John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 4 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tish Rite ; he is a member of the First Congregational
Church, as are also his wife and children. In politics
he is an independent voter, choosing the man he considers
best for the office. He is nothing of a politician, for busi-
ness occupies too much of his time to leave room for
such a diversion.

William Bernard Conroy married, Feb. 6, 1903, Annie
L. Thompson, of Plumer, Pa. Of this union three chil-
dren were born: Allen Thompson, Mary Louise, Har-
old William, deceased.

Mr. Conroy started his career with no other capital
than experience and a determination to succeed, and now
he is head of a thriving business which is growing more
successful each year.



^2S



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



EDWARD LOWRY BUCHANAN, the treasurer
of the Conroy-Buchanan Lumber Company, is like his
partner a self-made man, bringing to the company only
lionesty of purpose and a willingness to work for the
building up of the business. That they have succeeded
in this is con.ceded by all who know the partners and
their standing in the community.

The parents of Edward L. Buchanan were David A.
and Mary Jane (Fetterman) Buchanan, residents of
Titusville. Pa., where their son was born July 6, 1871.
David A. Buchanan died several years ago, but his wife
still survives him. He was a farmer and also conducted
a butchering business. The son, Edward L., was edu-
cated in the district schools of Venango county. Pa.,
afterwards entering the Clarion State Normal School,
'rom which he graduated in 1S05. He taught school for
four years after graduating, and previous to that had also
taught school. Desiring to advance in life, Mr. Buchanan
secured a position with the Oil Well Supply Company of
Oil City, Pa. After three and a half years with this
company he resigned to accept an opening with the Model
Milling Company of the same city, where he remained
for a year and a half, going then into the office of the
Citizens Traction Company. 'When his stay there came
to an end. he and Mr. Conroy decided to enter into busi-
ness together, forming the firm known as the Conroy-
Buchanan Lumber Company in 1907.

Mr. Buchanan is an upholder of the tenets of the Pro-
hibition party and votes that ticket at election time. He
is a congregationalist in religion, his wife and children
attending the First Congregational Church of James-
town: he is also a mem.bcr.of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, being connected with the local lodge.

On Jan. 2, 1899, Edward Lowry Buchanan married
Elnora .-K. Thompson of Plumer, Pa. Of this marriage
two children were born : Mary Isabel, 1902 ; Arthur
Thompson, 191". Mr. Buchanan and Mr. Conroy are
not alone business associates, but are connected by mar-
riage, having married sisters.



and friendship of their customers, they have no trouble
in disposing of their wares. They are highly respected
in Jamestown, and in the twelve years the company has
been in existence have made a name and place for them-
selves among the business men of that city.



CONROY-BUCHANAN LUMBER COMPANY,

William Bernard Conroy, president; Edward Lowry
Buchanan, treasurer ; Margaret Thompson, secretary.

In 1907 two young men arrived in Jamestown with the
intention of starting in business, one coming from Pitts-
burgh, Pa., where he had been connected with the Mead
Spccr Lumber Company, and the other coming from the
Oil Well Supply Company of Oil City, Pa. These men,
Willard Bernard Conroy and Edward Lowry Buchanan,
had both been trained by several years employment in
\vr>rA products business, .so they felt fully capable of
conducting a hardwood and veneer concern. They
entered into partnership in the spring of 1907, continu-
ing it until the following autumn, when they made an
incorporated company of it, with the officers above men-
tioned as members, under the corporate name of the
Conroy- Buchanan Lumber Company. From the very
b'rjjinning they were most successful, buying their goods
in carload consignments and selling them all over New
York State and through the Ohio Valley. Both men act
as buyf-rs and personally attend to the sales in their
individual territories, and as (hey only handle fine, reli-
able gofjfls, and V,th youn>; men, have the confidi-nce



ROSS J. GOLDSMITH, one of the successful con-
tractors of Brocton, N. V., where he was engaged in
business for a number of years, is a native of that town,
his birth having occurred there on Jan. 7, 1884. He
is a son of James and Ida (Berg) Goldsmith, the former
a laborer in these parts for many years.

