John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 39 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 39 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he h.'is dcviilc'l his summers, following his business of
electrician during the balance of the year. The Colum-



BIOGRAPHICAL



457



bian Hotel is a popular house and well patronized during
the vacation period, Bemus Point being one of the most
popular of the many lake resorts. In 1920 100 rooms
were added thereto, 80 having baths connected with
them. Mr. Rappole formed a stock company, took over
the Pickard Hotel, now adjoining, also the McKinzey
farm consisting of 109 acres, which was turned into golf
links, also the Ferry property, and he is now the presi-
dent and manager of the same, Clarence D. Held serving
in the capacities of secretary and treasurer. Mr. Rap-
pole organized and installed the first telephone service
in the village, serving seventy-four subscribers, a busi-
ness which he later sold to the Bell Telephone Company.
He is also interested in the ownership of the Eagle Garage
in Jamestown, and is a very successful business man. He
is a Republican in politics ; member of the Sons of the
American Revolution, Board of Commerce, the Sports-
man's Club, the Knights of Pythias, Fraternal Order of
Eagles, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of
the Free and Accepted Masons.

Mr. Rappole married, in 1903, Elizabeth R. McLaugh-
lin, daughter of Patrick and Fanny (Smith) McLaugh-
lin, and they are the parents of two children : Albertus
W. and George, Jr.



CHARLES JEFFORDS CARPENTER, late of
Jamestown, Chautauqua county, N. Y., where his death
occurred at his home, March 30, 1912, was for many
years one of the prominent manufacturers and business
men of the community and a public-spirited citizen. He
was a native of Jamestown, born Nov. 20, 1857, a son of
William and Sybbel (Jeffords) Carpenter, old and highly
respected residents of this city.

He was a lad of only six years of age when his father
died, and he was brought up by his mother who gave
the greatest devotion and affection to her children, pro-
viding them with the best education that her limited
means could afford. After attending the local schools
of Jamestown for a number of years, Charles J. Car-
penter began at an early age to be regularly employed in
order to assist in supporting the family, working in the
axe factory in which his father had met his death and
his elder brother Elial was already employed. The two
brothers worked at this establishment for a time, and in
1881, having laid by a little capital, left their employer and
formed a partnership with Charles Tew and John Kofod
and began the manufacture of axes and other tools. This
company did business under the style of the Jamestown
Axe and Edge Tool Manufacturing Company, and was
highly successful in the enterprise, a very large business
being worked up with a market extending throughout
the region. The business was continued uninterruptedly
up to the time of Mr. Elial Carpenter's death and for a
short time afterwards, but it was then sold by the
brother, Charles Jeffords Carpenter, who had accepted a
position with the American Express Company. This he
continued to hold until he again took up mechanical work,
at which he was actively engaged up to the time of his
death.

Mr. Carpenter was exceedingly active in the general
life of the community of which he was a member, and
took a prominent part in many of its affairs. During his
youth he was not active in religious matters, but later



in life he was converted and joined the Methodist Episco-
pal church of Jamestown, and became the superintendent
of the Sunday school there. He also became a strong
advocate of temperance and did much to promote the
cause in this region. Mr. Carpenter was a member of a
number of fraternal organizations, and was prominent in
Masonic circles, being affiliated with Mt. Moriah Lodge,
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons ; Western Sun Chap-
ter, Royal Arch Masons ; Jamestown Commandery,
Knights Templar; Ismailia Temple, .Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Buffalo. He was
also a member of the Jeffords Hose Company of James-
town, and the Exempt Firemen's Association, and did
much to advance the interests of the fire department.

Charles Jeffords Carpenter was united in marriage,
Sept. 5, 1882, at Jamestown, to Jennie Young, born at
Jamestown, Jan. 29, 1862, a daughter of James and Eliz-
abeth (Moody) Young, and a member of a well known
family here. They were the parents of two children, as
follows: I. Charles Raymond, who resides at James-
town ; married Olive Phillips, by whom he has had two
daughters, Allene E.stella and Donna Marion. 2. Allene,
who became the wife of T. N. Nelson, the well known
merchant tailor of Jamestown, to whom she has borne
three children : Jane Elizabeth, Helen .A.llene, and Mary
Louise.



WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON— The Harrison
family is one of the oldest in Jamestown, where they are
well known and highly respected citizens. The first mem-
ber of the family to be known here was Dr. James J.
Harrison, a dentist, who was a native of Massachusetts,
but who came to Jamestown prior to 1830. He was one
of the early settlers of this section.

William H. Harrison, son of Dr. James J. Harrison,
was born in Jamestown in 1830 in a dwelling house which
stood on the site now occupied by one of the Jamestown
banks, at the corner of Main and Second streets. Wil-
liam H. Harrison married Mary Moynahan and among
their children is William Henry, of whom further.

William Heniy Harrison was born in Jamestown, April
30, 1871. His education was gained in the local schools
of this city, but when fourteen years of age he left school
and sought employment in the dry goods store of
Hevenor Brothers in a minor position. Young Harrison
remained with them until he was twenty years old ; in
the meantime he was promoted to the position of sales-
man. On May 16, 1891, Mr. Harrison entered the em-
ploy of A. D. Sharpe, the dry goods dealer, as a sales-
man in the dress goods department, later being trans-
ferred to the silk dress goods department in a similar
capacity. He is now well identified with this company
and is in charge of the purchasing department. Mr. Har-
rison has always been to the fore in the matter of ren-
dering service to his city. For more than twenty-one
years he was a member of the Fenton Guards, having
the rank of second lieutenant. When the Spanish-Amer-
ican War broke out he enlisted, but as it was of so short
a duration, he did not have an opportunity to leave the
United States. Mr. Harrison is a member of the Knights
of Columbus, being a past grand knight of that order;
he is also district deputy for the Catholic Mutual Benev-
olent Association, and a member of the C. M. B. A.



45S



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Council. Mr. Harrison and his family are all mem-
bers of the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and St.
Paul.

On July i6. iSg5. Mr. Harrison married in James-
town, X. Y., Mary Kennedy. Of this union six children
were bom : Catherine. Cecelia, Richard, Francis, Jose-
phine. William H.. Jr.



MARVIN H. KENT— .\ dealer in tires and auto-
mobile accessories in Jamestown, N. Y., Mr. Kent has a
good business and one with which he has long been
familiar. He has prospered through close attention to
business and through ability as a mechanic, he being an
expert vulcanizer and repair man. He is a son of George
Kent, of Cattaraugus county, N. Y.. a farmer and teams-
ter, and his wife, Louise (Cook) Kent, of Cattaraugus
county.

Marvin H. Kent was born m Perrysburg, Cattaraugus
coiinty. X. Y., Oct. 29, 1S72. He was educated in the
public schools of that section, worked on the farm in
early life, then became interested in automobile work
and for several years has been successfully engaged in
that business. At his place of business in Jamestown he
ministers to the needs of automobilists generally. He is
a Republican in politics. Mr. Kent has prospered in
business, and has acquired considerable real estate in the
section in which he resides.

Mr. Kent married, Jan. 13, i8q6, in Leon, Cattaraugus
county, X'. Y., Elvina Hamilton, born in Leon, June i,
1888, daughter of Leroy and Susan (Samuel) Hamilton.
Mr. and Mrs. Kent are the parents of four children: i.
Herman, born June 30, 1S97; he enlisted in the service of
his country, and served in Company E, io8th New York
Infantry, from February, 1916, to Sept. 29, 1918, when
he was killed in action. 2. Xellie, born March 12, 1S99.
3. Leroy. born July 12. igoi. 4. Eva, born March 8,
1911.



ERNEST JOHN BAILEY, one of the leading
rcMdents of Brocton, Chautauqua county, N. Y., a suc-
cessful building contractor who has to his credit many
large contracts, has advanced far in material wealth, and
at the same time has held the sincere respect of the peo-
ple of the county who have known him under all con-
ditions. He has manifested commendable characteristics,
is a man of distinct business ability, and has exhibited
a praiseworthy public spirit, and a practical desire to
help on the well being of the community in general, and
the fxKjr and needy in particular. In business enterprise,
he has been very successful, and has many consequential
associations; he has for two decades had a contracting
business which has found employment for a consider-
able number of mtn, has taken part in the establishment
and direction of other important mainifarturiny; ron-
rerns, and is vice-president of the Brocton Furniture
Comiiany.

