John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 33 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 33 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


financial experts of New York and Philadelphia. His
first activities in the county were to aid in the organ-
izing of the Second Liberty Loan campaign under plans
of the local administration and those suggested by the
Federal Reserve Bank of New York in behalf of the
Lhiited States Government.

Frederick Yale Toy is a native of Philadelphia, Pa.,
born April 28, 1894, son of Thomas Browne and Carrie
Aiken (Yale) Toy. The elder Mr. Toy was for a num-
ber of years the owner of a large wholesale clothing
and men's apparel business in Richmond, Va. He re-
tired froin his wholesale business in 1914 on account of
ill health, and gave his attention in a semi-active way
to his real estate and brokerage interests. During the
latter part of 1917 and until March 1919, he served over
seas as a secretary for the Young Men's Christian Asso-
ciation in France, afterwards returning to Richmond,
Va., where he is still residing. In the latter part of
1019, he assisted in organizing the trust department of
the First National Bank of Richmond,

Frederick Yale Toy passed his boyhood at German-
town, one of the suburbs of Philadelphia, where he at-
tended the local schools and the Germantown Academy.
He left the latter institution in 1907, accompanying his
parents to Richmond, Va., and there studied at the Rich-
mond Academy, graduating in 1910 with honors. It
was at this institution that he won a scholarship which
entitled him to a full course at Richmond College. In
the fall of 1910 he entered Richmond College where he
pursued a scientific course, and graduated with the class
of 1914 with the degree of Bachelor of -Science. Mr.
Toy then received an appointment to the United States
Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md., from Ex-Governor
A. J. Montague, of Virginia, and here he remained a
midshipman but one year and resigned on account of
physical disability resulting from a serious injury.
Later, when his health permitted, Mr. Toy secured a
Iiosition as assistant estimator wtth the Richmond
Structural Steel Company of Richmond. Va., remain-
ing with this concern for a time. In October, I9i.=i. he
came to New York State and settled at Syracuse as
representative for Julius Christenscn S[ Company, in-
vestment bankers of that city. In June, 1017, he ac-



BIOGRAPHICAL



435



cepted a position as State representative with Chandler
& Company with headquarters at Syracuse, resigning
this position in December, 1917. Subsequently he be-
came associated with the Guaranty Trust Company of
New York as their correspondent with offices in James-
town, a position which he still continues very ably and
which identities him with the financial interests of Chau-
tauqua county. Mr. Toy has made a deep study on
finance and investments, and is regarded as an author-
ity on banking.

While he has given his undivided business attention
to matters of financial interest, at leisure he has in a
social way become well known in fraternal and club
life. He is a member of the Phi Kappa Sigma College
fraternity, the Rotary Club of Jamestown, the Guaranty
Club of New York, Mt. Moriah Lodge, No. 145, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Jamestown, and the local
lodge. No. 263, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks. In religious belief, Mr. Toy is a Methodist, and
politically, a Republican.

Frederick Yale Toy was united in marriage, Sept.
15. 1917, at Washington, D. C, with Lena Child
Williams, a daughter of Robert Kenon and Lucy (Stith)
Williams. Mr. Williams is the Southern manager 01
a large European cotton company of Scotland.



FRANCIS A. IRVINE, former city engineer of
Jamestown, and now affiliated with the Jorgenson
Plumbing and Electrical Company, is one of the well-
known young business men of the city.

Born in Tidioute, Pa., Sept 4, 18S4, Francis A. Irvine
is the son of Oscar and Christine (Anderson) Irvine,
the former having been for many years a prosperous
builder of oil tanks in Tidioute, where he has been
living for many years. After acquiring a good funda-
mental education at the local grammar and high schools,
young Irvine entered Allegheny College, taking the
civil engineering course, graduating in 1908, his degree
being Civil Engineer. Upon graduating, about a year
was spent in concrete work at his home town, Tidioute,
after which he was appointed to the position of drafts-
man in the Pennsylvania State Highway Department,
Feb. I, 1909, with headquarters at Warren. He held
this position for a year and then accepted another posi-
tion, later becoming assistant division engineer in the
maintenance department of the Baltimore & Ohio Rail-
road System. He remained in the employ of the rail-
road for several years, until June l, 1915, when he
went to Jamestown, entering the Jorgenson plumbing
and heating establishment. A year later, June 20, 1916,
Mr. Irvine received the appointment of temporary city
engineer of Jamestown, and shortly after, Mayor Carl-
son of that city appointed him city engineer, a com-
mission he held until October, 1919. While holding the
office he advocated many improvements, such as open-
ing new streets, paving and repaving old ones, improve-
ments on parkways, and many other such suggestions.

