John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 36 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 36 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Charles Edward worked on the farm and attended
school. At the age of twenty he engaged in the retail
meat business, meeting with such success that he con-
ducted his own establishment for thirteen years. \t the
end of that time he sold out and with the capital which he
had accumulated he purchased a farm, which he still
cultivates. In addition to his work as an agriculturist,
Mr. Brown has the ice business in Ripley village,
where he has a very attractive home. During the busy
season he employs as many as twenty hands. In politics
Mr. Brown is a Republican, and has at different times
been summoned by his fellow-citizens to fill many of the
offices at their disposal. He has held that of deputy
sherifif for thirteen years, his present term expiring in



446



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



IWI. For twenty-tive years he served on the School
Board, being president of the board from 1917 until the
present time (.19-^) : and for thirty years has been con-
stable, combining the office with that of probation officer.
He alfiliates with the Masonic fraternity, and attends the
Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Br.-iwn married. Nov. 12. 1SS4, Lizzie E., daughter
of Joel and .Mmira l Staples') Colvin, and they are the
parents of the following children : i. Carl K. W., edu-
cated in the common schools and high school of Ripley
and at Syracuse I'niversity. taking the degree of Bache-
lor of -\rts ; he is unmarried. 2. Bessie Marie, educated
in the same manner as her brother, including the libra-
rian's degree; married Clarence O. Johnson and became
the mother of one child, Marjorie; Mrs Johnson died
Dec. II. 1018. and Marjorie now lives with her maternal
grandparents. 3. Almira, educated as above, but did
not take a degree: married Louis .K. Pease, of North
East. Pa., superintendent of the Buffalo and Erie Trac-
tion Company, and they have three children, Charles
Louis. Ruth, and Edith. 4. Florence Lucy, educated
m Ripley grammar and high schools and at the New
Haven, (Conn..) Normal School of Gymnastics, now
physical training teacher in the Buflfalo, N. Y., schools.
5. Elizabeth Winifred, now attending Ripley High
School.

In all worthy ambitions Mr. Brown has been success-
ful, and his children, with the advantages he has given
them and the example he has set them, cannot fail to
be good citizens and blessings to their respective com-
n'uni'ie^.



DANIEL JAMES HARRINGTON, who for the
last tive or si.x years has been one of the most sub-
stantial farmers in Chautauqua township, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., farming an e.xtensive acreage, cannot
strictly be considered a native of the county, yet it is
almost due to him, for he lived in it for thirty-two of
the first thirty-three years of his life, and his father
owned a farm in Chautauqua countj' for more than
fifty years. The name Harrington can be found among
the early records of Chautauqua township, Chautauqua
county.

Daniel James Harrington had an interesting birth-
place: he was born in an emigrant wagon, near Oregon
Grove, now known as New Oregon, Iowa, July 2.S, 1855,
the son of James and Sarah (Raynor) Harrington. ?Iis
father had the sturdy spirit of the early pioneers, aiid
had left his Chautauqua county, N. Y., farm under
rental, and had gone into the unknown, but supposedly
rich western part of the United .States, seeking foe a
JiCtt'T farm holding, and with venturesome spirit harl
taken his wife with him. Within a year of the birtli of
Daniel James, the Harrington family retnrncrl to Chau-
tauqua county, and the fath'-r did not again go west-
ward. He trv,k up the cultivation rif his own farm in
Chautauqua township, and farmed it until his death.

Daniel J. Harrington received the whole of his .school-
ing in Chautauqua county district schools, and after-
ward", a-'^is'ed his father in the operation f>f the parental
farm. In iWi. however. Daniel James IlarringtriU
wa^ agnin in Iowa, and there acquired a farm of 77
acrei, which he farmed very successfully, and aiiprcci-
ably improved. He lived in Iowa until i';!.-;. when h''



was forced to return to Chautauqua county, N. Y., to
care for his interests there. He therefore sold his Iowa
farm, and took the management of the property be-
queathed to him by his father, a farm of 170 acres in
Chautauqua township, Chautauqua county, N. Y., later
buying also the Crossgrove homestead farm, which
adjoins the other, and is 125 acres in extent, so that he
now cultivates and owns almost 300 acres of agricultural
land, a big undertaking in these days of expensive and
scarce help. The land is in good condition, and the
improvements are mainly modern and quite adequate to
the requirements of the acreage; they were built either
by his father or by himself. Mr. Harrington has a
line herd of milch cows, all of which, with one excep-
tion, were raised by him, and are from registered stock.

