John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 40 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


thoroughly congenial. He has charge of between five
and six thousand volumes. Cataloguing and similar
duties he attends to personally. So highly is his work
appreciated that he is frequently complimented on its ex-
cellence. From 1887 to 1900, Mr. Lincoln was a Demo-
crat, but has since been allied with the Republicans. His
favorite recreation, in the few leisure hours which atten-
tion to duty permits, is gardening, the cultivation of flow-
ers and vegetables alike affording him enjoyment.

Mr. Lincoln married, Oct. 30, 1892, in Mayville, Annie,
daughter of John and Elizabeth Lundquist, and they are
the parents of the following children: i. Edna, graduate
of the Mayville grammar and high schools, and the Nor-
mal School, Fredonia, N. Y., class of 1913. 2. Margaret,
graduate of the Mayville grammar and high schools,
and Fredonia Normal, class of 1913; married Floyd A.
Baker, of Erie, Pa. 3. Ruth, also a graduate of the
Mayville grammar and high schools, and of Jamestown
Business College ; now a legal stenographer in Buffalo.
4. Robert B., in school. 5. Molly, also in school.

The people of Mayville have reason to wish that Mr.
Lincoln may long continue to retain the office of librarian,
in which he has for so many years given them an exam-
ple of exceptional efficiency.



A. MORELLE CHENEY— The Cheneys are of
an ancient English family and in Chautauqua county date
from early settlement days. The family in New Eng-
land trace to either John or William Cheney, both of
whom came from England in 1635, and lived in Roxbury,
Mass. The Cheneys of Chautauqua county are descend-
ants of William Cheney. The first of the Cheneys in
Chautauqua county was Ebenezer, a soldier of the
French and Indian, and Revolutionary wars. He came
first in June, 1808, stopping overnight at the Cross Roads
(Westfield) while journeying elsewhere. He was so
taken with lands on Lake Chautau(|ua that he made a
selection and in the early summer of 1810 located perma-
nently, taking land at what is now the village of Kian-
tone, and there died, Aug. 12, 1828, aged sixty-seven
years.

A. Morelle Cheney, a son of Joshua and Mary (Gif-
ford) Cheney, grandson of Calvin, a?i(l great-grandson
of Jonathan Cheney, was born in the township of Ellery,




^ 7?4^>>*^jC C^^^>ty^



BIOGRAPHICAL



461



Chautauqua county, N. Y., Aug. 7, 1857, and the farm
upon which he was born, at now Bemus Point, he owns
and upon it makes his home. He has developed the farm
to a high state of productiveness, causing it to yield
bountifully. He was educated in the public schools,
Jamestown Union School, and Collegiate Institute, class
of 1879. He has developed strong ability as a man of
affairs, and has important business interests in Jamestown,
He was one of the incorporators of the bank of James-
town and since its organization has been a director and
member of the executive committee of the board.

A Republican in politics, Mr. Cheney was continuously
in county office from 1905, when he was elected super-
visor of his own county, until the expiration of his term
in 1917. He has served on many important committees of
the board of supervisors. During the building of the
court house at Mayville, he was chairman of the com-
mittee on public buildings and to him is largely due the
credit of a county court house, completed with the
amount appropriated therefor. In 1904 Mr. Cheney was
elected to the State Assembly and served on the follow-
ing committees : Revision, Taxation and Retrenchment,
and Affairs of Villages. In 1913 he was again elected to
the Assembly, polling 3,612 votes against his opponent's
3,537. He was again elected in 191 5, receiving 4,753
votes against 1,728 for his opponent. He was appointed
in that session a member of the following committees :
Electricity, Gas and Water Supply, Taxation and Re-
trenchment, and Revision. He is a member of Union
Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and of Bemus Point
Lodge, No. 585, Independent Order of Odd Fellows

Mr. Cheney married, in Falconer, N. Y., Jan. 28, 1892,
E. Maude Tracy, daughter of Oscar and Jemima (Lent)
Tracy. Mr. and Mrs. Cheney are the parents of three
children : M. Allene, born Feb. 2, 1893 ; Lucile M., born
May 22, 1896; and A. Morelle, Jr., born July 4, 1902.



FRANK W. BULLOCK— Among the class of citi-
zens who have helped to add to the development and im-
portance of Jamestown and Chautauqua county, none
have become more prominent by the force of their own
individual efforts than Frank W. Bullock. He was born
in Busti, Chautauqua county, N. Y., Feb. 2, 1874, a son
of DeForest and Nettie (Blackmar) Bullock. Mr. Bul-
lock, Sr., was a farmer and occupied the old homestead
of ninety acres at Busti, which was formerly owned by
Grandmother Marietta Shattuck, who came here in an
ox-cart and located on this farm, in April, 1819, more
than a century ago. Mr. Bullock's grandfather, Alvin,
was a well known farmer and cattle buyer, and also dealt
in agricultural implements, mowing machines, reapers,
etc. This farm is now in the possession of Mr. Bul-
lock, the subject of this review, who has improved and
is making a fruit farm of it.

