John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 98 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 98 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

are a race who are dauntless and never-failing,
and give up to nothing which can be conquered

by man. Quiet and firm, as a rule they create
little whirl, but are decisive in their actions to
the end. Frederick J. O. Turn was born May 3,
1873, in the city of Westervik, Sweden, and his
parents were John and Christina Josephina (San)

Mr. Turn reached Chicago in April, 1893, and
has followed the occupation of stone-cutter,
being very competent at his chosen trade. He



was married in the year 1897, to Maria Johan-
na Swenson. Mrs. Turn is a daughter of Olof
and Johannah (Helsing) Swenson, and was born
August 6, 1873, on a farm near the city of Kris-
tinehamn, Sweden. Her father was a tiller of
the soil, as was his father before him. Mr. and
Mrs. Turn have one child, born June 10, 1898,
and named Edna Holda Johanna.

Mr. Turn is still a young man and has not

resided in Chicago many years, but is fast becom-
ing accustomed to the ways of our people and
moves among them in such a manner that none
could ascertain his nationality without the neces-
sary information from his own lips. He promises
to become one of the prominent and influential
movers among our citizens, as he shows a remark-
able interest in the welfare of all those about


among the prominent citizens of the
portion of Chicago in which he resides, is
also well known among Free Masons. He was
bora June 23, 1849, in Bedford County, Tennes-
see, and is a son of John and Marie (Blackwell)

He was born in slavery and was owned first by
Smith Arnold, and later was transferred to Wil-
son Arnold. After four years with the last-men-
tioned, he was taken by George Cunningham
two years, later by James Sowell one year and
then was owned by William McClain. After one
year with Mr. McClain, the Civil War being in
progress, he ran away and entered the Union
lines at Duck River Station, Tennessee. He met
a Union officer, Samuel Adams, who was first
lieutenant of Company F, One Hundred Fifth
Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and went with him
to Nashville, as body servant. This was in the
fall of the year 1862, and in the fall of the next
year he went with his brother in business at
Nashville. His brother, John Quincy Adams
Arnold, had engaged in business before that
time, and Moses A. Arnold was with him until
1865. It was here that he received his first
wages and education. In 1864 he attended pub-

lic school eight months and studied under an
officer's wife, later attending night school in

In 1865 Mr. Arnold removed to Chicago and
after a few days in this city went to Huntley,
Illinois, where he worked for Sam Adams as a
shepherd. He returned to Chicago and was em-
ployed by John Adams, who had a market on
Lake Street, corner of Clinton Street, from Octo-
ber, 1865, until March, 1866. March 26, 1866,
he went into the Sherman House as waiter and
remained thus occupied until 1870. He then
went back to Tennessee to look for his parents
and, after finding them, placed them in a home
and returned to Chicago. He was again em-
ployed at the Sherman House and remained until
the Grand Pacific Hotel was opened, May i,
1873, continuing there until May i, 1895. He
was laundryman twenty-two years at the Grand
Pacific and for nine years carver. He is now
special police and watchman at the colored peo-
ple's Baptist Church, which is at the corner of
Twenty-seventh and Dearborn Streets.

In 1887 Mr. Arnold built a residence at No.
6730 Champlain Avenue, where he has since
lived. He was married May 24, 1874, to Miss
Mary Lane. She was born at Kamy Springs,



Marshall County, Tennessee, and her children
are as follows: Marie Delilah, who died at the age
of thirteen years and five mouths; Emily; John
and Eler Frank. The last-named died young.
Mrs. Mary (Lane) Arnold had one child by her
first marriage, which was to Harry G. Hudson
(for further mention of whom see biography of
Harry G. Hudson). Mrs. Arnold died June 20,

Mr. Arnold was married the second time, June
10, 1894, to Mary Payne, who was born in March,
1859, in Nashville, Tennessee. Moses A. Ar-
nold was made a Master Mason in Mt. Hebron
Lodge No. 29, and is connected with St. Luke's
Chapter No. 5. He has taken the thirty-third
degree in -Masonry, and is connected with St.
George Commandery No. 4, and the Arabic
Mystic Shrine. In masonry he served as tyler
eighteen months in the lodge of which he is a
charter member and filled all the offices of the
chapter. He was senior warden one year, treas-
urer the same length of time, and master two
years. In the commandery he has served in all
offices except Generalissimo and Captain Gen-
eral. In Scottish Rite masonry he was Hos-
pitaler in second and fourteenth degree.

