John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 61 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 61 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the employ of the Art Metal Construction Company
of Jamestown, resigning in 1916 to become associated
with the Jamestown Shale Paving Brick Company.
After a year with that company war broke out between
tlie United States and Germany; Mr. Fisher applied for
the first officers' training camp and was commissioned
first lieutenant of the ordnance department in May,
1917, reporting for active duty in October, 1917, and in
June, 1918, was commissioned captain in the United
States Army. He was honorably discharged and mus-
tered out of the LTnited States service, March 10, 1919.
He was recommissioned captain of the Officers' Re-
serve Corps, Llnited States Army, May 14, 1919, and
now holds that commission (May, 1920).

.'\fter his return from service in March, 1919. Captain
Fisher became general manager of the Monarch Re-
fillable Fuse Company, of Jamestown, N. Y. He is a
Republican in politics, and in 1916 and 1917 was a mem-
ber of botli the city and county Republican committees.
He is a Master Mason of Mt. Moriah Lodge, a com-
panion of Western .Sun Chapter, and a sir knight of
Jamestown Commandery, Knights Templar. He is a
member of Jamestown Lodge, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, Alpha Zeta and Chi Phi fraternities;
Yale Engineering Society, Chadakoin Boat Club, Moon
Brook Country Club, and a member of St. Luke's
Protestant Episcopal Church.

Mr. F'isher marrie<l. in Germantown, Pa., May 21,
1919, Helen B. Moore, daughter of Henry R. and
Blanche W. (Bartram) Moore. To Mr. and Mrs.
Fisher has been born one child, Sarah Moore, July 15,


first Clcl.iiid in the town of Charlotte, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., to appear upon the records as a land
owner was John Cleland, Jr., who, in March, 1813,
bought lot S3, townsliip 4, range 11, according to the
survey of the Holland Company. This does not in-
dicate the true date of the Cleland settlement in the
tfjwn, however, as he had arrived there in March, t8io,
and two of the Cleland brolliers, Nathan and Oliver,
came in the spring of i8u. Later, the entire family of
John and Thankful (Iviton) Cleland came from Otsego
cotinty, in the southern central part of New York State,
and settled on now section 12, town of Charlotte. This
John Cleland, Jr., was a son of John and Thankful



(Eaton) Cleland, and a grandson of James Cleland,
the American ancestor, who was born in Edinburgh,
Scotland, and came to New England in 1750. John
Cleland, Jr., was the father of Byron Cleland, and the
grandfather of Susan M. Cleland, now Mrs. Henry
Isbell, who with her husband resides on their farm
in Charlotte, the town to which more than a century
ago her ancestors came to join with the forces of civ-
ilization in wresting from the forest farms, homes, and
communities. Clelands from the first bore well their
part in this great work, and those representing the
pioneers of a century ago bear equally well their part in
twentieth century life.

(I) James (2) Cleland, the American ancestor, born
in Edinburgh, Scotland, came to New England in 1750.
He was the son of James (l) Cleland, a man of wealth
and education in Edinburgh, and undoubtedly his son
was given educational advantages in accordance with his
father's position in the city. James (i) Cleland married
a Miss Bruce, and at the time of the birth of their son
James (2) they were residents of Edinburgh. After
the coming of James (2) Cleland to this country in 1750,
he located in Boston, Mass.. and in that State passed
the remainder of his life. He married Thankful Wilder,
and they were the perents of seven children : Samuel.
Thomas, James, a soldier of the Revolution; John, of
further mention ; Helen, Molly, and Hannah.