Mr. Harrington has ample means to follow his incli-
nation in respect to the farms he owns, and he evidently
intends to have fine cattle, which probably in the end
will give ample return for the outlay. He is indefatig-
able in his work, has taken practically no recreation,
excepting in automobiling, for many years, and he prob-
ably will continue to get increasing yields from his two
farms, for he is an efficient farmer. Regarding his one
diversion from agricultural work, his possession of a
fine automobile may be attributed to his desire to meet
the wish of his younger daughter, Delia, to whom he
is devoted, and who has remained at home with her
parents.

In political allegiance he is a Republican, but has
not taken prominent part in national politics. His own
agricultural ties are so many and consequential, that
he does not feel that he can aflFord the time necessary to
participate actively in local affairs. He is, however, of
markedly generous spirit, and where it has been possible
to help local interests or movements by financial con-
tributions he has been ever ready to co-operate in that
way. And during the war just ended he contributed
very substantially to the various funds raised by the
government, and governmental agencies.

He has always manifested worthy characteristics of
steadiness and self-reliance, and he early entered upon
the serious responsibilities of life; he was only twenty-
one years old when he married Helen Smith, Dec. 24,
1S76. They have two children : i. Edna, born in Chau-
tauqua county, N. Y., married James Oliver, an ener-
getic and successful young farmer in Iowa. 2. Delia,
born in Iowa ; she entered the teaching profession, but
since the family returned to New York State she has
remained at Imme.

Daniel James Harrington is continuing the long asso-
ciation of the Harrington family with Chautauqua
county and is making that association more conse-
quential. He is a man of fine characteristics, and the
regard for him by tlie people of the district will increase
as the years pass, and the people of tlie township become
more acquainted with his commendable qualities; and
his farminr of la) acres is one of the appreciable
a'.^ricnltnral enterprises of the county.



JACOB WILLIAM BELSON— For nearly half a
century Mr. P.elson li:is bei-ti numbered among the pros-
perous farmers of K'iplcy, whillier he came with a fund
of cxperieine i^-itlirrrd in cither places. As a citizen
hr Ii;is always been ipiiitly active and unnbtriisively in-




?l^, Q^^^^^^'^^ < ^^ O.




BIOGRAPHICAL



447



fluential for all that he deemed best calculated to serve
the true interests of his commimity.

Jacob William Belson was born Nov. 14, 1850, in
Great Yarmouth, England, and is a son of John and
Elizabeth (Pastel) Belson, who emigrated to the United
States and settled in Norfolk county, N. Y. At this time
Jacob William Belson was two years of age, and he
attended the schools of Norfolk county until reaching
his thirteenth year. As a youth he engaged in farming,
sometimes in Michigan and sometimes in New York
State. In 1870 he came to Ripley, where he purchased
the farm on which he now lives. The estate comprises
115 acres and was wild land when Mr. Belson became
possessed of it, all the improvements which it now boasts
being his own work. He has fifty acres of grape vine-
yard which he set out himself and an orchard which he
planted. He not only cleared the land, but built the
house and constructed the barns and outbuildings.
For some years he has had a residence in the village
of Ripley, but pa\-s almost daily visits to his farm,
giving the closest attention to all his affairs. In political
principle Mr. Belson is a Republican, always voting with
that party. In community affairs he has ever taken a
helpful interest and at various times has served as school
collector. His family are members of the Protestant
Episcopal church.

Mr. Belson married. Feb. 6, 1876, Ellen Hardgener,
of Ripley, and the following children have been born to
them: Ann Elizabeth, wife of Harry Walker, a real
estate man of Providence, R. I. ; John ; and Charles,
married Rose Belson (no relation).

During his long residence in Ripley, Mr. Belson has
not only achieved material prosperity, but has won the
cordial friendship of his neighbors and commanded
the respect of the entire community.



PETER CADY, a native of Saratoga county, N. Y.,
where his birth occurred Dec. i, 1829, was a son of
Calvin and Polly Cady. He came to Jamestown, Chau-
tauqua county, N. Y., when a young man, and was here
engaged principally as a farmer and gardener. He was
one of the ardent members of the local grange. Patrons
of Husbandry, a staunch Democrat and an ardent
admirer of Horace Greeley. Mr. Cady was a man of
affairs and had many friends. He was one of the repre-
sentative citizens of his city and did everything possi-
ble to advance the welfare of his community. He was
a member of the lodge. Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen,

Mr. Cady married Helen Sherwin and they were the
parents of two children, as follows : Willis C, of whom
further; and Nellie C, born April 9, 1861, died April
21, 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Cady adopted a daughter.
Mary L-, born Oct. 17, 1857, who became the wife of
Albert C. Brunson, to whom she has borne four chil-
dren : Grace, Lulu, Florence, and Ruth.

