John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 13 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 13 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


niture Company, and has been vice-president of the
company for twenty-four years. Charles A. Johnson
is quite a self-made man, as that term is known: the
success which has come to him has been entirely by
his own efforts, by his resolute application to study,
even after he had begun his business life, and by his
honesty of purpose and moral integrity. He applied
himself steadily to honest production, and that pro-
duction in due course brought an honest return. And
some of his outside associations indicate that he is a
man in whom others have confidence, and that in the
affairs of his fellow-citizens of Swedish antecedents
he has taken an active interest. He is a director of
the American National Bank, and is president and
director of the "Scandia," a .Swedish newspaper.

Charles A. Johnson was born Feb. 2.3, i860, in
Sweden, and in due course attended the school of his
native place. His father, now deceased, was Jonas
Johanson, and on his father's farm Charles A. worked
during his boyhood. He remained near his parents
until he li.id reached the age of twenty-two years, but
then decided to come to America, his brother having
already gone, and, according to report, having suc-
cessfully settled in Jamestown, N. Y. Therefore,
Charles A. came, and upon arrival in America came to
Jamestown, where ever since he has remained, inces-
santly working, and for the greater jjart of the time
working amid associations of consequence or [jromise
to the city of Jamestown. He has taken appreciable
part ill I he maintenance of the city in continued pros-
I/i-rify duriuK llic last tliirty years, for the companies
with which he has actively been connected, in rcspon-





Oyd^




BIOGRAPHICAL



361



sible capacity, have been steady producers, and steady
employers of labor, in the production of a commodity
which has been marketed almost exclusively outside
the city. Upon arriving in Jamestown, in 1S82, he
began to work for the Jamestown Banding Company,
with which company he remained for five years. In
his early years, he was much handicapped because of
a poor understanding of English, and he saw that in
other academic and fundamental subjects his Swedish
schooling was deficient. Therefore, he assiduously
studied during the early years of his residence in
Jamestown, attending local night schools for the pur-
pose, but mainly studymg at home. He was a young
man of alert intelligence, apt in most things, and he
soon became a skilled workman; and his private learn-
ing soon closed the gap in his knowledge of general
subjects. And by steady attendance at his work, and
consistent thrift, he was able to grasp other opportuni-
ties which came. In 1887, he acquired an interest in
the Swedish Furniture Company, which, under a later
reconstruction, became the Atlas Furniture Company,
under which name it now trades. Charles A. Johnson
has had charge of the finishing and shipping depart-
ments of that company for the last twenty-five years;
has been director for thirty years, since i88g; and has
been its vice-president since 1896; so that he has held
a sufficiently responsible capacity in the affairs of a
substantial industry of Jamestown. Mr. Johnson is a
member of the Norden Club of Jamestown, and of the
"Swedish One Hundred Member Society." For many
decades he has been an earnest member of the church,
and in Jamestown attends the Swedish Zion Church,
to which he has given due support.

Mr. Johnson was married, in Jamestown, in 1901, to
Hannah Collin. They have tliree children: i. Lillian,
who is now a high school undergraduate. 2. Mildred,
who attends the elementary school. 3. Marion, who
also attends the public school.



THE ATLAS FURNITURE COMPANY of

Jamestown, now among the large manufacturers of fur-
niture in Western New York, was founded principally by
L. E. Erickson and Gustave Holmberg, and others, in
1883, under the corporate title "The Swedish Furniture
Company," Gustave Holmberg, president; L. E.
Erickson, secretary and treasurer. The original plant
of the company was located on East Second street,
Jamestown, but a fire destroyed that building and new
quarters were found on Harrison street, which were
occupied until 1887, when a plant was purchased in
Randolph. N. Y. At that time the capital stock was
increased and about fifteen new stockholders admit-
ted. The officially active members were and always
have been but few in number, and among them are
F. O. Strandberg, C. A. Johnson and L. E. Erickson.
At about this time the corporate name was changed to
the Atlas Furniture Company, F. O. Strandberg, pres-
ident ; C. A. Johnson, vice-president, and L. E. Erick-
son, secretary-treasurer; the latter died in 1905. Gus-
tave Holmberg relinquished active part in the new
organization in favor of the new members, his home
being too far from Randolph for him to continue
active in the management. The plant of the company
in Randolph was occupied four years, then sold, and



a large modern plant erected on the Allen street exten-
sion in Jamestown. This plant was enlarged as needs
required until 1910, when the Atlas Furniture Com-
pany purchased the nearby plant of the Liberty Fur-
niture Company on Blackstone avenue. The company
now (1920) employ about 200 highly skilled mechanics
and manufacture high grade bedroom furniture. The
present officers of the company are: President, Frank
O. Strandberg: vice-president, Charles A. Johnson;
secretary-treasurer, John A. Hagg. The directors
are: F. O. Strandberg, C. A. Johnson, Andrew Wal-
lin, Gustave Wallin, Carl Nelson, Andrew Venman,
Lester Strandberg.