(H) John Cleland, son of James (2) and Thankful
(Wilder) Cleland, was born in Massachusetts, Feb. 16,
1758, and lived in Plainfield, in that State; he was a
soldier of the Revolution, serving two years, 1778-
1780, in the company commanded by Captain Thomas,
of Colonel Milk's regiment. During his service he was
orderly to General Putnam and saw considerable active
service. He married, in 1780, and in 1807, with his
wife and family of eight children, moved to New York
State, locating first in Otsego county. In the spring of
181 1 two of his sons. Nathan and Oliver, made the long
journey to Chautauqua county, where their brother
John had preceded them in March, 1810, and being
pleased with lands and conditions, made a favorable re-
port, and in the fall of the same year John Cleland and
his family found his sons in what is now the town of
Charlotte. The long journey of 300 miles was made
in wagons, eighteen days being consumed ere the desti-
nation was reached. The homestead farm which they
selected was a tract of 300 acres on lot 54, section 12,
east of present Charlotte Center, where, with the aid of
stalwart sons, a clearing was soon made and eventually
the entire tract was brought under cultivation. The
first settlement was made in Charlotte in 1809, and in
March of the next year John Cleland, Jr., was on the
ground, the forerunner of his family who came the
next year — thus the claim, to be pioneers of the town,
is fully substantiated.

John Cleland married, in East Windsor, Conn., April
27, 17S0, Thankful Eaton, of an old Connectici:t family,
born April 12, 1757, died at the homestead in Charlotte.
Chautauqua county, N. Y., Jan. 19, 1844, aged eighty-
seven years. John Cleland died Feb. 16, 1827, aged
sixty-nine years, and both were buried in the Pickett
Cemetery, a plot of ground given to the neighborhood
by John Pickett, off the original Pickett farm. Children
of John and Thankful (Eaton) Cleland: Beriah, born

Nov. 15, 1 781; Edna, born June 28, 1782; Samuel, born
Sept. I, 1784, died in infancy; James, born Sept. 26,
1786, died in infancy; Samuel (2), born May 14, 1788;
Thankful, born April 22, 1790; John and James (2)
(twins), born Feb. 19, 1792; Oliver, born Oct. 25,
1793; Nathan, born March 5, 1795; Martin, born April
10, 1797.

(HI) John (2) Cleland, son of John (i) and Thank-
ful (Eaton) Cleland, was born in Plainfield, Mass.,
Feb. 1 9, 1792, died in Charlotte, Chautauqua county,
N. Y., and was buried in Pickett Cemetery. He was
brought to New York State by his parents in 1807, re-
maining with them in their sojourn in Herkimer and
Otsego counties, until the spring of 1810, when he made
the long journey through the scarcely settled country to
Chautauqua county, finally settling in what is now
Charlotte. He took up a tract of 120 acres on lot 54,
and in the records is given as a purchaser of lot 53,
township 4, range 11, of the Holland Land Company's
survey, in 1813; when the remainder of the family came
in 181 1, they too, settled in Charlotte, making a very
important addition to the male population of the town.
John (2) Cleland continued active in farm life until
incapacitated by the weight of the years which he
carried. The Cleland brothers, Samuel, John, Oliver,
and Nathan, were men of great strength and endur-
ance and also were men of strong character and upright
life. All lived to be very old men, and at the time of
publishing Young's "History of Chautauqua County,"
1875, their ages were thus given: Samuel, eighty-seven;
John, eighty-three ; Oliver, eighty-one ; Nathan, the
youngest of the four, lived to be ninety-two. The line
of Nathan Cleland is traced in this work in reviews of
the lives of Dr. Charles S. Cleland, and of his brother,
Owen M. Cleland.

