mother, Caroline Eriksen, a sturdy Nor-
wegian maiden, bore her husband six sons, of



622



MARTIN HANSEN.



whom Conrad is the oldest. Mrs. Knutsen is
still living in her native land, in a happy and
honored old age.

Young Conrad attended school until he was
fourteen years of age, although about one half his
time, after reaching the age of eleven years, was
devoted to learning the art of making fish hooks,
for which the fishing industries of the Scandi-
navian peninsula create a constant demand. He
believed, however, that the new world across
the water was full of promise, and in May, 1880,
he came hither. He went as far West as Iowa,
where, in Winneshiek County, he went to work
on a farm. Growing dissatisfied, he came to Chi-
cago, and here, for a time, he supported himself
by whatever labor he could find to do. Finally
he secured steady employment with the Babcock
Fire Extinguisher Company, and remained in the



employ of that concern nine years. By 1892 he
had managed to save enough capital to open a
yard for the sale of coal and wood. The venture
proved successful, and he has continued in the
business ever since, his present location being at
No. 972 North Robey Street.

In October, 1885, he married a young lady of
Chicago birth, but Scandinavian descent, Miss
Hannah Nielsen. Mrs. Knutsen is a daughter
of J. O. Nielsen, of Highland Park, who lays
claim to the distinction of being an old settler,
having resided there for some forty years. The
marriage has resulted in the birth of three chil-
dren, Henry, Cora and Ida.

Mr. Knutsen is a Forester, and a member of
the Scandinavian Society Nora and a Knight of
the White Cross. He is a Republican, but votes
rather for men that for partisan issues.



MARTIN HANSEN.



HANSEN has been a resident of
I Y I Chicago twenty years, and is well known
Ksl in the section of the city where he resides
and carries on business. He was born in Sweden,
June 9, 1861, the sixth of a family of nine chil-
dren, all except one of whom are (1899) yet
living. His father, Hans Hansen, a brickmaker,
and his mother, whose maiden name was Bata
Comeliesen, are still living in Sweden.

Martin left school at the age of sixteen years
and began active life as a baker's apprentice. He
did not complete his term, however, emigrating
to America when but nineteen years old. He
came to Chicago immediately after landing and
for six years worked at any honorable toil which
his hand could find to do. At the end of that
time, through industry, temperance and thrift, he
had accumulated enough to enable him to em-
bark in a small business on his own account. He



opened a restaurant at No. 194 Wells Street,
which he conducted three years. In 1894 he en-
gaged in the business of a butcher, opening a
meat market at No. 290 Milwaukee Avenue. The
venture proved so successful that he has since
opened a branch at No. 240 West Erie Street,
and now conducts both establishments. It is not
surprising that in looking back over his career
in Chicago Mr. Hansen feels pardonable pride in
reflecting that the poor boy of nineteen has
grown to be the prosperous business man of
thirty-eight, and that his success is due to him
self alone.

In 1887 he married Sophia Jensen, a lady born
in Denmark. She has borne him six children
Otto, Tillie, Lillie, Florence, Willbert and Irvin.
In politics Mr. Hansen is independent, prefer-
ring to exercise his own better judgment rather
than blindly follow party dictation.



LIBRARY

OF THE

VERSITY OF ILLI>



M. A. FARWELL.



623



MARCUS A. FARWELL.



IARCUS AUGUSTUS FARWELL.

well is the anglicized form of the Norman-
French word Fauvel. This fact suggests
antiquity of family origin. The Farwells, as con-
nected with the history of Great Britain, have
been chiefly conspicuous in Yorkshire. As re-
mote as the ancient days of King Edward I.
(A. D. 1280), Richard Farwell was united in
marriage to the heiress of Elias de Rillertone.
From that time forth the name appears in local
and state records in many honorable connections.

A descendant of this noble line, Henry Far-
well came to New England, where he was ad-
mitted as a freeman of Concord, Massachusetts,
March 14, 1639. He was the progenitor of
nearly all the American Farwells. Later in life
he removed to Chelmsford, Massachusetts, where
he died August i, 1670. He had a vigorous
posterity, scions of which were actively scattered
over the New England territory, as fast as new
settlements opened up. New Hampshire and Con-
necticut were especially early indebted to this
stock for valuable colonizers.

The first generations became quite distin-
guished as Indian fighters. In the various
Colonial, French, Indian, Revolutionary and
1812 Wars, the Farwells have been actively en-
gaged. As privates and officers they bear un-
blemished records.

Samuel Farwell came from England to Marble-
head, Massachusetts, some time between 1720
and 1740. He had three sons and several daugh-



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 94 of 111)