Mr. Arnold has been a member of the colored
Baptist Church since 1866 and has been deacon
since 1874. He was chairman of the board ten
years and trustee one year, being treasurer for

the same length of time. He is interested in the
affairs of the Republican party, and uses his influ-
ence in behalf of the same, but never seeks pub-
lic favor in the form of any office. Mr. Arnold's
father came to live with him and died here in
April, 1894, at the a S e of eighty-three years.
His mother died in Shelbyville, Tennessee, in
1875, at the age of about seventy-five years.

The maternal grandfather of Mr. Arnold was
Andrew Fogaman, who was born in Maryland, a
free man. He served as teamster in the War of
1812 and in the Mexican War, and died at the
age of one hundred eight years, his remains being
interred at Bellbuckle, Tennessee. His wife, Han-
nah Fogaman, was also born a free woman, but
was kidnapped and taken South into slavery.
Her husband followed her and remained with her
until her death, and her body was interred at
Sinking Creek, Tennessee.

The father of Mr. Arnold was born in Virginia
and his ten children were as follows: Hannah,
Caroline, Renna, Harriet, Andrew, Jacob, Moses
and three others. Mr. Arnold, of this sketch,
was the youngest of his father's family. He is
well known among his friends and acquaintances
as an honorable and upright man, a follower in
the path of right and one who will win respect and
recognition to the end of his days. He is beloved
by his brethren in the church and in his family
his word is law and his name shown deference.


Gl UGUST GUSTAFSON, who is one of Chi-
I I cage's worthy and prominent citizens, was
/ I born July 4, 1860, in the village of Sjokumla,
Osterjutland, Sweden. He is one of that nation
of hardy constitutions, stanch minds and sterling
characters, which make the man fitted for the
moral and physical battles of life. His parents

were Gustav and Gustava (Anderson) Anderson,
and the children of the family of Gustav Ander-
son's parents were named: Pryts, Oak, Brodd
and Gustav.

Gustav Anderson was born October 25, 1827, in
Sweden. He was a carpenter contractor. Mrs.
Anderson was born October n, 1825, and died





July i, 1897. Her children are named: Carl
John, Matilda, Edla, August, David (who died
at the age of three years), David (who resides
in Chicago), Joseph, who died at the age of three
months; and Edla, who married Carl Magnuson
and lives in Kansas City.

August Gustafson came to Chicago April 25,
1880, having learned the trade of carpenter in his
native land. He was employed at his trade in
the Rodling Stock Repair Shops, and remained
but two months. He then became occupied a
short time at house building for Mr. Magnuson,
but subsequently entered the shops of the Garden
City Type Company, serving two years. After
spending a short time with a contractor, he re-
turned to the employ of the last-mentioned com-
pany, being occupied in this capacity for five
years. He is at the present time with R. & S.
Sollitt, located at the corner of Dearborn and

Madison Streets. Having been very successful
and thrifty, he was able, in 1896, to erect a resi-
dence at No. 6608 Langley Avenue.

Mr. Gustafson was married August 23, 1883,
to Louise, daughter of Andrew and Annie Louise
(Swanson) Boberg. Mrs. Gustafson was born
May 30, 1862, in Sweden, and came to America
in 1882. Her children are as follows: Esther
Louisa, born November 25, 1884; Elsie Matilda,
May i, 1886; and August Robert, July 25,

Mr. Gustafson joined Apollo Court No. 96,
Independent Order of Foresters, in 1889. He is
not a party man, in political questions, but votes
for the man rather than to be prejudiced by party
tenets. He is a man of high principles and
strength of character, honored and respected by
all who become acquainted with his straightfor-
ward manner.


HARLES KOTZENBERG was for several
( years a conspicuous figure in the vicinity of
\J the Union Stock Yards of Chicago and
prominent among business men of that locality.
He was born January 29, 1845, at Essen Amt
Wittlage, near Osnabrueck, Prussia. He was a
son of William Henry and Katharine Kotzen-
berg, both members of very old and prominent
families. William H. Kotzenberg was a mer-
chant, and both he and his wife died in the vil-
lage where Charles was born. Of their family
only Rudolph and Charles came to America,
the former dying two years after his arrival, in
1885. Charles received a good education in his
native place and studied pharmacy, graduating
from the University of Osnabrueck.

