John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 38 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 38 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


also Mr. Pickard made a marked success and continued
to fill this responsible post for about seven years. In
1895 he returned to the East, having severed his connec-
tion with the New York Life, and settled at Jamestown.

Before going to the West, Mr. Pickard had taken up
the study of law and, upon returning to Jamestown, he
resumed his study of this subject, which he pursued to
such good purpose that he was admitted to the practice
of law in June, 1898. He then opened offices in the El-
licott building and engaged in the general practice of his
profession, meeting with a high degree of success from
the outset. Later he changed his location to the Well-
man building, where his headquarters are at the present
time. He conducts a large legal practice, making a spe-
cialty of corporation and business law. He has engaged
in the trial of many cases, some of which have been
among the most important held within the county. In Feb-
ruary, 1920, he took into partnership Hugh V. N. Bodine,
formerly of Friendship, N. Y., who is now associated
with him under the firm name of Pickard & Bodine. Mr.
Pickard is a member of the Jamestown Bar Association,
the New York State Bar Association, and the Lawyers'
Club of Buffalo.

In addition to his law practice, Mr. Pickard has actively
engaged in many business enterprises in Jamestown and
Chautauqua county. He has been a member of the board
of directors of a number of important business con-
cerns. During the participation of the United States in
the great World War, Mr. Pickard served his country



efficiently and well in the responsible office of United
States Food .Administrator for Chautauqua county.

Mr. Pickard is prominent in fraternal circles, especially
in the Masonic order, in which he has taken the thirty-
second degree in Freemasonry, and is a member of :
Mount Moriah Lodge, Free and .Accepted Masons ; West-
ern Sun Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; Jamestown Coun-
cil, Royal and Select Masters ; Jamestown Commandery,
Knights Templar; Ismailia Temple, Ancient .Arabic
Order Nobles- of the Mystic Shrine; and Buffalo Con-
sistory, Sovereign Princes of the Royal Secret.

Clare A. Pickard married, Feb. 25, 1896, Rachael Giles,
a daughter of Benjamin and Rachael (Longshore) Giles.
To Mr. and Mrs. Pickard were born three children, as
follows : Clarence Giles, who is now a student at Ham-
ilton College, with the class of 1921 ; Rachael Long-
shore, a high school student with the class of 1922; and
Rozilla Putnam, aged ten years.



HENRY LEWORTHY— Were Mr. Leworthy to
be classed according to his business, "antiquarian" would
be his classification, for his storerooms at No. 32 West
Main street, Fredonia, are filled with old furniture, pic-
tures, curios, engravings, silver, pewter, china, glass and
brass, a veritable "Curiosity Shop." But the character
of the man varies greatly from the classification, for in
heart, spirit and deed he is progressive, alert and help-
ful. He radiates kindliness and helpfulness, and "Ye
Olde Booke Shoppe" is a favorite resting place for both
town and country folk. Nearly half a century ago he
first made Fredonia his abiding place, and there are few,
or rather none, in the village or town who do not know
him. He is a native son of Chautauqua, born in the town
of Villenova, of English-Irish parents, his father, Wil-
liam Beer Leworthy, of North Devon, England, and his
mother, Mary Jamison, of Waterford, Ireland. They
were married in the village of Johnson Creek, Niagara
county, N. Y., in 1855, lived in Chautauqua county,
1855-60, Niagara county, 1860-67, then in the State of
Michigan until the husband's death, in 1878. Mrs. Mary
(Jamison) Leworthy died in Michigan, in 1904.

The Leworthys are an old Devonshire family ; the
little village of Charles, about nine miles distant from the
city of Barnstable, has been the family home for about
four centuries. In the village church, visited by Mr.
Leworthy while on tour abroad, the register dates back
to 1531. In that record the sixth marriage entry is that
of John Leworthie and Englishe Bright, the date June
28, 1547. On the largest of the five bells in the old
church tower he found the inscription : "Given to the
parish by George Leworthy, Gentlemen, in 1733, during
the pastorate of John Rosier." John Leworthy, great-
grandfather of Henry Leworthy, was an English soldier
and fought under Wellington at Waterloo.