The early education of Frank W. Bullock was secured
in the schools at Busti and the Sugar Grove Seminary at
Sugar Grove, Pa. Later he took up a course in elec-
tiical engineering with the International Correspondence
School, of Scranton, Pa. At the age of seventeen he
accepted a position with the electric light plant at Lake-
wood, and during this time he received practical experi-
ence in power plant operations and the repairs of genera-
tors and other electrical apparatus. He worked in all



branches of the trade and in this he received the practical
knowledge which served him so well in the years that
followed. He was with this company three years when,
Oct. II, 1894, he accepted a position with the Jamestown
Electric Lighting and Power Company. For four
months he did the inside wiring for the company and then
was promoted to operating engineer in the p<jwer house,
continuing thus until 1000, when he was made superin-
tendent, a position which he still holds, as well as being
the superirrtendent for the Western New York Electric
Company. He is a stockholder and director of both the
Jamestown Lighting and Power Company and the West-
cm New York Electric Company.

Mr. Bullock takes great interest in his work, as he has
been much engaged in machinery and the science of elec-
tricity since his childhood. He is a member of the Ma-
sonic order, having attained the Knight Templar degree,
of which he is past commander, having filled the office of
commander in 1912. He is also a member of the Buffalo
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He attends the
Methodist church, of which he is a member of the offi-
cial board. He belongs to the Board of Commerce of
Jamestown, and the National Electric Light Association
of New York City.

At Jamestown, April 7, 1900, Mr. Bullock was united
in marriage with Cassie, daughter of Alvero and Alice
(Foster) Mathews, of Jamestown. Mr. and Mrs. Bul-
lock are the parents of a son, Frederick, who is attend-
ing the public schools of Jamestown.

Mr. Bullock's thorough business qualifications, his
knowledge of electricity and motive power, as well as his
energy and strict integrity in business relations, have won
for him the warm personal regard he merits.



THE JAMESTOWN LIGHTING AND POWER
COMPAN"Y — In 1886, the old Jamestown Electric
Light and Power Company was incorporated, and in 1902
the present company was incorporated, under the name of
the Jamestown Lighting and Power Company and the
former company was merged into the new one. The
purpose of the company was to supply electric light and
power to citizens, manufacturing plants, and other insti-
tutions in Jamestown, Ellicott and Celoron. The old
plant was situated at Nos. 9 to 11 Race street, on the
west side of Brooklyn Square of Jamestown, N. Y.

In 1909, Messrs. A. N. and S. B. Broadhead, bought
out the Jamestown Lighting and Power Company, and a
new sub-station was built during the years 1910 and 191 1
at No. 101 Washington street, and power was also ob-
tained from the Jamestown Street Railway Company The
current is generated at the Jamestown Street Railway
Power Company's power plant, located at the boat land-
ing in Jamestown. This current from the power house
is delivered to the sub-station at No. loi Washington
street and is transformed to the proper voltage for direct
and alternating current. The general offices of the com-
pany are situated at No. 316 North Main street. The
company is incorporated under the New York State laws
with the following officers : President, A. N. Broadhead ;
vice-president, S. B. Broadhead ; treasurer and secretar>',
Eric Sundholm; superintendent, F. W. Bullock. In 1916,
this company purchased the Falconer Electric Light plant.



46j



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



and current is now furnished to Falconer and town of
Poland.

In igii. tlie Western New York Electric Company,
which is relatively close to the Jamestown Lighting and
Power Company, was organized and incorix>rated with
the following officers : President, A. \. Broadhead ;
vice-president. S. B. Broadhead : secretary, \V. R. Rey-
nolds : treasurer. Eric Sundholm: superintendent, F. \\'.
Bi'llock. Power and light is now furnished by this com-
pany at Jamestown to both sides of Chautauqua Lake
which includes the towns of Lakewood, Bcmus Point,
Busti, Harmony, Chautauqua, Ellery and Ellicott.



CLARENCE DAVID JACKWAY, although now
living at Huron, Ohio, is a native of Chautauqua county,
X, Y.. and is part owner of a substantial fishery enter-
prise centering at Barcelona, Chautauqua county, which
business for the last decade or so has found steady em-
ployment for about thirty men.