Ernest J. Bailey v.as born in Charlotte Center, Char-
lotte township, Chautauqua county, X. Y., Oct. 27, 1868,
the son of John J. and Barliara fBeha) Bailey, or Bal-
lay, as the family is known in I-'rancc, wherein is the
original family seat. Ernest John Bailey is French in
Ujth paternal and maternal anteced'.nts, the paternal line
oriitinalinK in ChamiBigiie, and his maternal ancestors



being from .-Msace-Lorraine provinces of France. The
patronymic, as originally spelled, was Ballay, and the
American progenitor of the branch of the Ballay family
to which Ernest John Bailey belongs was of that name,
and it is not clear why the name became changed in
spelling. It probably was wrongly written in real estate
deeds, to substantiate the title to which the heirs took the
Americanized version of the French patronymic. How-
ever that may be, the family in America has for some
generations been known by the name of Bailey.

Ernest John Bailey was born on a farm, and in due
time attended the district school nearest to his father's
farm, after passing through which he seems to have
commenced working at farming occupations quite early
in his teens. By such work he accumulated sufficient
means to carry him through business college, where he
gained the fundamentals of executive work which were
later of inestimable value to him in the management of
his own important enterprises. He perhaps had mapped
out his career well in advance, and knew the various
steps by which sound success would come. He appren-
ticed himself to carpentry, serving an apprenticeship of
five years, and later for six years was a journeyman car-
penter, by which time he was thoroughly conversant with
most phases of building construction. By steadiness of
life, and by industrious continuance in work during the
years, he had by that time acquired some financial means,
sufficient at all events to induce him to enter inde-
pendently into business as a builder and contractor. He
had come to Brocton in 1893, and had worked as a car-
penter upon many contracts in that place, so that he was
comparatively well known in the village when he started
in contracting business for himself in 1900. During the
almost two decades to the present, he has had very sub-
stantial success as a contractor, and has to his credit the
erection of many important buildings. Many of the fine
residences in that section of Chautauqua county have
been built by him, and among the buildings of public
institutions and business corporations constructed by Mr.
Bailey may be listed the following, all of which do credit
to his thoroughness as a builder : The Brocton State
Bank building; the .\hira Memorial Library building,
Brocton ; the Crandall building, Brocton ; the Bailey
building, which is a very fine structure, and used mainly
by Mr. Bailey for his own business offices; the Norquist
Afctal Door Company plant, at Jamestown, a huge build-
ing ; additions to the American Loco Works, and to the
Atlas Crucible Steel Company plant at Dunkirk ; con-
struction work for the Buffalo & Lake Erie Traction
Company, including the car barns at Fredonia, and all the
stations with the exception of two between Buffalo and
Erie, Pa.; the Court House at Mayville, Chautauqua
county ; the Church of Christ at Chautauqua ; the
Chautaucpia High School; the Falconer High School;
the Jamestown Grammar School ; the Sherman Library ;
the Armour Grape Juice Company headquarters at West-
field, Chautauqua county ; the gymnasium and other addi-
tions to the Normal School at Fredonia; some of the
builflings of the Redwing Grape Juice Company, Fre-
donia; warehouses of the same coinpany at Fredonia;
the Memorial Hospital at Lillydale; the St. Hedwick
Roman Catholic Church at Dunkirk; and the plant of
the Brocton I'urniture Company, and in addition, Mr.




/j<//A //



BIOGRAPHICAL



459



Bailey has undertaken many important building con-
tracts outside Chautauqua county. He has during the
period given employment to an average of about 140
workmen. It may therefore be inferred that, with mod-
erate success, he must have acquired an appreciable de-
gree of material wealth during the many years he has
spent in consequential business as a contractor. As a
matter of fact, he has been universally successful, for he
knew his business thoroughly before committing himself
to independent work. And latterly, as a capitalist, he has
been brought into connection with many other outside
enterprises. He owns stock in many manufacturing cor-
porations in Chautauqua county ; Mr. Bailey is one of
the largest stockholders of the Brocton Furniture Com-
pany, of which he is vice-president.

Politically, Mr. Bailey is an independent Democrat, but
has been too busy with business affairs that needed almost
his undivided time to have much time to spare for partici-
pation in political movements, and he has never allowed
himelf to consider the thought of taking public office.
He has nevertheless always been closely interested in
local affairs, and has been ready to lend his support to
any worthy local project. In fraternal affiliations, he
has been faithful and is identified particularly with the
Masonic order. He has risen to the thirty-second degree
in the order, and is a member of the following : Blue
Lodge of Brocton; the Chapter, Council, and Command-
ery, of Dunkirk ; the Buffalo Shrine ; and the Consistory
of Jamestown, also of Buffalo.