The early life of Ross J. Goldsmith was passed in
poor surroundings without many of the educational
advantages which are so valuable in aiding young men
in their start in a business career. He attended, how-
ever, the local public schools, remaining at these insti-
tutions until he had completed the grammar grades and
studied for a time in the Brocton High School, and then
found it necessary to engage in some remunerative
occupation. Accordingly he secured a position in a
local basket factory when little more than a child, and
in 1906 began to serve as an apprentice in a plumbing
establishment. He spent five years in all in the employ
of that concern, first as an apprentice and then as a
journeyman plumber, and in 191 1 was appointed a
master plumber. During the time he was so employed
Mr. Goldsmith saved with rigid economy a large pro-
portion of his slender earnings in order some day to be
in a position to become independent and engage in
business on his own account. This ambition he was able
to realize in 1911, when he severed his connection with
his old employers and established himself as a con-
tractor in his native town of Brocton. Since that time
he has continued in his chosen line, has built up a great
success throughout this region, and handles much im-
portant work here. Among the large jobs that he has com-
pleted in the past should be mentioned the residence of
Conrad W. Green, who is himself the subject of extended
mention elsewhere in this work; the handsome summer
home of Mr. Windburn. the Bailey building, the build-
ing of the Paul DeLaney Company, the plant of the
Brocton Food Juice Company, all at Brocton, and the
Memorial Hospital building at Lillydale. He has a large
and fully equipped establishment at Brocton, and is
justly regarded as one of the substantial citizens of the
community, his success being due entirely to his own
efforts. Mr. Goldsmith has always taken a lively interest
in the general affairs of Brocton and the surrounding
region, and is a well known figure in the general life of
the place. He is a Republican in politics, but although
he keeps himself always abreast of all the issues of the
day, both local and national, has never as yet taken that
part in public affairs for which his practical talents so
admirably fit him. He is not a member of any church,
but members of his family attend the local Baptist house
of worship. Mr. Goldsmith is a member of the Ancient
Free and Accepted Masons and the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows.

Ross J. Goldsmith was united in marriage, March 7,
1017, with Jessie Gustafson, of Dunkirk. N. Y., a
daughter of Alfred and Emma Gustafson, old and
highly respected residents of tlial place.





'4^\^c^i^^i^\^^tyL^




lujjj^ l^L) . kJ{t



y/Tuj-v^



BIOGRAPHICAL



329



ELMER WALTER POWERS, M. D.— No name
stands higher in medical circles at Westfield, Chau-
tauqua county, N. Y., than that of Dr. Elmer Wal-
ter Powers, who has been engaged in practice here
for a number of years and established an enviable repu-
tation both for his ability as a physician and for the
high standard of professional ethics which he has con-
sistently maintained. Dr. Powers was born Dec. 9, 1870,
at Panama, N. Y., a son of Joel and Harriette M.
(Lewis) Powers, the former still surviving. The elder
Mr. Powers has largely retired from active business,
but holds the distinction of being the oldest justice of
the peace at North Harmony. The Powers family is a
very old and distinguished one in Chautauqua county,
and Mr. Powers' grandfather, the Rev. Simon Powers,
was rector of the First Baptist Church at Panama
early in the nineteenth century.

Dr. Powers attended as a lad the public schools of
Panama, and later was a student at the Westfield High
School, where he was prepared for college. In the
meantime he had determined to follow the profession
of medicine as a career in life, and with this end in view
entered the medical department of the University of
Vermont at Burlington, Vt. After having take the pre-
scribed course in medicine he was graduated with the
class of 1S99, winning his degree of medical doctor.
He then entered the Mary Fletcher Hospital at Burling-
ton, as an interne, and served in that capacity for one
year, thus gaining the practical experience necessary to
supplement his theoretical knowledge. Upon complet-
ing this term of apprenticeship. Dr. Powers removed to
the West and settled at Conneaut, Ohio, where he
remained two years, engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession. At the end of that time, however, he was induced
to abandon his profession for a time and became a
salesman for the Burns Vaporizer Company, of West-
field, N. Y., and travelled in various parts of the country
as their representative for two years. He then returned
to his former career and resumed his medical practice
at Ashville, N. Y., in the year 1904. He continued to
be thus engaged for a period of about fourteen years
and established a wide reputation throughout that
region. On Sept. 15, 1918, Dr. Powers removed to
Westfield, where he has since been actively engaged in
his profession, and although the time has been brief he
has already gained recognition as one of the most capable
physicians in the community. He still possesses his
license to practice medicine in Ohio. Dr. Powers has
taken a lively interest in local affairs for a number of
years, and is a well known figure in the general life of
the community. He is a member of many important
organizations including the Chautauqua County Medical
Society, of which he is president, and the New York
State Medical Society. He is also a member of the
University of Vermont Alumni ; of Summit Lodge,
No. 219, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons ; Lakewood
Lodge 628, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the
Order of Maccabees, and the American Medical Associ-
ation. In religious belief he is a Methodist, attending
the church of that denomination at Westfield, and in
politics a Republican.