The Atlas Furniture Company since its inception
has enjoyed remarkable success and prosperity. Its
products are well known in the furniture world and
dealers are supplied in all parts of the United States,
as well as some in foreign countries.



GEORGE WASHINGTON JUDE, one of the

most prominent and successful attorneys of James-
town, N. Y., where he has an office in the Wellman
building, is a native of Chautauqua county, his birth
having occurred there Feb. 22, 1867. Mr. Jude is a
son of Joseph and Mary (Graham) Jude, and a mem-
ber of an old English family, his ancestry having held
an important position in the community where they
lived. The elder Mr. Jude followed the occupation
of farming for many years in this region, and is now
deceased, as is also his wife.

George Washington Jude attended as a lad the dis-
trict country school, and at the same time assisted his
father with the work on the latter's farm. Later he
became a pupil of the Sugar Grove Seminary at Sugar
Grove. Pa., where he was prepared for college. He
then matriculated at Otterbein University, Westerville,
Ohio, from which he graduated with the class of 1891,
taking at the same time his degree as Bachelor of
Arts. After completing his general education. Mr.
Jude taught in Sugar Grove Seminary, and then went
to the University of Chicago, where he took a number
of special post-graduate courses. The following two
years were spent as a teacher in the same school, dur-
ing which time he determined to follow the profession
of law as a career, and with this end in view entered
the law office of Green & Woodbury, prominent attor-
neys of Jamestown, where he pursued his legal studies
to such good purpose that he was admitted to the
Chautauqua county bar in July, 1899. Mr. Jude had
during this time been obliged to engage in remunera-
tive occupations of one kind or another in order to
pay for his tuition in the various institutions of learn-
ing which he had attended. LIpon his admission to the
bar, he opened a law office in Jamestown and since
that time has been active in the general practice of his
profession here. Mr. Jude has proven himself particu-
larly well qualified for his legal practice and has built
up for himself an enviable reputation, both on account
of his ability and the high standard of professional
ethics which he has maintained. He has now one of
the largest clienteles in the city and handles a great
deal of important litigation in the region. Mr. Jude
is also active in the general life of Jamestown, and is
a member of a number of important organizations here.



362



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



He i? keenly interested in local politics and classes
himself as an independent Republican, having been
elected to a number of public offices on the ticket of
that party. Although entirely unambitious for politi-
cal preferment, he has held the office of judge of the
Police Court for one term and has served on the
Board of Education for three years. He also repre-
sented Jamestown in the State Legislature in 1913, and
in all these capacities has proved himself a most able
and disinterested public servant. Mr. Jude is a mem-
ber of Mt. Moriah Lodge. Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons; Jamestown Lodge. Scottish Rite Masons;
Mt. Tabor Lodge. Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows: and the Sons of St. George.

George Washington Jude was united in marriage,
Dec. 29. 1002, with Lyda Pearl Boardman, a daugh-
ter of .-Mphonso M. and .Mice (Kay) Boardman, old
and highly respected residents of Bradford, Pa. One
child has been bom of this union, Robert Boardman,
Nov. S. 1906.



JARED HEWES, well known as an agriculturalist
and man of affairs, is one of the prominent figures in
the agricultural, industrial, business and social life of
Chautauqua county. He has for thirty-five years been
a director and for thirty years secretary of the Patrons'
Fire Relief .Association of Chautauqua counti. . N. Y.,
and has seen the growth of this association from a
small beginning to one carrying an outstanding insur-
ance at the present time amounting to $15,931,130,
insured on property exclusively within Chautauqua
county. .And his identity has meant much to the
material increase in the Order of the Patrons of Hus-
bandry, as well as other things which he has been iden-
tified with.