In the spring of 1864 he came to the United
States and remained a short time in New York,

before going west. Later he went to Arcadia,
Missouri, where he was employed in the high
school as teacher of languages and music for
about a year. He drifted to New Orleans, and
being out of employment and money, he enlisted
in the United States army. After the fire of
1871 he came to Chicago November i, with the
Eighth United States Infantry, as hospital
steward. April 29, 1872, he married Miss Mary,
daughter of Joseph and Margaret Oswald, very
old pioneers of Chicago.

Accompanied by his young wife he started
west, after his marriage, with the regiment, con-
tinuing to Utah. After spending a couple of
months there they went to Fort Bridger, Wyom-
ing Territory. His time of service expired May
8, 1874, and returning to Chicago, Mr. Kotzen-
berg established a small drug store at the Union



Stock Yards. Being a very enterprising and
ambitious man, he succeeded in the business
which he started, and soon became enabled to
begin the manufacture of paints and oils and
carried on a wholesale as well as retail trade.
By strict attention to all the details of his busi-
ness and fair and courteous treatment of his cus-
tomers he accumulated a valuable property. In
politics he was a Democrat and prominent in the
party organization. In 1884 he was candidate
for county commissioner, but suffered defeat with
the rest of the party. He was three times elected
assessor of the Town of Lake and faithfully dis-
charged the duties of that office. He acquired
the distinction of being the "people's assessor"
and his work in that office was highly appreciated,
as was attested by his re-election by large ma-
jorities. He was a generous wholesouled man,
who had as many friends as acquaintances. In
social and fraternal societies he took a lively in-
terest. He was a charter member of Mizpah

Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, a
member of Chicago Chapter, Royal Arch Masons,
and Apollo Commandery, Knights Templar, and
of the Mystic Shrine, the Rising Star and the
Ancient Order of United Workmen.

In 1890 he built the beautiful residence on the
corner of Garfield Boulevard and Peoria Street,
now occupied by his widow and family. He was
a great lover of his home and family and in his
domestic life was exceedingly happy. He died
October 8, 1892. To Mr. and Mrs. Kotzenberg
were born nine children, three of whom died in
childhood. Those living are: William Joseph, a
pharmacist, now a member of the First Illinois
Volunteer Infantry; Katharine, wife of Walter
C. Sanger, of Milwaukee; Mary H., wife of
Tracy Holmes, of Chicago; Bertha, Charles G.
and Thomas. Mrs. Kotzenberg and family are
members of the Roman Catholic Church of Visit-
ation, and are held in high esteem by those in
the community in which they live.


the most active of citizens of the United
States since the time he adopted it for his
country. He was born in 1843, in the city of
Dort, Holland, and his parents were John Arie
and Mary (Van Ripe) Steenbergen. Arie Steen-
bergen, brother of the man whose name heads
this article, was the first of his father's family to
emigrate from his native land, and he located in
Roseland, Illinois, and now lives at Harvey. In
1855 the remainder of the family, including the
parents and four children, followed. The children
were as follows: John, Nellie, Bastian and Peter.
The last-named is constable at Kensington, and
John also resides in that locality.

Bastian Steenbergen concluded, at the age of

sixteen years, to strike out for himself, and he
left the Steenbergen farm, near Riverdale, which
was known as the Pullman Dairy Farm, at that
age. He then started to follow the life of a sailor
on the schooner "George F. Foster" under Cap-
tain Smith. He was second officer for some time
on the schooner "Dray ton," and the bark "Sam-
uel B. Ward." In 1871 he left the lakes and
began the occupation of butcher, at the Union
Stock Yards, being employed successively by
several firms. He is at present with Nelson
Morris, having been with him since 1891.

Mr. Steenbergen built a residence at No. 6720
Cottage Grove Avenue in 1890, and has since
resided at this location. He was married Novem-
ber 18, 1871, to Zwaana Vogel. Mrs. Steenber-



gen is a daughter of William and Petronella
(Blokland) Vogel, and was born October 20,
1848, in Nodlos, Holland. She came to America
in 1852. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Steen-
bergen are as follows: Mary, born July 28, 1872;

Nellie May, May 21, 1874; John Arthur, July 28,
1880; and Grace, November 14, 1883. Mr.
Steenbergen and his family are members of the
Dutch Reformed Church, and he is a Republican
in politics.


most successful and popular business men
of Chicago, was taken from the midst of
his family, friends and business associates by
accidental drowning October 9, 1897. He was
born January 28, 1853, in the city of Joliet, and
was among the native sons of the city who have
contributed much to her commercial and moral
development. His father, John Dillon, was
among the pioneers of Illinois, and was mayor of
Joliet early in the history of that city.

