John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 48 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 48 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mainder of their lives were spent. The Durand home-
stead in Chautauqua county came into the possession of
the family through the Holland Land Company, and the
original deeds to the property are now in the possession
of Frank Durand Barney, of Westfield. He also holds
the original deed and land of the Barney homestead in
Minnesota, the document signed by Abraham Lincoln, on
March 25, 1862, in behalf of the United States Govern-
ment. The family of Durand traces to Dr. John Durand,
who married in Stratford, Conn., Elizabeth, daughter
of Richard Bryan, and great-granddaughter of Alexander
Bryan. He came to Derby, Conn., about 1685, his resi-
dence being near Edward Wooster's at Derby village. He
had a son, Joseph, born Dec. 20, 1709, died 1792, who
married, in 1734, Ann Tomlinson. They had a son,
Isaac, born Aug. 14, 1745, died in Stratford in 1825. He
fought in the Revolution, being listed in the militia from
Derby, Conn. He married, and his wife, Sarah, died
April zy, 1827, aged eighty years. Isaac Durand was
the father of Fisk Durand, grandfather of Mariett Lu-
cinda Durand, who married Daniel Barney. Fisk Durand
was born in old Milford, Conn., in I7f'6, and died in
Westfield, N. Y., in 1836. He was on the pension roll
of Chautauqua county in 1831 for the service of musi-
cian. He was the father of Nathan Durand, born in
Connecticut, an early pioneer and surveyor of Chautau-
qua county, where, in Westfield, he died in 1839. He
married, as previously stated, Ursula Griswold. The
Durand family has borne arms as follows: Gules — A lion
rampant or, in the dexter paw a cutlass argent hiltcd of
the second. Crest — A yew tree proper.

(VIII) Frank Durand Barney, son of Daniel and
Mariett Lucinda (Durand) Barney, was born at Vernon
Center, Blue Earth county, Miim., May 14, i860. His
early educaticju was obtained in the West, where he re-
mained until he was sixteen years of age. and in 1883 he
came to Westfield, N. Y., entering the Westfield Acad-
emy. After graduation from the Academy he studied
engineering for a short time in Cornell University, sub-
sequently taking a post-graduate course in Westfield
Academy, and then entered Clark &■ Perrin Commercial
College of Huffaln. His active life began as manager



BIOGRAPHICAL



491



of the farm of 200 acres at Westfield, belonging to his
grandfather, Nathan Durand, which he has since oper-
ated along general farming and dairying lines, with a
considerable acreage devoted to grape growing. He also
manages a farm in Minnesota, which had been owned by
his late father, and is now owned by himself and mother,
and on its 300 acres he conducts general farming and
stock raising. During this time, in addition to his agri-
cultural work, Mr. Barney also taught in tlie schools of
Westfield for a number of years.

Mr. Barney has been prominent in social and fraternal
circles, and is a member of Summit Lodge, No. 2ig, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Westfield : Westfield Chapter,
No. 239, Royal Arch Masons, of Mayville ; Jamestown
Council, Royal and Select Masters ; and Dunkirk Com-
mandery, Knights Templar, of Dunkirk. His political
stand is independent, and he is a member of the Univer-
salist church. Mr. Barney is numbered among the most
successful farmers of Chautauqua county, has a wide
acquaintance in the district, and is held in high regard
for qualities of responsible citizenship.



JESSE HENRY SMITH, an enterprising and suc-
cessful agriculturist of Panama. Chautauqua county,
N. Y., and one of the public-spirited residents of that
town, is a descendant of one of the first settlers of that
county, and therefore is worthy of mention in a work
of this description.

Jesse Smith, grandfather of Jesse H. Smith, and the
early settler above mentioned, was born in Raymond,
N. H.. March IQ, 1792, son of Ezekiel and Elizabeth
(DollofT) Smith. In early life, Jesse Smith came to
Jamestown, N. Y., accepted the position of teacher in
the village school, which he acceptably filled, and took an
active part in the afi^airs of the village. Later he removed
to Panama, N. Y., and established a select school called
the Academy in a building situated where the Union
Cemetery is now located. After several very successful
years of teaching, he retired and moved to Riceville, Pa.,
where he purchased an extensive farm and also erected
a grist mill, conducting the latter successfully for many
years. In later life, he returned to Panama, N. Y., and
purchased property, upon which he erected two store
buildings, which he rented advantageously, and he was
very influential in village afifairs up to the time of his
death. During his residence in Jamestown, Mr. Smith
married Emily Dix. who accompanied her parents to that
town from the State of Vermont. Twelve children were
born of this marriage, six of whom grew- to years of
manhood and womanhood, namely : Gilbert, Clement,
Henry Dix, Helen, Jennie, Alice. AH are now deceased,
and Jesse H. Smith, son of Henry D. Smith, is the only
descendant now living in Chautauqua county.