Jared Hewes. son of Daniel H. and Abigail CIrwin)
Hewes. was born July 23. 184S, in Chautauqua county.
His birthplace was on the ground which was later
occupied by the well known Chautauqua Institution.
Hi? father, native of the East, came from Saratoga
Springs. N. Y., and was amongst the first pioneers of
Chautauqua county, and here became a prosperous
farmer, stock dealer and butcher. He was prominent
in local affairs, being a supervisor of the town of
Chautauqua, and during the Civil War was an agent
for the L'nited -States Government, his duty being to
purchase horses for army service.

In his youth, Jarcd Hewes attended the rtjmmon
schools of his town, after which he, with his brothers,
assisted his father in farming .Tiid the butcher busi-
ness. The meat business in which they engaged became
the well-known firm of Daniel H. Hewes & Sons, and
for many years supplied people on the Chautauqua
Grounds. When still quite a young man Jarcd Hewes
taught school for five winter terms, and by his con-
sistent effort he prospered, and as a result he acquired
a farm, about f876, consisting of 50 acres of unim-
proved land and later added lo this 150 acres. He
cultivated and did much to develf)i> his farm, and thus
earned the reputation of being one of the county's
best know farmers. He remained in the pursuit of a
farmer for a number of years, and in 1918 ^old his land
and establi<ihrd a home at Cheney's Point on Lake
Chautauqua.



The Patrons' Fire Relief Association was organized in
1S77. and he being a member of the Patrons of Hus-
bandry insured his farm property in the association,
the first insurance he ever carried of any kind. He
took an active interest in this organization in connec-
tion with his farm work, and in 1885 was elected a
director, and in iSgo succeeded Walter C. Gilford as
secretary. Both positions he ably filled until his retire-
ment in 1920. While Mr. Hewes was secretary, he
originated an accounting system for the association's
records, which was one of the most simplified methods
that could be employed in the large field of insur-
ance. He devoted the greater portion of his time to
the duties of his office, and was a regular attendant at
the meetings of the Patrons of Husbandry, attended
exclusively by farmers, and with them Jared Hewes
was one of the ardent workers. He represented the
Patrons' Fire Relief Association at the annual meet-
ings of the New York Central Organization of Co-
operative Fire Insurance Companies, and in igig was
chairman of the memorial committee. As a member of
the legislative committee of the New York State Cen-
tral Organization, which represented one hundred
twenty companies of the State, he did much to pro-
mote good understanding and relations in the insur-
ance world. Besides the foregoing activities, he was
able to identify himself with other important inter-
ests, being a director of the Bank of Jamestown upon
its organization in 1903 and until his resignation in
1920; director of Jamestown Metal Furniture Com-
pany from its organization until the sale of this com-
pany to the Art Metal Construction Company; an offi-
cer in the Federal Land Bank and the United States
Treasury Department as an appraiser of farms, with
headfiuarters at Springfield, Mass. He was one of the
organizers of the Chautauqua County Farm Bureau,
the third of its kind in New York State, of which he
served as president for five years. A Republican in
politics, Mr. Hewes represented the town of Harmony
in the Chautauqua County Board of Supervisors, 1890-
189s, inclusive, succeeding Loren B. Session, who held
the office continuously from 1873 to 1889; at numerous
Congressional, State, and County conventions he has
represented his party as a delegate. He was one of the
charier members of Stedman Grange, No. 241, Patrons
of Husliandry; the Harmony Farmers' Club, and an
attendant of the United Brethren Church of Chau-
tauqua.

Mr. Hewes married, in the town of Chautauqua,
N. Y., Dec. 2-), 1871, Lorilla Wicr, born April 17, 1846,
in Washington county, N. Y., died in Chautauqua
county, N. Y., April 7, 1915, daughter of Hiram and
Maria (GifTord) Wier, both of Washington county,
N. Y., and later of Chautauqua county. Two children
were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hewes; i. Clara, born
.April 23, 1873, educated in the district schools, May-
ville High Sciiool, and Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, N. Y.;
married Jesse F.. Ford, of Harmony, and to this union
there are two children, Helen L., and Jared H. 2.
Walter W., born .Sept. 23, 1875, educated in the district
schools and Jamestown High School; married Edith
C. Cowles, and to them were born two children. Cath-
erine C, and Warren J.

jared Hewes conies from a long line of descent; a




(9^v:u . c^ .






BIOGRAPHICAL



363



number of his forebears were amongst the first colon-
ists into America, his great-grandfather, George R. T.
Hewes, who died at the age of one Inmdred nine years
and two months, was the last survivor of the old Bos-
ton Tea Party, and Joseph Hewes was among the
signers of the Declaration of Independence.



