emigrated to America, but William is the only
one living in Chicago. They were named, re-
spectively: Christian, August, Charles, Hannah,
Gus, Ernestina, William and Minnie. Three of
these, Christian, Hannah and Minnie, are de-
Mr. Fischer was born August 15, 1841, and in
boyhood received the ordinary education given
by the parish schools of his native place. After
coming to Chicago he attended night school, with
a view to acquiring a better knowledge of the
English language and greater fluency in its use.
For a time after settling here he worked as a
laborer in mills, but in September, 1861, while
on a visit to his brother in Wisconsin, he enlisted
in the Union army, joining Company B, of the
Ninth Wisconsin Infantry Volunteers. He was
made a corporal, and during the last two years of
his service acted as bugler. He was a gallant
soldier, and participated in all the battles,
skirmishes and sieges in which his regiment was
engaged, some of the most noteworthy being Pea
Ridge, Cowskin Prairie, Vicksburg and Sabine
River. He was thrice wounded but never
seriously. In November, 1864, he was honor-
ably discharged at Milwaukee and returned to
From that time until 1882 he continued work-
ing in and around machine shops, and in the last-
mentioned year he was appointed a letter-carrier
6 3 8
A. C. WILSON.
in the city postoffice. This position he held until
1898, when he resigned. Since then he has en-
joyed a well-earned rest.
His first presidential vote was cast for Abraham
Lincoln, in 1864, and he has always continued to
support the policy and candidates of the Repub-
He has been twice married. His first wife was
Melusine Kruse, who was born at Addison, Du
Page County, Illinois. Their marriage was solem-
nized August 24, 1866, and was blessed with
twelve children, of whom five are yet living:
Ernst, Emma, Paul, Martha and Frank. Mrs.
Fischer died January 9, 1887. Three years later
(April ii, 1890) he led to the altar Mrs. Kath-
erine Luehr, the widow of Henry Luehr. Of the
issue of this marriage three are living, Henry
Emil and Adolph.
Mr. and Mrs. Fischer are consistent and
esteemed members of St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran Church, and are respected and loved
by a large circle of friends who know and appre-
ciate their unostentatious virtues and their gen-
ANDREW C WILSON.
Gl NDREW CHRISTENSON WILSON is the
I I second son and third child of John F. N.
/I Wilson, a noted educator in Bedehauus,
Schleswig, Denmark, where he was a teacher
twenty-eight years. He died there in 1898, at
the ripe age of sixty-eight years. His mother
was Bolette Andersen, whose family, father and
son, had lived upon the same ground three
centuries. She was born in 1830, and died in
1888. All their eight children are still living.
Four of them have made homes in America, and
three reside in Chicago, Andrew C., Julius P. C.
and John F. N.
The subject of this brief sketch was born in
Bedehauus, by Tondern, Schleswig, Denmark,
February 19, 1861. He attended his father's
school during boyhood, and, after acquiring the
rudiments of a sound education, served an ap-
prenticeship of three and one-half years at the
baker's trade with one master, and a little over
one year with another. In 1881, having reached
the age of twenty years, he came to America,
never ceasing his journey westward until reaching
Aurora, Hamilton County, Nebraska. He re-
mained there a year, and then came to Chicago.
After reaching this city he worked at his trade,
and then embarked in the grocery business, as a
trader on his own account, at No. 34 West Ohio
Street. For twelve years (1883 to 1895), he con-
tinued there in this line of merchandising, win-
ning the favor of his patrons through his correct
business methods and his unquestioned integrity.
In 1895 he erected a handsome three-story build-
ing at the corner of Maplewood Avenue and
Hifsch Street, on the first floor of which he con-
ducts his flourishing business.
Mr. Wilson's success is but one of the many
triumphs which numbers of his countrymen have
won in Chicago over adverse circumstances. Com-
ing, poor, to a strange land, he has hewed out
his own pathway to fortune by the force of his
own moral and mental powers.
In 1884 he 'was united in marriage to Miss
Christine Schmidt, a native of Denmark, who
had come to this country about a year before her
marriage. Their union has been blessed with
two children, Anna Maria and John Andrew.
In religious faith the family adheres to the Luth-
erau Church. Mr. Wilson is a stanch Republi-
can in political principle.
(From Photo by W. J. ROOT).