In June. 1015. Francis A. Irvine was married to
Madelyn. daughter of Nels and Mary (Lawson) Jorg-
enson, at Jamestown. They have one child, Phillip
Marshall. Mr. and Mrs. Irvine attend Holy Trinity
English Lutheran Church.

Mr. Irvine has held membership for the last few
years in several of the Jamestown organizations, among



them being the Ndrden Club, Kiwanis Club, the Order
of Eagles, and the Greek letter fraternity of his college
days. Phi Delta Theta. While at Allegheny College,
Mr. Irvine took an active part in all athletic sports,
gaining quite a reputation in track meets. He was also
very greatly interested in music, being a member of the
College Glee Club.



GEORGE LIAS LOCKWOOD— Being the pos-
sessor of a well established business which stands well
in the front ranks of Jamestown's commercial life,
George L. Lockwood is prominent here and is known
throughout the city as a leading merchant. He was born
in Forestville, N. Y., Sept. 4, 1883, his father being
Melzar A. Lockwood. and his mother, Mary F. (Oliver)
Loclcivood.

When George L. Lockwood was very young the fami-
ly moved from Forestville to Jamestown, and the lad
was entered as a pupil at the grammar school of that
city, later attending the high school. During the holidays,
Saturdays, and after school hours, young Lockwood
worked in a dry goods store, and alter leaving school
became regularly employed by the Gokey Shoe Company,
v/here he remained for the following two years. After
that the young man went to Cleveland, Ohio, obtain-
ing employment with wholesale shoe dealers, the Cady-
Iverson Shoe Company, in iheir stock room. He only
remained in Cleveland one year, returning to his home
in Jamestown where his father, M. A. Lockwood, was
engaged in the harness business, his shop being at No.
106 East Second street. Two years after he had entered
upon this new field of labor, Mr. Lockwood, the elder,
took his son into partnership, extending the business
to embrace all kinds of leather goods. This was con-
tinued for some years, until 1907, when M. A. Lock-
wood retired from active business life and his son con-
ducted the enterprise alone. The harness portion of
it was abandoned, confining the stock exclusively to
leather goods, umbrellas, novelties and other goods of
that description. The firm had been known as M. A.
Lockwood & Son, but after the retirement of the senior
partner it was changed to George L. Lockwood, leather
goods and novelties, and has so continued; the business
was established in 1890, when the father moved to
Jamestown. In January, 1913, the business was removed
to No. 7 West Third street, where it is located at the
present time. Mr. Lockwood is a genial man, popular
among other men, and interested in public affairs. He
i.- a member of the Board of Commerce and of the
Jamestown Auto Club. He is also a Free Mason ; with
his family he attends the First Methodist Church.

In Jamestown. Sept. 4, 1906, George L. Lockwood
married Lillian Gornall, daughter of William and Fanny
O. (Wilson") Gornall. residents of Jamestown. Mr.
Gornall was one of the founders of the Empire Worsted
Mills of Jamestown.

Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood have four children : Thomas,
Jean, George L.. Jr., and Betty. Mr. Lockwood has a
very interesting family, their advancement in life being
his greatest ambition.



PAUL WALTER FREDERICKSON, prominent
citizen and business man, is a native of America, and
a descendant of that sturdy race, the Swedes, which rep-



430



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



resent one oi the most progressive types of people in
Chautauqua county. He is a man of education, sound
citizenship and a representative in the business life of
the coninuinity. and is one of the foremost young men
in llie town of Stockton, Chautauqua county, N. V.