He was born in Barcelona. X. Y., Sept. 7, 1S75, the son
of John and Adeline c Fisher) Jackway. Thc'jackway
family is of British origin, both parents of Clarence D.
having been born in England, where his father followed
the precarious and perilous occupation of fishing. To
better his condition John Jacknvay came to America, and
settled at Barcelona, and upon Lake Erie followed his
original occupation, fisherman. He was the father of a
large family, Clarence D. being one of eleven children
born to his parents, and they were all young when his
father died. The elder boys had to work for a living,
and to provide sustenance for the mother and the younger
children as soon as that great calamity came to the
family.

Clarence X>. Jackway was adopted by an uncle soon
after his father's death, the uncle becoming responsible
for the boy"s wellbeing until he attained his majority. But
as Clarence D. grew into manhood, he was drawn into
the alluring and adventurous occupation followed by his
father, and although, until IQOS, he did not con.fine him-
self to fishing, most of his years of labor since he
reached man's estate have been passed in undertakings
rx;rilous and otherwise, profitable and otherwise, upon
Lake Eric. In 1908, he formed business partnership with
a man of his native place, and he and his partner, Her-
man Lart, then established the Barcelona Fish Company,
which iocm became a flourishing business. It developed
steadily until at the present time the partners own and
keep in constant use during the season eight fishin„'
schooners and other boats, finding employment for thirty
mf.-n. .\Ir. Jackway undertakes the commercial phase of
the company's affairs, and his partner, Herman Lart,
supervises the operation of the boats. Roth are sub-
stantial men of industry, who have succeeded by the
adoption of gwd and logical business methods, but
mainly by applying themselves industriously to that
business.

Mr. Jackway married, April 14, i8fj8, .'\rras Wilson, of
Fredonia. X. Y. They have three children : Flovd Wil-
liam, Ethel Irene. Ruth Margaret. The children are all
Ixring ediirated in Huron, Ohio, which is now the home of
the family.

Clarr-nce D. Jackway is a member of a Huron. f;hii,,
I'xige of the IndciH.-ndent Order of Odd I'rllows ; and



politically he is a Republican, but of independent mind.
He has fixed convictions upon certain national subjects,
and does not hesitate to follow those convictions even
though they might temporarily draw him from his gen-
eral allegiance to the Republican party. In general char-
acteristics, Mr. Jackway is a man of outspoken frank-
ness, but of pleasing disposition. His success in life is
noteworthy, especially when one considers the handicaps
of his early days.



ROBERT LIVINGSTON NEWTON— One of the

leading representatives of Irving, N. Y., is Robert Liv-
ingston Xewton, who has been a resident of this com-
munity for nearly fifty years and to-day is the owner
of extensive farm lands which cover 250 acres.

Henry Newton, father of Robert Livingston Newton,
was a farmer and mill owner during his lifetime. He
married Harriett Lothridge, and they became the parents
of six children: Sarah, wife of George H. Potter;
Henry; Frances, wife of Albert Avery, of Battle Creek.
Mich.; Melinda; Robert L., the subject of this review;
and Lora, all now deceased, except Robert L.

Robert Livingston Newton was born June 26, 1844, at
Irving, N. Y. After attending the district schools and
graduating from the academy at Fredonia, N. Y., he
learned the trade of miller with his father who ran the
Irving Mill. This mill was burned in i8.s8 and was re-
built and destroyed again by fire in 1861. After a year
his father bought the Laona Mill, and a little later Rob-
ert L. bought it from his father, selling it in 1869 and
buying a farm of 100 acres at Laona, where he built a
large brick house. This he sold in 1874, and then moved
to Irving. N. Y., where he bought a large grist and saw
mill which later was destroyed by flood. Mr. Newton has
resided in Irving, N. Y., since 1874, and to-day is the
owner of a farm consisting of 250 acres on which are
grown all kinds of vegetables together with fruits and
grapes. By means of this occupation Mr. Newton has
become very prosperous, and is a well known figure in the
community. Politically Mr. Newton is a Republican,
giving to public affairs the interest and attention de-
manded of eveo' good citizen. He is a member of St.
Andrew's Episcopal Church. The best proof of his cap-
able management is furnished by the history of his busi-
ness career, but his countenance and personality seem to
make this record appear quite a matter of course.

Mr. Newton married, Dec. 19, 1866, Harriett Moore,
daughter of William and Flora (Rood) Moore, and they
are the parents of three children : Melinda, wife of
George P. Newton, of Cleveland, Ohio; Carrie, widow
of W. F. Nash; Katherinc, wife of A. C. Barbeau, of
Silver Creek, and mother of two children, Katherine and
A. C, Jr.