QHILIPP STEINMUELLER, who is deputy
yr factory inspector for the state of Illinois, is
K^ a pioneer of 1852, and a man of prominence.
He was born September 10, 1832, in the village of
Heuchelheim, near Giessen, Hessen-Darmsdat,
Germany, and is a son of Philipp and Katharine
Steinmueller, natives of the same locality.
Philipp Steinmueller, senior, was the father of
five daughters and three sons, namely: Jacob, of
No. 225 Dayton Street; Philipp; Katharine,
wife of Jacob Kroeck, of No. 223 Dayton Street;
Mary, who returned to Germany and died there;
Elizabeth, deceased, widow of Louis Rinn; Anna
Margarita, widow of Louis Kroeck and lives in
Chicago; Louis, of No. 343 Hudson Avenue;
and Anna, now Mrs. Bauman, of Decatur,
Illinois. The father died in 1887, at the age of
eighty-six years and six months and the mother
in 1883, at the age of seventy-seven years and
Philipp Steinmueller, junior, of this notice
after being educated in the public schools of his
native village, worked with his father at the
mason's trade until he emigrated. On April 27,
1852, he left his home and went to Meinz, on the
Rhine, from there to Rotterdam, from which
place he traveled to Hull and on to Liverpool,
England. There he took passage for America,
on the sailing ship "Argo," May 6, landing in
New York June 17. Two days later he pur-
chased tickets to Chicago. On reaching Buffalo
he was refused passage further and he was forced
to pay for his transportation the second time.
He reached Chicago June 30. He had a relation
living in Evanston and he walked to his home.
He found employment with Michael Weber,
near Rose Hill. When he arrived in Chicago he
had three cents in his possession and was four
dollars in debt. He at first worked for six dollars
per month, later being allowed nine dollars per
month. In the fall of the year that he came to
Chicago he worked for Page & Warner and
carried mortar to build the first court house.
Having a knowledge of plastering he was soon
promoted to a better position and his wages in-
creased. After working for wages a few years
he began, in 1857, to conduct a business on his
own account. He continued in this capacity
until 1860. In 1862 he was employed in the
postoffice until 1867. He resigned in 1868 and
accepted a position on the Board of Public Works,
which he occupied two years. In 1869 he re-
turned to the postoffice and remained one year.
He subsequently purchased a business on the
South Side and was burned out in 1871, when he
lost his residence on Goethe Street. He erected
a building on Lincoln Street, which he later sold,
and started a catering establishment and grocery
store on Sedgwick Street. In 1873 he sold this
and entered the Recorder's office and was
employed there during 1875 and 1876.
Mr. Steinmueller then purchased a grocery
store and after six months again sold out. He
spent two years in Texas, returning in 1878.
He established a restaurant and catering establish-
ment at No. 8 South Clark Street and six months
later sold out and removed to No. 45 North
Clark Street. He remained at this location until
1885. He retired for one year, when he resumed
his former business at the corner of Wells Street
T. A. NOBLE, M. D.
and Chicago Avenue. He continued there until
May i, 1891. The summer of this year he
visited Europe with his wife, returning for a
short time to his native place and thoroughly
enjoying the trip. On the election of Governor
Tanner he was appointed to his present position,
receiving his commission May 10, 1897. He has
taken a lively interest in the affairs of the Re-
publican party and at one time was supervisor of
the North Town. He has also attended many
Mr. Steinmueller is a member of Lessing
Lodge No. 557, Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons. He is also connected with Corinthian
Chapter No. 69, Royal Arch Masons. He was
married September 13, 1875, to Miss Erstina
Bernhart. They have no children. Mrs. Stein-
mueller's niece, Miss Martha Grebe, has been a
member of the household since she was seven
years of age and receives the same kindly treat-
ment that she would if their own daughter. Mr.
and Mrs. Steinmueller are members of the con-
gregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church,
located near their home.
THOMAS A. NOBLE, M. D.
'HOMAS A. NOBLE, M. D., was born
near Toronto, Canada, and reared in the
village of Maple, Ontario. He received the
common and high school education of his home.
His father was a merchant, but the son early de-
cided to enter upon the medical profession, and
graduated from the Toronto University of Medi-
cine with the class of 1888, receiving the medi-
cal degree. Not satisfied, he determined to sup-
plement this course with further studies in that
celebrated institution, the medical department of
the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, where he
completed the post-graduate course.