On Sept. 12, 1900, Ernest John Bailey married Ruth
Hall Pettit, grand-niece of Ahira Hall, whose genealogy
will be found elsewhere in this historical work. To Mr.
and Mrs. Bailey have been born three children : Kath-
leen Elizabeth, now in high school ; Angeline Sarah,
twin sister of the first-named, and also a high school
student ; Florence Edith, who also attends the local
school.

The business success of Ernest John Bailey has been
notable, especially so bearing in mind that it has come
to him entirely by his own efforts, and he has a definite
place among the worthy Chautauqua county people of his
generation.



HARRY RICHARD LEWIS, one of the promi-
nent attorneys of Jamestown, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
and a much respected citizen of the community, is a
native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born June 23. 1854. He is a
son of Richard and Jane (Hatch) Lewis, old and highly
respected residents of Jamestown.

Harry Richard Lewis attended the grammar schools of
Cincinnati, and later the Woodward High School of that
city, where he was prepared for college and from which
he graduated in 1872. He then attended the University
of Michigan at Ann Arbor in that State, where he took
a three years' classical course. He was then transferred
to the law school of the same university and graduated
with the class of 1876, receiving the degree of LL. B.
He spent a probationary period of one year in the law
offices of Cook & Lockwood, prominent attorneys of
Jamestown, and in 1877 was admitted to the Chautauqua
county bar, and engaged in practice here on his own
account. Since that time Mr. Lewis has developed a large
general practice and has been successful in his profes-
sion. Mr. Lewis is a member of the Jamestown Bar



Association, and is also affiliated with a number of Ma-
sonic bodies, including Mt. Moriah Lodge, Ancient Free
and Accepted Masons ; Western Sun Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons; Jamestown Commandery, No. 61, Knights
Templar.

Mr. Lewis married (first) Frances Adams, a daugh-
ter of Charles P. and Cornelia (Crane) Adams. To this
union seven children were born, as follows: i. Frances,
who was educated at the grammar and high schools of
Jamestowit, and became the wife of Claude K. Ahlstrom,
of Jamestown. 2. Richard, who was educated in the
public schools of Jamestown, and is now at the head of
a large mercantile business at Norwich, Conn. 3. Cor-
nelia, who was also educated in the public schools of
Jamestown, and became the wife of Fred H. Balcom, of
Jamestown. 4. Charles Adams, who was educated in the
public schools of Jamestown, and later at the Worcester
Polytechnic Institute, from which he graduated with the
degree of Chemical Engineer; at the present time he
holds a very responsible position in a large industrial
plant at Buffalo, N. Y. 5. Harry Richard, Jr., who stud-
ied in the Jamestown public schools, and later at the
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he received the
degree of Chemical Engineer ; he is now prominently
associated with a large manufacturing concern at Shelby,
Ohio. 6. Bryce, who received the degree of Mechanical
Engineer from the University of Michigan ; he now
holds an important position in a Detroit manufacturing
plant. 7. Jane, who was educated in the public schools of
Jamestown, and at the Leland Powers School at Boston,
from which she was graduated with the class of 1917;
she is now very successful in her career as an actress,
being now in a large stock company at Schenectady,
N. Y. All Mr. Lewis's children have been successful
and have entirely justified their father's large expenditure
of time and money in securing them the best possible
education in their chosen subject. The first Mrs, Lewis
died in the year 1910. On May 19, 1919, Mr. Lewis mar-
ried (second) Harriet Woodford, of Jamestown, N. Y.



JOHN FRANCIS RHINEHART, for nineteen
terms a teacher in Chautauqua county schools, and lat-
terly a substantial and successful farmer in the Ripley
section of the county, is a man well known and respected
in the neighborhood, and prominent in many phases of
its public affairs, having been school trustee and collector,
justice of the peace, and assessor. He is an active
granger and a charter member of the local branch of the
Odd Fellows order. His life of si.xty-five years has been
lived wholly within the county, and since early manhood
he has been connected, for at least part of his time each
year, with worth-while agricultural production.