Henrv' Dix Smith, father of Jesse H. Smith, was born
in Poland. N. Y., July 22, 1830. He received a good
education in the schools of Panama and Jamestown, N.
Y., and after completing his studies he acted for a time
as agent for stone pumps. After the removal of his
father to Riceville, Pa., he became interested in the
grocery business and conducted a store in Pleasantville,
Pa., for a number of years, then moved to Jamestown,
N. Y., where he conducted a grocery store in partner-
ship with another man, continuing in that line of work
until his death, June. 1877, the business being settled by



his widow Mary (Nelson) Smith, whom he met during
his residence in Pleasantville, Pa., where she was acting
in the capacity of school teacher. They were married
in Eagle, Wyoming county, N. Y., July 25, 1875, and
their only child, Jesse Henry, of further mention, was
born during their residence in Jamestown, N. V. After
the death of her husband, Mrs. Smith and her child went
to live with her mother in Bliss, N. Y., and for three
years she taught in a school in that vicinity. At the ex-
piration of -that period of time, she became the wife of
Eaton Smith, of Panama, N. Y., a cousin of her first
husband, and a son of Benjamin and Eunice (Dix)
Smith, who were among the first settlers of Panama,
coming on horseback from \'ermont, the mother carrying
her baby, Emeline, in her arms. Mrs. Smith by her sec-
ond marriage became the mother of one child. Helen
Gail, born in Panama, Aug. 31, 1882. Eaton Smith died
September, igoi, and in April, 191 1, Mrs. Smith became
the wife of Joseph G. Hill, of St. Cloud. Fla. For ten
years prior to that event, Mrs. Smith made her home with
her son, Jesse H. Smith, in Panama.

Jesse Henry Smith was born in Jamestown, Chautau-
qua county, N. Y.. Jan. 12, 1877. He was educated in the
school of Panama, and then pursued a short course of
study in Jamestown Business College. He was interested
in farming, having a small farm in Panama, in the culti-
vation of which he displayed indefatigable energy. In
April, 1018, he moved to a large dairy farm at Elm
Flats, near Alayville, which his mother and he purchased
from Mr. William Arnold, and is residing thereon at
the present time (1921). He is prominent in the social
and club life of the region, holding membership in the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Patrons of Hus-
bandry, and the Dairymen's League. He is a Methodist
in religious belief, and a Republican in politics, having
served as one of the trustees of the village of Panama.

Mr. Smith married, June 25, 1908, Elnora Scranton,
daughter of George and Anna (Fay) Scranton, old and
respected citizens of Warren county, Pa. To Mr. and
Mrs. Smith the following children were born : Henry
Jesse. Fay Nelson, Harley Gillette, Helen Mary.



LESLIE ALLAN PEASE — For a quarter of a cen-
tury, Leslie A. Pease has practiced law in Dunkirk, N.
Y., coming not long after obtaining his LL. B. from the
law department of Union University, after a short period
of practice in Niagara county, N. Y. Mr. Pease has won
high standing at the Chautauqua bar, and his literary
ability has brought him further popularity and promi-
nence. He is a pleasing, effective, platform orator and a
powerful advocate for any cause to which he lends his
aid. His able pen has been employed in behalf of this
work, and two of its historical chapters bear his name.

He is a son of Dr. Truman A. and Helen M. (Lester)
Pease, his father a former practicing physician of Nor-
wood, St. Lawrence county, N. Y. The earliest Pease an-
cestor is Capt. John Pease, born in England, who came to
New England with the early settlers and located in Mas-
sachusetts, where he founded a family. Ebenezer Pease,
a descendant of Captain John Pease, was a soldier of the
Revolution, and great-great-grandfather of Leslie A.
Pease. Abel Pease, son of Ebenezer Pease, the patriot,
was born in Vermont and was the first of the family to
settle in St. Lawrence county, his residence in the vil-



49-'