Throughout his career Mr. Newton has been animated
by the spirit of progress, and he has furnished a true pic-
ture nf the man who creates and adds to the wealth of
nations while advancing his own interests.



FRANK GUSTAVE NORDSTRUM— The domi-
nanl rharartcrislirs in tin- life ,,f Frank Gustave Nord-
struiTi havi- been ambition and determination to progress;
progression, advancement, onward and upward being




-^ '-^



feA#*'







iaobm Jl. JlPetoton



BIOGRAPHICAL



463



words that unconsciously filled his thoughts from early
boyhood until years after he had attained his majority.

Born in Sweden, Sept. 17, 1861, Mr. Nordstrum was
thirteen years old when he came to America, coming to
join his father who was a worker in Antrim, Pa. The
elder Nordstrum had come to this country some time
before, sending for his family, a wife and ten children,
after he became located in his new environment. The
boy found ready employment in the coal mines in An-
trim during the working hours, and at night he studied
constantly to make up for the forced neglect of an early
education. This strenuous form of living was continued
until the lad reached the age of twenty-one, when he left
the mines and hired out to a farmer for the sum of ten
dollars a month and board, with the privilege of attend-
ing the local school. This only continued for six months,
when he went into the blacksmithing business, continuing
in that for several years, when he had an opportunity to
work for a railroad as foreman of a construction gang.
At the end of six months, Mr. Nordstrum went West,
settling in De Moines, Iowa, where for five years he was
salesman and later assistant manager of the store of F. L.
Harbeck, a furniture dealer of that city, continuing his
studies as before.

After leaving the employ of Mr. Harbeck, Mr. Nord-
strum returned East, going to Mansfield, Pa., where he
entered the State Normal School, remaining for one
term ; then he went to Buffalo, N. Y., and remained for
a year as salesman for D. E. Morgan & Son, dealers in
furniture and carpets. Ke then found an opening in the
Iroquois Hotel to act as timekeeper, having the oppor-
tunity of devoting his spare time to the study of the
jewelry trade, which he determined to settle upon as his
future method of earning a living. For a year he re-
mained at the Iroquois Hotel, then in 1891 went to Wal-
tham, Mass., where the Howard and Waltham watch
companies conduct their large factories for the manufac-
turing of watches. Here he paid Zalg Brothers fifty
dollars to allow him to learn more of the details of the
jewelry business, working there for a time and else-
where, wherever an opportunity in that line occurred. In
1896 lie was in Oswego, N. Y., and rode from that city
on a bicycle to Jamestown, where he intended going into
business for himself. Taking a little store at No. 12
East Second street, Mr. Nordstrum entered upon the
career of which he had dreamed for years ; he under-
stood every smallest detail of the work and he gave his
customers such satisfaction that in three years the busi-
ness grew to such a flourishing condition that it was
necessary to enlarge his facilities, so he moved to Main
street into larger quarters. This store soon proved too
small for his constantly growing trade, so he bought out
the jewelry business of Fred Fuller at No. 213 Main
street, enlarged the store to accommodate his large stock
and furnishings, and entered upon the most successful
era of his long and patient preparation. Mr. Nordstrum
has the largest jewelry store in Jamestown, and one of
the finest in the western part of New York State. His
advancement is well deserved, for the best years of his
life were spent in overcoming the paucity of advantages
in his youth and in fitting himself by constant application
for his later occupation.

True to the inborn love of everything connected with
the country of his birth, Mr. Nordstrum finds his pleas-



ure in associating with others of his nationality, being a
member of the Norden Club, and of the Swedish Brother-
hood. He is also connected with the Order of Eagles,
and with the local lodge. No. 248, Knights of Pythias.
He and his family are members of the Presbyterian
church.

In 1893 Frank Gustave Nordstrum married May Fran-
ces Bacon, a resident of Wellsboro, who died in April,
1916. Of this marriage two children were born: i.
Frances Albertine, who married Raymond Bates Bush,
of Kennedy, N. Y., a chemist, at present connected with
the Nestle Food Company of New York City ; Mr. Bush
is a graduate of Cornell University. 2. Chester, now a
student in the medical school of the University of Buf-
falo. Mr. Nordstrum enjoys the respect and confidence
of his fellow-townsmen, and he is devoted to the inter-
ests of Jamestown and its inhabitants.