Undoubtedly one of the most venerable and deeply
beloved figures in the life of Jamestown is that of ATrs.
Cady, who after a long and active career is now (1920)
living in the home with her son, Willis C. Cady, at
Jamestown. Mrs. Cady was born Feb. 25. 1838, in
Jamestown, and as a girl had the usual educational
advantages for the time, attending the local public
school and the Old Jamestown Academv. She is a



member of the old Sherwin family of this region, a
daughter of Milton and Flora (Griffith) Sherwin,
highly esteemed residents of Jamestown, where the
former named was engaged in business as a carpenter
and pattern maker for many years. Mrs. Cady is a
Methodist in religious belief, and she and the members
of her family attend the Methodist church at Falconer,
in which she still takes an active part, as well as in
other organizations. She graduated from the Chautau-
qua Literary and Scientific Circle at Chautauqua in the
class of 1915.

Willis C. Cady, only son of Peter and Helen (Sher-
win) Cady, was born in Jamestown, N. Y., Oct. 28, 1859.
He was educated in the district and high schools of
Jamestown. In early life he was engaged in the occu-
pation of farming, and later followed the wood working
trade. In 1895, after the death of his father, he ac-
quired a small farm in the town of Ellicott, and since
then has followed the occupation of gardening thereon.
He is a member of the American Mechanics .Associa-
tion, and in politics is a Democrat, but acts independent-
ly in casting his vote.

Mr. Cady married, in Frewsburg, N. Y., Sept. 21, 1882,
Nellie Fox, by whom he has one daughter. Bertha
Nellie, born May 11, 1883, now the wife of Lee W.
Swart, of Washington, D. C, and they are the parents
of one child, Leslie Swart.



NELSON AUGUSTUS JOHNSON, D. O.—

Among the many prominent men of Swedish origin
who have made Chautauqua county their home, no name
stands higher than that of Dr. Nelson Augustus John-
son, who has been active in medical circles here for a
number of years and who has built up a large practice
in his profession and a reputation of the highest order
during that time. Dr. Johnson was born in Sweden,
March 3, 1866, a son of John Nelson and Clara (Nel-
son) Johnson, the former a farmer in Sweden, where
his death occurred. The elder Mr. Johnson and his
wife were the parents of the following children: Anna
M., who resides in Sweden ; Carl J., who came to this
country and settled at Rutland, Vt., Elizabeth, who
resides with her mother at Rutland, Vt. ; Alfred, who
is employed as a foreman in the carpentry department
of the New England Butt Company, a concern known
all over the world, with headquarters at Providence, R.
I. ; Nelson Augustus, with whose career we are here
especially concerned.

Dr. Johnson obtained his elementary education in the
grammar schools in his native country, and when old
enough engaged in farming there and also secured a
position in a grist mill, where he remained for three
years. After his father's death, when twenty years of
age, he came to the LTnited States, his mother coming
later, and for a time worked in the iron mines in Essex
and Clinton counties, N. Y. He was advanced to the
position of foreman of a slope and held this post for
five years. He then served an apprenticeship in a
machine and tool-making establishment and followed
this occupation for about fifteen years. The young man
was, however, exceedingly ambitious and was deter-
mined upon a professional career, with which end in
view he entered in 1004 the .American School of Osteo-
pathy, at Kirkville, N. Y. He was graduated with the



448



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



class of 1906 with the degree of D. O., and in the same
year passed the examination of the State Board of Ex-
aminers. He then came to Fredonia and opened an
office here in the month of July, 1906, began the prac-
tice of his profession and has remained actively engaged
ever since. In u>X) he opened another office at Dunkirk,
N. Y., extended his practice largely, and now enjoys a
splendid reputation both for skill and for the high
standards of professional ethics which he has main-
tained throughout the region. Dr. Johnson is a promi-
nent figure in the general life of Fredonia, and is a
mcml>er of many fraternal organizations in this place.
He is affiliated witli the .\ncient Free and .\ccepted
Masons, Royal Arch Masons, Knights Templar, Ancient
Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Sovereign
Princess of the Royal Secret, and has taken his thirty-
second degree in Free Masonry. He is also a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the
Atlas Club of the American School of Osteopathy. In
religious belief Dr. Johnson is a Methodist and attends
the church of that denomination at Fredonia. He is
active in church work and has held a number of offices
in connection with the congregation, including those of
steward and superintendent of the Sunday school, and
financial secretary of the official hoard. He is a Re-
publican in politics, and a strong advocate of prohibition.
Dr. Ji>hnson was united in marriage at Plattsburg,
Clinton county, X. Y., April 29, 1807, with .Mice V.
Hilton, of Dunkirk, a daughter of William and Mary
(Frizzein Hilton, old and highly respected residents
of that place. They are the parents of one daughter,
Florence Dorothv.