His first field of practice was as assistant to a
physician at New Cutnnock, Ayrshire, Scotland.
The practice here was that in and about a large
coal mining community, and cases in the mines
afforded him au extensive surgical practice, in
addition to his general practice. January i,
1892, he located at Harvey, thinking only that
he would remain during the World's Fair. A
handsome practice at once came to him and by
the close of the Fair his business had assumed
such proportions that he felt the sacrifice would
be too great if he removed to other regions. In
every respect his relations to the people of
Harvey have been so pleasant and so many warm
friends have been made that the ties of both busi-
ness and friendship are constantly growing
Dr. Noble stands high in the esteem of those
of the medical profession and is a member of the
Association of Railway Surgeons. He is the local
surgeon of both the Grand Trunk and the Illi-
nois Central Railroads. While enjoying a wide
and lucrative practice, the doctor is closely identi-
fied with the people in many social and public
respects, being interested in every move that
tends to the advancement of the community.
He is a Republican, though not identified with
official position, preferring to refrain from acquir-
ing a reputation as a politician.
He is a Free Mason, a Knight of Pythias, a
member of the Royal Arcanum, Royal League,
Home Forum Benefit Order and Fraternal Tri-
bunes. No man stands higher in the estimation
of the citizens, every one according him the palm
of being a royal good fellow. A close student
of his profession, he keeps abreast of modern
investigation and medical thought, and while he
is not given to display of knowledge, his diag-
nosis of cases is generally accepted by his medi-
cal brethren, with all of whom he is courteous
and for whom he has but words of commenda-
tion. Dr. Noble has not as yet taken to him-
self a permanent companion, but it is not for lack
of mutual admiration between himself and the
GlUGUST STEINER. The world owes a
M great debt of gratitude to its few men whose
/ I application to the development of an idea,
under the most adverse circumstances, has finally
contributed to the material progress, thus adding
to the sum of human happiness and enlarging
the wealth of the world. Such a man is he whose
life we are attempting to review. Naturally of a
mechanical turn of mind, at an early age he be-
gan to develop that faculty and served a regular
training in the shops of his native country
Wurtemberg, Germany, where he was born April
15, I 32.
In 1854 he came to America, settling in
Thornton Station, now Homewood. He found
employment in Scovell's Locomotive Works at
Chicago, and for some years worked in similar
shops through various western states and territo-
ries. In 1859 he started at Homewood, a black-
smith, wagon, and plow shop, and soon built up
a large and lucrative business. His plows proved
so satisfactory to the farmers that their manufact-
ure grew to be an important industry, and they
were widely and favorably known.
In 1880 he purchased the flouring mill at
Homewood, which he overhauled, converting it
into a modern roller- process mill, of seventy-five
barrel capacity. He continues to operate this
property, but at the same time his inventive
brain has been busy along other lines. A prac-
tical farmer, he well knew the labor involved in
the harvesting of the immense corn crop of this
country and knew that no one machine would
contribute so much to the saving of labor as one
that would harvest the crop, dispensing with the
slow and laborious process of hand husking.
Accordingly, after repeated attempts and failures,
he produced a small hand husking machine,
which he had patented and which, intended to
fasten to the side of a wagon, proved a success,
but it went only part way. He was constantly
experimenting, making, however, but slow prog-
ress, to produce a horse-power machine.
Finally, after years of trial and experiment, in-
volving great expense and disappointment, in
1891 he succeeded in more nearly realizing his
ambition, and knew that final success was in his
grasp. The invention, however, demanded many
changes and further improvement, and it was five
years before he produced the machine that he
knew would do the intended work.
In 1897 he placed several machines on the
market and these were eagerly bought by large
farmers, who had looked and hoped for years for
a machine that would perform this tedious and
laborious farm work. Credentials from these en-
thusiastic farmers speak in no uncertain terms of
the success achieved and testify to the value of
the machine and the great boon that has been
conferred upon the agriculturist. The machine
takes up a row of corn, strips off the ear, which
is then denuded of the husk and elevated to a
wagon which is alongside. The stalks are left in
the field and in much better condition for food for
the stock than when the corn is husked by hand.