Paul \V. Frederickson, son of Alfred and Matilda
(Anderson* Frederickson, was born in Stockton, Dec.
14. 1S03. He was educated here in the district schools
and later the Brocton and Fredonia hi^h schools.
He took a teacher's course at the Fredonia Normal
School, from which he was graduated in the class of
1015. and shortly afterwards became the principal of
the Cassadaga High School. Cassadaga, N. Y. He re-
mained here for one year, and in 1916 went to New York
City, where he became the principal of the grammar de-
partment of the Chelsea School, which was a branch
0' the Young Men's Christian .\ssociation Educational
Department, this school being located in the -Associa-
tion's building on West 23rd street. In August, 1917, short-
ly after the United States had entered the World War
he enlisted and went to the Officers' Training Camp at
Fort Niagara. X. Y., and there received an intensive
military training. At Fort Niagara he was commission-
ed as second lieutenant in the Field Artillery Service.
In December, 191 7. he was assigned to Camp Travis.
Tex., as an instructor, and remained in this assignment
until January, 1918. when he was transferred to the
.Aviation Section of the .Army. He had become very
well equipped in the knowledge of his command, and
was in charge of various squadrons at Kelly Field, Te.x.,
and \'an Couver Barracks, Washington. He was honor-
ably discharged from service, Feb. 8, 1919. and shortl\'
afterwards returned to his home at Stockton, where he
joined his brothers, Delmar and Alvin L. Frederickson,
in their manufacturing industry of basket making and
other wood products, the firm being known as the Fred-
erickson Brothers, of which he has since been secretary.

Mr. Frederickson is identified with the various town
interests, being a justice of the peace and a member of
the Town Board. Fraternally he is a member of the
varir.us Masonic bodies and the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. In politics he is a staunch Republican,
and in religion a memlier of the Stockton Baptist Church.



FREDERICK YOUNG— Fnr many years Mr.
■^ount; has been a resident of Celoron, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., and in 1914 erected his present brick
residence on Ninth street. During his years in the
county he has steadily pursued his trade and is a well
known contractor. He is a son of Mariin Van P.uren
and F.lizaUth (Dunn) Young, his father born in Medina,
N. Y.

Tred'-rick Young was born in Hartlnnd, N. Y., Dec.
20. I'-'fiy. He was educated in the public schools. His
father was a mason by trade, and when Frederick
arrivfd at a suitable age he devoted his attention to
Warning a branch of the same trade, becoming an expert
brirklav'T. Since cming to Chautauqua county he
ha* worked at his trade as a journeyman and a con-
tractor. He has invested in Oloron property, and in
K/).3 erected the building for himself that stands next
to hi? pres'-nt residenrc. When he built his first house
hi- adopted the "pay as you go" plan, and when it was
completed everything was fully paid for. Mr. Young



has served as trustee for the village of Celoron for
three years, he has also served as fireman in the city of
Jamestown for about eight years. He is a Republican
in politics, a member of the United Brethren church
and of the Protected Home Circle.

Mr. Young married, in Jamestown, N. Y., .April 21,
1895, Ella Pryde, born April 5, 1874, daughter of Daniel
and Ellen (Day) Pryde, of Mercer county. Pa., her
parents born in Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Young were
the parents of three cliildren : i. Floyd Franklin, born
Feb. 2, 1896; entered the United States army, July 22,
1918, saw eight months' service overseas with the
American Expeditionary Forces and was honorably
discharged, May 14, 1919. 2. Maude Leona, born Sept.
6, 1898. i. .Arthur Eliuer, born April 5. 1904.



HENRY MARVIN LUND, a young and enter-
prising business executive connected with the Linquest
Electrical Company of New York, who has proved him-
self to have a comprehensive knowledge of electrical
work, and also an honest desire to give good and effi-
cient service, is a native of Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
born in the city of Jamestown, Feb. 6, 1887. If his
parents, James and Charlotte Lund, were still alive,
they would have been gratified to realize that their son
has advanced so substantially and so rapidly.

Henry M. Lund was educated in local grammar and
high schools, and when only fourteen years of age
began to work, his first employinent betng with the Amer-
ican .Aristotype Company, which was a branch of the
Eastman Kodak Company. Two years later, he entered
the service of the Bell Telephone Company, at James-
town, and that may be said to have been his introduc-
tion to things electrical; he started as errand boy, but
gradually became proficient in construction work, the
installing of telephones and such like phases of electri-
cal work, and he remained with the Bell Telephone
Company for four years, giving much time, in his spare
hours, to the study of the science of electrical mani-
pulation, and thus he became very proficient in wiring
operations. After leaving the eiuploy of the Bell Tele-
phone Company, he was with Hansen, the electrician,
for a short while, leaving his service in order to take
the position of electrician with the Chautauqua Electric
Company, where he remained for three years. .After
this he was for one year with the Jamestown Electric
Company, in like capacity. In 191 1, he entered into part-
nership with the Linquest Brothers and Fred J. Sutton,
the outcome of which is the present Linquest Elec-
trical Company of Jamestown. The operations of this
firm in Jamestown and throughout the county have
developed a business of considerable magnitude and of
satisfactory return. Mr. Lund is secretary of the cor-
j)i'ration and he has the supervision of all store and
fixture work undertaken by the company. Mr. Lund is
an energetic man who takes interest in all manly sports,
and in certain activities of the life of Jamestown, He
has been particularly prominent in various Masonic
bodies and the Shrine. He was past master of the
Council in loiTi, and is [last i)atroii of the Order of the
Amaranth.