JOHN SHIRLEY EDDY— The Eddys came to
the town of Harmony, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
about 1830, from Rutland county, Vt., settling on a
farm at Watts Flats, which John Eddy bought. He
left a son, Jonathan Eddy, born in Rutland county, Vt.,
who married Bessie B. Holbrook, born in Hamburg,
Erie county, N. Y., and they were the parent? of John
Shirley Eddy, who lives on, owns and cultivates the old
homestead farm, bought from the Holland Land
Company by his wife's father, Lucius Button.

John Shirley Eddy was born on the farm at Watts
Flats, town of Harmony, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
July 1, 184s, and resides near Panama, seventy-five
years later, a successful, substantial agriculturist. He
was educated in the public schools of his district, and
from youth has been familiar with farm labor and man-
agement. He is a member of the Patrons of Hus-
bandry, a Baptist in religious faith, and a Republican
in politics.

Mr. Eddy married, in Panama, Chautauqua county,
N, Y,, Feb. 9, 1867, Mercy M. Button, born April 12,
1847, in Panama, daughter of Lucius and Almira
(Lamb) Button, her parents born in Rutland county,
Vt. Mr. and Mrs. Eddy are the parents of four chil-
dren: I. Lucius Button, born Feb. 18, 1869, married
Bertha Sherwood, and has three children: Shirley T.,
Neta, and Ruth. 2. Eugene R., born April 3, 1878;
married Inez Eddy, and has one child, Beth; the fam-
ily resides in the State of Washington. 3. Martin C,
born March 7, 1S81 : farmer and resides on the farm
adjoining that of his father; married Eugenia Swart,
and has four children: Edith, Dorothy, Clemons, and
Robert. 4. Almira May, born Dec. 2, 1884; married
W. W. Towne, and has three children: Allison Hol-
brook, Bruce Eddy, Alma Marie Towne; they reside
in the State of Washington.



CHARLES EMIL ANDERSON, of the firm of
Anderson & Drake, and one of the best known dentists
in Chautauqua county, N. Y., where he has been in
practice for upwards of thirty years, is a native of
Sweden, his birth having occurred in that country,
May 6, 1864. His childhood was passed in his native
land, and he there began his education, attending for
that purpose the local public schools.

Dr. Anderson is a son of John B. and Mary Ander-
son, and when a mere lad was brought by them to the
United States, the family coming direct to Jamestown,
where he continued his education and was prepared for
college. He entered the Philadelphia Dental College
and there took the regular course in dentistry, gradu-
ating from that institution with the class of 18S8, and
at the same time receiving his degree. He at once
returned to Jamestown and formed a partnership with
Dr. E. J. Swetland, under the firm name of Swetland
& Anderson, and here carried on his profession with a



high degree of success. This association continued
uninterruptedly until the year 1915, when Dr. Swet-
land retired from active practice. Dr. Anderson then
took Dr. L. R. Drake as a partner and the business
is still continued under the name of .Anderson &
Drake. A large and high-class clientele has been
built up by this firm, which is now recognized as one
of the leading concerns of its kind in Jamestown, and
Dr. Anderson is personally the possessor of an en-
viable reputation both for ability and for the high
standards of professional ethics maintained by him.
Dr. Anderson has always been keenly interested in the
general welfare of his profession, and is a member of
the Jamestown Dental Society, the New York State
Dental Society, and the National Dental Association.
He is also a conspicuous figure in the general life of
the community, and affiliated with a number of impor-
tant organizations here, both social and fraternal,
among which should be mentioned, the Ancient Free
and Accepted Masons, Royal Arch Masons, Royal and
Select Masters, Knights Templar, and Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. In addition to
these Masonic bodies, he is also a member of the
Jamestown Chamber of Commerce, and has been very
active in promoting the general material welfare of
the community in this capacity. His club is the Nor-
den, which claims a large and distinguished member-
ship among the numerous citizens of Swedish birth
and origin in these parts.

Dr. Anderson was united in marriage, June 26, 1889,
at Jamestown, with Henrietta C. Johnson, a daughter
of Gust. A. and Mary Johnson, of Jamestown. Dr.
and Mrs. Anderson are the parents of one daughter,
Sherleigh Anderson, who became the wife of D. H.
Mitchell, of Santa Paula, Cal.