Henry Leworthy was born in the town of Villenova,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., Aug. 2, 1856. He was taken
by his parents to Southern Michigan in 1867, but in l86g
returned to Villenova and entered the employ of his
uncle, Edwin Leworthy, a merchant in the village of
Hamlet. In that country store he developed a taste for
mercantile life and there remained until 1875, when he
became a student at the Fredonia State Normal, con-
tinuing until 1878. In that year and for twelve years



454



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



thereafter, he was a clerk in the Jesse K. Starr store in
Fredonia, leaving in iSiX) to become a partner with Bert
Belden. they trading as Belden &: Leworthy, dealers in
groceries and crocker>'. The partnership existed until
lOoS: Mr. Leworthy then served as town assessor for a
time. .\t tlie failure of Dorset Brothers he bought their
drug and grocen- business, soon closing out the drugs
and later selling the groccrv stock to the firm of Annas
& Dorset.

In the spring of igiS Mr. Leworthy opened "Ye Olde
Booke Shoppe" at Xo. 3,- ^^'cst Main street, and there
continues, a dealer in books and antiques. He has a won-
derful collection of old china, that having long been a
specialty with him, and he possesses some pieces of great
historical interest and value. His collection of antique
furniture is remarkable and includes pieces rare and
valuable. He is considered an authority, especially upon
old china, and has given little addresses upon the subject
to gatherings of persons interested in the ceramic art.

Mr. Leworthy is interested in the preservation of local
history and has aided in the gathering of material for
this present work. Anything historic in books, pictures,
china or furniture, possesses a peculiar interest for him,
and their collection and arranging is his favorite recrea-
tion. He has been an official member of the First Metho-
dist church of Fredonia for over forty years, and is an
active, interested member of the County Committee of the
Young Men's Christian Association. All good works
appeal to him and his time is freely given to helpful
church or association work. During the World War
period, 1917-18, he gave himself unreservedly to war
work of various kinds and was one of the enthusiastic
"drive" workers.

Mr. Leworthy married, Sept. 2, 1885, Arabelle Wheeler,
daughter of Dan and Mary A. (Kirkland) Wheeler. The
Wheelers and Kirklands were early settlers of the town
of Hanover. Mr. and Mrs. Leworthy are the parents of
two sons: i. Ralph Hall, born Nov. s, iSoo; a veteran
of the World War, serving with the 306th Machine Gun
Battalion. Si.x weeks after leaving Fredonia he was in
Northern France, where his outfit engaged in many
historic battles, and fought up to the signing of the
armistice. 2. Henry K., born Aug. 15, 1806; also a vet-
eran of the World War, a member of the First Division,
Third Battalion, Naval Militia, of the State of New
York. Three days after President Wilson's declaration
of a state of war existing between the United States
and Germany he was in active service, serving fiom
Easter Sunday, 1917. until July i, 1919. During this time
he crossed the .■\tlantic ocean twenty-eight times.

The Ix;worlhy brothers arc the authorized agents for
the Ford .\utomobile Company for the city and town of
Dunkirk.



LEVI LUCE — Among the prominent merchants of
Kllington, Chautar'iua county. N. Y., is Levi Luce, a
native of this plar<-, whi-re his birth occurred Aug. 14,
1874, and a son of Joseph and I-ucy (Simons) Lu( r, the
former a prominent farmer nf these parts for many
years. I>-vi F^urc obtained his education at (he public
vhry/l- of Ellington and the Ellington High .School.
Ulf<n completing his studies at the latter institution, Mr.
Ellington began his business career by opening a general
store, and met with notable success from the outs't



Since that time Mr. Luce has developed a large and suc-
cessful business and his establishment is regarded as one
of the finest of its kind in the community to-day. Mr.
Luce has not confined himself to the carrying on of his
private business but has become affiliated with a number
of important financial institutions in this region. He has
always taken a keen interest in public affairs and at the
present time holds the office of justice of the peace at
Ellington, where he has established an enviable record
on account of his just and impartial treatment of all
who come before him in that capacity. Mr. Luce is a
Free Methodist in his religious belief and attends the
church of that denomination at Ellington.