SAMUEL P. KIDDER— Upon the farm which he
now owns in the town of Kiantone, Chautauqua county,
N. Y., Samuel P. Kidder was born, April 18, 1868. Upon
the same farm, which was then included in the town of
Carroll, his father, Samuel (2) Kidder, was born Oct.
12, 1825, and in 1816 his grandfather, Ezbai Kidder, first
settled on the same farm, one hundred five years having
since elapsed, and during those years the farm has not
been out of the possession of the family. The farm was
originally 300 acres in extent, bought from the Holland
Land Company. The Kidders were originally from Dud-
ley, Mass., and there Samuel (i) Kidder was born.
Later he moved to the State of Vermont, where he en-
gaged in farming until his death in January, 1805. He
married Zilpah Bacon, and they were the parents of four
sons and three daughters. One of these sons, Ezbai Kid-
der, was the founder of the branch of the family of
which Samuel P. Kidder is representative.

Ezbai Kidder was born in Dudley, Mass., in 1787, and
died at his farm in Kiantone, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
in 1879, s nonagenarian. In early childhood he was taken
by his parents to their new home in Wardsboro, Vt., and
there he spent the years until 1813, coming to Chautau-
qua county in that year. He did not remain, however,
but returned to Vermont, coming again to Chautauqua
county in 1816, and settling on the farm in Carroll, now
Kiantone, upon which his grandson, Samuel P. Kidder,
resides. He was a carpenter by trade, and in addition
to clearing, cultivating and improving his own acres he
did a great deal of carpenter work in Kiantone and Car-
roll, erecting many of the frame houses and barns in his
section. At the first town meeting held in Carroll, March
6, 1826, he was elected commissioner of highways. In
1838 he was supervisor of Carroll, and when Kiantone
was set off he was elected supervisor of that town at the
first election held Feb. 21, 1854. He was a member of
the Congregational church at Jamestown, and in politics
a Whig, later a Republican. Ezbai Kidder married, in
1824, Louisa Sherman, who died Nov. 14, 1867, daugh-
ter of Noah and Laura (Hubbard) Sherman, her father
born in Wardsboro, Vt., her mother in Brimfield. Mass.
The children of Noah and Laura Sherman all came in
after years to the "Holland Purchase." Ezbai and Louisa
(Sherman) Kidder were the parents of a son Samuel, of
further mention, and three daughters.



464



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Samuel (.2) Kidder was bom at the Kidder homestead,
then in the towni of Qirroll, Oct. i:;, 1825, and died there,
Oct iS. iSoS. He was his I'atlier's helper from youth,
and in the winter months attended the district school.
Later he was a pupil at Jamestown Academy, and devoted
himself to additional reading and self-improvement, be-
coming a well-informed man. He was the owner of a
farm left to him by his father, which is well adapted to
general and dairy farmuig. He was also the owner of
considerable land in Jamestown. He was originally a
Whig in politics, but later became a Democrat. He
served the town of Kiantone three terms as assessor and
three terms as supervisor, 1S86-87 and 1S90. His father,
Ezbai Kidder, was the first supervisor of tlie town, and
his son. George C. Kidder, held the same office, 1910-17,
eight terms. Samuel Kidder was a member of the James-
town Congregational Church. He married, Oct. 17, 1S54,
Elnora Partridge, daughter of Joel Partridge, of James-
town. Samuel and Elnora (Partridge) Kidder were the
parents of ten children: i. Ida, married \V. C. Parker.

2. Willard, a farmer of Kiantone, married Anna Miller.

3. J. Edward, died aged eighteen years. 4. Henry E.,
married Grace Sherrod, and removed to Knoxville, Tenn.
5. George C, a farmer of Kiantone, married Lillian Van
Duzee. 6. Dora. 7. Samuel P., of further mention. 8.
Mary L. 0. Fanny E. 10. Jay H.

Samuel P. Kidder, son of Samuel and Elnora (Par-
tridge") Kidder, was born at the homestead in Kiantone,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., April 18, 1868, and yet resides
upon the old farm. He was educated in the public
schools, finishing at Jamestown High School, and when
school days were over he became his father's farm as-
sistant. He later took the burden of management upon
his shoulders and now owns the old farm. He conducts
general farming in connection with dairy farming, and
is one of the prosperous and substantial men of his town.
He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and of the
Congregational church. In politics he is a Democrat.

Mr. Kidder married, in Bradford, Pa., Oct. 25, 1894,
Flora VVyman, born in the town of Carroll, Chautauqua
count}-, X. Y., Oct. 25, 1873, daughter of Frank and Kate
(Van Arsdale) Wyman. Mr. and Mrs. Kidder are the
parents of six children: i. Ruth M., born March 22,
1896. 2. Ralph \V., born Dec. 26, 1897. 3. M. Elnora,
born Jan. 9, 1900. 4. Samuel F., born Aug. 5, 1909. 5.
Elliot H., born April 29, 191,3 d- Eunice L., born Sept.



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 101)