r)n Aug. 7, n/)8, Mr. Lund was married in Jamestown,
to Gertrude, daughter of Charles Wills, of Jamestown.

Aggressive, active and thorough in his undertakings.





^^^^ C ^, /UiMf^^r^



BIOGRAPHICAL



437



Mr. Lund is of the type that instills confidence in his
co-workers; he has the ability of concentration, of being
able to work both rapidly and skillfully, and to concen-
trate his attention upon a task until it has reached sat-
isfactory completion. And with steadiness of purpose,
and consistent enterprise, he will in all probability in
the future come even more prominently into the aiTairs
of his native city.



town. Mr. and Mrs. Sutton are the parents of one
child, a daughter, Virginia, born June 27, 1913, and
has recently commenced to go to school.



FRED JOHN SUTTON, treasurer of the Linquest
Electrical Company, one of the leading firms of elec-
trical contractors in Chautauqua county, has manifested
commendable traits in his business advancement. He
started as a farm boy, then became a grocery clerk,
after which he was a machinist, and then, with the
firm resolution to fit himself for commercial aft'airs,
he left his trade and entered a commercial college.

Fred J. Sutton was born in Stockton, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., Jan. 16, 1884, the son of William and
Emma Sutton. The elder Suttons still live at the home-
stead in Cassadaga, Chautauqua county, where both are
much respected and have very many friends. As a boy,
Fred J. Sutton attended the public school of Stockton,
after which he assisted his father in the operation of the
home farm. When he had reached eighteen years,
Fred J. took employment in a local grocery store, as a
clerk, and remained so employed for several years.
Eventually, he entered the machine shop of the Ameri-
can Locomotive Works, at Dunkirk, this county, and
worked for three years as machinist. Then came the
turning point in his business career ; he decided to leave
his work and trade and go to Jamestown, and there
become a student at the Jamestown Business College,
with a view to gaining proficiency in the commercial
phase of business. He found it required much strength
of will and steadfastness of purpose to continue in his
resolution under the conditions he had to carry through
in order to remain at school until he had graduated,
so he worked after school hours. After graduation, he
immediately obtained a position as bookkeeper with the
Jamestown Shale Paving Company, in the employ of
which firm he remained for six months, thereafter tak-
ing a like position with the Chautauqua Electric Com-
pany, remaining for one year. After this, for three
years, he was with the Hansen Electric Company. In
l(,ll, he joined the Linquest Brothers and Henry M.
Lund, the four forming business partnership to con-
stitute a firm of electrical contractors, which firm, as
it now is, is the well known and successful Linquest
Electrical Company, of Jamestown. Of that corpora-
tion, Mr. Sutton is treasurer, and has direction of the
commercial phase of the business. .All the partners are
young, alert, and enterprising, each skilled in his depart-
ment, and all bent upon making the company the best in
its line in the countj- and contiguous territories. Mr.
Sutton is interested in the activities of Jamestown.
Among the business men of the city he is well placed
and recognized as a capable young executive. He is
one of the charter members of the Jamestown Rotary
Club, belongs to the United Commercial Travelers*
Association, and in fraternal affiliations is identified
with the Eagles and the Masonic bodies.

Mr. Sutton was married in Jamestown, June 23, 190Q,
to Mildred, daughter of Charles J. Moflfette, of James-



AUGUST FREDERICK NELSON— Jamestown

has no citizen more enterprising than the one whose
name heads this article. As a large real estate holder,
as manager of the local G. R. Kinney Company's store,
and as stockholder in this corporation, which is the
largest shoe retailing organization in the world, he has
become quite prominent in the mercantile life of the
community. In a public capacity, Mr. Nelson stands
among the front rank citizens for his public spirit in
municipal affairs, having been a member of the local
Board of Health for many years and its secretary. He
has recently been appointed secretary of the Milk Ser-
vice Commission of this city, this body being the first
municipal Milk Service Commission appointed in the
United States, functioning for the purpose of distribut-
ing milk and milk products by direct municipal owner-
ship and control.