The subject of this sketch received his higher
education at Notre Dame University, graduating
from that institution at the early age of nineteen
years. He early developed a talent for business,
and began his career, after graduation, as book-
keeper for the Chicago firm of Duraud & Com-
pany. On leaving this employment he acquired
an interest in a distilling firm, which was then
known as Kavanaugh, Oliver & Dillon. This
connection continued until 1880, when Mr. Dillon
withdrew to become associated with Andrew
Riley, of Omaha, Nebraska, in the operation of
an extensive distillery in that city. In 1891 he
sold out this interest and returned to Chicago.
Resuming an interest in his former business in
this city, he was elected president of the firm of
Kavanaugh & Company, which position he held
at the time of his untimely demise.

Mr. Dillon was married in Omaha, November
26, 1884, to Miss Sadie A. Riley, daughter of
Thomas J. Riley, of the wholesale distilling firm

of Riley Brothers, of that city. Besides his
widow, Mr. Dillon left two children Mary
Liguori and Thomas Andrew Dillon to mourn
an irreparable loss. These children are being
carefully reared and educated by an intelligent
and capable mother and will, no doubt, prove a
credit to the name they bear.

Mr. Dillon suffered from ill health some time
before his death and had visited the mineral
springs at West Baden, Indiana, in hope of re-
covery through their medicinal virtues. Two
days after his return, while walking alone on
the breakwater at the foot of Ontario Street,
during a high gale, he was accidentally swept
from his footing and perished many hours before
the fact became known. He was an exemplary
gentleman, of large benevolence and wide popu-
larity. His place in the circles which he graced
and honored can never be filled. As a neighbor,
associate, husband and father, he was deeply
lamented, and his memory will ever be fondly
cherished. He was a conspicuous member of the
Notre Dame Alumni, the Chicago Athletic Club
and of Holy Name Cathedral of the Roman
Catholic Church, in all of which organizations
his absence is deeply felt.

Thomas J. Riley was born in Honesdale,
Wayne County, Pennsylvania, in which place
his mother still resides, at the venerable age of
eighty years. His ancestors were among the
early settlers of eastern Pennsylvania. Mr. Riley
became a resident of Omaha, Nebraska, in 1856,



was elected sheriff of Douglas County in 1862
and served in that important and responsible po-
sition eight consecutive years. In the early days
of this frontier river town, the office of sheriff
was no sinecure. His wife, Anna Theresa Riley
(no relative), was born in Tralee, County Kerry,
Ireland, and came to America with a brother in
1855, and was married to Thomas J. Riley at
Omaha. They are the parents of seven children.
The eldest son, Frank J. Riley, enlisted as a
private in Company F, Second Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, for service in the war with Spain and
died in the service, of typhoid pneumonia, at
Camp Cuba Libre, near Jacksonville, Florida,

July 4, 1898. Thus perished in the flower
of youth one who was willing to give his life for
the liberty of others. It was a most noble sacri-
fice, and his name will ever be numbered among
the heroes who promptly responded to the call
for troops to compel Spain to liberate the oppressed
Cubans from a bondage worse than serfdom.
Whether the effort was successful or not, no
prouder eulogy can be given to a soldier than the
fact that he sacrificed his life to ensure liberty to
others. Young Riley was buried with military
honors at Jacksonville, and his body will ulti-
mately be taken to Omaha and deposited in Cal-
vary Cemetery.


LJ retired, is an honored pioneer of Chicago.
/I He was born July 29, 1833, in Kurssen,
Hessen-Cassel, Germany, and is the youngest
son of John Andrew and Margareta Zeis, who had
four children, the first of whom, Andrew, died
when he was but a small child. The oldest
daughter married, but died in Middletown, New
York, leaving no family. Falden died in Ger-
many. John Andrew Zeis served in the German
army and fought against Napoleon, dying in the
army, when his son, Andrew R. of this sketch,
was but thirteen years of age. Mrs. J. A. Zeis
died in Chicago in 1870.