He was born in Ripley, Chautauqua county, X. Y.,
Aug. 23, 1854, the son of James and Jane (Sinden)
Rhineliart. His mother was of English birth, but for
years had been resident in Ripley. His father was an
old Ripley resident, respected and prosperous, having a
good blacksmithing business, and owning a good farm
in Ripley. Their children, John F. and Effie, attended
the Ripley schools. John F. Ripley was an apt pupil,
and- of studious inclination, and eventually he entered the
teaching profession, which he followed for nineteen
terms in Ashville and Chautauqua countj' schools. How-



4CiO



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



ever, he was characteristically a man oi energy and ac-
tion, as well as of vigorous intellect, and each summer
he devoted his time to occupations upon his father's farm.
Finally, his father purchased from Thomas Sinden a rich
farm of 200 acres at Ripley, and ultimately it passed into
the possession of John F. Ripley, since which time he has
lived there and devoted himself wholly to its management.
It is a rich farm, having fine modern buildings, and Mr.
Rhinchart has proved that he is a skillful farmer. He has
a large herd of cattle, and as a dairy and general farm
the property has brought him substantial return.

His education, his general ability, his likable disposi-
tion, and his estimable, general character, have brought
him preferment to many positions of honor and responsi-
bility in the local administration, and in political matters
he has been a factor of some consequence in his district.
He has for ver>' many years given staunch allegiance to
the Republican party in national politics, and he might
have held many more offices in the local administration
than he has undertaken had he so wished, for he has
always been well regarded in the district. He has been
assessor of Ripley, and has also been justice of the peace,
to which judical office he brought an impartial mind and
a firm resolve to administer justice rightly, so far as he
was able, and that he was able has been manifested upon
many occasions, his findings being such as would have
brought credit to a higher court. He has always been
thorough and conscientious in all that he has under-
taken, and in general has been able rapidly to assimilate
knowledge, and there is every reason to suppose that soon
after he was appointed to judicial office he rapidly became
well versed in the fundamentals of law. He is a man
of clear mind and logical thought, and has a good know-
ledge of men, so that as a justice he was well placed in
the public senice. He has also been interested actively
in educational affairs, as might have been expected of a
man of his academic inclinations and earlier associations;
he has been a school trustee for many years, and has also
undertaken the duties of collector of taxes. Fraternally,
he is associated with the Odd Fellows organization, and
is one of the charter members of the local body. And he
has been a member of Ripley Grange for many years,
actively interesting himself in its functioning and con-
tinuance in usefulness.

Mr. Rhinchart married (first) Rose B. Stone, of a
well known Ripley family. They were married on April
18, 1876, at Ripley, and to them were born three chil-
dren : I. Myma, who married Baxter, wlio for

many years has been connected with railroad administra-
tions. 2. Murray, who was well educated, primarily in
Ripley schools; he eventually entered profession.!] life,
as a civil engineer, and is now connected with the Nickel
Plate Railroad Company. 3. Ross, whose history is
very similar to that of his elder brother, he also being a
civil engineer, and also connected with the same railroad.
Mr. Rhinchart married C second) Mertie Williams. She
was born in Wisconsin, and they were married in Octo-
ber. I<X)2.

Th'- home of thi; Rhiticharts in Ripley is a fine one,
and has ever been ojK.-n to their friends. In earlier years
Mr. Rhinchart twjk much part in social and community
movements in the town, and has very many friends. His
record of more than sixty years is an enviable one, his
life having been given to useful, public service, and to
consc'jucntial jirfyluclion in his native county.



NEWTON LINCOLN— Filling more than one
minor public office with credit, Mr. Lincoln is, perhaps,
more thoroughly identified with that of county librarian
than with any other. In each one, however, his name is
synonymous with talent and fidelity, and his fellow-citi-
zens of Mayville congratulate themselves on having se-
cured his services. Newton Lincoln was born Nov. 21,
i86;i, on his father's farm at Summerdale, N. Y., a son
of Harrison and Adeline (Dickerson) Lincoln.

Newton Lincoln received his education in district
schools and at the Mayville High School, being then for
a time employed in a hotel. For four years thereafter he
was engaged in farming, going then to Michigan and
spending five years on his grandparents' farm. Return-
ing to his home in Mayville, he was quietly employed
for thirteen years in hotels there and in Jamestown, N. Y.,
and in 1904 obtained a position in the surrogate's office.
He is now deputy clerk to the Surrogate's Court of the
county. In loio he was appointed librarian and still re-
tains the office, being devoted to its duties, which he finds



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 39 of 101)