.August Frederick Nelson was born Jan. i, 1876, in
Sweden, the only child of Gustaf .A. and Margaret
(Johnson) Nelson. At the age of three and a half
years he was brought to the United States by his parents
who settled first in Antrim. Pa., removing thence to
LaSalle, 111., and eventually making their permanent home
in Buffalo, N. Y. August Frederick Nelson attended the
grammar schools of that city. After leaving school he
worked for various people, and during leisure hours he
acquired an education by self-study. In 1904 he came to
Jamestown and leased a store in the Fenton building,
at the corner of Second and Main streets, in which he
established himself in business. In 1907 he opened a
retail shoe store, which included a repairing department
equipped with modern machinery and giving employ-
ment to several men. The venture proved successful
and he became the head of a large and constantly grow-
ing business. In October, 1919, he disposed of this
business and interested himself in the G. R. Kinney
Shoe Company, assuming management of this local store.
While building up his trade in the shoe business he be-
came interested in real estate, and is now the owner of
many business blocks, tenements and dwellings, having
purchased and developed various properties from an
investment standpoint. He has built many fine blocks
and remodelled others. Opposite the Jamestown High
School he has built a brick block with stores, having all
modern improvements; on Winsor and Second streets he
has erected five stores, and on East Seventh street he
built several houses, and improved others elsewhere.

In the sphere of politics. Mr. Nelson is very active
on the side of the Republicans, rendering valuable ser-
vice as a speaker. For many years he has been a mem-
ber of the Board of Health and for about nine years
has served as its secretary. The careful study he has
made of preventative medicine peculiarly fits him for
service in the health department. He has been a mem-
ber of the Board of Commerce. His only club is the
Norden Club of Jamestown. He affiliates with the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, having passed the chairs
and during 1918 held the rank of noble grand, and is
a member of the Encampment.

Mr. Nelson married, at Niagara Falls, .Kpri! 2^. 1800



43^



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Mary, daughter of Joseph X. and Emma A. ^Waluiiiaii)
Boehler. of Hamburg. Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Kolson
are the parents of the following children : i. .Augustus C.
bom March 17. 1S9S, educated in the public and high
schools of Jamestown, and Albany Law School. 2. Nor-
man F.. bom Oct. 24. 1002, educated in the public
schools of Jamestown. 3. Elbert \'., born Sept. l6, 1913,
now attending the graded schools of this city.

Most emphatically Mr. Xelson is a self-made man;
he has acquired by his own efforts a knowledge of sub-
jects taught in high schools and colleges, and has read
with appreciation the works of English and American
scientists, as well as many other books of standard
literature. In any community he would be a valuable
man, and his fellow-citizens of Jamestown have evinced.
on many occasions and in various ways, their thorough
appreciation of his sterling character and fine abilities.



CARL A. ANDERSON, business manager of the
Jame;;own store of the J. G. McCrory Company, owners
of n\e and ten cent stores throughout the United States,
has been a resident of Jamestown for fourteen years,
and during that time has created a good impression,
being considered, by those who know him, as a good man
of business, as an efficient store manager, and as a
man of marked community interest

He was bom in Sweden. May 17, 1S79, the son of
Magnus O. and .\nna H. .\nderson, who came to this
country from Sweden, settled in Utah, where Mr. .An-
derson acquired a farm, which he operated until his
death: his widow resides in L'tah at the present time
0920>.

Carl \. .\ndcrson was educated in the public schools
of his native place, and when nineteen years of age
c?me to this country. He immediately went West, to
Omaha. N'eb.. and appears to have early grasped the
desirability of taking a commercial course of study. He
attended the Omaha Commercial College, and in due
course became a graduate, which was creditable, bear-
ing in mind that he had so recently arrived in the
country, and that the language would have been a
serious handicap to him in his study, ^\^^ile at school
he also worked, finding cmplo>nnent in a packing house
in Omaha. .Vfter graduating from the commercial col-
lege, he was a checker in the packing house for a year,
and then went into the employ of the McCrory Com-
pany, as ris?.ist,->nt manager of their Omaha store. He
held that position for nine months, and then received
appointment as manager of their store at Anderson,
Ind. .Xfter a service of eleven months at that place.



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 33 of 101)