John (2) Cleland married, April 12, 1812, Hannah
Pickett, born Feb. 13, 1795, died Feb. 9, 1873, and was
buried in Pickett Cemetery. She was of the Pickett
family of Charlotte, the first settler in the town being
John Pickett, who built the first log house in the town,
and with his brother, Daniel Pickett, and Arva O.
Austin, were the only families who passed the winter
of 1809-10 in the town. John Pickett is credited with
being third on the list of purchasers of land from the
Holland Land Company, his purchase being made in
1809, township 4, range II, lot 62. He was unmarried
at the time, but his brother Daniel came with his family
in the fall of 1809. and settled upon lot 63. He was
a brother-in-law of Arva Taylor, who also built a log
cabin on lot 63, these early settlers all being related.
John Cleland soon becoming one of the family, his
wife, Hannah, a daughter of Daniel Pickett. The
Picketts were from Columbia county, N. Y., later resi-
dents of Chenango, whence they came to Chautauqua.
John and Hannah (Pickett) Cleland were the parents
of : Darius, born July 28, 1813 ; Augustus, born May 22,
1816; Emily, born Aug. g, 1818; Marilla, born Nov. 28,
1820; John Wilder, born April 16, 1823; Hannah, born
May 18, 1825 ; Byron, of further mention.

(IV) Byron Cleland, youngest son of John (2) and
Hannah (Pickett) Cleland, was born at the homestead
in the town of Charlotte, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
Oct. 27, 1830. died at his home in the village of Cassa-
daga, in the town of Stockton, April 9, 1916, an octo-



genarian. He attended the district schools near his
home in Charlotte, also tlie old Fredonia Academy. He
was very well educated for those years. He followed
school teaching for a number of years, beginning at the
age of sixteen : he taught several years in the South
before the Civil War. After his marriage he returned
to the old homestead to take care of his parents, which
he did until their death, remaining on the farm as long
as he could work a farm, then moved to Cassadaga, on
a small farm, and there spent the remaining years of
his long and useful life. He was a farmer all his life.
He died at the age of eighty-six, and was buried in
Cassadaga Cemetery, beside his first wife and two sons.

Byron Cleland married (.first") Sept. 22, 1S56, Lu-
cinda E. Hill, of Cherry Creek. Chautauqua county. N.
v.. who died Aug. 22. 1S94, and is buried in Cassadaga
Cemetery. They were the parents of: i. Jennie V.,
born Feb. 14, 1S5S, died Aug. 14, 1890; she married.
Oct. 31. I&?0. Edgar Collor. of Lowell. Mich. 2-3-4.
John. James, and Jason (triplets), born June 26. 1861,
the last-named dying in infancy; John and James grew
to manhood and both died Jan. 28. 1883. 5. Susan M.,
of further mention. Byron Cleland married (second)
Mrs. Lucy Gree.

(V") Susan ^L Cleland. youngest daughter of Byron
Cleland and his first wife. Lucinda E. (Hill) Cleland,
was horn at the home of her parents in Charlotte, Chau-
tauqua county, N. Y., June 25. 1S65. She was educated
in the public schools and followed teaching for a num-
ber of years before her marriage. Dec. i, 1886, to Erie P.
Pickett, a farmer of Charlotte, who died Jan. 24, 1906,
leaving two children : Fern, wife of Walter Lamkin,
of Fredonia. N. Y. ; Ralph Alanson, a farmer of the
town of Stockton ; he married Myrtle Bussing. Mrs.
Susan yi. (Cleland) Pickett married (second) Henry
Isbell. born Oct. 22, i860, in Pittsburgh, Pa., a son of
Richard and Ansty (McCarthy) Isbell, his father born
in England, died in Cattaraugus county, N. Y. He re-
ceived his early education in the public schools of
Pittsburgh, and after leaving school entered the employ
of the Buftalo Southwestern Railroad, continuing until
1907. becoming a foreman of construction. In 1907,
Mr. Isbell gave up his work with the railroad and came
to Charlotte, where he purchased a farm of forty
acres, which he cultivates and causes to produce abun-
dantly. Mr. Isbell married (first) Anna Densen, who
died at Cherry Creek, N. Y., leaving two children :
Jennie, who married Bey Fox. a farmer; and Nellie,
who married Walter B. Hall.

Mrs. Isbell is a member of the Baptist church and
active in church work. Mr. Isbell is a Democrat in
politics, a meml>er of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and of the Knights of the Maccabees.