EMMET HAMILTON ROSS— Prominent among
the yo'ire professional nun nf the city of Jamestown is
Emmet Hamilton Ross. .\s an attorney of law, Mr.
Ross stands well abreast in the Chautauqua county
bar, and is a member of the well known law firm of
Rice & Ross, with offices at Suite 200 — Squier's Court,
in Jamestown.

Emmet Hamilton Ross was liorn in Rochester, N.
Y.. Oct. 14, 18S7, son of William and Louise J. (Nye)
Ross. His parents for a number of years resided in
Rochester, where they were well known and highly
respected ; later they moved to Jamestown. Eirimet
Hamilton Ross attended the public schools of Roches-
ter until the family came to Jamestown, in looi, and
here he rompleted his grammar school education. He
entered the Jamestown High School and graduated
with honors in \<fyj as president of the senior class.
I'c-ides iKfinK well identified as a student at high school,
Mr. Ross was prominent in athletics. After leaving
hit'h 'ch<-)ol he matriculated in the law department of the
.Mbany Law School. .Albany, N. Y., and two >ears later,
iti X't^f), was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of
Law. A year later, in 1910. he was admitted to the New
Y'Tk Stale bar and began the practice of law in the city
of Jam<stown, where he has since been identified.

Mr. Koss' first venture in the legal world was in
partnership with the well knr.wn late James L. Weel<s.
This partnership continued for seven years, up to the
lime of thf- death of Mr. Weeks. In T91K, Mr, Ross
j'.in'-d Joset)h F. Rirc and this l.iw firm has been known
as Rice &• Ross, and has acquired a large and well estab-
lished practice in Jamestown and throughout the county.



Their former address was in the Chadakoin building,
but on Dec. i, 1920, they acquired ownership of Squier's
Court adjacent to the previous address. Squier's Court
contains many suitable offices and some commercial
space, and in a section of it is located the well equipped
law office of Rice & Ross.

Mr. Ross is prominent in a number of other things
outside of his profession, being vice-president of the
Sportsmen's Supply Company, Inc., of Jamestown, N.
Y., formerly a member of Company E, 74th Infantry,
which served on the Mexican Border in 1916, member
of the Delta Chi, College fraternity, and the Fraternal
Order of Eagles at Jamestown. In the matter of poli-
tics, Mr. Ross does not take an active part, but is a
firm believer in the principles of the Republican party.

He married, in Jamestown, April 10, 1912, Anna
Frances Britton, daughter of Edward R, and Ella
(West) Britton.



CHARLES WILLIAM MERRICK— A native son
of Jamestown, Mr. Herrick has attained position in the
business world of his city as financier and manufacturer,
being first vice-president of the Bank of Jamestown,
and president of the C. W. Herrick Manufacturing Com-
pany of Falconer. He is a son of .Anson L. and Eliza-
beth A. (Devoe) Herrick, his father a farmer,

Charles W. Herrick was born in Jamestown, N. Y.,
Nov. 19, 1867, and there has spent his years, fifty-
three. He was educated in the public schools, and after
graduation from high school completed his school term
with a course at a Bryant & Stratton Business College.
At the age of nineteen, he became an employee of the
Chautauqua County National Bank, and for ten years,
1S86-1896, was connected with that institution. In
ig03, when the Bank of Jamestown was organized, Mr.
Herrick was one of the incorporators, being elected
vice-president, also chairman of the executive com-
mittee, offices he has held until the present, 1920, He
holds intimate connection with the manufacturing inter-
ests of the city as president of the C. W. Herrick
Manufacturing Company, a corporation engaged in
manufacturing furniture, with their plant at Falconer.
Whether considered as banker or manufacturer, Mr.
Herrick measures up to all requirements and has always
met every demand made upon his business sagacity.
Mr. Herrick is affiliated with both rites of the Masonic
order, being a member of Mt. Moriah Lodge, chapter,
council, and Jamestown Commandery; he holds the
thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish
Rite; and is a noble of Isniailia Temple, Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. His clubs are the Rotary, Jamestown,
Sportsman's, and Moon Brook Golf. He is a member
of the F'irst Presbyterian Church of Jamestown, and
president of the board of trustees.