Dr. Elmer Walter Powers was united in marriage,
Sept. ID, 190S, with Gertrude Pardee, of Harmony, N.
Y., a daughter of James and Sophia (Gypson) Pardee,



and they are the parents of two children, as follows :

Harriette Elizabeth, now a student at the Westfield

High School ; and Kenneth Pardee, who attends the
grammar schools here.



TIMOTHY JOSEPH DESMOND— As one of the

heads of the widely known Desmond Coal Company and
Desmond Fisheries the man whose name we have just
written stands forth so prominently, not only among his
neighbors of Dunkirk, but also among his fellow-citizens
of Chautauqua county, as to render any words of intro-
duction not only unnecessary but wholly superfluous.
To say that Mr. Desmond is known in his town and
county is distinctly an under statement, inasmuch as his
name, from its connection with a great fisheries concern,
is familiar in many states of the American Union.

Timothy Joseph Desmond was born in Buffalo, and
is a son of Timothy and Ellen (Harrigan) Desmond,
both natives of Ireland, but married in the United
States. The educational facilities of Timothy Joseph
Desmond were limited, and he was early obliged to
become a wage earner. His business ability being above
the average, and his industry and energy equal to it,
he found himself, when in the prime of life, one of the
proprietors of two great concerns, the Desmond Coal
Company and the Desmond Fisheries. The founding
and maintenance of either of these enterprises would
have been sufficient to place Mr. Desmond among the
foremost business men of Western New York.

The Desmond Coal Company handles all kinds of
coal and gives employment to ten men. It owns its
trucks and carries on a very extensive business. The
Desmond Fisheries own five steam tugs and miles of
nets, employing twenty-eight men on their own boats.
It works by contract twelve other steam tugs and gaso-
line motor boats on which they employ eighty-four
hands. They own their cold storage, packing and
fish houses, employing in these forty hands. Their
catch averages 1,200 tons annually and is shipped
into the states of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio,
Massachusetts, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Mich-
igan, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, New Jersey, West
Virginia and Maryland. During the busy season they
employ 162 men and their pay-roll exceeds $107,000
annually. Politically Mr. Desmond is a Democrat. He
is 3 director of the Chamber of Commerce, and his
fraternal affiliations are with the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks, the Knights of Columbus, Dun-
kHrk Club, C. and B. A. He is a member of St. Mary's
Roman Catholic Church.

Mr. Desmond married in Buffalo, N. Y., Mary,
daughter of Cornelius and Margaret (Darcy) Corcoran,
and they became the parents of three children : Margaret,
at home; John, married Lucile Frey, and they have two
children, William and Lamar; Timothy Joseph, Jr.,
married Irene Findley. All these children were edu-
cated in Dunkirk. Mrs. Desmond, who was a devoted
wife and mother, passed away April 15, 1919.

Cornelius William Desmond, son of Timothy and
Ellen (Harrigan) Desmond, and brother of Timothy
Joseph Desmond, was born in Buffalo, and is the
partner of his brother in the Desmond Coal Company
and the Desmond Fisheries. The political principles of
Mr. Desmond are those supported by the Democratic



^^o



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



party. He occupies a seat in the Chamber of Com-
merce, and affiliates with the CathoHc Benevolent
Legion. He is a member of St. Marj-'s Roman Catholic
Church.

Mr. Desmond married .\gnes, daughter of Thomas
and Mar\- Clear>-, and they have live children living,
all of whom were educated in Dunkirk with the excep-
tion of the two eldest who received their educations
in Buffalo: Thomas, Elinor, .-Vgnes, Elizabeth, and
Margaret. One child. Mary, is deceased.

The great business which these two brothers now
successfully conduct had a small beginning, but has been
gradually built up by their combined talent and aggress-
iveness to its present large proportions. Their record
is of \-alue to their descendants and this, together with
the fact that it contains a salutary lesson for young men
starting in life, should insure its careful preservation.



MORRIS HENRY STIMSON— Technical lines
have always claimed Mr. Stimson, and his active life
has been spent in connection with manufacturing enter-
prises in the Middle West and in the East. Since 1913
he has been associated with Chautauqua county in the
capacity of general manager of the United States Radi-
ator Corporation.