T. HENRY BLACK— In reviewing the past history
of any individual it is often necessary to touch upon
their antecedents as bearing directly on the character
and make-up of the person described. Thomas Henry
Black, subject of the present sketch, is a well known
photographer and business man of Jamestown, N. Y.,
and has been prominently identified in his profession
for many years, being one of the leading photograph-
ers of Chautauqua county. He numbers among his
patronage many important personal, commercial and
landscape subjects of the city and surrounding coun-
try. The studio which Mr. Black conducts is known to
be one of the oldest in the county, being in existence
for many years before his coming to Jamestown in
1884. Originally this building was a hotel, but in
1871 it was remodeled into a studio, the entrance being
directly from the side street. In those days it was
operated by veteran photographers who made their
own photographic plates and paper, and, in fact, Mr.
Black has a number of valuable negatives made by
these photographers that are marvels of workman-
ship. These negatives depict many of the residents
back in the early days of Jamestown's history. Mr.
Black had his photo taken in this studio many years
ago as a small boy in knee pants and it is treasured by
him as a unique souvenir of photography in those days.

Thomas Henry Black, son of Thomas and Eliza
(Gormley) Black, is a native of Toronto, Canada, born



364



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Nov. 2-. IS^,-. His father came from the North of
Ireland. likewise his mother, and it was in their native
land that the parents of Thomas Henrj- first met.
They were mairied in Ireland in iS6,^. and shortly
afterwards emijn^ted to Canada, locating in Toronto.
Thomas Black, the father, was a remarkably talented
man in many ways, and was widely noted as a land-
scape crardener. his services beincr freqviently sought to
oversee the work of laying out large estates. He spent
a number of years in Toronto, and about 1S71 he came
to the United States, bringing with him his family,
going direct to Titusville, Pa., during the oil excit
ment. His brother John had preceded him there, and
together they built a home for their respective families.
It was while living in Titusville that Mr. Black met
Henry Harley. then the country's oil king, and Mr.
Harley made a flattering proposition to him to go to
Long Point, on Chautauqua Lake, and take complete
charge of Mr. Harley 's countn,' estate at that place.
This commission was accepted, and in 1875 Mr. Black
and his family became residents of Chautauqua county.

While at Long Point, Mr. Harley gave him cartr
bhinclu- over the entire estate and during the following
nine years the development of horticulture and agri-
culture made of Long Point one of the model show
places and farms on the lake. It was here that his
son, Thomas Henry Black, spent his early boyhood,
and attended the district school at West Ellery, some
considerable distance from home. In fact, it was the
remoteness of Mr. Black's home from schooling facili-
ties that influenced him to come to Jamestown in 1884,
and so. with regret, his resignation was tendered to
Mr. Harley in that year.

The subsequent years were spent in Jamestown, with
the exception of a short period in the South as fore-
man over a large plantation, and in a part of this city,
then called Dexterville, he operated a successful truck
farm, and later managed the estate of the late Gov.
R. E. Fenton. At the time of his death he was engaged
by Frank Edward Gifford, president of the First Na-
tional Bank. Honesty, simplicity and a desire to serve
were the prevailing characteristics of this man, who by
earnest toil carved for himself an enduring place in
the hearts of all who knew him. His death, in 1890,
came as an extreme loss. Thomas and Eliza (Gorm-
ley) Black were the parents of nine children, of whom
Thomas Henry is the only surviving one.

Very early in life Thomas Henry Black showed a
remarkable talent for art, and was able to sketch in
freehand drawings objects of interest. He was never
tired oi drawing pictures of scenery, and frequently
adorned the blackboard in the district school with
accurate reproductions of local scenes. In fact his
pencil was more frequently employed in drawing pic-
tures than in fi^ring sums, and as a result his lessons
were frc'iuently neglected. As he grew older his
natural talent ior drawing was augmented by his desire
to write, and had he received proper encouragement at
this period in life along these lines, he would have
later 'li tingiiished hims'lf as an artist or a litterateur.
Hi^ parents, however, had other aims in view and so
after leaving school he went into business, drifting
from one thing to another in quest of his ideals until
finally he sailed into the harbor of photography, where
he anchorf-d for life.



.\s has been stated, his boyhood days were spent on
the farm at Long Point. The year 1884 marked the
real beginning of his literary life, and on March 4,
1SS4, he began writing a diary and, remarkable as it



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 13 of 101)