Mr. Herrick married, in Jamestown, N. Y., June 7,
1894, Oertnidr V,. Proiulfit, daughter of William H. and
Ellen E. (Hall) Proudfit, her father one of J.amcstown's
vi-tcran business nun, her mother of the eminent Hall
family of Jamestown and Chautauqua county.

This brief review reveals Mr. Herrick as a man of
energy and ability, interested in the social and religions
activities of his city as well as in its material side. All
good causes appeal to him ;ind he is always ready to
"lend a hand." To his interest and careful supervision
the chapter on "Banks" in this work is due.




Qy^''(AA.ct^'u^



BIOGRAPHICAL



449



WILTON H. DeLANEY, well known dry goods
merchant of Jamestown, and considered an expert in
this business, had many years of experience in merchan-
dising before becoming the president of the well known
concern, DeLaney & Throop, Inc., at Nos. 14-16 North
Main street, Jamestown. Wilton H. DeLaney is a
native of Stockton, Chautauqua county, N. Y., born
March 20, 1858, son of Jonathan and Maryette (Howard)
DeLaney. The elder Mr. DeLaney was a well known
resident of Stockton, where he kept a general store, and
was a justice of the peace before his removal to Cherry
Creek in this county.

Wilton H. DeLaney attended the village schools of
Stockton and later Cherry Creek, this being followed
by a course at Randolph Institute, Randolph, N. Y.
When he was but eighteen years of age he had a firm
desire to start out and earn his own livelihood, and
connected himself in a line of business which afterwards
proved him to be one of the leaders of the mercantile
life of Jamestown. His first attempt was at Panama,
N. Y., where he clerked in a general store for one year,
after which he was in the employ of DeForest Weld
in the latter's stores, first at Bradford, Pa., and then at
Jamestown, N. Y., where he remained until about 1884,
when Mr. Weld went out of business. Following this
he became connected with the well known merchant,
A. D. Sharpe, in whose employ he remained for a period.
The subsequent fourteen years were spent respectively
with the old merchants, Scofield & Adams, later changed
to Scofield & Dinsmore, whose interests were disposed
to Jones & Audette, after the death of Mr. Dinsmore.

It was in the year 1904 that Mr. DeLaney, after work-
ing diligently in the pursuit of merchandising, particu-
larly of dry goods, felt himself experienced enough to
embark in this endeavor himself; he formed a partner-
ship with the late Henry W. Throop, and with a small
capital started a dry goods store at No. 16 North Main
street. The small beginning prospered, and five years
later they added two more floor spaces above the street
floor, one being directly over the original address. No.
r6 North Main street, and the other over an adjoining
store at No. 14. A few years later, in 1917, they further
expanded and took the adjoining floor space on the street
at No. 14, thereby giving them spacious quarters in which
to conduct their growing business. The building has
been remodeled and improved, and now it has a double
store with basements ; first and second floors, at Nos.
14 and 16 North Main street, making it the second
largest dry goods store in Chautauqua county. The title
in 1917 become DeLaney & Throop, Inc., Mr. Throop
being the president until his death, Aug. 2, 1920, and Mr.
DeLaney secretary and treasurer. After Mr. Throop's
death, Mr. DeLaney succeeded to the presidency, and
R. M. Stewart, a long time employee, became secretary
and treasurer.

As a business corporation, DeLaney & Throop have
a most excellent reputation as conservative merchants
of high standing. Their customers number among the
well known families of Chautauqua county, and the
mark of quality can truly be placed upon the goods
handled by this concern. This firm now conducts a
large, general dry goods business and is a shopping
center for Jamestown and the surrounding country.

Mr. DeLaney married, in Jamestown, June 16, 1887,



Harriet, daughter of G. C. and Loretta (Butler) Smith.
Mr. Smith was a well known resident of this city, a
veteran of the Civil War, being commissioned a captain
near the close of hostilities. Mr. and Mrs. DeLaney
have one daughter, Florence L., now the wife of Henry
L. Beakes, a chemist of Louisville, Ky.

Aside from his own business, Mr. DeLaney has been
active in the general afi'airs of the city. He is one of
the Exempt Firemen of Jamestown, member of the
Chamber of Commerce, the Fraternal Order of Eagles,
and the various Masonic bodies. Politically he is a



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 36 of 101)