Morris Henrj' Stimson was bom in Cadillac, Mich.,
Aug. 3, 1S79, son of Warren B. and Gertrude (Beards-
lee^ Stimson. He received his elementary education in
the schools of Grand Rapids, Mich., and upon graduat-
ing from the local high school in 1900, he attended the
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. Here he took
a course in mechanical engineering, and was .graduated
with the degrees of Mechanical Engineer and Bachelor
of Science in 1904. This was supplemented by an
apprenticeship at the Detroit plant of the American
Radiator Company until 1908, when he became factory
manager of the Detroit Steel Products Company, which
position he held until 1910. The ne.xt three years he
was engaged as manager of plants numbers three and
fifteen for the Buick Motor Car Company, at Flint,
Mich. In 1913 he accepted his present position of
general manager of the United States Radiator Cor-
poration. In no small measure has the growth of this
concern been due to Mr. Stimson's tireless industry and
energy. His training qualified him for carrying on a
large enterprise, and his close application to the busi-
ness of this firm has given him remarkable success.
His position demands the service of one whose ability is
of high order, and whose well-balanced forces are
manifest in sound judgment and in ready and rapid
understanding of any problem that may be presented
for solution. He is a member of the .American Society
of Mechanical Engineers, and of the Psi Upsilon fra-
ternity, also Sigma Xi. Mr. Stimson is also a prominent
man in the Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. Stims<-jn married, April 24, I'x^S. at Grand Rapids,
Mich., Helen Methcnay, and they are the parents of
two children: Bettey Bradford, now attending State
Normal School at Fredonia; and F'atricia Warren.

CHARLES ANDREW STUDLEY— A vrteran in
year^ and in business expf-ri'-nce, anrl one of the com-
paratively few who "followed the flag" to the battle
field* of the South in 1S62, Mr. Studley after many,



many years of life in other states returned to his native
New York, and in 1919 permanently located in the
village of Fredonia, Chautauqua county. His years of
residence in the West brought him a competence, and
in acquiring it he brought under cultivation a large tract
of prairie land which the plow of the white man had
never before turned. His military service was with
the troops of a Western State, and his recollections
of the three years' service with those men are the most
cherished of his life. Now nearing octogenarian honors,
Mr. Studley is enjoying the rewards of a lifetime of
energetic, well directed effort, and is as keenly interested
in the trend of public events as though his years were
of little weight. He is a descendant of an ancient
Puritan family of Massachusetts, his branch of the
Studley family settling in Western New York.

His father, Philemon Studley, was a farmer in Cattar-
augus county. N. Y., but later moved with his family to
Dunkirk in Chautauqua county, where he was engaged in
various occupations during the remaining active years
of his life. He lived for a time in Gowanda, and died in
Dayton. Cattaraugus county, N. Y. Philemon Studley
married Elmira Starks, who died in Dunkirk and is
buried in Forest Hill Cemetery, Fredonia. They were
the parents of five children: David, who like his brother
served in the Union army during the Civil War ; Mary,
married Marion Guest; Charles Andrew, of further
mention; Maria, married Levant Darby; Marion, a
resident of Cassadaga, Chautauqua county.

Charles A. Studley was born at Springville, Erie
county, N. Y., March 13, 1842, but when young his
parents moved to Dunkirk, where he obtained a public
school education. He remained in Dunkirk until the
age of nineteen, then went to Boone county, 111., locat-
ing at Garden Prairie, where he engaged as a farm
employee for one year. In 1862 he enlisted at Belvidere,
III., in Company B, 95th Regiment, Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, his company commander. Captain Loop, his
regimental chief. Colonel Humphrey. He was in the
service three years and took part in several severe
battles and many skirmishes and minor engagements,
was promoted to the rank of corporal, and at the close
of the war was mustered out with an honorable dis-
charge at Springfield, III.

After the war, Mr. Studley spent seventeen years in
the Pennsylvania oil fields, locating at Oil City. He was
not one of the successful oil operators and finally closed
out his business and went West, locating in North
Dakota, where he bought and "homesteaded" 850 acres
of prairie land in Benson county. This tract he made
valuable by cultivation and extensive improvements,
residing thereon for thirty-five years, and becoming one
of the prosperous wheat growers of that section. In
1906 he l>egan coming East to spend his winters,
choosing Fredonia as his residence. This practice he
continued until 1919, when he sold his farms and other
property in North Dakota and made Fredonia his
ficrmancnt residence. He is a member of Holt Post,
Grand Army of the Republic, of Fredonia; the Metho-
dist Episcopal church, the Masonic order, and in politics
a I\ei)ulilican.