Levi Luce married, Feb. 7, 1900, at Ellington, Minnie
Pritchard, a native of this place, where her birth oc-
curred March 23, 1876, and a daughter of Amos and
Anna (Wilcox) Pritchard.



CHARLES HENRY WIBORG, well known law-
yer and prominent in various activities of civic, fra-
ternal and club life of Jamestown, is a native of this city,
having been born here Oct. 30, 1873, son of Jacob N.
and Christine (Ahlstrom) Wiborg. The elder Mr.
Wiborg was a native of Sweden and was among the first
settlers of this nationality to come to Chautauqua county.
He was engaged for many years in the manufacture of
pianos, being connected with the Ahlstrom Piano Com-
pany of Jamestown. To Mr. and Mrs. Jacob N. and
Christine (Ahlstrom) Wiborg were born five children:
Charles Henry, the subject of this sketch ; Jennie M.,
deceased; Florence W., who became the wife of T. H.
W. Meredith, of Jamestown; Lillian, who became the
wife of H. H. Roberts, also of this city; and Leonard,
deceased.

Charles Henry Wiborg has spent his entire life in
Jamestown, having been educated in the public schools
and Jamestown High School, graduating from the lat-
ter in 1893. As a youth he determined upon law as a
profession and accordingly entered the law offices of
Green & Woodbury, prominent attorneys of Jamestown,
where he read law for two years. He then matriculated
at the law school of Cornell University, from which he
was graduated in 1897 with the degree of LL. D. He
began general practice in his profession on July 29 of
the same year in Jamestown, and for a time was in part-
nership with C. D. Babcock. fn 1904 this association
was discontinued and since that time Mr. Wiborg has
practiced alone, with ofiices in the Fenton building.

Mr. Wiborg is a man of much versatility and has been
identified with many important movements of Jamestown
and the county, and is widely known. During the great
World War, liis patriotic endeavors were appreciated in
the various campaigns of the Liberty I^oans, the Red
Cross, Young Men's Christian Association, and the
United War Work Drives. In every movement of this
kind he gave much of his time, and was a most active
and energetic worker. Mr. Wiborg may be considered an
e.xiK-rt in creating a sentiment of good fellowship and
cheer in the many things he has been asked to give his
leadership to. He has been in much demand as a cheer
and song leader at many public banquets and other funr-
(iriiis held by the civic, church, fraternal and club organi-
zations in this city and all over the county.






^''




'^h-<




£^r6. JLctJi Hucc



BIOGRAPHICAL



455



Mr. Wiborg is eminently a strong community fignrer
and public-spirited. In all his activities he never loses
sight of the interest and promotion of good fellowship
among his fellow-citizens.

The review, herewith, gives a number of the affiliations
in which he has been prominent. Politically he is a
staunch Republican. At the present time he is an acting
judge of the City Court; transfer tax appraiser for
Chautauqua county since June, 1916; member of the
New York State Motor Federation ; Legislative Com-
mittee, and has done much for the advancement of good
roads and road regulations ; member of the Jamestown
Bar Association, of which he has been secretary and
treasurer since 1906. His fraternal and club organiza-
tions are : The Ancient Free and Accepted Masons,
being a member of its Blue Lodge, chapter, commandery
and shrine ; he is one of the organizers and was one of
the first directors of the Rotary Club ; member of the
Norden Club; the Jamestown Automobile Club, of which
he was secretary in 1915; the Chadakoin Boat Club, of
which he has been commodore for nine years ; trustee for
twelve years of the Jamestown High School Alumni As-
sociation ; and member of the First Methodist Episcopal
Church of Jamestown.