CHARLES MORRIS WAITE— Since the organiz-
ali'^n of the ConcwanKo \'allty National Bank, Jan. i,
1907. at Concv.antio \allcy village, Mr. Waite has been
its assistant cashier and cashier successively. Conc-
wango \'alley village lies on both sides of the line
bctv.ecn Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties, the
bank building being on the Cattaraugus side, Mr.
Waitc'?. horn'- on the Chautauqua side. Mr. Waite is of
N'-w England ancestry, his father, Galusha Miner
Waite, l>eing of Vermont birth and parentage, (^alusha

M. W'aite, a lumberman and farmer, settled in the town
of Poland. Chautauqua county, N. Y. He married Jane
Bunce, who was born in Cattaraugus county, N. Y.

Charles M. Waite, son of Galusha M. and Jane
(Bunce) Waite, was born in the town of Poland, Chau-
tauqua county, N. Y., March 5, 1S55. He was educated
in public schools, and the Chamberlain Institute at
Randolph. N. Y., and began his business career imme-
diately after graduation. He taught school for one
term, then accepted a position as clerk in the store of
Aldricli & Pratt, at Kennedy. About three years later
Mr. Pratt withdrew and Mr. Waite and Orlando Sweet-
land entered the firm with Mr. Aldrich, under the firm
name of Aldrich, Sweetland & Waite. After a short
time spent with this firm, Mr. Waite went into business
for himself at Watts Flats, and later took a position
as a salesman with B. F. Lounsberry. After a short
period in the employ of Mr. Lounsberry, Mr. Waite
entered the office of the Breed Furniture Company, of
Jamestown, which position he left to enter the employ
of the Chautauqua County National Bank as teller,
where he remained for eight years. He then became
associated with C. F. Munson, of Jamestown, a manu-
facturer of wooden mantles, then, in partnership with
H. A. Doring and Af. E. Town, began the manufacture
of mattresses. Two years later he returned to the
bank, which in the meantime had become a trust com-
pany, and later reorganized and known as the National
Chautauqua County Bank, its present name. Here he
remained for eight years, when, his health failing, he
assumed charge of the farm of Charles M. Dow, in
Randolph. About eighteen months later, in January,
1907, Mr. Waite accepted a position as assistant cashier
with the Conewango Valley National Bank, which was
then being reorganized. L^pon the death of Horace
Wells, cashier, Mr. Waite succeeded to that position,
which position he now holds.

Mr. Waite married, Oct. 8, 1876, in Kennedy, Chautau-
qua county, N. Y., Carrie Aldrich. daughter of George
A. and Huldah S. (Eaton) Aldrich. Mrs. Waite died
in January. 1907, leaving two sons : George Burton,
born in 1878. who married Elizabeth Bentley, and they
reside in Jamestown, and have one child, a daughter,
Carrie; and James Aldrich. born in 1880, who married
Josephine Colenso, and they reside in Jamestown, and
are the parents of two children, Alice and Robert.

GLENN D. CLARK— Among the successful and re-
spected citizens of Ellicott township, Jamestown,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., should be mentioned Glenn
D. Clark, a member of one of the old families of the
neighljorhood, and a son of Cary and Laura H. (Cole)
Clark, lifelong residents of the place. Cary Clark was
apprenticed to a local shoemaker to learn the trade
when but twelve years of age, and after five years of
training engaged in the same line of business on his
own account, following the same for many years.