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



lage of Xorth Lawrence dating from 1S2S. He built the
rirst farm house there, and in it died in 1808, aged eighty-
seven years. He was the father of several children, the
fourth, a son. Abel Pease, who always followed mechan-
ical pursuits and settled in the town of Norwood, St.
Lawrence county. He married Sally Clark, of Grand
Isle county, Vt., daughter of Truman Clark, a member
of the \"ermont Legislature, and a man of considerable
prominence. They were the parents of six children, in-
cluding a son, Truman A. Pease, born in the town of
Brasher. St. Lawrence county, N. Y., Nov. 27, 1842, He
was educated in Lawrenceville Academy, and while a
teacher there, in later years, began the study of medicine
under Dr. Joseph A. Jackson. In 1864, after one year of
study, he enlisted in the Union Army, Company K, 193rd
Regiment. New York \"olunteer Infantry, was appointed
hospital steward at Cumberland City, Md., there serving
until the close of the war of 18 5. Upon his return from
the army he entered the medical department of the Llni-
versity of Vermont, whence he was graduated M. D.,
class of 1S67. He began practice at Norwood, N. Y., and
there completed an honorable and successful record as a
physician and surgeon of skill and learning. He married,
June 10. 1868, Helen M. Lester, who died Aug. 30, 1884,
the mother of two sons, one dying at the age of seven
years, the other, Leslie .\llan Pease, of Dunkirk, N. V.,
to whom this review is inscribed.

Leslie Allan Pease was born in the village of Norwood,
St. Lawrence county, N. Y., Sept. 14, 1869, and there
spent the first nineteen years of his life. He was edu-
cated in Norwood public schools, Norwood Academy,
class of 1888, Oberlin College, and finally was graduated
LL. B. from Union University, class of 1891. At Ober-
lin. as at Norwood Academy, he displayed literary and
oratorical ability and won especial honor. After gradu-
ation from law school in 1891, he was admitted to the
New York bar, and in 1892 began the practice of law at
Niagara Falls, N. Y. Not long thereafter he moved to
Dunkirk, N. Y., and has since been in continuous prac-
tice, ranking as one of the able men of the Chautauqua
county bar. He is a member of the County and State
Bar associations, and is highly esteemed by his brethren
of the profession. He holds the confidence of a large
clientele, and is one of the successful men of his profes-
sion. Until 1904 he practiced alone, but in that year be-
came associated with Lyman C. Kilburn, they practicing
as Pease & Kilburn.

A Republican in politics, Mr. Pease, upon becoming a
voter, began taking an active part in politics, the cam-
paign committees employing his talents as a public
sjieakcr to good advantage. Since then he has been ac-
tive as a campaign orator, working under the direction
of both State and National committees and under the
Republican State League. He has grown in intellectual
str«;ngth with the years, and his reputation as a pleasing,
lo!;;i':al and convincing public speaker has kept pace. As
3 writer of prose and iwetry, he is well known to maga-
7.ine readers, his literary work having been received with
favor. In i80, he was elected special surrogate for
Chautau'jua county. In I'/ja he was the candidate of his
f/arty for mayor of Dunkirk.

Mr. Pease married, June 27, 1000, Luna B. Keeler, of
SorwrxA, S. v., and thev .'ire thi- i];irents of two chil-
dren : Helen L, and Allan W.



MYRON MONTAGUE, the oldest resident at the

time of his death, of Sinclairville, Chautauqua county, N.
Y., where he lived in retirement, reached his ninety-
fourth year, Oct. 3, 1920, and died Oct. 7, 1920, his long
life having been a worthy record of successful industry
and useful public work, which included a period as town
clerk of Charlotte tovvnshij), and very many years as a
justice of the peace in the town of Gerry.

The Montague family, in its American generations,
goes back to Colonial days ; it was prominent in the Had-
ley, Mass., Settlement. Elijah Montague, father of
Myron Alontague, was born in Hadley, Mass., in 1781,
son of Nathaniel Montague. Elijah Montague grew to
manhood in Hadley, married Esther McElwain and to
them were born ten children, four of whom, however,
died in early life. Somewhat early in his married life.
Elijah Montague removed with his family to New York
State, locating first in Rensselaer county, but later mov-
ing to Salem, Washington county, where he farmed for
some years. Subsequently, however, he acquired prop-
erty in Cooperstown, Otsego county. Eventually, the
family removed to Genesee county, near Batavia, where
they lived many years, until 1836, when Elijah Montague
brought his family to Chautauqua county, and settled in
Charlotte township, where his son, Elijah Montague, had
a farming property. His wife, Esther (McElwain)
Montague, had been dead for about two years, and his
youngest son, Myron Montague, was about nine years of
age, when he decided to leave Batavia and to come to
Chautauqua county to live with his children. He died
in Sinclairville, Jan. 3, 1862, buried in Evergreen Ceme-
tery, Sinclairville. His wife, who died in Batavia, N. Y.,
Jan. 7, 1834, was buried there. They were the parents of
six children, all of whom they reared, namely: i. Orra,
who became the wife of Charles Coder. 2. Elijah, who
became a prosperous farmer in Charlotte township. 3.
Erastus, who lived many years in Conneautville, Pa. 4.
Esther Susan, who became the wife of Jotham Bigelow,
of Michigan. 5. Electa, who married (first) George E.
Waite, (second) Edwin Putnam, of Sinclairville. 6.
Myron, mentioned below.