BRAINARD T. HARKNESS— A residence of forty
years in Jamestown has made the name we have just
written so familiar to a majority of her citizens as to
render wholly unnecessary any introductory clause or par-
agraph. Not only is the name of Mr. Harkness familiar,
but any mention of it is always greeted with respect,
inasmuch as it is the name of a veteran of the Civil War
and an upright, public-spirited citizen.

The following is the "Mayflower" lineage of the Hark-
ness family :

(I) Edward Doty, came in the "Mayflower" in 1620.
He married, Jan. 6, 1634, Faith Clark, born 1619, prob-
ably a second wife, daughter of Tristram Clark.

(H) John Doty, son of Edward and Faith (Clark)
Doty, was born at Plymouth, Mass., 1639. He married,
about 1667, Elizabeth Cook, born in 1648, daughter of
Jacob Cook, born in Holland, who was a son of Francis
Cook, who came in the "Mayflower," 1620.

(HI) John (2) Doty, son of John (l) and Elizabeth
(Cook) Doty, was born at Plymouth, Mass., .A.ug, 24,
1668. He married, February, 1692, Mehitable Nelson,
born April 5, 1670, daughter of John and Sarah (Wood)
Nelson. John Nelson, born 1647, was son of W. Nelson,
who came early to New England, and married Martha
Ford.

(IV) John (3) Doty, son of John (2) and Mehitable
(Nelson) Doty, was born at Plymouth, Mass., Feb. 5,
1700. He married, July 8, 1724, Lidiah Dunham, born
1704, daughter of Elisha and Johanna Dunham. The
Dunhams were early at Plymouth.

(V) Ebenezer Doty, son of John (3) and Lidiah
(Dunham) Doty, was born 1727. He married, June 12,
1750, Mary Whiting.

(VI) Amaziah Doty, son of Ebenezer and Mary
(Whiting) Doty, was born at Plymouth, Mass., May 17,
1756, died at Cazenovia, N. Y., Jan. 24, 1833. He mar-
ried, 1779, Bertha Hamlin, of Banistable, Mass. They
moved to Lee, Mass.; fifteen years later they moved to



Bennington, Vt. ; a short time thereafter they moved to
Granville, N. Y., then to Chenango county, N, Y., and
about 1813 to Cazenovia, N. Y.

(VII) Mary Doty, daughter of Amaziah and Bertha
(Hamlin) Doty, was born at Lee, Mass., June 20. 1786.
She married, at Granville, N. Y., November, 1805, Jacob
Harkness.

(VIII) Henderson Harkness, son of Jacob and Mary
(Doty) Harkness, was born in Granville, N. Y., 1816.
He was twelve years old when his parents moved to
Salem, Washington county, N. Y., where they were
pioneer settlers. Henderson Harkness was a farmer all
his life, owning and operating for many years a farm in
Salem township. Later he moved to North Greenwich,
N. Y., where he also engaged in farming, settling, when
he retired from active life, in the village of Greenwich,
where he passed the remainder of his days. Mr. Hark-
ness married Sarah Ann Bishop, of Lyons, N. Y., and
both he and his wife passed away in their home in
Greenwich. They were members of the Methodist Epis-
copal church. Mrs. Harkness was born in Dutchess
county, N. Y., daughter of William and Sarah Ann
(Dunning) Bishop. Mr. and Mrs. Harkness were the
parents of five children : Julia, Brainard T., Edward,
Sarah, and William.