Glenn D. Clark was born Feb. 7, 1881, at Jamestown,
and as a boy attended the public schools of the city.
For a number of years Mr. Clark has been engaged in
the plastering and brick laying business. He is well
and favorably known to his fellow-citizens and enjoys
an enviable reputation among them for his honesty and
for the accommodating spirit and skill with which he

Cl)arIcG £0, mnitt



discharges his duties, and his public-spirited interest in
the community. He is a Republican in politics, and
takes a keen and intelligent interest in the vital ques-
tions and issues of the times. He is a member of the
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and in religious
belief is a Methodist, he and the members of his family
attending the church of that denomination at James-

Glenn D. Clark married, Sept. 28, 1902, at Bemus
Point, N. Y., Gladys Gates, born at Fluvanna, N. Y.,
Nov. 28, 1883, a daughter of Albert C. and Corinnie
(Brown) Gates, of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Clark
are the parents of two children : Cecil G., born Aug. 9,
1903, at- Jamestown, N. Y, ; and Lester F., born May
16, 1905, at Fluvanna.

HENRY C. DRAKE— Among the representative
citizens of Fredonia must be numbered Henry C. Drake.
During his residence in this town he has become closely
and influentially identified with her leading interests,
and no movement looking toward better things for
Fredonia is without his generous support.

Henry C. Drake was born in Mayville, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., Sept. 26, 1873, the son of the late Dexter
M. and Helen (Kirk) Drake; the Drake family being
Stockton pioneers, and the Kirk family settling in the
town of Charlotte about the year 1816. His youth was
spent in Sinclairville, where he attended the public
school, and he later was graduated from Jamestown
Business College. The five years following he was a
reporter on the Jamestown "Journal," subsequently
returning to Sinclairville, where he conducted the
"Leader-Commercial" for three years, going thence to
Fredonia to work on the "Censor." At this time he
returned to his chosen profession of shorthand re-
porting, and was appointed court stenographer for
Chautauqua county in 1905, which position he still holds
(1921). Mr. Drake has always extended his aid and
cooperation to any cause or movement which in his
judgment makes for progress in any department of the
town's and county's life. He is not self-seeking or am-
bitious for political honors, but he was thrice elected
unopposed to the position of president of the village
of Fredonia. He was a member of the school board
for two terms. He also is justice of the peace of the
town of Pomfret, having been elected to that office in
1902. During the World War he was chief clerk on
the Draft Board No. I. of Chautauqua county. He is
a past master of Forest Lodge, No. 166, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons.

Mr. Drake married, Oct. 14, 1896, Ada F. Tate, of
Fredonia. N. Y.

EDWIN R. HOPKINS, M. D.— Among the promi-
nent men of Chautauqua county who have been identi-
fied with the medical profession for a great number
of years is Dr. Edwin R. Hopkins, who has accom-
plished results which rebound greatly to his credit. He
is one of those scholarly physicians whose deep research
into the fields of medicine has peculiarly fitted him for
the practice of his chosen career. That tribute of re-
spect and admiration which is justly given to those men
who have worked their way to positions of prominence

in the community is due him, and his ability is amply
attested by the success he has achieved.

Ezra Hopkins, father of Dr. Edwin R. Hopkins, was
a farmer late in life. He married Catherine Johnson,
and they were the parents of nine children : Edwin R.,
mentioned below; Emily E., Franklin E., Josephine L.,

Alfred, Byron J., Ida M., wife of Wolcate, of

Sherman; Grant S.. and Katherine M.

Dr. Edwin R. Hopkins was born May 21, 1848, in
Westfield, N.-Y., the son of Ezra and Catherine (John-
son) Hopkins. He attended the public schools in West-
field and Westfield Academy. Choosing the medical
profession, he entered the medical department of the
University of Buffalo, and was graduated with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine, class of 1877. After
serving an interneship at the Buffalo General Hospital,
he was appointed resident physician there for one year,
and then came to Silver Creek, where he opened an
office and has since been actively engaged in his pro-
fession here, devoting much of his time to surgery and
general practice. Dr. Hopkins stands high in his pro-
fession in Chautauqua county, and his counsel in sur-
gical and important medical matters is sought and his
influence is always exerted for good. When he oper-
ates it is for the benefit of the patient, it is not for his
gratification nor for the fee. He has always had an
instinctive love for his work, the good he could do his
fellowmen, and he has never swerved from duty.