Mr. Studley married (first) Loretta Baxter, who died
in North Dakota, leaving three children: Ida, married
Clarke Higgins; Nellie, married David Robertson, and




t^.(^^LJi^



BIOGRAPHICAL



331



resides in North Dakota; Jennie, married Barney
Speiglor, and resides in North Dakota. Mr. Studley
married (second) Kathrine (Zink) Turrell, born in
Erie county, N. Y., daughter of Leon and Josephine
(Von Hatton) Zink, and widow of Eh Turrell. Mrs.
Studley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.



REV. WILLIAM L. HYDE was born in Bath,
Me.. Dec. 27, iSio, a son of Captain Henry and Maria
(Hyde) Hyde. He received his education in Bowdoin
College, Brunswick, Me., from which he was graduated
with the class of 1842. In 1849 he completed his course
in theology and was ordained a minister in the Congre-
gational church, and for seven years acted as pastor of
that denomination at Gardner, Me.

In 1856 Mr. Hyde removed to Dunkirk, N. Y., where
he was pastor of the Presbyterian church until 1862,
when he was commissioned chaplain of the 112th Regi-
ment (the Chautauqua County Regiment), New York
State \'olunteers, and remained in that station until the
close of the Civil War. One year later Mr. Hyde
removed from Dunkirk to Ripley, where he remamed
until 1871 as pastor of the Presbyterian church, and the
following three years was pastor of the church of that
denomination in Sherman, N. Y. In 1874 he removed to
Ovid, Seneca county, N. Y., where for the ensuing ten
years he held the position of principal of the high school.
In 1884 he came to Jamestown, Chautauqua county, N.
Y., where he remained until his demise in 1896, at first
teaching a private school and later doing editorial work
on the Jamestown "Journal," and serving as supply
clergyman in various pulpits in the city and vicinity.

While living at Ripley he wrote and published the
"History of the One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment,"
recognized as one of the most accurate and valuable of
all the histories of New York State regiments.
Throughout his residence in Jamestown, Mr. Hyde was
chaplain of James M. Brown Post, Grand Army of the
Republic, and in 1896 was elected chaplain of the Grand
Encampment, Department of New York, Grand Army
of the Republic, and was honorary chaplain of the
Thirteenth Separate Company, National Guard, State
of New York, Jamestown, up to the time of his death.
He was a companion of the Military Order of the Loyal
Legion. He was an active member of the Chautauqua
County Society of History and Natural Science. In
the Chautauqua Institution he took a great interest and
presented to the institution a library of theological
works.

On May 4, 1852, Mr. Hyde was united in marriage
with Frances Elizabeth Rice, who was born in
Wiscasset. Me., a daughter of Thomas Rice. To Rev.
and Mrs. Hyde were born the following children: I.
Henry Warren, who resides in Denver, Colo. 2. Wallace
E., who died in infancy. 3. Frederick William, whose
biographical record follows this. They also had an
adopted daughter, Elizabeth Clover, who married San-
ford C. Meddick, and resides at Ovid, N. Y. Mrs.
Hyde's demise occurred at her home in Jamestown,
N. v.. May 17, 1892.



Hyde received his early education in the district schools
of this county, and later attended the high school at
Ovid, N. Y. After a one-year course of study at the
Fredonia Normal School, he entered the store of Levant
L. Mason, in Jamestown, and served a four years
apprenticeship at the watchmaker and jeweler's trade,
at which he worked in Cleveland, Ohio, for a time.
In 1879 he returned from Cleveland and entered the
business offices of the Jamestown "Journal," and soon
after became a reporter on that newspaper. Later he
became successively, news editor and managing editor,
which later position he continued to hold until 1905-
He is a director of the Journal Printing Company. He
served nearly twelve years in the Jamestown Fire
Department as a member of Ellicott Hook and Ladder
Company ; for seven years served in Company E, 65th
Infantry, National Guard, of which he was captain; and
during the Spanish-American War he was captain of
the United States Volunteers and was honorably dis-
charged from the army in 1898. During the World
War he was a major in the 74th Infantry, New York
Guard. He was an officer of the National Chautauqua



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 101)