(IX) Brainard T. Harkness, son of Henderson and
Sarah Ann (Bishop) Harkness, was born July 3, 1845,
in Salem, Washington countv', N. Y.. and was reared to
farm life, acquiring his education in Salem school. While
still a boy he exchanged the quiet environment of the
country for that of the camp and the battle field, enlist-
ing, Dec. 26, 1861, for a term of three years, in Company
D, 4th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery, under Cap-
tain Jones and Colonel Doubleday. On Dec. 28, 1863,
he reenlisted, as a veteran, as corporal in the same com-
pany and regiment, and participated in the battles of the
Wilderness and Spottsylvania, receiving. May ig. 1864,
at Spottsylvania. a wound in the left knee which sent
him to the field hospital and later to the Lincoln Hospital
in Washington. Later he was sent to the hospital at
Davids Island, Long Island Sound, and finally to the hos-
pital in Albany, N. Y., whence he was transferred to the
Veteran Reserve Corps, April 15, 1865, received his dis-
charge at Indianapolis. Ind., Oct. 3, 18^5.

On returning home, Mr. Harkness learned the black-
smith's trade in Greenwich, and followed it in that town,
later going to Cambridge, N. Y., where he enga.ged in
general blacksmithing on his own account for a period of
ten years. In 1879, Mr. Harkness came to Jamestown
and established himself as a blacksmith on Second street,
but at the end of a year obtained a position as black-
smith and iron worker in the Jamestown Worsted Mills,
which were then under the supcrintendency of the late
Samuel Briggs. Mr. Harkness has now, for forty years,
been continuously employed by this corporation, which is
one of the oldest in Jamestown. In politics, Mr. Hark-
ness is a staunch Republican. He belongs to James M.
Brown Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of James-
town, in which he has filled many offices, including that
of post commander.

Mr. Harkness married. Feb. 10, 1875. in Jamestown,
Effie B. Tefft, a native of that place, daughter of Benja-
min Franklin and Harriet (Hanchett) Tefft, grand-



456



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



daughter of Benjamin Cottrell and Margaret (Xelson)
Tent, and great-granddaughter of Asa Tefft. a Revohi-
tionar>- soldier. Her grandfather ser^'ed as a soldier in
the War of 1S12. and her father served in the Civil War,
was quartermaster sergeant in Company E, 21st New
York Ca\-alry, discharged Sept. 9, 1S60, at Camp Collins,
Col. Mrs. Harkness is a niece of Lathrop L. Hanchett,
justice of the peace, and the late Theodore D. Hanchett,
of Jamestown. Mr. and Mrs. Harkness are the parents
of a son and a daughter: Louis Tefft Harkness. super-
intendent of the -Automatic Registering Machine Com-
pany of Jamestown, who married Myrtle Guild; and
Harriet M. Hark-ness. Mrs. Harkness is a woman of
culture, devoted to household ties. She is a past presi-
dent of tlie Woman's Relief Corps. The beautiful fam-
ily home, which was built by Mr. Harkness some years
ago. is situated on Winsor street, Jamestown.

If to make a good record as soldier, citizen, and busi-
ness man is to succeed, Brainard T. Harkness must cer-
tainly be counted a successful man, especially as, over and
above the causes for congratulation already mentioned, he
has won the high respect and warm regard of his neigh-
bors and fellow-citizens.



HARVEY FRANKLIN JONES, the well known
business man of Falconer, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
is a native of Pine Grove, Warren county. Pa., bom
April 14, 1859, a son of Jehu P. and Harriett CHerrick')
Jones, old and highly respected residents of that place.
The elder Mr. Jones was a farmer by occupation, and
died about twenty-five years ago. He was a native of
Pine Grove townsliip, as was also his wife, and he was
for many years well known as a leading Republican
there. Harvey Franklin Jones is a great-grandson of
Isaiah Jones, who took part in the Revolutionary War
and served under General Washington. He was a man
of unusual ability, and could speak the Indian language,
so that he became a well known figure in the dealings
of the early .\mericans with their savage neighbors.