Professionally, Dr. Hopkins is a member of the
Chautauqua County Medical Society, and fraternally, he
affiliates with the Free and Accepted Masons. It is with
the Republicans that he casts his vote, and no man has
more at heart the welfare and true progress of the
community. For a number of years Dr. Hopkins has
been a constant, faithful member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and his activities and interest in good
work knows no bounds.


Father O'Connor came to Silver Creek as pastor of
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in 1912, being ap-
pointed by Bishop Colton, and has won his way to the
hearts of his people, and to the esteem of those who
are familiar with the man and his work.

Rev. Edmund J. O'Connor was born near Guelph,
Ontario, Canada, there spending his youth and acquiring
his early education in Guelph schools. He later entered
St. Mnry's College, at Montreal, Canada, and also was
a student at Holy Cross College, Worcester, Mass. He
next entered Canisius College, Buffalo, N. Y., whence
he was graduated in philosophy and science courses in
1002, receiving the degree B. A. Tlie succeeding five
years were spent in divinity study at North American
Theological College in Rome. Italy, there being awarded
the baccalaureate degree of Sacred Theology, and or-
dained to the priesthood of the Roman Catholic church
by Cardinal Respighi. in the Roman Basilica of St. John
Lateran, May 25, IOT7.

.\fter ordination he returned to the LInited States,
locating in Bufi^alo, N. Y., where he was assigned by
Bishop Colton to the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament,
Delaware avenue (the present site of the new St. Jo-
seph's Cathedral), as assistant to Rev. James F. Mc-



Gloin. After five years of faithful service there, he was
appointed. May 5, lou. by Bishop Cohon, to tlie pas-
torate of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, at Silver
Creek. Chautauqua county, N. Y., because of his especial
fitness to the post, a parish, whose congregation had
been largely increased by the settlement in the com-
munitv 01 a large number of Sicilians.

SIMON JOSEPH KARIN— Among the prominent
attorneys of Dunkirk. Chautauqua county. N. V.. where
he has an ofiice in the Lake Shore National Bank build-
ing, should be mentioned Simon Joseph Karin. a native
of the city of Buffalo, born Aug. 25, 1877. a son of
Michael and Ann (CuUigan) Karin. The elder Mr.
Karin is a native of County Claire, Ireland, and his wife
of Manchester, England. They both came to this coun-
try when young people and were married at Dunkirk,
where Mrs. Karin's people were residing. Shortly after
their marriage they went to Buffalo, where they resided
a number of years, and later they removed to Dun-
kirk, where they are now residing. Mr. and Mrs.
Karin are well known here and are members of the
Roman Catholic church, and politically strong Demo-

Simon Joseph Karin came from his native city of Buf-
falo to Dunkirk with his parents when about six years
of age. but attended the public schools of the former
city for a time. Afterwards he was a student of St.
Mary's Parochial School in Dunkirk, and after leaving
this school at the age of thirteen entered the employ
of the Brooks Locomotive Works in Dunkirk as an
office boy. He remained with the Brooks Company for
fifteen years and was promoted from time to time to
various positions in their office until he became head of
the time department. He resigned this position in 1905,
and then entered the retail shoe business, remaining
for several months. He then studied in the Fredonia
Normal School in order to fit himself for the career
of a lawyer. Subsequently he entered the office of
Thomas J. Cummings, a well known attorney of Dun-
kirk, for the purpose of reading law, and later matricu-
lated in the law school of the University of Buffalo,
graduating therefrom in the class of 1910 with the de-
gree of LL. B, He was admitted to the bar at the
September term in 1910 of the Supreme Court in
Rochester. N. Y., and shortly afterwards opened an
office in Dunkirk for the general practice of law and
has continued in this to the present. Mr. Karin is
attorney for the Dunkirk Savings & Loan .\ssociation
in addition to his private practice, is active in the public
life of Dunkirk, and is undoubtedly one of the lead-

Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 61 of 101)