Myron Montague, son of Elijah and Esther (McEl-
wain) Montague, was born near Batavia, Genesee county,
N. Y., Oct. 3, 1827. When he was nine years old, he
was taken by his father to Charlotte township, Chautau-
qua county, N. Y., where his elder brother, Elijah, was
prospering as an independent farmer. There the boy was
brought up. His schooling began in the Batavia district
schofil, and was continued in the district school of Char-
lotte township. Myron I^Iontague lived, with his father,
in the home of his brother until he was sixteen years of
age, when he went to Sinclairville to enter upon an ap-
prenticeship to John Brunson, blacksmith. He worked
at blacksmithing for eight years, successively as appren-
tice, journeyman, and partner of Mr. Brunson, but he met
with an accident which caused him to give up his trade.
He then worked on shares on his father-in-law's farm,
consisting of 216 acres. Some few years later he pur-
chased a farin of 231 acres for himself, situated in Gerry
township, and for more than forty-three years thereafter
cultivated it. He proved to be a skillful, industrious
farmer, and greatly improved the property, building a
commodious, subst.-uitial barn amongst other important
improvements. In looi, he being then seventy-four years



BIOGRAPHICAL



493



old, he retired from farming occupations, and moved to
Sinclairville, where for the last nineteen years of his
life he lived in retirement. He was active, and became
a familiar figure in the town, also well known. In his
early manhood, he was an active Whig in national poli-
tics, and cast his first vote for Zachary Taylor, who be-
came president of the United States in 1849; and he
voted in every presidential election from that time until
his death, his last vote having been cast for Justice
Hughes, in 1916, this making a record of sixty-eight
years of presidential voting. Myron Montague was
town clerk of Cliarlotte township sixty-nine years ago,
and later was prominent in local public movements,
esteemed in the district as a man of broad mind and of
good moral integrity. He was entrusted with the admin-
istration of justice in Gerry township for fifteen years,
and that period of his public service was marked by find-
ings which indicated that he had a good understanding
of the fundamentals of law, and a very broad view of
human nature.

Mr. Alontague married, March 11, 1852, at Sinclairville,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., Annie E. Wagoner, a native
of Gerry, daughter of William and Hannah (Camp)
Wagoner. She died May i, 1917, having lived an unusu-
ally long and happy married life of sixty-five years. Her
kindness of heart, and quiet, refined ways, brought her
many true friends during her long life in Gerry and Sin-
clairville. She was a woman of earnest. Christian faith,
and by religious conviction was a member of the Uni-
versalist faith. She was buried in Evergreen Cemetery,
Sinclairville. Myron and Annie E. (Wagoner) IMonta-
gue were the parents of four children : i. George Ed-
win, a sketch of whom follows. 2. Esther A., who has
had a useful, professional career, being a graduate of the
Providence, R. I., School of Nurses ; she practiced her
profession for many years, but of late remained near her
father to care for him. 3. Myra M., who entered the
teaching profession, and was a public school teacher for
forty years ; she became the wife of Cassius B. Perrin,
an educator; her death occurred May 15, 1919. 4.
Frank W., who is well known in Jamestown, where he
resides.



GEORGE EDWIN MONTAGUE, retired farmer,
now living at Sinclairville. Chautauqua county, N. Y., but
for more than a generation a leading resident and most
successful farmer in Charlotte township, prominently
identified with the public affairs of Charlotte, and later
in Sinclairville, where he served as president of the vil-
lage, and in 1917 was elected justice of the peace, was
born March 8, 1853, in Charlotte township, son of Myron
and Annie E. (Wagoner) Montague.