The early life of Harvey Franklin Jones was passed
in his native region, and it was there that he gained his
education, attending the local district schools for this
purp'^se. While still quite a youth, however, he aban-
doned his studies and secured a position on a neighboring
farm, working for a time both for his father and for
fAhcr agriculturalists in the region. Upon attaining his
majority, Mr. Jones secured a position with E. H.
French, of Russell, Pa., who was engaged in the feed
business there, and remained with him for two years.
Desiring to be engaged in business on his own account,
Mr. Jones then took charge of the mill at Kinzua, War-
ren county. Pa., which he operated for about five years.
While he resided in Kinzua, Mr. Jones held the office of
constable for the township and discharged the duties of
this office lor three years. He then removed tr) McKcan
county, Pa., where he worker! for the firm of ["rench &
VirUcH, who conducted a large lumber business in that
rogion. For two years he was superintendent of that
ronccm. and in if</> came to Falconer, N. Y., and en-
gaged in th': meat bu.sincss, founding the City Meat
Market on Main street. F-'or two years he continued in
thi< mtcriirisc, with a high degree of success, by him-
Jcll, and then admitted as a (lartner E. L. Elderkin, an



association which continued for three years longer. At
the end of tluit period, Mr. Jones sold out his interest in
the business and formed the Falconer Milling Company,
Inc., of which he was elected the president and manager,
an office which he continued to hold until igoo. In that
year, Mr. Jones was elected to the office of town clerk
of Ellicott, and served the community in that capacity
for a period of eleven years. He is a staunch Republican
in politics, and in addition to his post as town clerk has
also served as assessor to the town of Ellicott, and was
twice elected a trustee of the village. In 1913 Mr. Jones
sold his interest in the milling business and entered the
grocery business, opening an establishment at No. 67
West Main street. Still later he repurchased his old mill-
ing concern at Falconer, to which he was again elected
president and general manager, an office that he con-
tinues to hold at the present time. Mr. Jones attends St.
Luke's Episcopal Church at Jamestown, and has been
active in supporting the work of the parish, liberally sup-
porting its philanthropic and benevolent undertakings.

Mr. Jones was united in marriage, Dec. 5, 1888, at Rus-
sell, Warren county. Pa., with Estelle French, who was
born at Pine Grove, a daughter of Edwin H. and El-
lenore (Jones) French, the former a native of Massachu-
setts, who came to Pennsylvania as a small boy, and the
latter of Warren county. Pa. Mr. French was engaged
in a mercantile business at Russell, Pa., and also dealt in
lumber. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones two children have been
born, as follows : Helen Marie, who became the wife of
Robert P. Hussey, of Falconer, to whom she has borne
one child, Gwendolyn ; Florence Aline, who became the
wife of William F. May, of Falconer, to whom she has
borne one child, Mary Genevieve.



GEORGE RAPPOLE— The narrowest part of
Chautauqua Lake is at Bemus Point, a ferry there cross-
ing the lake to Stow, in the town of Harmony. Eleven
acres of this Bemus Point tract was formerly owned by
Albertus W. Rappole, who started the ferry and was one
of the early builders of the Bemus Point settlement, now
a prosperous summer resort, and an incorporated village,
with a permanent population reported by the State cen-
sus of 191 5 to be 270. The eleven acres he owned be-
came valuable, and upon part of his holdings Mr. Rap-
pole erected in 1893 the Columbian Hotel, a house of en-
tertainment, containing forty-five rooms, built at a cost
of $17,000. The hotel was well patronized in the sum-
mer months, the balance of the little farm of eleven acres
producing the fruits and vegctal^Ies whioh supplied its
table.

At the Bemus Point farm George Rappole, now pro-
prietor of the hotel, and an electrician, was born Oct.
13, 1881, son of Albertus W. and Velona (Stone) Rap-
pole. He attended public schools, completing grammar
grades, then became interested in electricity and adopted
its application to home uses as a business. He completed
a course of study with the International Correspondence
School of Scranton, and spent four years in the business
in th'- city of Buffalo, and became an expert electrician.
In i<)')l his father was killed. The management of the
hotel ilicn fell upon George Rapjiolc, and to that duty



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 38 of 101)