The machine has a capacity of twelve acres
C. M. BOBERG.
per day, and facilities for its manufacture on a
large scale are completed and it will come into
extensive use on the large corn growing farms of
the West. Mr. Steiner has not been alone in ex-
perimenting along this line. Many inventors
have turned their genius in this direction and
several large manufacturers of harvesting machin-
ery have used sometimes questionable efforts to
secure the principle used by Mr. Steiner, aud
have even infringed upon his patents in their
anxiety to place a machine on the market.
While the above mechanism is the crowning piece
of Mr. Steiner's inventive faculties, he has pro-
duced other valuable patents, one being the
machine for tying wire used in bailing, boxing
and so forth. This he sold to his profit, to the
Washburn-Moen Company, who have put it
into extensive use.
A careful investor and manager of business in-
terest, Mr. Steiner has accumulated a handsome
property and owns valuable farm lands, some of
which he operates. In many respects he stands
as one of the influential and progressive citizens of
Homewood. He is not an aspirant for public
honor, though his friends have often sought his
services in connection with direction of the
schools, trustee of the township or highway
In 1861 Mr. Steiner was united in marriage to
Miss Eliza Knapwurst, also of German birth.
Their family consisted of: August, junior, who
died May 15, 1894, at the age of twenty-eight,
Carl, Henry, Eliza and Minnie. Reared in
the church of his fathers, the German Lutheran,
Mr. Steiner has ever taken a warm and active
interest in it, as well as in all those elements of
social and religious development that tend to
advancement of individual and public progress.
CHARLES M. BOBERG.
[7JHARLES MAGNUS BOBERG, who is
I ( among the retired business men and the
\J most prominent of his race in the city of
Chicago, was born April 22, 1831, in Stockholm,
Sweden. He is a son of Hendrich and Anna
Louise (Ponsbach) Boberg.
Hendrich Boberg died in 1835, at the age of
thirty-six years. His worthy wife and helpmate
died June 14, 1878, having been born October 18,
1807. Her children were named: Hilda Louise,
Emma Johanna Theresa, Charles Magnus, Anna
Marie and Edward Henry. The last-named of
these came to America during the Civil War. He
enlisted aud was killed in battle, fighting for the
country in which he had lived such a short time,
and of which he knew comparatively nothing.
How many men of the present day would be will-
ing to do as much?
Charles M. Boberg reached New York January
4, 1870, and began to work at his trades, those of
carpenter and painter. In May, 1880, he re-
moved to Chicago, subsequently again removing
to northern Michigan, where he engaged in the
lumber business. In 1886 he returned to Chi-
cago and since that time has been practically
retired. In 1887 he erected his present residence,
at No. 1 145 Sixty-sixth Street, living quietly and
at peace with the world.
Mr. Boberg was married February 24, 1886, to
Miss Anna Nelson, daughter of Nels and Anna
(Hansen) Anderson. Mrs. Boberg was born
November 22, 1841, in Skona, Sweden. She
makes an admirable helpmate and is beloved by
her worthy husband, who is one of the most
highly honored of the citizens of that portion of
the city and is a man with whom anyone may be
COL. C. E. SHELHAMER.
proud to be connected. He is a Republican as
to his political views and is valuable to the party,
as his influence is great among those who know
him, being a man of stability and strength of
principle. He cherishes the faith of the Lutheran
Church, as does his wife, and he is a supporter
of Swedish societies of that sect in the city of
COL. CHARLES E. SHELHAMER,
EOL. CHARLES EDMUND SHELHAMER
is a highly respected citizen and a well-known
and active worker in Grand Army circles.
He had the blood that made a soldier during the
perilous days of our Civil War. When a lad in
years and with beardless face he volunteered his
services in response to the country's call, and
with the bravery of a man of mature years went
forth in defense of his flag, to help uphold the
honor of his land. He is a native of Luzerne
County, Pennsylvania, and was born June 30,
1848. He passed his boyhood there, and at the
age of seven years, in 1855, his parents removed
to Chicago, which city was then a small prairie
town with only a few thousand people. In the
public schools he was instructed in the element-
ary branches, which was all the education he
was ever able to acquire. He was patriotic to a
large degree and his boyish dream and ambition
was to be a soldier.
In January, 1864, he enlisted in Company E,
Seventy-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He
was taken to Camp Yates, where for six weeks
he acted as assistant hospital steward and then
joined his regiment in the field, then attached to
the Second Division, Seventeenth Army Corps,
and was subsequently transferred to the Fourth
Army Corps, which was commanded by General
Thomas, the "Rock of Chickamauga." Although
entering the war at a comparatively late period,
he participated in as many engagements as many
others who saw three or more years of service.