George E. Montague was well educated in tlie district
schools and the Ellington High School. For eleven win-
ters he taught school in different sections of the county,
and during the summers he farmed. In 1880, he gave up
professional work altogether, and resolved thereafter to
devote himself wholly to farming and thereupon took
the Ellis farm, located in Charlotte township, and that
property, which was 102 acres in extent, he farmed
steadily for many years. He farmed intelligently,
adopted many modern methods of farming, especially in
connection with his cattle raising and dairying, and im-
proved the property considerably during the period, add-



ing rnany buildings. In 1915, he came to Sinclairville to
live in order to be near his aged parents. In 1916, he
sold his farm in Charlotte township, and purchased his
present property in Sinclairville, where he has since re-
sided. He maintained an active interest in public mat-
ters while residing in Charlotte township, serving as
supervisor; in 1917, after his removal to Sinclairville, he
was elected justice of the peace of that town for a term
of four years, was a trustee of District School, No. 7,
and at the present time (1921) is serving as trustee of
Evergreen Cemetery, Sinclairville. By political alle-
giance, Mr. Montague is a Republican. He is a man of
literary inclinations, is a very well read man, and acts
as correspondent for the leading Jamestown papers. He
has been particularly interested in agricultural matters,
and is an enthusiastic member of the Grange, Patrons of
Husbandry. Fraternally, he is a member of Sylvan
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; and Knights of the
Maccabees.

George E. Afontague married, March 16, 1880, Mary
A. Ellis, daughter of Lewis H. and Maryetta (Fuller)
Ellis. She was born in Pomfret township, May 7, 1858,
died in Sinclairville, Sept. 27, 1916, and buried in Ever-
green Cemetery. They were the parents of two children :
I. Eva Ellis, who, after passing through the district
and high schools of Sinclairville, went to the Normal
School at Fredonia, N. Y., and eventually entered the
teaching profession, and for eight years was a teacher
in Allegany county, N. Y., and the high school in Sin-
clairville ; she became the wife of Louis Johnson, of
Charlotte township, and to them were born three chil-
dren : Allen E., Ida M., and Richard. 2. Jessie E., who,
after passing through the public and high schools of
Sinclairville, entered the Jamestown Business College,
for the commercial course, in which she eventually gradu-
ated, and later became clerk and bookkeeper in the First
National Bank, Jamestown, which position she held, with
much credit, for thirteen years; she became the wife of
Harry J. Vaughn, of Jamestown.



WALTER ERIE STRONG, one of the prominent
citizens of Sinclairville, Chautauqua county, N. Y., where
he lives retired from active life, and a veteran of the
Civil War, is a member of a family that has been closely
associated with the affairs of Gerry township, for a great
number of years, both he and his forebears having fol-
lowed the occupation of farming there.

Gilbert Strong, grandfather of Walter E. Strong, was
a native of Chenango county, N. Y., removing from there
to Chautauqua county in 1818, and located in what is now
Gerry township. There he purchased from the Holland
Land Company a tract of 120 acres of the practically
virgin wilderness, which he at once set about clearing
with the assistance of his sons. Eventually he brought
this land under cultivation, and spent the remainder of
his active life on this fruitful farm. He at length reached
an age when labor was no longer possible and thereafter
made his home with his son Gilbert, Jr., who was residing
in Ellington township, where his death occurred June
12, 1861, at the venerable age of ninety-one years. He
was a Whig in politics, and was prominent in local affairs.
He married Eliza Palmer, and they were members of the
Methodist Episcopal church. Both were buried in Ever-
green Cemetery. Gerry township. He and his wife were



494



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



the parents of seven children, as follows : Nancy : Electa,
who became the wife of John Bailey; Gilbert, Jr., who
became a resident of Ellington township; Horace, who
died in early life in Gerry township; David, mentioned
below : Orren, who died in Gerry township ; and Mary
Ann. who became the wife of Emery Alverson.

David Strong, third son and fifth child of Gilbert
Strong, was born April o. iSoi, in Chenango comity, N.
Y., and as a lad attended the district school of his native
place. He was seventeen years of age when he accom-
panied his parents in their removal to Chautauqua county,
and there he assisted his father in the clearing and culti-
vation of the latter's farm. Afterwards he became the
owner of a farm of his own, consisting of 120 acres of
the same fine land in Gerry township. He made farming
his occupation through life, and his death occurred on his
place, Oct. S, 1S74. at the age of seventy-three years. He
was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and
was a Republican in politics. David Strong married
(first) Mahala Clark, of Gerry township, who died in
1S3S, and by whom he had four children, as follows:
Electa, who became the wife of Julius \V. Hubbard;
Caroline, who became the wife of Charles Walker ;
Elisha. who resided on his father's farm and there died ;
and Orren E., who died in Gerry township. David
Strong married (second) Sophia McCullough, a daugh-
ter of John McCullough, a prominent resident of Gerry
township, where he held the office of justice of the peace
for many years. Her death occurred at the family home
in Gerrv- township in October, 1893. They were the par-
ents of six children, as follows : Walter Erie, with whose
career we are especially concerned ; Mahala, who became
the wife of Wallace G. Olmstcad ; Paniclia, who became
the wife of Joel D. Damon; Amanda, who became the



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 48 of 101)