Andrew R. Zeis was thrown upon his own re-
sources at a very early age and was forced to
make his own way in the world. His education
was limited, as he had to divide his time between
work and obtaining knowledge. He served a
regular apprenticeship at the trade of knifesmith,
at which he worked while in the Fatherland.
May 10, 1851, with his mother and sister and
mother-in-law he sailed from Bremen, and after

fifty-two days landed in New York, where his
sister and her husband remained. Andrew R.
and his mother traveled on to Milwaukee, arriv-
ing at that city July 14. His first occupation
was on a farm twenty-one miles from that city,
to which place he walked, in search of work.

He was employed at this location two and one-
half months at six dollars and one- half per
month. He then returned to Milwaukee and
secured a position with a blacksmith at four dol-
lars per mouth. He came to Chicago October 14,

1851, and his first employment was with a black-
smith on Randolph Street, where the Sherman
House now stands. He worked until February,

1852, receiving for his services his board and
three dollars in counterfeit money. For two
weeks after he carried water for his board. He
then secured a position in the reaper works of
Mr. McCormick, receiving seventy-five cents per
day at the start. By 1856 he had saved some
money and was induced to go to Minnesota to
take up a land claim, but the venture proved a
failure and he returned to Chicago after losing



his savings, and entered the employ of the
Galena Railroad Company as blacksmith helper.
He received a dollar and twelve and one-half
cents per day at first and his salary was later
raised to a dollar and twenty-five cents per day.
After a year and one-half he returned to the
employ of McCormick. In all, he worked for the
last-named man nine years and he changed to the
service of Green Brothers, then the Northwestern
Manufacturing Company. He began his term of
service with this concern receiving a salary of a
dollar and one-half per day and his wages were
increased, unsolicited by him, until at the end of
five years, when he left the service, he was work-
ing for three dollars and a quarter per day. The
fact just related is enough to show in what high
appreciation his services were held by his em-

In 1867 Mr. Zeis established a grocery and
saloon business on his own account at No. 386
North Avenue and prospered at this location
until the fire of 1871, when his property was de-
stroyed and he received only thirty-five dollars
insurance from the North Side Mutual Insurance

Company. He rebuilt after the fire, and con-
tinued until 1 88 1, when he sold out. He was
subsequently in occupancy of a position in the
postoffice for four years and four months. In 1884
he built his present pleasant residence at No. 23
Lane Court and since this time he has lived re-
tired. His first vote in this country was for John
C. Fremont and he has since that time supported
the Republican party in national affairs, but in
local affairs selects the man who is in his opinion
best fitted to serve the interests of the people in

March 18, 1858, he was married to Miss Wil-
helmiua Kuppen, a native of Germany, who
came to Chicago in June, 1857. They were
married by Dr. Hartman, pastor of St. Paul's
Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mr. and Mrs.
Zeis became the parents of eight children, only
one of whom is now living, Frank, who is on
the police force.

The members of the family are connected with
the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and their as-
sistance is valued to the highest degree by the
others of the congregation.


f^ETER BRUST, who was, at the time of his
yr decease, one of the most industrious and ener-
[3 getic of the citizens of Chicago, was born
March 8, 1833, in the village of Ermenach,
Prussia. He was a son of Mathias and Anna
Marie (Meurer) Brust, and died September 8,
1893, his remains being interred in Graceland
Cemetery. Jacob Brust, an older member of the
family, emigrated two years before his brother,
Peter, and now resides in New Ulm, Minnesota.
Peter Brust emigrated from his native land
in 1852. He had become proficient in the trade
of harnessmaking in his young manhood, but

followed this occupation but little after reaching
America. He was employed for a short time in
Chicago by a Mr. Valentine, and by the same
man in Clinton, Illinois. He removed to Elgin,
Illinois, subsequently, being seven years in the
employ of this man. After this period he served
the interests of B. Shipman, a white lead
manufacturer, until the time of his demise, a
period of twenty-nine years, in Chicago. He
started as engineer and was made foreman shortly
afterward, continuing in this capacity until his
death. This length of time spent in one position
and following out one line of work proves the in-



tegrity and perseverance of the man, and his ex-
ample is one that may profitably be followed by
the youth of to-day.

Mr. Brust was married October 16, 1854, to
Miss Anna Elizabeth Brach, daughter of John
Peter and Susanna Elizabeth (Bertgess) Brach.
Mrs. Brust was born February 3, 1830, in the
village of Letzbeuren, Prussia. Her father died
in 1837, at the age of fifty-four years. He was

Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 98 of 111)