In all he participated in sixteen engagements,
and at Island No. 10 received his baptismal fire.
At the time of the occurrence he was on a boat
en route for the location of his regiment. Among
other engagements in which he took part may be
mentioned Jackson, Mississippi; Corinth, Jeff
Davis Plantation, Columbia, Spring Hill, and
Franklin, Tennessee. In the last-named en-
gagement he received a wound in the head and
was reported missing, but turned up after thirty-
six hours, in time to share in the decisive and
bloody battle of Nashville. His regiment was
subsequently sent to New Orleans and in the
campaigning that followed he fought at Smith's
Point, Spanish Fort, Fort Blakely and Mobile,
and the many sharp encounters that were fought
between the last-mentioned place and Mont-
gomery, Alabama. His regiment was at the
close of the war sent to Vicksburg, Mississippi,
where it was mustered out of service. His ambi-
tion to be a soldier had been thoroughly grati-
fied and he had proven faithful at all times.
Upon his return to civil life he settled in
Chicago, where for a number of years he car-
ried on a grocery and market business. He
has also been active in other lines of employ-
ment. Mr. Shelhamer is a charter member of
Gen. Silas Casey Post No. 555, Grand Army of
the Republic, in the organization of which he
took an active part. In the offices of the post
he has creditably filled the positions of senior
vice commander, adjutant and quartermaster.
He is active in all Grand Army work, being a
potent factor in pushing any enterprise calculated
F. J. O. TURN.
to bring the organization to the highest state of
efficiency. In 1898 he was appointed colonel on
the staff of State Commander General Shimpff.
He is a member in good standing in Myrtle
Lodge No. i , Knights of Pythias. He is a stanch
Republican and takes an active part in local af-
fairs. He was married in Chicago in 1871 to
Miss Elizabeth Milligan, who is the mother of
two children, Helen and Agnes, two charming
young ladies of culture and pleasant personalities.
Mrs. Shelhamer vies with her husband in further-
ing the usefulness of the Grand Army organiza-
tions. She is president of the Silas Casey Relief
Corps, being one of its active charter members.
Altogether she has served as president of this lodge
four years and has also filled many minor offices
of the corps, which now boasts sixty-seven mem-
bers in good standing. The corps is among the
best in the city, having made for itself under the
administration of its cheerful workers a reputa-
tion more than local. In this connection it may
with appropriateness be stated that to Mrs.
Adam Hutchinson belongs much of the honor
of bringing of the corps to its present state of
perfection. Her husband was a gallant soldier
in the Civil War and is one of the seventeen men
who tunneled beneath the walls of Libby Prison
Mr. Shelhamer is a son of Abraham W. and
Margaret (Eyre) Shelhamer, natives of Pennsyl-
vania, the former of French and the latter of
English descent. His father was a member of
the same regiment and company as himself, and
they enlisted at the same time. His father be-
came hospital steward at Camp Yates and later
was sent toVicksburg, Mississippi, where he died
in one of the hospitals of that town, an hour or
two after hearing of his son's wound, received at
Franklin. He was a flouring mill operator at
Kankakee, Illinois, and during much 'of the war
period supplied flour on contract. Mrs. Shel-
hamer is a daughter of Edward and Helen
(McCullough) Milligan, natives of Scotland and
eminently worthy and respectable people. Upon
coming to America they first settled in Geneva,
New York, and in 1855 came to Chicago, where
both died, she in 1856, while he survived his
wife until 1892. Mr. Milligan had reached the
age of eighty-three years at the time of his death.
He was a man typical of the ' 'Land of the This-
tle," stanch in character, of rugged honesty and
Mrs. Shelhamer partakes of her father's char-
acteristics. She is a pleasant and entertaining
conversationalist, well informed and a model mis-
tress in her home.
FREDERICK J. O. TURN.
I"" REDERICK JONAS OLOF TURN. Many
fft of the most sturdy and influential of our
| younger citizens to-day boast either Scandin-
avian birth or parentage. The Swedish-born of
the citizens of Chicago help to make up the
strongholds and do much for the promotion of the
best interests of our people and the nation. They